JOIN OUR BLOG
Choose from one of the two options:
OPTION 1) YOU BE THE JUDGE: The Magic Flute has been performed thousands of times throughout the world. Directors over the years have always tried to reinvent the opera by producing a unique production. The production you saw at Opera Philadelphia is a prime example of this. Co-directors Barry Kosky and Suzanne Andrade as well as animator Paul Barritt worked to tell the story of The Magic Flute in a very new way. However, who's to say this is the best way they could have told this story? Did the animation really help the story? Did it make the opera more interesting? It's your turn to be the judge. Below are links to 3 performances of the Queen of the Night's famous aria, "Der Hölle rache". Each production below is very different. Watch each video and develop an opinion of which production/performance you like the best. What are the factors that go into your decision making? Finally, if you were to direct this opera, how would you want to see this aria performered? Be creative!
1) bit.ly/queenpudova
@ Komische Opera Belin (performed at Liceu Opera Barcelona)
Queen of the Night: Olga Pudova, soprano (bit.ly/solpudova)
Director: Barry Kosky and Suzanne Andrade
Animation: Paul Barritt
Year: 2013
2) bit.ly/queendamrau
@ Royal Opera House
Queen of the Night: Diana Damrau, soprano (bit.ly/2soldamrau)
Director: David McVicar
Year: 2003
3) bit.ly/queenlewek
@ Festival International d'Art Lyrique d'Aix en-Provence
Queen of the Night: Kathryn Lewek, soprano (bit.ly/sollewek)
Director: Simon McBurney
Year: 2014
OPTION 2) WRITE A REVIEW: Having had the opportunity to see The Magic Flute at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.40 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.
With both options we ask that you include your:
NAME:
SCHOOL:
GRADE:
You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.
Steven Humes
Opera Philadelphia
Education Manager

Comments
I felt like the performance told the story. I liked how the conflict was solved. That's what I liked the most. I liked the costumes. The clothes told me about the characters. They engaged in the plot with their performance.
I liked the music. It was high pitched and described the characters point of view and the action in the plot. The emotions were expressed through the music.
I liked how the background was different for every scene that matched with the character. It matched their personalities.
I would tell my family to see this show. The voices were good at making the scene.
It was a dramatic story. I felt engaged in the plot.
The music carried the characters forward. They were singing loud with no microphones. The orchestra was pretty good. I liked the bird man, Papageno, He was the best. He was pretty funny.
The scenery was well crafted and I liked that it changed pretty fast. Like the explosion part was pretty cool. the characters changed costumes quickly.
It looked like it was from a long time ago, before wonderful technology, but not medieval times. In between that. I could pay attention, but I had a hard time relating to that time.
I would tell people to see it. It was good.
It told the story well. I liked the characters. I think it was cool how they sung so loud without microphones. I think that's cool. The story was good. It was kind of hard to follow because you couldn't really understand what they were saying. Overall it was good.
I liked the music a lot. I like how it went with the story and explained what was happening in the story.
The staging was cool how they could leave the stage through the little doors. The walls would turn.
I guess some people can relate to it because it happens all the time. Her mother didn't want her to marry that guy. Some people might not relate to it because it happened a long time ago.
I would definitely recommend it. It was really cool. They would like it.
One of my favorite parts was that they told the part dramatically. It was interesing
I'm impressed with how loud they were without microphones.
I love the costumes. They bad guy with the black coat and minions was cool. They had white face paint.
I noticed that there were lots of different settings from fields to elevators with dinosaur bones.
I would recommend it. Especially people who like listening to opera and seeing old buildings.
The performance the story dramatically through the costumes and the set.
The setting was different. I was engaged. The way they expressed their feelings was unique.
The music worked for the characters because it gave the perspective for that part of the play.
The sets and costumes undermined the plot. I felt like it was harder to understand the story.
I don't really know when it took place. I didn't really relate to it. It was made a long time ago.
I think it is the same old setting as the conductor wanted. It wouldn't have been in 2017.
The story was interesting. I think it was dramatic. They showed their expressions when they were signing and talking.
The voices were high pitch and they didn't use microphones. I didn't really like the music. I just wanted to watch the show.
I think the animation was actually really good. I like the pictures and the spider thing.
I don't think the setting was good. I don't know when it was.
It was creepy.
I thought the story was interesting. It pulled me in. The music was soft and when they sung it was on point.
The setting was very interesting because they were perfect with it. They didn't miss anything.
It was like a different world that was older. It was black and white and I love that.
I would tell people and all my friends that you should go see The Magic Flute because it's really awesome.
It's a mind-blowing performance!
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
I enjoyed the opera a lot. The mixed media approach was amazing, using the screen as the backdrop. I also enjoyed the humor in the show. The Queen of the Night solo was amazing too.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
I really enjoyed this opera, and the projections definitely put an interesting spin on the story. I liked the comedy that brightened up otherwise serious or sad moments. My favorite song was definitely the Queen of the Night aria, the high notes were amazing!
School : Lawrence Middle School
Grade : 8
I enjoyed this Opera very much. The music and the backdrop together kept the audience ready for the next part. The Queen of the Night Aria was incredible and the effects to go with it were very nice. The humour also kept the audience attentive and laughing.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
I really enjoyed this opera, and the projections definitely put an interesting spin on the story. I appreciated the humor that brightened up otherwise serious or bleak moments. My favorite song was the Queen of the Night aria, the high notes were amazing!
School : Lawrence Middle School
Grade : 8
I very much enjoyed this opera. The music and the backdrop kept the audience ready for the next part. The Queen of the Night Aria was incredible and the background to go with it was very nicely put together. The humor also included kept the audience attentive and laughing.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
The opera was really enjoyable. The opera singers were amazing and they had a lot of stage presence. The projections were also really cool.
I like the spider girl who sang in a high pitch and kept skipping over her own voice. It sounds like it would be hard to do. They don't use mics they just use their voice.
I like the part where Papageno and the other one kept talking to each other with the words on the screen. I thought Papageno was funny, like when he was trying to eat the chicken and he kept thinking he was going to get it and it kept going away from him.
The people looked old because they were wearing old fashioned fancy clothes like suits and dresses, not like today. I still relate to the story and the characters though.
My family and friends that didn't come should come see this.
I think that the story was told dramatically. Every time there was something new in the story they would match the setting and perform more. They added more understanding to the story by the way they acted it. The new characters gave new meaning to the story.
The music helped the story because the words at the top of the screen and the singing of the words made the experience. It was in a different language but it was cool that you could understand the words.
I was able to get more out of the story from the backgrounds and the costumes. Like when the bomb blew up and then his clothes looked like he was exploded. If they didn't do that it would seem like nothing really happened.
I could tell it was from a long time ago because the background looked old. Like when they were in the castle and stone wall helped to see that it was from a long time ago. I still felt like I could relate to the story because of the way they sang and the look of it.
I think people should go see it because it's enjoyable and a pretty nice experience.
I think that the story was emotional and the characters had to get through this journey. The two boys had to save a girl and had to go through all these trials because people were trying to stop them but at the end they all got together the way they wanted.
The boys went from a deep deep voice and the girls went really high. And they didn't have to use a microphone.
I think they did a good job with the trap doors and how it was laid out with all the projections and stuff that was added to the screen.
I can relate to the story. It's not too old that I can't understand it. Even though it seems like it's old.
I really like the performance. It was better than my expectations. The singing was creative. I think people should see it.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
The opera was very entertaining. The backdrop helped create a smooth transition between scenes. The animations helped to keep the audience's attention and added humor at times as well. The Queen of the Night was definitely my favorite character because the high notes in her solo was amazing.
Folk Arts Culture Treasure Charter School
7th Grade
The way the opera was performed told the story dramatically and I was engaged to the plot but at one point I got pretty confused what was happening but overall it was really interesting. The costumes for the characters made me think of what they are like and the way they sang, I knew what the characters were feeling, so it made characters express more. I think the music has a very big part in the opera, it enhances the moment in the plot of what's happening and it makes you more engaged. I would recommend the performance to other people because I think it would be a good experience for them to witness how well this opera has been performed.
