Skip to main content

La traviata Student Reviews


Verdi's La traviata
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Academy of Music
2:00 p.m.

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's La traviata on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music.

La traviata is a monumental love story that has touched millions of people since its premiere in 1853 - even Julia Roberts' character in the film Pretty Woman!

Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Did you like that the opera was set in the 1920s? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice?

Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post.

Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more!

JOIN OUR OPERA EMAIL LIST!
Email education@operaphila.org and we'll deliver free opera right into your inbox once a week. Each week there will be a youtube "Clip of the Week" and a great opera-related website to check out. If you like opera, this is the place to be!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The Opera Company of PHiladelphia put on a superb opera, La Traviata. Giuseppe Verdi did a great job composing the music. The orchestra was great. The costumes were cool. The chorus sang nicely. The Act II went on too long. Alredo was very good. The lighting in Act III was splendid. The plot was very enlightening. The set was amazing! I liked Alfredo best. I was quite happy with our seats. Violetta had a great voice. Overall, I had a great time. I hope to come again next year.

Sam P.
Grade 7
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
I thought that the Opera Company of Philadelphia did a good job on La Traviata. The singing was very nice. The costumes and set added a whole 'nother part to it. Violetta and Alfredo were really good actors. It was cool that it took place in the jazz age. The plot was simple but still interesting. The orchestra was very skilled. The director must have worked very hard. I thought that all the music was nice and had been obviously worked hard on. I really enjoyed seeing it, and thank you so much for inviting our school.

Sam Grade 7
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
The opera was very exquisite. It had very nice sets and singers. I enjoyed the show very much. Violetta was a very good singer. So was Alfredo. They were all very good singers. Although it was a little long, it was good. The seats we had were very nice (thank you). The orchestra was Amazing!!!I thought the lighting was also a very nice contribution to the vocalists. The sets were very exquisite and colorful. This was interesting. It was a very good experience. Sincerely, Roman, grade 7, Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
I thought that the voices is "La Traviata" were amazing. It was unbelievable to hear them, especially Violetta. I thought that it was a little bit too long though. However, I admire their voices and their ability to sound amazing for that long. I didn't like the costumes. I thought they were a bit on the ugly side.

The scenery was gorgeous! Although the statue in the garden scene was kind of strange. I thought that the orchestra was amazing. I especially liked the violins. I thought the lighting was very good. I could see everything very clearly. Overall, it was an amazing experience. Thank you so much for having me and my classmates listen to the opera. Meira, 7th Grade, Waldorf School of Philadelphia.
Anonymous said…
The opera at the Academy of Music was lovely. Alfredo, Viletta, the Varon and Germont were great characters. There was this wone guy from the chorus who looked familiar. Giuseppe Verdi was a very talented composer. This was my second opera and it was way cool. I loved the fur coat that Flora was wearing. Some day I am going to be in that orchestra. I loved the realistic set and the beautiful props. I think it would be fun to sing opera. Violetta looked a bit different in the actual opera compared to the libretto book but that's okay. The seats we were sitting in were really nice. I liked how they were velvet. It would be nice to have such nice seats again. The lighting made the scenes come to life. The lighting made the scenes come to life. The smoking was a bad influence but the pipes were cool. The singing was amazing. I loved the plot but it was sad how Violetta died. Thank you for the lovely, touching opera.
Mariah, grade 7, Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
I thought that La Traviata was an amazing opera to experience. The scenery was beautiful. I loved what was done with the mirror in the background. The singing was exquisite. The actors and actresses were well picked. The costumes were interesting and kept my attention from drifting. (So did the singing, of course...) The orchestra played extremely well, and it was a great addition to the singing. I thought that act II dragged on a little bit, but besides that it was amazing. The seats were comfortable and the view was great. I think it made a big difference begin able to see the expressions of the singers. I liked the dramatic ending, too.

I hope everyone who participated in La Traviata feels great about themselves. They should! Thank you so much for inviting our school to the opera!

Celia, grade 7, Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
It was a beautiful opera. I loved the singing. The set was amazing! It was very enchanting. I love the big mirrors behind the set. It was soo cool! Violetta was so beautiful and entrancing! And the love between Alfredo (cheese) and Violetta seemed so real! I also loved the orchestra. It was very good.

