JOIN OUR BLOG
Choose from one of the two options:
1) WRITE A REVIEW: The arts are all about developing an opinion. Having had the opportunity to see The Marriage of Figaro at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative. We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.
2) FROM 1786 - 2017: The Marriage of Figaro is an opera that first premiered in 1786. Do you feel that audiences in 2017 can still connect to the opera? Explain at least two reasons why the opera is accessible or not accessible today. Defend your response as well as you can.
With both options we ask that you include your:
NAME:
SCHOOL:
GRADE:
Good luck! You never know, if your blog entry is defended enough, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.
Steven Humes
Opera Philadelphia
Education Manager

Comments
Madison Cartlidge, Archbishop Wood High School, Grade 9
Name: Katie Robinson
School: Archbishop Wood High School
Grade: 9th grade
Archbishop Wood
Grade 9
The play was very interesting and I enjoyed every moment of the experience. The actors knew exactly what they were doing and put a lot of effort in making it happen. Cant wait to experience the same energy next year!
Archbishop Wood
10th
After attending the Marriage of Figaro I would definitely recommend the Marriage of Figaro. I thought the show was funny and engaging throughout the whole show. I especially enjoyed the twists in the plot and thought the setting was done creatively. I thought the Actors and Actresses sounded great and the setting, Costume, and staging were done amazingly!
Archbishop Wood High School
Grade 9
I saw the dress rehearsal of this opera, there were a few troubles but nothing less, the opera was dramatic and engaging. The main characters were detailed and had backstories that gave the opera depth. The main characters were Figaro, Susana, the Count, and the Countess. Figaro and Susana were to get married but the Count had a thing for Susana. He wanted to get in between her marriage with Figaro. His wife the Countess did not like that, so Susana and her made a plan to get the Count to love her again. The music made the plot go on and it helped you get a sense of the characters emotions. When the music was loud and fast you could tell the character was angry and when the characters were talking peacefully the music was soft and slow. The set was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. It turned and moved as the show progressed which was very interesting and inventive of the set designers. I would recommend this opera to anyone. It is both comedic and serious which makes it a wonderful experience. People normally don't find operas interesting, but it is a great experience and is well worth your time.
Maggie Mohan
Archbishop Wood High School
Grade 9
Archbishop Wood
Grade 11
This was the third opera I have seen with my school, and I really enjoyed it. I feel like the performance got better as the show went on(the second act was my favorite of the two) and the actors did a phenomenal job with their characters. In some parts of the show, especially in the beginning, it was harder to hear the singing, but I don't know if this was just me. The singers overall were very talented, in their singing and acting. As I said, I preferred the second act over the first because it had more action, but the part I reacted to most was when we found out that Marcellina was really Figaro's mother!! I feel like the staging and expressions helped that moment to be even more surprising than it could have been, which was nice. Of course I love happy endings, so I enjoyed the ending, because Figaro and Susanna did end up together even through all of the issues with the Count wanting Susanna. I was happy for Cherubino because he wasn't sent away after all, even though he should have been in a lot of trouble for all of the things he did throughout the show (it was funny to see him dressed as a girl). All in all, I enjoyed the show and I hope to come back for next year's opera with my school!!
Grade 11
Archbishop Wood High School
I really liked The Marriage of Figaro. I found it very enjoyable and particularly liked the ending. I thought that the acting and the costumes were very well done, and while I did not understand much of the singing because it was in Italian, I did think that all of the actors did a very good job singing. I loved all of the costumes and I truly felt like I was in the time period. The story kept me engaged, especially towards the end when Figaro, Susanna, and the Countess trick the Count. Overall I thought it was an awesome performance and I can't wait until next year!
Jessica Summers
Archbishop Wood High School
Grade 11
Jahaana
Laura w school
When I went to go and see "The Marriage Of Figaro" at the Philadelphia Metropolitan Opera House.It was ok. It looked better in the book. I loved the Character susana .She
is very powerful. There Outfits are outstanding. The music was nice and cool. It had a level of maturity that came with the show. the show was cool. there voice level is
good. Over all the show was great.
In my opinion the book was good. From what I read, the first couple pages had me hooked. The plot twist was amazing how Figiro didn’t know that Marcilina and Bartolo were his parents. I wish there were more plot twists because it was kinda boring in between act 3 and act 4. It also got really confusing really quickly. I wish they had more pictures of them in the book. The characters all had different personalities. My favorite character was Susanna. I love how she and the countess tried to switch each other identities. My least favorite was the count because he is a stinking, lying, cheater.
