Skip to main content

La traviata Student Reviews



Students in the Opera Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw Verdi's La traviata at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia on September 30, 2015. 

Short-lived love


In Verdi’s classic work, Parisian courtesan Violetta surrenders her last hope of personal happiness for the sake of her lover Alfredo’s reputation. Though she is a “fallen woman,” Verdi’s empathetic and vivid score maintains her dignity and the audience’s compassion. Daring production choices encourage modernity and tradition to collide via a golden-hued Baroque stage and a midcentury fashion sensibility. This bold setting creates a unique canvas upon which to experience an unforgettable La traviata.

Participating students are encouraged to share their thoughts on the opera by posting their reviews here. All reviews, positive and negative, will be accepted, just make sure to include your:
  • FIRST NAME
  • GRADE
  • SCHOOL
In order to be accepted onto the blog, all reviews must be at least 50 words or more.

Tell us what you liked about the story, the sets, your favorite character, or your favorite scene, and more.

Don't forget to support your opinion in 50 words or more!

Thanks!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Rikki
8th Grade
Lawrence Middle School
I had a wonderful experience at Opera Philadelphia seeing La Traviata. The actors were really loud and you can hear them clearly. Although we sat in one of the back rows we were still able to see the stage. I liked how there was subtitles above the stage. The scenery was amazing, everything looked real. This is my second opera at Opera Philadelphia and I had a great time. Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience with our school.
Anonymous said…
Lydia, 10, Villa Maria Academy High School
I thoroughly enjoyed watching La Traviata. The Opera house was beautiful as was the entire show. All of the costumes were beautiful. The talent of each of the performers was outstanding. I loved how the show began with an exciting scene, then in the second act was sad yet funny, and then the show ended with an unfortunate but also beautiful scene.
Unknown said…
Katherine
12
Villa Maria Academy (Malvern, PA)

I learned a great deal about opera as a whole and La Traviata while attending the final rehearsal. This performance was my first experience of an operatic production and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The set of La Traviata was absolutely gorgeous and the coustumes were breath-taking. Attending the opera caused me to fully appreciate what an art it is and all of the hard work that is involved in such a production.
Anonymous said…
Karina Grade 10, Springfield

I loved the artistic scenery of the opera. The scenery really brought the stage to life and pulled the audience in to each scene. The opera held my attention throughout the cascading acts. The death of Violetta was very suspenseful, even with her recurring death. I enjoyed the opera very much when seeing it, I felt as though I was living the sadness and struggle of Violetta.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
Amy
9th grade
Springfield Township High School

I enjoy the La traviata opera. My favorite character is Violetta. In the opera she is a very kind girl and for Alfredo's sake she had to give up everything. But she also left Alfredo in order to help his family. It was very interesting when they had the dance scene at Flora's party but it was rude when Alfredo through money he won in Violetta's face. I admire Violetta's sacrifice for the people she loves.
Anonymous said…
Jenny,10th grade
Villa Maria Academy High School:
This opera is fantastic! I still remember the first party part.All characters did a excellent work,It seemed like they were not perform,they were having a real party.
Thanks you for every characters ,make us have a wonderful experience!
Anonymous said…
Sarah
Grade 12
Upper Merion High School

The cast and crew of La Traviata succeeded in bringing this timeless story to life for modern audiences. The plot follows Violetta, one of France’s most popular courtesans and a victim of tuberculosis, as she sparks a romance with a young nobleman named Alfredo. Unfortunately, her social status and illness present unforeseen obstacles to their relationship, dooming their love. The opera explores the profound human themes of passion, family, and sacrifice.

La Traviata’s talented cast proved its greatest advantage. Each of the characters seemed well suited to their role, especially in the case of Violetta and Alfredo. Luisette Oropresa’s portrayal of Violetta was musically flawlessly, with exemplary vocal control and range, as well as emotionally charged. Oropresa added to Violetta’s complexity, portraying her as neither an immoral temptress nor flawless saint. The audience could relate to her as an imperfect human being instead of only as the archetypal fallen woman. Alek Shrader, the tenor who played Alfredo, delivered an equally outstanding performance. The audience became immersed in their romantic chemistry, especially during their beautiful duets.

The opera’s impressive and richly symbolic scenery played integral role in its success. The mismatched gilded paneling in the backdrop of several scenes reminded the audience of Violetta’s self-motivated journey from poverty to fame and her inability to ever truly fit into the Parisian upper class. Similarly, the director’s use of progressively smaller sets in each act represented Violetta’s rapidly shortening remainder of life.

La Traviata is the perfect opera for anyone who enjoys classical music, beautiful scenery, and talented acting. However, watching the performance requires a somewhat extensive time commitment- two and a half hours- so it is not advisable to bring children under the age of ten to the performance, but the quality of the production is sure to keep more mature audiences entertained. I would also recommend researching the historical context and basic plot structure of the play before watching the performance. With this additional knowledge, it is possible to
appreciate the rich complexities of the production.
Anonymous said…
Ayla
7th grade
Lawrence Middle School:
I really enjoyed this opera. The set looked amazing, I especially loved the staircase in the first scene. Another thing I enjoyed were the costumes. The dresses were beautiful and looked as if a lot of time and effort were put into them. I found it interesting how the actors and actresses don't even need microphones, their voices carry all the way up to the highest balconies.
Anonymous said…
Kaitlyn
10th
Villa Maria Academy High School

La Traviata was a beautiful masterpiece that I was lucky to experience as my first opera. I was unsure of what to expect out of it, but I am happy to say that it exceeded my expectstions. The singing was spectacular and the acting didn't even feel like acting, it felt real. The set design and costumes immersed me into the world of the characters whose story was told. I was taken on a trip with Violetta, an unfortunate women who was willing to sacrifice everything for her love, Alfredo, and I experienced her passion, her pain, and her sorrows all while sitting in the comfort of my seat. Although not in English, the opera (in Italian), spoke a universal message that anyone could understand. Bravo to everyone who dedicated their time and abilities to this opera!
Anonymous said…
Kaitlyn
10th
Villa Maria Academy High School

La Traviata was a beautiful masterpiece that I was lucky to experience as my first opera. I was unsure of what to expect out of it, but I am happy to say that it exceeded my expectstions. The singing was spectacular and the acting didn't even feel like acting, it felt real. The set design and costumes immersed me into the world of the characters whose story was told. I was taken on a trip with Violetta, an unfortunate women who was willing to sacrifice everything for her love, Alfredo, and I experienced her passion, her pain, and her sorrows all while sitting in the comfort of my seat. Although not in English, the opera (in Italian), spoke a universal message that anyone could understand. Bravo to everyone who dedicated their time and abilities to this opera!
Anonymous said…

Imani
9th
Springfield Township High School

La Traviata was a very beautiful opera. I likes the very beginning part of the opera, when they had the stair case. The music was fantastic and would love to see it a again.
Anonymous said…
Knoll
9th
Springfield Township High School

This was my first ever opera and I have to say, it was magnificent and I just want to watch it again! Every moment and every note had me enthralled in the story. It was a beautiful experience and I only want to see it again. The only recommendation I have is to shorten some of the final songs that Violetta sang. That part seemed to drag on, and even though I loved it, I could some people were getting tired of it and just want ed it to end, but that's all I have to say. Excellent job to the people who performed and if you ever to it again I hope it was just as good, or even better, than what I saw.
Anonymous said…
Raegan
10th
Springfield Township high

La Traviata was such an amazing and beautiful piece. I have never bee to a opera show before La Traviata and I enjoyed it so much. The singing was very beautiful and I enjoyed the way the stage was set up. I really also enjoyed the dancing it made the play look very fun. I think my favorite thing about seeing the opera was the costumes I loved the girl costumes more than the boys but they were all nice. It was kind of long for me but I still really enjoyed it I had a wonderful time seeing La Traviata!
Anonymous said…
Amrutha 8th Grade Lawrence Middle School

La Traviata was a beautiful opera. I loved how it was balanced with drama, tragedy, and humor. I heard all the singers perfectly and the subtitles really helped me understand the plot. The entire time I was convinced that I was part of the scene. La Traviata made me realize that I like Operas.
Anonymous said…
Mariana Hoehl
12th
Villa Maria Academy

La Trivata was beautiful. I loved the actors, the chorus, and the orchestra. My favorite part of the entire play was that the actors did not use microphones. It really says something when the actors can project so loudly without microphones. I also loved the way the orchestra played their instruments loudly yet quiet enough to hear the lovely voices of the chorus and actors.
Anonymous said…
Saloni
Grade 12
Upper Merion Area High School

La Traviata was a very well executed opera with an intriguing plot line! While many other plays/operas are predictable in terms of the story, La Traviata was very unique. The actors were very convincing as their body language, expressions and overall stage presence were very professional and praiseworthy.

The actors had beautiful voices and were extremely talented singers as they were able to project their voices and hold high notes for long periods of time. The actress, who played Violetta, had a remarkably beautiful voice and sang the most throughout the opera. Towards the beginning, Alfredo and Violetta sang a very pretty song as they expressed their love for each other. The orchestra also played beautiful music that really enhanced the tone and overall atmosphere of the opera.

The stage props were also very aesthetically pleasing! The costumes were all very elegant, especially the ball gowns in the first scene! They really enhanced the overall look! Additionally, each and every stage set up was very pretty, whether it was Flora’s house or Violetta’s. The chairs and tables were made of gold, causing it to look grand and rich!

I really enjoyed watching this opera! I would definitely recommend my friends and family to go and check out La Traviata! It was a very enriching experience!
Anonymous said…
Chen
9th
villa maria academy

La Traviata is fantastic Opera! It is my first live opera experiment, I really love it. Thank you so much for the chance, It wii become my first opera I guess, and the Orchestra is Amazing!
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 25
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

On Wednesday, September 30th, our class went on a trip to the opera. This time, the opera just happened to be La Traviata. After the opera, our teacher decided we should each write a review. So here I am now. Telling you how I felt about La Traviata.
One of the most important parts of any play is the plot and the characters. The plot was good but was definitely a little depressing. This was because of the ending and how she dies. The characters on the other hand, were amazing. The acting was so emotional that without knowing what they were saying, I could tell what they meant. Even though all the actors were good at acting their part, there was one scene that stood out to me. It was… The Death Scene. I thought that Violetta acted amazing. I thought she was actually dying.
Sometimes, the scenes moved on by itself. But, other times, the scenes used music to move on. I think the scenes were well picked because even though there were only a couple scenes, they told a whole story. The music on the other hand, to me, was like background music. It fit well with what was going on but it didn’t interrupt the scenes so much that, instead of watching an opera, we were listening to music.
If you’re rich, you would wear better clothes. In this opera, I could tell by the clothes, who was rich and who wasn’t. For example: at the beginning during the party, Violetta wore very nice clothes. They were sparkly and they looked like they were made of silk. The other people however, wore clothes that was no match compared to Violettas. This showed me that she was richer than anyone else. The props could also tell me if someone was rich. For example: at the beginning, Violetta has a very well furnished house. But, during the death seen most of the wall has fallen down and she only has a couple rags to cover her up in bed. This shows me that she might be close to being out of money.
In this opera, the setting is in the during the 1700. This was not the setting Verdi imagined but it works well. The 1700 hundreds was a conservative time period. This helps the setting because people didn’t like courtesans. This is one reason that Germont doesn’t like Violetta. This gives the story a better Germont a better reason which definitely helps the story.
I mostly think that this is a pretty good opera. The problem is that she repeats lines way too much. This opera was 2hr and like 30 minutes long. I’m guessing that half of this opera was repeated. The best part was definitely the death scene. Violetta acted amazing.
I my opinion will be read and thought about but mostly I hope this opera can be played again!!

Anonymous said…
eVolve #6
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School


Grade 6, Bala Cynwyd Middle School, eVolve
My La Traviata Review



The main characters were Violetta is a courtesan, Alfredo is son of Germont, Germont is a wealthy man and is father of Alfredo. The conflict was that Violetta and Alfredo are in love but they can’t be together.

The wonderful duets and arias, just the music was beautiful it really brought the suspense, and action into the story. The involvement of me to the opera was strong but not completely strong.

The sets and costumes were amazing the chandeliers and the extravagant sets were in my opinion were amazing and really brought the plot and the time period alive.

The setting is in Paris 1950 at Alfredo home and Violetta’s house.
The setting also takes place at Violetta’s friend Flora’s house. The settings were very pretty.

My opinion is that it was good but not my favorite. I would recommend it to my grandmother and my Aunt but not any kids or moms, dads. I wouldn’t Recommend it to those people because I felt the ending was predictable.
Anonymous said…
Evolve 22
grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School


La traviata is an opera that talks about Violetta, a courtesan that lived in paris in the 1950s. This opera is all about power, because all of Verdi's operas were about power and control. In this opera Violetta a courtesan goes to a party and meets a man and his name is Alfredo, Alfredo and Violetta fall in love at the party and date until one day Alfredo said he wants to marry Violetta. When that happens, Germont, Alfredo's dad does not want his son Alfredo to marry Violetta because Violetta was a courtesan, and in 1950s france courtesans were respected very poorly, which made Germont think that if Alfredo married Violetta than Violetta will bring shame to their family.
The music in this opera was unbelievably good. I think that the music really carried the plot well. The way of how these people sung was amazing, all the people had just sung notes so high and so low, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.There was one part when Violetta was singing when she was lying down and she sung so loud and the notes were so correct I didn't think that Violetta was singing at all that seen. My favorite duet was probably the duet when Alfredo threw money at Violetta and everyone was beating up Alfredo because everything was just so funny and seemed so real.
The stageing in La Traviata for my opinion was amazing. The acting seemed so real especially the last scene when violetta was dying she was coughing and crying so well that i thought that Violetta was actually about to die. The costumes were also fenomenul and how violetta kept on changing into these royal blue dresses to show her wealth was a very clever idea by the director. One thing I truly thought was amazing was how they kept on changing the set into something entirely new in five minutes, just imagine how hard that probably is.
In La Traviata I really liked the setting. Verdi’s idea of making this opera in 1950’s France was very clever for multiple reasons because, in 1950’s France in the real world courtesans were treated very poorly and wanted more power, just because Verdi liked all of his operas to be about power. Paris at that time had also a really big problem with TB which causes action which is why Violetta has TB to make the end more dramatic and much more intense. When we went to see La Traviata as a class we all didn't really understand the one part where Violetta’s friend hosts a party, and all of the more violent actions happen, but then our teacher told us that in 1950’s France that all those things occurred a lot.
Overall my opinion of La traviata is, that it is a very long and interesting production that is in a different language and in a different time period. I don't think I will come to see La Traviata again with my family but I do think that I might recommend this opera to some people that understand opera a lot more than I do.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 27
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

I think the performance told the story dramatically because the actors sang/acted with such beautiful expression, thus making the plot line much more interesting and dramatic. I found that the plot of an extraordinarily wealthy courtesan with TB, who falls in love with an upper-middle class man, whose father denies her, was portrayed with such amazing acting, that it allowed the story to be much easier to follow.

