Skip to main content

La boheme Blog




WRITE A REVIEW: Having had the opportunity to see La boheme at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found in your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more. 

With both options we ask that you include your:

             FIRST NAME:
             SCHOOL:
             GRADE:

You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  

Steven Humes
Opera Philadelphia
Education Manager

Comments

Anonymous said…
La Boheme is a dramatic and interesting opera. Opera Philadelphia did a great job with the unique background and the singers were expressive on stage. I enjoyed the scene with the chorus and the busy cafe. The moving paintings in the background made the setting come to life.
Silvia
9th grade
Central High School.
Anonymous said…
This opera was very nice and I enjoyed it. The costumes and acting were great. My favorite character was Musetta because she thinks very much about herself, like I do. The orchestra was amazing and was very good. Overall i believe it was an outstanding opera.
Alessandra
9th grade
Central High School
Unknown said…
La Boheme was the first opera that I have ever seen. Overall, the experience was very nice. I loved the set design, and I think it is very cool how the paintings from the Barnes and Philadelphia Museum of Art were incorporated. Marcello's canvas was a particular highlight, in how it looked like he was actually painting on it. Even though the story was fairly simple, it was made interesting in the song, and choreography. The orchestra did a wonderful job, and I think that the music really helped set the mood for some scenes. In some scenes, the music was dark and ominous, while in others, it was light and happy. The characters were very dramatic and extreme, like how I would imagine opera characters to be. For most people, I think that they would be easy to relate to, even though none of them really stood out as being like me. This opera was very well done, and I would definitely recommend going to see it. Lydia, Central High School, Grade 9
Unknown said…
Fedline
Central High School
9th Grade

La Boheme at Opera Philadelphia was definitely something I do not regret viewing. Overall, it was a great experience that help me with, both, my Italian and my future career.
I have always been impressed by the arts, it was something that I always wanted to be apart of. Viewing La Boheme at the Opera Philadelphia really made realize that there was so much to a production then just the actors/singers. The costumes, the set, the orchestra, all of them enlightened me to how much work and time and detail is put into a performance.
La Boheme is definitely a show to see. The characters are all so lovely portrayed by the actors and the talent is through the roof. 10/10 amazing
Anonymous said…
FIRST NAME:Natalie
SCHOOL:James Dobson
GRADE:6th

The opera was very good I liked all the props and singing the actors were amazing they really put a lot of effort into it! the ending really got me shocked but not enough to cry..But overall mimi dying is really a major thing because when rodolfo saw that she was dead he was really sad and was really acting like someone died. (lol) even though the opera was really old they still put in a little new humor so people can get that hint of laugh.Over all the opera is REALLY good!!!
Anonymous said…
The show was okay. It was very slow and I didn't really like it. I mainly liked the part when everybody was dancing and the lady with the fire came out.
Anonymous said…
FIRST NAME: Jayla
SCHOOL: James dobson school
GRADE: 6

I liked the designs sets and art but I didn't like the main story I found it to be boring.
hunter said…
i really liked the opera but i dont sitting for that long
Anonymous said…
FIRST NAME:Najea
SCHOOL:James Dobson
GRADE:6th grade

what i liked about the play is that is mainly how good the characters acted and interested they during the whole opera!!! I also lied the costumes and props that they used for the play.
Anonymous said…
destiny 6th grade school James Dobson

I like the opera because it was really good my favorite person was MUSETTA because she was really funny and had a laugh that you new she was up to no good. last reason the opera was really good was all the people they were really funny and they had really emotions. Three things i didn't like was that it was really long.You could eat so I got really hungry. last thing that was wrong for some people it was really hard to stay in a seat for a long time.
Anonymous said…
FIRST NAME: Jadelynn
SCHOOL: James Dobson
GRADE: 6th Grade

