Students in the Opera Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw Higdon/Sheer's Cold Mountain at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia on February 3, 2016.
A love to move mountains
Fatigued by the horrors of the Civil War, deserter W.P. Inman foots the arduous terrain of North Carolina toward home and the salve of his love, Ada Monroe, herself transformed by his absence. Once a Southern lady of privilege, Ada adapts to years of profound deprivation thanks to a resourceful new friend, Ruby. Inman’s odyssey home is plagued by not only the Home Guard’s marshals, but a more gruesome possibility: has the war’s violence withered his human capacity to love? And further, what truly makes a man a human?
Participating students are encouraged to share their thoughts on the opera by posting their reviews here. All reviews, positive and negative, will be accepted, just make sure to include your:
- FIRST NAME
- GRADE
- SCHOOL
Don't forget to support your opinion in 50 words or more!
Thanks!

Comments
11
FSS
I LOVED THE SET. It was so stunning that I will remember it for years to come. I did not, however, like how long it ran. It was much too long at 3 hours give or take, and the seating was way too small. My knees were being crushed the entire time! But I liked the music, and I might return if I have legroom.
There were several things I did and didn't like. I loved the costumes, especially Ada's dresses. The lighting and set were awesome. I liked the starry sky and the snow scene. The opera overall was very long with not many plot twists. There was very little leg room and it was very hot. But the opera was engaging. I think there were a few unnecessary lines. I also was surprised on how evrey single thing was sung. Overall, I think that the opera in general is no my cup of tea
Overall, my experience at the opera was enjoyable. The story, though very long, was exciting. Some scenes felt like they dragged on or were unnecessary to the story. The sets were beautiful and extremely interesting to look at. I loved how scenes took place on different levels of the stage. It added another dimension of intrigue to the opera. The twist at the end got everyone's attention, but the real ending was a nice way to ease out of the excitement.
The stage was very creative and beautifully designed. My favorite character was Ruby. I loved her beautiful voice and her acting and her characteristic as a human. I liked her because through out the show, she never left her friend behind. She was always there for her. I loved it when she wore man's clothes and went out for shooting. My favorite scene was the last scene when the kid kills Inman. It was very horrifying, shocking and also interesting at the same time.
11
Friends select school
I liked that they had some action in the history, like the gunshots, but also fights. My favorite character was Inman it self because he tried to do good things and he was courageous enough to save the woman. Another thing I like about this theater is how this people were dressed and they way they talked to each other.
11
Friends select school
I liked that they had some action in the history, like the gunshots, but also fights. My favorite character was Inman it self because he tried to do good things and he was courageous enough to save the woman. Another thing I like about this theater is how this people were dressed and they way they talked to each other.
10 Friends Select
Great opera, fabulous show! Though I didn't understand some parts of it because of the singing. It was really hard to pay attention to supertitles while focusing on the opera. Too much singing during the show I have to say. If there is fewer songs involved, I guess that would make the whole opera more understandable and compelling.
The ending was magnificent, no one anticipated that. It was such a tragedy, but also quite a good surprise for all of the audience.
It was really hot in the theatre, and the seats were so small that we couldn't even stretch our legs comfortably.
In general, it was a good show and i enjoyed it. Even if there were trivial flaws.
9th
FFS
I didn't enjoy nor dislike this opera. I thought of it as a lackluster affair. To start off the opera I think was too long. At times some parts seemed unclear and the singing at some points seemed unnecessary. Besides the fact that the civil war did not interest me, I liked it. The use of sound and lighting effects was phenomenal. I also liked the use of the stage, I had never seen a stage used in such a way. To top it off I think it would be enjoyable to someone who is interested in the american civil war.
11th
Chartertech HS for the Performing Arts
The beauty of opera and how intense it often becomes throughout the acts are amazing, the pervious operas i've been given the opportunity to have seen has never given me any disappointment. Cold Mountain, being my first time seeing a English opera was a complete excitement. The plot and story telling could had never been as great as it was, a few jumps off the seat and a few tears. As for the continuous begun, i found the cast giving a magnificent performance. As for the plot twist in the ending of the opera really left me stunned, the main character a man who tried every way to life to find his way back to his beloved Ada, shot by young boy really left me with no words. The music for a few did not carry the action forward and had lost me just a few times throughout the opera, a voice that grasp my attention was Ada, but one that was overpowering Ada had been Ruby. The staging and the costumes did tie in together as for they all engaged more into each scene. The setting and they way the year and the places would show up on stage was nice as well. Overall, i did enjoy the opera but wished that there would've been a few more areas in which the scenes were more dramatic.