Firstly, the animations were hilarious and took a lot of ease off a lot of the situations involving traumatic or dramatic events. For example, in the beginning of the opera when Tamino was running from the dragon. The situation would be seen as terrifying and horrifying in a more realistic fashion, but with the animations they made it comical.
Secondly, the characters actors/actresses were chosen perfectly. Each person had a basic but yet challenging role to partake in and they did wonderful, spectacular, and just utterly fantastic jobs with their vocals, acting, timing, and emotion with the characters. Like when The Queen of the Night first appeared to Tamino to save her daughter, the song she sang was so graceful and it was different considering the fact her character was cruel brutal. Yet her overall performance was amazing and the song made her seem pleasant until more was told in the performance.
Thirdly, a lot of the characters had certain personalities to obtain to and I definitely know what its like having to jump out of your own skin to fill in for another persons role. It takes guts and skill to nail a role both easy and difficult whether male or female, gay or straight roles, black or white all roles can be pertained as demanding and back-breaking.
Finally, this opera overall was put together properly and diligently which made this story the most interesting and involved a lot of supernatural dimensions in it, and in the most simplistic way made something laborious into a beautiful canvas of art. Therefore, an amazing show and performance to visit and watch for yourself. Truly brilliant and well put together.
I loved the projection and timing aspect of it. It keeped me watching, waiting for what was going to happen next. I recommend it for all people of all ages. It greatly surpassed my expectations. I would love to go back and experience another wonderful production. I hope that all who watch this amazing preformance find wonder and joy,as I have with this oprea.
Classical Conversations West Chester Homeschool
6th grade
Of all the presentations of the Queen of the Night's famous aria, "Der Hölle rache", I enjoyed the one performed in the recent production of Opera Philadelphia (the first option on the blog). The animation was captivating and I believe it helped to shape the characters and setting more easily and creatively. Listening to this aria "live" was amazing; the image of her singing will be hard to forget - it was so well done although a little scary! I'll never look at a spider again in the same way!
Thomas Holme Elementary
6th grade
I liked the story. It was good. I think the story was interesting to watch. I think the music helped to show the story and made the people seem alive. I thought the costumes were cool. They went with the scenery. I liked how the singers sounded high pitch and loud. I would tell my family to see it.
Thomas holme
6th grade
i liked the story.It was good.I think the story was intertaining. The costumes were pretty and were cool. I like the way that they projected the scenes and I like the way that they put in the movements. the singing was pretty loud and the music was telling us about the scene. I would tell people to see this opera.
Thomas holme Elementary
6th grade
I like the story becuase it was emotional and also even though the story was emotional I lke it. I think more peopel should go and watch the story. I watched in on my tablet but it wasn't as good as this. they make it better on the stage. The costuems were awesome. When papagena came on stage she was shining! It lighted her up. I like tamino. The music was good because they made it intense. I liked how the orchestra was like hidden it was like magic. I was going to make other people watch it because it was awesome.
Thomas Holme
6th grade
I like the story, it was interesting and a little confuse, i think the characters were funny because hey make the people laugh.
The background was good and sometimes it was confusing. The music was loud and they didn't use microphones. I think people should see this.
Thomas Holme Elementary.
6th grade
It was a cool story. It was cool that even though you didn't understand the language you could read the words on the screen. The music was happy and sad. It was interesting how the actors made her voice go so high and low. Costumes were cool because they were like 1920's and they kind of had a resemblance to now. I think people should see this show. I told my mom she needs to go.
Thomas Holme Elementary
6th grade.
The story was interesting. Pamina was kidnapped by Sarastro and then Tamino tried to rescue her. They fell in love. The costumes were interesting and they helped me understand the characters. The scenery helped to reflect what was happening in the story. The singers showed emotion in their sound and it helped me know how they were feeling. I would tell my family to see this because it's really enjoyable.
thomas Holme elementary
6th grade
The queen's daughter was captured by Sarastro. the two guys Tamino and Papageno tried to save her but they were challenged by trials. the music was good but confusing. the language was a little confusing because it was different. I liked when Pamina's first costume that was black and white. My mom said she wants to see it now too.
Thomas Holme elementary
6th grade
It was tamino and he was chased by a dragon. The three ladies saved him. then he fainted and they left. Papageno showed up when he woke up. Papageno pretended to kill the dragon and the three ladies punished him for lying. Then they showed Tamino that Pamina was held by Sarastro. He goes to save her because he loves her. The ending was after Tamino saves Pamina, and gets married to Pamina. The costumes were well crafted. They must have been easy to get on because they changed really quick. The projections were really cool because it looked so real. When Papageno was singing about Papagena, it was cool how the scenery interacted with the actors during the song and he knew where to come out and stand. The singing was really good. It amazed me how they weren't using microphones. The music was really good and so was the conductor.
I would tell my family and some of my friends to go see this because it wasn't boring. It was interesting.
Thomas Holme elementary
6th grade.
So the story was about the guy Sarastro stole the girl Pamina from the witch. Now the witch sends somebody to get her back. But when he got there he had to go through tests to get her. Eventually we found out that the henchmen were punished because they weren't supposed to be bad to Pamina. At the end the prince saved her and the bird man, Papageno got the girl that he liked too. I think the setting went well with the story. If the scenery was back there I don't think we would have understood the German. The costumes that went with the setting helped us understand the characters, if they were bad or good. The music and singing, I really enjoyed it. It was dramatic. I like how the voice went higher and lower at different times. I would tell my family and friends to go see it.
thomas Holme Elementary
6th grade
The opera was about Tamino and the other guy and they were fighting over this girl. there were three butterfly things and the spider lady. throughout the story tamino and the other guy kept coming out and looking at each other and singing really loud. Sometimes they showed their love with their singing. They couldn't talk in one trial. She thought that they didn't like her so she got sad. But then they were able to save her. Costumes were big for the girls and with big jackets. The guys had suits. The doors in the screen kept opening and closing and it was black and white. it was cool how the doors kept turing around and they could stand there. The singing was loud without microphones and high pitched. My friends should go see this.
Thomas HOlme Elementary 6th grade
It's a fairy tale about Tamino, Pamina, Papageno, Papagena, Sarastro, and the Queen of the Night. I would give it 5 stars. The story was like a new beginning for them. It felt like I was there. Like I was a part of the story. The story and the meaning of the story was in the music and the singing. I think the costumes and the projections were really good. Especially Papageno and Tamino. I would most likely tell my sister, my grandmother, and my dad to see this opera.
thomas Holem elementary
6th grade
I think the story was cool because it was really dramatic and the voices were really high because its an opera. The costumes matched the scenery. I think they helped to tell the story a little bit. the voices were matching the action in the story and the character's costume. I would tell my family to see this because I think they will learn what opera is like, and that it's like a story.
Thomas Holme Elementary 6th grade
It was kind of out of nowhere. It was fun. It can tell you what's going on by them speaking onto the screen. Everytime they sing, they have the words above them. It was a little bit scary because they guys costume was dark and the queen had spider legs. She kept trapping people in a web, and she told her daughter to kill the guy and she didn't want to. The costumes explain the the action in each scene. Like Papageno's song about the woman. the spider lady had a spider face. Considering he was a prince he had a dressed up tuxedo for saving the princess. Probably someone like Beethoven or Mozart would have seen this show.
Thomas Holme Elementary
6th grade
I thought that the opera story was very descriptive and it showed you events that happened in the world. The singing was very loud and their voices were deep too. The music was like a silent film and they talked with music. they made costumes look like they were from the old days. And the scenery was descriptive of the place that it was happening. I would tell my family and friends to go see it.