One of the thing that I wasn't satisfied with was in one act the lighting was really bright and it hurt my head.
Anonymous said…
The La Boheme was pretty cool because act 2 the thing that was cool was the man on stilts was trying to balance so hard the the person with the fire was cool because the fire came out of the mouth and the fire on the stick and threw up into the air. Alex grade 6 school Dobson.
Anonymous said…
-Sam-
-Dobson-
-6th Grade-
This is my review of the opera, I think the opera was cool I liked the end and the beginning I hated all the intermissions it took a bit for the rest of the opera to get ready for the final intermission. I recommend people to watch the opera if you like opera's.
Anonymous said…
FIRST NAME:Rudolph
SCHOOL:Dobson
GRADE6
Unknown said…
Evelyn
Central High School
Grade 9

La Boheme was a great experience, especially considering that it was my first opera. The singers had amazing voices and they definitely acted very well. Each actor matched their character perfectly and by far, Musetta was my favorite. Musetta was a very relatable character with a very great voice.
Rmani Justiniano said…
La boheme was a fantastic opera. I loved the acting, the props, and the actors. It was very interesting and genuinely amazing. The Opera was very entertaining and flowed the right way. The characters were very interesting.
Unknown said…
Attending the opera, "La Boheme," was a favorable and enjoyable experience. The scenery and stage were magnificent: the room was large with archaic themes, large stage with an orchestra that appeared to glow, and a large chandelier that hung gracefully from the ceiling. From a performance standpoint, the opera exceeded my expectations. The acting was convincing and the vocal performances were compelling. Overall, the opera was very intriguing, and I would definitely recommend seeing it.

Michael
Central Highschool
Grade 9
Blu Buonomo said…
The opera was very well preformed. Molto bravi! I enjoyed Musetta's amazing acting and her beautiful voice. I hope to see more operas with opera Philadelphia in the future.

My name is Blu Buonomo, i am in 9th grade and I go to central high school.
Anonymous said…
La boheme was a fantastic opera. I loved the acting, the props, and the actors. It was very interesting and genuinely amazing. The Opera was very entertaining and flowed the right way. The characters were very interesting.

Rmani
Central High School
9th grade
Unknown said…
I liked the opera. The set was very interesting and the art was very nice. I liked the arias. The characters were very lively and interesting. I liked Musetta's outfits. The actors were very talented and they seemed like the characters they were playing.I liked when Rodolfo and his friends were joking around.
Astrid
Central High School
9th grade
Blu Buonomo said…
The opera was very well preformed. Molto bravi! I enjoyed Musetta's amazing acting and her beautiful voice. I hope to see more operas with opera Philadelphia in the future.

My name is Blu Buonomo, i am in 9th grade and I go to central high school.
Anonymous said…
This was an amazing production. It was my first time seeing an opera. The way different famous paintings were incorporated was brilliant. I loved the cafe scene, it was so bright and upbeat with so much life. The whole opera and plot seemed so real and the characters were very relatable. The singing was absolutely beautiful the cast was so talented. Overall I loved it. I am thrilled this was my first opera I went to see. The scenery was beautiful and so well put together. The unique ways in which everything came together was great.
Sophia
Central High School
9th Grade
Unknown said…
I loved having the opportunity to go and see La boheme. I enjoyed watching the show very much. The props were great and the set was amazing. These things really added to the atmosphere of the opera. The acting and singing was fantastic and I would recommend everyone to go see the opera.

Juliana Martino
Central High school
9th grade
Anonymous said…
La boheme was a very entertaining opera, suited for our age group. The subtitles were very helpful to the viewers understanding of the plot. The actors were extremely talented, their voices captivating the audience throughout. Unique to this opera, the art being displayed across the setting was a very fascinating. The combination of the background, props, and talented acting provided to create a fantastic show.

Olivia
9th Grade
Central High School
Anonymous said…
I thought the opera was overall a great performance. The characters´ personalities were pretty relatable and it was a good story. I enjoyed it. However, sometimes when the singing was very drawn out it was hard to understand the words that we did learn. Also, it felt like Mimi and Rodolfo fell in love a bit too quickly.

Arianna
Central High School
Grade 9
Unknown said…
I enjoyed the opera, as we went over everything in class and I very much enjoyed the plot and the music. It was very well performed and all of the performers were incredible talented. The scenery with the famous paintings and movement was very eye catching and enjoyable. I especially enjoyed the Musetta & Marcello dynamic, it was very well depicted. I think my experience was elevated by the program we did in class through Opera Philadelphia, and I would love to do it again.
Victoria
9th Grade
Central High School.
Unknown said…
The singing ability of all of the actors/actresses are were amazing. Each also did an amazing job with embodying the character they were portraying. The production was high quality and the overall opera was interesting. The venue of the opera itself was also beautiful especially because of the breathtaking chandelier.

