Skip to main content

Carmen- Part 3

Welcome Students and Teachers to Opera Online!!
Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Bizet's Carmen on Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 at the Academy of Music.

Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Who was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and the sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most impressive singing voice?

Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion!


While you are writing your reviews we have one last Carmen video clip! As you have seen over the past few weeks the music from Carmen has inspired many musician and artist. This last clip is of a violin concerto that was created using Bizet's inspiring music. The "Fantasy on Carmen" by Pablo de Sarasate is considered one of the most challenging violin pieces ever created. You can see why from this performance by world famous violinist Sarah Chang. The orchestra is conducted by the famous opera tenor and conductor, Placido Domingo.






Opening Night Philadelphia!
Want to see Carmen again? On September 30, at 8 PM the Opera Company of Philadelphia is hosting a free, public simulcast of the opening night of Bizet’s Carmen at the historic Independence Hall. Come listen to world-class opera in Philadelphia's most iconic public places. Bring a blanket and a pinic and join us for opening night under the stars! Click here to register and learn more about this performance!

Comments

Anonymous said…
MDS-BCMS

For Carmen I did visual arts. I liked how they made the background crowded with people. They also made costumes different for each scene. The characters were changing their hair and make up to change with the scenes. The other people had different clothes to show different religions. Carmen especially changed after many scenes like she could be lively one scene and dull the next. In the bullfight arena they had words on the wall. That is the visual elements I saw
Anonymous said…
GSWS-BCMS:
Visual Arts
The setting of Carmen changed every intermission. The setting was very beautiful. It seemed to have lots of colors and even the time of day in the background. The setting of the bar was darker and duller. The last setting in Act 4 was much brighter and more vibrant. Most scenes were bright and hooking. There were a lot of positive areas in each scene. There was mostly straight lines in all scenes. The texture in Act 1 looked like it was very rough. The 3D art was professional and interesting.
Anonymous said…
SPC-Bala Cynwood

The opera, Carmen was a beautiful opera. For Carmen I chose to look at the dance and movement arts. Carmen was a mostly locomoter opera because they were always moving. The opera was smooth and at some parts very tense. The singers were everywhere. Some were high on the tables and some were low on the ground. They were using the whole stage and moving everywhere. The time was slow and relaxed with little emphasis.
Anonymous said…
JDC BCMS-In the opera Carmen the dance and movement is Carmen does not need a lot of space was not a little but not a lot. Carmen move mostly her feet and arms not the head a lot. Don Jose used little space he did less movement than Carmen. Don Jose mostly walk or run. Don Jose moves a lot his arm. The bullfighter does move and has a lot of energy. Carmen energy is a lot but in a difference way than other character. The bullfighter movement is mostly walking and waving to the people. Carmen seems to kneel to see what the cards say. Don Jose goes on his knee a lot.
Anonymous said…
Peter-BCMS

My class recently saw the opera “Carmen” by George Bizet. My teacher told us to focus on one element throughout the opera and I chose the musical element. This opera had a HUGE amount of music in it (like any other opera) because the whole thing was in song. I really liked the story and music of this opera too. My favorite song was “Habanera”.
Anonymous said…
JEG - BCMS

I have recently seen the opera Carmen. It was a great opera and now I will do a review of the music elements of Carmen. The music in Carmen really set the scene. It described what was going on and described it well. The music varied throughout the show with ups and downs really getting a feel for the story. My favorite song was “Habanera”. Overall the music in the Opera was very good and also very emotional.
Anonymous said…
WCO-BCMS The Visual Arts of Carmen

The Costumes in Carmen are relevant to the time period that George Bizet composed it in. The soldiers are dressed in gray, long boots, and long white pants and guns and swords. They remind me of the British soldiers from pirates of the Caribbean. I thought the costumes that the gypsies wore were a bit too colorful, considering gypsies were usually poor. Carmen is dressed in a beautiful red and white dress. I think it really suits her character. The smugglers were wearing bright bandannas and sloppy clothing and uncouth hair. Escamillo, the bullfighter is sporting an amazing robe decorated to suit his profession he has a slick haircut, something that must have taken a while in the dressing room. And, he also has a classic bullfighters’ sword, obviously used for torturing and killing the poor animal.