CharterTech Performing Arts
10th grade
For starters I just wanna say that I am thankful that I had a chance to go see “The Magic Flute” by Mozart. I enjoyed the entire show not including the minor mishaps but overall it was an eyeful. My compliments to the composer Mozart. His style of musicianship is soft, as to another. My favorite characters from greatest to least would be Queen Of The Night, Tamino, Pamina, Papageno, Monostatos, the Three Ladies, and Sarastro. Queen Of The Night’s voice was astounding referring to as pitches, riffs, all of that. She gave me chills the way she sang up to an F5. Tamino and Pamina’s performance was beautiful. They both make a dynamic duo when they are on stage together it's like magic. Papageno was quite a character. He was so hilarious, and his facial expressions were priceless.
Monostatos on the other hand was a bit creepy looking. The way he crept into the bed ready to touch her made him even more creepier. Although his make-up and his costume was spot on. The three ladies really started the show off perfectly. The way all three voice went well together. Sarastro’s voice was really noticeable. His voice being as low as it was, it was amazing to witness it. Just having the privilege to go was amazing. With the breaktaking view, amazing voices, outstanding costumes, great composer it's was quite a show. Most of all I really enjoyed the fact that one of the cast members happens to be my vocals teacher Mrs.Green. The entire show had me at the edge of my seat. It had me at awe the way the entire show told a story but through a unique way. With the way the characters were connected to those doors, I’ve never seen that in any other opera I’ve been to. It made me really focused on music more. And it gave me a greater interest in it as well, knowing art can be told in a story, sung, or even played with instruments. In addition, the opera house was astounding, with eye popping architecture. Being there in person is life changing to all the priceless things you would see.
School: Charter Tech high school
Grade: 11
I thought it was a really good show. I loved the animation and spinning doors. It was a bit odd when stuff didn’t align properly. Monostatos was quite shuddersome, he was played really well, but the character himself was very eerie.
I loved Papageno and Papagena so much, they were amazing. When they met each other was adorable, one of my favourite parts. I felt so bad when Papageno thought he would never get his Papagena, though he probably could’ve gotten her sooner if he just resisted the urges he had.
Another thing I really liked was Papageno’s cat, ready to fight wolves three times it’s size just to protect Papageno, and how it would chase the birds away, even though they kept coming back.
Tamino and Pamina’s love seemed a bit weird though, it seems odd to meet someone, and want to marry them right away, not even an hour after meeting them. In fact, they wanted to marry before they even met. It seems like it would be more accurate for them to meet, hang out, and and then marry.
The music was fantastic, the Queen of the Night’s solos were the best, you could really feel her voice, if that makes sense.
This was my first time at an opera, and it was so much better than I imagined. My grandma has always told me that operas are boring and way too long, but I thought it was in fact the opposite! It was very interesting, easy to follow, and not at all too long.
It was overall a really good show, and I had a great time.
Chartertech for the performing arts
11th grade
Sept / 14 / 2017
The Magic Flute Review
I Loved the show !!! It was great . Personally my Favorite performer was Papageno. He can really sing & he had me entertained . The animations & screen felt so real , I was amazed . I liked this opera better than Turandot because it felt real and 3d the singing was better , even though that one was great too . All the singers were good , I just enjoyed myself . The younger me wouldn't have enjoyed Opera at all , but as I got older I learned to love it & enjoy it . I would definitely want to come back & see another opera like this one . I also liked the chorus , they sounded so good . It's crazy how they can sing so good like that , I couldn't believe it . Although the seats was hurting my long legs , they were still comfortable .
I wish we could have seen Queen of the Night on the turning doors , instead of just on the screen with the skeleton / spider legs . Papageno’s cat was hilarious , the whole animation throughout the whole show was great . The venue was so beautiful the whole scenery , from the velvet seats with some trimmed in gold to the big chandelier , that was one of the best features . The ushers were very polite and welcoming , everything felt so fancy & nice . I am proud of Mrs.Green & my fellow classmates for performing in the Opera & T-Voce choir performance . This would be my second time attending an Opera & it gets better & better each time . The ride there & back was very nice . I always loved Philly , and this opera house is in the perfect place.
Charter Tech High School for the Performing Arts
Grade: 11
The Magic Flute Review
Overall, my experience seeing The Magic Flute was very entertaining and engaging. Throughout the opera, there were scenes that were very diverse.. While some scenes were light and meant for humor, other scenes were very serious, heavy, and required a large amount of energy. When I walked into the Academy of Music’s theatre, my eyes instantly popped out at the artwork that was featured. For example, there were angels all around the base of the ceiling, with a bright chandelier. On the sides of the theatre, as well as upstage, there were golden human statues. In addition, it was definitely a pleasure to be able to have decent seating. I could see everyone and everything from a clear angle.
As far as the production, it was very nice to see the animation. For the animation to be a new asset to the opera, it worked very well. For me, it was almost displayed as a three-dimensional effect. I felt as if I was in the moment. However, my most favorite part of the special effects were the revolving doors. I was impressed by how the actors were able to perform while still managing to be five feet in the air, and look out at the audience. On the other hand, I thought the music in the opera was very fitting with each scene. When some parts were intense and heavy, the music was very loud. When some parts were calming and relaxed, the music was very soft. The singers adapted very nicely to the music as well. I especially was amazed by The Queen of the Night’s performance, and stunned at how she was able to hit the high notes. As I was watching Pamina perform, I felt very soothed by her singing, as she executed her singing very smoothly and controlled.
The costume that I loved the most was Papageno's. The actress really stood out among the rest of the cast, as the costume was really gold and flashy.
The actors executed their roles very proficiently, as they put lots of effort and raw emotion. In some scenes, the actors made me laugh really hard, as well as the cat.
As a result, I had a lot of fun seeing The Magic Flute. In the end, I really loved how Pamina and Tamino ended up together, and Papageno lived happily ever after with his wife and children. I would definitely recommend friends and family to see this performance, because it gives a good laugh. It also has inspired me to want to write about other arts performances and productions. Thank you for allowing me to witness a phenomenal show.
Chartertech High School for the Performing Arts
Grade: 12
After viewing The Magic Flute last night, I’ve grew a better appreciation of Opera. I think that the performances were interesting. Especially adding animation to it, it got my attention. Usually, Opera to me is boring, makes me tired and just flat out not interesting to me. But after watching The Magic Flute, my opinion has changed. If more Opera’s added something to keep people interesting and continue to add new things to it, it will keep people more interested and get more audiences. It also helps people understand the story now. Before reading the acts I couldn’t really follow the storyline, but watching the animation I understood what was going on. The comical parts to me was when Papageno was running, trying to eat the cooked chicken and ran away from being locked up but was caught. Also, when The Queen of the Night was tricking Tamino in leaving but shocking him, and When Monostatos was trying to creep on Pamina in her sleep.
My opinion on the music and voices, the most beautiful voice there was was the Queen of the Night. It was so high and her tone was smooth , it was just wonderful. Her voice is an inspiration to me. She is a soprano and so am I, I want to be able to what she does when I strengthen my voice and tone it better. The music was very beautiful, I loved it and how well it was orchestrated. The staging during the show was very cool and interested. The costumes were unique, especially, Queen of the night , Pamina, Papageno, and Papagena. The animation and how the door opened and closed was cool too. I would recommend the performance to my friends and family because of how well the music and voice were and because it was comical.
Charter Tech High School
Sophmore Year / Tenth Grade
The opera, 'The Magic Flute' was such a beautiful blend of both vocal music,acting and animation. First and foremost, the animation added just a wonderful addiction to an opera. Secondly, The acting added a new pop and really showed the story without even knowing what the singers were saying. Lastly, The vocals were absolutely splendid and sung extremely well. The opera all in all was just gorgeous.
Firstly, the animation was beautiful. It added just enough to make the opera enjoyable for both older and younger audience members. It also helped to show people who didn't read the subtitles, the whole story and message. It also showed people that parts of operas can be explained even without singing. The animation was wonderful.
Next, the acting of the opera singers were splendid. They were extremely expressive especially Papageno. Papageno really added all the comedy and was very good at acting joyful and hilarious. In the parts when there was no speech, you could really tell how they were speaking with expressions and actions. The acting was superb.
