Skip to main content

Puccini's Turandot : Your Reviews

Click here to download a free copy of the student guide
Sounds of LearningTM
Student Dress Rehearsal
Giacomo Puccini's Turandot
Wednesday, February 15, 2009
6:15 p.m.

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of LearningTM program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's brilliant fairytale opera, Turandot, on Wednesday, February 15th.

The opera is filled with thrilling arias, dramatic scenes, and powerful choruses, including the famous aria Nessun Dorma. The ice princess Turandot requires all suitors to pass a test of three riddles. If they are unsuccessful, they forfeit their lives.

Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Which was your favorite character? Did you like the sets?

Please include your first name, school and grade in your post.


Click here if you want to learn more about Puccini, Turandot, singers in the production, China and more.

JOIN OUR OPERA EMAIL LIST!
Email education@operaphila.org and we'll deliver free opera right into your inbox once a week. Each week there will be a youtube "Clip of the Week" and a great opera-related website to check out. If you like opera, this is the place to be!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The performance of Turandot on Wednesday night was magnificent. It was my first opera, and I was truly impressed by many aspects of the performace. The set was outstanding, and as a theater student myself, I can really appreciate the work and art that went into the sets. The costumes, hair, and make up design were also spectacular...the wardrobe, especially that of Turandot, was beautiful to look at. And, of course, the performances were amazing. I have been watching prior performances of Turandot online, and the company matches these performances, and in some areas, even excedes them. Thank you for providing free tickets for students...I believe that the audience really enjoyed the show, and I appreciate the oppurtunity to attend. What a performance to see as my first opera!

~Sarah S.
Studio For Strings
Grade 11
Anonymous said…
The Shipley School
Grade 12

This was the first opera I've ever been to, and I thought the performance was outstanding especially the music. However, I felt as if the audience was disrespectful in terms of not turning off cell phones and talking during the show(both adults and students alike). Nevertheless, it was a night to remember!
Anonymous said…
My experience at the opera was very fun. I was excited that i got the opportunity to get to see one. I absolutley loved the set. My favorite part of the set was the giant dragon. it was so beautiful. I also enjoyed the good music coming from the ochestra pit. My favorite character was Liu because she seemed to hit every single note perfectly. I also enjoyed the characters of PIng Pang and Pong becuase they made us laugh . The costumes were pretty amazing , especially Turandots. I hope i get to see another opera just as good as this one was.
Anonymous said…
It was an awesome experience going to see an opera. I wasn't very fond of it though. I'm not really into opera. That's just not the kind of thing I'm going to download onto my iPod. I didn't like how it was n another language either. It was hard to follow along with what was going on onstage and trying to read/understand the subtitles at the same time. Everyone did a fantastic job, but Liu and Ping were my favorites. Liu's voice was just sooooooo amazing. And Ping was hilarious. They were both great singers and great actors. The set was fabulous. It was very interesting to look at. The costumes were very cool as well.
Anonymous said…
The opera was alright because the way it was set up was cool. I enjoyed the music that was different for me. I usually listen to country, pop, and rock. My favorite character was Liu. I thought she did a great job. She had nice control for that part and she knew how to put herself into Liu's shoes. The sets and costumes were very different from the video we saw. Our school plays' sets are not as graphic, lavish, and good looking. I was impressed by that. The costumes were simpler than those I saw on the video. I thought the directors and actors did a nice job.
Anonymous said…
Overall, I enjoyed the opera, it was a cool experience. My favorite thing was definitely the backdrops, they were very elaborate and realistic. I also liked the costumes, they were very detailed and fit the theme of the story well. Another good thing was the singers. My favorite vocalist was the women who played Liu, but all the singers sounded good and everything was coordinated very well. I was also very impressed by the theater, I didn't know there was anything like that in Philadelphia. All the characters were played very well, but my favorites were definitely Ping, Pang and Pong because they were the only comedic relief in the story and I thought they sounded good together.



Did you like the workbook?-yes
What would you like to have seen more of in it?- More on the sets (how they were made)
Did your teacher assign homework from the book?-yes
Did your teacher show a video of the opera?-yes
Did you look at the workbook at home?-no
Would you like to see another opera?-yes
Anonymous said…
i enjoyed my time at the opera. I really liked the sets and the way that the scenes changed. The entire show moved very smoothly. the cast did a great job at bringing the charactors to life. The costumes were very elabrate and made you feel like you were in China. Overall i would definatly come back to see another opera.
Anonymous said…
I thought the opera Turandot was amazing. The scenery was beyond outstanding especially the dragon throne and the Jasmine Forest. I really think it was a great show to see. My favorite singer in the whole group was Liu, she really had an outstanding voice that was very ear catching and kept you focused, I think that her voice was better than Turandot. The costumes were very vivid eye-catching colors that kept your attention to the characters
Anonymous said…
I loved the opera!! I had never been to one before and it was a really amazing experience. Even though the set did not change a lot through out the play, each one was extraordinary and extravagant! The dragon in the back of the first set was so beautifully designed and constructed. The amount of work that must have gone into it, is amazing to me. My favorite character was probably Liu. Her voice alone was so beautiful, it sounded almost unreal. She could project her voice without making the notes sound "ugly". Aside from that she was a wonderful actress. My favorite part was when Turandot appeared from under the orb and came on stage, although I wish she was in the opera earlier because she had wonderful stage presence.

Madeleine Andrews
7th Grade
The Philadelphia School
Anonymous said…
i loved the opera! it was amazing and the singing was absolutely phenomenal. In the first act i really liked the spinning weel, and the sparks were awsome. i;m going to say that my favorite character was li, her voice was exquisite! she put off so much emotion and energy that i felt like i could feel her heart breaking with her. it was kind of like i was talking to her and she was confiding in me. i also liked the bubble in the dragons palm where Turandot was concealed. i kind of felt like it showed that she was kind of naive. i also liked how when she came out she gave off an icy aura. the costumes were cool too, but i payed more attentinon to the words. The Philadelphia school
Anonymous said…
I thought the opera was quite spectacular. My favoret acts were Act II and III. I really appriciated the music. I espesally liked Turandot and Calafs solo, and Ping, Pang, and Pong's varias humar.The sets were quite huge , and very beautiful. I liked the blossom tree branches set the most, in Act III. The sets and costums really did the opera justice. I particularly enjoyed Turandots outfits, because they were very elegant, extravagent, and multi-layered. I was very surprised when Lui commited suicide. I thought the plot was very well done. It had a very unexpected ending. I truly enjoyed this opera and thought it was great.

Rebecca C. =)
The Philadelphia school
Grade 7
Anonymous said…
The opera Turandot was the first I'd ever seen, But I would enjoy seeing another opera, another time. I loved the costumes and the set and backdrop the costumes were very detailed and organized. The sets and the backdrops were intone with the acting and the feelings from the actors and actresses.
The singing from people on stage and the music from the musicians in the pit. My favorite song was the killing song in the first act it had so much power and ferocity. They only part in the opera that I did not like was hoe the light kept flashing it really hurt my eyes. But over all it was a great show.

Wylie Veasey
The Philadelphia School
Grade Six
Anonymous said…
On Wednesday night the Turandot performance was very good. In the first act I liked how the actors on the floor were scrambling for the body. They had very good costumes also. All of the actors had extremely good costumes. The back round art made every thing pop out. My favorite characters were Ping, Pang and Pong because they were very funny. They also had very good voices. I also admired how in act 1 and 2 Ping, Pang and Pong were nice and all happy and in act 3 they turned kind of bad. I also liked how Calaf was very determined to get Turandot. This was my first opera and i was very satisfied. If i ever go to another opera they will be hard to beat this one.