Daniel, Central High School, Grade:9
Anonymous said…
I thought the opera was overall a great performance. The characters´ personalities were pretty relatable and it was a good story. I enjoyed it. However, sometimes when the singing was very drawn out it was hard to understand the words that we did learn. Also, it felt like Mimi and Rodolfo fell in love a bit too quickly.

Arianna
Central High School
Grade 9
Unknown said…
This was the first opera I have ever attended, and I have to say that it was an amazing experience. The props and costumes were great, and the Paintings and scenery were beautiful. The plot was very interesting throughout the whole opera and the actors were very talented. My favorite character was Musetta because she was very charismatic and lively and made the opera better.

Wanda Jaquez-Gomez
Central High School
9th grade
Unknown said…
This was the first opera I have ever attended, and I have to say that it was an amazing experience. The props and costumes were great, and the Paintings and scenery were beautiful. The plot was very interesting throughout the whole opera and the actors were very talented. My favorite character was Musetta because she was very charismatic and lively and made the opera better.

Wanda Jaquez-Gomez
Central High School
9th grade
Brian said…
I really enjoyed the rendition of La boheme I got to view. The story was exceptional and I was interested in the outcome throughout the whole opera. The characters are very relatable and I found myself rooting for the main characters in the climax of the opera. The music was amazing and most of the songs were stuck in my head. The sets was incredible and the opera house was commendable.

Brian
Central High School
9th Grade
Unknown said…
Throughout the opera La Boheme, I was satisfied and impress by how well organize the performance was. The dancers, singers, actor, and stage crew were amazing! Very jaw dropping. Not only was it an enjoyable performance, but it was also educational as I was able to develop my Italian skills. I would definitely recommend people to do watch it ! I related to Musetta's dramatic personally the most. The place where the performance took place was every beautiful. Thank you for this experience.

Naiyanna Maurath
Central High School
10th Grader.
Anonymous said…
I had a lot of fun watching La boheme. I loved the art works, the characters, and the singing. All of these things were wonderful but, my favorite part was the orchestra. The music was beautiful and always seemed to perfectly set the mood. The tune played whenever the main characters were on stage gave them, in my eyes, a sense of unity. This was my first time seeing an opera and it was amazing, I would definitely go again.

Justice
Central High
9th
Anonymous said…
Ryan
Central High School
Grade 9
I thought La boheme was a very enjoyable experience. The music was very good and went along greatly with the scene's events. The acting was great and was how I imagined the script would be acted out. The use of the painting was a good touch, going along perfectly with the events of the opera. I would recommend someone go to see it at least once
Anonymous said…
The opera was a great overall experience. The process of entering the building to the start of the opera was very smooth. I thoroughly enjoyed the velvet seating, and the seamless transition between each act. The opera in itself while interesting in terms of plot, and very well acted, the positioning of our high seats was very disorienting. The way the set was formatted from the angle I saw was confusing and distracting, and looked unrealistic. However, the theater was beautiful, especially the chandelier, and was a great center piece of the theater. Only the view of my specific location was unfavorable. All in all, La Boheme was a great opera and I wish i could have the chance to see it again.

Mosa
Central
9th
Anonymous said…
Alex
Central Highschool
12th Grade

Out of the 4 opera's by Opera Philadelphia that I've seen La Boheme was my favorite. When it came to characters, music, and the story is was just as good as the other 3 opera's I have seen. Where it was set apart was the set. I thought the use of art and moving details was very engaging and creative. The background characters were also used most effectively in La Boheme.
Anonymous said…
Theodosios
Central High School
12th Grade
La boheme was a wonderful opera with great visuals and greater music. Every scene blended well into one another and felt natural. The only complaint I have about the experience was the lack of leg room and comfort throughout the entire duration.
Anonymous said…
The play was wonderful. It was engaging, funny, entertaining, and relatable. The breaks were well timed and kept me refreshed and eager to watch the rest of the opera. By far my favorite opera I have seen so far.
Anonymous said…
Rebecca
Central HS
12th Grade

