Skip to main content

Elixir of Love Student Reviews


Students in the Opera Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw Donizetti's Elixir of Love at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia on April 27, 2016. 

The potent potion to drive devotion
A truly magic brew, or just a bottle of snake oil?


The Elixir of Love (L’elisir d’amore), set in the 1940s Italian countryside in this charming production from The Santa Fe Opera, is a delight for all lovers of 19th-century Italian bel canto. Poor, oil-soaked auto-mechanic Nemorino is in love with the wealthy Adina, but she only has eyes for the striking Sergeant Belcore. Enter pinstriped Dr. Dulcamara, a quack who woos Nemorino with a promise: drink the elixir and Adina will fall in love with Nemorino within a day. But, does this strange tincture really work?

Participating students are encouraged to share their thoughts on the opera by posting their reviews here. All reviews, positive and negative, will be accepted, just make sure to include your:
  • FIRST NAME
  • GRADE
  • SCHOOL
Tell us what you liked about the story, the sets, your favorite character, or your favorite scene, and more.

Don't forget to support your opinion in 50 words or more!

Thanks!

Comments

Unknown said…
Name: Chris
Grade: 9
School: Archbishop Wood
I went to see this opera, and I was not disappointed. The story had been done before, but there were a few surprises. It is about a poor underdog mechanic named Nemorino who falls in love with a teacher named Adina. But Adina is married to Seargeant Belcore. They are both rivals for Adina’s affection. A snake oil salesman named Dr. Dulcamara tries to trick Nemorino out of his money with fake love potions, which Nemorino falls for. My favorite character was Sergeant Belcore, because he was very clever in tricking Nemorino so he would be away from Adina. The orchestra music was beautiful, as was the singing, especially the voice of Adina. The costumes portrayed the characters well, with poor Nemorino having a mechanics uniform and wealthy Belcore having a military uniform. Dr. Dulcamara had a fancy appearance, to further lure the villagers into his trap of fake potions. The backgrounds seemed to look like they should. The composer, Gaetano Donizetti, had probably not imagined the story exactly like this. He lived in the 1800s, and the story seems to have been updated a bit. It is nit a distraction, but may help younger viewers understand the piece better. I recommend it for friends and family, because it has funny and sad moments, and excellent music.
Anonymous said…
Paige, senior at CB East High School
I thought that the performers were amazing, and that the set was interesting, how the back was tilted. I would say that the subtitles only went across for portions of the songs, but not the entire duration of the songs.
Anonymous said…
Amanda, senior, CB East

I really enjoyed this opera. My favorite aspect of it was the comedy and and almost slapstick-ness of it all. Everything was so lively and fun to watch. I especially enjoyed the scene with the ladies all fawning over the newly rich Nemorino and primping themselves to go see him. The leading lady of Adina and her little "sidekick" we're my two favorite characters. They held their own and had just the right amount of sass, and I loved their voices. The way they just glided over top notes left me in awe.
Unknown said…
School Name: Archbishop Wood Grade: 9th

Critique
I liked the opera because I got to see them sing like they were yelling but it was just talent and to see them talk so fluently in Italian which i never heard before. They sang very loud and was able to spread there voice across the whole building and had the crowd enjoying the whole thing.
My favorite character was Nemerino because he never game up on his love for Adina and even when he had nothing he gave everything he had for her. Even spending his last coin for her and even when he had nothing everything he did came back with great luck, when his uncle died he got all of his uncles money. When Adina saw Nemerino get all of the girls around him she realized that she loved him and can’t let him love anyone else but Adina.
I liked the sets it reminded me of the times during the war that my great grandpa tells me about and the movies if them during the war.

Was this your first time at the opera? Yes
Would you like to see another opera? Yes
Did you look at the workbook at home? Yes
If yes, did you use the book witha parent or guardian? Somewhat



Anonymous said…
Stephanie
Archbishop Wood High School
9
I thought this play was great. I liked how we were given librettos before the opera. The Librettos really taught me things I didn't know about the opera and WWII. I thought the cast was wonderful and did a marvelous job portraying their characters. They were full of emotion and sang with passion. The props were wonderful. They were simple and did a great job telling us about the time and place of the opera. I especially liked the lights and flowers during the wedding scene. The cast did such a wonderful job telling the story through their powerful voices.
Unknown said…
Jacob
Grade 10
Archbishop Wood

This was my first opera. I enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the second act because I thought it was more exciting. My favorite part of the opera came at the end when Nemorino and Adina got married. I liked how it built up over the whole opera, but I did find parts of the first act to be boring. Overall, I did enjoy the opera and I would go back to see another.
Anonymous said…
Stephen
Archbishop Wood
10

The opera was well performed, although some parts of the play were too predictable and there weren't really any surprises. The singers were good and the props were amazing. The motorized scooter and Nemorino's car were exceptional. The singers projected their voices very well and the orchestra was just the right volume but could have gone a little louder and it would have been even better. My favorite character was Dulcamara. He was funny and he was portrayed very well by his actor. The costumes were great and the sets were assembled very well. The effects were also done very well, with the lightening being the best one.
Anonymous said…
Kierra
9th
Archbishop Wood


I wholeheartedly enjoyed my experience at the opera. I thought the performance and the characters were entertaining and amusing. I also found the music to be very nice. The Elixir of Love was a really funny, heartfelt, and dramatic show.

