Skip to main content

Madama Butterfly - Student Reviews

Madama Butterfly - Student Reviews

Sounds of Learning
Puccini's Madama Butterfly
Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 2:00 p.m.

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's tragic Madama Butterfly, on Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at the Academy of Music.

Madama Butterfly teaches great lessons about love, faith, honor, and respect. Jun Kaneko's production vividly brought the opera to life it's geometric patterns and string use of color and projections.

Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the projections, costumes and sets? Your review should be at least 50 words or more.

Please include your first name, school and grade in your post.

Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more!

JOIN OUR OPERA EMAIL LIST!
Email education@operaphila.org and we'll deliver free opera right into your inbox once a week. Each week there will be a youtube "Clip of the Week" and a great opera-related website to check out. If you like opera, this is the place to be!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The opera was a touching, soothing performance. It touched my soul and made all my stress go away. I have never heard something so beautiful in my life. I loved it.

My favorite character would have to be Pinkerton because he made the show seem so realistic. He brought excitement to the theater and that is my favorite about plays, movies or any other way of making entertainment but Madam Butterfly was the one who touched my soul. Her voice was like 12 hummingbirds and the sound of the waves on the ocean floor put together.

Thank you for the great performance.

Naseam, 6th grade, AMY NW
Anonymous said…
The opera that I went to see was Madam Butterfly and I loved it. My favorite part of the opera was when Pinkerton first met Madame Butterfly. That was my favorite part because when she entered the stage there were a whole lot of people with her and the way she was singing when she saw Pinkerton. The most that I liked about the opera was the costumes. I liked the ostumes because they were showing the types of clothes that Japanese women wear. Another thing that I saw that really catched my eys were the projects. They were showing these beautiful pictures of old Japanese art like a man kneeling with his hand across his chest.

Skye, 6th grade, AMY NW
Anonymous said…
My impression of the opera was that it was very good. It was very entertaining. I really liked this opera because you could tell what was going on just by looking on stage. My favorite character was Butterfly. I liked her character because I thought she had the most emotion among all the other characters. i thought that all the projections should have been more life-like. The costumes were very pretty. I like the sets because it was different from all the other operas I've been to.

Danielle, Gr. 8. Wilson MS
Anonymous said…
My impressions are very good. This opera was very dramatic and had the center of attention the whole time. In my honest opinion, I liked the opera because of the very clear, loud vocals and the music was awesome! The conductor had the whole team of musicians and instrument players following all his movements.

My favorite character in this opera is Butterfly because her costume was very eye-catching and her acting was very good.

In the opera the projections were colorful and pleasant, but some of the costumes and sets I really didn't like. The sets were too simple and the costumes seemed very alike.

Charles, Gr. 8, Wilson MS
Anonymous said…
My impression about the opera is I thought it was well done, the characters were very dramatic, and the orchestra played very good music. Everything was excellent.

I did like the play because it had it all. It had drama, action, suspense, a bit of comedy, and love. The actors in the opera did very good with their characters. Pinkerton was very loud and kind of fresh. Madama Butterfly was very dramatic.

My favorite character is Pinkerton, because he is very careless and thinks life is very easy, and only cares for himself. I think he is funny.

Kevin, Gr. 8, Wilson MS
Anonymous said…
I think that Madama Butterfly is a really sad opera, because Pinkerton left Butterfly and came back not to see her but to take the child. The beginning was nice and she was happy, but there was no happy ending and she died.

My favorite character was Sharpless because he knew and saw that Butterfly was taking it seriously and warned Pinkerton.

My least favorite character was Butterfly because she was stupid enough to change her religion for someone who doesn't love her and she killed herself just because of that.

Sandra, Gr. 7, Wilson MS
Anonymous said…
My impression was that this is simple - what I mean is (minus the girl killing herself) this sometimes happens in real life. I thought that it was a fairy tale without the happy ending. I did like it kind of, but I'm not really a romance guy.

My favorite character was Sharpless because he was the one who tried to help Pinkerton understand the situation more.