Laura w school
I enjoyed the Marriage of Figaro. The Countess’s clothes were really pretty. I also loved the designs on Susanna's’ dress. It was my favorite color; blue! They really should take all the mature parts out of the play because it would be a better comedy for kids. The music was the best part because I love the highs and lows of the orchestra. The sets in the background were amazing . The minute I saw the tree I noticed all the important characters were designed on it! The story line was good and I loved how it all came together. In conclusion, I loved the opera and I’m excited to see the next one next year.
In my opinion the book was good. From what I read, the first couple pages had me hooked. The plot twist was amazing how Figiro didn’t know that Marcilina and Bartolo were his parents. I wish there were more plot twists because it was kinda boring in between act 3 and act 4. It also got really confusing really quickly. I wish they had more pictures of them in the book. The characters all had different personalities. My favorite character was Susanna. I love how she and the countess tried to switch each other identities. My least favorite was the count because he is a stinking, lying, cheater.
In my opinion the book was good. From what I read, the first couple pages had me hooked. The plot twist was amazing how Figiro didn’t know that Marcilina and Bartolo were his parents. I wish there were more plot twists because it was kinda boring in between act 3 and act 4. It also got really confusing really quickly. I wish they had more pictures of them in the book. The characters all had different personalities. My favorite character was Susanna. I love how she and the countess tried to switch each other identities. My least favorite was the count because he is a stinking, lying, cheater.
Laura W. waring
5th grade
I think that the Marriage of Figaro was amazing! I loved the music! It was so beautiful. They were experts in my opinion because their high notes were impressive. The language was fascinating to hear and the costumes were great! The Countess dress was shocking and was shining like diamonds! I really admire the Countess because she was tricky by fooling the Count. The way the people backstage were changing the sets, and pieces were so outstanding because they only took about 10 seconds! The music was so soft and soothing! Since the music was so soft you could close your eyes, and just relax! The Marriage of Figaro was great! It was so cool seeing what they go through before the show in live action!I am so happy that I had the chance to share this memorable experience with my waring family!
Laura W. waring
5th grade
I think that the Marriage of Figaro was amazing! I loved the music! It was so beautiful. They were experts in my opinion because their high notes were impressive. The language was fascinating to hear and the costumes were great! The Countess dress was shocking and was shining like diamonds! I really admire the Countess because she was tricky by fooling the Count. The way the people backstage were changing the sets, and pieces were so outstanding because they only took about 10 seconds! The music was so soft and soothing! Since the music was so soft you could close your eyes, and just relax! The Marriage of Figaro was great! It was so cool seeing what they go through before the show in live action!I am so happy that I had the chance to share this memorable experience with my waring family!
In my opinion the book was good. From what I read, the first couple pages had me hooked. The plot twist was amazing how Figiro didn’t know that Marcilina and Bartolo were his parents. I wish there were more plot twists because it was kinda boring in between act 3 and act 4. It also got really confusing really quickly. I wish they had more pictures of them in the book. The characters all had different personalities. My favorite character was Susanna. I love how she and the countess tried to switch each other identities. My least favorite was the count because he is a stinking, lying, cheater.
Grade 5
Laura w school
I enjoyed the Marriage of Figaro. The Countess’s clothes were really pretty. I also loved the designs on Susanna's’ dress. It was my favorite color; blue! They really should take all the mature parts out of the play because it would be a better comedy for kids. The music was the best part because I love the highs and lows of the orchestra. The sets in the background were amazing . The minute I saw the tree I noticed all the important characters were designed on it! The story line was good and I loved how it all came together. In conclusion, I loved the opera and I’m excited to see the next one next year.
Laura W. waring
5th grade
I think that the Marriage of Figaro was amazing! I loved the music! It was so beautiful. They were experts in my opinion because their high notes were impressive. The language was fascinating to hear and the costumes were great! The Countess dress was shocking and was shining like diamonds! I really admire the Countess because she was triky by fooling the Count. The way the people backstage were changing the sets, and pieces were so outstanding because they only took about 10 seconds! The music was so soft and soothing! Since the music was so soft you could close your eyes, and just relax! The Marriage of Figaro was great! It was so cool seeing what they go through before the show in live action!I am so happy that I had the chance to share this memorable experience with my waring family!