11th
Chartertech HS for the Performing Arts
The beauty of opera and how intense it often becomes throughout the acts are amazing, the pervious operas i've been given the opportunity to have seen has never given me any disappointment. Cold Mountain, being my first time seeing a English opera was a complete excitement. The plot and story telling could had never been as great as it was, a few jumps off the seat and a few tears. As for the continuous begun, i found the cast giving a magnificent performance. As for the plot twist in the ending of the opera really left me stunned, the main character a man who tried every way to life to find his way back to his beloved Ada, shot by young boy really left me with no words. The music for a few did not carry the action forward and had lost me just a few times throughout the opera, a voice that grasp my attention was Ada, but one that was overpowering Ada had been Ruby. The staging and the costumes did tie in together as for they all engaged more into each scene. The setting and they way the year and the places would show up on stage was nice as well. Overall, i did enjoy the opera but wished that there would've been a few more areas in which the scenes were more dramatic.
Grade 10
Charter Tech High school for the Performing Arts
The opera Cold Mountain was very good. I loved all the actors and actresses in the opera. My favorite characters were Inman and Ruby. I really loved all the lighting, and the staging.I really loved the moving part in the middle of the stage. I personally connected with Ruby the most because she is a hard worker. Hands down, this was the best opera Iv'e ever seen. The study guide was wonderful because of the libretto. Reading the parts helped me understand the characters more. We also watched Works & Process at the Guggenheim. Jarrett Ott who played Inman was an amazing actor and singer. The music was marvelous. There was a percussion instrument that I really loved hearing. Also, the special effects for the stars and moon were awesome. I would definitely see this opera again.
11th Grade
Chartertech HS for the Performing Arts
This opera was amazing. I love the set of the broken wood hanging down from the ceiling and the dirt that was everywhere. It all looked very realistic. The music matched every plot. At some points I wasn't engaged into the opera because some parts, I feel were dragged out too long so it became a little boring but overall it was really good. I love the effects, my favorite was the stars with the moon. It was so beautiful, it definitely made me feel like I was in the scene with them.
10th Grade
Chartertech HS of the Performing Arts
In the beginning of this opera, I didn't know anything about it until I read the libretto. My Vocal Class read the acts and read it out loud. Mrs. Green, my teacher, explained what some words meant and what goes on in the Opera. My classmates and I did funny accents as we read out loud and made some jokes about it. We were all dramatic about it. We all understood the background knowledge of this opera, which made it easier to follow when we went to see it. When we all read the libretto, in my mind I thought, "Oh, this is played by black people. It's country a little; a lot of action is going to go down; and a lot of laughter." I was very shocked that they used the actual 'n' word in the opera. I was taken aback and shocked. We got inside scopes of what went on,because our teacher talked with some of the people that are in the opera. We all love the inside scopes and enjoyed it. The funny thing was that when we watched the videos of everyone just singing their part, we all saw Jarret Ott. Jarret Ott played in La Traviata as the Marchese and we all loved him in Flora's Party. So we were all very excited and thought that he was going to play Inman, but she told us it's Nathan Gunn that will be playing Inman. But then Mrs. Green told us Nathan Gunn is not playing in it anymore and that Jarret Ott is taking his role the next day. I was shocked, we all jixed it.
At the Opera, I absolutely did not like sitting in the heavens. I got really dizzy, hot, and felt like i couldn't breathe. It felt like I was on a plane also, so I started to drift off a bit from how high we were. It had a nice view, you can see everything from up. When I moved seats, it was better but I could not see the left part of the stage. The lighting for Cold Mountain was all over the place, just a little. The lighting on stage made everything feel real, along with the sound effects. I think the lighting should've been more darker for when the cast had to find their way off stage, because I saw them move away and leave. The lighting for the star effect was all over the theater and super pretty. The sound effects with the guns, were loud and scared me. I didn't mind the gun shots, it made it all dramatic. The orchestra was on point. I loved the strings in it and it really soothed me. It was really nice and enjoying. I tuned the other instruments out just to listen to the strings play. I picked out which string instrument was playing. The actors and actresses were good. I connected with Ada and Ruby with their friendship blooming. I liked how they taught each other things and how they looked out for each other. They always had each other's back and immediate trust each other when they first met.