Aden Ohayon
The Philadelphia school
7th Grade
Anonymous said…
i really loved the opera. it was a really amazing experience like that one. my favorite character was turandot, something about her made me feel like she was really the ice princess. i didn't like the fact that she came out so late, since the entire opera is about her it was a little confusing when she came out in the second act. i was amazed by the set it was so detailed,my favorite part of the set was the dragon claw! the singing matched the aura of the set. lui was my second favorite she was a amazing actress, she also had beautiful high notes! i also thought ping, pang and pong brought happiness in act one, but in act 2 they changed and became more shallow. price calaf had a wonderful voice. it carried well, his voice has stage presence
Doodler said…
I went to see Turandot on Wednesday and I loved it! My favorite singer was Francesco Hong, acting Prince Calaf. I greatly enjoyed hearing him sing Nessun Dorma. The sets were beautiful and I enjouyed seeing the dragon. It was enormous and was very creative with how it held the emperor and Turandot. Overall I loved seeing Turandot and hope I can hear more songs from it soon.
Katya Croddy
The Philadelphia School
Sixth Grade
Anonymous said…
I had a really fun time at the opera. The costumes were amazing and the sets were as well. Although personally I could have done without seeing Liu being tortured. I think that the actor playing Calaf was amazing, he could really project! my favorite character was Liu because she is so incredibly selfless and brave. She sacrificed her life for Calaf's benefit. And she has an amazing voice as well. Overall I think that Turandot was an amazing performance.

- Abby K.
The Philadelphia School
Grade 6
Anonymous said…
i think it was ok it wasn't the best
















$$$$$$$$$$$$
Anonymous said…
I like the opera because I like operas in general. I also liked the opera because it seemed like there was a lot of work put into it (the backgrounds were amazing.) My favorite character was Calaf because he had a very strong voice and you could see a lot of emotion on his face when he was singing. The sets were amazing. They really showed where they were and what was happening. I also liked the costumes because I thought they showed a lot of who the character was trying to be. That was my favorite opera ever!
~Elias Grade 6 The Philadelphia School
Anonymous said…
The opera was beautifully preformed. I loved the scene when Liu died because it was full of emotion and i think that they depicted it very well. Another scene that I really liked was the scene where Calaf was trying to convince Turandot to give him her heart and to love him unconditionally. My favorite character is Liu. She was a very strong actor and was particularly good in the torture scene. Also, her voice was amazinggggg! I really liked Ping, Pang, and Pong as well they were very funny and they portrayed emotion very well. The sets were beaytifully crafted and the music was magnificent. Many thanks to the opera company for supplying my school with the free tickets.

Tess
Grade 7
The Philadelphia School
Anonymous said…
I enjoyed the opera a lot. It was my first opera. The music was really amazing and even though it was long, it was very entertaining. My favorite characters were Ping, Pang and Pong. All three were very humorous in the midst of the dark opera I really loved when they were trying to coax prince Calaf away from Turandot. My favorite singer was Lui the slave, I really loved the way her voice sounded and the way she sang. I also really enjoyed the costumes of Turandot, the veils and head pieces she wore were so elaborate and amazing! The sets were breath taking, my favorite one was the dragon backdrop that was gradually revealed throughout the three acts and you couldn't tell what it was until the third act I thought that was so cool!!

Carmela
Grade 7
The Philadelphia School
Anonymous said…
The opera was very, very cool. It was fun because of the vibe. The vibe was very energetic, and all of the sets and actors kept this wonderful vibe buzzing. My favorite characters, like everyone else, were Ping, Pang and Pong. I especially liked them because they were very funny, like when they were talking about their homes. They each also had very vibrant and colorful outfits. The sets were also quite spectacular and interesting, it must have cost a lot of money. And my favorite part was the costumes. Thank you to the funders of this, and this has made me very interested and I would love to go again. And this will make a great addition to my iPod. Ethan G.
Grade 7
The Philadelphia School
Anonymous said…
the opera last night was really good. ping and calaf were my favorite character because ping was funny and calaf had a good strong voice. I liked the stage and the backdrop. my favorite part was when ping, pong and pang were at the lake because the sounded good and were very funny. i also really liked the costumes and the two older guy costumes were my favorite because the looked really real. I thought the torture seen was good because torandot acted it out really good. i saw this and other operas in new york and i think it was as good as the operas i saw in new york! :)
Anonymous said…
The opera Turandot by Giacomo Puccini, was my very 1st opera, and it was AMAZING! Not only was the opera musical but it was interesting and colorful, and really good! There was a wide variety of talented actors and actresses, but i would Have to say that by far Ping Pang and Pong are my favorites. I love their names, I love their bright and colorful costumes and my favorite part if the opera is when Ping, Pang and Pong are talking about their homes in Honan, Tsaing and Kiu and then they let out a bug sigh! I really liked the backgrounds. They were amazing! I also really liked the part where Turandot gave Calaf the Three Questions, that was a very intense scene! I didn't like that Turandot was so mean and cruel, but I like how at the end she became a nice person. I really enjoyed the opera, and thank you so so much for Inviting my school!

~ Danielle
The Philadelphia School
7th grade
Anonymous said…
I thought that the performance was incredible. The singing was magnificent. I really enjoyed the the sets and costumes, I thought they were both extremely beautiful and unique. My favorite character was Liu. I liked her because I thought she had a very strong story and background. Overall, my favorite part of the whole opera was definitely Nessun Dorma because, to me, that song is extremely powerful and moving. I would really like to thank you for giving our school this amazing opportunity!

-Clara
The Philadelphia School
Grade 7
Anonymous said…
My experience at the opera on Wednesday night was riveting. I loved the realistic costumes and the very complex scenery. I also liked the intermissions when I could converse with my friends about the opera, to see opinions from different standpoints. My favorite character is a tie for Turandot and Liu. At first, in the beginning of the opera I was not fond of her, but when she finally learned to love Calaf, it was very satisfying. I also liked Liu, because the singer/actress who played her had an amazing voice, and I liked the character because she had such an innocent heart, like at the scene where she commits suicide for Calaf because she loves him so much and can't stand to see him love someone else. Although I do think that some of the acot/singers could have been louder at parts, I do understand it was a dress rehearsal, and a preticularly good one. Great Job, and Bravo/Brava!

Sara
The Philadelphia School
Grade 6
Anonymous said…
Defne
The Philadelphia School

My experience was the best that it could have been. For someone to have seen an opera for the first time it was amazing. I liked it because it was it was very well performed. The only thing I think I would have changed was the post with the heads on them (of the dead princes). My favorite characters were Turendot, Calaf, Temor, and Liu. I personally liked these characters because they really knew how to be the character. The costumes and sets were beautiful! Over all I think this is one of the best operas I have ever seen! Wonderful Performance!
Anonymous said…
I liked the opera a lot and I especially liked the part with the grindstone and the songs that went with it.The opera in general was very good and because there were very good backgrounds and sets. The costumes were very colorful and they reflected the character who was wearing them. My favorite character was Liu because she had a very emotional part and a very important one too.
Zoe
The Philadelphia School
6th grade
Anonymous said…
This is the first opera i been to and i must say im not even into opera AT ALL!! but i found it really interesting they did a good job it was great i would go see it again!
Anonymous said…
Bakari White
Grade: 12
Mastery Charter Schools - Lenfest
The performance was great, as a young and maturing young man I enjoy trying out new things besides movies Saturday night at the bridge. The opera seems like a great place to take a date, or even to go when movies get to predictable. I really enjoyed the story in addition the 'Ping, Pang, and Pong’ they helped the story transition to the lovely ending. The beginning probably would have been more intense and interesting if there was a scene when some one actually attempted to answer the riddles and gets them wrong. This would be helpful because the audience can witness the beheading of one of the three heads on the right side of the stage at the audience’s view. Besides that the opera was great, and this is an experience I will never forget. If I ever get the chance I’d watch it again.
Anonymous said…
The Performance of the Opera Turandot was great.I deeply enjoyed the music aspect of the Opera the most and their voices were truly amazing.The set was beautiful and the characters did a fantastic job portraying the character that they wanted to play.Ping,Pang and Pong were the highlight of the show and they keep me interested In the opera.Overall I am very happy that I was able to see this Opera.