Laura W. waring
5th grade
I think that the Marriage of Figaro was amazing! I loved the music! It was so beautiful. They were experts in my opinion because their high notes were impressive. The language was fascinating to hear and the costumes were great! The Countess dress was shocking and was shining like diamonds! I really admire the Countess because she was triky by fooling the Count. The way the people backstage were changing the sets, and pieces were so outstanding because they only took about 10 seconds! The music was so soft and soothing! Since the music was so soft you could close your eyes, and just relax! The Marriage of Figaro was great! It was so cool seeing what they go through before the show in live action!I am so happy that I had the chance to share this memorable experience with my waring family!
Grade 5
Laura w school
I enjoyed the Marriage of Figaro. The Countess’s clothes were really pretty. I also loved the designs on Susanna's’ dress. It was my favorite color; blue! They really should take all the mature parts out of the play because it would be a better comedy for kids. The music was the best part because I love the highs and lows of the orchestra. The sets in the background were amazing . The minute I saw the tree I noticed all the important characters were designed on it! The storyline was good and I loved how it all came together. In conclusion, I loved the opera and I’m excited to see the next one next year.
5th Grade
Laura w. Waring
What I liked about the play that is was very fun to enjoy . Even though it was my first opera I still liked it . I am also glad that they had the english text at the top because that was a really big help. The length of the opera I really did not like , because things that are long it make me go to sleep , but I tried my best to stay wake because I really liked it . When they were getting married I liked how they had the trees and the swings , that made it look really pretty .The costumes were how I pictured it to be , because it is in the 1800 and back then their clothes were really fancy . I also liked the music it was not like the music I listen to because it was very different . Even though it was one of my first opera's I still like it.
Susanetta.In conclusion the show was a good show
PEPPER Homeschoolers
Grade 10
Last Wednesday I attended the dress rehearsal of The Marriage of Figaro at the Philadelphia Opera. This was my fourth time attending an opera and this production was my favorite.
The Marriage of Figaro centers on Count Almaviva who has less than innocent intentions for his manservant’s fiancée Susanna. The manservant, Figaro, and the cheated countess plan to catch the count in his adultery. After many plot twists and mistaken identities, Figaro and Susanna are happily married and the Count and Countess are united once again.
The singers, along with the sets, gave the opera a powerful and dramatic feeling, helping to keep me interested in the action.
The music did a great job of communicating the emotions of each character. It also helped by creating feelings of suspense, which kept the opera interesting. Two particularly powerful musical pieces were the countesses’ arias. Also, Bartolo’s “La Vendetta” was a commanding piece, especially since there were very few similar arias in the opera.
Two of my favorite parts of the whole production were the sets and costumes. The costumes were appropriate from the time period the opera was written. The bright colors of the costumes stood out against the white marble walls and doorways, making each character noticeable. One outstanding series of costumes was the count’s wardrobe. He first comes out in solid, rich colors, but as the opera progresses his clothing slowly fades to whites and grays, showing how his world is also slowly fading.
As mentioned in the above paragraph, the actors were dressed in clothing styled from about the time the opera was written, the 1700’s. This gives the opera a grand and rich feeling, which is appropriate as the count was a very wealthy man. It was also a very cool touch to have the stage crew dressed up as servants, like they were doing their job as part of the household.
I enjoyed the opera very much. The beautiful music, stunning sets and costumes and excellent acting made the production extremely entertaining. Despite some suggestive scenes in the opera, I would recommend this production to friends and family.
PEPPER Homeschoolers
Grade 9
Before coming to the opera, my teacher had us read the script for the Marriage of Figaro, and for the most part I understood and enjoyed the plot, the live opera however was a little more confusing to me. I think it could have been clearer. Also, the amount of sexual humor was a little annoying, I thought the comedy would have been much better without it. I understood the characters and their motivations both when reading the script and watching the opera, and I feel some of the characters were better represented by the live opera. Marcellina for instance: When I read the script I didn’t realize she was in love with Figaro until she she tried to force him to marry her. When watching the opera however, I was introduced to her and her motives right of the bat and I understood her character very well, they did a great job with that. There are some characters though that I didn’t quite get as well as I did when reading the script without any visual aid. Figaro is my favorite character in the drama because he shows humor and wit even in dire situations and never wastes an opportunity to play a trick even if it risks getting him smacked across the face. I thought the opera didn’t show off that charming character enough though, which is very odd since he’s one the most memorable character. Perhaps the actor did portray him well I just couldn’t tell because it was in latin.