Brenna, grade 7, Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
I enjoyed my second trip to the opera. I thought "La Traviata" was good. I think that opera is unique and it was a good experience to see opera again. I thought that the opera itself was a little bit too long. My favorite acts were the death scene and the red party scene. I also liked hearing the orchestra practice before the acts. I liked our seats. We could see the actors faces, and the orchestra pit. Violetta and Alfredo had excellent chemistry. I thoroughly believed them in their acting. I think I've seen enough opera, but I am thankful for the experience.

Erin, grade 7, Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
The opera was a beautiful and well-made piece. The lighting was done perfectly. The singing was very good. I enjoyed listening to it. The orchestra was fantastic. My favorite character was Violetta, and Alfredo was good too. The composer did a nice job composing the opera. I loved some of the costumes but some of them could have been better.
Anonymous said…
Although I do not like operas, yours was good. I think it showed great details of the jazz age. Violetta was very good at singing. That cigarette was cool. The African American woman was good. Your costumes were very good. Alfredo showed his character very well. Your orchestra was amazing. Through and through it was good.

Griffin, grade 7, Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Yesterday we went to see La Traviata at the Academy of Music. Overall, it was pretty entertaining but it slowed down in a few scenes, becoming quite boring. It was confusing in the beginning because Violetta wasn't formally introduced until later in the show. We also never really found out what her illness was and that could leave audience members who hadn't read the libretto wondering. The translator seemed broken at times, or maybe the singers just repeated their lines 5 or 6 times. Either way, that was not enjoyable. AS for the singing, it didn't really draw me in. There were no pieces that really stuck with me, and the high shrill singing seemed to never end.

On the other hand, the orchestra did a really great job. I think they brought the show to life. I thought the lighting and the set were great, besides the strange statue in the garden scene. The costumes might have looked nice from far away, but up close they looked like cheap prom dresses. I think all the leads did a great job. One of the things I didn't like was how they glamorized smoking. I know it was common at the time, but it isn't like the opera would be lacking if that detail was left out.

Sarah, grade 8, Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
The opera La Traviata which we saw at the beautiful Academy of Music was filled with splendid music and artful scenery. The lighting was great. But the plot got a little bit lost in the inspiring atmosphere. The chorus was lovely, and the performers showed great enthusiasm. Thank you so much for the great seats as well. The costumes were artistic and entertaining. I liked that they put it in the jazz age. Although the storyline got lost at points, the entire story got pulled together in the end. Thank you so much again for having us. It was amazing. Thanks again!
Audrey, grade 8, Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
The Opera Company of Philadelphia did a great job in making the opera. The actors were terrific and the orchestra was fantastic. Our seats were great. I really enjoyed it. Violetta was also terrific in her singing and acting. Alfredo was also a very good actor. There were times where it sounded like they weren't even saying any Italian words, just singing noises in the oepra way. Like they were not words they were singing. Though I still found the singing extremely good. For someone's voice to project in the opera way is just amazing. This was the second opera I've been to, and I enjoyed this one better. Still, I don't love opera, but it was entertaining.

Clifford, Waldorf School of Philadelphia, grade 8
Anonymous said…
On May 5th I went to see Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata. The singing by the male and female leads, Alfredo and Violetta, was very good. The orchestra and conductor were very good as well. The scenes seemed very dragged out and unnecessisarily long. The costumes and props were appropriate to the time period. They were very elegant and fun to look at. The sets adn background scenery were creative and effective in bringing the audience into the opera. The main characters had voices that filled the opera house with full rich sound. The seats we were given were above and beyond my expectations and I am grateful to the Opera Company of Philadelphia. Overall the show was enjoyable, yet very long and kind of dry. The acting was mediocre all the way around, but was made up for by the voices.

Ben, grade 8, Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
I did not like it. I thought that the singing was good but the opera's story was a disaster. The characters had no depth and were cliche. The close seats were nice, but it showed the awkward expressions on the actors, in particular, the doctor who either had a creepy grin or was frozen in a weird hugging cuddle. I also felt in the Jazz Age setting the way they wer speaking and some of the costumes were very out of place. For example, Flora's costume looked like a prom dress gone wrong from the middle ages. And Violetta's dress at the first party scene looked as though she had Christmas lights tied to her dress. I don't know if it was from a copious amount of glitter, but it looked like a Las Vegas drive through wedding dress. I also felt the translator seemed to be having some problems. Actors seemed to be goin on with the story set in Paris, in Italian, which only added plot holes. I felt that the sets looked like they were from a Lady Gaga video.