_Chavonna James_
_Mastery Charter High School_
_Grade 11_
The performance of Turandot Wednesday evening was absolutely outstanding. It was my first opera and I was truely amazed of how much I enjoyed it. It will be an unforgetable experience. The evening was perfect and I didn't want to be anywhere else other than there with my teachers and fellow students. The musicians at the bottom really amazed me; I play a musical instument for a nieghborhood drill team and we would have to stay in sync with our steppers, but the perfection they had to obtain was extraordinary and it really impressed me. Since it was just like practice for Friday's performance, I thought the actors weren't going to give it their all, but it seemed like they did. I am forever thankful for you giving students the opportunity to come for free and watch performances as great as Turandot and hopefully in the future I will see another.

~Christopher E. Jackson
Mastery Charter School-Lenfest Campus
Grade 12
Anonymous said…
i really enjoyed the performance of Turandot. it was my first experience at an opera and i absolutely loved it. the set was so realistic and the costumes were great and very detailed. i appreciate the opportunity of being able to attend this opera.

Patricia s.
Mastery Charter High School
Grade 12
Anonymous said…
I like the opera a lot.I like it more than fidelio, and i enjoyed fidelio so much.I am pleased that you invited us twice.I like the opera so much because it had action,romance,and drama.My favorite characters were ping,pang,pong and Lui.
They were my favorite characters because ping,pong and pang was very,very funny to me.I liked Lui the most because she killed herself just to make sure they wont know what the unknown prince namw was.
Turandot was my favorite singer because i liked her voice.The only thing i didnt like was the henchmen because they had rear posterior showing.
Anonymous said…
I liked the opera. It was really dramatic and intense. The actors and actresses were really good. My favorite actress was Liu. She was very passionate about her love for Calaf, and she sang really well. I thought the costumes were great. They were well made and eat costume seemed to fit each character. We were really lucky to get free tickets for our school, and i enjoyed the opera a lot.

Deborah
6th Grade
The Philadelphia School
Anonymous said…
I really liked the opera ant thought that it was an enriching experience. I thought the actor who played Calaf was an excellent singer. In the crowd scenes I thought that his voice dominated the stage. I thought that the dragon set metaphor was very interesting and the costumes could tell a lot about the characters that wore them. My favorite part of the opera was Nessun Dorma. I liked it because the notes and tunes in it were so beautiful and invigorating. I would be very pleased to go to another opera! -Sam, TPS, Grade 7
Anonymous said…
I like the opera because I thought it was really neat that I felt like I was actually in china and watching the whole thing happen in really life. My favorite character was Liu because she really expressed her feelings in her voice , so you could really tell what she felt like. Also I really like the sets because looked kind of realistic to me, and it kind of made my fell like I was in china again at that scene. I thought the costumes were also very beautiful. I think they kind of showed me what you like, if your high ranked as queen, king, poor and so on.
The whole opera was great and I loved it. It really was amazing. I would love to see it again
Anonymous said…
~Yane
The Philadelphia School.
6TH grade.
P.S This is suppose to be with the comment before this.
Anonymous said…
Hi!
The opera was very nice. My first opera experience was wonderful! Great lighting and beautiful settings. The costumes were easy to read, in other words, I could tell thart some perople were peasants and others were warriors. And the music was so good. There was a little high pitched "bing-bong" every few moments. I think that kept the people in the mood and the moment. I loved it.
My favorite characters/actor(ess) were Ping, Pang, Pong, and Liu was AWESOME! Ping, Pang, and Pong were so relaxed and they out a smile on my face. In my opinion, Turandot stole the night away (singing wise), she had such a lovely voice.
This was amazing and good luck! I will go see other operas. You set an amazing example.
Thank you for the invitation

Joanna
The Philadelphia School 7th
Anonymous said…
I loved the voices - I expected them to be loud and overwhelming, but the whole cast sang beautifully, and not too loudly. (though that might've just been because the performance was a dress rehearsal. I didn't have a favorite singer, but I had a favorite scene - when Ping, Pang, and Pong are reminiscing of a time before Turandot. The costumes were gorgeous... I loved Ping, Pang and Pongs' silk fans! The sets were ingenious - I liked how the dragon was gradually revealed, and how the golden globe was always present in every act. The lighting totally set the scene - I think it was really clever of the lighting crew to have a blueish aura always surrounding Turandot (except for the end!) to show that she really is the "ice queen", so to speak. Cookies for tech people!
Anonymous said…
Hi!
The opera was very nice. My first opera experience was wonderful! Great lighting and beautiful settings. The costumes were easy to read, in other words, I could tell thart some perople were peasants and others were warriors. And the music was so good. There was a little high pitched "bing-bong" every few moments. I think that kept the people in the mood and the moment. I loved it.
My favorite characters/actor(ess) were Ping, Pang, Pong, and Liu was AWESOME! Ping, Pang, and Pong were so relaxed and they out a smile on my face. In my opinion, Turandot stole the night away (singing wise), she had such a lovely voice.
This was amazing and good luck! I will go see other operas. You set an amazing example.
Thank you for the invitation

Joanna
The Philadelphia School 7th
Anonymous said…
This class event, gave me my first opera experience, and i am glad to say that "Turandot" was my first opera! In this opera, act one was probably the most beautiful, but the least exciting. The singing was "angelic" "demonic"and wonderful, but the act was just not ad fun and interesting as act 2&3. My favorite act was act two, because, not only for the singing, but "Ping" "Pang" and "Pong" were just too funny, i had to try hard to stifle my laughter! They brought humor, and fun into the tragic, "dark" performance, and made the opera even more exciting and joyus! They were "moody" (i.e when Ping Pang and Pong were trying to, in a way, protect Calaf, yelling and bribing him to leave. But when Calaf rang the gong, the ran off cackling manically) and made me laugh much more than i usually do.
This performance truly gave me good insights on operas, and i am excited to see another from this academy.

~Cora
Anonymous said…
I really liked Turandot. Some reasons I thought Turandot was good is the sets, the singing, and the acting. To add to my experience, the seats that my school sat in had a really good view. My favorite characters were Calaf and Lui. Calaf sang really well and his acting was very unique. Lui was really good at her role she played in the play. Her singing was strong, and her acting was moving. The sets and costumes were really different. I liked the costumes that Ping Pang and Pong wore. THe dragon head was really cool. The sets were all related in the three scenes which was neat. Overall, the opera was really good. It was my first opera I have ever been to and it was a great way to bring me into the opera world.

