TURANDOT - STUDENT BLOG
OPTION 1: WRITE A REVIEW: The arts are all about developing an opinion. Having had the opportunity to see Turandot at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. We will accept all reviews, positive and negative. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.
OPTION 2: COMPARE AND CONTRAST: What is your favorite genre, or type, of music? How does the music of Turandot, an opera, compare to your favorite music genre. What is similar? What is different? Are there aspects of one genre that you like more?
With both options we ask that you include your:
NAME:
SCHOOL:
GRADE:
Happy writing! We look forward reading your responses!

Comments
Chartertech
12th
The opera was amazing. I loved the scenes they had set up. I loved how well all the characters played their parts well. The singing overall was really good. My favorite characters were Ping, Pang, and Pong. I feel like they were definitely the most entertaining characters over all in this opera.
CharterTech
Grade 11
Turandot was a very interesting opera. It was very cultivating, and attention grabbing. The set, combined with the brilliant vocals of each actor, and the performing as well really helped solidify the interest. The set was simple, yet beautiful, and really attracted my eyes. The actors themselves were very good at displaying a fabulous performance, especially Ping, Pang, and Pong, as they offer a nice sense of comedic relief, all while cultivating the audience with their beautiful voices. The time and setting of Turandot was interesting, as the music had a nice foreign twist to it, that fit well with the set. The only thing I couldn't enjoy as much was the plot, as it seemed to simple, and repetitive. However, the singing and performing helped kick up this performance. I also tended to avoid looking at the subtitles, as it helped me appreciate the set and performance as a whole.
charter tech
12th grade
I loved this opera testing along to best about it is the music the music in the set.
I loved luis solo it was beautiful and moving. the set was stunning.
And visually stimulating. However in my eye lui would have been a better ice princess
Charter-Tech High School
12th
My overall experience of the opera was very exciting. I enjoyed the music, the setting and the characters. I've been to Opera Philadelphia many time and still become more and more impressed whenever I get the chance to be a part of seeing an Opera. I never leave disappoint.
My favrotie characters were Liu and Ping,Pang and Pong. The way Liu was willing you give up everything for Calaf all because she loved him, and it gave her courage. Ping, Pang and Pong was the funniest part of the whole opera. When I first read the Opera I thought that Ping, Pang, and Pong represented the three riddles.
Charter Tech High School for the Performing Arts
Grade 12
I have seen quite a few productions from Opera Philadelphia with Charter Tech. Turandot was, by far, my favorite of the operas I've seen. The colors, dancers, and music reminded me of Disney's Fantasia. The colors kept my eyes glued to the screen at all times. The music was very melodic and was more interesting than other operas. I liked the tenor that played Calaf, however his voice cracked a lot and I feel like he could've been casted differently. The person that played Liu had an absolutely beautiful voice and was the best in the show. Christine Goerke was a wonderful Turandot and I loved seeing the acting that she put into her singing. My favorite part of the show was the costume that princess Turandot wore that had a lot of 3D heads popping out of the inside of the robe. It was beautiful and abstract. I think the main severed heads that were on the set for the whole opera should've had different facial expressions and different drips of blood. They were so realistic, but the fact that they were all exactly the same made me remember that they were just props in the set. It was a really really great production and I'd like to see it again.
Charter Tech High School
11th grade
Having had the opportunity to see Turandot live, I can say honestly that my favorite part of the performance was when Calaf answered all of Turandot's riddles, which cases her to start begging her father not to throw her into the arms of a stranger. Not only is this a powerful moment because of the emotion the actors put in, but following this scene, Calaf gives his powerful aria in act 3. Needless to say, the show was filled with great music, singing, and an even more beautiful set.
Charter Tech High School
11th grade
Having had the opportunity to see Turandot live, I can say honestly that my favorite part of the performance was when Calaf answered all of Turandot's riddles, which cases her to start begging her father not to throw her into the arms of a stranger. Not only is this a powerful moment because of the emotion the actors put in, but following this scene, Calaf gives his powerful aria in act 3. Needless to say, the show was filled with great music, singing, and an even more beautiful set.
Charter Tech
12th
The dramatic theme of the show engaged me and I found myself interested in the plot more than any other opera I have seen before. We found ourselves watching a character (Turandot) who was having an internal battle with herself. But even though she was dealing with her own conflicts, the characters around her became involved. Because Turandot needed to find Calaf's name so that she did not have to marry him, Liu killed herself to keep the secret safe.
The music fit the style and the story of the opera because there was constant drama, suspense, and sadness and the music seemed to complement all of those feelings perfectly.The ending song, where all of the characters were singing as Turandot introduced Calaf as love to her father was a song that showed the resolution of the conflict. But the song that showed a role in displaying the plot was when the chorus was pleading Calaf not to ring the gong because they did not want another man to risk their life for Turandot.
The set was designed in red, gold, and was also made to incline. I saw the stage as a symbol of the power in China. The chorus who seemed to be of lower class were not on the inclined part of the stage, Turandot and the emperor were always seen in a special place above the stage, and the executioner was always seen right below Turandot which shows the direct dedication to her. The costumes helped to underline the plot because the costumes helped to display the different roles in society. Ping, Pang, and Pong were dressed rather nicely so that showed that they had some authority over the others in the show. Meanwhile, the chorus that was seen in the beginning were all wearing the same clothing and were often showed in kneeling or crouched positions which showed that they were far beneath the ranks of Turandot or even Ping, Pang, and Pong.
The setting has been updated but I think it shows how things would have been run in a way that appeals more to our eyes. Throughout the course of the opera, the stage is mostly the same during the execution scenes, Turandot's and Calaf's duet, etc. It shows the elegant yet sometimes harsh atmosphere of China during the time. The gold symbolized the beauty and the richness, while the red symbolized the sometimes harsh reality that China had to face.
I would explain this opera to my friends and family because I was more interested in this show than any I had seen before. The story was different and kept me engaged throughout the course of the show and I think that my friends and family would feel as if they were watching something that they would be engaged in.
Chartertech High School
10
The performance was absolutely amazing. The suspense and emotion felt in their voice had me on the edge of my seat. Liu's voice cut right through me and the emotion in Turandot's voice and face touched my heart.
I would definitely recommend friends and family to go see this opera. It was great. The music and setting added on to the drama and humor for the opera.
Chartertech for the performing arts
12th grade
Za'Kaiah....
This opera is my favorite by far. I have been to about 4 or 5 operas with Julie-Ann Green, who was also in this performance. She helped me see stuff i always dreamed of but never could do. Mrs. Green being the vocal teacher she is, has exposed me to new and beautiful things in life. Ping, Pang, and Pong was hilarious and made me smile every time i saw them come out. I enjoyed the opera from start to finish. I would most likely recommend this opera to friends and families everywhere.
Charter Tech
12th Grade
The opera was excellent. One thing that I really liked and appreciated was the costumes. Those were very well made and the amount of detail on them alone are great. Same thing for the set. The characters were really active and gave a great performance. Just a great job overall and I would not mind seeing this again if I could.
Radnor Middle School
Grade:6
On April 25th, 2018 I went to go see Carmen, a very famous Opera put on by Opera Philidephia and wanted to give my feedback on the show. I thought the show was very good all the acts were put together very well and watching the opera made me feel like I was part of the show and on the stage with the actors. I especially enjoyed the Toreador song and loved how beautiful the song sounded, I thought that the orchestra did a very good job with this internationally known song!