The set is amazing in detail to the environment and the area. For example, there were crates and hay outside the cigarette factory and snow and makeshift tents in the mountains where the gypsies set up camp. It was obviously the same basic set, but the way they changed it in small detail was incredible. I especially liked the tavern scene because of the table and the food. It really set the restaurant feel. I thought the visual arts for the opera Carmen were amazing. I would rate it a 5 out of 5.
Anonymous said…
MC- BCMS


Carmen, the opera, was much different then you would expect. The literacy elements seemed much different in the libretto than the real opera. The plot seemed much more organized than it seemed in the opera over the libretto. In the libretto, Don Jose seemed much more villainous- you just have to feel for him a little. Carmen seemed brave-she stood up to Don Jose in the wake of death, and Zuniga, going to jail. The conflict felt much better weaved in the opera than the libretto, as it had support of the other elements, not found in the libretto. The climax was truly a change- Carmen hates Jose and loves Escamillo. Unfortunately, there’s no solution. Even though many operas have love stories, Carmen is the needle in the haystack.
Anonymous said…
ECM-BCMS: I did the musical arts for Carmen.The musical arts of Carmen are very incredible. The actors and actress’ have to use their diaphragm muscles to project their voice out across the theater. That takes a LOT of practice to achieve. When the actors/actress’ perform, they have to sing slowly and softly but also loud and fast. They have to be able to change their volume very quickly. Some examples from the opera include when Don Jose is singing to Carmen trying to tell her he loves her but she won’t listen. He is singing loudly and softly and the tempo is slow. Another time is when Carmen is singing to all the men outside of the cigarette factory. That tempo is fast and she is singing loudly. So you see now that it takes a lot of hard work and practice to master the musical arts.
Anonymous said…
JCC-BCMS



The musical part of the opera Carmen helped create extra empathies. The emotion on stage was amplified by the music, because of the way the music matched up with the emotions. It also helped to create some suspense. The suspense did keep you on the edge of your seat. But had the tempo been faster, the suspense would be higher, as the tempo of the music plays a tremendous part in the suspense. The over all excitement was big, and the talent and professionalism of the musicians blew me away. The energy level of the music just amazed me. Without the music, Carmen wouldn’t be where it is today. The music matched what was happening on stage and even gave you little hints when something bad was going to happen. Over all the music of Carmen was amazing.
Anonymous said…
BKP-BCMS: Movement Arts Of Carmen

There are a lot of movement arts in Carmen. For example, dancing.

The dancing has either a slow, fast or medium tempo. In Carmen there

are a lot of different dances in mostly every other scene. Each of them

have a different tempo or “speed”. One of the dances in Carmen only

used a small table top. Another one used the whole entire stage! And

some people dance in one place. Also dancing can have different rhythms

and beats. Those are some of the movement arts of Carmen.
Anonymous said…
SME-BCMS
Musical Arts

Carmen had a lot of the elements of music, I chose this art because there was instruments, and lots of singing. There was tempo when the people such as Carmen were singing. Rhythm, harmony, and melody would also go into the category of actors/actresses singing. There were also lyrics to the song, which the actors/actresses had to learn. Notes were including in making the song and for the people below playing the instruments. For dynamics the music and singing was very loud. Some parts were also quiet. It depended on how the singer’s emotion was at the time. I enjoyed listening to all of the different types of music from the Opera it was interesting how loud these singer’s voices could be! Thank you for putting together this opera!!
Anonymous said…
ACR BCMS- Tempo
In Carmen most of the play is singing. Instead of talking most of the time, they sang. That is how they expressed themselves. I think in most of the songs the tempo was pretty slow. But the beats were also fast. Like, in some parts of the song it would be pretty fast for about two seconds without a break. And then in other parts it was really slow. I think the tempo definitely varied in Carmen. Although most of the measured beats were pretty slow with long breaks. So my review of Carmen and the tempo are, it was very interesting and the tempo and Carmen was great and really planned out.
Adena Rothbard
Anonymous said…
CEO-BCMS
Carmen
Last Wednesday, I saw the Opera Company of Philadelphia’s Production of “Carmen.” I very much enjoyed it. I thought the singing was beautiful, the acting was marvelous, the orchestra was phenomenal and the dancing was astounding but I chose to really look at and analyze visual arts. The first you saw when they opened up the curtain was the scenery. The scenery was beautiful. The stone buildings represented the time period well. The shutters that were blocking off the neighborhood from the smoking factory was torn which represent that they lives in a dangerous neighborhood filled with criminals, smugglers, and gypsies which in the eye of the public were witches. The set changes were seamless from Seville to Lillas Pastias to the mountains to the bullfight the set was exceptional. My last is costumes. Mean wore pants and shirts. Carmen changed outfits every act. For most of the time she wore flowing skirts with a tight fitting corset and top which made up a dress that most women in this production wore. They varied in colors. At the end Carmen wore a beautiful black headdress. I really loved this production of Carmen.

