Skip to main content

Carmen- Part 2

Welcome Students and Teachers to Opera Online!! Continuing with our preview of Carmen this week we will take a look at video clips from Acts II, III, and IV of the opera and take an inside look at the world of gypsies.

Video Clips of the Week!!
We start this week with Act II of Carmen. Our fist clips comes from another famous song from Carmen- the Toreador Song. This aria introduces Escamillo, a famous bullfighter who eventually wins Carmen's heart. In this clip from 1959 we will see the final dance for the gyspy song and hear baritone Robert Merrill sing this familiar aria.





Our second clip comes from the beginning of Act III. Frasquita and Mercedes begin reading tarrot cards and eventually Carmen joins in. This famous duet eventually becomes a card trio as Carmen reads her death. This clip comes from the 1985 Glyndebourne Festival with soprano Elizabeth Collier as Fresquita, mezzo-soprano Jean Rigby as Mercedes and mezzo-soprano Maria Ewing plays Carmen. (Note: This clips does not have English translations. The translation is on Page 31 of the student guide starting with Frasquita and Mecedes singing "Shuffle! Cut! Good, that's that!...". The clip finishes at the end of the track 7 section.)





Our last two clips are from the final scene of the opera. The first clip is from the 2006 Covent Garden production in London. This scene features mezzo-soprano Anna Caterina Antonacci as Carmen and tenor Jonas Kaufmann as Don Jose. As you watch this scene, listen carefully to the music. Which songs or tunes from the opera come back in the finale?







The last clip is the final scene from Carlos Saura's dance version of the opera Carmen. There is very little dialogue in this final scene? How does the director use sounds, costumes, and movement to show who is Escamillo, Carmen, and the Don Jose character? How does this scene compare to the same scene in the opera? Which version is more dramatic?








Website of the Week!!
The gypsy culture has been around since the Middle Ages. Check out this website on the different gyspy cultures living in the United States today!!


Opening Night Philadelphia!
On September 30, at 8 PM the Opera Company of Philadelphia is hosting a free, public simulcast of the opening night of Bizet’s Carmen at the historic Independence Hall. Come listen to world-class opera in Philadelphia's most iconic public places. Bring a blanket and a pinic and join us for opening night under the stars! Click here to register and learn more about this performance.

Opera on the Air!!
On Saturday, September 17th at 1 PM, radio station WRTI will be broadcasting the Met Opera Live Recording of The Barber of Seville from 1950 . The Barber of Seville is an opera buffa in two acts by Gioachino Rossini. This production has an all-star cast including legendary soprano Lily Pons as Rosina, tenor Giuseppe di Stefano as the Count Almaviva, and baritone Giuseppe Valdengo as the scheming Figaro.


Until Next Week!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
JFW-BCMS:
Everyone expects Carmen to love Escamillo because he's a famous bullfighter. Carmen would love him because he has action and popularity.
Anonymous said…
SME-BCMS

I think Escamilo in my opinion is a good soldier, and a nice guy.

Carmen would be attracted to him because he is nice, can defend himself and is a soldier.
Anonymous said…
AMV-BCMS
I think that Escamillo seems nice so it would be fine if Carmen liked him. I believe that Escamillo must be very handsome and a very good bull-fighter. He is probably quite popular. Those are my reasons that Carmen might be attracted to him.
Anonymous said…
CED- BCMS

Escamillo is a brave and courageous character. Escamillo is daring and risky, just like Carmen. I believe Carmen fell for Escamillo because he is a sneaky, strong, gypsy-like man. Carmen said that she would always be free, until she met Escamillo because she didn't think that anyone was good enough for her. The End
Anonymous said…
SPC-Bala Cynwood

I think Carmen is attracted to Escamillo because he is a toreador and is famous.
Anonymous said…
GSWS-BCMS: Carmen must be attracted to Escamillo because he seems very intelligent. He also seems to be a great singer.
Anonymous said…
JQC-BCMS Carmen would be attracted to the man because he is a famous bullfighter. Escamillo seems like a brave man to be a bullfighter.
Anonymous said…
WCO-BCMS I think Escamillo is a good example of someone who talks like a romantic would 200 years ago. He obviously respects Carmen, and, knowing that, it is obvious she would like him. She also might like him because he is a bullfighter. back then, that was like being a hero. She might like people in position of authority.
Anonymous said…
ACR-BCMS: I think Escamillo is a risk taker and he likes and thinks that Carmen is pretty. Carmen could like him because he is brave, handsome, and he likes her!
Anonymous said…
urquhart-bc