Kevin, Gr. 8, Wilson MS
Anonymous said…
My impression of the opera was that it was an excellent opera. The actors and actresses made me feel like I was actually in the room with the real people, not just the actors.

I liked Sharpless because he was very kind and caring, but at the same time powerful. I liked the costumes, projections and sets because they made me actually feel like I was in Japan.

Jill, Gr. 8, Wilson MS
Anonymous said…
The opera was so beautiful, that I feel that it changed the way I see particular things. It certainly gave me a change in life, healed pain and hurt, and showed me what love is. When Madame Butterfly started to sing is when I felt most of layers fly away.

My favorite character hands down would have to be Madame Butterfly, all because she was the character that sent the strongest message to me. She brought a mixture of differnet moods that brought the secene to life, such as; life(as a geisha), love(when she first fell in love with Pinkerton), pain(after Pinkerton left and Suzuki was determined that he wasn't to return), and death(after she gave her child to Mary to raise with his father). My favorite scene was in the beginning of the play... Where the props were colorful, the orchestra sounded lovely, the costumes showed their emotions, and the lighting was bright! All together, the set was on point.

The plot of the opera, was to me like an emotional rollercoster. Each acter/actress all had an important role to perform. Sharpless and Puccini, to me, stole my attention for a minute. I mean that they played their part like no other. But at the end, where Madame showed her true feelings in her singing, made me start getting a little teary-eyed. It was lovely.

Overall, this opera said it all in a way i never thought it could be told. Suspense, drama, bits n' pieces of comedy, spook to me...

Thank you for giving me the oppurtunity to see this Amazing performance.

Jaila, 7th grade, Oec
Anonymous said…
The opera trip to the Academy of Music was phenomenal. My favorite part of the opera was in Act 2 when Suzuki, Madame Butterfly, and Sorrow were throwing the flowers in the air because Pinkerton was coming home to Japan. The different colors of purple flowers were beautiful in the air. My thanks to Mr. Bolton and the Opera Company for making it possible for the students of AMY School to see this opera.

Karen S.
Grade 6
A.M.Y. at James Martin School
Anonymous said…
I really enjoyed the opera. I am glad my uncle was able go with me to the opera. It was cool to see the set designer, Jun Kaneko. When he walked into the Academy of Music,
I never thought I would meet someone who I studied about.
I loved the spirals in the set.

Michael F.
Grade 8
A.M.Y. at James Martin School
Anonymous said…
My favorite part of the opera was when Madame Butterfly stabbed herself. I felt her pain. I felt bad for her. The Academy of Music was big and nice. The singers did good job acting and I liked the conductor of the orchestra.

Wilfredo C.
Grade 6
A.M.Y. at James Martin School
Anonymous said…
My favorite part of the opera was everything! I love chandelier in the Academy of Music too. The singers were very good actors.
Kurt V.
Grade 7
A.M.Y. at James Martin School
Anonymous said…
My favorite part of the opera was the costumes. The costumes were very colorful. My favorite character is the opera was Sorrow. The little boy who played was very cute.
The Academy of Music is very big and I like the statues that were above the stage.

Marisa P.
A.M.Y. at James Martin School
Grade 8
Anonymous said…
The opera was extremely good. The costumes were amazing. I’ve never seen these types of costumes before. This was my first opera and I want to see more operas!

Kurt V.
Grade 7
A.M.Y. at James Martin School
Anonymous said…
I loved going to see Madama Butterfly. The music was great and the costumes and set were so simple yet beautiful. I felt so many different emotions in the story. It was so sad, but I felt lifted up by Butterfly's honorable and courageous acts. Going to the opera is better than the movies, a play, or even the ballet because it is so grand! I am going to go to as many operas as I can.

Sarah, 7th grade, NW Homeschoolers
Anonymous said…
Madama Butterfly was a sad play brilliantly choreographed with wonderful music. Bravo, Bravo!

Julian, 7Gr, St Mary
Anonymous said…
I did not like Madama Butterfly because it was very sad.

Isabel, 7Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
The opera Madama Butterfly was the best I have ever seen, and the music matched every emotion.