Claire Ochroch
Anonymous said…
Carmen Review

CD- BCMS
In Carmen there is a lot of dancing involved. The dance moves used feet, hips, and hands. This means the dance moves were locomotor. The flamenco moves were smooth at some points and sharp at others. Not much space was being used during the dances. The actors and actresses stayed in a tiny bit of space making it easier to watch them all at once. I noticed that they moved in many directions such as forward, backward, sideways, up, and down. Carmen and the townspeople all danced in different ways depending on the music. For example, when the music was slow, they danced slow and calm. When the music was fast the dance moves were fast.
Anonymous said…
MEH-BCMS: Elements of Dance and movement

In the opera Carman the dancers use their whole body to express how they feel. The actors can tell you exactly how they feel. They use facial expressions, gestures and body movement. They fit their dances to the tempo of the music. The actors try to explain how they feel and what they’re saying. For me it was difficult to understand, but they helped me by using gestures. The actors could go from dancing fast to dancing slow in just seconds. There was a lot going on so movement would let you know who was talking. Overall there was a lot of movement involved in the opera.
Anonymous said…
MIL-BCMS
The opera, Carmen was beautiful and terrific. The actor’s voices were simply splendid and the dynamics of the songs were very upbeat and moving to to me and my class. I also loved the Orchestra and how the instruments nicely complemented the singers and actors. I can’t believe that these singers can project their voices that loud into the audience! Also, the melody and harmony were very fast and sow at times. I also noticed that the dances go with the songs and with the score. The tempo’s of the songs also depended on the actors actions. The actor that played Carmen, was fantastic and projected her voice very loud and I still can’t believe that they are that loud without microphones. the opera singers voices are very low and intense. I learned that it takes a very long time to prepare for a opera. And, it takes along time to study and master opera singing.
Anonymous said…
BCMS MVB-
The amount of drama in the performance was just the right amount. The actors did an amazing job at displaying the love between Don Jose and Carmen. The opera was extremely emotional and you could really feel all of the love, hate, violence, and passion in the actors’ faces and body language. Carmen goes through a lot of mood swings, and I personally think that Rinat Shaham did a good job at controlling them to make them look as if Carmen really loves someone or hates someone else. All of the child actors were good at not making the part where all the run off the stage screaming, into just kids screaming. What I mean by that is in real when you run away you wouldn’t flail your arms and have a blank expression; you would run as fast as you can with a scared expression. On Don Jose’s part, it honestly looked like he was a little crazy and really needed Carmen to be with him. I also thought Escamillo was a bit crazy because as soon as his
Character came on stage he was drinking and kissing all of the women. Machala’s character was very sweet and it’s a shame that Carmen stole Don Jose from her. Over all I think the theatrical arts were fantastic!
Anonymous said…
AMV-BC
For my Carmen review I decided to do the elements of music. There were many different kinds of music in the opera. I thought that the actual music was soft so the single voice was magnified. I personally am not familiar with categorizing music but I know that it’s not rock, pop, hip-hop, or rap. Under instruments I think I saw all the string instruments. I also think I saw a cymbals, wood blocks, oboe and a trumpet. I can’t think of anything else because I didn’t go down to the orchestra pit, I’m judging by what I saw from the balcony. The lyrics were hard to understand because it was in french. Just my opinion why are there operas in english? What is the point of listening if you can’t understand them, if you watch the words above you can’t watch the words you can’t watch the expressions. I really think they should make an opera in english. Lastly, the chorus is sung by the other characters like villagers. 

Anonymous said…
AZ-BCMS: The Philadelphia Opera Company’s production of Bizet’s Carmen was excellent in my opinion. When it came to the orchestral music, it was obvious that the orchestra was extremely well trained, and despite the difference in form between the Habanera and the Toreador Song, it is quite easy to see that despite the fluctuations in form between the two songs, the orchestra holds the songs together superbly. Pertaining to rhythm, the orchestra kept the rhythm steady even when the tempo of the song changed. The Habanera and the Toreador Song are perhaps some of the most famous melodies in opera alongside Largo Al Factotum from Gioachino Rossini’s The Barber of Seville and the overture from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro. When it came to the more romantic scenes in Carmen, the singers pull off a very beautiful harmony of voices between Don Jose and Carmen. You could see almost every type of dynamic in Carmen: piano, fortzando, forte, and more. When it comes to timbre, you generally hear the violin, cello, clarinet, flute, or the trumpet. However on closer inspection pertaining to the timbre, you may also hear the bass, viola, french horns, and more. As I had previously mentioned, the tempo is always changing thorough the songs. Despite this, the songs always have a steady rhythm. This was one of the most amazing performances I have ever gone to.
Anonymous said…
JAG-BCMS Love. In my opinion, the most important word in the opera. The word that describes it everyone’s emotions; how way that Carmen thought that she might have felt toward Don José, how that Don José felt toward Carmen because of one flower, how that Micäela felt toward Don José. Carmen’s entire plot was centered around love. The exposition was when Carmen threw a flower at Don José, which caused him to fall in love with her. However, after a short while, we hit the climax. Carmen decided that he was too loyal to the military, and she decided that unless Don José would abandon the military and become a gypsy with her, she wouldn’t love him. Carmen then fell in love with Escamillo, a bullfighter. The Opera ended with the resolution, where Don José stabs Carmen, which kills her, because he is so angry that she doesn’t love him anymore. The protagonist was Carmen, the mysterious gypsy girl who the men are all in love with, and antagonist was Don José, who had a lot of Man vs. Man conflict with Carmen. Don José argued with Carmen over whether or not their love would continue, before he murdered her. Those two characters caused drama and romance, not to mention an unforgettable experience to the opera.
Anonymous said…
MAH-BSMS