As far as music is concerned, I’m not the best person to ask for a good judgement as this was my first time hearing a live opera performance and I don’t have anything else to go off of. Despite this, I did enjoy the music and I thought the tunes were fun as well as the lyrics and actors that went behind them. I’m not a die hard opera fan so I couldn’t tell you which notes I thought were extraordinary and which ones I thought were dull, however I can say definitively that they were in a different language that I couldn’t comprehend (thanks for the subtitles by the way).
Staging, Costume, and Setting:
Now the staging may have been my favorite part of the opera. It was a huge privilege to get to see the way the set was made for every scene and the transformation was right there for us to see and enjoy instead of hidden behind a curtain. I think my favorite setting in the stage design was during the scene where Figaro is standing outside the mansion in courtyard while we could see the party going on behind him through the doors. I think that was a very good design and I give a huge round of applause to the the designer who thought that up, and by huge I mean very small, because I’m just one guy and I can only clap so much. For the most part I liked the costumes, although I did have one major problem at one point. When Susanna dresses up as the Countess it caught me off guard, because she looked nothing like the countess. I had read the script before seeing the opera and I was looking forward to seeing them go out all out disguising themselves as each other. It was one of my favorite parts of the story so that was a little bit of a disappointment for me, and it also confused the plot a little bit. Besides that the costumes were well done and did a great job of immersing me into the time period and story. There’s not much for me to say about the setting. It was almost exactly how I imagined it, from the time of day to the design of the rooms.
My Opinion:
I had a fun time at this Opera, it’s story was clever and full of hilarious twists (My favorite being Figaro’s parentage). Despite how much I enjoyed it, I think the show could have done without all the sexual humor, I personally don’t go for that kind of thing. At times I felt it even held the stories comedy back from what it could be. For this reason I probably would recommend it to a few of my friends, along with a warning about the unnecessary crudeness.
PEPPER Homeschoolers
Grade 9
The Marriage of Figaro was an opera about Susanna and Figaro's wedding day. The story included lots of plot twists which made it interesting. The entire opera was very involved, which made it a little hard to follow. If I hadn't taken the class I wouldn't have had any idea what was going on, but fortunately I was able to understand it so the experience was a little more enjoyable.
One part of the show that I particularly liked was the voices of the actors and actresses. The music was good as well, but the voices were what stood out to me. They were very strong and powerful, and I am glad I was able to appreciate them.
Another part of the opera that stood out to me was the costumes. I know that it can sometimes be difficult to come by authentic costumes, but the ones I saw last week were really nice. (They were also very pretty.) I also enjoyed the set and props. It looked like it took a long time to make them, and they really added to the overall effect of the opera. The set also helped with distinguishing where and when the story was taking place.
This was my first time seeing an opera, and it was a really interesting experience. I'm glad that I got the opportunity to go, and I think that it was very well put together. Though I would not recommend the opera to a younger audience, I do think that it would be a great experience for adults.
PEPPER Homeschoolers
Grade 12
Opera Philadelphia’s dress-rehearsal of The Marriage of Figaro was a talented performance that dramatically told the story engaging the audience in the plot. In the opera the servant, Figaro, is preparing to marry his beloved Susana, who is a maid. Both Figaro and Susanna are servants to the Count and Countess of the castle. The Count is in deep love with Susana and does not want her to marry Figaro. Because of this the Countess is very upset. Meanwhile the housekeeper, Marcellina, is in love with Figaro and with the help of Bartolo, the doctor, and the Count she makes a contract joining them in marriage. In the mist of all this, a page boy named, Cherubino, who falls in love with every woman, is currently in love with the Countess causing him to get in trouble with the Count. In the end Marcellina finds out that Figaro is her son and Bartolo his father. Figaro marries Susana and Marcellina marries Bartolo, Cherubino marries Barbarina, who is the gardener’s daughter, and the Countess forgives the Count.
The music of Opera Philadelphia’s performance brought forth the mood of the Opera well. Although I think the Orchestra could have been a little louder, they still played beautifully. The cast voices were good and they sang the songs terrifically. Layla Claire especially did a spectacular job of singing and playing her part as the Countess.
Altogether both the Orchestra and the cast did a wonderful job on the Opera.