I enjoyed the characters, mostly Nemorino, and thought they had great voices. Adina wasn't my favorite character in the beginning because I thought she was treating Nemorino cruelly, but her character began to grow on me by the second half of the show. Dulcamara was also a favorite of mine even though he tricked Nemorino with his fake elixir. I found his character very amusing. And I never liked Belcore because he was mean and didn't really love Adina.

The music in the opera was really interesting and it helped a lot with figuring out the mood of what was happening on the stage. My favorite part, music wise, was the duet between Nemorino and Adina. This was my favorite part because I had been waiting the entire show for Adina to finally admit that she was in love with Nemorino. And the way it was sung helped a lot because you could truly tell the emotions that Adina had for Nemorino after seeing all those girls surrounding him. You could also see how happy and excited Nemorino was once she confessed her love for him.

In class, before visiting the opera, we learned some background history on the story. The Elixir of Love was set post World War II time. The setting of stage seemed to fit that time frame. I believe that because you could tell by the way the character were dressed. They seemed to be wearing older clothes. Also Nemorino was working on a car. The car was an older looking model than the cars you would typically see on the street. I think because the setting fit so well with the time frame of the play it helped the audience get an idea on how the characters reacted to certain situations. Normally people today wouldn't think about getting married after a couple of minutes of knowing each other. Adina and Belcore did that. And if the setting didn't show that the time frame of the story was set in the past then they would be a little confused.

My personal opinion of the opera was actually negative before I went on this field trip. I thought the idea of someone singing out an entire play was dumb, but now my view have completely changed. I really enjoyed my experience and I'm very happy that I decided to give this trip a try. I loved it and I would recommend watching the opera to all of my family and friends. I thought it was very interesting and the story was very entertaining. I also loved how all the characters played a really special part. Even if they didn't have lines. Adina’s friend barely sang, if she did at all, but her character helped with the story a lot. She was a very active and funny sidekick. But overall I enjoyed this experience and can't wait to attend next year.

Max Keer said…
Max keer
St. Mary’s Interparochial school
Grade 7
I enjoyed my experience at the opera. I enjoyed the opera because it was very well written and executed. My favorite character was the medicine man because he was extremely funny. I liked the sets and the costumes because they were very well done and seemed to recreate the setting perfectly. This was my first time at the opera, and I would like to see another one. I did not take the workbook home.
Anonymous said…
Saint Mary Interparochial School
Grade 7
Overall, I really enjoyed my experience at the opera show “Elixir of Love”. This was my first time at an opera and I would say it was overall an exceptional experience. I would have to say my favorite character was Nemorino because he projected his voice well with the orchestra which seems like a difficult task. Also he really made the part come alive through his development of strong emotions. The props especially Nemorino’s car with the roaring motor and the smooth mobility actually made the setting seem more believable. I did not get a booklet beforehand but I definitely would have reviewed it with my family and myself. Seeing this opera will definitely make me want to visit another opera in the future.
Krish said…
Saint Mary Interparochial School
Krish
Seventh Grade

When I saw the first act, I did not like the opera and thought the whole thing was going to be boring. But when I started paying attention I thought it was really cool that they could sing a whole conversation and make their voices high and low according to their characters. My favorite character was Sergeant Belcore. He was my favorite because he didn’t need Adina to make him feel complete. I liked the sets and costumes because they helped to make the opera more understandable to children our age. This was my first opera that I saw. I would like to see another opera preferably at the Academy of Music.
Anonymous said…
St. Mary Interparochial
Grade 7
I did like the opera, I just wouldn’t see another one. This was my first opera. I think the thing I disliked the most was the language barrier. If they were singing in English I think I would have enjoyed it just a little more. But, it was still a beautiful opera. My favorite character was Adina. Her voice was beautiful and she was a great actress. The sets and costumes were so creative. My favorite prop was the shiny red car. The backdrop was also a great idea because when it changed, it made the whole stage seem different. The costumes were beautiful. Adina’s wedding dress was the best costume in my opinion. Yes, I looked at the workbook at home. I talked to my mom about my experience, and she says she wants to see an opera now to! -G

Anonymous said…
saint marys interprochial school What I liked about the opera was it was loud, exciting, and fun. My favorite character was nemorino he was loud, exciting and funny. I liked the sets they were done really well and very colorful and creative. The costumes were made very nice and they were very colorful. Yes this was my first time at the opera and it was a very good time at the opera. This was my first time and will not be my last time.no I didn’t have time to look at the workbook at home. by jacob
Anonymous said…
St. Mary's Interparochial School
JES
7th Grade
My experience at the opera was amazing. I liked how it was exciting, funny, and creative. I loved it and I would recommend watching the opera to all of my family and friends. I thought it was very entertaining. I also loved how all the characters brought the plot all together. Liked the sets and costumes that every part of the story. This was actually my first time at the opera. Adina was my favorite because she wasn’t really didn’t want a man in her life yet. Before the play I read most of the book but not the ending so it would be a surprise. But really liked the ending and enjoyed this experience and can't wait to see another year.
Anonymous said…
Colin
St. Mary Interparochial School
Grade 7