He is very daring. Carmen probably thinks he is a strong bullfighter who is charming.
Anonymous said…
JAG-BCMS- I find Escamillo to be cruel in some ways. For example, how he loves bullfighting, and the goriness of it, even though many animals are dying. I also think that he starts hitting on Carmen too quickly, like when he said to Carmen, "A word, pretty one: what do they call you? In my worst danger I want to utter your name." and, ""If someone told you he loved you?..." I think that he should wait until he gets to know her better (at least learn her name!)before he starts to flirt with her.

Carmen would be attracted to Escamillo because he was also stubborn, and not afraid to tell the person he loved that he loved them, just like Carmen isn't afraid. For example, after Carmen said that she didn't need loving, Escamillo said that her answer was unfriendly, and he would just hope and wait until she loved him. She could also be attracted to him because he is a bullfighter, and bullfighters seemed to be looked upon highly.
Anonymous said…
JOM-BCMS

Escimillo is full of himself. he is very arrogant.that is why Carmen likes him. because she is very much like him.
Anonymous said…
BKP-BCMS: I think Escamillo is a handsome toreador and bullfighter. Carmen is attracted to Escamillo becuase he is a strong bullfighter and a toreador.
Anonymous said…
BKP-BCMS: I think Escamillo is a handsome toreador and bullfighter. Carmen is attracted to Escamillo becuase he is a strong bullfighter and a toreador.
Anonymous said…
MAH-BSMS. I think Escamillo is a flirter and is full of himself. My opinion is supported by the text because he tries to flirt with Carmen and asks if anyone else has said that they love her which is a pretty bold thing to do. I think Carmen would be attracted to him because he's famous and is a bull fighter which in that time was a respected job.
Anonymous said…
MEH-BCMS: I think Escamillo is a nice daring man. i think that because he is a bullfighter who wants everything to do with Carman. I think Carman would be attracted to him because he is a bullfighter who is popular and tough just like her.
Anonymous said…
DAD-BCMS:I think that Escamillo is a bit full of himself, because in the libretto he brags about being in the ring and how great he is. I think Carmen is attracted to Escamillo, because toredors were considered to be heroes at that time, so Carmen thinks he is a hero and thinks he's very brave.
Anonymous said…
JEG - BCMS

I think of Escamillo as a very well respected man. I also think that he is a man of high authority and that he is very famous among the people. Carmen might be attracted to Escamillo because he is famous and relatively powerful.
Anonymous said…
TD-BCMS

I think that Escamillo is a bit full of himself. In the libretto he is very in love with Carmen. Carmen likes him because he has a popular and very rewarding job. He also seems to be nice and kindhearted.
Anonymous said…
CEK BCMS:Escamallio is stuckup.Carmen might love him cause hes practically a popstar.He's there version of Justin Beiber.
Anonymous said…
KVL-BCMS:
I think that carman would be attracted Escamillo because he is supposedly he is handsome, and I think that Escamillo is a good person.
Anonymous said…
M.W.H bcms- I think Escamillo is very famous among lots of people. Also i think that he thinks that he is to good and a little selfish. Carmen might be attracted to him because of his spot in the world, a beloved bullfighter that is so respected and liked.
Anonymous said…
pwc-bcms: my perception of carmen is that she is in love my evidence is that she said she was and wanted don jose to join her gypsy group.
Anonymous said…
MC-BCMS

I think Escamillo is a sweet-talker. For example, he says that he would utter Carmen in his worst of perils to Carmen, which lures Carmen a little. Carmen would be attracted to Escamillio because he is a champion bullfighter, which could place her in the lap of luxury.
Anonymous said…
LFM-BCMS
I think Escamillo is stuck up, strong, and handsome. He is persistent, and he has fallen in love with Carmen because in the libretto on page 25 he says to Carmen, "In my worst danger I want to utter your name." I think Escamillo is stuck up because in song he brags about his victory as a bullfighter. Carmen would be attracted to Escamillo because he is handsome and he is obviously strong, because he is a successful bullfighter. That is my opinion.
Anonymous said…
AZ-BCMS: I find Escamillo to be a nice person with a slightly cocky personality and braveness that would be very useful for a toreador. I think Carmen should be attracted to him because from reading about him, he seems like a more wilder and free air about him unlike the strictly disciplined Don Jose.
Anonymous said…
CEO-BCMS
I think of Escamillo as a man who thinks he is the best because he is the bullfighting champion and thinks he can use this to get women. In this instance the women is Carmen. I think Carmen is attracted to Escamillo because he is the winning bullfighting champion, uses words well and in a way is trying to make Don Jose jealous.
Anonymous said…
AFB-BCMS