I did literary arts. I personally enjoyed the opera; there were a few things that were okay and others that were great. Let me explain my views. I personally thought the plot was a little weak. I didn’t think a plot involving a gypsy and a solider could work well together and I don’t think the opera changed my mind about that. I think Bizet’s theme was that other people couldn’t control people. In Carmen examples of that are the lyrics she uses for the Habanera and when she tells Don Jose she was born free and will die free. I enjoyed the climax where Don Jose turns from a solider into a smuggler and the conflict when Don Jose and Carmen exchange words. The characters were great in my opinion because they all had clear-cut personalities. The resolution was a little bit sad and kind of reminded me of Romeo and Juliet. All in all, I thought this opera was very good.
Anonymous said…
CEK-BCMS I saw a lot of musical elements in Carmen. The tempo of the songs varied massively throughout the performance, some were slow some were fast. None of them had a very good timber except the Habanera. It’s the only song I remember vividly. The orchestra had exquisite dynamics! Sometimes the piece would be so quiet and then it would be booming and angry. The form of all the songs was pretty decent to. There was some harmony not enough that you could pick it out though. All of the pieces had a nice melody!
Anonymous said…
KL-BCMS
visual art-
I liked how the scenery looked as like a real building.It was nice how they changed the scenery every intermission and the costumes were authentic all the clothes looked different looked and the bull Fighters had the fanciest clothes they where brightly colored and decorated.
Those are some of the visual arts of Carman.
Anonymous said…
ALH BCMS- VISUAL ARTS OF CARMEN
The opera used a medium amount of space of space I would say about 50by20 square ft. The set was the same all the way through except for some props (ex. Tents). Most of the dances did not use up much space. A lot of Characters were on stage a lot and they took up the most space.
Anonymous said…
pwc-bcmsThe music was exhilarating and soft and with so much emotion that that it explained half the story (which is needed if its in French). There was so much control in the volume, pitch, and tempo how those actors could do that with no mic is unbelievable. The music in parts was loud as a war horn or in others soft as a lullaby. It had told what was happening whether Carmen died or sang it told us what she was doing it told us what everyone was doing. It said if the person got all the cards good or bad. It told parts of the story that even if it were in English people would not be able to comprehend, emotions that could not be explained by words. The music in this opera was once so powerful that it put me to sleep (once once only for a minute). The music also had the abilatey to change my outlook on the play, I thought that I would have trouble understanding what was going, but with the music I was able to understand it as if it were in english. ps
you asked for 10 sentences i gave you 10 sentences
Anonymous said…
AFB-BCMS

Carmen had a lot interesting movement and dances. There was Spanish influence in the dance, the performers were very locomotor. They used their entire body to enhance the performance. The performers had a platform so that they could use two levels and maximize their space. The energy level varied, sometimes it was smooth and sometimes it was tense. The performers were looking at the audience or cheating to them. The speed varied throughout the opera.
Anonymous said…
DAD-BCMS I did visual arts for my overview of Carmen. Its saw lots of colorful costumes and creative backgrounds. People had their hair and outfits changed every act to make the scene come to life. Carmen especially had outfits to fit each act and scene. Overall I thought that the visual arts were expressed well in Carmen.
Anonymous said…
MVB BCMS-
The amount of drama in the performance was just the right amount. The actors did an amazing job at displaying the love between Don Jose and Carmen. The opera was extremely emotional and you could really feel all of the love, hate, violence, and passion in the actors’ faces and body language. Carmen goes through a lot of mood swings, and I personally think that Rinat Shaham did a good job at controlling them to make them look as if Carmen really loves someone or hates someone else. All of the child actors were good at not making the part where all the run off the stage screaming, into just kids screaming. What I mean by that is in real when you run away you wouldn’t flail your arms and have a blank expression; you would run as fast as you can with a scared expression. On Don Jose’s part, it honestly looked like he was a little crazy and really needed Carmen to be with him. I also thought Escamillo was a bit crazy because as soon as his
Character came on stage he was drinking and kissing all of the women. Machala’s character was very sweet and it’s a shame that Carmen stole Don Jose from her. Over all I think the theatrical arts were fantastic!
Anonymous said…
TAD-BCMS