In Violetta’s death scene, I found it amazing that even though she is slumped over on the bed, with an extreme lack of posture, she was still able to project her amazing voice as beautifully as ever. Also in the duet between, Violetta and Germont, I thought that the two actors had very good chemistry, and the two very different voice types went extremely well together.

Both the sets and costumes, made it that even a person who knew nothing about the story that is La Traviata, could tell that Violetta and most of the other characters were monumentally wealthy. But in the last act, it also showed that Violetta has entered the dark gloomy world, known as poverty.

The story, as adapted by the Opera Company of Philadelphia, takes place in 1950’s Paris, France, which is a conservative time. Verdi originally wanted the story to take place in the mid nineteenth century (1800’s) but was persuaded by government censors to change the time period to when King Louis XIV ruled France (beginning of the eighteenth century). Since all three of those time periods were conservative, it does not add, nor subtract, power from the piece.

I would recommend this piece to others, because I feel that all the actors did a great job, and the singing was beautiful (especially Germont’s and Violetta’s). The music was just splendid, and I thought, that overall it was a great opera.
Anonymous said…
eVolve #20
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

The main characters in the opera La traviata are Violetta, a courtesan, a man named Alfredo, and Alfredo’s father Germont. Alfredo and Violetta fall in love, but Germont does not want them to be together, thinking that Violetta would bring shame to the family. Germont forces Violetta and Alfredo apart and only realizes the mistake he made when Violetta is on her deathbed, sick with tuberculosis.
The music was very strong, especially the duet between Violetta and Germont. Despite being very long and slightly boring, I only realized how much Violetta loved Alfredo when Germont tried to separate them. The music carried the feelings of the characters out with gusto.
The sets and costumes really helped set the mood of the scene. For example, when Violetta was sick, there were significantly dirtier walls and it was made clear that she had less money. Also, when Violetta was sick, the dress she wore and the props around her were made to look as if there was blood on them. The dresses Violetta wore helped her stand out (such as the royal blue she was seen in in the first scene).
The setting has been updated from the 18th century to 1950s Paris to make the opera more modern and relatable. This setting helps add to the general power of the piece.
I would recommend this opera only to older people who enjoy musical theatre performances because, honestly, the whole thing was a little long and I could sense myself and my fellow peers getting restless.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE: 47
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

The plot of the story is quite sad. Although this is expected considering some of Verdi’s other operas he has written. The characters to La Traviata were all especially well played and acted for. The story, like I said, was very sad. With Violetta having TB and dying just after Germont tells her that he is sad and should’ve let Alfredo love Violetta.
The music carried the plot very well. I think that all of the the singers sang very well. I was impressed by how well Lisette Oropesa sang when she was lying down on Violetta’s deathbed. Most of the time you can’t sing when you’re laying down. You must prop yourself up.
The costumes were really nice. In the opening scene when everyone rushes in, Violetta’s blue dress was stunning. Also, the chandeliers in the opening scene, were plentiful, and must’ve been really hard to set up.
The setting was a perfect time to portray Violetta’s life. Wild parties, people with money, and courtesans. The opera takes place in Paris 1950, and TB was very common back then. There were some TB antidotes, but, the disease eventually found a way around it, then killed you. There was no way to stop it from killing you.
I think this opera was fantastic. Violetta’s life was told brilliantly by the singers and dancers, and I would recommend this opera to anyone.
Anonymous said…
Evolve 44
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

La Traviata:
About a week ago on Wednesday September 30th, my class and I went to see the opera La Traviata. I’m here to tell you my review of the opera and my personal opinion about what I thought of it.
One important part of the opera, is the plot. The story is of the opera is about Violetta (a courtesan with TB and the main character) who is in love with Alfredo (a man who has feelings for Violetta), but Alfredo’s father doesn’t approve of this, and Violetta is forced to leave Alfredo. I think that the plot was strong, and that it was acted out very well on the stage.
Another important aspect of the opera is the music and the voices. I personally think that the musical sounds helped enhance the scenes, and it also helped to add on to the setting and conflict. It sounded beautiful, and it flowed elegantly with the acting, dancing, and singing.
The next aspect of the opera, is the staging and props. I think that the staging fit very well with the opera, and the props helped add onto the whole thing. For example, there was a prop that was supposed to be a glass of wine, which Violetta spilled during a party.
The final aspect of the opera that I’m going to talk about, is the setting. The setting of this opera, is the 1700’s, but Opera Philadelphia changes it to the 1950’s. I thought that was a good idea, because it helps us understand more of what is going on, because it’s a closer time period to ours.
I thought that overall it was very well done, and that it was also very exciting and entertaining.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 12
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

The main characters in La Traviata are very interesting. Each characters have their own personality. Violetta is very loyal and germont is hard on violetta. The plot of the story is unlike anything i’ve ever seen. The plot was very dramatic and the fact that violetta dies makes it ever more dramatic. The main conflict was germont won’t let violetta marry alfredo even though she loves him and at the same she is fighting TB knowing she can’t make it. Conflict keeps growing when violetta says she can’t marry him. Alfredo gets mad and makes one of the worst mistakes in his life. All they want is to be together but they can’t because Germont needs to save the family name.
The voices are very loud and they have to be if they need to be heard. They have no microphones and they still have great voices. The only problem is that when Germont was singing I almost fell asleep. Has a very calm voice I thought he would have a very deep, hard voice. What amazed me the most is that when the person who played violetta was really good on the bed leaning on her chest, and it was still loud. For the music it really helped me understand what was going on. The music went really good with the voices, the way it would go with the voices was really cool.
The staging was beautiful. The walls have many doors that looked very cool and very antique. The beginning was very different than the end where there were doors that fell down and there was only light bulb. At flora's house it still had the door but in a different layout and furniture. What was also cool was that the staircase at the beginning. The costumes were extremely beautiful and extravagant. Violettas dresses were always standing out with red and blue. Flora’s costumes were sparkly and not something I thought women would where in the 1950’s. All the men wore tuxedos but I thought that since alfredo wasn't that wealthy I didn’t think he would wear a tuxedo.
The setting was a very nice place. It was called the conservative time period. Paris in the 1950’s was very different than today especially at parties. Some of the things they wore looked like they belonged at balls to me. at the time period many people were in poverty. while others just spent all the money they had. In the opera it kind of seemed more modern than in the 1950’s in paris. At the end of the performance it was carnival in the streets. I didn’t know that there was a carnival in paris. I thought paris was very proper. It does seem sad that we couldn’t see who it's supposed to be but it is still good as it is.
I think I a very strong opinion on this show. It has some other things I would think would be better. At some points the music was too fast for the singers. Since I didn’t understand most of it I read the text lines at the top. It was kinda hard to see it and know what they're saying. Just for those and some other things i thought that it was pretty good. the lighting went really well. and all the singing was beautiful. I would like to see it again.
Anonymous said…
eVolve10
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School


I enjoyed going to The Philadelphia Academy of Music’s production, La Traviata. This was an incredible well-done performance, both acting-wise and production-wise. Although I felt I could not really relate to the the characters’ problems, the acting and singing was exceptional. La Traviata is the tragic tale of Violetta, a successful Parisian courtesan in the ‘50s, and the wealthy Alfredo Germont. Alfredo tells Violetta he loves her, and she realizes she feels the same about him. Violetta gives up her wealth and status to live with Alfredo . They live happily together in the country, but Alfredo’s father tells Violetta to forsake the relationship to save his family’s reputation. Violetta tearfully breaks up with Alfredo, and a year later, she is dying of tuberculosis. Alfredo comes and comforts Violetta as she dies knowing she is forgiven.
The music was a huge part of my enjoyment of the opera. The pit orchestra did a great job highlighting what the characters were portraying, whether it be grief, anger or joy. I noticed that the actors’ voices rose when they were angry, and carried more vibrato when they were sad. The only time the performers did not sing was when reading letter. This clearly showed that the words they were reading were not their own.
My favorite part of the production was the set. Each arrangement of the walls showed the status and mood of the characters in the act. In act one there is a grand staircase, which showcases Violetta’s wealth. In act two Violetta and Alfredo’s house is slightly smaller than Violetta’s house in act one, but still shows wealth. In act three however, many panels of the wall are broken or missing. The lighting in this act was absolutely perfect, it was an exact representation of Violetta’s poor living situation and mood. The costumes were very good, but in act one, the ball gowns felt a little out of place. They seemed to belong more in the 1800s than in the 1950s. Besides this, the staging was absolutely fabulous.
This opera is set in the 1950 instead of the 1700s as Verdi imagined. Although today’s production is set 250 years in the future, the setting still makes sense because the ‘50s were a very conservative time period where women struggled for power. This setting makes the opera a bit more relatable to a modern audience.
All in all, I really enjoyed this performance. I would recommend it to anyone who has a love for theatre or music. However I would not recommend it for families with younger children as scenes such as Violetta’s death can be a bit frightening. But for anyone looking for great opera, this is a top-notch performance!

Anonymous said…
eVolve29
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

My class and I went to see the opera ‘La Traviata’, It’s about a courtesan named Violetta, who is dying of Tuberculosis. Violetta is in love with a man named Alfredo, well he was in love with her first. Alfredo’s father does not approve of their love.
I thought the duets involving Violetta were great. I have to admit, I’m probably not the best audience for an opera, I found it a little boring; But there were some things that kept me awake.
I thought the use of doors and windows was very creative, and looked realistic. In the first scene there was an actual staircase that the cast was using, and the next scene, they were gone! In the last scene, Violetta’s bloody dress was realistic, I could tell even when sitting in the back.
Although I know that this opera was updated from Verdi’s original plan, I don’t know when it was updated from, or what it would be like without the update. I can't say much more about that.
There were parts I didn’t like about the opera, and parts I did, over all I liked it, I could actually hear the upright bass, the singing was amazing, and the plot was great. I hope to see another opera someday.
Anonymous said…
eVolve 8
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

The opera was understandable and the plot was fairly clear. I loved the voices of all of the singers especially Germont’s and Violetta’s voices. In the ending, the acting was strong so I almost cried. I tend to get emotional when the main characters die. The drama was good and overall I believe the opera was wonderful.
When it comes to an opera, sound is a key element of the show. No one wants to hear terrible sound but in this show the sound was pure and sweet. I absolutely love it when there is a combination of a high voice and a low voice. The duet with Germont and Violetta was beautiful and soothing to me. That moment had the best chemistry. The opera singers did a wonderful job in singing.
Another very important element in the opera is how clearly the plot is presented. When I saw the opera, I could clearly understand the plot by not only the superscript, but by the expressions on the faces and the singing tones and tune. When it was a joyful seen, I could tell it was a joyful scene and it became dreary I could tell the emotions of certain characters. The opera singers drew a clear picture in my mind.
At the end of the opera, at the very last aria, I almost cried. The sad tune of Violetta losing hope almost felt real. Also seeing Alfredo’s emotions, I can tell how much he wants her to live on to live a happy life. That is a sad story with a bitter-sweet ending. However, the opera singers did their job completely and well which allowed myself to feel
Finally, as I conclude, I have four words to explain how I feel. I was absolutely wowed. The fact that they didn’t have any microphones also surprised me. I wonder how they can sing so loud and in a certain tone...any tone. Lisette,(as Violetta) and the rest of the cast did an absolutely fabulous job performing. I loved it.





Anonymous said…
evolve33
grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
Violetta is a courtesan in Paris. When Violetta hosts a party she meets Alfredo who falls in love with her, but violetta does not know how to feel. Later Alfredo’s Father Germont visits Violetta and tells her she has to brake up with Alfredo. At a party violetta and alfredo meet up again but, Alfredo is very angry at Violetta and throws money at her. At the end Germont tells Alfredo that he made Violetta break up with her. So Alfredo goes to see Violetta but she soon dies of tuberculosis. The performance told the story very dramatically by adding different moods different ways.

The music and voices in this piece help create the mood of that scene or part. The voices helped because if they were low that part was very serious or, if the voice was high it was very energetic and happy. The also music blended with the singing making a very cool and interesting sound. Another way the singing helped create the mood was if they were singing really fast or slow. The music was helpful because it kept you listening and watching is stead of just hearing the singers voices.

The staging helped enhance the undermined plot by showing what it was like in 1950’s paris and where the power was during this time. The staging showed this with many large chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and nice furniture. It was also shown when there was only a small room with a single dim lightbulb hanging from the ceiling towards the end when violetta was very poor. The costumes were very good at doing this to when people were wearing nice suits and fancy dresses at parties.

La Traviata takes place in 1950’s Paris. In Verdi’s original opera, the setting takes place in the early 1800’s. The 1950’s were a conservative time period. The Civil Rights Movement was still brand new, women were still expected to work only at home. Even though it is different time period it still has the same sense of power because in both time periods it is conservative. it makes it easier to understand too because it is more current.

I would recommend the performance adults but not kids. I would recommend it to adults because it is an outstanding opera. I would not recommend it to children because it is very long and you can’t understand what they’re saying without missing some of the great acting. Overall I would recommend it, and even possibly see it again.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE #39
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

The performance told the story very dramatically and I was very engaged the plot. The story is told just outside Paris, France during the 1950’s. The main characters are Germont, Alfredo, and Violetta. Violetta is a courtesan sick of Tuberculosis when she falls in love with a man named Alfredo. They decide to get married and move away, leaving their land of parties. Alfredo’s father, Germont, opposes their love and gets Violetta to leave Alfredo. Alfredo gets jealous and mad and insults Violetta at a party. Violetta and Alfredo pledge their love to each other one last time before Violetta dies of her illness.