I think Escamillo is brave because he is a fearless bullfighter. I think Carmen would be attracted to Escamillo because he is famous and a winner.
Anonymous said…
Peter-bcms- I think that Carmen doesn't know how much Don Hose loves her. She thinks that he is just a normal man. I think that Carmen will soon find the love that Don has for her.
Anonymous said…
Escamillo is a strong and heroic and selfish person and is some what in love with Carmen. Carmen is attracted to Escamillo because she thinks he is very strong and he is very handsome.
Anonymous said…
MDS-BCMS I like Escmamillo because he seems nice. I dislike Jon Dos because he tried to kill Escmamillo.
Anonymous said…
SPC-Bala Cynwood

My favorite character is Escamillo because he is sort of the joker of all of them. My least favorite character is Don José because he has such a short temper and he is really protective and annoying.
Anonymous said…
urquhart-bc

I like carmen the most, because she is sneaky and mysterious, but she still seems nice. I dislike escamillo, because he seems like he thinks he is better than everyone. I think this because he calls himself the Granada matador
Anonymous said…
CED- BCMS My favorite character in Carmen is obviously Carmen. Carmen is free and will always be herself and nobody else. Therefore, I admire Carmen. My least favorite character is Don Jose. Don Jose is a mean, selfish person who treats Carmen badly and does not care what she thinks, he wants to be with her so badly. THE END
Anonymous said…
AMV-BCMS
My favorite character in Carmen is Carmen. She is free spirited beautiful character. She also is very popular, all the boys wanted to be Carmen boyfriend. That is why Carmen is my favorite character. My least favorite character is Don Jose. He says he loves her but the he kills her because she wouldn't be with him. What is the point of that? He should at least force her to like him. It makes no sense to kill her. That way there is no chance whatsoever that she will change her mind. That is why Don Jose is my least favorite character.
Anonymous said…
ALH-BCMS my least favorite character is Escamillo because he's stuck up. My favorite character is Don Jose
Anonymous said…
AZ-BCMS: My favorite character is Escamillo because of his braveness and his "can do" attitude when it comes to being a toreador. My least favorite character is Zuniga because he leads a strictly disciplined life.
Anonymous said…
CEO-BCMS
My favorite character is Carmen because she lives life to the fullest. My least favorite characteris Escamillo because he tries to steal Carmen away from Don Jose.
Anonymous said…
WCO-BCMS My favorite character is Carmen because she thinks because she is pretty, she can control everything and toy with people's hearts and have no punishment. I think that kind of stupidity is the most realistic and that aspect of her personality is the one that is the most active in today's society. I like a link from a character to the real world. It makes the story more believable and I can relate to it more. Still love is cruel and I don't think Carmen deserved the punishment she recieved
Anonymous said…
JAG-BCMS- My favorite character in Carmen is Micaëla, because she is so sweet and smart, and she is kind to everyone. For example, in the very beginning of the opera, when the soldiers were trying to force her to come inside with them, she was smart enough to know that it was not a good idea, and they were probably planning to do something that Micaëla wouldn't want to do. But she was polite enough to just say, "No, no. Many thanks, soldiers." It is also very sweet that Micaëla brings messages and items to Don José from his mother.

My least favorite character in Carmen is probably Carmen herself, because she doesn't seem to care about how other people feel. She can be very self-centered, like when she gave Don José the flower to make him love her, even though he really DIDN'T love her. It was selfish of Carmen to do that, because she was completely changing Don José's life, just by causing him to love her. Then, Don José had to leave to go back to the military, but Carmen was very angry. She refused to love him unless he quit the military and joined the gypsies. Carmen in general isn't very nice.
Anonymous said…
MC-BCMS