Jeremy
7th Grade
The Philadelphia School
Anonymous said…
First off, i would like to thank all of the sponsors and the producers of Turandot. I think all of the cast dis a marvelous job. Each scene was very graphic and creative. I think the moral or lesson of this story is to "Not isolate yourself from reality." I say this because in this opera, Turandot isolates herself from love because she's afraid of repetition of her ancestress' tragedy.
My favorite character in this opera is Liu. Liu is my favorite character because she's much like me. Liu is the character I can relate to most. Liu personality traits are compassionate and corageous. I say this because in the scene where Timur falls, Liu compassionately helps him when on one else is concerned. I say Liu is courageous because, because of her love for Calaf, she dies.
The scene that I found the most appealing is where Turandot and Calaf kiss. I not only say this because it's romantic, but it's the first sign of affection, of emotion, and of feeling Turandot shows. With all of the music I love to listen to, who would of thought I'd like the opera.
I'd like to thank not only my teachers but everyone who has made this experience possible. I contemplate on going again to the opera because it was truly a phenomenal experience. I suggest and highly recommend anyone who has never been to such a performance, take the time to go at least once. I think you too will find this and enjoyable event.
Anonymous said…
The opera was great. I really had fun going. My first impression was of the stage. It was amazing, with the dragon and the stairs climbing up to a stage exit. My favorite singers were Ping, Pang, and Pong. After reading the book I knew they would be funny, but I never expected them to be that goofy. It was funny how they would jump around and dance. Although I liked Ping, Pang, and Pong, my favorite part was Nessun Dorma. Calef did a great job singing the last notes. I have been to operas before with my family, but I liked this much better because I already knew the story. I think that's what made me enjoy it so much.

Will, The Philadelphia School, 8th grade
Anonymous said…
In my opinion Turandot was a very amazing opera. I liked the opera because I can relate to the moral of this opera.
My favorite characters are Ping, Pang, and Pong, they are my favorite characters because they added a touch of comedy in a love story. They are also my favorite characters because though out the whole opera their part kept me alert.
Anonymous said…
My favorite part of the opera was definitely the sets. There was a giant dragon on set that was simply astounding. It was clever of them to tilt the stage t'wards the audience so that the audience could more clearly see large the numbers of people on the stage at one time. In the beginning of the first act, there were so many people on stage at one time it was hard to tell who was whom. I was expecting Turandot to appear in the first act, so everytime someone new came down the steps, I thought they might have been Turandot. This made it very confuzing. The costumes were great. The Nessun Dorma was amazing. Thank you a lot!!

Jeremy
The Philadelphia School
Grade 8
Anonymous said…
I feel very inspired by the opera. My favorite character was Liu. I liked her faithfulness. I also began to like Turandot towards the end, especially after she started crying. It portrayed her as human and showed that she felt some remorse for all the people who died for her. I REALLY liked the dragon and I liked that the actors were in the dragons claws. I also really liked the orb that Turandot emerged from. I also thought that the ministers (Ping, Pang, and Pong) were funny. I also thought that the singer who played Turandot was extremely talented. I was very impressed with her performance. I also liked the way the dragon was slowly revealed during the course of the opera. i liked the way that Turandot would throw off her outer layer of clothing whenever she got mad ad then would have some one put it back on her when she calmed down.

Lucy
The Philadelphia School
8th grade
Anonymous said…
I like the production of Turandot a lot. It was my first opera, (besides Phantom of the Opera) and I was pleasantly surprised. I was especially impressed by thr amazing sets, including the massive dragon.
I also really enjoyed the costumes. I don't know how authentic they were, (given I have never been to Imperial China) but they were very beautiful. My favorite costume was Turandot's, especially her long train.
Of course the singing was also excellent. My favorite part was the riddle scene when Calaf anounces the last part of the riddle: Turandot.

-Talia
The Philadelphia School
Grade 8
Anonymous said…
I liked the opera a lot. It had very good singing and good sets. My favorite part was the costumes. They were very bright and fancy. I liked Turndot's first dress the most. When it caught the light it turned to a very pretty golden color. My favorite characters were Ping, Pang, and Pong. They were very funny and had neat costumes.

Luca
The Philadelphia School
Grade Eight
Anonymous said…
The preformance Turandot was truly amazing. I feel very blessed to get the chance to see an opera as great as this. The magnificent blend of singing, and acting were great and i loved every second. seeing Liu's area was one of my favorite parts. Her singing was amzing and when she went for some of her higher notes, she seemed to nail them. I believe she and prince Calaf were the best pair for singing beside the moment shared between prince Calaf and Turandot.
Overall the opera was amazing and I loved getting the chance to go. I truly appreciate the opera seats,

~Carlen V.
The Philadelphia School
8th Grade
Anonymous said…
Puccini's opera Turandot completely took my breath away. I was hanging on every word, even though I couldn't understand them! It was a little difficult to follow along even with the subtitles, so I ended up having to quick read the subtitles, and then keep watching what was going on. My favorite character was Liu because she was so brave and knew what had to be done. Turandot was a joy to watch, and I would gadly come back and watch it again.



Central Junior High
7th Grade
Anonymous said…
My favorite scene was act 3. When Turandot finally loved Calaf I really liked the theme "Love Concerns All" because that really described the play. It was so beautiful and romantic how he demanded her to fall in love with him before sunrise. The stage was beautiful and the seats were awesome. I recommend the Academy of Music to everyone

Tiara Dakens, Anna L. Lingelbach School
Anonymous said…
Charles, Lingelbach School Grade 7

Yesterday February 18, 2009 we went to the Academy of Music to see Turandot. After a few minutes the opera started. The first scene was bright and I thought it was like the middle of the palace. Everybody's costume was beautiful, some of them were really creative. But really my favorite scene was the dragon back round because that's when we all got to see the beautiful princess Turandot. When she came out of that pearl shape figure she had on this gold it was so shiny at first I thought it had diamonds in it.
Anonymous said…
Bria, Lingelbach School Grade 7

In the opera Turandot I mainly liked Ping, Pang and pong because the three of them brought comedy to the opera. And even though the opera was about love and how it will concern someone. It was funny, suspenseful and also still about love. Also I loved the stage set up it was magnificent and it was very different from fidelio. My favorite stage feature was when Turandot came out that white ball. Also when ping, Pang and Pong were shaving tea. My favorite part of the opera was when Turandot fell in love with Prince Calf. And she stopped worrying about the past.
Anonymous said…
Andre, Lingelbach School Grade 7

I liked this show. It was so nice how they all sung. All the stage set ups were nice. My favorite one is the one is the one with the dragon. My favorite person was Lui. She's my favorite because she is caring and helpful. My favorite part is when the unknown prince stands strong to answer the riddles. I liked when Ping, pong and pang was dancing it was fun. They had so much personality.
Anonymous said…
Denise, Lingelbach School Grade 7

I really liked the opera Turandot. I think it was very romantic. I think the costumes and characters were great. I liked almost everything about the opera. It was really sad when Lui took the guards dagger and killed herself because Timur would be lonely now because Lui was with him everywhere. She was my favorite character because she was very warm hearted. I think ping, pang and pong were funny to. I really enjoyed the opera and I hope I could go to another one.
Anonymous said…
Malika, Lingelabch School Grade 7

I want to start off by saying what a lovely show you put on for my school and me also I would like to say Brava to Lui and Bravo to ping, pang, pong and prince Calf. I think you did a fantastic job on playing your rolls and singing your parts. My favorite scene was when Lui killed herself because she did really good at it. My faborite costumes was ping,pang and pong.
Anonymous said…
Devante, Lingelbach School Grade 7