Orest, 7Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
This play was very graceful. I really liked it. It had great actors and music. The whole play was filled with suspense.

Ricky, 7Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I liked this opera because the characters looked so dramatic it was almost as if they were not acting.

Dalia, 7Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I liked Madama Butterfly because of the music. The music was very powerful.

Rachel, 7Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
During Madama Butterfly I enjoyed how the character's movements matched up with the music. One thing I did not like is when Pinkerton came back to Japan, the war was over and the USA had nuked Nagasaki. Because the opera did not reflect this, it was not realistic.

Nicholas, 7Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
It showed love and sadness. Showing love is a very important thing in our lives.

Josephine, 7Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I did not like Madama Butterfly because there was not a lot of action.

Armen, 7Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I thought the music was beautiful and the costumes were very colorful.

Jianna, 7Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I like the opera in the first act because Butterfly had a butterfly flying behind her.

Martin, 7Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I did not like Madama Butterfly because the costumes were strange and the characters were overdramatic.

Melissa, 7Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
Madama Butterfly was exciting and dramatic and the music was the best part. The colors of the scenery were very bright.

Alejandro, 8Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
The performance was interesting, dramatic, dynamic and entertaining. I am grateful to have come. This one was my personal favorite.

Kyle, 8Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
Madama Butterfly was an extraordinary work of art that incorporated modern design with Japanese tradition. I liked the costumes the best.

Francesco, 8Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I liked the show we went to see. It had a good story line but it seemed to move slow. I would not mind seeing it again.

Brandon, 8Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
Madama Butterfly was very nice. I liked the singing of all the actors. It was very calming.

Jawan, 8Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I liked Madama Butterfly because it kept you awake and it was really interesting.

Caitlin, 8Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I thought Madama Butterfly was one of the best operas I have seen. I think, however, Jun Kaneko should take a rest from set designing.

Ana, 8Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I believe that Madama Butterfly, despite having little action, was still engaging with all of the talking and singing. I am very impressed with the actress who played Cio Cio San because she was singing powerfully and beautifully for the entire opera.

Harry, 8Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I thought Madama Butterfly was an excellent opera because at the end Cio Cio San captured the audience when she killed herself. The opera was a mix of dramatic and romantic effect.

Michael, 8Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I liked Madama Butterfly because it had an exciting situation, well well-written lyrics and the opera singers were good.

Aliya, 6Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I disliked the play because Butterfly had to give up her son. Also, she killed herself.

Tamia, 6Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
The opera was OK, but it was hard to read the subtitles. Also, they sang too fast.

Haely, 6Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I like the play because there was beautiful singing and a lot of exaggeration. I will tell people to go see it.

Brianne, 6Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I like Madama Butterfly because it was exciting to see how they got married. Cio Cio San was a joyful person.

Kayla, 6Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I liked it because it was epic. I didn't like it because it was too long.

Daniel, 6Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I didn't like the opera because it was a little dull, and I expected it to be extravagant. The set was beautiful though (a little simple).

Grace, 6Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I didn't like the opera because of how long it was and also they should have it in English. It is hard to watch the opera and try to know what they are saying.

Crosby, 6Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I didn't like Madama Butterfly because she killed herself, got cheated on and couldn't see her son anymore.

Christopher, 6Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
I liked the opera because I have always been interested in Japan since my grandmother taught me some Japanese. My favorite part was the wedding and when she was celebrating with spring flowers.

Mi'Asia, 6Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
The opera was elegant, yet unfulfilling. It lost my interest.

Natalie, 6Gr, St. Mary
Anonymous said…
In my opinion, the opera was marvelous! It was so emotional and it kept my interest the whole time. I was happy, sad, depressed, and everything else in between. But even though I couldn't understand what their saying I still felt Madama Butterfly's pain, happiness, and sorrow.


Even though each and every one of the characters were phenomenal, my favorite character of all was Madama Butterfly. I say this because she was the one who influenced me the most. For example, when she was happy she acted with a passion that made everyone else feel happy too.Also when she was in pain she was so powerful that I felt like I was in pain too. Lastly she did an awesome job preforming her parts because she mad e us understand her emotion instead of her words.