I like the opera called “The Elixir of Love” because I have never seen an opera before and it was different. I liked the extremely loud voices of the singers and how the told a story by singing. My favorite character in the opera was Nemorino because he deeply desired Adina and wanted to marry her but he didn’t have money, which was important for men to have in order for women to like them. I liked the sets and costumes of the opera because it was really on point for the setting which was during World War II. This was my first opera and I might want to see another opera depending on the topic. I didn’t use the book at home, but I read a little bit of it in school.
Anonymous said…
My opinion on the Opera was that i thought that it was not going to be worth seeing but i was wrong. But when it started I lit up with joy. When the actors started to sing and dance i was getting into the Opera more and more. the character was Nemorino. He was my choice because at one point of the play he was very happy and willing to give anything for his lover. I liked the setting and the clothing for the actors because it gave me a hint that it was back in the older days and i really like to get that feeling. For my first time at an Opera i really enjoyed it and i do hope to go to see another one soon. I did use the book at home and i practiced with my family the parts of the Opera. But overall i enjoyed this Opera.
Anonymous said…
Sofia
St. Mary Interparochial School
I really enjoyed the opera. The way the characters sang, danced, and acted all at the same time fascinated me. My favorite character was Nemorino because he showed that if you go after something you truly love it’ll be yours. I thought I wouldn’t like it because someone singing for the whole entire play in another language seems boring and unentertaining. This opera proved me wrong and I’m glad it did. I loved the way the actors were extremely into their characters. It was like they were really the characters and not actors. The pitches and ranges that the singers had were unbelievable. I really enjoyed the opera. I thank the school for taking me.
Anonymous said…
Saint Mary Interparochial
7th

The Opera was really fun and I would definitely go back. I thought the setting and costumes were really cool. I think it’s really amazing how the Opera singers can sing in such high pitches. It’s amazing how they sing without a microphone and you can still hear them clearly. Before we went on the trip I didn’t think I was going to like the Opera but it was actually very cool. I also liked the concept of the play. The props were awesome especially the red car that they used during the Opera. It looked like it would be a lot of fun to ride in that.
Anonymous said…
Saint Mary’s Interparochial School
7Th Grade
I liked this opera because of the seats we were in the and the songs they sang. My favorite character was Dr. Dulcamara because of how he fooled himself thinking the wine was a real love potion. I like the costumes because they made me feel like I was back in that time period. This was my very first opera I’ve ever been to. I would like to see another opera with their kind of comedy. I didn’t read the book at home but I read it in school. But when I came home from the play I showed my mom the workbook.
Anonymous said…
St Mary Interparochial School
Grade 7

I disliked this play because it was boring and dull. The actors didn't bring out the full spirit of their characters. I didn't like how it was in another language as well. I thought it was boring until the end. The end was alright but it still wasn't amazing. I think the actors could have acted more lively.
Anonymous said…
My experience at the opera was fun and exiting; this is why I liked it. My favorite was the Nomerino because he’s cool. I liked the sets and costumes because they looked really awesome. It was my first time going to the opera. I would like to see another opera. I didn’t use the book at home with my parent’s.
St. Mary Interparochial School – Grade 7
Anonymous said…
St. Mary Interporochial School
Grade 7
I enjoyed the Elixir of Love a lot. It was my first opera and I wasn’t disappointed. I was amazed in the way the opera singer/actors and actresses projected their voices. It was surprising to see how loud their voices were. I especially loved the background; in the different scenes they would change it. The decorations they used matched the scene they were acting out and made it prettier. My favorite characters and singers were Adina and Nemorino. They were my favorite because I loved their love story and how they acted. Especially Nemorino, he was funny and he had to act out different emotions. He was happy and tried to stay optimistic. I would absolutely want to see another opera, I think I would enjoy it depending on what the story. The workbook was helpful when it came to figuring out the story and what they were talking about. In the workbook I did the matching activity, I learned different words that I didn’t know before. My brothers, mom and I went over the workbook, the opera reminded me of Beauty and the Beast, which helped me understand more. I would recommend going to see the Elixir of Love if u like romance. -B
Anonymous said…
St. Mary Interparochial School
Grade 7

I love the play it was fun but some deep parts. I like the love triangle between Nemorino, Adina, and Belcore. It was weird that Nemorino never looked at the label when it said wine because when Belcore looked at it, it had a label. I loved all their voices and it amazed me how they can get that loud and high. The end made me happy that Adina picked Nemorino not for his money but his personality not like the rest of the girls in that town. It shocked me when Belcore did not have a bigger reaction to Adina's choice he seems like the mad type.
Premuimpumkin said…
Elixir was a really good Opera. It was funny very funny, especially when the Sargent came into the town during the harvest. My favorite character was Adina because, she seemed really engaged and focused, it almost seemed like it was real life! Elixir has been my favorite play ever since I saw it and I hope I can go again to see the Opera again! Now only if there was a guy to sell me a time travel potion. Hmm...