Dear opera, I would like to thank you for that performance, you ladies and gentlemen put together a great performance. I think calf played a great part. I liked the way he played his character. His message to me was to never give up on something you believe in. Thank you and hope I was a good audience. I hope you let us visit again.
Anonymous said…
Brandi, Lingelbach Grade 7

The opera was so beautiful. I really liked it. I would love to see it again. When I first read about this play I thought it was going to be a little dull drama but not that much. At first I did not like it but as it got more in detail it got more interesting. I did not have one favorite character I liked everyone. Each scene was so great. My favorite scene was act 3. prince Calaf an Turanbot had started getting closer to each other. I would recommend this play to any and every body.
Anonymous said…
Tenin, Lingelbach Grade 7

The opera was great. It had al ot of drama.This is the best opera I have seen yet so far. And I have only seen two. My favorite character was Lui.She is my favorite character because she didn't tell Turandot prince Calaf real nme. TO me Lui is a brave person.I liked every scene and the costumes were great.
Anonymous said…
Avery, Lingelbach Grade 7

I liked the opera. I knew what was going to happen because of the book. All the people in the opera did a great job. I really liked and enjoyed this play to the fullest and would recommend this play to anyone
Anonymous said…
Anna L. Lingelbach
Grade: 7
Alexus B.

In my opinion "Turandot" was a very amazing opera. I liked the opera because I can relate to the moral of this opera. My favorite characters were Ping, Pang, and Pong. I say this because they added a touch of comedy in a love story. They are also my favorite because through out the whole opera their part kept me alert.
Anonymous said…
Dayequan Martin
Lingelbach Elemetary school
7th grade
My experience at the opera was awesome.
I like the opera because it was interesting,colorful and a lot of graphics.I also liked the setting and the language.My favorite characters was ping,pang and pong.The reason my favorite characters was ping,pong and pang because i liked the way they sing and the costumes they worn and they were also funny.I hiked the costumes because they were colorful,bright,and they had a nice design.Also they caught my eye.
Anonymous said…
Anna L. Lingelbach
Grade: 7
Quinzanaria S.

First off, I would like to thank all of the sponsors and the producers of Turandot. I think all of the cast did a marvelous job. Each scene was very graphic and creative. I think the moral of this opera is to " Not isolate yourself from reality". I say this because in this opera, Turandot isolates herself from love because she's afraid of repetition of her ancestress' tragedies.
Anonymous said…
Janee Roberts
Lingelbach school
7th grade
Everything in the opera was good.I could hear well and see well.My favorite characters were ping,oang and pong.I liked them alot because they were very funny which made the opera a little funny.I also liked Lui too. Everyone who danced and sung were great as well.I also have to say that the musicians were amazing it sound like they all played the right notes at the right time and it sounded terrific.I say the costumes fit the opera well,Turandots veil was super pretty.I liked it a whole lot.My favorite scene was the last one because Turandot had changed a lot.The opera in general was amazing.I don't think you have to change a thing.
Anonymous said…
Anna L. Lingelbach
Grade:7
Khalif H.A

My experience at the opera was great.I say this because it was very entertaining. I liked the opera because I could almost understand what they were saying. Also I liked it because it had scenes that caught my attention. My favorite character was Calaf because he was determined to get with Turdandot. I also like him because our name is alike. I really liked the costumes because they were very colorful and caught my attention.
Anonymous said…
Anna L. Lingelbach
Grade: 7
Chaya C.

I like the opera because it had riddles, death, hidden romance and comedy. My favorite characters were Ping,Pang, and Pong. I say this because Ping, Pang and Pong were so funny in the opera. The way Liu had the courage to kill herself instead of suffering was amazing. I loved the sets and costumes. There was one costume that really caught my attention. Ping, Pang, and Pong's costumes were just so cute.Red, blue, and green. I loved the scene with the dragons.. They are so cool.
Anonymous said…
Janelle Gaines
Lingelbach School
7th grade
I had a good time at the opera,it was fun overall.I disliked where i were sitting.I likeed it because it was really interesting.I had four favorite characters.My four favorite characters were Ping,pong,pang and Lui.They were my favorite characters because their funny and they seem like a joy to be around.
Anonymous said…
"Turandot" is the first opera I have had the opportunity to see live and I absolutely loved it! My favorite aspect of this opera was the sets and costumes. I have student directed many high school shows, so from that point of view I was able to appreciate "Turandot" even more. The sets were so intricate and I loved the way there was a true upstage and downstage. I wish I had the chance to go backstage. The costumes were so detailed and really helped to tell the story. The only thing I didn't like was how Calaf's costume kept falling off his shoulder. My favorite character was Calaf. His voice was amazing, but all the actors were in character and amazing!

Twin Valley High School
Grade 12
Anonymous said…
The opera Turandot was quite good, and I am glad that this production is the first that I have seen. Calaf was a fantastic singer, but I think Ping was my favorite character. He was a solid singer, but his movement and energy were the key factors in his performance. The set itself was simplistic, but many of the scenes that were created with it were quite elegant. A few of the costumes were overly complex, but it was understandable, because the wearers were nobles.

Twin Valley High School
Grade 12
Anonymous said…
I thought the experience was really good. The set and the costumes were really creative and well done. I liked the opera because I felt like the set & costumes went along really well with the plot. You got a good visual and everything was very detailed. My favorite singer was Liu because I felt like she put a lot into her character and you could really tell how she was feeling.

Twin Valley High School
Grade 12
Anonymous said…
I loved the singing very much, for it was my first opera, and therefore I found the singing to be quite unique. My favorite character was the slave girl, because she was so selfless and kind. I had no favorite singer-I loved them all-because I could not distinguish one voice from being better than another. Even the people with chorus roles sang beautifully. I also very much enjoyed the three men who sang about returning to their homes. I found their actions and facial expressions to be quite funny. I liked the set, and I was impressed, specifically, by the giant golden dragon. I liked the costumes as well, and I was amazed, specifically, by Turandot's intricate mantle and long, flowing cape. Lastly, I thought that the projected translation was extremely helpful in understanding what was being sang.

Jason K.
Grade 9
The Shipley School
Anonymous said…
I loved to opera. The acting and singing was awesome. My favorite person was Liu. But the best thing about it was the sets and costums
Anonymous said…
First, I would like to say that I LOVED the opera, Turandot. The scenes, The plot , and the music was phenomenal! and I hope to go again very soon. I wish that my whole family could see opera and I wish that I could do again.
Anonymous said…
Turandot was my second opera. I really liked the opera . My favorite character was Turandot because she had a certified swagger. It was impressive the way she out sang the rest of the stage crew. It really would encourage others to go to another opera. Overall it was a very good opera.

Hill-freedman
Unknown said…
My experience was simply amazing. The characters voices were dynamic. I would love to go to another one in the future.

My favorite character was Liu. She had the strongest love for Prince Calaf. When a person can take their own life it truly is really love.