I thought that overall Carmen was a wonderful opera, and the libretto was very interesting. I did musical elements for Carmen. I thought that the overall structure and form was good. There was a lot of good planning in the opera. The rhythm of the piece was suited to the opera well. You could really feel the rhythm in the song. The tune, otherwise known as melody was nicely fit to the opera. The harmony really fit in well with the melody. It made a very nice sound. The dynamics of the piece was great. The volume wasn’t too soft, which established a pretty good mood for the piece. The tempo was at a nice speed for the piece. It wasn’t too fast or too slow. I also heard a lot of timbre in the opera. You could really distinguish the different pitches of the instruments.
Anonymous said…
LFM-BCMS

When I went to see the Opera Carmen, I was blown away. The actors were amazing. They were not wearing microphones, yet, I heard the actors clearly from the back of the balcony.

I was asked to focus on the music of the opera. It was a bit of a challenge because everything was in song, and it was sung in French. In Carmen’s first song when she is singing “L’amour est un oiseau rebelle”, the melody is quick and bouncy. The song is that way because she is teasing the men about her love. In the song “En vain pour `eviter les r`epones am`eres”, the dynamic of the song is very dark and mysterious because Carmen is singing about death. In the song “Les tringles des sistres tintaient” the tempo is very fast and sudden. The song is that way because Carmen just started to sing out of nowhere.

This opera is very captivating because you can just feel the emotion when the actors sing. The music is so beautiful, you don’t have to understand the words to fall in love with this opera.
Marquan said…
I read about the opera and it sounded astounding. My favorite character in the opera is Escamillo. He was my favorite because he was a bull fight.
Anonymous said…
I liked the costumes and the sets.I also like the opera because I liked the singing and just the whole thing and how it was set.My favorite character is Micaela because she is just like me and i can sort of relate to her.My favorite singer were Carmen and Escamillio, they had the most impressive singing voices.My favorite part were when they were at that bar.
Zaria 8th grade Lingelbach
Anonymous said…
Now that i've seen the play my impression are, it was a lot of action & dramatic parts of the play. Although I did like the play,I thought the play was very predictive almost as if i never read the story but went to the play i'd know what would happen next.My favorite character is Carmen she was very strong minded, & courageous. For instance she stuck to her word about her not leaving with Don Jose` & risked her life instead.
Anonymous said…
I Thought "Carmen" was fantastic. I was really into it when I went to go see it. I liked the opera because of the costumes , actors, music, duets etc etc ... The play was perfect. My favorite character was Escamillo. He was very brave and everybody liked him. He took Carmen away from Don Jose and married her. I think the costumes and sets were great. My favorite singer was Don Jose. Don Jose had a great voice. My favorite part of the opera is when Don Jose comes to Escamillo and Carmen's wedding, and he asks Carmen is she coming, and Carmen replies by saying no to Don Jose . Then, Don Jose strangled and killed and he told them to take him away.

Nate
8th Grade
Lingelbach School
Anonymous said…
My impressions of the opera were that the actors spent a lot of time working on the opera, and that they were trying hard to please the audience. Overall the opera is well rounded and wonderful. I like the opera very much ,because it expressed lots of emotions like they were real, and it showed in the way the actors performed that they put a lot of work in it. My favorite character is micaela because despite the way don jose acted she still loved him and did anything she could to bring him back; also she was like the underdog in the opera and I like to bet on the under dogs. I liked the costumes and sets very much. My favorite singer was Carmen, also she had the best and most impressive singing voice at the opera. My favorite part of the opera was when carmen sang love is a rebellious bird.
By, jadie 8 grade Lingelbach ele.
Anonymous said…
My Impressions Of The Opera Was That It Was A Play That Your whole Family. The Opera Was Very Good It Kept Me On The Edge Of My Seat . My Favorite Character Was Carmen Because She Was The Woman That Every Man Loved . The Costumes Were Very Creative And The Set Look Very Real .
Anonymous said…
I really enjoyed the Opera called Carmen because each character had to play their parts and they all did so well remembering it and not having to read it off paper. Also the sets were well put together because the characters changed their costume with a different scene. Another thing was that Carmen was my favorite singer because she had such a beautiful voice.
Anonymous said…
I thought that they had thoroughly practiced the opera many times before we had even seen it, I personally thought that the opera was amazing, because it was my very first opera I have ever seen, and my family has 2 german opera singers as friends, from my dad's side.
My favorite character was the person who played Zuniga (or at least I think it was Zuniga) because he looked like my uncle Paul, also because he was funny. My favorite part was when Carmen was arrested.
Steven,8th grade, from Lingelbach school.
Nije,8th grader, Lingelbach said…
My Impression of the opera was that it was magificent , the actors preformed effortlessly beautiful as if acting was their natural born talent. They sung with a strong passion and the true chemistry between Carmen and Don Jose was well protrayed. My favorite character was Carmen because her strong charisma out shined everyone which made her the star of the play. The costumes and scenes were eye-catching and elaborate. My favorite singer was Micalea because her voice was pure and soft. My favorite part of the opera was when Don Jose and Carmen showed their passionate love for eachother. The play had a mix of romance and edginess !
Anonymous said…
I LOVE THE OPERA. All the singers were wonderful. I loved the different sets and costumes. Our seats were not very high, so we had perfect seats. My favorite singer and actor was carmen. I was surprised that i like carmen. Before the opera started, I wasn't sure if i was going to like it and i didn't like it....... I LOVED IT. Every word that carmen sung, it came out with feeling. Every move that she made was fierce. Every face that she made had expression, but all the actors were wonderful. IT'S A VERY AMAZING OPERA!!!!!!!!!!