Anonymous said…
St. Mary Interparochial
Amelie
Grade 7

I liked the opera because it was a good experience for me. My favorite character was Adina because she was very independent when it came to men in the beginning of the show. She wanted to be a single woman. I enjoyed the set and the costumes because it felt like you were really there in Italy during the 19th century. It made me want to watch what was going to happen next. This was my first time at an opera. I would like to see another opera. I didn’t look at the workbook at home because I didn’t have a workbook.
Anonymous said…
I was not looking forward to seeing the opera, Elixir of Love. I thought it was boring. It was long and I don’t like sitting still for long periods of time. I didn’t understand why a nice man like Nemorino would be in love with a mean girl like Adina. The sets were nice and the costumes were pretty. I would not like to see another opera. I also didn’t look through the workbook. The actors performed well.
Anonymous said…
St Mary Interparochial School
Grade 7

I really enjoyed the Elixir of Love opera that my class and I went to see. My favorite character in the performance was Adina because she didn’t fall for Belcore and his ego. She instead fell for Nemorino, a charming auto mechanic. My favorite scene was when Adina and Nemorino got married at the end. Another one of my favorite characters was Dr. Delucamara. I found it very amusing that he tricked Nemorino into thinking he bought a real love potion when all he bought was wine. I didn’t end up looking through the booklet at home or with my parents. I thought it was quite boring. Overall I liked my first experience watching an opera.
Anonymous said…
Matthew
7th Grade

St. Mary Interparochial School

The Elixir of Love was a wonderful opera. The actors, props, costumes, everything was incredible. I especially liked the turn of events of how Nemorino loved Adina, and then Nemorino would get a fortune, which made all the girls in the village go crazy, which resulted in Nemorino not loving Adina anymore. Then Adina finally realizes how cruel she was towards Nemorino, and now she’s the one loving him. The last thing I liked about the opera is that the setting and decorations were astonishing. That is why the Elixir of Love is a great opera.
Anonymous said…

I enjoyed this play because I got to see them sing fluently in Italian which i never heard before. I thought this opera was interesting because of the music. I enjoyed the characters; my favorite character was Nemorino because I thought he had a really good voice. My opinion of the opera was actually negative before I went on this field trip. I thought the idea of someone singing out an entire play was stupid, but now my view has completely changed. I would see another opera. When I was home I and my mom were reading the workbook that they provided us. This was my first time at the opera.
Ava said…

My experience at the opera seeing the Elixir of Love was something I wont forget. This was my first time seeing an opera, but I have seen assortment of ballets at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia. For the most part I enjoyed this opera. However, Nemorino was my favorite character in the Elixir of Love. I say this because Nemorino he was sickly in love with Adina and how he would do anything for her love which lead to Nemorino buying the Elixir which was wine. At the end of this opera Adina realized How much she needed him in her life, and how incomplete she was with our him. However I kind of think that Adina was a person who gets everything she wants, and doesn't care about others feeling and self-center. With my experience at this opera I would love to see another on but maybe in English this time.
James said…
Saint Mary Interparochial School
Grade 7

I really like this opera because it wasn’t very serious like many operas are and it was kind of funny at times. I really liked Nemorino because he was a really unique and funny character. Nemorino also kind of reminded me of Mario. The sets were very nice. I especially loved the car that moved. It was my first time at an opera. I think it was a great first opera. I would like to see another opera if it were funny like this one. I did look at the workbook when I got home because I didn’t understand some things. I did not use the book with my parents.
Anonymous morgan said...

Grade 7
Saint Mary Interparochial School

When first hearing my school would be attending the opera, I was not excited. It seemed like it would be a boring trip. I was not excited or happy about hearing someone sing out an entire play but to make it even harder, it was in another language! But soon as we arrived, I had a different opinion. The setting was beautifully designed, the characters had astonishing voices, and the story was nicely played out. We had received opera playbooks with the script in English so it was easier to understand and follow along throughout. My favorite character was Gianetta, Adina’s best friend. She was very loyal towards Adina and always had her back. My favorite scene in the opera was when Nemorino received the love potion from the doctor Dulcamara. The scene was very upbeat and fun to listen to. After seeing the opera, I went home and told my parents. It was a good experience to bond with my mom, who speaks Italian and after showing her the playbook, she could translate some scenes for me. As someone who is and knows Italian, it was easy for me to understand some scenes since I knew a few words in the language. Overall, the opera was better than I expected.
Anonymous said…
Arch Bishop Wood High School 9th grade
When my teacher told my class that we were going to the opera I was excited and not excited at the same time. I didn't really know what an opera was like, but I knew it would be a good experience. When I got to the opera I was very excited. I'm not a huge fan of plays and opera singing so I didn't enjoy the show as much as I wanted to, but I would suggest to my family and friends to go.
Ava said…

When first hearing my school would be attending the opera, I was very excited. I've never been to an opera. However, I was scared that I wouldn't understand it, or it would be boring because it was in another language! As soon as we arrived, I was a little scared because of how high we were. But when it started I saw how the setting was beautifully designed, the characters had astonishing voices, and the story behind the characters. My favorite character was Nemorino, the man who fell in love with Adina and brought to elixir to win her love. Nemorino was to in love to tell that the elixir of love was just wine. My favorite scene in the opera was when Nemorino received the love potion from the doctor Dulcamara because it showed how he would do anything for Adina. I went home and told my mom about the opera and how it was amazing to have witness that experience. Overall, the opera was better than I expected.
Anonymous said…