11th
Charte-Tech High School for the performing arts
This opera turned out a lot better then I intended. There were a couple flaws I personally saw in the opera. When we read the libretto, and everything that happened in each scene the dialogue seemed to lack something. It did not seem necessary to have curse words mixed into the scenes, and there was some colorful wordings that my classmates and I did not feel comfortable saying outloud. Besides some of these flaws the opera was amazing. This specific one took opera to a new level with the exciting effects, and the effects in the music. When we were reading in class I wondered how it would be possible to make these effects appear realisticy enough to the eyes. Although the lighting with the stars did get in my eyes, and many others as well.
The storyline was very well thought out. The ending is not expected at first. When first reading this, I knew operas always have one of the lovers die, but I thought this might be the first one to have them end up together. Until you reach the very end. Seeing it in person from reading it built so much suspense. Along with the music that created that mood as well. During some parts in the opera the violas created effects in certain scenes, to build up suspense or create more liveliness and focus to a specific part of the character. Overall this opera had a lot of great moments, and some moment that were not as good as other. My favorite part of the entire opera was when everyone came out saying what Inman should tell Ada about, and the stars with the moon. I'm very happy I got the chance to see this new opera, and given the chance to write a review of my thoughts.
10th Grade
Chartertech HS of the Performing Arts
The plot of Cold Mountain was simplistic, and easy to follow. It was quite an enjoyable adventure, and the personalities of each character was very unique and added an interesting core to the show. The travels of W.P. Inman and the progression of Ada's strength as a woman alongside Ruby really made the reunion of Ada and Inman towards the end. This buildup over the opera really allowed for an interesting plot.
The music was honestly my favorite part of this opera. It perfectly captured and replicated both the atmosphere of the situation, and the personality and movement of the characters. The certain instruments in certain situations to help build suspense were the best, keeping you on edge for what was to come, and just hearing the rattling and shaking from the orchestra allowed for a entertaining and enthralling experience. In terms of the voices, I must say that the opera being in English didn't have a big impact on me. It's not that it was bad, it just didn't feel right. However, the parts with the chorus were simply amazing, and along with the glorious effects, really pulled me in.
The staging was very impressive and beautiful. The stage was the same throughout the entire opera, but the lighting and staging, set alongside with the effects allowed for the show to be a lot more diverse, and kept things very interesting. From the stars that engulfed the theater, to the doves that flew among the stage, this show definitely impressed me when it came to the effects.
The story of Cold Mountain occurs during 1864, right after the events of the Civil War, and the effects of the show even indicate what time period we were in. Like being said before, the set stayed the same throughout the entirety of the show, but it works. The wooden planks, and dirt, along with the landscaping works for every scenario in the opera. The war scenarios, the farm setting on Cold Mountain, and even the storm scene with Inman and Veasey's getaway worked impeccably, all thanks to the magnificent lighting.
In my opinion, Cold Mountain was an enjoyable opera, and had a very eye-grabbing pull to it. Even the seats up in the heavens made was enjoyable for this opera, due to the superb behind the scenes work. My only note for this opera, was the language. Had this opera been in Italian, this might have been an outstanding experience. However, overall, the show was enjoyable, and was very worth going to.
12th Grade
Charter Tech High School for the Performing Arts
Cold Mountain was an exciting opera to see and a great experience. Before seeing the opera, my classmates and I read the libretto. Reading the libretto was very useful because we got to know more about the opera. The performance told the story dramatically and I was partially engaged in the plot. The music carried the characters and actions forward successfully. The music helped explain what was going on between the characters.
My favorite character was Ruby. She was a person who showed strength and gained knowledge from her past experiences. My second favorite character was Inman. After meeting Ada, he did everything he could to be with her. Fate had other plans and I was shocked that the kid killed him. I stood there in silence and could not believed what had just happened.