I thought the music really carried the action forward. One of my favorite songs was the one at the beginning at the party scene. There were people singing high and people singing lower and all together it sounded amazing. Violetta’s voice was so beautiful and angelic and I loved the way it sounded. One duet that really pulled the action forward to me was the duet between Germont and Violetta. In that duet Germont tells Violetta that she must leave Alfredo. In this part one of the main problems in the opera is happening. Another duet that really carries the action forward is the one between Alfredo and Violetta at the party. This point in the opera Alfredo confesses his love to Violetta. The music really carries the action forward in this opera.

The staging, sets, and costumes help me understand the plot and help me understand how wealthy the people were. The chandeliers in the setting show how much wealth Violetta has at the beginning. When people had chandeliers back then it indicated wealth. Later at the end she is in a small room with almost no light. This makes me think that she is a lot poorer. I think this because she probably didn’t have enough money for lights. Also at the beginning she is wearing a gorgeous dress with a color that makes me think she is very rich. In the middle she is wearing nice clothes, but not as nice as they were at the beginning. At the end she was dressed in rags and was most definitely broke. The staging definitely enhanced the plot.

The opera took place in just outside Paris, France in the 1950’s. It originally took place in another time, but the producer updated the opera to make it better. I think how he updated it added to the power. How the opera was updated showed the problem’s of the Conservative 1950’s. Back then women weren’t treated as well as men. Also showed the problem with courtesans and society back then. Courtesan’s weren’t respected by society and no one liked them very much. The way he updated it made it more interesting and more relevant to the story. I don’t think that the way the producer updated it, was a distraction. I thought that it added more power to the opera.

I thought that the opera was very entertaining and engaging. The opera truly showed Violetta’s extravagant lifestyle at the beginning. Lisette Oropesa truly made you feel how she felt, as she lit up the stage. Alek Shrader played Alfredo so well I could feel his anger when Violetta left him. All the other singers were just as amazing. The set was magnificent and I wondered how they could set the next scene so quickly in fifteen minutes. In fifteen minutes they changed the setting into an amazing room. Also the costumes were great. I loved Violetta’s outfit in the first and second acts and at the end her clothes really showed how little money she had left. Overall it was an amazing show and I would recommend it to friends and family and watch it again.
Anonymous said…
eVolve #32
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

Traviata is a beautiful piece as music and as an opera, I especially liked the plot of the opera, I was very invested in it as the opera plot continued. it was very dramatic, emotional, shocking, and at times; comedic. The dramatic story was enacted very smoothly and the characters and conflict were explained very well not through words, but through a more powerful way, actions. Traviata is about a young man, Alfredo falls deeply in love with a courtesan, Violetta. But their love is tragically separated by his father, Giorgio. Giorgio confronts Violetta about her origin and why she cannot marry Alfredo, and she agrees reluctantly,and writes a note to Alfredo. But since violetta doesn’t explain why she broke up with him, this angered him and he insulted Violetta very badly. When Giorgio explains to Alfredo that he arranged this separation, Alfredo forgives Violetta but is too late, so he forgives her as she is dying.

The music and singing were the best parts, they were very appropriately played. For example, when the story was happy, it was loud, moderately paced and in major key, but when the story was sad, the music from the orchestra was slow, quiet, and minor key. I especially liked Giorgio Germont’s voice as it was very smooth and slow, it was very calming and reassuring. The music is very memorable and fills people with joy.

The beautifully designed sets inflicted upon the opera a fancy, shining tone that really amplifies the emotional feeling, from the beginning where it was heavily adorned with paintings and decor to the end, where it was poorly maintained. And each and every time it reflected upon the character who owned the area’s state and social ranking. the costumes were very intricately designed and seemingly very professional and created a sense of what people were like and their personalities and trends. The costumes, staging, and sets create a feeling that you’re watching from the sidelines the story of a person unfold, and what’s left after the unfolding is a gem of a memory that La Traviata is.

Even though Traviata takes place in the 1850’s, this version is staged in the 1950’s a century later, but the performance was its equal, if not better. This time change actually enhanced the plot and created a better opera in more ways than one.

I would definitely recommend this performance to anyone and everyone because of its amazing content and it’s fit for all age groups. The music, the performance, and the plot were the absolutely wondrous and beautiful. I have already recommended this to my family and close friends.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE48
grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

La Traviata is a tragic love story, based off of a real 1800’s woman, that revolves around a rich and beautiful courtesan named Violetta Valery dying of tuberculosis, and a middle class man named Alfredo Germont. In this heart-wrenching opera, Violetta has to choose between her easy life of parties and wealth, and love. With the added spice of her courtesan friend Flora’s extravagant parties, and the company of her other suitor, the Baron, she and Alfredo must fight for love through his oppressive father’s judgement and her deadly case of TB. Though the main character Violetta dies in the end, the opera really was amazing, and the story and plot were like a Romeo and Juliet set in the real world, where not everything is a midsummer night's dream.
Everything about the music was incredible. It made all the drama seemed, more, well, dramatic! The singing was high, the singing was low, and you could even tell how the actors’ and singers’ voices change with the situation, and especially for me because I (like always) forgot to bring my glasses, so hearing their tones of voice made all the scenes I couldn't see clearly more vivid and real. The pieces played by the orchestra were spectacular too, and to me, it all went perfectly.From the playful arias to the heartfelt and soulful duets, the music would resound in everyone’s heart and dig a hole deep inside where La Traviata would stay forever.
Can I just say that Violetta's outfits are all incredibly stunning? Her elegant dresses and classy pant suit were fashionable whether she was rich or poor. Even when she was in an old gray nightgown dying of TB, she was still elegant, no matter how sick. Speaking of her case of tuberculosis, it's actually super cool that there was fake blood on her sheets to emphasize how serious the disease was, and to make the scene all the more realistic than it actually was. What is also amazing is how everything changes along with the plot, like how the two parties that were in the opera both had bright lighting, yet the death scene was dark and mysterious. You can also feel the mood through the clothing too. At Violetta's party, the colors and clothing were elegant and happy, and at Flora's party, everything was a shade of red, which is a feisty and playful color. This is in stark contrast to the simple and dull clothing worn in Alfredo and Violetta's small household, and even more to the drab and dark clothes in her death scene. Props (pun intended) to the costume, set, and prop crew.

Anonymous said…
Evolve 22
grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School


La traviata is an opera that talks about Violetta, a courtesan that lived in paris in the 1950s. This opera is all about power, because all of Verdi's operas were about power and control. In this opera Violetta a courtesan goes to a party and meets a man and his name is Alfredo, Alfredo and Violetta fall in love at the party and date until one day Alfredo said he wants to marry Violetta. When that happens, Germont, Alfredo's dad does not want his son Alfredo to marry Violetta because Violetta was a courtesan, and in 1950s france courtesans were respected very poorly, which made Germont think that if Alfredo married Violetta than Violetta will bring shame to their family.
The music in this opera was unbelievably good. I think that the music really carried the plot well. The way of how these people sung was amazing, all the people had just sung notes so high and so low, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.There was one part when Violetta was singing when she was lying down and she sung so loud and the notes were so correct I didn't think that Violetta was singing at all that seen. My favorite duet was probably the duet when Alfredo threw money at Violetta and everyone was beating up Alfredo because everything was just so funny and seemed so real.
The stageing in La Traviata for my opinion was amazing. The acting seemed so real especially the last scene when violetta was dying she was coughing and crying so well that i thought that Violetta was actually about to die. The costumes were also fenomenul and how violetta kept on changing into these royal blue dresses to show her wealth was a very clever idea by the director. One thing I truly thought was amazing was how they kept on changing the set into something entirely new in five minutes, just imagine how hard that probably is.
In La Traviata I really liked the setting. Verdi’s idea of making this opera in 1950’s France was very clever for multiple reasons because, in 1950’s France in the real world courtesans were treated very poorly and wanted more power, just because Verdi liked all of his operas to be about power. Paris at that time had also a really big problem with TB which causes action which is why Violetta has TB to make the end more dramatic and much more intense. When we went to see La Traviata as a class we all didn't really understand the one part where Violetta’s friend hosts a party, and all of the more violent actions happen, but then our teacher told us that in 1950’s France that all those things occurred a lot.
Overall my opinion of La traviata is, that it is a very long and interesting production that is in a different language and in a different time period. I don't think I will come to see La Traviata again with my family but I do think that I might recommend this opera to some people that understand opera a lot more than I do.
Anonymous said…
eVolve #6
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School


Grade 6, Bala Cynwyd Middle School, eVolve
My La Traviata Review



The main characters were Violetta is a courtesan, Alfredo is son of Germont, Germont is a wealthy man and is father of Alfredo. The conflict was that Violetta and Alfredo are in love but they can’t be together.

The wonderful duets and arias, just the music was beautiful it really brought the suspense, and action into the story. The involvement of me to the opera was strong but not completely strong.

The sets and costumes were amazing the chandeliers and the extravagant sets were in my opinion were amazing and really brought the plot and the time period alive.

The setting is in Paris 1950 at Alfredo home and Violetta’s house.
The setting also takes place at Violetta’s friend Flora’s house. The settings were very pretty.

My opinion is that it was good but not my favorite. I would recommend it to my grandmother and my Aunt but not any kids or moms, dads. I wouldn’t Recommend it to those people because I felt the ending was predictable.
Anonymous said…
evolve 37
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
grade 6

La Traviata is about a courtesan named Violetta who loves Alfredo Germont. Alfredo’s father does not approve of Violetta because she is a courtesan. Violetta has Tuberculosis or TB which is a disease that pollutes your lungs, so you end up coughing out blood, then TB usually it takes a turn to the worst by killing you. Nowadays, there are vaccines for it, but back in the nineteen fifties, there was no vaccines for it. The only option was death.
The musical voices that the musicians have were amazing, Violetta can sing so high that glass would shatter. A duet that added to the conflict was with Giorgio, and Violetta, were Giorgio decides that he does not want Violetta going out with Alfredo because Violetta was a courtesan. Another scene that led to some conflict was when Alfredo threw money at Violetta because he sang that he was just using her as a courtesan, and that he didn’t pay her. Even though he loves her.
On set, everything was baroque, or exaggerated. There were tons of chandeliers to show how rich Violetta was. Alfredo’s house was smaller, and less fancy, but it was still fancy nonetheless. This is to show that Alfredo is not as wealthy as other people such as the baron. There were stairs during the first scene to show elevation. During the show, they changed the set for every scene change. The set was so detailed that you could see the blood on violettas pillow as she passes away.
This opera takes place in the nineteen fifties in Paris, France. Which was a conservative time period. In this time period, women we treated like property, not human beings. Violetta knew that if she loved Alfredo, she would have to give up her job and her lifestyle.
This performance was very good although there was some fumbles along the way. For example, Violetta threw a wine glass into the air for someone else to catch, but the character missed it and the glass fell to the ground. That revealed that the glass was plastic. This made me wonder if there was any glass in the entire show. The singing was legendary, and it displayed an enormous amount of culture from conservative time periods like this one. I learned a lot from the opera, and I can’t wait to see another one.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE48
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

A continuation

Ah, Paris! The place to be! Well not in the 50's, unless you're a young woman with a case of tuberculosis, abandoned by society and having no place to run to except for the little corner of the the world that only welcomes you as a plaything for the rich, who falls in love with a man who isn't capable of affording your extravagant lifestyle,because then you'll make a great opera! Phew, that was a lot of words. Anyways, La Traviata was set in the perfect time and place then, and it still is now. Back then, if it were set in the time Verdi meant for it, then the audience would have loved like we did. I think that Opera Philadelphia changing the time setting to the 1950's really did help us (the audience) understand the opera more, especially since it made me feel as if I had a connection to the because the time period being so close to mine. Everything was unrealistically dreamy yet modern in a way where you could still understand the story and meaning without having the painful reminder that you lived in the same sexist time.
My opinion? Well, the opera was amazing, but just a bit of advice, don’t bring anyone too young, because some of the scenes do get a little racey. Though you may be warned, it still kind of shocks. Still. I would only recommend this to people who are mature and who would understand such a beautiful love story. I know that it sounds like I have nothing but good things to say about La Traviata, but since it’s the only opera I’ve ever seen/remember, I was pretty wowed, especially by the grand staircase in the first scene. I’d totally see it again, 10/10.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 45
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle SChool

This opera is about a women falls in love with a man whose father doesn't want his son to marry her and be in the family. Here is the story of “ La Traviata”

The main characters in this story is Violetta. Violetta is the women who fall in the love with Alfredo. Alfredo is the man who also falls in love with Violetta. Alfredo wants to marry Voletta and have 2 kids. Alfredo’s father doesn’t want them to get marry or want Violetta in their family, but Alfredo doesn’t care he stills loves her and so does Violetta.

The music and voices were very loud. They had no microphones at all and a loud orchestra. The characters had to sing over the orchestra. Whenever the yelled at each other their voices got higher and lower. Their voices got higher when they argued and lower when they were regular talking.There were duets when they involvement in the conflict.

Staging was very nicely set. Violetta had on an royal blue dress with diamonds on it. The dress showed wealth. The stage had a lot of expensive furniture and chandelier. When it got to the party scene a guy had blood on him from Alfredo punching him, that shows that the director was think.

The setting when it actually happened took place in France, Paris in 1950’s. Right now when we went to see it, it took place in Violetta’s house, Alfredo’s house and a fancy party place. The places were really nice. I could actually vison what it looked like in the 1950’s.