So far in the opera, my favorite character seems to be Carmen. Carmen has few lines, but she is clever and charming. I prefer her personality. Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum, my least favorite character is now Jose. Jose is easy to manipulate, and he made some decisions which I dislike. Perhaps my opinions will soon change.
Anonymous said…
CEM BCMS:My favorite character in the opera is Carmen.She is a strong female lead in the opera.My least favorite is Don Jose.He kills Carmen out of grief in the end.
Anonymous said…
MAH-BSMS. I like Escamillo because in the end, he one of the characters that suffers the least. I like him I feel like it isn't much of a favorite character if he dies at the end of the story. The character I dislike the most is Carmen because she toys with people's hearts and then leaves them. I dislike her because she pledges her love to Don Jose then does the same to Escamillo, and that's kind of like an affair, which is dishonest.
Anonymous said…
JEG - BCMS

The character I like the most is Don Jose because I think that he is loyal and smart. Also he will fight for who he loves. The character I dislike the most is Escamillo because I think that he is a stuck-up rich guy who cares only about fame and girls.
Anonymous said…
DAD-BCMS:My favorite character in the libretto, act 3, is Carmen, because in the libretto she is brave enough to go on a smuggling trip with Dancaire and Remendado. My least favorite character in act 3 is Don Jose, because he forgets about his promise to marry Micaela, he is just obsessed with Carmen now and is over protective of her.
Anonymous said…
TD-BCMS

The person I like the most is Micaela. I like her the most because she would travel far and risk losing her life to tell Don Jose that his mother is sick and dying. She also was willing to marry Don Jose when he asked her. The person I dislike the most is Don Jose. He said that he would marry Micaela then he starts to date Carmen. Also, he was willing to let his mother die to be able to stay with Carmen.
Anonymous said…
My favorite character is Mecaela because she is innocent and quiet and know right from wrong. These are the kind of people i like.

My least favorite character is Ecimillo because he is arrogant and is a know it all
Anonymous said…
AFB-BCMS

I like Don José the best because I feel sorry that his mom is dying. On top of that, Carmen only half loves him. I dislike Carmen because she made Don José choose between her love and his lifestyle.
Anonymous said…
AFB-BCMS

I like Don José the best because I feel sorry that his mom is dying. On top of that, Carmen only half loves him. I dislike Carmen because she made Don José choose between her love and his lifestyle.
Anonymous said…
my favorite is carmen because she is nice i know this because she says stuff nice like encouraging jose to go talk to his mother my least favorite character is jose because he want go see his mother who is praying and sobbing for him!
Anonymous said…
M.W.H bcms- My favorite character is Escamillo because he is a great and wonderful bullfighter. Don Jose is my least favorite because he leaves Carmen after leaving his army life and in the end kills her of selfishness.
Anonymous said…
KVL-BCMS:
My favorite character is carmen, because she is not afraid to do what she wants. My least favorite is jose because he was mean to people.
Anonymous said…
LFM-BCMS
My favorite character in the opera is Micaela. Micaela is my favorite character because she is so innocent, helpless, and that brings great drama, which is good for an opera. Also, I like Micaela because it is so sad that Don Jose and her had once been in love and were supposed to get married before Don Jose had met Carmen. My least favorite character is Escamillo because he is the reason Don Jose went crazy with jealousy and killed Carmen. These are my favorite and my least favorite characters.
Anonymous said…
MEH-BCMS: The person i like best in Carman is carman. I like her because she is sneaky and sweet. The people I dislike are the soilders. I dislike them because they are mean and dont like Carman. I think the protaganist is Carman becaus she is the main charecter. And she changes the most. The antaganist in the story is Don Jose. I think this because he is a little like the bad guy.
Anonymous said…
MDS-BCMS

I think Carman is the main character and Jon Jose was her conflict.
Anonymous said…
SPC-Bala Cynwood

Don José changed the most in this story because before he didn't love Carmen, but now he kills her because she loves someone else and not him. I think that the protagonist is Carmen because she is the person in this story. The antagonist is Don José because he used to be fine but now he became the selfish guy who is overly protective.
Anonymous said…
LFM-BCMS
The character who changed the most was Don Jose because he went from loving Carmen so much to hating her like mad in a single song. I would say Don Jose is the protagonist and Escamillo is the antagonist because Don Jose seems like the good guy who is falling in love and it seems to me that Escamillo is was trying to steal Carmen from Don Jose. The literary elements of Carmen are that the fury between the protagonist and antagonist just grows as the story goes on, the characters seem so life like, and the setting is strong and detailed.
Anonymous said…
JEG - BCMS