Nia, 8th grade, Lingelbach
Anonymous said…
My name is Ahmesha and Im in the 8th grade and I go to Anna L. Lingelbach. When me and my school went to see "Carmen", my first impressions were it's big (the scenery), bright (the lights) and beautiful (the costumes) which I expected. I love the opera, I enjoyed it very very much. My favorite character was Micaela, because the way she carried her tune, her hair, and her wardrobe. For me Ailyn Perez (women who played Micaela) sung the best, because when she would sing it would be like, opening a small door letting tons and tons of wind in. It was as if she was singing to my heart because I felt every word she said. My favorite part of Carmen was, when Escamilllo and Don Jose was about to fight over Carmen . Also when the cigarette girls came out to smoke and flirted with the soldiers. That's why I like Carmen.
Anonymous said…
My impressions of the opera were funny, entertaining, and enjoyable. I didn't like the opera, I loved it. The reason why I loved it is because it was a lot of suspense and action and there was so much going on that it was like an action-pact, french style movie. My favorite character was Carmen because she was the most active and had spell-binding moves that made all the guys fall in love with her because she was just that good. To me the sets were basically all the same but the outfits were fabulous. My favorite singer was Carmen. I think Carmen had the most impressive voice out of all the other characters. My favorite part of the opera was when all the smoke girls was fighting because it was just so funny how they all was trying to fight for no simple reason at all.

Jasmine
Anna L. Lingelbach, 8th grade
Anonymous said…
JAG-BCMS-EDITED VERSION
Love. In my opinion, the most important word in the opera. The word that describes everyone’s emotions; how Carmen thought that she might have felt toward Don José, how Don José felt toward Carmen because of one flower, how Micäela felt toward Don José. Carmen’s entire plot was centered around love. The exposition was when Carmen threw a flower at Don José, which caused him to fall in love with her. However, after a short while, we hit the climax. Carmen decided that he was too loyal to the military, and she decided that unless Don José would abandon the military and become a gypsy with her, she wouldn’t love him. Carmen then fell in love with Escamillo, a bullfighter. The Opera ended with the resolution, where Don José stabs Carmen, which kills her, because he is so angry that she doesn’t love him anymore. The protagonist was Carmen, the mysterious gypsy girl who the men are all in love with, and the antagonist was Don José, who had a lot of Man vs. Man conflict with Carmen. Don José argued with Carmen over whether or not their love would continue, before he murdered her. Those two characters caused lots of drama and romance, not to mention an unforgettable experience to the opera.
Anonymous said…
ATP-BCMS

In the opera Carmen there is a lot of movement. There is lots of movement in Carmen it uses movement to tell expressions. Once when Carmen was angry who could tell because she was stomping her feet madly. You could tell even before the bullfighting scene started that it was a bullfight because it had people cheering in something that looked like bleachers and from the cheering. You could also tell where you were by the people and objects around. You could also tell the mood by the pace and type of the movement. Someone would move slow and maybe give an evil little smile if they were about to do something bad or trick someone. Most of the time you can tell what is happening but sometimes the characters mess with your mind. Carmen in my mind was the most confusing character because she just looks mysterious. This is what I saw of movement in the opera.
Anonymous said…
Merry-Westtown School