The opera itself was great but it felt dragged out. The story could have been told in a lesser amount of time. There were too many events and not enough focus on the story itself. I had a hard time trying to fully understand what was going on in some scenes.
The set did not match my expectations. I expected the set to have more war-like scenery. The wood set was nice but it did not match the image in my mind. The costumes allowed the audience to visualize what people wore at that time. Overall, the costumes were a great representation. The special effects were amazing! I loved the stars, moon, rain and snow. The gunshots were awakening. The special effects were like the cherry on top of an ice-cream sundae.
After seeing the performance, I would recommend it to my family and friends. The story was dramatically told by the performance and the music carried the actions forward. It may have been a long opera but it was worth seeing. Characters like Ruby and Inman is what kept me interested throughout the opera. The plot twist towards the end was definitely something to look forward to. I am glad I came to watch this opera and had a great experience.
12th Grade
Chartertech HS for the Performing Arts
Before I went to go see Cold Mountain, my vocal class studied the opera a week before we even went to go see it. My teacher wanted us to make sure we knew information about the opera and what the opera was about. We read the opera using the libretto to help us get to know the characters and who plays what part in the opera. The day of the opera we had really high seats which was very scary because by walking down the stairs or even standing up it felt like i was going to fall forward. Later on after the first intermission, a couple of our seats were moved to a lower level which made everything much better.
When Cold Mountain started it was very hard to concentrate when our seats were very high. I felt like i had to slouch so I wouldn't feel like I'm going forward. It was nice though to see the chandelier, painting, and statues from up close. During the opera, I liked how they set up the broken pieces of wood and how the projector showed all the different seasons/weather.I never saw a projector projected so nice in my life.
I love how the stars and moon at night went out into the audience, it made me feel like i was there. I liked how it showed the year and place onto the wood, it fitted perfectly nice for everyone to see at all angles of their seating. It was very scary when the cast had to walk high up on the pieces of wood. I was afraid they were going to fall, especially when there was fighting involved and falling everywhere on stage. When I was in the seats at the very top, I couldn't really see the difference between the cast until i sat down on a lower floor of seats i could see who was singing/playing their part.
I really liked the orchestra of Cold Mountain. It was very unique compared to the other operas I've seen in Opera Philadelphia. I liked how the sound effects went with the emotions of the scene. When the cast used their weapons, it was impressive on how real it sounded and looked. There was a point where the cast was shooting everywhere and it was very loud but worth watching! It was like an action movie come to life.
Overall, the play was good I just wished they had more props and more bright lighting in the opera. The projector made the scenes look more realistic and kept everything organized when it switched to different weathers. The cast were good at singing and playing their parts which made Cold Mountain even better.
Senior
Arcadia University
Attending this opera was a fantastic experience overall. Seeing the show, being in the opera house, and experiencing the singing and the acting is all a cultural experience. I love how the set stayed consistent throughout, yet it fit whatever scene was taking place. It always felt how it was supposed too, whether the characters were inside or outside. The subtitles were very helpful, in that it gave me a way to feel apart of the show as opposed to just listening or watching. They helped me to understand what was being sung and really kept me interested. Of course the singing and acting was phenomenal and i am very lucky to have received this experience.
Senior
Arcadia University
First off, I really wish I brought snacks. It also would have been nice if they had a concession stand to deal with my hungry stomach eating itself issue during intercession. Besides that however, I believe this opera was composed very uniquely and beautifully. I found it interesting how Jennifer Higdon chose to have several different styles of music behind each character. The music often clashed as the characters would come together, which I personally found unpleasant to the ear, but beautiful behind the aspect. In addition, the orchestra was well conducted and did an amazing job in terms of making me feel attached to the characters through the music. The set was amazing and perfectly depicted the state of the war as well as the suffering all of the characters were undergoing. Well done!
First year Undergraduate
Arcadia University
When I was first introduced to Cold Mountain, I had never heard of the opera before. I was open to the experience having prior enjoyed several other Broadway shows and musical theater productions. Overall, I was very happy to have had this experience. I enjoyed the concept of the opera and the whole performance was well done. The plot and characters gave a more personal account of the civil war and really brought me back to that time period emotionally.The music and voice performances also carried the plot well and allowed me to emotionally connect with the story and the characters. I was impressed by the orchestra, by the ways in which they were able to convey sounds of nature and raw emotion in their performance.