Hill-Freedman
Jazmine Champ.
Age 14.
Anonymous said…
Turandot was an amazing opera, the most wonderful opera i have ever seen. I am very thankful to be able to see an opera that cost me nothing out of pocket , I am very thankful to our sponsors. Turandot was a beautiful opera i loved the props and the way that the settings really captured the mind of the audience. i would be greatful to be able watch another opera like Turandot because it really made a difference i loved it. my favorite part was when Lui gave her life for love! The actors were wonderful they did not mark thuogh out the opera. i

TRACEY
HILLFREEDMAN
Anonymous said…
Turandot was outstanding.It was the best opera i've seen. I liked Turandot's voice. I also like Ping, Pang and Pong. They were the funniest people in the opera. Im glad that i saw it. This may have been the only chance i could see this opera. Im glad the opera company of Philadelphia let us have free admission. I hope that they let us see an opera gain. Thank you.
Fareed
Hill-freedman
Anonymous said…
This was the very first opera that I have been to and I would like to say that it was marvelous!! I especially like act III because that is were all the action happened: Liu died, and Turandot found out Prince Calaf name. My favorite characters were Liu, and Prince Calaf.

shakirah
HIll-Freedman Middle School
Grade 7th
Anonymous said…
The performance of Turandot was very lovely. My favorite character was Princess Liu. The costumes, scenery and everything else was beautiful and this opera inspired me to see another one.
Anonymous said…
i love the opera it was so great especially how even though it was only a dress rehearsal that all of the cast member sang for us. i also loved the costumes they were so beautiful. it would be nice to come back, but this was a one in a lifetime chance for me. i thank you for letting my sCHool come. Hillfreedman students appreciate you guys so i would loved to thank 1000 times but i cant so Sincerly this your opera lover
Anonymous said…
I loved the Turandot play. It's wonderful backrounds and designs were beautiful. The precise wording in the way to explain this opera was also awesome. I had a great time there even though it was a dress rehearsal. Jasmine Oates
Anonymous said…
This was one of the most amazing opera's that I ever have seen. I saw The Masked Ball and I thought that was wonderful. The cast set and were lovely. The actor that played Calaf did a marvelous job. I was truly pulled into the expirence.

Alexis Smith
Hill-Freedman
Anonymous said…
Penncrest Senior --

I loved Turandot on Wednesday night. Even though it was a dress rehearsal it felt like the real deal. The sets were gorgeous, especially the court where there was a dragon with the emperor sitting in its claw. The backdrops were amazing, the lighting was beautiful, the singing was awesome, and the acting was funny and moving. Definitely one of the better operas that I've seen.
Anonymous said…
penncrest jr.

The set was awesome. It was cool how the emperor sat up in the hand of the really big dragon. The sets changed so quickly it really made for a great show.
Anonymous said…
Penncrest Senior 2

That was the best opera I have ever been to. The costumes looked good, the acting really showed alot of emotion, and you could tell that the actors have practiced alot in their singing. Everyone had alot of fun!
Anonymous said…
The performance of Turandot on Wednesday night was splendid. It was my first full opera! I was very excited and I couldn't wait to listen to the singers' wonderful voice. When we arrived i was surprised see the beautiful decorations, it was a magnificent experience and I hope to have the chance to be invited to another opera. The costumes of the actors also were beautiful along with the scenery and the orchestra. Overall, I would love to go back to the opera theater and attend another opera!


-Zahmir Lee-Myers
Hill-Freedman Middle School
Grade 7
Anonymous said…
To me it looked like they performed the opera perfectly. I liked the comedians Ping, Pang and Pong. They tried to persuade the prince to get out of marrying Turandot.
Jarred
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
This was my first time going to an opera. When Liu was acting dead I thought she was really dead.
NaImah
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
Ping, Pang and Pong were funny when they were telling the prince not to marry her.
Darrien
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
My favorite character was Liu. I liked her for her courage, bravery and how she stood her ground even when they were torturing her.
Amber
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
My favorite part was when Turandot kissed the prince then isolated herself away from him because she said, "Every guy that likes me dies for me." Nafiece
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
Turandot is a cold hearted witch. She had so many young men die for her and yet she still resented them. When Prince Calaf gets the riddles right I was surprised when Turandot still didn't want to marry him. Liu was a strong woman to kill herself to keep the secret of the Prince's name.
Ayanna
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
the best part of the show was when Turandot chose to like the prince and they kisssed. I thought that was a good part because at first Turandot did not want to like any prince but Liu told Turandot that you will like the prince and Liu gave up her life to let the prince love Turandot.
Justin S.
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
I liked the costume that the princess had on. I liked the veil and the dress with the trail. It was very exquisite. The trick was she was dressed like a bride but she didn't want to be a bride.
Tiana E.
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
The emperor looked like Dumbledorf from the movie Harry Potter. The setting was real pretty and dramatic looking. I thought Lui was real brave.
Kadire
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
It was wonderful how Prince Calaf held thatl long beautiful note. It was great that a human being could do that. I also liked Turandot's singing. It was like she had a sad life. Why wouldn't she want to get married to a man. It was all because her ancestor was killed or beated by a man.
Louis M.
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
Turandot had the best costume and female voice. When Turandot fell in love with the prince I could feel that love. Those notes went so high up. The composer Puccini had to be really talented to make an opera like this one. It makes me want to go again.
Keyshanna
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
I also liked when Lliu was singing and she said, "You can torture me. I don't care. I will not give up his name." I really, really liked when the prince sang "Nesssun dorma". I thought it was amazing when he held that note for a long time.
Alisha
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
It was great. I liked Turandot because she told Prtince riddles. I liked the execution especially when the wheel started to spin and the sword was sparking.
Irving
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
Thank you for letting Morrison School come to your opera. I liked all of the settings. I liked the heads all over the place and how the dragon had one hand up and one hand down. I also liked when they threw out the dead man and the people of Peking started to pull it apart. There was a nice backgroun of mountains and clouds when Ping, Pang and Pong came in on the boat.
Malik
Morrison School
Ms. Poses 5th-7th Grade Classes
Anonymous said…
I loved Turandot. It was my very first opera and I want to go to another one ASAP. Liu was my favorite charachter her singing was beutiful. The perfomance overall was amazing from the costumes to the acting it was all a wonderful experience that i will always remember.

Allante Hill-Freedman
Anonymous said…
I ADORED Turandot! I loved from Liu's bravery to Turandot's gown. The scenery was so life like that i believed that i was actually in ancient china. This experience was exiting and once in a lifetime. Unfortunately, the time flew by so fast. This was a performance i will never forget.

-Essence
Anonymous said…
My experience at the opera was a fairly good one. Aside from my seat in the last tier, I enjoyed the music and the acting of the performance. I especially liked Ping, Pang & Pong. They supplied a great comic relief to the more dramatic scenes. My favorite part was when they sang about their homes. I also appreciated the amazing sets and elaborate costumes. It was like I was really in an ancient Chinese city. Also they changed each set without anyone really noticing. this was because that everyone watching, including myself, was pulled into the performance and just focused on that.
-Chelsea Lacey-Mabe, grade 10
Bishop Shanahan High School
Anonymous said…
The performance of the opera overall was interesting. The lady who played Turandot was hard to understand however. The tenor who played Calaf was superb. The ministers, Ping, Pang and Pong were eccentric but quite entertaining. Liù gave a good performance also. The upper seats in which my school was situated had cramped seating and obstructed views. The beginning of the act was little dull and drawn out but quickly gained pace.

Daniel Angelozzi, grade 10
Bishop Shanahan High School
Anonymous said…
I throroughly enjoyed the opera. The sets and costumes were amazing, though I thought the dress Turandot wore with the long train was obnoxious. The soprano who played Turandot was my least favorite singer, while Liù had an amazing voice. The three ministers were also among my favorite characters. I didn't care much for the theater, the seats were uncomfortable, but I really like the opera regardless. The mood portrayed was entrancing and the singers did an awesome job. Aside from Liù, my favorite singer was the tenor who played Calaf. They were both amazing. Other than the uncomfortable seats and lack of leg room in our seats, the pillars were annoying, other than those points, I loved Turandot.