Ava

Saint Mary's

Grade 7

When first hearing my school would be attending the opera, I was very excited. I've never been to an opera. However, I was scared that I wouldn't understand it, or it would be boring because it was in another language! As soon as we arrived, I was a little scared because of how high we were. But when it started I saw how the setting was beautifully designed, the characters had astonishing voices, and the story behind the characters. My favorite character was Nemorino, the man who fell in love with Adina and brought to elixir to win her love. Nemorino was to in love to tell that the elixir of love was just wine. My favorite scene in the opera was when Nemorino received the love potion from the doctor Dulcamara because it showed how he would do anything for Adina. I went home and told my mom about the opera and how it was amazing to have witness that experience. Overall, the opera was better than I expected.
Anonymous said…
Kathy
Grade 10
Archbishop Wood High School
I enjoyed the opera, but it could've been a little more exciting, especially in the first act. It served its purpose in introducing the main conflict and characters, however the more important scenes were not that particularly exciting. The first scene was very exciting, and the last scene got me excited for act two, but everything in between got all blurred together. Unlike act one, act two was very exciting. Multiple events happened all in a row and I almost couldn't keep up since everything was happening so fast. I actually thought for a moment that Nemorino and Adina would never get to profess their love, but they did and I was relieved. The acting and directing was fabulous, and I would love to come back for next year's opera.
Unknown said…
Kathy
Grade 10
Archbishop Wood High School
I enjoyed the opera, but the first act could've been more exciting. The first scene and last scene were exciting, but everything between was presented in a very boring fashion. The second act was very exciting. I was practically on the edge of my seat the whole time, from the chicken-obsessed lady who wrote out the menu to Nemorino and Adina finally professing their love. So many things happened in a row, and I almost couldn't keep up. It was crazy. The acting and directing was fabulous, and I would love to come back next year.
Salvatore said…
Salvatore
Grade 9
Archbishop Wood High School
The Elixir of Love was the first opera that I had ever experienced. When the teacher had announced that we would have the opportunity to attend, I was intrigued and wanted to experience it. The size of the theater is overwhelming. I was impressed by the magnificent, beautiful chandelier in the opera house. The Elixir of Love was a good story, but it is not one of my favorites. I would say the beginning and the end were my favorite parts. The characters and sets were colorful and animated. I especially enjoyed the music. I would recommend some concessions for intermission, but all in all it was a great experience and would definitely recommend it to others.
Salvatore said…
Salvatore
grade 9
Archbishop Wood
The Elixir of Love was the first opera that I had ever experienced. When the teacher had announced that we would have the opportunity to attend, I was intrigued and wanted to experience it. The size of the theater is overwhelming. I was impressed by the magnificent, beautiful chandelier in the opera house. The Elixir of Love was a good story, but it is not one of my favorites. I would say the beginning and the end were my favorite parts. The characters and sets were colorful and animated. I especially enjoyed the music. I would recommend some concessions for intermission, but all in all it was a great experience and would definitely recommend it to others.
Anthony said…
Anthony
Grade 9
Archbishop Wood High School
The Elixir of Love was the first opera I have ever been to and I had a great experience. I thought that the sets and costumes were awesome and that the story line was very well constructed. I was impressed by how well the actors and actresses were prepared even though it was a dress rehearsal. Even though I could not exactly follow the story through the words it was still easy to follow due to body language. One problem was that the words were not up to speed with the sub-script in English. I would have to say that the last few scenes were my favorite. I would 100% recommend the Elixir of Love to my friends and family!
Anthony said…
Anthony
Grade 9
Archbishop Wood High School
The Elixir of Love was the first opera I have ever been to and I had a great experience. I thought that the sets and costumes were awesome and that the story line was very well constructed. I was impressed by how well the actors and actresses were prepared even though it was a dress rehearsal. Even though I could not exactly follow the story through the words it was still easy to follow due to body language. One problem was that the words were not up to speed with the sub-script in English. I would have to say that the last few scenes were my favorite. I would 100% recommend the Elixir of Love to my friends and family!
Anonymous said…
Jessica, 10th grade, Archbishop Wood

I had never been to an opera before, so my expectations were high. The Elixir of Love exceeded those expectations. The performance was amazing, it was easy to understand the emotions that were being conveyed. Having the libretto before hand and going over it in class helped to understand the plot better so we could focus on the singing. My favorite character was Nemorino and my favorite scene was the last because seeing the underdog happily married is always satisfying. I also really enjoyed the jokes! The opera was an overall amazing experience with an amazing cast, would strongly recommend!
Anonymous said…
Alexis, 12th grade, Archbishop Wood

This was the second opera I have been to, but the first Romantic Comedy performance I have seen. It was an amazing experience and an outstanding show, truly an amazing performance. The music was great, the actors portrayed the characters amazing and the combination of these factors really brought the show together and made it extremely enjoyable for us, the audience. A must see show most definitely. My favorite character would have to be Dulcamara. He was often the comedic relief of the show and was more playful than i expected. Kevin Burdette put a lot of emotion when he sung and the actions he took while he or his cast mates preformed really portrayed Dulcamara perfectly. I believe Adina (Sarah Shafer) was the best singer though, since every time she held out those notes, it was absolutely astonishing. The stage was well laid out, the props were fantastic and gave pleasant scenery for the audience to observe, and the costumes were awesome. They were sleek, colorful and simplistic: representing the time period very well. Once again, the opera has amazed me yet again and I can not wait to see what they put together next.
Anonymous said…
Isabella, Grade 12
Archbishop Wood