I think the protagonist in Carmen is Carmen because she really changes a lot and the story is named after her. I think that the antagonist in Carmen is Escamillo because he takes Carmen away from Don Jose and also because ,in my opinion, he is a very hatable fellow.
Anonymous said…
BKP-BCMS: I think Don Jose changed the most because in the beginning he was a good soldier and at the end he tries to kill Carmen. I think the protagonist was Escamillo because he fought for his love and didn't give up. Also Carmen liked him back. I think Don Jose is the antagonist because he didn't want Escamillo to have Carmen instead of him, so he killed Carmen. Some of the literary elements of Carmen are setting: it takes place in Spain. Main characters: Carmen, Don Jose, and Escamillo. Plot: Carmen meets a soldier named Don Jose and falls in love. He eventually dose to. Then Don Jose and Carmen have some conflict and Carmen saids she doesn't love him anymore. After that she meets Escamillo and falls in love with him. Don Jose gets so mad that he forces Carmen to run away with him. When she refuses he kills her. Conflict: Don Jose and Escamillo both love Carmen and try to make her love one of them.
Anonymous said…
GSWS-BCMS: Act 3- I don't really like Frasquita and Mercédés because they force Carmen to read their fortune. I think they are also greedy. I like Carmen because she is wise and talented. She is also unusual because she is a gypsy.
Anonymous said…
CEO-BCMS
I think the character that changed the most was Don Jose because he started out loving Micaela, then Carmen, then for a moment hating her. Killing her! Then realising what he had done. I think the protagonist was Carmen because she really was the main character in the story. The antagonist was Escamillo because he broke up Carmen and Don Jose.
Anonymous said…
AZ-BCMS:I think Don Jose changed the most through the story because he went from a corporal of the Dragoons of Alcala to a bandit and eventually a murderer because of his love for Carmen. I find the protagonists to be Carmen, Don Jose, and Escamillo. However, I find Don Jose to also be an antagonist in act 4.
Anonymous said…
GSWS-BCMS: Act 4- I think Don José changed the most because he loved Carmen and then he killed her. I think the protagonist is Don José because he changed from loving Carmen to killing her. I think the antagonist is Carmen because she seemed to lie to Don José and then argued with José about loving him. I think the literature of the scripts are related to the nineteenth century. The setting seems to be related to about the 1920's.
Anonymous said…
ACR-BCMS: My favorite charactor is Carmen. This because she is funny and nice. My least favorite charactor is Don Jose. That is because he doesn't trust Carmen and he doesn't like Escamillo that much.
Anonymous said…
ACR-BCMS: I think Don Jose changed the most throughout Carmen. I think Carmen is protagonist, because the name of the opera is Carmen, and I think that Don Jose is probably the antagonist, because he is fighting with Escamillo and he is the one who loses in the end. For the literary elements I think that the plot was that Carmen could not make up her mind up for anything, and the main charactors are Carmen, Don Jose, Mickeala, and Escamillo.
Anonymous said…
CED- BCMS
The character who changes the most in Carmen was Don Jose because he started as the good guy and then he turned into the bad guy all because of Carmen. When he changed, this part was the climax. The protagonist of the story was Carmen because the whole opera was based all on her. The antagonist was Don Jose because Don Jose wanted to be with Carmen, but Carmen wanted to be free. This made the conflict. The conflict was about man vs man. Every story needs a plot, conflict, climax, and the resolution. THE END
Anonymous said…
CEK BCMS:Out of all the charecters Don Jose changed the most.Carmen even though shes mean is the protagonist, Don Jose is the antagonist.Carmen has all of the literary elements, plot, conflict, setting, theme, and all the types of characters.
Anonymous said…
MAH-BSMS. I think Don Jose changes the most. He starts out in a respectable position in the army but by the end he is a crazy disheveled man. I think Carmen is the protagonist and Don Jose is the antagonist. I think Carmen would be the protagonist because first off, the play is named after her. Also, she is the one with the most critical part in the play. Without a Carmen there would be no play. I think Don Jose is the antagonist because during Act 3 and 4 he has many conflicts with Carmen, the protagonist. Carmen has a strong plot and a weak conflict in my opinion. The setting is in Spain, Seville. I think the theme, or author's message to us is that you can't make a person love you. They either love you or don't.
Anonymous said…
MC-BCMS