I was also impressed by the set, in the way it conveyed so much about the opera in a physical and metaphorical way. It showed the destruction that was physically surrounding the characters, as well as the destruction of their lives from the war. I was also impressed by how it was able to be used scene after scene in different scenarios. It was used as a farm, a boat, a home, and a war-scene. It worked efficiently throughout all of these sets.
My opinion of this opera and performance is overall positive. My only complaints are that some scenes did seem to drag on a bit, leading the opera to feel a bit extensive to some people that are not used to those types of shows. The seating was also uncomfortable and I had to lean over the rail the whole time to see what was going on. Other than those minor negativities, I would recommend this opera to friends and family that are interested in the musical theater.
Freshman
Arcadia University
There are many aspects of the Opera that I enjoyed and did not like. One of the qualities of the show that resonated with me the most was the intricate use of the set design. It was almost like the set itself was a character in the opera in the ways that it moved alongside the actors and reacted when needed. It created certain moods and tones when its purpose transformed from a bedroom, to a farm, and to a church. It was visually pleasing and I appreciated the added layer of artistic detail Higgins included in her work.
Another aspect of the opera that allowed me to enjoy my time was the costume design. When reviewing the student guide my class and I noticed hoe much research and effort was put into creating tailored ensembles that actually reflected the era that the characters are portraying. Not only were the costumes coherent with time but the quick changes were amazing because they show how the actors were prepared and skilled at what they do.
The lighting effects allowed me to feel fully engaged with the opera whether I realized it or not. The light was used to create rain, fire, and even stars. I felt like I was transported to a different time full of nature and terrain.
The seating was not the most comfortable or efficient because I had to lean over the rail which was very dangerous on my behalf. The way that the music and the singing did not fit together rhythmically was not pleasing either. Not serving concessions during intermission made me irritable during the second act.
Overall, the opera was a success. I hope to see more operas in Philly soon.
Arcadia University
Freshman
I wasn't very sure of what to expect from an opera, but I was pleasantly surprised. For the most part, this opera was very enjoyable. While seating wasn't preferable, I could see the set and orchestra from a different angle. The music was really good, and I personally loved the mens' pieces most, especially Our Beautiful Country. I also liked the lighting sequences that occurred. From our seats, the star lighting looked really beautiful against the architecture inside. I also liked the costumes, and the plot was very engaging. I would recommend this performance to others. Thank you for a wonderful show!
Sophomore at Arcadia University
I'll admit I was a little bit wary when I first heard my class was going to be attending an opera. I originally thought it would be something like a musical, singing and dancing and talking. So when I found out it was all sung, it was a bit of a shock for me even though I knew deep down that's what it was. Not to mention, the idea of a historical setting kind of threw me off. I will admit though that I was pleasantly surprised with the overall outcome of the performance, The lighting, sounds, and simplicity in the set design really helped enhance the overall performance of the piece.
I'm a huge geek when it comes to theater, so I was a little disappointed when I found out our seats were changed due to teching circumstances, but I completely understood. I didn't really get to see the whole stage which was a bit upsetting, but from what I did get to see it was fantastic.
I really enjoyed the realistic, on-stage gunshots. I think actually seeing the kick back and smoke rise from the gun allowed the audience to be drawn into the action itself. It helped draw us in to make us a part of it. And I really enjoyed the simplicity of the light design. I think, especially with the time period of the piece, it played as though it were outdoor lighting or the use of lanterns to light up the areas on stage. The set was also very simple, but it allowed the audience to use their imagination to help them build the scene. It's like when they tell you to write a story: give them 2 + 2, not 4. And I really think that was a strong choice in the end.
I think it's safe to say that I enjoyed the entirety of the performance. The choices that the design and production teams came up with were absolutely incredible.
Sophomore at Arcadia University
I'll admit I was a little bit wary when I first heard my class was going to be attending an opera. I originally thought it would be something like a musical, singing and dancing and talking. So when I found out it was all sung, it was a bit of a shock for me even though I knew deep down that's what it was. Not to mention, the idea of a historical setting kind of threw me off. I will admit though that I was pleasantly surprised with the overall outcome of the performance, The lighting, sounds, and simplicity in the set design really helped enhance the overall performance of the piece.