Finally, the vocals of all the opera singers were truly spectacular. My favorite of the whole opera is the song sang by the evil queen with all the high notes. It was very well done and she hit those notes with ease and elegance. It made me want to be about to hit those high notes one day. The vocals were truly wonderful.
In a nutshell, the opera was wonderful. First and foremost, the animation added just a wonderful addiction to an opera. Secondly, The acting added a new pop and really showed the story without even knowing what the singers were saying. Lastly, The vocals were absolutely splendid and sung extremely well. The opera all in all was just gorgeous.
Charter Tech High School
Sophmore Year / Tenth Grade
The opera, 'The Magic Flute' was such a beautiful blend of both vocal music,acting and animation. First and foremost, the animation added just a wonderful addiction to an opera. Secondly, The acting added a new pop and really showed the story without even knowing what the singers were saying. Lastly, The vocals were absolutely splendid and sung extremely well. The opera all in all was just gorgeous.
Firstly, the animation was beautiful. It added just enough to make the opera enjoyable for both older and younger audience members. It also helped to show people who didn't read the subtitles, the whole story and message. It also showed people that parts of operas can be explained even without singing. The animation was wonderful.
Next, the acting of the opera singers were splendid. They were extremely expressive especially Papageno. Papageno really added all the comedy and was very good at acting joyful and hilarious. In the parts when there was no speech, you could really tell how they were speaking with expressions and actions. The acting was superb.
Finally, the vocals of all the opera singers were truly spectacular. My favorite of the whole opera is the song sang by the evil queen with all the high notes. It was very well done and she hit those notes with ease and elegance. It made me want to be about to hit those high notes one day. The vocals were truly wonderful.
In a nutshell, the opera was wonderful. First and foremost, the animation added just a wonderful addiction to an opera. Secondly, The acting added a new pop and really showed the story without even knowing what the singers were saying. Lastly, The vocals were absolutely splendid and sung extremely well. The opera all in all was just gorgeous.
Charter Tech High School for the Performing Arts
Grade: 11
After watching The Magic Flute I have noticed that there is more to opera than just being able to sing loud and be heard, but it's about being able to put your emotions into your singing, and making your audience part of your role. When you are singing on a stage they showed us that it's more to just pull the audience into what you are doing but also pulling yourself into it also. Like with your energy.
The experience was amazing I love how they put the screen into what they were doing like movements, and actions. The show was very well put together. The performers did such a stunning job on keeping me on the edge of my seat during the show.
My favorite part was when The Evil Queen did her solo of "The Queen of the Night Aria". Her performance was just breathtaking.
Charter Tech High school
Grade 10
9/13/17
Attending the Magic Flute Opera was one of my best decisions ever. The actors that played the characters were so strong, their capability to express the emotion that the characters were giving off so clearly without using their words was incredibly. But the way that the show in general was presented with the moving wall really had my eyes moving about while giving the audience that sense of amazement. The animations we'rent too detailed which in my opinion really complimented the show because it didn't draw your eye away from the actors singing and the actual plot. The singing was impeccable also, the actors voices were strong and confident which really strung my heart with the harmonic orchestra that followed after. The only thing that really made me a bit let down was the fact that Pamina didn't have as strong a voice as the Queen of the Night or The trio. But aside from that i loved it, would definitely attend another opera from this production again.
Charter~Tech High School for the Performing Arts
Grade 10
The Magic Flute was a fantastic opera. It was my first time seeing an opera and I was impressed with the production. The visuals was one of my favorite things about this opera, they were on point and projected on the right time. The stage setup was also a great idea because it portrayed all of the visual projections ten times better than just having a normal backdrop. Vocally, this opera had the best singing. i was very entertained by all of the acrobatic vocals that everyone was singing. I've heard some of the music from the Magic Flute through youtube, but hearing it live was better than listening to it online. For example, hearing the higher scales in “Queen of the Night” in person sounded amazing in person, it was one of my favorite vocal moments of the opera. I would ten out of ten, recommend this opera to anyone who would enjoy mind blowing visuals and amazing singing.
Charter~tech High school for Performing Arts
12
I thought the Magic Flute was amazing. It was my first opera trip was surprised that an Opera performance could like that visually entraining. My favorite part was the trio of child singers. However, I believe the animation overpowered the singer. It was very distraction from their performance.
Charter~tech High school for Performing Arts
12
I thought the Magic Flute was amazing. It was my first opera trip was surprised that an Opera performance could like that visually entraining. My favorite part was the trio of child singers. However, I believe the animation overpowered the singer. It was very distraction from their performance.
Charter~tech High school for Performing Arts
12
I thought the Magic Flute was amazing. It was my first opera trip was surprised that an Opera performance could like that visually entraining. My favorite part was the trio of child singers. However, I believe the animation overpowered the singer. It was very distraction from their performance.
Charter~Tech for the Performing Arts
Grade 11
After viewing The Magic Flute, I was amazed because I've never seen an opera with effects they used; revolving doors and projections. I think that the performances were very interesting. Especially adding the projections. Some of the best parts was when Papageno was running, trying to eat the cooked chicken and when he ran away from being arrested but was captured. Also, when The Queen of the Night was shocking Tamino.
The most beautiful voice, in my opinion, was was the Queen of the Night. Her head voice was flawless and her tone was very smooth , it was just wonderful. The orchestra was very beautiful and well played. I would definitely tell my friends and family to watch the opera.
Lawrence Middle School
Grade 7
The animation was the best you could see in a lifetime.It wasn't a serious opera at all.It was,In fact,almost like watching the movie with the added benefit of a life orchestra.The opera's would work much better than other opera's to attract kids under the age of 16 and really young ones too,like under the age of 5.This opera is truly for the whole family.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
I thought the most enjoyable and creative part of the opera was the background. I also liked the characters and the songs. Overall, the opera was really good.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
I thought the most enjoyable and creative part of the opera was the projection. I also liked the character's roles and the interesting songs. Overall, the opera was really good in all aspects.
Arcadia University
Junior
I thought it was a very interesting approach with using the projector and animations instead of real voice. Some people might not have liked it, so it was definitely a risky decision. I personally thought it did work; however, would have liked it more if it was real. Overall, the opera was very fun and interesting and utilized the equipment and props well.
SCHOOL: Arcadia University
GRADE: Freshman
This production of The Magic Flute was, overall, enjoyable. The music, of course, having endured for so many years, is good, even though I am not particular to classical or opera music. The dialogue and animation was of a high quality as well, but it is in this field where I have mixed feelings. While the animation allowed for the backgrounds to be dynamic, it also limited the actors to, mainly, a two-dimensional space. In many places, this was interesting, and in others, it was disorienting and stiff. If I were to make a suggestion, it would be to allow for both classic conventions of staging and this unique style of animation to make compromises, and have the two of them meet in the middle. For example, the animation is eye-catching in the context of Tamino's flight from the serpent, and the Queen of the Night's body, but it seems limiting or extraneous in scenes where characters are simply having dialogue, such as that between Sarastro and Tamino or Pamina.
Arcadia University
In an attempt to reach a younger new audience, I would expect an opera house to put on a production that involves flashy, gimmicky animations. I assumed the show would be an attempt to replicate styles similar to Disney or Pixar. After seeing the show, I realized I was wrong to assume this. The style of the animation did not feel stolen. It felt original in a way that was a nice surprise. I also believe the way the performers were incorporated into the show. Having the turning doors for the performers to come out was another cool original thing to see.
Not only that, but the skill of the singers is expected to be a of a high caliber, and I was not disappointed.
Overall, I'd say this show was a great one to watch. I would recommend this to a friend, as it was a great interpretation of a classic script. Good job
Sebastiano
Harris School
Grade 12
The music was delightful and the staging was perfect. The Queen of the Night’s aria really stood out to me because she could make her voice very high and it sounded amazing. The animation was unforgettable. It was always placed in the right spot where the performers were. It made the performers look like they were doing things that were actually animated.