I think i would bring my family because it was super fun, but i would also not bring my little cousin’s because it was a little inappropriate even for me and my little cousin’s are 3, 4, 5, and 10. So i wouldn’t bring them, but my family other than them I would bring them.
Anonymous said…

eVOLVE5
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School


When I saw the performance of La Traviata at Opera Philadelphia, I thought that the actors told the story dramatically, and I was mostly sucked into the plot of the story, and I felt as if I were transported back to Paris, France in the 1950’s, a conservative time period. The five main characters in the Opera La Traviata were: Violetta, Alfredo, Germont, Flora, and Anina. In this Opera Seria, there is an endless list of problems, the only person who loves Violetta and the only person who Violetta loves, Alfredo, is not allowed to be with her by order of Alfredo’s Father, Giorgio Germont. Another dilemma is that Violetta has tuberculosis and that she only has a little amount of time until she will die of the deadly disease.
The music definitely carried the characters forward. Alfredo and Violetta’s duets showed love and hatred toward each other, and when an argument was going on, the voices became louder, and louder. Rarely did ever I become disinterested in the music. I loved the soprano arias because, I too am a soprano.
During the conservative time period in the 1950’s, wealth was shown through furniture and clothing, and I think the sets and costumes did a great deal to give it the feeling if someone was rich or poor. Some of the costumes showed if it was a fancy occasion, or if it was a casual day. the Lighting also helped give feeling, for example, when Violetta was dying, the lighting was dark, and with the combination of music and lighting, some people couldn't resist feeling sorry for Violetta
One thing I didn't understand was if the setting we saw, was the same that Verdi had thought of for La Traviata.
I would recommend this performance to my family and friends, because for me, It was a mesmerizing and breathtaking show. If I had the chance, I would definitely see La Traviata again.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 2
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School


La traviata, “the lost woman” a three hour story about a women trying to survive in society. The true story of a young courtesan in the 1950s named Violetta is dying with TB/ Tuberculosis finally found love in the society that has always rejected her. Then the father of her lover gets worried about her destroying the family name and makes her break up with him. The Philadelphia Opera house did an excellent job of producing this tragic of love story. They really did an excellent job with the music, it made the story come true and let me feel the pain and joy of the love.
The music really enhanced the plot when Alfredo confessed his love for Violetta. You could hear how serious Alfredo was and how Violetta was a little more playful by the way she sang. That helped the story move forward and helped us understand what the character's were going through. At some points like when Alfredo was lashing out at Violetta you could hear anger and hatred that Alfredo was feeling at the party. You could also feel the dread that was spreading through Violetta’s body which made me feel more part of the performance. I loved the the quality of the music but the staging really made the show real.
Back then (in the 1950s) the amount of stuff you had showed how rich you were. The staging in the beginning was bright and full of stuff which show how much money Violetta had and the wealth she would give up later on. Then in the end there was only one light bulb and the wall was less decorated which made it obvious that she was on the verge of having nothing and show ed all the work put into the setting. The detail in the clothes was amazing. It showed all the work put in the opera. I thought the dress in the beginning really show all the money and wealth she had from the job with all the crystals and jewels which made her glow. But in the end she was in her nightdress cover in blood which I admire because they put in the time to put the blood on the dress from her throw up. Her dresses and decoration proved that they cared about even the smallest details. I love staging but the setting made the show come to life
Verde, do you know what that means? Well, to the people of what is now Italy means the most loved composer who wrote La Traviata. Though the setting of the play I just saw wasn’t the one Verde wanted, but they modernized it to the 1950s as to the 1700 but it was meant to be in Paris. I think the idea of making the play montern was a great Idea because It helps it be more relatable so we can understand what’s going on and why. The place it was supposed to be at france and I think it was a good idea to do it in the same place.
In the end I think that this opera is a true piece of art and I will recommend this to my friends and family. I thought that it’s an opera worth seeing and the is a go to opera. The only critic I have is to you and it is to stop reading this revue and get tickets.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE21
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

This production of La Traviata was astoundingly great in the terms of music, plot, characters, staging, the way that the setting was conveyed not only with the staging but with the characters, and the voices of the singers. All of these elements came together to make this production great and worth any money you could pay.
Firstly, there was the total immersion in the plot, and you felt like you were connecting with the story, and you felt empathy for the characters, and if the scene was gloomy, you could feel that yourself, and you could understand why that was happening. Another aspect of the plot that was exciting to me was that it was complex, but understandable. Within the three hour performance, the plot quickly thickened into something almost impossible to understand for anyone who hadn’t been there the entire opera. The emotions that the characters were feeling also seemed so real you could feel them yourself, such as the death scene, where Violetta’s aria conveyed the emotion so well, I’m sure at least a few audience members shed a tear.
Second of all, the music and voices conveyed the message in a way that you didn’t even need to read the superscript being projected on the top to understand the feeling of the scene or action. You could tell by just listening how the characters felt about a certain situation, and that along with the writing above made me feel connected with the entire opera, so I felt like the way that things were understandable not only in a superficial way, but in a personal way made the production substantially more enjoyable.
Third, there was the visual aspect that brought all of the other art forms together to make the opera what is was- the setting and staging. I felt that the scenery was almost like a playground for the cast members, for them to utilize in their movements and to emphasize the feeling of the moment. One example of this is when Violetta is laying on the chaise lounge chair, it made it seem intense and serious before the bubbly and happy party that it immediately transformed into. The staging went hand in hand with the setting of the opera, in terms of time period and location. You immediately noticed from the way the characters acted, and most importantly, the way the stage was set, that this was somewhere in the early-mid 1900’s. The way the people were dressed and objects in the room perfectly conveyed this, and the setting changed the way the actions felt, in the terms of social “norms” at that time and place, so some things that may be considered offensive or weird at this time were perfectly normal then, and vice versa.
My personal opinion of this opera would be that if the price is less than 500$, I’d buy myself a ticket. I personally, if I had any amount of money enough to buy a few, I’d have to hold myself back from buying all of my friends and family a ticket. Whatever Lisette Oropesa- heck, the entire cast is getting paid, it’s probably not enough.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE23
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

La Traviata Review

I thought the opera was very good and I would like to say my full opinion on it. I am happy I learned the story beforehand because in the actual performance it never really told Violetta’s backstory. Otherwise the story was told very well. Violetta was a courtezan and had never experienced real love in her life. But she met a man named Alfredo and he loved her for real. Violetta realized that but Alfredo’s dad Germont said she and Alfredo could not be together. Violetta was dying with tuberculosis and at the end Germont tells Alfredo that he told Violetta to go away. Alfredo arrives at Violetta’s house just in time to see her take her last breath.
The music fit in really well with what was happening when it was played. When there was a sad scene the music slowed down and when there was a happy or energetic scene the music would speed up. All the actors voices were amazing and it was really cool how they could get their voices all the way through the theater.
The staging and costumes really helped me understand the plot. The staging really helped me understand how Alfredo just lived in a normal house and how Violetta has been saving up the money she gets from being a courtezan. The costumes helped helped me to realize it takes place in the baroque period where everything was over the top.
The setting was in Paris but at that time Giuseppe Verdi was forced to have the setting in Paris because he lived in Italy when it was not Italy and it was under the control of Paris. So he could’ve imagined the setting somewhere else.
I would recommend the opera to my friends and family because it was very dramatic, tragic, and exciting. I think they would really enjoy and I would also like to see another opera sometime.

Anonymous said…
eVOLVE13
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

I felt that the performance of “La Traviata” told the story incredibly and I was engaged very much in the plot. The main character was Violeta and she was a courtesan and back then it was a very conservative time, but then she met a man named Alfredo and he loved her so much! Then she began to love him, but his father did not allow them to love each other so she left him while she was sick with tuberculosis the whole time.

The music made the whole thing even better than it was before because the actresses and actors are not using microphone yet their voices are louder than some pop singers with microphones. You could also use the music to help find what the character's feeling or help you with the main conflict. I almost felt that I never looked at the words above only at the stage!

The sets, staging, and costumes were amazing and helped show the plot and conflict and I loved all the costumes they really helped show the time period were this was supposed to take place. It also helped how Violeta lived in the very baroque house and then Alfrado house how it was not as nice or baroque as Violeta’s.

The time and place is not the same time period as the composer planned it was updated. I felt that it was not a distraction I found it still very great, but I never saw the original because I never lived back then yet I still very much enjoyed the performance and the setting.

I would recommend the performance because I enjoyed it so much. I loved all the costumes and designs of the setting. What I loved most of all is that I truly believed that Violeta was sick and her performance was impeccable.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE38
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

I Thought that the Opera,La Traviata was amazing.They that they executed everything was very dramatic and I was very engaged.Violetta, was a beautiful courtesan who fell in love with a man named Alfredo.Alfredo is a caring man who fell in love with Violetta and accepted her for who she was. Germont was Alfredo's dad, who didn't want Alfredo to love Violetta because of her past.That’s one conflict but Violetta also becomes very sick with TB.

The way they sang was so beautiful and I could totally tell what emotions they were feeling.When Germont was talking to Violetta about why she couldn’t love Alfredo, there voices talking or singing to each other was so strong , you could feel that it was a serious conversation.

A big part of the play was the sets and costumes.When Violetta would have her parties, everything would be very fancy and elegant, especially her dress.It was a royal blue so she stood out and it was so beautiful.

This Opera takes place in Paris, 1950.Originally the composer had set it when King Louis the 14th ruled France.The scene is updated and I think it would have been very interesting if it was set in King Louis time period but I enjoyed the setting being in 1950.

I loved this Opera and I would want to bring my family to see it.The woman who played Violetta was just amazing,so were the other characters.I hope that many people go to see this opera and experience the amazing voices and acting for themselves.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE #35
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle school

I really liked the opera! It was really fun and cool. Although my teacher told me that opera’s were very dramatic, I found the Traviata beginning really happy but I guess that’s how it was supposed to be. The story was told so well that I understood everything! Here is what I remembered. The story starts with a courtesan named Violetta who has been rejected by her family. A courtesan is a woman who dresses up beautifully and has marquis and rich people pay her to have them with her at plays etc etc... Sadly, Violetta has never been loved. Even society hates her. She doesn’t know what love is and has TB. One day, a man called Alfredo declares his love for Violetta. She just laughs because she just thinks that Alfredo wants her to go with him to the plays and operas. But after hearing his reasons and regards, she falls in love with Alfredo and sells all her belongings and gives Alfredo the money. She sells all her belongings because in the past, when women were to get married or live with a man, they had to sell all their belongings and give the money to the man. But Alfredo’s dad doesn’t approve of Violetta marrying Alfredo and forces her to leave him. In act 3, Violetta dies of TB with Alfredo by her side holding her and crying with sadness.
I loved the songs (the Brindisi was my favorite!) They carried the opera forward really well. For example, at the beginning, there was a party, and the music was lively and happy (the song was the Brindisi). Another example was at the end,when Violetta was about to die, the music was slow and sad and sudden when she died.
The set was the best. It was creative and modern. When I went, I thought that the setting would be old or ancient. Instead, the set was modern and cool. The costumes were also beautiful and creative. My favorite was the lady’s with the hat.
The opera takes place in the 1950’s but originally, I’m pretty sure in the 1800’s. This change was kind of distracting because when Violetta answered the phone, I didn’t expect her to answer a phone.
I would definitely recommend this opera to my friends although the end was very long and as my friend would say, It looked as if Violetta was never going to die.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

I saw the outstanding opera La Traviata. The characters performed very dramatically. The main character was a young courtesan named Violetta. Disdained by most of society but tolerated by the rich people. Then a young middle class man named Alfredo confessed his love for her. This created a dilemma for her. Then she had to decide between her love for Alfredo or wealth.
The music was wonderful. The music helped move the spirit of the scenes many times during the opera. One example of this was when Alfredo solemnly sang to Violetta of his love for her. This led into the next scene, where Violetta begs to be part of the family. The aria that gets me entranced in the opera is when she is about to die all hunched over but still singing just as loud as when she normally sings and a lot higher for a lot longer.
I noticed that the costumes for Violetta and Flora stood out so you could easily spot them. I also realized there were so many chandeliers and discovered that they were to show that Violetta and Flora were rich. I saw in the scene when Violetta dies that it was a small room which makes you focus on her.
The setting of the opera was 1950’s Paris, France. The time period Verdi performed it in was the 1700’s. There was an update in the time period by 250 years. I thought the modified time and place added to the power of the opera since the 1950’s was a more conservative time period then the present.
I would recommend this opera to anyone because of the great singing and dancing. The wonderful set and costumes were worth the one and a half hour drive there and back. I would also recommend this opera because of it’s outstanding plot. This opera’s setting could not have been any better than it was. All around this was the best opera ever.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 26
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

Plot & Characters~
I think that the story was very dramatics and done very well. I thought that because it was more dramatic it got me more engaged. It felt more real when it was dramatic. Although some parts weren’t dramatic there were dramatic parts before and after that kind of wrapped it up. I was engaged in the plot but at times it became tedious. I think that Violetta and the whole story got a bit more dramatic at the end then in the beginning. At times I was on the edge of my seat.
Violetta seemed like a very nice person. She seemed caring and would sometimes get a little angry but not get too worked up about things. Violetta had a little sense of humor but was only shown sometimes.
Alfredo seemed opposite of Violetta. When he got mad he was really mad and got worked up about things. Alfredo, when he wasn’t mad, was caring and loving.

Music & Voices~
I think that the Music and the loud, brod Voices made the story more dramatic but also make it more interesting. The music and the voices definitely carried the story forward. I found it amazing that they sang without a microphone and their voices were still that loud. The harmony when they were singing as a group was really good. And the fact that Violetta could make her voice so high and loud at the same time, to me was pretty impressive. The part when Violetta was laying in bed because she had TB her voice was still loud and beautiful and when you’re laying down it’s not that easy to sing that good or loud.

Staging~
The staging really brought out the fact that it was not around this time. And at parts kind of told the story and since it wasn’t in English the staging really helped. Since there were a few chandeliers that meant that Violetta was not poor but not rich.

Setting~
La Traviata was first performed on 6 March 1853 at the La Fenice opera house in Venice. The setting was in Paris in the 19th century. You could tell that it was not in the modern day times because instead of just having a chandelier for light they had chandeliers to show that they were rich or poor. For instance a house could have a really big chandelier and they could be really rich or a house could have a smaller chandelier and they could be more poor.