I'm a huge geek when it comes to theater, so I was a little disappointed when I found out our seats were changed due to teching circumstances, but I completely understood. I didn't really get to see the whole stage which was a bit upsetting, but from what I did get to see it was fantastic.
I really enjoyed the realistic, on-stage gunshots. I think actually seeing the kick back and smoke rise from the gun allowed the audience to be drawn into the action itself. It helped draw us in to make us a part of it. And I really enjoyed the simplicity of the light design. I think, especially with the time period of the piece, it played as though it were outdoor lighting or the use of lanterns to light up the areas on stage. The set was also very simple, but it allowed the audience to use their imagination to help them build the scene. It's like when they tell you to write a story: give them 2 + 2, not 4. And I really think that was a strong choice in the end.
I think it's safe to say that I enjoyed the entirety of the performance. The choices that the design and production teams came up with were absolutely incredible.
Sophomore at Arcadia University
I'll admit I was a little bit wary when I first heard my class was going to be attending an opera. I originally thought it would be something like a musical, singing and dancing and talking. So when I found out it was all sung, it was a bit of a shock for me even though I knew deep down that's what it was. Not to mention, the idea of a historical setting kind of threw me off. I will admit though that I was pleasantly surprised with the overall outcome of the performance, The lighting, sounds, and simplicity in the set design really helped enhance the overall performance of the piece.
I'm a huge geek when it comes to theater, so I was a little disappointed when I found out our seats were changed due to teching circumstances, but I completely understood. I didn't really get to see the whole stage which was a bit upsetting, but from what I did get to see it was fantastic.
I really enjoyed the realistic, on-stage gunshots. I think actually seeing the kick back and smoke rise from the gun allowed the audience to be drawn into the action itself. It helped draw us in to make us a part of it. And I really enjoyed the simplicity of the light design. I think, especially with the time period of the piece, it played as though it were outdoor lighting or the use of lanterns to light up the areas on stage. The set was also very simple, but it allowed the audience to use their imagination to help them build the scene. It's like when they tell you to write a story: give them 2 + 2, not 4. And I really think that was a strong choice in the end.
I think it's safe to say that I enjoyed the entirety of the performance. The choices that the design and production teams came up with were absolutely incredible.
12th
Charter Tech For The Performing Arts
The opera show was very interesting, it made me keep a close look more on the characters. Overall I had a very good time during and prior to show. I feel more aware now. The best part about is I could understand every single word. The diction was excellent. A lot humor was developed throughout the show.
In other words it was completely a nice atmosphere, I like the fact that I was able to get a bite to eat until the show started. Although the food was a little too pricey even though I still enjoyed the food after all. I will recommend anyone who has not seen any the shows from this theater. The only constructive criticism I have for this particular occasion is my seating. I was offered a chance to switch my seat because I felt uncomfortable. The story line was definitely easy to follow. The man had a very dept character. The ending was the most creative part that turned into a traumatic event.
Sophomore at Arcadia University
The opera was better than I thought it would be. My expectation was that of an opera where everyone was overly dramatic and I would understand very little of what was being sung. I thought that I would lose interest, but on the contrary I was completely engaged through the entire opera. One of the reasons for my undivided attention was the amazing orchestra that accompanied the performers. The way that the different instruments, that were used for each character, were intertwined when the different characters sang together was flawless. The voices of all the performers blended so well, and my favorite part was when the entire ensemble of men sang together. I can certainly tell that the orchestra and performers worked extremely hard together in order to make the opera as clean as it was. The set construction was perfect and the multiple uses for it were very creative. I would definitely recommend this opera to people and I look forward to seeing other operas in the future.
Sophomore at Arcadia University
The opera was better than I thought it would be. My expectation was that of an opera where everyone was overly dramatic and I would understand very little of what was being sung. I thought that I would lose interest, but on the contrary I was completely engaged through the entire opera. One of the reasons for my undivided attention was the amazing orchestra that accompanied the performers. The way that the different instruments, that were used for each character, were intertwined when the different characters sang together was flawless. The voices of all the performers blended so well, and my favorite part was when the entire ensemble of men sang together. I can certainly tell that the orchestra and performers worked extremely hard together in order to make the opera as clean as it was. The set construction was perfect and the multiple uses for it were very creative. I would definitely recommend this opera to people and I look forward to seeing other operas in the future.