I would recommend this piece to my family and friends. It is a family-friendly story that keeps your attention from beginning to end.
Finn
Grade 3
Harris School
I really enjoyed the arias by Papageno and the Queen of the Night. They were moving and powerful and I really liked the animation during them. The Queen of the Night was able to make her voice go really high. It was remarkable. The animation was incredible. It helped move the plot forward. I liked the part in the beginning, for example, when Tamino was getting chased by the serpent and the fairies save him, but Papageno try to take the credit. Papageno ended up with a padlock over his mouth.
I would recommend this opera to others because it was different and the music was fantabulous. I do not think any other opera has animation in it.
Bryant
Grade 5
Harris School
The music was bedazzling! It carried out the actions of the characters especially the Queen of the Night’s aria. It showed how angry she was. You could really feel the characters’ emotions from the music.
The costumes and set was spectacular. The animation really made the story even more enjoyable. Without animation, the set would not have looked as detailed. Therefore, it enhanced the plot, a lot. The setting of the story was the same, but the animation really updated this piece.
I would highly recommend this opera to both children and adults, alike. It was world class story. The characters were all enjoyable and likable.
Bianca
Grade 6
Harris School
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
The opera was very fun and vibrant compared to other operas. The story line had more comedy in it, which made it better for kids who have trouble watching a performance for so long. The projections were extremely colorful and eye-catching, and the singers' voices were beautiful and clear.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
The opera was really good and way more colorful compared to other operas. The characters did a really good job with singing. The backgrounds were really pretty and colorful. One of the things that impressed me the most was the doors on the wall that turned. It was really cool and it contained more comedy acts. The way the actors followed or acted like they were really at the place what background showed (Running away from the dragons etc.) by staying in one place was really cool and impressive. Everybody did a really great job and I recommend others to see this opera too.
Arcadia University
Junior
I really enjoyed this rendition of The Magic Flute! The animated set was definitely very unique, and while I wasn't sure how I felt about it in the beginning, by the end, I was enraptured by the images. They definitely contributed to the atmosphere of the story, and I don't think a traditional set could have evoked the same feelings. With an open-ended set, there comes a lot of freedom when it comes to what visuals will ultimately be created, and I think the end result was a perfect balance between this freedom and a grounding focus that tied the entire production together. The 1920s silent film theme was effectively delivered, as were the opera's several themes, including good vs evil, reason, and morality.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade:8
I enjoyed the opera. The opera singers voices sounded amazing. The arias were on point. The opera was very funny and the animations very great. I didn't forget about the orchestra in the pit. The music was lovely. All of this combined created an amazing opera.
School: Wilmington Friends School
Grade: 12
I really enjoyed this production of the Magic Flute because the animation did a great job of keeping the audience engaged throughout the performance. I thought the director of the opera did a great job of omitting the spoken dialogue and presenting the dialogue in English as part of the animation. As a result of this omission of spoken dialogue, I felt that it was a lot easier to follow the story.
While I was a big fan of the animation, there were times when it became a little bit too distracting. Going into the Opera, I was very excited to hear the Queen of the Night Aria, but when it finally came time for the song, I was having a tough time focusing on the music because the animation in the background was very distracting.
Overall, I thought the singer's sounded great. They had clear diction, and they were all able to project their voices to reach the upper levels of the Philadelphia Academy of Music.
I would definitely recommend this opera to a family member or friend!
Name: Miranda
School: Wilmington Friends School.
Grade: 11
Name: Miranda
School: Wilmington Friends School.
Grade: 11
School: Arcadia University
Grade: Junior
It was amazing that a piece written centuries ago was able to be told over and over again each feeling unique. However, this opera stood out even more from other operas of the same title due to the fact that it was animated. The projections were used in a way that I have never seen before. It became the background, dialogue, and in some instances the costume. The possibilities brought by animation was endless. Although I enjoyed the opera, I did have a problem with it. The translations to the lyrics were at the top, which weren't accessible from where I was sitting. And because it was at the top I missed out on a lot of the story because it was difficult to read the translation and watch the opera simultaneously. The opera overall was excellent, and it probably was the best performance I have seen and enjoyed.
School: Arcadia University
Grade: Senior
Being that this was my first opera, I had an open mind when I went to go see The Magic Flute last Wednesday. I was in awe of the beauty of the voices of the actors in the production; their technical skill was incredible. I did, however, have a lot of doubts about how the animation would play into a live opera. I was pleasantly surprised that I found myself loving the animation style. It kept the stage lively, even when no one was actually moving. I'm sure that that saved the actors a lot of extra breath as well, if they did not have to dance and sign at the same time. I heard other people complain about the lack of spoken dialogue, but I found that the displayed dialogue coupled with the stylized animation and costumes/makeup really gave the production a 1920s silent film feelings, which was absolutely beautiful. Overall, I say that the experimentation with the animation was worth it, and it has definitely left me interested in seeing more operas.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 8
I think that the opera was splendid because the animation was a never seen before and overall the animation was great. The performers were also good because they were always at the right place at the right time... goodness knows how long they have to practice to achieve such perfect timing. The music was also great because they perfectly matched the performers pace and the fact that they were playing for like a hour at a time non-stop, I think they should get a lot more credit form the audience because barely anyone noticed them when they are placed underneath the stage. The performers were also nervous, but the fact that they didn't really show it was amazing. This opera was just to splendid and amazing.
school:Lawrence Middle School
grade:8
The opera was wonderful and I loved it .The most interesting thing were the
comedy,music and the acting .The whole set was very nice and catchy .I have never seen an opera before so it was a very wonderful experience for me .
School:Lawrence Middle School
Grade:8
The opera was wonderful and I loved it .The most exciting thing was the animations and acting ,they were filled with comedy which made my night special .I have never seen a opera before so it was the best feeling .
School: Lawrence middle school
Grade: 7
The opera was great! I loved how the animation was used and the story. The story was interesting and funny. The actors were great, too. They had to sing everything in German, which must've been really hard.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade:7
The opera was overall great. It was interesting how they decided to use an old art form and combined it with a modern creation, technology. I didn't understand a word they said, but by the looks of the opera, I would've probably enjoyed it if I understood the songs. The opera singers/actors were outstanding, especially the queen of the night. I would recommend this to someone whose never seen an opera before. :)
Hashim
Harris School
Grade 4
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
The Magic Flute was a wonderful production. It was put together so well, everyone was great. I thought it was great that there were subtitle so that the audience could understand what was going on. I thought the actors/singers did an outstanding job! The Queen of the Night gave me chills when she sang! This was my first opera and now that I know that I like opera, it won't be my last.
School:FACTS Charter School
Grade:7
Out of all three of the videos, I like the original "Magic Flute" best out of the three videos. I like it the best because the animations make the story look more interesting. I don't really like the last video, because the characters look weird. If I was the director of "The Magic Flute", I would make the queen of the night more scarier. I would also make an king of the night.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
While watching the performance, I was absorbed in the plot and how each character behaved in the story. While the music and art itself was captivating, the plot was intriguing and the characters all had distinct personalities. I also felt that the plot was straightforward. I did enjoy the comedic storyline very much. Personally, I loved the production, but the immense amount of visuals, sounds, and lengthy scenes were so powerful that I would need to view it another time to observe all of the details.
I thought that the music and voices helped a lot with carrying the characters and actions forward. I feel that there is not much to improve with the music and voices, since for the most part, the music was carried out perfectly by the orchestra and singers.
One of my favorite factors of the opera was the staging. I loved the visuals and the animation, and how the projections interacted with the characters. It was very creative how it was set up. I think the opera has benefited from the staging; however, it can be a little overwhelming at times.
The change to the setting may have changed the staging drastically, but the same story remained. Although seeing the contrast between the settings may have been noticeable, I think that the story works just as well in this time and location.