The staging of the opera was fine; it could have served the plot a little better. The setting was a little confusing with where the location of the opera was supposed to take place. The staging and setting could have been better but they both served in the opera well.
Overall Opera Philadelphia’s The Marriage of Figaro was a wonderful performance. Although it could have done without some parts, the actors and actresses did a spectacular job of performing the opera. The place where the opera was performed, Philadelphia’s Academy of Music, was a very beautiful and unforgettable place. Though I do not think I would recommend this particular performance to anyone, I would recommend the place it was performed in for maybe another performance.
PEPPER Homeschoolers
Grade 12
Opera Philadelphia’s performance of The Marriage of Figaro was very dramatic and kept me engaged the whole show. This exciting opera tells the story of castle servants Figaro and Susanna and their crazy wedding day. On their wedding day, Susanna tells Figaro of their Count’s love for her. Count Almaviva lusts after Susanna, and, in doing so, brings disorder and chaos upon his own household. The Countess laments the loss of her husband’s love, and helps hatch a plan to bring everything back to order. Cherubino is a page boy who falls in love with all the women in the castle. Antonio is the castle gardener and Barbarina is his daughter. Bartolo, the doctor, Marcellina, the housekeeper, Basilio, the music teacher, and Don Curzio, a lawyer all work together with the Count to try to make Figaro marry Marcellina instead. However, Marcellina realizes Figaro is her long-lost son, and tells Figaro that Dr. Bartolo is his father. The Countess and Susanna carry on with their plot to confuse the Count and uncover his sin. Their plot succeeds and all are happy, and the Count is forgiven by the Countess.
Each piece of music was played and sung very beautifully. I was especially mesmerized by the Countess’ voice. I loved when she sang “Dove sono”! The whole song left me moved with just the amount of emotion that the Countess was feeling.
In my opinion, the set was too dull and boring. I felt like there should have been some kind of progression of disorder transferred into the set and costumes as well. I felt like everything was quite similar throughout the whole opera. The plot would’ve been enhanced if the crumbing Almaviva household was shown stronger through the sets and costumes.
I think the setting of the opera was very close to how the composer imagined. Nothing seemed confusing or distracting in the setting of the opera. I liked how this opera seemed more traditional and less updated.
Though this opera was very amusing and beautiful, I’m not sure I would recommend it to all my friends and family. There were definitely some parts in this particular opera that were not necessary. However, the Academy of Music is very beautiful and the artists were awe-inspiring, and so I would recommend it to older friends and family who would appreciate and enjoy the opera experience as much as I did.
PEPPER Homeschoolers
Grade 7
The Marriage of Figaro was such an interesting, complicated, breathtaking, and quite comical opera. The performers were outstanding with their facial expressions, and they really communicated the story well, even from far away where I was sitting. I could tell they put their heart and soul into each scene, even thought this particular performance was only a dress rehearsal. The plot was fantastic yet intricate. Everything about it was astounding and at times very funny. I didn't expect to laugh so much. The plot must have taken many months, or even year, to develop and also unravel. It was so very complicated yet beautiful. The performers made it less confusing by the emotion in their voices and their acting.
The music was beautiful and expressive. One could tell how the characters were feeling when they were singing. The singing really moved me. The voices had such extensive range, especially the women who played Susanna and the Countess.
The staging was fabulous, I loved all the scenery. Each set was so detailed. One could tell how much work and thought went into it. The costumes were also just as amazing; it was a joy to see them. Each one was gorgeous and I would have loved to have worn one. The setting of the play fit the story and plot. If it were set in a different time period, it would have been distracting because the scenery would have been too modern, taking focus away from the music.
My family would love The Marriage of Figaro; in fact, my grandfather attended it with us and totally loved it. He was humming the music for the rest of the afternoon. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to attend with my classmates.
Archbishop Wood
Grade 9
I think the opera was a good experience. It was very generous of them to let all of these students watch the play for almost nothing in return. The opera was entertaining and never ceased to surprise me and surpass my expectations for it. I can tell that the cast and crew put a lot of effort into it and none of it went to waste in creating this. The music was very good and I cannot even fathom the amount of effort it took to memorize their lines and how they are able to sing all throughout the show. In the end, I am glad that I was given the opportunity to experience and I hope I can see it again.