In this play their are so many great parts. But the two that stood out to me the most was when Madama Butterfly first found out about Kate (Pinkerton's new wife) and when she killed herself. I like the part when she first found out about Kate because when she came out of her room she was happy then as soon as she saw Kate she figured out what was happening and her emotion changed rapidly from happy to devastated. As soon as that happened I felt like someone just stabbed me in the heart because I really felt her pain. Also we she killed herself I understood why and I felt like I wanted to kill myself too for a moment because it hurt me to see what she was going through. That's why overall those were my favorite parts of the play.


The performance overall was fabulous! I loved the characters, the scenery, music, and even the way it was preformed. All the character did such a great job and I wish I could see it again.


Thank you for allowing me to see your great performance!

Jericca, 7th grade, OEC
Julie, 8th grade, D. Newlin Fell said…
The opera was lovely - the vocals were clear and it amazes me how well opera singers can project; and the storyline both had depth and was easy to follow.

The character of Butterfly, however, came across to me as pathetic. She clings to her delusional little world and refuses to believe that Pinkerton does not love her; in fact, three years after he abandons her, she is still obsessed with him!

I cheered when she died.

Sharpless was the only character who knew what he was doing in the whole opera. I felt so bad for him - he really meant well, but he was unfortunately dragged into a situation he didn't want to be in and taken advantage of by Pinkerton.

The story was so fascinating. It shows you the mess that will occur when you pretend to love and with the amazing visuals, you could easily tell that the setting was in Japan.
Anonymous said…
I Really like the performance with music backround.
I really love it.
The Best part I like in the story was Madam butterfly coming up with the someone hollding the buterfly back with girls hollding umbrella.
My Favorite character was Cio-Cio San Because he made seem so realistic to me.Heehheheee

THank You for the Beautiful Performance.
I really really love it.

Marie Vhalerie,5th Grade P.A.
Philadelphia.
Anonymous said…
I think the Opera was wonderful and amazing! I loved the way everything loooked! The first act was a little bit of a bore to me but the second act was attention grabbing! It was still great! It hurts to clap so much... And erton is a mean guy! I was into the play as you may see. Fantastico!

Tiana, 10th grade, Washington HS
Anonymous said…
My name is Deja Freeman and my class and I went to an opera on October 7th 2009. It was very interesting at the opera because the characters were singing in a different language. The book was alright too. I have never been to an opera before, so I really enjoyed it. My class had a great view from where we were sitting. My favorite characters were Madama Butterfly and Pinkerton because they really took their parts seriously. Also, their costumes were great. It had lots of detail and color. I am really hoping to go back to another one very soon.

Deja,Lingelbach, 7th grade
Anonymous said…
The opera w as very interesting to me. Butterfly, Pinkerton and the others sang so lovely. The seats were comfortable to me. One of my favorite scenes was when Madama Butterfly tried to kill herself but her son came running to her arms and she hugged him and told him to go play in the other room. So she picked up the knife and stabbed herself in the throat.My favorite character was Madama Butterfly. And I liked the costumes because they were creative and colorful.
Tajona, 7th grade, Lingelbach
Anonymous said…
When I went to see the opera I thought that it was a wonderful first time experience.I really enjoyed the opera and would like to say that Madam butterfly was my favorite character.I loved the way she showed her emotions and the way she played her role.I thought that she was very good. She did an outstanding job, I also liked when butterfly killed herself. Although it was very sad it was one of the most exciting,surprising and dramatic parts of the opera. I had a great time and hope to return again. Dierah,Lingelbach 7th
Anonymous said…
My experience at the opera was amazing,exciting,and terrific.It was the most exciting opera I've seen so far.It was wonderful because it was like a fantasy.It embraced me in a different way that never happened before.I loved the opera,I'm hoping I'll never forget about it.My favorite singer in the opera was Kate ,even though she really didn't sing that much,I liked her voice.My favorite character was Butterfly.Her character was so honest and understanding.