In conclusion, I highly recommend the performance to my friends or family because this opera is very captivating and entertaining, unlike other operas I have viewed. Even though it is made to be comedic, it has a vast array of moods and genres. The visuals and music are some of the best parts of the opera, and I would definitely want to see it again.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
While watching the performance, I was absorbed in the plot and how each character behaved in the story. While the music and art itself was captivating, the plot was intriguing and the characters all had distinct personalities. I also felt that the plot was straightforward. I did enjoy the comedic storyline very much. Personally, I loved the production, but the immense amount of visuals, sounds, and lengthy scenes were so powerful that I would need to view it another time to observe all of the details.
I thought that the music and voices helped a lot with carrying the characters and actions forward. I feel that there is not much to improve with the music and voices, since for the most part, the music was carried out perfectly by the orchestra and singers.
One of my favorite factors of the opera was the staging. I loved the visuals and the animation, and how the projections interacted with the characters. It was very creative how it was set up. I think the opera has benefited from the staging; however, it can be a little overwhelming at times.
The change to the setting may have changed the staging drastically, but the same story remained. Although seeing the contrast between the settings may have been noticeable, I think that the story works just as well in this time and location.
In conclusion, I highly recommend the performance to my friends or family because this opera is very captivating and entertaining, unlike other operas I have viewed. Even though it is made to be comedic, it has a vast array of moods and genres. The visuals and music are some of the best parts of the opera, and I would definitely want to see it again.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
I thought the opera was really good. I loved the setting, but I wish there were some more props to complete the opera. I also loved the music and the characters, especially Papageno.
School: Facts Charter School
Grade: 8
The performance made the story, The Magic Flute, very dramatic and I was engaged in the whole production. The performers made the story more easier to understand with their beautiful singing and acting. However, in some parts the performers were slightly off, but it was still pretty good. I got a little confused at scenes because after one scene, it transitions to a whole different scene that doesn't quite relate to the previous part. I enjoyed the music added to the performance because it made the story more interesting. They also had perfect timings with the performance. The sets and coutumes were okay, but it could've been an little more dramatic. The animation was good, but also confusing because the story took place in the olden days, but it had robots and all sorts of technology, which doesn't seem to fit together. Overall, the opera was enjoyable!
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
The Magic Flute was a very good opera. I loved the characters, the music, and the background. The only thing about the opera I thought could have been improved was that there was little to no props.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
The Magic Flute was a very good opera. I loved the characters, the music, and the background. The only thing about the opera I thought could have been improved was that there was little to no props.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
The Magic Flute was a very well put together. I really liked how they put subtitles on top of the screen so everyone could understand what was being said. The actors were always in the place where they were suppose to be. The Queen of NIght was my favorite character she sung so good. This was my first opera and I thought that it was very good.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
The Magic Flute was a very well put together. I really liked how they put subtitles on top of the screen so everyone could understand what was being said. The actors were always in the place where they were suppose to be. The Queen of NIght was my favorite character she sung so good. This was my first opera and I thought that it was very good.
School: FACTS charter school
Grade: 8
The performance told the story dramatically and I was engaged in most parts of the plot. The characters were good at acting and making it dramatic but some characters were a bit off in timing. The music and voices were one of the big things that carried the characters and action forward. The sets, costumes and staging enhanced the plot because it made the story clearer and easier to understand. I would recommend the performance to my friends and family for the experience especially if they never watched one before.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
I enjoyed this Opera very much. The Queen of the Night Aria was amazing and the special effects were really good.
School: Lawrence Middle School
Grade: 8
The projections helped different scenes and acts have a mood. During the times of sadness the scenery was more dark, but during times of happiness the backgrounds were more happy. The singers were amazing and you could hear them clearly. The actors were able to portray different emotions throughout the show which helped the opera be more excellent than it already was.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 8th Grade
I think that the magic flute was an amazing opera. It had an amazing production and I loved how the opera was in a modern style! It was very interesting to see that as my first opera experience. I hope I can experience more operas after The Magic Flute. The Magic Flute made me open my eyes to see how wonderful operas can be! I never thought opera's would be so interesting. It's amazing to see the hard work of the actors in the opera. They show their hardwork in their performance. It takes a lot of work to be on time with the animation and yet they make it seem so easy! Thank you for letting us experience this opera! We hope to see more in the future.
School:Facts Charter School
Grade:7th Grade
I thought this version of "The Magic Flute" was really good. It had a funny and serious part of it. I felt like I was watching an actually film. I thought that the plot alone was very interesting and in addition to the cool animated background. I thought the actors did a very good job, but I thought Papageno (Jarrett Ott) did a very good job of staying in character. My favorite aria was the Queen of the Night's "Der Holle Rache." I thought it was amazing how she could make her voice go very high. Overall I thought this opera was very good and interesting.
School: FACTS charter school
Grade: 8
I thought that it was amazing how it combine opera style singing and modern technology to create outstanding effects and the movements of the actors matched the projected background and characters. The costumes and makeup seen just natural to the actors on stage. The sound effects were had a giant effect and contributed to the audience, in case they didn't understand the story. The overall performance was great, the idea of introducing the opera with the orchestra held everyone's attention. Thanks for the chance and unforgettable memories! I hope to see more in the future:-)
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 8th Grade
I thought the that the Magic Flute was a fantansic combination of opera the ancient and modern technology. Each actor seem to have a unique costume, personality, and skillls. With that it seemed easy for them to match their character roles. The projected background and scenery, with cartoon seem to spark intrest 7n teens, instead of just thinking that it's boring. The sound effects made the scences more dramatic, to hold the audiences's attention together and focus. The idea of letting the orchestra play first, it seem to hold the crowd's attention and let us follow along. It was a chanceo have unforgettable memories! I hope to see more fantastic operas in the future☺
School: Facts Charter school
Grade: 8th grade
I really liked the opera. This was the first time I have ever seen an opera. I thought that the projections were really cool and it was interesting how there were no props. I thought it was a really creative way to use modern technology and an old art form. It looked hard to match up the movements to the projections. The story line was really nice and even though they were speaking another language I could still understand what was happening (thanks to the sub-titles). I think more kids would really like this experience. Thank you for this awesome experience.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7
I really like the second production because I really like the character's makeup and the way they were dress. The music really matched how the story was. The way the characters dress really told me how the characters personalities was and I really like how the characters act in the video. If I were to direct this opera I would make the Queen of the Night even more scarier.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7
I really like the second production because I really like the character's makeup and the way they were dress. The music really matched how the story was. The way the characters dress really told me how the characters personalities was and I really like how the characters act in the video. If I were to direct this opera I would make the Queen of the Night even more scarier.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7
I really like the second production because I really like the character's makeup and the way they were dress. The music really matched how the story was. The way the characters dress really told me how the characters personalities was and I really like how the characters act in the video. If I were to direct this opera I would make the Queen of the Night even more scarier.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7
I really like the second production because I really like the character's makeup and the way they were dress. The music really matched how the story was. The way the characters dress really told me how the characters personalities was and I really like how the characters act in the video. If I were to direct this opera I would make the Queen of the Night even more scarier.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7
I really like the second production because I really like the character's makeup and the way they were dress. The music really matched how the story was. The way the characters dress really told me how the characters personalities was and I really like how the characters act in the video. If I were to direct this opera I would make the Queen of the Night even more scarier.
School:FACTS
Grade:7th Grade
After I watched the three videos, I liked the first one from Komishe Opera Berlin because they had very dramatic makeup. In all of the videos they all have very good acting. The only video that I didn't really like was the third video because the queen of the night don't really look mean with all the makeup on.
School:Facts Charter School
Grade:7th Grade
After I watched the three videos, I liked the first one from Komishe Opera Berlin because they had very dramatic makeup. In all of the videos they all have very good acting. The only video that I didn't really like was the third video because the queen of the night don't really look mean with all the makeup on.
School:FACTS charter school
Grade: 7th
The production that I like the best is the one directed by David McVicar. I his production because when I saw it, the scenes make the most sense to me. I read the plot of the Magic Flute but the scenes in the first and last production were not in the plot. I was so confused but when thought about it, I think the plot I read was only one of the many plots to the Magic Flute.