Philadellphia Virtual Academy
Grade 12
The Marriage of Figaro was a interesting new experience to me. Even though opera isn't my thing I was quite impressed. The actors were great at showing their emotion and expressions really had me engaged into the story. The orchestra really helped set the tone for each scene by playing more intense music or mellow depending on the scene. The costumes of the characters were amazing and really fit the time period of the opera. They had a few problems with the set but over all it looked really good and fit well with the scenes. I enjoyed my time at the opera and would recommend it to someone else for the experience.
12 grade
PVA
I thought the Marriage of Figaro had a good story line the cast did a good job with acting it out with expressions while singing it. Also the story line was pretty funny. The sets were nicely set up and looked very real and went well with the story to tell witch time period it took place in. The characters were really funny and put on a great performance. My favorite characters were Figaro and Susanna. They were great actors and had good singing voices. The music was kind of hard to understand because it was not in English. Also the sub titles were hard to see from where I was sitting and it was hard to look at the sub tittles and watch the play at the same time. But the music was good because the cast had pretty voices. The costumes were really cool looking. It made the cast look funny and helped tell the story a little better because the costumes were older to help show the time period as well. The women all wore big dresses and the men wore their pants really high and baggy.
I feel as though the opera can still connect to people today even though it was from 1786 because people back then and people today still act the same way as they do today. They were married and had some complications. Some of the complications were when more than one guy wanted the same girl and when Figaro almost had to marry Marcellina because he owed her money. Also both people from back then and today tried to get other woman or men even though they already have one. And everyone still loves like they did back then.
Philadelphia Virtual Academy
12th
I've enjoyed The Marriage of Figaro Opera performance. The singers/actors made me feel as if I was an actor in the play. The singing was amazing and so was the orchestra made me smile so many times. The setting was amazing and the way the were able to use to stage props and made more than one scene was different and breath taking. I've never seen something like that before. The costumes were very nice. The actors were very funny.
I believe that the audiences in The Marriage Of Figaro Opera 1786 can very well be connected in many different ways to the audiences in 2017. In The audience of 1786 and 2017, there were so many people filled with laughter and excitement. The woman and men got all dressed up just to watch the play in both 1786 and 2017.
If I had the chance to watch The Marriage Of Figaro opera I would. I had a wonderful time and this was an experience that I will forever remember. Next time I'll take someone to get the opportunity to watch the opera and to see something they haven't seen before.
I feel that the opera the marriage of Figaro , in 2017 could have a audience, but not as big as some of the different entertainment scenes, like music concerts , movies or sporting events. I think the audience an opera would attract would be the older generation. I think it would attract the older generation because they are more patient and have a lot of free time .
My first reason why I think the opera wouldn't connect to the audience of 2017 is because its in a different language. I say that because its hard to connect whit something that you don't understand.
My second reason why I think the opera wouldn't connect to the audience of 2017 is the singing makes it hard to tell what's going on in the opera. I think the singing makes the story line harder to follow along. I think a lot of people would just rather go do something else with their time, like go the movies or listen to music then to go the opera and watch people sing a play that's in a different language.
These are my two reasons why I don't think the audience of 2017 wouldn't connect to the opera.
Marquis Willis
PVA
12
PVA
12
2 ) From 1786 -2017
I feel that the opera the marriage of Figaro , in 2017 could have a audience, but not as big as some of the different entertainment scenes, like music concerts , movies or sporting events. I think the audience an opera would attract would be the older generation. I think it would attract the older generation because they are more patient and have a lot of free time .
My first reason why I think the opera wouldn't connect to the audience of 2017 is because its in a different language. I say that because its hard to connect whit something that you don't understand.
My second reason why I think the opera wouldn't connect to the audience of 2017 is the singing makes it hard to tell what's going on in the opera. I think the singing makes the story line harder to follow along. I think a lot of people would just rather go do something else with their time, like go the movies or listen to music then to go the opera and watch people sing a play that's in a different language.
These are my two reasons why I don't think the audience of 2017 wouldn't connect to the opera.
Marquis Willis
PVA
12
School:Lawrence Middle School
Class:8
The opera was wonderful and I loved it .The most exciting part was the animation and the acting which were filled with comedy .The opera was so good that it made my night special .I have never seen a opera before so I loved it and hope everybody else also loves it as I did .
School: Lawrence Middle School
Class: 8th grade orion
The opera was so amazing on a scale from 1-10 I would give it 11. It seem well rehearsed and the singing and projection were on point. I loved Queen Aria and her singing. I also loved the subtitles making the whole story make sense rather than not understanding it at all.