Kayla, Lingelbach 7th grade
Anonymous said…
Aighnye,Lingelbach,7th grade

My first time at the opera was a wonderful experience because. I think all the cast members did a fantastic job playing their roles. My favorite character was Suzuki because she was being a good friend to Butterfly when Pinkerton didn’t come back after three years. I also liked the costumes because they were pretty and colorful, but I felt like there could have been more props on the stage for example, Butterfly’s bedroom and living room could have been on the stage. But other than that, I think it was a fantastic opera and I will like to come back and see another opera.
Anonymous said…
My experience at the opera was very exciting. I liked the opera very much and enjoyed the singing and the performances. There is nothing I disliked about the opera. My favorite singer is Butterfly because of her acting and the way she brought sympathy and joy to everyone's heart.I like the setting and the costumes.I am looking forward to seeing more opera.

Britaney,Lingelbach,7th grade
Anonymous said…
Donovan Anna L. Lingelbach 7-th grade
My first experience at an opera was fantastic. What I loved about the opera was the view even though I was in the balcony. I could still see all the characters. Something I disliked about the marvelous opera was it was too cold in the Academy. Also, people from different schools were disrespectful to the opera by chewing gum, talking, and sleeping. The performances were too good to be doing those rude things. My favorite character was Madama Butterfly because every time she sang or said something she always had great expression in her voice. I disliked some of the sets because I couldn’t see enough detail.
Anonymous said…
Madama Butterfly

This was my first time going to an opera , so I was just getting used to reading captions and hearing Italian. I liked the fact that the opera kept me awake. It never bored me. All the colors and singing were exciting. Also I loved when Butterfly and Pinkerton got married,there were so many colors and actors. My favorite character was S,usuki , even though she didn't sing a lot, I loved her voice. We did learn about geishas in class so I knew who was a geisha. I didn't like when three screens came down and just showed color for about 5-10 min. I would love to return to an opera soon.
DeShaye,7th grade Lingelbach
Anonymous said…
The thing I like most in the opera was when Bonze came in the room and the lights began to flicker on and off. My other favorite part was when Butterfly's son came in the room right before she stabbed herself that was one part that had huge suspense.
My favorite character was Pinkerton. I like the way he dressed. The the thing I didn't like was when they were changing scenes because it took a very long time, but other than that I liked it. When I saw the costumes I thought they were very pretty. Each costume fit each scene. And that's what I thought about Madama Butterfly.

Keith,Lingelbach 7th grade
Anonymous said…
Amari,Lingelbach,7th grade
I say the opera was magnificent.
The beginning started off great. The acting was beautiful, the singing was nice, too. But the ending was not so good. It was about how Butterfly tried to kill herself. It did not look real. But everything else was nice.

I liked the opera; it had everything I expected. The lines in the book were the same in the opera. I know that the setting was a long time ago. But the costumes should not have been so colorful but it was nice. I do not have a favorite character. They were all beautiful.
Anonymous said…
My favorite part of Madama Butterfly was when Butterfly's Uncle came. The reason why I picked that part was it was kind of funny. Butterfly's uncle came out from no where and just picked a fight with Pinkerton. Also the part I liked when Yamadori came and started to flirt with Butterfly but Butterfly said no. The part I didn't like was when Pinkerton never came back to Butterfly and when he did came back he brought his new American wife. Wen Butterfly had found out she felt really sad and then she went and killed her self. At the opera the play showed sadness, excitement, love , passion and comedy. I liked the sets because they were in a good position and had a lot of texture color and graphics. I would love to go back to the opera.

Nneka Grade, 7th, Lingelbach
Anonymous said…
I think the opera was a good learning experience because, I have never been to a show where I had to tuck in my shirt. I think because the intermission was long the crowd got of track. The opera's orchestra was perfectly trained for the opera. We saw a dress rehearsal but the orchestra made it feel like the real opera. My favorite singer was Madama Butterfly, because she was in character and very emotional. Madama's son Sorrow played a role of a three year older but he looked like he was five or six. Madama Butterfly was a great opera not only because it's the first I've been to, but I would see it again.