My Opinion~
I would recommend this opera to my friends and family because it put you on the edge of your seat and was very intriguing. The opera was dramatic and some of my friends and family like dramatic things. Also my family likes singing and dancing so operas are good for them. La Traviata is an amazing and unique opera.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE28
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School


The opera La Travita was a great performance. It was as amazing as a broadway production.

This oprea told a dramatic story.. There was much exaggeration while the plot was developed . The part where Violetta was dying was dramatic ,because she kept trying to get up, but she couldn't until finally she did. However, she fainted and fell to the floor and died. There were many main characters in this performance such as , Violetta and Alfredo. They dealt with conflicts such as tuberculosis and the fact that they could not get married.

The music and voices in this performance were spectacular. The sounds from the instruments helped the opera move along fluently. This was also apparent when Alfredo’s father would sing since his voice was powerful, kept the audiences’ attention and increased the pace of the opera. Violetta played an important part in this performance with her solos and duets with different charters. This was evident in the part when she was dying and singing with Alfredo and his father. The conflict in this opera was that everyone wants power. This is related to when the dad doesn't want Violetta's to get married to Alfredo because he doesn't think she would be a good role model for his daughter and a suitable wife for his son. .

The blood scattered on Violetta's bed made us realize that she had tuberculosis. When you have turbolicious you can cough up blood at points during this disease. The scenery was Paris in 1950. The vases and furniture with flowers embroidered on the fabric helped to realize this time period..

The time periods did change. The first time La Traviata was written was in Louis XVI time period, and now it takes place in the 1950’s . I don't think the changes were a distraction. in fact, I think they added to the opera and the plot build up. If anything they were a great addition.

La Travita was an fascninating opera whichI would recommend to friends and family of older aged children because there were some parts that were too mature and hard to understand. . This opera was spectacular and had amazing vocalists, actors and actresses and was the epitome of perfection .
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE4
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

Opera Reveiw
By madison Bondurant


The main characters were Violetta,Germont, and Alfredo. The conflict between them is Germont doesn't want to accept Violeta as Daughter, and the conflict between Alfredo and Violetta starts at the end when he is heartbroken and comes for revenge for the baron.

The music carried thee characters and their actions through the whole opera.


In particular the part when Alfredo was pouring himself out to Violetta. The sets very well under mined the plot because it was about Violetta and she was very wealthy so they made the house with chandeliers and fancy stuff. The opera takes place in the 17th century, and it mostly takes place inside.

I would not recommend this to my family because they aren't really a fan of lovey dovey stuff like me. But i would maybe recommend this to my little sister Jordyn because she would like the part when Alfredo was telling Violetta he loved her.
Anonymous said…
evolve30
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

After watching this opera, I was amazed how well the performers acted and song because it was the best and only opera I have ever seen! The performers played their part very dramatically and I adored the main characters Violetta, Alfredo, and Germont. The character Violetta had a very good voice and acted beautifully. Germont had a very strong voice. And Alfredo did amazing acting!
I think the music really went with the actions the characters made because as the music got louder so did the characters. I love the duet that Violetta and Germont did at Alfredo’s house because it was very well done.
My mother and I both loved the costumes because they were so eager and beautiful. We also really loved the different sets because they were so big and life like. without them the scene would be completely lost.
The opera was placed in the 1950s but it was not always meant to be. in my opinion, the time difference didn’t really change that much.
If I recommend the opera to anyone I think it would be to my father because he is the only other person I know that really likes operas.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE #20
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

La Traviata Review
Ezra Imaizumi


Violetta is a courtesan living in France. She is completely rejected by her society and community. She falls in love with a middle class man named Alfredo. Alfredo loves her back, but Alfredo’s family does not want Violetta because of the fact that she is a courtesan. Violetta later dies at a very young age from a disease that affected her lungs, called tuberculosis. The message from Giuseppe Verdi, the composer, is very dramatic, which almost every scene conveys. The main message of this libretto is all about power and the powerless (Violetta, an example) being exploited.

The music definitely moves the plot forward in the best way possible. Talented musicians in the orchestra are a big part of this, and so are the singers. Every time the scene is supposed to be sad, the music makes it that much sadder. Lots of times, when there are just strings and a lot of cheerful violins, that is when Violetta comes on stage. It helps me keep track of the play, and also adds an interesting theme.

The sets are very appealing to me. They make a foundation to help understand the place and time (setting.) For example, in the first scene, the grand staircase and the decorated, fancy walls help me establish that it is at a party, where the majority of the people are rich, in the 1850s in France.

La Traviata has not been updated in any way since Verdi put on the shows. (Except for the actors of course.) The opera is intended to take place in the 19th century in France, which is precisely what the piece conveys. According to my research and watching the play, that is also what Verdi intended it to be like.

I do not think that I would recommend this performance to somebody like me. In my opinion, many parts of the opera became tedious. Many parts were stretched out too long, out of my attention span. For example, It took what seemed like forever for Violetta to die. However, I did enjoy the comedic scenes, like the one where Violetta dumps her glass of water on some poor guy’s head at one of the parties. Even so, overall, I thought that La Traviata was an outstanding performance.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE40
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

La Traviata was a dramatic and sad story, the main characters are Violetta, Alfredo, and Germont. The main plot of the story is that rich 1950’s courtesan, Violetta, is sick with tuberculosis and had planned on marrying the love of her life Alfredo but his father Germont tells her that she can’t and must leave Alfredo. On the day of Violetta’s death Germont tells Alfredo what he had done and Alfredo rushes to Violetta only for her to die in his arms.

The music often carried the plot forward. For example when Alfredo was confessing his love to Violetta he was very serious and she was almost laughing saying that no you don’t, no you’re just joking. The duet between Germont and Violetta very much developed the plot because such a key point was discussed in that conversation.

The opera took place in a 1950's Paris setting although Verdi originally intended it to be in the 1800's but the Paris censors made him change it. Personally, I loved the mismatched tiles of Violetta’s walls. I then learned that they represented how she had built her whole life.

I found La Traviata a bit too long, and I think other students would very much agree, but I also thought it was very interesting. I loved the extravagant costumes and very much enjoyed the powerful voices. I’m really glad that I was able to have the experience!
Anonymous said…
eVolve31
grade 6
Bala Cynwyd middle school

I really enjoyed the opera La Traviata. I felt very engaged in the dramatic plot. some parts became a little repetitive and longer than they needed to be but otherwise it was very exciting and entertaining. The main characters were chosen very well with powerful singing voices and great acting talents. The conflict between the characters is powerful and meaningful. The ending can actually be put in a positive perspective if you think about it because Violetta and Alfredo are together.
I thought Lisette Oropesa was a beautiful singer and she was amazing at hitting the high notes! The music was wonderful at telling the story, when the plot was happy the music was upbeat, and when the plot was sad the music became serious. My favorite parts of the music was were the high notes it was very inspiring.
Believe it or not I expected the costumes to be more elaborate but Violetta’s costumes were beautiful! My favorite was the vibrant blue dress that Violetta wore. The set was so so Amazing! It was so beautiful that I felt like I wanted my house to look like that. I loved the walls and the hidden doors. The staircase was a perfect touch to Violetta’s house. The set and costumes made the story even more beautiful than it already was.
I think the opera was a little updated and that distracted the story a little bit. Another thing I would change to make the opera even better is to make it more clear that the story took place in paris. But considering that we don’t live in that time period or place I think it was very well shown that it didn’t take place in the current day. for example the phone was one of those old fashion phones where you have to dial the number using the dial.
I would definitely recommend the opera La Traviata to my family because it was extremely enjoyable and beautiful. the music, singing, staging, and setting was so perfect it made a wonderful opera to watch.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 1
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

The main characters in La Traviata are Violetta (The heroine of the piece. A courtesan with a heart (think Moulin Rouge) who comes to a predictably sticky end), Giorgio Germont (The stoically old fashioned father of Alfredo. He comes to understand young love by the conclusion but it takes a lot of pain and suffering from all involved to get him there.), Gastone (A friend of Alfredo's who brings Alfredo to a party so he can meet Violetta.), Flora Bervoix (A friend of Violetta and also one of the great non-parts in opera. Frequently onstage yet never noticed.), Dr. Grenvil (Violetta's doctor. He can't do much for her as TB was then incurable), Baron Douphol (Pays Violetta to be his lover. Loses a great deal of money to Alfredo at the gambling table.), Annina (Violetta's maid. Loyal to the very end.), Alfredo Germont (A young, deeply romantic, but rather foolish man with an angry streak. Makes off with Violetta.)

Each person has a different tone of voice. Tenor, Soprano, Baritone, Bass.

They are really wealthy they have huge chandeliers their dresses are so pretty.

The real story happened in 1952 in paris.

I would recommend everyone to go to la traviata. everything was perfect. the one thing i would change about it if i could would be some of the seatings.

FYI i got the name and the voice types and the descriptions from this site. http://www.theopera101.com/operas/traviata/
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 1
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

The main characters in La Traviata are Violetta (The heroine of the piece. A courtesan with a heart (think Moulin Rouge) who comes to a predictably sticky end), Giorgio Germont (The stoically old fashioned father of Alfredo. He comes to understand young love by the conclusion but it takes a lot of pain and suffering from all involved to get him there.), Gastone (A friend of Alfredo's who brings Alfredo to a party so he can meet Violetta.), Flora Bervoix (A friend of Violetta and also one of the great non-parts in opera. Frequently onstage yet never noticed.), Dr. Grenvil (Violetta's doctor. He can't do much for her as TB was then incurable), Baron Douphol (Pays Violetta to be his lover. Loses a great deal of money to Alfredo at the gambling table.), Annina (Violetta's maid. Loyal to the very end.), Alfredo Germont (A young, deeply romantic, but rather foolish man with an angry streak. Makes off with Violetta.)

Each person has a different tone of voice. Tenor, Soprano, Baritone, Bass.

They are really wealthy they have huge chandeliers their dresses are so pretty.

The real story happened in 1952 in paris.

I would recommend everyone to go to la traviata. everything was perfect. the one thing i would change about it if i could would be some of the seatings.

FYI i got the name and the voice types and the descriptions from this site. http://www.theopera101.com/operas/traviata/
Anonymous said…
eVolve17
Grade 6

I almost cried in act four. To most who do not know me, this is not much of a feat, but for those who have made acquaintance with me, they know that performances seldom take my emotions that far. Alfredo, Violetta, Annina and Germont sang a beautiful performance that carried the plot from start to finish. In act 1, when Violetta hosts her party, her duet with Alfredo and of course when she is singing to herself carries this light yet deep mood that threw so much emotion at you, it was a wonderful beginning. The second act that introduces Germont as he pleads with Violetta to leave his son, takes on a more intense vibe and adds so much more depth to the plot. It creates the first large conflict and shows a more serious side of Violetta. In act three a lot of problems with power come into play, Alfredo wants to show that he never loved Violetta (as revenge for leaving him) and treats her like a piece of garbage, saying that she was only acting as his courtesan. Act four really dramatizes the problem of power showing Violetta dying and poor as her last day of life dawns upon her. She is depressed and broke with nothing but her kindness and maid (Annina) left for her. When Alfredo and Germont make amends with her, the plot is taken to a whole other level as all is resolved and Violetta dies happy. The drama that this opera covers, holds nothing like I’ve ever seen before and although had a few repetitive themes that became tedious to watch, it kept my attention as a whole.
Part of the reason I think this opera was such a success is the talent of the performers. From the dancers to the singers the whole cast came together and created an amazing performance. Like I mentioned earlier, act 4 really had a huge emotional impact on me which left me speechless and amazed. I was able to appreciate every voice from the soprano’s to the altos, each part was beautiful in it’s own way. Although the body language acting was amazing, I felt even more drawn to the singing which really brought to life the heavy drama of La Traviata.

To be continued in another comment box...
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE46
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

“La Traviata” Opera Review At the Academy of Music
By Jonathan Xu
Beginning Statement: The dress rehearsal “La Traviata” at the Academy of Music was a colorful mixture of in-depth and well-rehearsed stage performance, absolutely astounding voices and vocal from the opera singers, and wonderful accompanying music from the orchestra. The staging, costumes, lighting, settings, and background gave a perfect vision of what might it have been like at the actual time this dress rehearsal portrays. I must remark at how greatly the singers portrayed the actual characters of “La Traviata” and I also must say that this dress rehearsal is so full of intensity and romance that I will always remember it as one of my most favorite memories of sixth grade and basically my entire childhood.
Plot & Characters: The performance portrayed and depicted the story of “La Traviata” staggeringly well. The “La Traviata” book that I read preceding the opera was so similar that I almost thought the director had wrote this book after it had been rehearsed and played. The plot was so well-organized that it had my attention engaged on the rehearsal the entire time, especially when Violetta was sitting on her deathbed. In the story, Violetta is a young, beautiful courtesan who is loved most dearly and truly by one of her acquaintances, Alfredo. Violetta eventually gives up her freedom and possessions for Alfredo and is about to marry him, but Germont, Alfredo’s father, does not want Violetta to marry Alfredo for fear that his daughter’s life will be ruined after the marriage. The plot deepens drastically when Alfredo is emotionally hurt when Violetta tells him to run away, and he turns into a rampage by throwing his gamble winnings at her. After that, he feels sorry, but he can no longer be forgiven, and the Baron has no more taste for Violetta. Later, she is in her deathbed, with tuberculosis getting the better of her, when Alfredo comes at the last moment and apologizes alongside his father Germont, who also apologizes for the suffering he caused Violetta. The story ends with Violetta’s death and the sorrow enshrouding Germont, Alfredo, and Violetta’s maid, Annina. The three main characters in “La Traviata” are Germont, Alfredo, and Violetta.
Music & Voices: The music and singing from the dress rehearsal/opera was stunningly well-done and explicitly powerful. I believe the voices of the opera singers, notably Lisette Oropesa, Alek Shrader, and Stephen Powell were extremely awe-inspiring and filled with liveliness. I cannot believe how powerful those voices were, projecting across the entire auditorium to the listeners and audience. I also thought that the music provided generously by the orchestra gave a well-sounding accompaniment to the singers and their voices. Together, the orchestra and the opera singers make a wonderful two-section opera. This is what I call an “eleven-star-opera-out-of-ten-stars”. It was truly stupefying to me. I could feel the music and energy churning through me.
To be continued....
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE17
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