Tessa, grade 8, Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Carla Solano, Grade 8—Haverford Middle School

I have been a of the Sounds of Learning program for three years now, and each time I continue to be impressed with the operas I view. La Traviata was no exception. The costumes were exquisite, the voices and songs were extraordinary, and the performance was both sophisticated and elegant. I was impressed with the abilities of the performers, and I hope that they are able to continue to suceed at such a highly-skilled level in future performances. Over all, I think that the performance I viewed of La Traviata was highly impressive, and I hope that all who have played a part in amking this opera come to life continue to do such phenomenal work.
Heather Sciubba said…
Haverford Middle School Grade 7

For the most part, I liked the opera La Traviata. I liked Violetta the best. She had a good and impressive singing voice. She was pretty good for a first time Opera Company of Philadelphia performer. I liked how the stage was set up for the performance and the way the different people dressed. I also liked how the opera was set in the 1920 time period, because I've always wanted to get a glimpse of what everything looked like in the 1920s. I didn't like all parts to be honest. I thought the opera could have been sung more clearer, so I could understand the language barrier instead of having to look at the screen to see what they were singing in English. I also think that Violetta's death could of been not as dramatic as it turned out. This is just my opinion. Overall, I thought that the opera of La Traviata was pretty good for the most part.
Anonymous said…
Grade 11. Archbishop Wood High School.
Over all, I very much enjoyed the opera. The sets were absolutely beautiful and i could tell the staff work very hard on perfecting them to set the time, place, and mood for "La Traviata." The lead actress had a gorgeous voice and I feel her role was a difficult one to play, but she performed it very well. The supporting actors also did a great job and were great singers, especially the male lead who hit some high notes for a tenor. I felt the plot at the end of the show was a little difficult to follow, but overall it was great a great show.
Anonymous said…
synopsis
In Violetta's home she held a party and found a new admirer Alfredo Germout. In the countryside Violetta is living with Alfredo but Alfredo's father wanted to break them up. Alfredo went to get revenge because Violetta left him. Alfredo challenge the baron to a duel for Violetta. Violetta died in her bedroom because of her illness.
Anonymous said…
"La Traviata" in complete honesty was a fantastic opera. The opera singers were amazing. Each singer played their role very well. The best part of the opera was in the 3rd act. The one with the stairs coming from the mirror. That reminds me , the stage looked great in each act.It was the best opera I've ever saw(It is the only one I ever saw.La Traviata was a great opera.
Anonymous said…
it was so fun and nice and l like the show and the show was cool. and some kinds was slepping in the show it was so cool.
Anonymous said…
I like the end part.
because it was a lot of drama at the end . and leah partridge did a awesome job . so did allison sanders she did a great job as well
Anonymous said…
I enjoyed the opera of La Traviata it was fantastic. I like the setting of the play and the material behind the stage.Futhermore, I loved the chandelier I was astonished. The part I remembered the most was in the begining when they were drinking and having a great time. Violetta's voice was amazing she could had blew the roof off if she song loud enough. I hope you enjoyed my blog.
Anonymous said…
The worst part is that La Traviata fall down like 8 times to die. Every time that she fall down to die she start singing again and again. The theater is awesome it have a lamp that goes down and up and is big and beautiful. The bathroom is beautiful to. Almost everything is gold but fake.We see the orchestra only the ones that play an instrument. When they were doing the show the stuff that they put on the stage are pretty. The best part is that Violetta and Alfredo kiss to each other
for real.
Tania said…
My feedback from the Opera is that it was amazing. It was a wonderful sight. I hope i can continue to the next one in a few. I loved it ! It was awesome. Keep it up loves :) <3
Anonymous said…
to be truthful this was my first time being at an opera and I kind of really enjoyed it. Of course it didn't start getting exiting until I herd the main singers voice. The only thing I could say that could have been better was the volince. but everything else was cool.
Unknown said…
Grade 7, Haverford Middle School
As has been my experience, the Opera Company of Philadelphia did another amazing production. Verdi is one of the greatest musical composers of his time and he demonstrated his masterful skill in La Traviata. I enjoyed how they made the opera take place in the 1920's as it was interesting to see what it would be like set in a different time period. The costumes and the sets were spectacular, and made the opera more engaging. The lead singers' voices were gorgeous and the chorus did an excellent job supporting them. The orchestra lulled me into another time and place. I will look forward for the opera season next year with high hopes.
Anonymous said…
La Traviata was beautifully displayed by the Opera Company of Philadelphia. The sets were pretty and the orchestra did a great job performing. It dragged a little for part of the time, but overall it was very good. I thought Act III was very well done. The death seen was well performed.