The opera this year was very enjoyable. Though I found myself dozing off during the first act, the acts that followed thereafter were more intriguing. The last act portrayed Mimi's death in a way which made me feel emotional, as we have seen Mimi grow throughout the play and felt like we were there with her; the sacrifices also contributed to the emotional factor. I also especially enjoyed the music, as some pieces were relaxing and others dramatic, and they suited the scenes well. Thank you for the opportunity.
Anonymous said…
Nydira
Central High School
Grade 12

After seeing The Opera of Philadelphia live production of La Boheme, I can truly say that I have developed a greater love for opera and the arts overall. I think that The Opera of Philadelphia put an exceptional modern twist on a 19th century opera, allowing it to be relatable and enjoyed by all audiences. My favorite thing about the opera was the set; I greatly appreciated the way that the designers built the set,making the eye and brain believe that the 3D was actually 2D, that was an effect that I loved the most.
Anonymous said…
Kyra
Central High School
12th grade

I really enjoyed the creativity of the sets and the design. I thought it was beautiful how the directors used art as backdrops in the scenes. Then, I really enjoyed the humor in the opera. The characters were funny and I could tell the crowd enjoyed the jokes.
Anonymous said…
Janaya
Central Highschool
Grade 12

"La Boheme" was a beautiful productions. From start to finish the use of art and set design showed so much while still be minimal, and that created a delightful show. For me my favorite part or act of "La Boheme" was act two when everyone was at the restaurant and parpignol came out to play. Then at the end I really enjoyed how the last scene of mimi dying was inspired by one of the pictures marcello painted.
Anonymous said…
Kellie
Philadelphia virtual academy
Grade 12

"La Boheme" was beautiful,interesting, and heartfelt. The set was fantastic and so were the costumes. There was a lively energy in the audience and it was definitely felt from the cast. The orchestra did a wonderful job matching certain melodies with the feelings of the characters. The best part of "La boheme" for me personally, was when Musetta set aside her materialistic values for Mimi's life. After that, all of Mimi's friends seemed to look inside themselves and correct their old ways. What I really loved was Marcello's paintings being shown on the wall of him and Rodolfo's home.I thought that was amazing!
I enjoyed "La boheme"
Anonymous said…
The performance of this opera, "La Boheme" was like no other. I had one other experience of an opera, and i expected so little yet i got so much. This performance moved me, the actors did amazing at portraying these characters and showing the raw emotions. The music worked so well with everything going on that i felt so intrigued on what would happen next, their beautiful singing voices really brought it all together. The sets and costumes really fit this opera well, you could see what the characters were going through just by these small details in the clothing they were wearing, and where it took place. The setting made it much more emotional, much more raw for me. I think if anyone had the opportunity to see an opera, they should see "La Boheme," it is such a good, beautiful experience, the acting was well done, and this was a well written story.

Mykayla
Philadelphia Virtual Academy
Grade 12
Anonymous said…
La Boheme is a great opera the singing was phenomenal and the stage presence was good. the set design was minimalistic and times and immense at other times. I felt a little more things on stage would help fill in the very large stage. overall the experience of being in such a nice theater with the grandeur of the opera was nice.
Anonymous said…
Alyssa
Archbishop Wood
Grade 11
I really enjoy the production of “La Boheme”, I as I always for with Opera of Philadelphia productions. I thought the acteress and actors sounded amazing and were very well suited to their role. In addition the orchestra also sound wonderful throughout the entire show. The set design was really cool and I liked how it was slanted and not a straight on back drop because I felt like it made it easier for the people sitting of the side to see the whole picture instead of some of it getting cut off by the side of the stage. Though the actors, actresses, and music sounded great I can’t say this is my favorite opera I’ve seen just because I felt the story moved a bit slowly. I also didn’t like how all of the couple were constantly on and off again, but the final act was nice because I knew all of the couples relationship status and the music was probably my favorite in the last act, even though sadly Mimi was dying.

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...