This was a beautiful last scene. The connection with the bullfight and the "bullfight" between Don Jose and Carmen was brilliantly portrayed in this devastating last scene. I loved the opening scene of the market in front of the arena with all the merchants selling goods and preparing for the stunning Escamillo! The costumes and scenery were so detailed and it just added a great part of the experience of the opera. I was so fortunate to see the rehearsal on Thursday, the day before the opening and all the actors and musicians had an outstanding performance. Thank you Philadelphia Opera Company.
Anonymous said…
MWH BCMS- The Carmen Opera was very interesting and fun. It had lots of visual arts, which is the art I chose. Visual arts that I saw in the opera were everything. The background was changing and affected the way you saw everything, the clothes the people wear, what they were doing, and lots more. The background always changed with the scene, for example when they were in the bull-fighting ring everything was bright and light with the words Escamillio over the walls. Their clothes changed slightly but very importantly. If you were wearing some very very nice clothes in a scene where everything else was poor it just wouldn’t be right. The movements and actions affected what happened and what you saw. Like when Carmen was dancing in the bar or when Escamillio was bullfighting. All of these visual arts that I saw are very important from my opinion, without them the play would be not that good, not at all.
I liked the opera! The songs presented in the Academy are rare because the singers sang with gusto but the other songs were soft and cal. However, most of the opera was loud and long.
Glorimar
Anonymous said…
My favorite part of Carmen was at the end when all of the characters came our and everyone was clapping. It was fun and it was loud! My favorite character was Carmen.
Maru
Anonymous said…
I really like the opera Carmen. Carmen was my favorite character and I liked the way she sang. She has a very loud and very high-pitched voice. She is also an excellent actor.
My favorite part of Carmen was when Don Jose was singing with the other soldiers. I hated the ending! If I could change it I would have had Escamillo save Carmen and fight Don Jose to the death. Then Carmen would be at peace.
Anonymous said…
I really didn't like the opera. The reason for that was because I didn't understand ANYTHING they were saying and I wasn't in a good seat so I couldn't see the translator. I was afraid to look down and I almost had a panic attack because I was so far up.
When I finally felt brave enough to look down I got kind of upset because they killed Carmen. I wish that part could be changed, I mean you don't just kill someone because they don't love you anymore! My favorite character was Carmen, but I wanted to jump onto the stage when Don Jose killed her!
Anonymous said…
My favorite part of Carmen was when they were in the bar. Carmen screamed out a"help!' and people cmae out with guns to help her. It was so funny when they pointed their guns at the guy. It was also cool because it looked like it was going to be a shoot out. I thought Carmen was going to run out with Don Jose when this happen.

My favorite character was Carmen, because it was funny when she left Jose. My least favorite was Jose. He killed Carmen all because she didn't want to get back with him. I would change the ending and let Carmen live and escape Don Jose. Carmen could tell the cops & Jose would get locked up.
Anonymous said…
This was the first time I've ever watched and opera. I enjoyed it because it was very suspenseful. My favorite part was when Carmen was singing and dancing on the table with the other two gypsies. There dance was entertaining. I slso enjoyed the singing and marching in Act I. Everyone was attractive and talented.

My favorite character would have to be Micaela. She has a lovely voice and dressed beautifully. Like most people, my least favorite character was Carmen.Carmen was like a mean stuck-up witch! I would have ended the opera with Don Jose dying with Carmen since they both loved each other.
Hang T.
Anonymous said…
I felt as though Carmen was exciting. It was keeping me in suspense. The actors did their roles good and looked like they were having a good time.They really had be into the play. Also, they have nice strong voices.
My favorite part was when Carmen died. This was my favorite part because she kissed so many men. My favorite character was Don Jose because he killed her and I think she deserved to be killed. I would have ended Carmen differently by forgiving Carmen and letting her live.
Charles H.
Juniata Park Academy
Anonymous said…
I loved the opera. Carmen was very entertaining and the performance caught my eye. It was full of suspense and my favorite part was when Don Jose killed Carmen.

Some of the things I didn't like was that it took to long to get to the point. I didn't like that Carmen was such a slut and was kissing almost all of the guys. Other thanb that, it was good and I wouldn't mind going on another class trip like Carmen again!
Sierra
Juniata Park Academy
Anonymous said…
BSL-BCMS