Nicholas
Haverford Middle School
Grade 7
Anonymous said…
The story of La Traviata was interesting and romantic. The scenery was really nice. The dresses the women were wearing were really nice. The singers were also very good. I thought that the Academy of Music was beautiful! The musicians were fantastic. The chandelier was breathtaking!!!

Jennifer S.
Grade 7
Catto Community School
Anonymous said…
The Opera Company of Philadelphia did a fantastic job. The scenery and costumes were superb. The music was awesome. Violetta has such a wonderful voice that just fills the room and gives you goosebumps! The acting was also top notch, you really believe that Violetta and Alfredo are in love! My students really enjoyed the show and we definitely want to come back again and again!! Thank you so much for letting us attend La Traviata.

Mrs. B. Vohl
Catto Community School
Camden, NJ
Emily Grade 6, Juniata Park Academy said…
I enjoyed everything about "La Traviata". I liked Act 1 to Act 4 because it was so interesting! Especially when they was at the party or dinner. I felt bad when Violetta died. The opera was so good and amazing. I loved it alot. I also love the way they care for Violetta when she died
Ramier Grade 6, Juniata Park Academy said…
Hey! My name is Ramier. I didn't attend La traviata, but I read the book.Sorry i missed it.
Jocelyn Grade 6, Juniata Park Academy School said…
It was so cool, nice, sometimes boring. You need to add more playful in there and some little kids so they can pump up the party! But it was so cool and I love it. It was so, so exciting. Thank you for inviting us The acers were very good and Violetta was alsome and good at singing soprano. I love Alfredo. He was so good at singing tenor.
Mariah Grade 6, Juniata Park Academy said…
La Traviata was amazing and funny. I liked the part when Violetta died. I was falling asleep in the middle of the opera but it was exciting at the last part.I really loved all the backgrounds and there costumes were really pretty. My favorite part was the fanally. They all have amazing voices
Tania Grade 6, Juniata Park Academy said…
My feedback from the opera is that it was amazing. It was a facinating experience. I loved it and I hope to go to the next one! It was awesome.
Starr Grade 6, Juniata Park Academy said…
The La Traviata book is very good. I wish that I had come to see la traviata. My friends told me it was cool.
Brianna Grade 6, Juniata Park Academy said…
I loved the opera "La Traviata" It was the best opera ever. Actually, it was the only opera I've ever been to. My favorite part of the opera was when Alfredo threw his gloves at Violetta and she fell. That part was pretty food. To me this Oprea was pretty dramatic and sad, but the point is I loved it.
Heaven Grade 6, Juniata Park Academy said…
May 6
Yesterday, I went ot see the opera "La Traviata". In my opinion, it was great! The singers and the story were amazing! The theater was so fancy, and I loved all the costumes and music. "La Traviata" os one of the best things I've ever seen! The singer who sang Violetta's part was amazing as well as the other singers. This opera was just perfect! I loved this opera so much! I eagerly await the next opera or live performance that my class goes on.
Cesar Grade 6, Juniata Park Academy said…
My favorite act is act 1 because they was singin the drinking song. the act I didn't like is act 3 because the Dr. told her that she don't have long to live. So at the end her strenght ebbs and she falls dead. so that's my honest feedback.
Billy Grade 6, Juniata Park Academy said…
The first thing I liked is when they was changing the stuff behind the curtens.Also when Violetta was singing her soprano voice. i like that it took long for her to die but it was amazing. Alfredo was good actor and when the end came he was very good.
Laquisha Grade 6, Juniata Park Academy said…
La Traviata was the best opera I ever saw. It was awesome. I loved their clothes, settings, and most of the actors. Violetta, Alfredo, Flora, and Germont were the best actors. My favorite part was when Violetta kept dying and geting back up singing. Your shandilere was BEAUTIFUL!
Unknown said…
The Orchrestra was my favorite part because they matched the singers
and did not make a mistake. The music was very loud and soothing. Violetta was my favorite character. She was very precise in her singing. I can’t wait to attend next year. I want bring grandmom with me so that she can enjoy it too.