If I were to direct the opera, I would like to see the same as I saw in the production that I liked best. But also make the stage less darker because sometimes it is hard for me to tell what is going on. I regret that I didn't go see the opera when I had the chance.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 8
My first experience at the opera was amazing. I loved the projections in the background because it was so unique and spectacular to see. I liked how the opera singers sometimes interacted with the background projections since I felt like that really made people engage in the opera a bit more. The projections definitely go along well with different parts of the opera. But, I could easily see where the doors are for the opera singers to switch in and out. I would like it to be less noticeable by making the lights dark enough so that the doors won't be seen when the opera singers are switching for the next part of the opera. As for the subtitles, I thought that it was helpful to understand what the characters were saying and what was going on, but some of the subtitles didn't appear at all sometimes. Overall, thank you so much for making an amazing opera with a different kind of style to opera that interest others. I'm sure that everybody worked hard on the set, makeup, and costumes, practiced a lot on singing and the music to get ready for the show. I hope to see more amazing operas in the future. :)
School Facts charter school
Grade: 8th grade
I think the opera was amazing. My favorite part was when Pamina and Papageno sang together and when Pamina and Tamino kissed because it was so cute. And when the three boys came and help and save Pamina and Papageno killings themselves. I like how the animation and the opera goes with the story line. I like that they use modern technology with opera. I like how they have english subtitles for people don't understand the language like me it was really helpful. Every kid should have a experience to see the opera. Thank you for letting me have this amazing experience. I hope in the future that I can see more of the amazing opera.
School: Facts Charter School
Grade:7
Out of the 3 videos, I like the first video best. I like the animations, it was the most interesting out of the 3 videos. It kind of explain each of the character's roles and how they felt more. If I were to direct this opera, I would make the background even darker and the queen scarier.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7
I really like the second production because I really like the character's makeup and the way they were dress. The music really matched how the story was. The way the characters dress really told me how the characters personalities was and I really like how the characters act in the video. If I were to direct this opera I would make the Queen of the Night even more scarier.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7
I really like the second production because I really like the character's makeup and the way they were dress. The music really matched how the story was. The way the characters dress really told me how the characters personalities was and I really like how the characters act in the video. If I were to direct this opera I would make the Queen of the Night even more scarier.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 8th grade
Seeing The Magic Flute was my first time to ever go to an opera and it was a great experience. The plot was a bit ridiculous in my opinion, but I didn’t mind that much. I think that using the projector screen was a unique and modern way to create beautiful effects in this ancient art form. Sometimes, I forgot that actual people were playing the music and that really sparked my interest. I appreciated the subtitles instead of dialogue since it wasted less time and I understood the plot a lot better. The sound effects gained people’s attention so we would not get bored or uninterested. I really liked how engaged the audience was thanks to the actors and the production. Overall, watching this version of The Magic Flute was an enjoyable experience and I hope there are more to come.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 8th grade
Seeing The Magic Flute was my first time to ever go to an opera and it was a great experience. The plot was a bit ridiculous in my opinion, but I didn’t mind that much. I think that using the projector screen was a unique and modern way to create beautiful effects in this ancient art form. Sometimes, I forgot that actual people were playing the music and that really sparked my interest. I appreciated the subtitles instead of dialogue since it wasted less time and I understood the plot a lot better. The sound effects gained people’s attention so we would not get bored or uninterested. I really liked how engaged the audience was thanks to the actors and the production. Overall, watching this version of The Magic Flute was an enjoyable experience and I hope there are more to come.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 8th grade
Seeing The Magic Flute was my first time to ever go to an opera and it was a great experience. The plot was a bit ridiculous in my opinion, but I didn't mind that much. I think that using the projector screen was a unique and modern way to create beautiful effects in this ancient art form. Sometimes, I forgot that actual people were playing the music, so that really sparked my interest. I appreciated the subtitles instead of dialogue since it wasted less time and I understood the plot a lot better. The sound effects gained people's attention so we would not get bored or uninterested. I really liked how engaged the audience was thanks to the actors and the production. Overall, watching this version of The Magic Flute was an enjoyable experience and I hope there are more to come.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 8
I really enjoyed the opera. It was my first time seeing a live opera and it was an amazing experience. I was amazed on how the actors and actresses were very well timed with the animations being projected onto the screen. The costumes and make-up were fantastic and the singing was phenomenal. This opera was very different than the operas I'm used to seeing online or on TV. "The Magic Flute" uses modern technology to give the audience the best opera experience. The subtitles that were put above the screen really helped me to understand the story of this opera. Overall, this was a great first time experience and I'm glad we had the opportunity to go see this opera for no costs. Thank you!
School: FACTS Charter School (Folk Arts-Cultural Treasures Charter School)
Grade: 8th Grade
I really like "The Magic Flute". I really like everything there, the performance and actors. The music and musicians were great! It was a great opera even though I didn;t understand the language (but it had some of the English forms above the stage). Everything was just amazing! I'm surprised to see that the actors are amazingly into the background, it seems like! Thank you for letting us see the final dress rehearsal. I wonder if we have more chances to see amazing operas like this in the future (I hope we could)! I wonder if could, please thank everyone that had helped make this performance happen, a big and gigantic thank you! :) Thank you again for letting me (and the other schools and my school) for seeing this! I hope to see more awesome operas in the future! Thank you once again! :)
School: Facts Charter School
Grade: 8th
During the opera the characters really helped me engage with the plot because they were so diverse with different goals. I really enjoyed the music and voices as well because they help me focus and stay interested on what's happening. Last but not least the animations and timing with with it really impressed me. I like the modern aspect combined with the old act. Overall I really enjoyed my first opera experience and I would recommend it to my friends and family.
School: Facts Charter School
Grade: 8
I enjoy the opera very much. It was my first time going to a live opera and I wasn't sure what to expect. It was totally different from what I expected before I watched the trailers and went to see it live. I was surprised of how the animations make it look so real like it was actually happening. The animation was to me the most shocking part. I didn't once think there were actually animations in opera! It made my first time seeing one even more special .The part where the Queen of the Night aria was awesome!! I could't believe my ears when she sang. It was so memorable. I absolutely enjoyed it. Their voices were stunning! What I didn't like was how bright it was, it probably just me but it made it kind of not as enjoyable for me. Other then that, I think this was a dream of a lifetime experience. I never thought one day I would actually see something as amazing as this. Thank you for letting me have this unbelievable experience.
facts charter school
8th grade
I like the first link because the seen of the anamation of the seen with the queen of the night and Pamina.
School: FACTS charter school
Grade: 8th grade
In my opinion on the plot and the character, I think the story is ok in it drama. I was surprisingly engaged in the plot around the beginning and the end. My summary is there a classic love of a prince and a princess. The conflict is that they are some character are impatience and influences from the Queen of the Night.
I didn't really think some of the songs carry the character and action. Some of the songs did. Example of the song carry the story is when the 3 boys are singing while Papagino think about suicide. There isn't a lot of actual props, but the staging is good because it's simple. The costumes are simple/ok. To me it enhanced the plot by making it easier to understand.
My opinion for the setting is great. The time is just around the like a replacement normal homework time which is good for some entertainment then work. The setting look very neat so it's easy to go maneuver but the chair are tight. I would recommend this performance to my friends and family. Why? Because it's funny, and entertaining. Especially with the animation. Best of all. you could also make symbolism. Thanks for this once in some life time experience!
Malcolm
Harris School
Grade 12
Nathan
Harris School
Grade 6
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 8th grade
I liked this year's performance on "The Magic Flute". This was my first time seeing a live opera.I thought that the performance was cool and I liked the animations. The subtitles that were above the screen helped me understand what was happening and the music was dramatic. When The Queen of The Night sang her aria, it was breathtaking. The costumes were modern, but when used with the animations it was astounding. Though some parts was a little bit boring and it was long, the the rest was good. Watching the opera was an amazing experience for me and seeing it for no cost was even better! The actors and actresses were great on performing and it was enjoyable. Thanks for everything!