Nicole Vecere, Grade 10
Bishop Shanahan High School
Anonymous said…
Turandot was the first opera I've ever attended so I didn't really know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised with the singing (for the most part). Calaf in my opinion had a wonderful voice. I got the chills whenever he sang. He did a great job on "Nessun' Dorma". I must say the seats were far away but I understand that we are new to the opera company and better seats will come in time. I thought the costumes were great and the sets were very captivating. Over all, I thoroughly enjoyed the opera. It wasn't too tedious and it was a great experience! Grazie!

-Ashley Robertson, grade 10
Bishop Shanahan High School
Anonymous said…
One of the best parts of the opera was the pit orchestra and most of the singers. I thought all of the singers were very professional especially Calaf and Ping, Pang, and Pong. Despite the strong musical and vocal performances, the seating could have been better.
The choreography was very good and added a flare to the acting performance. Some of the other members of the audience were very disruptive. Also the leg room and layout of the theater made the performance difficult to appreciate at times. I thought that the opera was a wonderful performance but would have been more convenient if it were scheduled during school hours.

-Clinton Tustin, grade 10
Bishop Shanahan High School
Anonymous said…
I found this particular production of "Turandot" to be engaging and entertaining. The entire cast did a fabulous job with the musical side of their performances as well as the phenomenal orchestra which complimented the drama on stage.
The sets and costumes were superb and added a stunning visual aid to the opera. However, this performance had a few flaws that should be noted for future performances: The actress which played Turandot, was, I believe, a bit too strong in her delivery, which at many times mad the lyrics very difficult to understand. However, the tenor who played Calaf was an exellent singer and showman. Some of the other actors seemed a bit exaggerated in their delivery. Overall, this was a fine performance.

Jordan Lannan, grade 10
Bishop Shanahan High School
Anonymous said…
The Turandot performance was spectacular. I loved the utility of the props and the actors costumes. My favorite character was Lui because of her mighty courage to save the love of her life, Prince Calaf. I was saddened when she stabbed herself in front of everyone but I like to believe that her reasons to do so were so strong, her heart couldn't handle it. Overall the performance was beautiful, turning this tragic tale into a happy ending.

-Leslie C.
Princeton High School
Grade 10
Anonymous said…
I felt the costumes were extremely nice. I enjoyed the various styles. The sets were also interesting as well. I enjoyed the mood they set with the various props. My favorite part of all the sets was the large dragon with the pearl. My favorite characters were the ministers and the costumes they wore. Our seats were extremely high. The leg and arm room were limited.
Calaf was the best performer in my opinion. Overall, I had a very wonderful experience. It was my first opera and I do hope to see another.

Allen Snyder, grade 10
Bishop Shanahan High School
Anonymous said…
The opera was definitly a lot better than I expected it to be. I enjoyed watching the minister in red. He had a nice voice and was a good actor. Being in the highest level was a disappointment as I do not have very good eyesight. One of the pillars also blocked my view the whole time, so I could not see the translations. I could have been more comfortable during the show if I had more leg room, but it wasn't a really big deal. The soprano didn't have the most enjoyable voice and could have been better. Overal it was a good experience and I would attend another opera.

Alex Corridoni, grade 10
Bishop Shanahan High School
Anonymous said…
I enjoyed the opera overall. While some of the voices were less than optimal. (Calaf carried the show and Turandot was overly vibrato). The secenery was glorious and the costumes were lavish. Although the Mandarin's headpiece looked tacky and home-made. I really like the set with the dragon claws, but the one with all of the branches I found very distracting. I found the headress on Turandot to be overwhelming her head. I was a fan of Ping, Pang and Pong, their comic relief was much appreciated. However at the beginning, their triplicate gestures were less than syncronized.
Also, our seats on the upper most balcony made it difficult to see the detail I am sure must have been present. All tolled, I enjoyed the experience of seeing an opera and look forward to seeing another.

Laura Allan, grade 10
Bishop Shanahan High School
Anonymous said…
Going to an opera was definitly an interesting and different experience. I like the relationships between the many characters. Their colorful costumes and props made the opera seem more lively. If I went again I would like to sit somewhere else, but our school didn't have a choice and it was still an experience to be able to go. My favorite character was Liù because her acting was the best, on the other hand, I didn't think her singing was the best. I thought that the transition between scenes went smoothly and also the English subtitles on the top of the curtain was way more helpful.

Alyssa Donze, grade 10
Bishop Shanahan High School
Anonymous said…
I very much enjoyed this opera. It was visual art in the best form. This opera had a lot of drama. It had amazings sets and costumes. I was very impressed and thankful to see such a performance. Turandot was well done, the cast was so large, that it was magical that it could be done so very well. Thank you for sharing this opera with us.
Homeschool Student
grade 11
Unknown said…
8L- Dominique Jones from: Hill Freedman MS
The performance of Turandot was wonderful. The scenery was amazing and the music was soothing. The theme of the opera "HIs name is love" was very interesting and attracted my undivided attention. I wish that I could see another Puccini opera.
Unknown said…
8H-Yaszmin Belton from: Hill Freedman MS
Turandot was one of the most amazing operas I have ever seen. The set was wonderful and the musical orchestra was phenomenal. I hated the intermissions because I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. At the end it was so amazing how the whole time Turandot was going to say that The unknown prince name was "Love." I will be ecstatic to see another one of Puccini operas.
Anonymous said…
The opera was very good. I'm very glad I had the opportunity to experience it. If I had the chance to go again, I most certainly would. My favorite character was Turandot. This is because she was pretty and coldhearted . but by the end she learned to love. I absolutly loved the costumes as well as the setting. It was the best opera trip I've been on. I'll remember it forever.
Anonymous said…
In my view that was the best stage performance i have ever seen. I think Turandot was the best thing that came to Philadelphia since the Phillies in the World Series. I can really take the whole play in because of the spectacular costumes and background. All in all it was a wonderful experience.
Anonymous said…
Anna L. Lingelbach
Brandon T.
Grade:7

I like the opera because it had a lot of action. The graphics was nice too, Ping was my favorite character because he was funny and he kept the crowd going and cheerful. He was out going in the performance. Ping was the life of the show, he was the one who made the play more exciting. I like the sets of China because China is a beautiful. I like the warriors' armor. It was very amazing.
Anonymous said…
Anna L. Lingelbach
Yasmeen M.
Grade:7

I liked the opera because it was a very different experience. It also helped me learn new words in Italian. My favorite character was Turandot. Turandot was my favorite character because she opens her heart at the end of the play. The settings and costumes were amazing.
Anonymous said…
I loved the drama of Turandot, though I was hoping for more gore! I think it is cool to hear a famous aria in the context of the whole opera. I think. "Hey, I know that piece!" and it makes opera more personal. Thanks to Sounds of Learning for making it possible. I would have never seen an opera if it weren't for you.

Ecco C.
Homeschool
Grade 8
Anonymous said…
Okay, here's what should have happened. The subjects should have turned on Turandot and Calaf and beheaded them! They deserved to die after their selfish behavior. Well, aside from that, the opera was beautifully presented with impressive sets. Thank you Sounds of Learning.