Throughout the duration of the opera, I paid very close attention to the sets and costume designs, the fact of the matter is I have mixed feelings. The set wowed me with it’s gorgeous small touches but what really was breathtaking, was how the same background changed so much throughout the performance. The same patterns on the wall that portray Violetta’s fancy life in act 1, also fit in very well when she is in poverty. The chandeliers, doors and other furniture pieces gave small yet noticeable fun touches to the plot. For example, when Alfredo is singing to himself in act 2, I really enjoyed that he used the couch as a prop opposed to just standing. As for the costumes, I felt they were slightly inconsistent with the time period. In act 2 I felt the 1950’s theme came through the most (in terms of wardrobe) but in all the other scenes the fashion felt... old fashioned. As a whole, I feel the good decisions outweigh the bad but was still slightly disappointed in the wardrobe selections.
In this opera, the time period is totally different then when Verdi originally made it. I think that this was an amazing decision because it allowed us to relate to the plot whilst still keeping it in a conservative time period. Watching it in 2015, I think the time period change adds to the performance but that could be a whole different story if the opera was made in the 1950’s and people watched it in the 50’s. Knowing that the original opera did not take place in the 1950’s did not distract me the least bit from the performance, and if anything added to it by showing that the story is one that could work in many different time periods.
All in all, I think going to the opera was a good experience even though the strong emotions were a bit much for me. I would strongly recommend the performance to anybody who wants to be taken on an emotional roller coaster, but I myself would want to see a more comical opera in the future. For those of you out there ready to be more culturally well rounded and have an experience you’ll never forget, I would definitely suggest going to see La Traviata.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE42
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

Opera Review

Violetta is a courtesan rejected by society, but when a man named Alfredo Germont loves her, she goes off to live with him. Alfredo’s father is not happy about this. He breaks them up and finally brings Alfredo and Violetta back together, right before Violetta dies.
The music carried the characters and action forward because sometimes it was loud and dramatic, and you could tell what the characters were trying to make you feel. When the characters sung, it was so passionate and beautiful that it was impossible not to listen. For example, I loved it when Germont sang to Violetta and told her to leave Alfredo. He sounded so grave and serious about the welfare of his family.
The costumes and sets definitely enhanced the fact that Violetta was rich at the beginning and poor at the end, and how rich courtesans were. You could also tell that by the costumes how women were treated in society back then. Nearly all the women in the play were wearing dresses the whole time, and were always accompanied by rich men.
The Opera La Traviata takes place in the 1950s, and it updates the setting the composer imagined. The change adds to the flair and power of the piece. The 1950s were so grand, and the setting reflected that in every way.
I would absolutely recommend this Opera to my friends and family because of its emotion and power. The music was amazing! Plus, the actors made me feel exactly like I knew I should. Though I still wouldn’t recommend it to some of my smaller siblings, because of the parties that are shown in the play.
Anonymous said…
Evolve#7
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

The story of La Traviata was told dramatically and the orchestra played a vital role in the drama tale. The story kept me on my feet so much that during the scene at the 2nd party when Alfredo and the Baron got into a fight after tensions rose higher between them I was clamping my teeth to my knuckles.Alfredo is a middle class man who is deeply in love with violetta. Violetta was a lower class courtesan that was rejected by society and is suffering from consumption. she is unsure of the feeling that someone finally loves her. The Baron is a wealthy upper class man who gave Violetta money and wanted her heart until he learned her heart belonged to Alfredo.

The music played a huge role in keeping the momentum of the story especially when accompanied by Violetta or Germont. I thought The first three minutes were slow since the stage was still for that 2 minutes, but once the first scene starts, it gets better from there on out. During the performance my favorite character was violetta. The person who plays violetta is a indescribably talented young woman and I applaud her for her excellent performance.

The costumes were somewhat enhancing to the plot. They did show style of 1950’s paris but had a smaller amount of an emotional pull for me in the mood of the scene. The set was important and was an thin part of enhancing the plot. It made me think that it could have also been done without them. flora’s costume was my favorite due to the unique red top hat and thin red dress.

The composer intended the time period to be 1950’s Paris and it was. The composer set the time to that because it was a conservative time period. this opera showed me all about the conservative 50s in paris. putting La Traviata set a new view of the story so it neither really added power and new to the piece, took away power from the piece. It kept it the same.

My opinion of the entire opera performance is that it was told in ways that seemed to fit the Baroque period style. Since how everything came together from every unique costumes to every note the orchestra had to offer, I would recommend this to anybody that likes opera. I owe my biggest thank you to the philadelphia opera for making this possible for me and my classmates.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 23
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

La Traviata Review

I thought the opera was very good and I would like to say my full opinion on it. I am happy I learned the story beforehand because in the actual performance it never really told Violetta’s backstory. Otherwise the story was told very well. Violetta was a courtesan and had never experienced real love in her life. But she met a man named Alfredo and he loved her for real. Violetta realized that but Alfredo’s dad Germont said she and Alfredo could not be together. Violetta was dying with tuberculosis and at the end Germont tells Alfredo that he told Violetta to go away. Alfredo arrives at Violetta’s house just in time to see her take her last breath.
The music fit in really well with what was happening when it was played. When there was a sad scene the music slowed down and when there was a happy or energetic scene the music would speed up. All the actors voices were amazing and it was really cool how they could get their voices all the way through the theater.
The staging and costumes really helped me understand the plot. The staging really helped me understand how Alfredo just lived in a normal house and how Violetta has been saving up the money she gets from being a courtesan. The costumes helped helped me to realize it takes place in the baroque period where everything was over the top.
The setting was in Paris but at that time Giuseppe Verdi was forced to have the setting in Paris because he lived in Italy when it was not Italy and it was under the control of Paris. So he could’ve imagined the setting somewhere else.
I would recommend the opera to my friends and family because it was very dramatic, tragic, and exciting. I think they would really enjoy and I would also like to see another opera sometime.

Anonymous said…
The opera was wonderful! I loved the music and Violetta's voice was especially beautiful. It must be so hard for the actors to sing so loud and so well at the same time! The settings in all the scenes gave me a lot of information about the person living there. Overall, the opera was terrific!
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 24
6th Grade
BCMS


La Traviata is a dramatic story about a woman named Violetta and two men named Alfredo and Germont. Violetta is a courtesan who has fallen in love with Alfredo. Eventually Germont Alfredo’s dad comes along and convinces Violetta to break up with Alfredo and when he finally lets her into his family she dies of TB

The music helped show how the characters felt. When the music was low you could tell that they were either angry or sad. When it was higher pitched most of the time they were happy. In Act ll the Baron and Alfredo were fighting and there voices were low and angry. Also when everybody was singing at the party the music was fast and higher pitched.

The sets and costumes really showed how wealthy these people were and how some people lived and looked in the 1950’s. Violetta’s house has beautiful wall panels, furniture and doors. For Violetta her magnificent dresses and accessories really made her look flawless. In the end Violetta loses all of her money and her wall panels are on the floor. Like they were torn down.

The setting of this opera is not the same setting as the composer imagined. Its has been updated overtime. Verdi wanted it to be in his day and age. But it was changed to the 1950’s. The change makes it more modern and adds power because of the new beauty.


I would suggest this to a friend because most of my friends are very dramatic and this has a dramatic story line.
Anonymous said…
Barrett
7th grade
LMS
I really enjoyed the opera. I loved the sets and the costumes. Plus the actors were amazing and I really enjoyed hearing them sing. I thought the story was very interesting and the music was beautiful. I had a lot of fun at the opera and I really enjoyed the time I had there.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 34
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

I have never seen an opera before, but by my standards, the plot was very dramatic. Alfredo, a semi-wealthy gentleman, and Violetta, a courtesan, were truly in love, but Giorgio Germont deeply disagreed. The moments between Violetta and Alfredo duets, along with the Violetta and Germont duet were very expressive, dramatic, and breathtaking. It was very easy to tell what personality the characters had, and what they were thinking/feeling. It was especially easy to ‘read’ Alfredo’s feelings, for example at Flora’s party, he had everybody’s eyes while he was on stage. I was especially engaged in the final scene, Violetta was amazing in her death scene, singing in the most uncomfortable positions, and doing it very well. Excellent job to all the Actors and Actresses, as well as the director.
As I mentioned before, I think Violetta had an amazing voice, and this role definitely showed it. My favorite duet/aria overall was the Violetta and Germont duet, when Germont told Violetta to ‘get away’ from Alfredo. I personally enjoy and appreciate music, I play violin and like to sing, and this opera definitely hit music hard. What else can I say? Music was almost literally the whole opera, and it was sung/played well.
When the curtain rose, the one thought that ran through my head was, “Wow”. the set was 100% Baroque, crowded with chandeliers and other decor. My only comment there would be more exotic clothing and accessories. But otherwise, I think the stage crew did an excellent job with the lighting, costumes, and set. What I do like about the costumes is that Flora and Violetta stand out. They have on the brightest colors (red, deep blue) which I think makes it easier for the actors to not have not draw attention to themselves with only their voice and their movements.
The setting is the one part of the Opera that slightly confused me. I think that is mainly my fault, but the book confused me on which time period they actually used, the one Verdi intended (1950)or the one Verdi ended up using (19th Century). Again, that is not the Opera's fault. The performance did make it clear that it took place in Paris, that part of the setting I did understand.
Overall, I think that this is a pretty good opera. In general, opera is not my favorite form of theatre, and I have not seen any other operas to judge very well, but I think this is a very good performance. I would recommend this opera to anyone who likes to sing and/or hear others sing. Once again, I think this is a wonderful opera, Bravo and Brava to anyone who helped this take flight!



Audrey said…
Audrey
10th Grade
Villa Maria Acadamey
I think this Opera was perfect!! I have read the book before, and I was surprised that all of actors expressed the context, people's emotions, and etc. completely!! That was the best one I have watched in the US. Also, I was so so enjoy the music and voice!! They sang perfectly. Thank you so much to give me such nice memory.
Anonymous said…
evolve41
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

La Traviata is an opera that is about Violetta, a courtesan in the 1950s in Paris, France. One day, Violetta is at a party and a man named Alfredo admits he loves her and asks her to come live with him. Violetta agrees. When Violetta is happily living with Alfredo, Alfredo’s father (Germont) comes and tells her it would be better if she leaves him. After a lot of reasoning with Germont, Violetta finally sends a letter to Alfredo telling him she has to leave. Alfredo gets very angry and disgraces Violetta at a party in front of all the other rich people there. While Violetta is dying of tuberculosis, a lung disease, Alfredo and Germont come to visit her and say they’re sorry. Violetta forgives them a few minutes before she dies.
The music in the opera was magnificent, and I thought it carried the characters and action forward. Violetta’s voice was my favorite, especially when I thought of how hard it would be to sing so loud and so high-pitched at the same time. I don’t really have a favorite aria or duet, but I thought the duet with Germont and Violetta in the second scene could get a little tedious.
I thought the clothes and let you know that the characters were wealthy and important figures. Violetta’s bright blue dress in the first scene made her stand out. I knew right away that she was the main character. I also counted about four or five chandeliers in the first scene, which is another sign of wealthiness. In Alfredo’s house, though, there are no chandeliers and Violetta is wearing less fancy clothes, which tells you that Alfredo has enough money to survive, but he is not as wealthy as the other men in the opera.
It was the 1950s in the opera, which is the century Verdi wanted to make it when he first wrote La Traviata. I think this update makes the opera better, because the setting of the opera was great and definitely wasn’t a distraction from the actual opera.
I would recommend this opera for anyone older than sixteen because I found it too mature for my age. I also thought it was too dramatic and it made me uncomfortable. I’m sure adults would love this, though.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE #43
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

La Traviata tells about a young woman and courtesan, Violetta, who is dying of Tuberculosis and yet carries on like nothing is wrong. At one of her many parties, she meets a non-wealthy man, unlike the others, named Alfredo. Alfredo is madly in love with Violetta and completely adores her, and has for over a year. Throughout the party, Violetta begins to fall in love with him, and is soon infatuated. Later in the opera, Violetta and Alfredo are living together when, while Alfredo is out, Violetta gets a surprise visit from Alfredo's father. He convinces her to leave Alfredo, supposedly for the "good of the family name.". Violetta, heartbroken, leaves her new house-and her many debts toward it- and goes back to her life of parties and fun. However, at a ball at Flora's (another courtesan), Alfredo shows up and publicly shames himself and Violetta. In the last act, Violetta has a few hours left. At the last moment, Alfredo shows up, Germont (Alfredo's father) realizes what a jerk he was to separate them, and Violetta dies in Alfredo's arms. I enjoyed this opera immensely. The performers were amazing, incredibly talented. And I am not just saying that. I couldn't take my eyes off of the stage, and I must admit, I cried a few dozen salty tears throughout the course of the opera.
The singers/actors were honestly gifted. Beautiful voices, and combined with the talented orchestra, that made for an amazing show. Especially Lisette Oropesa. She was an absolutely incredible singer and deserved the role up, down, sideways and backwards. Scene two act two part two (the party at Flora's) I found amusing and was sung and staged brilliantly. The orchestra matched perfectly and exceeded my expectations, and the singers were amazing.
The sets were done absolutely perfectly. The fact that it was all one set but different sets was mind boggling. You would look at one set, then a scene or an act later, there would be a completely new one, or so it seemed, in a matter of minutes. Also, there were plenty of chandeliers, which signified wealthiness in the first house. The costumes were absolutely gorgeous. They fit the time period, they looked to match the character and they helped describe the scenes. I adored watching the outfits change from scene to scene, especially Flora and Violetta’s. The staging was just amazing. It made the scenes seem so real! I loved watching how the director had set up everything to demonstrate how the people were moving and where they were and what class they were in. Truly brilliant job.
The opera was set in the 1950s, a very conservative time.The time period was completely different from how the composer expected, but it still made sense. The 1950's were a time when it was unexpected for a woman to speak out, let alone be a courtesan and date many men. Violetta had a lot of power over her life being a courtesan in this time period, so by loving Alfredo, she wasn't sure whether it was worth it to give it up. The actors and actresses and directors portrayed this time period very well.
I absolutely adored La Traviata. It was done brilliantly and I thought the actors and actresses did an amazing job! As for the costume and set designers and directors, well, my compliments to you. That was just as good as any Broadway musical I've seen! Orchestra and Conductor: you played very well, and I applaud you. Your job is an incredibly important one, supplying the music for the entire opera. I would recommend this to any of my friends and family, and I believe they would think the same as me- you guys did an amazing job! Keep up the great work La Traviata cast, crew and orchestra, and keep on doing great operas
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 16
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

Seeing La Traviata made my perspective about Operas change, I thought Operas were boring and was just about people singing. La traviata had people moving and dancing so much more than other Operas that I’ve seen. The story line was also so emotional and exciting I almost couldn’t keep up with what was going on. The music was very dramatic and quick at some times like the times when they were arguing, but was also very slow and soft at others times like when Violetta was crying. I loved this Opera’s storyline and how it was performed that I want to watch it again.