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7 sun
The first video was pretty creepy, the mom looks scary. The cartoon is good it just looks pretty scary. The second video was pretty good, I like the music to all of the videos. The third video was was good, I really like it when the mother stands up to give her daughter the knife to kill Sarastro.
Some advice I would give is that make the first one the room darker and also have other creepy stuff in the room. The second video, the people around the queen of the night with her daughter should be dancing when she is singing. The third video show have more action to make it more amazing.
Thank you :)
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7th grade
I liked this year's performance on "the Magic Flute". This was my first time seeing an opera, and it was great! I loved when all of the actors sang "Happy Birthday" to one of the actors. I was actually wondering how long it took for the performers to practice because all of the members had to of dedicated a lot of their time into this. I was thinking about the Queen of the Night aria the whole of the week, because it was so good. I was watching many of the queen of the night arias and saw how different all of the other actors sang compared to the one I saw. Some parts were boring like the trials that Tamino had to go through, and the beginning was also a little boring, but overall it was a very good production. I also loved how realistic the projector was like when the choir was singing and the projector hot the stage floor, it all just looked so real. Thanks for letting our school witness this amazing opera!
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7th grade
I have no taste in opera or anything but I think that the first opera was pretty good because of its idea of blending opera with animation, my thoughts for the 2nd opera are sort of mixed, don't really know how to describe it so i guess it's cool, but for the 3rd clip, it really unappealing to me (Mostly because of the stage I guess.)
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7th grade
I think the Magic Flute is not bad. The story is good because it's funny & romance isn't that bad, the funny part is when the Queen of the Night sand "Der Hölle Rache" because the pitch and tone. The characters are pretty nice looking, Papageno is a really silly character. The music is good but some may not like it but I think it's good.
School:Facts Charter School
Grade:7th
Out of the 3 videos, I liked David McVicar's version best because I think the way Diana Damrau acted very much so resembled The Queen Of The Night. Her hand gestures were bold and commanding, like how you would imagine the Queen. If I were to direct this opera, that is how I would present the aria. Perhaps better lighting, and more background would help.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7th grade
To be honest, I never enjoyed opera. I do enjoy the plot about "The Magic Flute" it's a amazing story but if you were to put it in a play I find it odd to put it in practice of all of the singing feels strange as I don't imagine people would do that. What I will respect about opera is how long someone can sing for that long and that high pitched it surprises me most of the time when it happens.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7 Moon
Out of the three videos that we were meant to watch, I personally liked the second one from the Royal Opera House the best. It gave a dark atmosphere with the others in the background. The open movement the Queen of the Night was able to do made everything more intense, especially with the hair, costume and make-up. The singing and talking made it seem like a movie and more realistic which I generally enjoy. Thank you for the experience!
School:FACTS Charter School
Grade:7th Grade
"The Magic Flute" was amazing, it was so lively. The actors take their role play lifelike, make the best play the best level of character. The theater also help prepared the subtitles,
let me fully understand the content of the opera. Thank hard the performance of the actors, otherwise I won't see such a wonderful performance. Special thanks for the actor playing Queen of the Night, when she sang her part, she had her keep her voice high pitch the whole time, it is breathtaking. I really enjoy the show, it make me broaden my horizon, hope I may enjoy another amazing opera again in the theater again !
My favorite video was the 1 link,bit.ly/queenpudova.It's my favorite because I loved the animation and the way it connected to the opera singers.It was very unique and clever.It looked on point and,in my preference,was my favorite.
After watching the three videos,my favorite was the 1 one,bit.ly/queenpudova.It was my favorite because it was based on animations.The animations connected to the opera singers really well.It was clever and unique.
School: FACTS Charter School
Grade:7th grade
"The Magic Flute" was 100% a once in a lifetime experience and I don't regret seeing it.the story was really interesting and I was also surprised on how the theater prepared with subtitles so i can understand the opera.It was also my first time seeing a opera so I was really excited . I would 100% want to see another one
School: FACTS
Grade: 7
To my opinion, i think the queen of the night should of had more time on stage because she was a really good singer and can really hit that high note. Besides that, the opera was REALLY amazing and i would 100% would want to see another one like that, my favorite parts were when Papageno pretended he killed the dragon, and when the queen of the night sang
School:FACTS Charter School
Grade: 7th
The magic flute opera was pretty cool in my opinion the plot characters and the actions were really interesting. It was a once in a life time experience so it was pretty cool seeing something you would not really daily or often. I think the queen Of night should have more screen time because she had a really awesome voice. Also the animations in the background really help me understand what was going on and was unique. The opera was good and i would recommend it. i would like to see another one. >_< :)
School:Facts
grade:7
THE OPERA WA GOOD AND I WOULD RECOMMEND IT, BUT THE ONE THING I WOULD CHANGE IS TO GIVE QUEEN OF THE NIGHT SASTRO MORE SCREEN TIME BECAUSE I FELT LIKE THEY DIDN'T GET ENOUGH SCREEN TIME BUT ANYWAYS THE OPERA WAS FUN AND VERY ENJOYABLE.
FACTS
7M
I thought this opera trip was very unique. Why I thought it was unique is because they had really cool animation. I liked how there were captions so I could understand what they were singing about. I would rate this opera a 9/10 because I thoughts some parts looks too old. What you guys should change is to make it colorful so you wake up the person who is watching the opera and make it more entertaining. I have a wonderful experience watching the opera. Thanks for inviting FACTS to see the awsome opera
School: Facts Charter School
Grade: 8th
I like the opera. This was actually my first time seeing a live opera. I thought that the sets we cool. I never thought that they could use the modern technology and for something like this. When they sang I couldn't understand them until they put the subtitles on. It helped me to understand what were they singing. Also I could understand what was happening when they act out. When I saw the orchestra pit I was so amazed I have never see on an orchestra pit before. But this was fun seeing the opera. Thank you to the people who let us see the opera.
School: Facts Charter School
Grade: 8th
This was my first live opera. I thought that it was cool and amazing how they use modern technology to make the sets. The first thing that caught my attention was the orchestra pit. I was amazed that there where so many people in that orchestra pit. But I just think that if I had another chance to go I would go again. It was a great experience to see this. I really want to thank the people that make this happen.
I got to see The Magic Flute! It was an amazing and a wonderful experience. There are my favorites and what I think can be improved about the opera.
My favorite part of the opera was when the queen of the night was singing, because she did a magnificent job on singing "Der Hölle Rach. " The high notes surprised me because it was loud enough that I could hear it. The animation was creative and outstanding. I think Papageno was really funny and I enjoyed seeing him. All of the characters and the music was perfectionist. I would love to meet them in person and tell them how much I really got into the opera.
There are some things that could be improved . I think the English sub tittle could be a little bigger because I could not see what it was saying. I wished my school had a closer seat, but I was satisfied with the seats we were given.
The Magic Flute was my first time seeing the opera and I loved it! It really made me more into opera. Everything was beautiful. The characters was hardworking and I can see they put so much effort . The singing made me blessed because they sang loudly without a mic. I am thankful and honored to come to the opera. I would never forget this first moment.
FACTS CHARTER SCHOOL
7th grade Sun
I think the opera was pretty good for starters.the story was cool,had many great plots,actions and
music for the background. I also liked how humorous it is, especially Papageno and the cat. And they had fancy subtitles too.I'd give it a 10 out of 10 if there were stars (for rating)
School:Facts charter school
Grade:7th grade
I think the opera was pretty good for starters. The story was cool,had many great plots,actions and music for the background. I also liked how humorous it is, especially Papageno and the cat.And they had fancy subtitles too. I'd give it a 10 out of 10 if there were stars (for rating).
7th grade
Folk Art Culture Treasure School (FACTS)
I think the opera was pretty good for starters.The story was cool,had many great plots,actions and music for the background. I also liked how humorous it is especially Papageno and his cat. And they had fancy Sub titles too. I'd give it a 10 out of 10 if there were stars for rating.