For Carmen I did the musical arts. I thought the musical elements were exquisite. Really the overall production was amazing, but something about the musical elements in the opera spoke for itself. The forms of the pieces were mostly dialog, but all-around enjoyable. The rhythm in the pieces were either fast then, slow, slow, then fast, fast, or slow. The melodies of the pieces had that spanish pop, but at the same time romantic-like french music. The harmony in the pieces were usually shared between a man and a woman. The dynamics were mostly loud, but occasionally soft. In my opinion, I felt that Carmen had her own timbre compared to everyone else. The tempo in mainly every piece was fast. That was a mouthful,I know, but thank-you for reading it all.
Anonymous said…
The setting of Carmen was so unique and true. I love how it changed every act. That kept things interesting. The costumes were gorgeous and they made this opera so amazing. Something I loved even more was the orchestra. They were so together and smooth, they made the whole show run. They show over all was amazing and even though it had four parts, each part had something different and amazing. Great show!
Anonymous said…
Hello. My name is Gianna. I go to Darby Township School. I am 8 years old and in 3rd grade. I went to see Carmen and I loved it! My favorite part was the first act. I liked it because it had my favorite song in it, "Love is a Rebellious Bird". Carmen is my favorite character. She is my favorite because she sings the best, she is pretty, and I love her dresses.
Anonymous said…
This opera " CARMEN " was very good and worthwhile seeing because it was sung in another language and the scenes were all dramatic. I like the last act the most because it shows how Don Jose felt and cared. He would do anything to get her, and no one else could have her. My favorite characters are Don Jose, Carmen and Michaela. Their characters were good except Carmen being unthoughtful about things she do and says. It was a great experience.

Niyyah Gray
Grade 6
A.M.Y. at James Martin School
Anonymous said…
I really enjoyed the opera. Of all the operas I have seen, this one was by far the most interesting to me. The thing I liked most were the settings. Each time the setting changed it always was colorful and filled with action. The costumes also caught my attention. They really fit with all of the scenes.
Emily Dodds said…
Emily Dodds- Westtown School

During a school field trip, we went to go see Carmen. I really enjoyed it. I found the unexpected twist at the end very tragic, but the cliff-hanging ending to such an opera. The voices of all of the singers were amazing and beautiful. I thought it was really creative how they managed to use one set the whole time adding props here and there to create the scenes. The intermissions were at the perfect times, and always left you wondering what would happen next. This was my first opera and I am very happy that it was, before I wasn't quite sure what Carmen was, but I learned so much about the opera and will always remember it. The orchestra had beautiful harmonies and sounded so great! Fantastic job cast and crew of Carmen!!
Anonymous said…
Carmen is a must-see opera. Carmen makes other operas popularity sink and fade. Carmen is so wonderful it made me want to stay at the Opera Company of Philadelphia and see Carmen over and over again.My name is Kramoh Mansalay.I go to Darby Township School. And that is what I think of the opera Carmen
Anonymous said…
I am Malcolm of grade 6 at the Sharon Hill School's gifted support program of the Southeast Delco School District. I liked 'Carmen' because of the characters, the sets, and the singing wasn't as loud as I thought. That was probaly because I was up high. It was an over-all fun experience.
Anonymous said…
I am Tyriek of grade 6, Sharon Hill School's gifted support program. I liked the Carmen opera because of the background, the costumes, and the character detail. The costumes were amazing. I especially liked how the costumes showed the differences between gypsies and soldiers like Don Jose and Corporal Zuniga.
Anonymous said…
My name is Gavin and I am eight years old. I go to Darby Township School and loved the opera! My favorite part were Acts One and Four. I liked Act One because it was sort of funny and Act Four was romantic.
Anonymous said…
My name's Sasha, I'm an 8th grade student in the SEDelco School district. I believe 'Carmen' was very artistic and different. The setting changed every intermission, truly helping set the mood and causing the audience to be drawn into the moment as the scene played on. The voices were absolutely beautiful and the songs had creative lyrics.
'Carmen' truly captured the life of a gypsy, while playing with the factor of how gypsies never truly fall in love - as when Carmen sings "Love is a gypsy, it has no path, if you don't love me then I love you, and if I love you... watch out!" I also really enjoyed when the characters would change their outfits, but I personally liked the first outfit Carmen had on, since it had more of a gypsy factor to it.
I loved how Carmen would make certain facial expressions reacting to lines that the other characters would do. It really made me feel like I could connect to what she was thinking.

Overall I think Carmen was an amazing show and I'm glad I had the chance to see it.
Anonymous said…
I love Carmen! We did posters and made up new names for opera. Mine was called, "Gypsy Love". It was fun! I wish there was more to it! I have the tunes stuck in my head and can't get them out! I did not want the curtain to down and my friend almost flipped out! So did I. Carmen is an awsome opera and I hope it never goes away! C-A-R-M-E-N-! What does that spell? CARMEN!
Anonymous said…
I enjoyed Carmen. I think that the production was fantastic. I loved how the backgrounds looked real. I loved all the costumes. I especially loved how all the parts were sung beautifully. My favorite part was when Carmen was flamenco dancing in the bar. I would have liked to see what happened to that crazy obsessed Don Jose. I was sad when we had to leave, but if I could get the chance to see Carmen again I would take the opportunity.

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...