The Elixir of Love was overall a great opera! Although the show started off slow, I was so into it throughout the entirety of the second act. My favorite scene was when all the women found out that Nemorino's uncle had died and were all over him. This was very funny because Nemorino believed that the elixir had actually worked. I was glad to have read the libretto beforehand because it gave me a better understanding of what was going on. If I had not read it, I would have been lost. Overall, I really liked The Elixir of Love and would definitely recommend it!
Anonymous said…
Savannah
9th Grade
Archbishop Wood High School
My experience at the opera was different from any other experience I have had. My favorite part of the opera was when Adina told Nemorino that she loved him and they sang a duet together. My favorite character was Nemorino because at first when Adina didn't realize she loved him and was hardheaded, he never gave up on trying. I liked the sets very much. It was cool how minimalist they were, yet they set the scene very well. The costumes were also very nice. They looked like they came from the time period portrayed in the opera.
Anonymous said…
Michael
9th Grade
Archbishop Wood High School

I enjoyed my time at the opera, The Elixir of Love, with my fellow classmates. I was not expecting that I would like the opera, but I was drawn into it by the characters of Nemorino and Adina. My favorite character was Adina because she has a wonderful voice and she portrayed her character very well. In addition, I enjoyed her aria that was impeccable. I thought that the staging was well thought out because they used all of the props in a clever way. I especially enjoyed Nemorino's car. This is because the car shifted side to side when the women were trying to win Nemorino's heart. I enjoyed the costumes because they were reflected the era. Before we went to the opera, we learned about the time period. I believe that the opera stayed true to the era in world history. In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this opera to everyone and I look like to attend the opera again.
Anonymous said…
Stella C
grade 9
ABW High School
Going to the opera was a very interesting experience. Italian is such a beautiful language, and it sounded even better sung by these amazing singers! My favorite character was Nemorino, because the singer that played his part was amazing(they were all amazing). I could tell how this actor was feeling, just by the way he portrayed this character. The set and costumes were amazing, and perfect for the time period of the show. The fact that all of those singers were able to project that well, was amazing to me. How did they not need mics?? Over all I'm happy I was able to experience this opera for the first time.
Diana said…
Diana Archbishop Wood grade9
I enjoyed the play very much. This was my first opera I've been too. Before the play we got the libretto that taught us about the play and the history of the play. When we came to the opera and got our seats, we enjoyed the perfect view of the stage and the superscript that helped me understand the play better. My favorite part of the play was the ending because everything worked out at the end. Nemorino was my most favorite actor. he showed his passion for Adina and didn't give up on there love.
Anonymous said…
Nick
9th grade
Archbishop wood
This was my first opra and I enjoyed it. It was different from any musical or performance I've ever seen before but in a good way. I liked the fact that the entire thing was sung in Italian it mad it fun trying to guess or what the words they were saying meet and then looking at the super text to confirm if I was right or not. But my favorite part of the whole performance was when adina saw nemorino dancing and happy and Lalaing and got so angry and couldn't stand it. The costumes where a great addition to the show they looked just as I imagined they would form that Time period
Unknown said…
Rachael
9th Grade
Archbishop Wood
This romantic opera was a great overall experience. The Elixir of Love was had a beautiful and very entertaining story. It was interesting and easy to follow the opera even though everything was sung in Italian. The libretto was very helpful when going over it in class. My favorite part was when the girls were all over Nemorino in the car due to the death of his uncle and all the money he would inherit. My view of the opera was fantastic because of the great seats we sat in. My favorite character was Dulcamara because I felt his part added humor and a comical aspect to the story. As a result, my first opera was a great experience.
Anonymous said…
erica
9th grade
Arch Bishop Wood
this was my first Opera and I was very excited to attend it! I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy the play because i'm not a big fan of opera singing. When I got there the stage and setting was really cool. As soon as the play started I enjoyed it right from the beginning.
I dancing and singing was amazing and I also really liked their costumes. I would definitely tell my friends and family about this play and persuade them to go see it!
Anonymous said…
Abby
Gade 8
PEPPER & SALTeens Homeschoolers

I thought The Elixir of Love was a very fun and interesting opera to attend. I love that they set the opera in post WWII Italy. It gave it an interesting history factor and made it different from other operas. I also think that the casting was great. Sarah Shafer fit the part of Adina perfectly, and I think that Belcore played his part very well and expressively. Through the duration of the opera I noticed I didn't get bored, which is not what I would initially think of when thinking about going to an opera. The crowd was so excited, which says a lot because the Academy was full of students. I thought the sets and costumes were eye-catching and very believable for the time period. The bright colors drew your eyes to the main characters, but the sets also kept your eye moving around the whole stage.

Anonymous said…
Max
Grade 8
PEPPER & SALTeens Homeschoolers

I thought the performance of The Elixir of Love was very creative and interesting. It was my first opera and I enjoyed it very much. I think I would have been more engaged in the plot (not that I wasn't) if I hadn't known what was going to happen beforehand. The conflict of the love story was entertaining and very funny. It showed that a person may not value someone until that loved one is (almost) gone.
This message is universal.

I really enjoyed the arias. My personal favorite was either Come Paride Vezzoso when Sergeant Belcore saw Adina for the first time, or Prendi Per Me Sei Libero when Adina gave back Nemorino's contract. Belcore's was just really funny, and I thought the tune as catchy and rhythmic.