Catiana C
Homeschool
Grade 12
Anonymous said…
It was the most fabulous show I've ever seen. The actors and actresses were very fantastic. Although it was just a rehearsal, I thought it was a real published show. The costumes were also very great that fit every single characters' theme. The plot and the story were good as well, although there were some details I didn't really agree. It wasn't a happy ending, but it was good enough to me. Hopefully I'll have such opportunity to enjoy arts in the future again. That was such a very remarkable experience!
Anonymous said…
I loved seeing the opera Turandot! It was the first opera that I have gone to and now I want to see more. The ministers were hilarious! They made me laugh, even just by the way them moved. I also really liked the dramatic executioner's scene. The lighting made it seem exciting and suspenseful. The sets were amazing too. I especially liked the tree scene. It was very mysterious and cool. Liu had an amazing, beautiful voice. Thank you so much for giving the students tickets so that we could see the show. I can't wait to see another opera!

Jenny
Studio for Strings
Grade 7
Duong Thang Ly said…
My name is Duong Thang Ly. I have been studying in School Philadelphia High School. It was my first Opera too. Before the Opera, I thought it was the same with my country Opera,it would be boring. My main purpose was hang out with my friends, I didn't really want to watch it. My mind was changed by the performances when I saw them. Their costumes, make up, stage, decoration, music, voices, and everything were so different from my country. I had the long debate with my friends about princess and prince, we were so inspired. Hopefully, you will give us another chance to see you again in next year. Thank you for providing free ticket for us and another student from another school, I believe that they also have the same feeling with me. Finally, thank you Mr.Mirsky (my teacher in my school) for giving us a great opportunity to enjoy the performance of Turandot.

Duong Thang Ly
Grade: 11
South Philly High School
Teacher: Mr.Mirsky
Anonymous said…
The performance of Turandot was outstanding. The scenery was very beautiful and added to the plot of the play. I really like Ping, Pang, and Pong, they were funny. The opera was an unforgetable experience. I really enjoyed myself!

~Lauren Thomas
Mastery Charter
12th grade
Anonymous said…
Daijah , grade 7
Lingelbach
I liked the opera because it was filled with excitement and it had a lot of drama. The costumes were great although some looked old and worn out. I liked the setting especially when all the characters were on stage. My favorite character was Lui because she is helpful, caring and determined to save the man she loves. She has a pure, graceful and gentle heart and soul. Thanks for the experience.
Anonymous said…
Nahjay
Lingelbach Grade 7
Turandot was really nice. It was funny and sad. My favorite character was Ping because he was funny. I like the costumes. They were colorful. I learned about ancient China and the setting was nice. I did not like the character Turandot because she was mean and cold-hearted but had a great voice. We studied a lot in class and liked the book. Thanks.
Duong Thang Ly said…
My name is Duong Thang Ly. I have studied in South Philadelphia High School. It was also my first Opera.
Before the Opera, I though that would be boring and sleepy, I just wanted to hang out with my friends.
I was changed my mind by the performers when I saw them. Every thing about their costumes, make up, voices, actors, actresses, etc, were different from my country, I can't leave the performance even though one second. I and my friends had a long debate about the prince and princess during we were going home.
Thank you for providing the free ticket for us and another students from another school, I believe they also have the same feeling with me. Hopefully, we will have the chance to see you again on next year. Finally, thank you Mr.Mirsky for giving us the great opportunity to go that Opera.

Duong Thang Ly
Teacher: Mr.Mirsky
South Philadelphia High School
Ji.Uyen said…
The performance of Turandot on February 18th was really interested. I really liked it. That was my first opera. I never thought that I would go to see an opera, and I also thought that it would be boring but you know what? I couldn't leave my eyes during the performance. The actors were very excellent in their actions.My favorite characters were Liu_ the slave and Ping, Pang, Pong. I liked the scene of the dawn, the scene when Turando appear, and the best part which I liked in the performance was when Liu die. I was cry, really. I still like this performance and I hope I can see it again in my life time.
Thank you for providing the free tickets for student. Thank you Mr. Mirsky because of this interesting performance.

Ji.Uyen
South Philadelphia High School
Grade 11.
Anonymous said…
Coming from New Jersey and walking into the house, I was extremely excited to see this opera. However walking out, I couldn't help but feel a little bit...disappointed. I really enjoyed the performance and the effort put into it, it was quite amazing, however there were some parts of the performance that were quite disturbing and annoying. In some instances, Turandot's singing seemed so loud and forced. It was like she was trying to sing/talk over the villagers and the music!! I couldn't help but cover my ears. Also, Ping Pong and Pang said some pretty derogatory things about women that really shocked me. I mean, women can be quieted by their husbands’ kisses? Umm, excuse me?! But even though I was pretty annoyed by these few things, I couldn’t help but love the performance. I think it was great though that Turandot showed that not ALL women are greedy and selfish like Turandot. Lui was the total opposite of that… and she had an amazing voice. I understand that it was just a dress rehearsal and if I had the opportunity to come to the real performance, I think I definitely would have. Thanks for a great night!

-Angie A.
Princeton High School
Class of 2010
Anonymous said…
it was so great, i was so happy when i saw it. the actor and actress was great.the scenery and the clothes was so beautiful. i love it.
KIEU-UYEN
SOUTH PHILLADELPHIA HS
Anonymous said…
The opera was a masterpiece to my eyes and ears because the way they present the culture in this production. Even though everything was in Italian it surprised me how I could feel what was happening and very impressed. Turandot was my favorite character because she seems so sweet yet fierce and powerful. Her voice was so beautiful and sweet as she went on with the production. I liked the props and everything because it seems so real. For example, the tree branches in the forest they made for the dawn scene. I liked their costumes because they made them very interesting and exciting to see. The opera inspired me to see more operas in the future.
Anonymous said…
I liked it. I enjoyed looking at the costumes. What i liked about the music is all the high pitches that the people could do. I would like the sub titles to be up longer and slower coming up. I liked the props because they looked so real. I liked the costumes and all the different colors and designs on it. Toward the middle, the story got a little confusing, but then I got back on track. All in All, it was a great opera and I got a lot of experience of what an opera is like.
Anonymous said…
This being my first opera, I was not very excited to go. In all the movies I've watched, it seems like the female character is trying to drag the male role to the opera, and when they get there, he tries to fall asleep only to be awaken by a high pitched note. I was also expecting people in those viking helmets with the two blond braids hanging down. As I found out, the opera was nothing like that.
As the show began, I was amused by the scenery and how much time and effort must have gone into it. I also could not believe how large the cast was. When the actors began to sing, I was shocked I was able to stand it. I was even more shocked by the fact that I was enjoying it. I was glad there were subtitles letting me know what was happening.
The only part that disappointed me was that it was hard to hear some things but I think that was just because the cast was saving their voices for opening night. Another problem I had was the length, but at least it had many breaks. All in all the opera was nothing I expected it to be and I loved it.

Melissa
Princeton High
Grade 10
Anonymous said…
When I heard the concept of Turandot, I rolled on the floor laughing, my parents stared at me and then went back to watching television. It was set in China, and it was an opera, obviously sung in Italian. Amusing, no?

In any case, the opera was outstanding. As I am currently writing a screenplay, it was amazing to see how the plot turned out. It was inventive, amazing, sometimes over the top, but overall totally sweet.

The set was marvelous, and I especially liked the lighting dynamics, along with the dragon that went across the stage as a constant. The dragon was AWESOME.

As many others have mentioned, thank you so much for giving free tickets to students, as this was really a great opportunity to learn to appreciate the great art of opera.
Anonymous said…
I really enjoyed the different costumes and scenery displays. It was my first opera, and I've never seen anything like it! The storyline was really amzing and heartfelt when the sactors sang it.

Central Junior high school
grade 7

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...