11th
Science Leadership Academy @Beeber
I enjoyed this show and thought it was very clever the way Greek mythology was linked to American history. The odyssey in the setting and time period of the civil war, I would've never thought to link the two and create something out of it
11th grade
Science Leadership Academy @ Beeber
I enjoyed the opera, Cold Mountain. Visiting the opera changed my view of operas. At first, I thought operas were all just loud singing and in foreign languages. However, going to this opera inspired me to visit more operas. I would really enjoy another opportunity like this. Cold Mountain was great!
11th
Science Leadership Academy @ Beeber
I think the opera was very entertaining; even though we only saw a dress rehearsal I think the performance was already engaging, and I can only imagine how much better the final performance is. The prompter above the action displaying the dialogue was a good aid for me, as this was my first opera, and the play itself was an interesting story. The narrative was a surprisingly mature and deep one, and I enjoyed following the story of the lovers in their struggle. My experience was a good one. I'm not a particularly big fan of the opera, but the writing in this performance was definitely one I could enjoy, and as such I'd recommend this to anyone who is actually engaged in this form of storytelling.
Grade 7
Saint Mary Interparochial School
When first hearing my school would be attending the opera, I was not excited. It seemed like it would be a boring trip. I was not excited or happy about hearing someone sing out an entire play but to make it even harder, it was in another language! But soon as we arrived, I had a different opinion. The setting was beautifully designed, the characters had astonishing voices, and the story was nicely played out. We had received opera playbooks with the script in English so it was easier to understand and follow along throughout. My favorite character was Gianetta, Adina’s best friend. She was very loyal towards Adina and always had her back. My favorite scene in the opera was when Nemorino received the love potion from the doctor Dulcamara. The scene was very upbeat and fun to listen to. After seeing the opera, I went home and told my parents. It was a good experience to bond with my mom, who speaks Italian and after showing her the playbook, she could translate some scenes for me. As someone who is and knows Italian, it was easy for me to understand some scenes since I knew a few words in the language. Overall, the opera was better than I expected.
Grade 6
School: Radnor Middle School
When first hearing about the "Elixir of Love", and up until we entered the Philadelphia Opera building, I kept thinking that going to the opera was a waste of time, and that there was literally nothing enjoyable about going to an opera. On top of that, it was in Italian, so I thought all I would be doing was reading the captions the whole time, and miss what was happening on stage. My whole perspective changed the second I saw all the singers and actors and how they're facial expressions made one feel as though they knew exactly what they were saying even though it was in Italian. Going to the opera was an experience that I completely underestimated before going on the trip, and this trip has taught me to go into everything with an open mind. The "Elixir of Love" was an eye opening performance to me, and I would go back ANY day to see the same opera or another one again.
Madeleine
The set was really amazing. It even had a car! The costumes looked like they came from the exact right time period. The story was interesting and easy to follow. I thought it would be boring and uninteresting but I had a lot of fun. The voices were really outstanding and you could tell that everyone practiced hard because everything was in unison, I would never have been able to remember all those lines.
Chartertech High School for the Performing Arts
Grade 10
The Magic Flute was probably one of the best and most interesting operas I have ever seen. And not only did I see it, I felt it. It was so different from others that I have seen. I thought the set was simplistic, but not in a bad way. Usually there are huge sets with crazy detail, but I think The Magic Flute didn’t even need that. The way the spinning doors, animation, and performers blended together was just incredible.
The animation projected onto the set was such a smart idea. Throughout the show, I was getting Tim Burton kind of vibes from the animation. And even better is how the characters were able to move with it so flawlessly. Especially the Queen of the Night with her spider legs. I also love the cat that was always with Papageno. They were definitely my favorite characters.
Out of the whole show, the Queen of the Night had the most surprising voice. Olga Pudova’s voice definitely fit the part. Another voice that I loved was Ashley Robillard. Papagena was an amazing part. Speaking of singing, I had the honor of singing with T-Voce before the show started. Practicing with other great singers and learning the dance was such an incredible experience. The stage is always the most comfortable place for me to be, and just performing in front of my fellow peers was just breathtaking. I really enjoyed The Magic Flute and I can’t wait to come back.