The main character that changed the most during the plot, in my opinion, was Don Jose. Jose originally was loyal to the military, but after becoming love-struck with Carmen, had longed for her. Eventually, he killed Carmen to always be with her (dead body). Don Jose had significant changes to his personality throughout the opera. In my opinion, the protagonist was Carmen.
Carmen had gone through so much, however, the plot was unclear a bit. The antagonist was Jose in my opinion. He had stalked Carmen, eventually killing her.
The literary elements in Carmen included a plot, conflict (Jose loving Carmen, but Carmen loving Escamillio), characters,a climax, and genre(love).
Anonymous said…
cku-bcms; Don José changes the most. i think that the protagonist is Don José because he was 1st in love with carmen then he killed her, and i think the antagonist is carmen because she lied to Don José about loving him. Mostly the script.
Anonymous said…
ALH BCMS-The character that changed the most in my opinion is Don Jose because he loves Carmen and then kills her.

I think the antagonist is Don jose because he murdered Carmen
Anonymous said…
DAD-BCMS:I think that the person that has changed the most is Don Jose, because, in the libretto, he was an uptight soldier until he met Carmen, then he became more loose, and he deserted the army, and forgot about his promise to marry Micaela. I think that the protagonist is Carmen because she is the character that is included and followed the most in the libretto. I think that the antagonist is Don Jose, because in the libretto, act 4, he is upset and quarrles with Carmen, and eventually kills her.
Anonymous said…
JAG-BCMS- I think that out of all of the characters in Carmen, Don José has changed the most, because he started out as an innocent young man, who had a loyal girlfriend (Micaëla), was loyal to the military, and who really loved his mother. He just wanted to fend off the woman who was flirting with him, Carmen. But then, after he fell in love with Carmen, when she didn't love HIM anymore, he became a completely different person, desperate to earn back Carmen's love, and he didn't seem to care about much else. Finally, it got to the point where he killed her, only because she didn't love him anymore. Don José's personality changed a lot, from the beginning of the libretto.

Carmen's basic plot is, Don José loves Carmen, and Carmen briefly loves him, but then she decides that she doesn't love him anymore. The exposition is when Carmen gives Don José the flower to make him fall in love with her. The climax is when Carmen decides that she isn't in love with Don José anymore. The resolution doesn't really RESOLVE much... it's when Don José stabs Carmen, and she dies. There is lots of man vs. man conflict. For example, the fight between Carmen and and another woman, and when Don José and Carmen argue with (and/or kill) the other. The protagonist is probably Carmen, because she is the main character, and she had fairly good intentions when she was trying to get Don José to love her, although she ended up not loving him, which caused some problems. I think that the antagonist is probably Don José, because he caused lots of trouble with Carmen, like when she said she didn't love him anymore. Instead of taking it well, he just exclaimed how much he loved her, and then took her life, he was so mad.
Anonymous said…
the character that changed the most is jose first he loves carmen then he stabs her he protagonist is carmen buy default and the antagonist is jose because he killed carmen :( the literary elements of carmen are conflict, setting arena, they use music song and dance to tell the story, drama.
Anonymous said…
AFB-BCMS

I think Don José changed the most. At the beginning he was just a content soldier, in the middle he became love struck, and at the end he was a love blinded murderer. I think Carmen was the protagonist because she is a better person than Don José who I think is the antagonist because he murdered Carmen. Plus they were the main conflict in the opera. Some literacy elements I could see in the libretto were the conflict and not so go resolution between Carmen and Don José.
Anonymous said…
KVL-BCMS:
I think changed the most, and protagonist was carman because the she is the main character and the antagonist was don jose because he killed carman. sapence, love and death.
Anonymous said…
JFW-BCMS:
I think that Don Jose is the best character at this period. This is because he thinks that Carmen is annoying and he's right.
Anonymous said…
JFW-BCMS:
From the libretto of Carmen, the protagonist is Don Jose, because of his loyalty & the antagonist is Carmen, because she lies and cheats. I think Don Jose changed the most because he started in the military and not caring about Carmen. He ended up as a gypsy loving Carmen.
Anonymous said…
DAD-BCMS:I am writing again because, I realize that I forgot to add something to my earlier post. I perceive the literary elements of Carmen, the libretto, to include setting, characters, conflict, plot, antagonist, climax, protagonist, resolution, exposition, and theme.
Anonymous said…
JDC BCMS- I think carmen changes a lot. She turns from a free bird to a person who loves someone. I think she is in love with don jose and dumps him. she makes him go to jail. She turns out of a freedom carmen to a loving person to escarmillo.

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...