William,Lingelbach,7th
Anonymous said…
My experience at the opera was great. First we arrived at the Bellevue for lunch. We finally arrived at the fantastic Opera. When we went in, we took our seats and watched the Opera. I liked it because of the singing and the action that went on in different scenes. I like the way people dressed. I had two favorite characters,Pinkerton and Suzuki. Pinkerton surprised me when he cheated on Madama Butterfly. Pinkerton played a big part of the Opera.I liked Suzuki because she played a big part of the Opera also. I can't wait until the next Opera starts up again.

Tejon,Lingelbach,7grade
Anonymous said…
Rakwon Ramilton Lingelback,7th grade
What I liked about the opera was when they had a ceremony for Pinkerton and Madama Butterfly and her uncle Bonze came in and disrupted the ceremony; he started yelling at his neice Madama Butterfly. Pinkerton told Bonze to leave.My favorite character was Madama Butterfly because during the opera she was showing a lot of emotion and that's why Madama Butterfly is my favorite character.
Anonymous said…
The Opera that I saw was wonderful.I liked the way every scene setup Another thing I liked the drawings that was getting placed on the screen . Another thing I liked was the characters outfits. To me all of the characters outfits fit the way their character . In the opera all of the characters had important parts in it but when Madama Butterfly stabbed herself, in my eyes, she shouldn’t have done that. I know she wanted her baby to have a better life than hers. Overall it was a wonderful, outstanding, and nice opera. Thank You for the great performance. "BRAVO"
Ahanri, Linglebach, 7th Grade
imani williams,10th,washington high school said…
this was my first opera and i love it the music was ok and the acter were great the mabe me jump out of my sit....... i would love to come back
Anonymous said…
Our 7th grade classes saw the opera Madama Butterfly. I really liked the opera and I really enjoyed myself. I also liked the fact that they had the English subtitles so the audience could understand what the characters were singing. My favorite characters were 'Yamadori' and Butterfly. I liked those two characters because of their crazy personalities. Yamadori was always trying to get Butterfly to marry him. She was very shy in the beginning of the show and towards the end she was mean and demanding. The opera was something that I really liked and I am glad that I was able to see it. Kemba, Lingelbach, 7th
Anonymous said…
Dear Opera Producer,

I went to see the opera Madama Butterfly , it was so cool. It was my first time at an opera. The opera was attention catching and loud. I think you planned it perfectly. It had so much action that kept my attention the whole time. I think you need to do nothing to make the opera better. I hope you can do as great on the real opera. The opera had a great group effort.

Nasim, Lingelbach Elementary, 7th gr
Anonymous said…
On my exciting trip to see the opera ''Madama Butterfly'' I found lots of things that were interesting . Even though I forgot the name of the theatre I was in I can describe it as if I was looking a it right now . Entering the theatre was like dying and going to heaven . Statues and columns , huge drapes that were pretty hanging over the stage were eye catching , and the huge stage is what my eyes first laid on . Boy , was it a sight to see, such well done things . Overall I would have to say that the Madame Butterfly opera was great , funny , realistic , and really well performed . One of the funny parts was when Suzuki found Goro going around town gossiping about Butterfly and Pinkerton. As he came onto the stage, he fell on his back in fear of Madame Butterfly who looked like she was gonna split his head in two . In the opera there were some sad , romantic , and funny scenes that kept me in my seat with a grin especially the kissing scene in Act #1 with Pinkerton and Butterfly: that was really romantic . One of the thing's I liked the most about this opera was how the cast made the opera realistic and how they worked real hard together . Madama Butterfly was a well performed opera , everything went swell. It couldn't have been better .

Loved the opera !

Breea , 7TH GRADE, Lingelbach
Anonymous said…
Kyie Gambel, Lingelbach, 7th gr

Today my class went on a fieldtrip, and it was fun.My class had been reading about the opera , and I was so excited to go. What I Iiked about the show is when Madama Butterfly was hugging her son. I thought that was really sweet . What I disliked about the show was the ending,when Madama Butterfly killed herself over her husband because he took her son. I also disliked when Madama Butterfly was about to slap Pinkerton. I really enjoyed the show,and I hope to see another opera soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...