The staging was phenomenal. I especially liked the car and motorcycle! I thought it was very cool when Adina wrote the Italian alphabet on the board. The only thing I wanted to let you know is that the army uniforms were wrong. I am the son of a Naval officer and know my uniforms. Despite this mistake, I still enjoyed the presence of the military men in the opera. I thought the post WWII setting made it a lot better than the original 19th-century setting.

I would recommend this performance to others. I feel very fortunate that I was able to attend and I learned so much about the opera including: the composer, the music and the history of the opera, and even the history of the Academy of Music.
The production was very well thought out and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Anonymous said…
Penelope
Grade 6
PEPPER & SALTeens Homeschoolers

The Philadelphia Opera's performance of Elixir of Love tells a dramatic story of some very interesting characters. Nemorino is a funny, lovesick man who just wants to marry Adina. He is not well educated, and he loves the fact that Adina is smart. Adina is a stubborn school teacher who gives the impression that she does not love (or even like) Nemorino. She appears to have no interest in him but will do almost anything to make him jealous. Belcore is a tough, confident, and egotistical soldier. He firmly believes that he can get any woman, especially Adina. He will not take no for an answer and sees everything as a battle. Belcore wants his rival, Nemorino, to be gone so he can finally marry Adina with no interruptions. Dr. Dulcamara will sell you anything for any price. Dr. Sells, sells, sells, then he hotfoots it out of town. Gianna is Adina's best friend and also loves the soldiers.
The music was beautiful and carried the characers and action forward. You could definitely tell in the singers' voices if they were portraying anger, confidence, sadness, drunkenness, lovesickness, or happiness. The arias were spectacular. I was very impressed with the singers who were able to reach amazing pitches with their voices. My favorite aria was "Io son riccom e tu sei bella."
They lyrics were funny and the melody was upbeat.
The opera was staged in 1945, directly after WWII. The setting has been updated because Donizetti composed the opera in the 1800s. I definitely think the change helped with the piece because it is easier to relate to a more modern time period and it allows better props. Everything was spectacular! The billboards and army uniforms were great.
I would definitely recommend The Elixir of Love to my family and friends. Even though the actior was a little slow at the beginning, the piece became more engaging as it went along. The costumes and staging were spectacular, the songs were good, and the plot was amazing. Lastly, what stood out most to me was the cast! The singers were so talented and the way they played their characters was amazing. I would really love to thank them personally.
Solhwi said…
Hi!
I am Solhwi from 6th grade of Radnor Middle School.

I went to see the Elixir of Love with my classmates, and all I can say is that I loved it. The Elixir of Love, is a classic, and I like how the set was modified from the original setting of a busy town into a rural farm county.

My favorite character would either be Nemorino, or Dulcamara. Nemorino mostly because of his determination and how nicely he describes the desperation of his character. Dulcamara mostly is the same reason, but my favorite scene, when Dulcamara tricks Nemorino into buying the Elixir of Love, was because of Dulcamara's cleverness and his foxiness(?).

I really loved this opera because of how it was displayed, with the setting, and way more. I highly recommend this opera to others, and I do hope that other people will watch this opera and enjoy it as much as I do.

Thank You,
for all the hard work put into this opera to make it very enjoyable for everyone.
Nicholas 6th grade Radnor Middle School said…
The Elixir of love is the best opera i have ever seen. My favorite character is nemriono because he is nice and friendly even though he is rejected. my favorite part is the ending when everyone is happy. The only thing i would change is the language is English and not Italian.
Anonymous said…
Vera
Grade 6
Radnor Middle School

I personally very much enjoyed the opera, The Elixir of Love. I thought the acting of all the actors were spectacular, especially given the extra limitations of having to sing opera at the same time. I would like to give special applause to the actors who played Adina and Nemorino who were fantastic playing the main characters; both put so much emotion into their lines that you could really feel how they felt. However there is no denial that all the actors contributed much to this production
I also found the time period interesting, giving the opera a touch of history to it. My favorite part was probably when Nemorino came into town after drinking the elixir and all the girls in town swarmed around him. Overall the opera was well made with comedy, romance and of course a touch of "magic".
Anonymous said…
Molly
6th Grade
Radnor Middle School
The Performance of The Elixir of Love was fantastic. It was very interesting to watch and even though it was in a different language it was still very entertaining and exciting. The actors got very into character and portrayed their character very well. The stage props were also amazing. This was the first opera I had ever been to and it was very fun and entertaining. It was also cool that the setting was in post WWII and the props helped to really create the setting and create the mood. The singing was amazing and every ones voices were strong, loud, and clear.
Katniss24 said…
Sara
6th Grade
Radnor Middle School

I really enjoyed this the Opera. Even though some times couldn't understand her Italian, because I'm bilingual, but i really did enjoy it.
I would recommend it to the whole world, if i could.
I would love to come and watch it again and see the whole thing over again, but paying a little more attention this time. I did see the whole thing except for some parts.
The singing was amazing and i loved listening to it.
I hope that all of the actors had fun too and i hope that they continue being actors for the Opera.
Anonymous said…
Ali
Grade 6
Radnor Middle School