Carolyn
Grade 6
A.M.Y. @ James Martin School

My favorite part of the opera was at the end when Violetta died. I truly love the way that she drop to the floor and got back up and then drop again to her death.


Jasmine
Grade 8th
A.M.Y. @ James Martin School


La Traviata was my first opera. I enjoyed the opera. I liked Act 2 of the opera when the characters came out of the mirror down the stairs. My favorite singer in the opera was
Alfredo. I liked him because his singing was good and he played his part in the opera.
DaeQ’uan
Grade 7
A.M.Y. @ James Martin School


Well this was the first opera I ever attended. And guess what I loved it and I enjoyed it very much. Everything was so fancy especially the chandelier how it went up and down. Violetta and Alfredo were the best. When you sat and paid much attention to it, you can see that they’re really feeling it, which makes it amazing. I loved the opera and I hope I can go again to the Academy Of Music in the future.

Natalie
Grade 8
A.M.Y. @ James Martin School


I thought the opera was spectacular; the costumes and set were colorful and the music was magnificent. The atmosphere was great also. It was so wonderful to be at the Academy Of Music. I really liked the opera and hope to attend again sometime soon.

Mike F
Grade 8



I thought the opera was a wonderful and magnificent. It was full of life, dances, and color. I would love to go see another one. My best part was the dancing;it is also beautiful sight to see. I love the chandelier.

Sabrina C.
Grade 8
A.M.Y. @ James Martin School


I thought the opera was very dramatic and traditional, but those characteristics made it outstanding. My favorite scene was when Alfredo came in when Violetta was sick and came to get her through it. I also like how the costumes were unique and beautiful.

Justin M.
Grade 8
A.M.Y. @ James Martin School
Anonymous said…
I very much enjoyed the wonderful experience of attending La traviata presented by the Opera Company of Philadelphia. The singers were incredible and the compositions remarkable. I distinctly remember one part as Violetta was dying, she held a note very soft at pianissimo, and with strength I would not have thought possible she made crescendo to fortissimo. I was amazed. I had a great night with my school and my friends and I can't wait until next years performance(s).

Aiyana B.
Haverford Middle School, Grade 7
Dakota said…
La Traviata was the first opera I've ever seen, and I was not disappointed. The Opera Company of Philadelphia did an outstanding job with their performance. The orchestra and singers were fantastic, especially Alfredo. The emotions of the performers were tangible in their singing, and I think that's the mark of an amazing singer/actor. My Italian class had been highly anticipating our trip to the opera, and La Traviata did not disappoint. I can't wait to attend next year's performance.
Bryan Grade 5, Juniata Park Academy said…
In the opera La Traviata, it was too long. The musica was good. I like the drink song because it was the best song and I want to hear it again.
Natalie Grade5, Juniata Park Academy said…
When we went to the opera I learned alot. I never heard opera before and this was a good experience. I liked la traviata and violetta and the rest of the singing, and costumes and even the stage decorations! I would like to go to opera again.
Brendon said…
what happen I LATRAVIATA is that Violetta is in a room alone because she is ill, but Alfredo stays because he confesses his love for her.
Danna Grade 5, Juniata Park Academy said…
Hi, my name is Danna and I am in Grade 5. I really enjoyed the opera "La Traviata". Also, i mostly like Flora which is played by Allison Sanders. I have a question for Flora. Flora, is it hard to sing really high and how do you do it? That's all! Bye.
Jose said…
I think that latraviata was kind of good. There was only two thing I dislike.one, when they hit a hi note i got a head ache. Also, I keep looking up and down to see what they said.In other works it was good very good.
Edward Grade 5, Juniata Park Academy said…
I like the opera because of the designs and cool backgrounds, but I do not undrstand why there is a meera in the background all the time its whered.
Anonymous said…
The opera was awesome. Violetta had a nice voice. It was dramatic when she died. I thought Alfredo was going to marry Violetta. I liked the party scene in Act I. I would like to get to see a different opera. Thank you for the wonderful experience of seeing La Traviata!
Juan T.
Grade 6
Catto Community School
Anonymous said…
It was A-MAZING!!!! I luved it <3 It waz a great experience. The actors did a great job doing their parts and singing. :"] La Traviate is the best opera i've been to n___n"

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...