I loved how Verdi told the performance dramatically using yelling, emotional scenes, and loud music. I was very engaged in the story of how this hard working, smart, courtesan ends up loving this man called Alfredo, giving up all her beauty, money, and life for him. Alfredo expresses so much love to Violetta making her love him even more. Alfredo loves her so much that it pushes her to the point that she extremely loves Alfredo and wants to marry him. Then there is Germont, Alfredo’s dad is selfish, unkind, and only cares about his family honor. He refuses Alfredo to marry Violetta and convinces Violetta urging her to break up with Alfredo because she is a courtesan and he wants nothing to do with her. In the end he realizes that Violetta was good enough to be apart of their family.

I also loved the orchestra in the little orchestra pit. The pieces they played seemed very hard and advanced to play, especially with the Opera singers singing too. The music and Opera flowed together and I could hear the melody of the orchestra playing very well. The music also helped put the story together by having their actions go with the music. Also, when they had arguments it seemed that they repeated some words to really emphasize their argument. In the beginning Violetta’s singing was all jumpy because she was being funny, but when it got closer to the end her singing was more and more serious. The duets seemed to be a bit more intense than airas but arias weren’t peaceful at all.

The set and costume designing was also very interesting. There were chandeliers to show wealth and in differents places there were different amount of chandeliers. There were different mood of lights like in parties it was well lighted, but in Violetta’s little apartment it was poorly lighted. The costumes also changed too, when in parties Violetta dresses nicely, in her house she dresses formally, and in her poor apartment she dresses in a bloody nightgown. The setting of the story was in the 1950s in and around the city Paris. The story was in the 1950s because it showed the conservative time period when women were treated differently.

The Opera La Traviata was spectacular and so amazing that I would love to see it again with my family, friends, and even people I don’t know because that is how amazing this Opera is and how well everyone performed it. The production was amazing and I would believe that others would say so too. The music and singing was especially special and it made the experience a once in a lifetime one.

Staging: The staging was considerably well-done. The lighting managed to focus on the main singer at every moment, and the costumes that the opera singers and dancers wore fit in the picture pretty well. The sets in the background showed the perfect setting of where the actors were, and the dresses and suits of the men and women in the opera reflected their status & position (in terms of how rich they were). One thing I would recommend is that I would probably retry some of the curtain-falling, because I saw a glitch in one of the scenes of Act II. So’s to say that it should be better done next time, but the general staging and sets were really interesting to see, and I think that it has given me some interest in the way that people dressed in history. The staging crew did a proficient job handling the scenes.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 16 (PART II)
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

Setting: The setting is in the 1950s, the updated time version of Giuseppe Verdi’s “La Traviata”, which was first depicted in the 1600-1700s. The setting that Verdi initially used was disliked strongly by government officials, who compelled the composer to change his setting from the mid-nineteenth century period, which he originally chose, to the early eighteenth century, during the reign of Louis XIV, the current King of France at that time. This provoked the audience’s anger, because they already knew that Giuseppe Verdi had intended the period of his opera to be the contemporary mid-1800s. Many operas of La traviata still play in the time period the government censors persuaded Verdi to change to. But the dress rehearsal we saw was in the 1950s, inside Paris during parties and outside in the countryside during common life. I believe that the time 1950s sort of adds additional power, because the 1950s were a conservative time, and the story all evolved around power, romance, and death.


The updating to the 1950s was a very good choice, because Violetta’s position would be very understandable, as most women stayed at home to cook, clean, and care for children.

My Opinion: I would definitely recommend this performance to my family and many friends. I believe that this opera showed a great detail of the struggles of and between power during the conservative times (1950s) and how Violetta is being pulled in between many struggles and hardships, including her tuberculosis and her love affairs. The opera was very well-rehearsed and had a very good amount of content and explicit attributes to increase the amount of excitement that an audience will experience when seeing the opera. The voices especially provoked my interest, because before then I always thought there were little miniature microphones stuck on the costumes of the opera singers, and little did I know of how powerful those voices were (without microphones) before I attended the dress rehearsal. I was simply left speechless when I heard the voices projecting across the gigantically enormous auditorium, which was by the way excellent architecture, and the enhancing of the orchestra’s music. I should definitely recommend it to my friends & families.
Alyannah said…
Alyannah
10th
Chartertech HS for the Performing Arts

The plot and characters were amazing. They followed the story line. Violetta was played beautifully and amazingly, by Lisette Oropease. The pitch and notes were beautiful. She was into the songs like she meant every word and enjoyed being on stage. High soprano notes, were wow. She gave her all into those notes and I was very shocked, but amazed when she went to those very high pitches. Alfredo was played sweetly, by Alek Shrader. He was very into his character, but he needed to project his voice more. It was somewhat hard to hear him, even though I had front row seats. His voice was soothing. Both of them combined was beautiful. You can hear the harmony and passion for their part they shared together. During some of the music that I know I really wanted to sing with. I was translating the Italian version everyone sang, to the English version.

The staging of the Opera was phenomenal. Everyone was dressed up fancy, like for a royal ball. The staging perfectly matched the scenes of the Opera. For an example, during Act 1 the staging was fancy with a staircase and the actors/actresses were dressed very very high glasses. Everything was sparkling and looked expensive, along with the actors/actresses. Everyone on staged, looked like a million bucks and fabulous. Violetta’s dressed were beautiful and speechless, completely stunning. The purple and red dresses, I could not keep my eyes off the dress and the jewelry. The men had wonderful suits on, along with the girls in their dresses. The setting was just like how Verdi described it. The moods were set nicely by the orchestra, staging, and the actors/actresses costume. The mood was changed by how the orchestra played. You could tell when something was exciting or when tension build. It was played perfectly and soothing. I loved how when they tuned before each act. I would love to hear the orchestra play again.

Overall the performance was phenomenal. I had such a great and wonderful time at the Opera. My favorite scene was the Zingarelle and the Mattadori sung and during Flora’s Party. It was the most craziest scene I seen. When the dancers and Marquie stripped their shirts off. Oh my goodness, I was in pure heaven. They all had amazing muscles, abs, v-lines, and hair. I could die for them. I want a picture or their numbers. I couldn’t keep my eyes off them. It was crazy and enjoyable. I’d love to have the Opera recorded, especially Flora’s Party played over and over. The dancers were so hot and sexy, I can’t or will never get that amazing image out of my head. It was a strip show or Magic Mike Show!! I loved it!! When they disappeared, I was thinking, “ Come back! Take me with you!” I could not stop talking about that scene. This was also a reason I like Opera. But I like Opera by the music and how the actors/actresses were giving meaning into what they did. I loved the harmonizing they did and how everything fit great together. It was peaceful. Most Opera’s make me fall asleep, but this Opera kept me awake and interested in.
Louisa said…

Louisa
Grade 10
Chartertech HS for the Performing Arts


La Traviata was a marvelous production and I would watch that Opera over and over again.
Nick said…
Nick
Grade 10
CharterTech HS for the Performing Arts

La Traviata was my first opera I've ever been to, so I didn't know what to expect upon arrival of the show. I must say however, I was thoroughly intrigued by the content of the show. From the phenomenal singing and acting, to the engaging and crisp sounds of the orchestra, I was pleased through all three acts with the product of the opera. All three acts were fresh and offered great drama and singing, and was a great first time experience. The characters were well developed and unique, and their voices worked wonders for the whole show. Overall, I enjoyed La Traviata, and highly recommend it to all opera enthusiasts.
Anonymous said…
evolve 3
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School


I saw the outstanding opera La Traviata. The characters performed very dramatically. The main character was a young courtesan named Violetta. Disdained by most of society but tolerated by the rich people. Then a young middle class man named Alfredo confessed his love for her. This created a dilemma for her. Then she had to decide between her love for Alfredo or wealth.
The music was wonderful. The music helped move the spirit of the scenes many times during the opera. One example of this was when Alfredo solemnly sang to Violetta of his love for her. This led into the next scene, where Violetta begs to be part of the family. The aria that gets me entranced in the opera is when she is about to die all hunched over but still singing just as loud as when she normally sings and a lot higher for a lot longer.
I noticed that the costumes for Violetta and Flora stood out so you could easily spot them. I also realized there were so many chandeliers and discovered that they were to show that Violetta and Flora were rich. I saw in the scene when Violetta dies that it was a small room which makes you focus on her.
The setting of the opera was 1950’s Paris, France. The time period Verdi performed it in was the 1700’s. There was an update in the time period by 250 years. I thought the modified time and place added to the power of the opera since the 1950’s was a more conservative time period then the present.
I would recommend this opera to anyone because of the great singing and dancing. The wonderful set and costumes were worth the one and a half hour drive there and back. I would also recommend this opera because of it’s outstanding plot. This opera’s setting could not have been any better than it was. All around this was the best opera ever.
Anonymous said…
Daniela
Grade 12
Charter Tech HS for the Performing Arts

Watching La Traviata was a very engaging experience. It has definitely been the best opera performance I have ever watched. The staging was spot on as well as the actors. The story was brought to life in a way I never thought possible. It was full of emotion, passion, sadness, and anger. Violetta caught my attention the most. When she came on the stage I gave her my full of attention and it did not wander off for a split second. Her presence on the stage brought in every emotion there was to feel. The woman who played her clearly put in the work to be the best she could be and exceeded my expectations. It was very entertaining and I would without a hesitation recommend my friends and family to watch La Traviata. Everybody worked together to put on an amazing show and it did not disappoint me at all.
Sarah said…
Grade 12
Chartertech High School For the Performing Arts

La Traviata was a captivating opera that was at times heartwarming and at other times heart wrenching. The tragic story of the Parisian courtesan Violetta was told with beautiful sets and costumes, and even more beautiful music. Of the several opera's that I've seen, the incredible voices and acting easily made La Traviata my favorite so far. With all of these things combined, I was pulled in as an audience member into 1950s Paris.
Shanelly said…
Shanelly
12th Grade
Charter Tech High School

La Triviata was one of the best operas I have ever been to. It tops any other opera I have been to. If I could, I would watch it again. It was beautiful, Violetta's voice was wonderful.
Amanda said…
Amanda
Grade 12
Charter Tech High School

La Traviata was a very great opera. I thoroughly enjoyed how well the actors and actresses portrayed their characters. Violetta was my favorite she took control of the stage with confidence and I believed her character.
Anonymous said…
Joe
12th grade
Charter-tech

The performance was absolutely beautiful and the lead was perfect. She had very good presence and she sung the notes perfectly with great dynamics. The sets looked great and had very good effects. The only problem I had was really with the tenor who played the lead, he was good, but not as good as he could have been. The higher notes he sang were a little nasal and became annoying towards the end. Other then that it was spectacular.
Aulbany said…
Aulbany
12th Grade
Charter Tech High School

La Traviata was the first opera I ever saw and I thought it was absolutely great. For one thing, the set and the opera house itself were some of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. The set was so intricate and elegant, it was definitely one of the best parts of the opera. Also, the main character Violetta was completely breathtaking. I was speechless at the end of the opera because her voice was so beautiful it was almost unreal. My favorite part of the opera was the songs with the gypsies and the matadors because I enjoyed the dancing and all the costumes.
Khamira said…
Khamira
12th Grade
Charter Tech High School for the Performing Arts

La Traviata is now my favorite opera out all of the ones I have seen. I enjoyed the fact that the story was dramatic but there was also comedy to it. I liked how it took place outside of Paris, France in the 1950's, the aspects of that time showed the plot well. My favorite character was Violetta. She sang beautifully and was entertaining as a character. My favorite scene was Act 2 Scene 2, everyone in the building was laughing and it was a great vibe. Overall, I enjoyed my time at the Opera Philadelphia, and it was a great experience.
Justin said…
Justin
grade 12
Charter Tech

I Loved the music also the acting was great.
But the photograph would come in front of my row and block the stage.
Also i think that it was to mature for some of the ages in the student.
Norayma said…
Norayma
Grade: 11th
CharterTech Performing Arts High School
The plot was amazing. I felt really engaged in the plot. The plot was very vivid with the rich look. I loved how the plot fit every situation. It had a lot of rich colors like creme, baby blue, gold, shiny grey, white, etc. The Characters made us feel like apart of the play. The way they sang and acted felt very real. It was all very dramatically told.
I do believe the music really carried the characters and actions forward. If there was a fighting scene then they had like hype, strong music. When Alfredo was punched by Germont because he disrespected Violetta by calling her out and throwing money at her in front of everyone at the Gypsy scene, everyone gaps n whispered in anger and shock that he would have the nerves to disrespect a lady like that. All of these effects and drama made him seem less of a real man.
The staging was phenomenal. I feel like the characters were in the correct place at the right time. Their timing with staging, sets, and costumes were always on point at all times. They had the correct costumes for the right scenes. At the Ball scene all the women had these beautiful ball gowns with stunning jewelry. The men all had these nice and cleaned up suits with ties and bow ties.
The update of the opera has definitely added a lot of power to La Traviata. It fits the piece perfectly. This change definitely helps us understand more what's going on in the opera and what it's about. It tells the opera clearly. We are able to get a feel on what's going on between all the characters and settings.
I would definitely recommend to my friends and family to go see this opera. Overall it was completely amazing. The characters, sets, and costumes were all stunning and very believable. I love
how I felt part of it the entire time watching the opera. I would totally go back if I could to see it all over again. It was worth watching.
Jaselyn said…
Jaselyn
12th Grade
CharterTech High School for the Performing Arts


I loved the set, costumes, and the staging. I felt like I was in the Cinderella ball. The patterns of the walls made the set stand out a lot. Especially when the chorus came out dressed formal it made the set look complete.The way the characters’ voices blended with the orchestra sounded really nicely. My favorite song was when Violetta was singing alone in her room not feeling well. I like how she showed emotion combined with the orchestra. My favorite parts of the opera were also when the full chorus came out and sang and danced. I really liked the way the harmonization's sounded as a chorus it sounded very powerful.
Brandy said…
Brandy
11th Grade
Charter Tech High School

La Traviata was extremely fascinating, i loved the plot of the story and I more than anything had so much joy to the lead soloist. From the beautiful scenes, to the chorus, as well for the orchestra. My favorite act was when the Brindisi song was being sung, it brought so much joy to me and really did make me fell like i was attending the event on stage. As for characters, Violetta really has a beautiful and gifted voice, something that i couldn't take my eyes off and every time she would hit her notes for every song it would only get better and better. I've always heard these notes through the internet but when i had just a great opportunity to see La Traviata up close and see the famous Violetta, it only added to the opera and made it more breathtaking. La Traviata was absolutely amazing to watch, i would love to watch the opera again with all of the same amazing and talented characters, overall the opera couldn't had been any better.