I liked how the characters expressed themselves through their face expressions which helped a lot with understanding them and the story. Also the sets and costumes were very creative and helped enhance the story. The opera was very entertaining and the actors voices were very beautiful and their voices helped with their face expressions. Also the story was very easy to follow.
Unknown said…
Sofia
Grade 6
Radnor Middle School
It was pretty interesting. Some parts were slow but it was overall great. I liked the acting ex: When someone tried to steal a bottle of elixir the officer pulled the man back and hurt him. I know that he wasn't really hurt but it looked real. My favorite song was when Adina was teaching and everyone sits and asks questions and talks to her. It was interesting when all the girls heard Nemorino turned rich.
Anonymous said…
I thought the opera was really cool because it was my first one. The singing was amazing! The good thing was that even though it was about 3 hours, it was still entertaining and I almost never got bored. Also, the props and stage backgrounds were very cool, especially the car.
Lucy
Radnor Middle School
Grade 6
Anonymous said…
Rina
Grade:6th
Radnor Middle School

I loved the plot of Elixir of Love. It was my first time seeing an opera and the first time at Opera Philadelphia. It's layout was very interesting and thank you so much for making this experience wonderful for me!

I loved the whole story but the music that goes with the character who is singing matched so much with the characters' personality and the orchestra was wonderful. The song was very entertaining as well as some very dramatic parts. Having a experience like this was so much fun for me!

Even though having a play that is all singing and in a different language was a huge experience that I enjoyed. The cast was wonderful at telling the story as they're singing.

I would love to go to another play at Opera Philadelphia again.
I would recommend to other people about seeing a play at Opera Philadelphia.
Again, thank you so much for making this experience a memorable event for me!
Anonymous said…
Amasha W.
Radnor Middle School
Grade 6
The Elixir of Love was my first opera and I thought the play was great but it was a bit hard to watch and read the subtitles at the same time and the subtitles weren't always on time but it isn't a real problem. The cast, singing, music, and costumes fit the time period well and the play was impressive. I enjoyed it a lot and think others would too because the emotion was visible and it was well made, the script and everything.
Anonymous said…
A Girl from Radnor Middle School
Surprisingly, I really did like the Elixir of Love. I didn't like opera before, but this performance was very interesting and exciting. I was excited to see what happened when Nemorino drank the potion and what would happen to the Sergeant Belcore and Dr. Dulcamara. The voices were beautiful no matter who it was I could hear + see that everyone on stage was singing very fluently.
This was a great opportunity to see this because many people don’t even have the chance to see this and my classmates and I were very lucky.
one negative comment was I wish the language was English, not Italian, but at least there were subtitles.
Awesome show! I hope everyone (hopefully)gets a chance to see this amazing, fantastic and magnificent show! A very well-organized and well-thought out show!
Anonymous said…
Name:Ridhima
Grade:6
School:Radnor Middle School
I think this play was really creative and funny. One thing I really like was when all the girls were crazy about Nemerino and Adina was jealous. I think the message for this play, the moral was even the simplest things can play a big role. What I mean by this is Adina that Nemerino was just somebody that she shouldn't take interest in. So Nemerino was the simple thing. Adina fell for someone who didn't really care about Adina, just about her beauty. On the other hand Nemrino loved Adina deeply and he cared about her but not just for her beauty. Nemerino was simple but he did play a really big role in this play. I was really lucky to see a great play like this. I thought this play could be revised a little bit, like change some boring parts. But, I think that even though this was my very first opera.I think this play was really easy to follow and easy to understand. I could see what was happening and understood everything that they talked about. So, over all I think this play was great and I would recommend it to anyone.
Anonymous said…
Erin Tobias
Radnor Middle School
Grade 6
April 26, 2018

Carmen Review
When going to see an opera, I expected the usually standing still and singing high opera performance in movies or TV shows. Carmen completely changed my expectations by a mile. The characters moved and acted while they were singing and they still sung beautifully. I found that completely amazing because having to sing in a certain tone and language is hard enough without having to move around and act. Also, the story was like non other I had ever known before. It was a story that was almost impossible to get lost in. The music was also amazing and perfectly placed with the singers voices. The orchestra performed beautifully and matched with the singers voices amazingly. Next, I thought that the fact that the crew completely changed the set and props of the stage in 15-20 minutes amazing. When I went home after the opera, I told my parents that it was a fantastic opera and I 100% suggest seeing it. Carmen was one of the best first opera’s to see because it was not a hard story to understand and even though it was in French, the music was beautiful and there was a screen above the stage that had the words in English. Carmen was a beautifully performed opera and one of the best I have ever known.

Anonymous said…
Quinn Gaffney Carmen Blog Radnor middle school In my opinion I did not enjoy the opera because I thought that the opera was way too long way too long and it was in a different language. There was a board on the top that said what there were singing but there was a pole that blocked a lot of our views. Also they were kind of yelling. There was an unpleasant scene at the end of act 2. The story was very good I would definitely go see Carmen if it was a play. The seats that we sat in weren’t that good because there was pole there and you could only see half of the stage so everything else you had to kind of infer. I somewhat enjoyed it and I give it 3 stars.
Anonymous said…
Quinn Gaffney Carmen Blog Radnor middle school In my opinion I did not enjoy the opera because I thought that the opera was way too long way too long and it was in a different language. There was a board on the top that said what there were singing but there was a pole that blocked a lot of our views. Also they were kind of yelling. There was an unpleasant scene at the end of act 2. The story was very good I would definitely go see Carmen if it was a play. The seats that we sat in weren’t that good because there was pole there and you could only see half of the stage so everything else you had to kind of infer. I somewhat enjoyed it and I give it 3 stars.

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...