Leslie said…
Leslie
10th Grade
Charter Tech High School for the Performing Arts

La Traviata is the very first opera that I have seen. I enjoyed all the acts and the matter of fact that I got to see my Vocal Teacher as the part of the chorus people. I liked the fact that a very first class prostitute found love but eventually died at the end. My favorite character was Alfredo . Alfredo found the love of his life but eventually thought that the love of his life left him all alone. My favorite scene was Act 2 Scene 2. The Act was just fun , you could tell that the whole entire crew was having fun and enjoying themselves . In conclusion , I would come and see other production that Opera Philly has to offer .
Lizzy said…
Lizzy
Charter-Tech High School of the Performing Arts
11th

La Traviata. This opera was one of the best that I saw yet. It was very interacting and fun to watch. La Traviata was very well put together. The chorus and the soloist were well done. The best scenes with the best songs would be Act 2 Scene 2. Zingarelle and Mattadori songs were the best songs and got the most reaction out of all the crowd. It was very interesting. The way the chorus and how they made the songs more interesting and fun for the audience. It shocked many students at how well these songs were put together.
Even though this opera was well put together and very entertaining. It did have it’s okay areas. When Alfredo's father didn’t leave when he visited his and Violetta’s house. It was very dragged on and made that little piece seem very boring and some of the audience would be lost in their own worlds. Even more so when Alfredo would just being playing with the tennis racket and pout when Violetta left him. During these moments the audience would be lost.
All together though. La Traviata was well put together. It was very engaging and very inserting to watch. La Traviata is my favorite opera.
Camille said…
Camille
11th Grade
Charter Tech High School
La Traviata was not my first opera but it is one of my favorites it was my first time in opera Philadelphia and the whole scenery was beautiful.I was able to see the chorus members practice and it sounded magnificent. during the show when I herd Violetta's voice it gave me chills I personally never herd anyone sing that high before.I loved the whole show.i enjoyed everything and I had a wonderful time.
Anonymous said…
Violetta falls in love with alfredo at the party in the beggining when he was trying to talk to her.When alfredo’s father Germont finds out that both of them are in love with each other , Germont opposes.When Germont demands her to breakup with Alfredo.When she does alfredo get mad and starts to gamble.At the end of the play I started to get bored because I knew that she was going to die from TB (Tuberculosuos).

The music carried the action because the soft voices get louder to show frustration in the characters .For instance when alfredo was mad at her his voice was loud and firm to indicate how mad he is.When they sing with high voices that means that they are excited.For example when Alfredo was trying to persuade Violeta to marry him ,but Violeta makes it exciting by making her voice high.

Sets,costumes,staging all of these things describe the scenes, sad scenes,arguing scenes ,and so on .For instance when violettas in bed with blood every where that shows that she's dying with TB and that's what make depressing scenes.When Alfredo finds out that violetta is breaking up with him.When Violetta finds him gambling he starts throwing money at her to show hate.That's what makes dramatic scenes.When violetta dies that shows sad scenes.

This is a opera that has never been redun because it is a very old song which means something.Directors might of changed some things but they didnt do major changes.This opera is taking place near Paris in France.The changes add much power and more realisticness.An example would be blood on the bed to show that she is dying from TB (tuberculosous).

I would recommend this to friends and family because it has meaning which is important and it is realistic .If they like drama that's the place to go.
Anonymous said…
Evolve#15
grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School


Violetta falls in love with alfredo at the party in the beggining when he was trying to talk to her.When alfredo’s father Germont finds out that both of them are in love with each other , Germont opposes.When Germont demands her to breakup with Alfredo.When she does alfredo get mad and starts to gamble.At the end of the play I started to get bored because I knew that she was going to die from TB (Tuberculosuos).

The music carried the action because the soft voices get louder to show frustration in the characters .For instance when alfredo was mad at her his voice was loud and firm to indicate how mad he is.When they sing with high voices that means that they are excited.For example when Alfredo was trying to persuade Violeta to marry him ,but Violeta makes it exciting by making her voice high.

Sets,costumes,staging all of these things describe the scenes, sad scenes,arguing scenes ,and so on .For instance when violettas in bed with blood every where that shows that she's dying with TB and that's what make depressing scenes.When Alfredo finds out that violetta is breaking up with him.When Violetta finds him gambling he starts throwing money at her to show hate.That's what makes dramatic scenes.When violetta dies that shows sad scenes.

This is a opera that has never been redun because it is a very old song which means something.Directors might of changed some things but they didnt do major changes.This opera is taking place near Paris in France.The changes add much power and more realisticness.An example would be blood on the bed to show that she is dying from TB (tuberculosous).

I would recommend this to friends and family because it has meaning which is important and it is realistic .If they like drama that's the place to go.
Anonymous said…
Evolve#15
grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School


Violetta falls in love with alfredo at the party in the beggining when he was trying to talk to her.When alfredo’s father Germont finds out that both of them are in love with each other , Germont opposes.When Germont demands her to breakup with Alfredo.When she does alfredo get mad and starts to gamble.At the end of the play I started to get bored because I knew that she was going to die from TB (Tuberculosuos).

The music carried the action because the soft voices get louder to show frustration in the characters .For instance when alfredo was mad at her his voice was loud and firm to indicate how mad he is.When they sing with high voices that means that they are excited.For example when Alfredo was trying to persuade Violeta to marry him ,but Violeta makes it exciting by making her voice high.

Sets,costumes,staging all of these things describe the scenes, sad scenes,arguing scenes ,and so on .For instance when violettas in bed with blood every where that shows that she's dying with TB and that's what make depressing scenes.When Alfredo finds out that violetta is breaking up with him.When Violetta finds him gambling he starts throwing money at her to show hate.That's what makes dramatic scenes.When violetta dies that shows sad scenes.

This is a opera that has never been redun because it is a very old song which means something.Directors might of changed some things but they didnt do major changes.This opera is taking place near Paris in France.The changes add much power and more realisticness.An example would be blood on the bed to show that she is dying from TB (tuberculosous).

I would recommend this to friends and family because it has meaning which is important and it is realistic .If they like drama that's the place to go.
Anonymous said…
eVOLVE 14

The performance told told the story very dramatically, and the characters were able to make it very interesting. Violetta was my favorite dramatic character, and she livened up the show. Though I thought that at her death scene, it was a little tedious watching her fall to the ground and then start singing again.

I thought that the music definitely carried the characters and action, especially at the death scene, when the music seemed to pick her up again whenever she fell. But at some points, it was a little to ongoing of the same thing.

The sets and costumes really helped the show out, by showing the main point. Violetta’s transition from a wealthy courtesan to a woman who gave up everything for love. That component was pretty important to the plot.

The time period was updated to the conservative 1950’s, and the change really showed how badly women were treated, and how they had little to no power. It also showed how different some people were in terms of wealth and power, not even decided by their gender. When you saw Alfredo and the Baron stand next to each other, you can see the difference in their clothes, and their overall appearance.

I would definitely recommend this performance to my friends and family, because the music and singing was amazing, and the staging and costumes backed them up.
Anonymous said…
Riannah
8th grade
Cw Henry School

When our class went to go see the opera yesterday it was really cool. I know for me that it opened a new window to see so many new and wonderful things that I would love to learn more about in the future. This opera trip showed me that acting in a opera is way different then acting in a movie. I say that its different because in the show all the costumes, and makeup, and just acting itself was just really dramatic. just seeing the story told like that really had me focused on everything thats was happing in the story. Like when I saw Violetta fighting her illness just so she can try and learn to love Alfredo. But then she is told by his father that they can no longer be together. Violetta had gotten sicker and her and Alfredo got back together but it was already to late for Violetta and she had died in her lovers arms.

During the opera the duet that really got to me was the one with Violetta and Germont. The reason it really got to me is because when Germont came over Violetta and Alfredo's house and told Violetta that she can not be with his son anymore just because of her job. It was just the pure sorrow in her eyes. You could see it all over her face and her actions. Also the music showed the tension between the two. It was just a really emotional.

Seeing the set at the opera was just really fantastic. It showed the type of things that had and used back in that time period. They showed what the people had wore in those times too.

I would recommend this opera to my friends and family members. I would recommend this opera because it for one is one of the most well known and fantastic shows. I enjoyed it a lot and I think other people would too. La Travita is a beautiful and emotional opera that every one should go see. If you are a opera lover I think you should definitely should go see this show if you are a opera lover.
Anonymous said…
Nneoma
8th Grade
Charles W. Henry School

La Traviata is truly an amazing work of art that didn't deserve to be looked down on. This play tells a story about a sort of forbidden love between a man and a sickly courtesan. The performance was perfect and it told the story in a spectacular way. The characters were amazing and they portrayed their characters very well. This play had me engaged from the very beginning to the end.

I think the music was great and it was relevant in every scene. Violetta's singing was enchanting, but I felt that Germont's voice was sort of bland and it didn't really fit the main character that I was thinking of. Everyone sang really well and I would definitely come back for another performance. (Sorry Germont, but that was just my opinion. Your performance was still amazing, though.)

The costumes and sets fit the time era exactly. It was almost as if they were actually in the 20th century. It even looked like they made the plot better with the staging. I personally thought that the 20th century time period was kind of boring, but this play showed me the opposite. It showed me that some things in Paris were beautiful beautiful and extremely elegant.

The setting in the play felt very accurate to the story. I bet it was every bit of what the director imagined it to be, and maybe even better. Even though the same multi-door background was shown in every scene, I still felt like the characters were in a different setting in each act. It was probably the props that transformed the settings. But, they really showed what Paris in the 1900s would look like.

After watching the play, I felt like everyone did an awesome job at making this tragic tale come to life. The music was perfect, the setting was beautiful, and the characters were on point. They did a great job choosing the cast and I thought that Violetta was breathtaking. They really gave it their all on this project. I would definitely come back for another show. I recommend this to everyone my age and older. Thank you for this unforgettable experience.
Anonymous said…
Nneoma
8th Grade
Charles W. Henry School

La Traviata is truly an amazing work of art that didn't deserve to be looked down on. This play tells a story about a sort of forbidden love between a man and a sickly courtesan. The performance was perfect and it told the story in a spectacular way. The characters were amazing and they portrayed their characters very well. This play had me engaged from the very beginning to the end.

I think the music was great and it was relevant in every scene. Violetta's singing was enchanting, but I felt that Germont's voice was sort of bland and it didn't really fit the main character that I was thinking of. Everyone sang really well and I would definitely come back for another performance. (Sorry Germont, but that was just my opinion. Your performance was still amazing, though.)

The costumes and sets fit the time era exactly. It was almost as if they were actually in the 20th century. It even looked like they made the plot better with the staging. I personally thought that the 20th century time period was kind of boring, but this play showed me the opposite. It showed me that some things in Paris were beautiful beautiful and extremely elegant.

The setting in the play felt very accurate to the story. I bet it was every bit of what the director imagined it to be, and maybe even better. Even though the same multi-door background was shown in every scene, I still felt like the characters were in a different setting in each act. It was probably the props that transformed the settings. But, they really showed what Paris in the 1900s would look like.

After watching the play, I felt like everyone did an awesome job at making this tragic tale come to life. The music was perfect, the setting was beautiful, and the characters were on point. They did a great job choosing the cast and I thought that Violetta was breathtaking. They really gave it their all on this project. I would definitely come back for another show. I recommend this to everyone my age and older. Thank you for this unforgettable experience.
Anonymous said…
Ricky
C.W. Henry
8th
About Last month, i had went to this opera called La Traviata and i really enjoyed it. What was really amazing was how nothing went wrong during the show. However, There was no leg room was no leg room.But here is my review for this opera.
Plotwise, it was exactly like the liberetto and original show. There were PG13 scenes but it really did not ruin anything. The Characters felt so real to me. they were excited to be there. I would give the plot a 10/10 everything was like the original. I loved the beautiful Music. they were very talented. I also noticed some of the songs because we watched it on youtube. I think the music had an impact on the characters it refined and reflected their performance. Voices were very loud and brimming and clear. But the original opera is in french so they had a board so they could show the words. There were lots of musical numbers. I think my favorite one was the one at the party. so Music and vocals 10/10

Moving onto the staging. Staging really enhanced the plot and setting for example In Violetta's and Alfredo's House you could see repo men taking taking everything out this setting feels like their house. The costumes actually define the characters by telling us what they looked like and dressed like. For example Violetta's outfits were big Violet Dress and a Red Dress. While Alfredo looked like a man who had a green shirt and wore a suit. it was Beautiful i would rate this 10/10.

The setting for this play is very accurate. Nothing was off everything was in the right place. It felt like it was the 1950's in Paris. I felt like i was in the 1950's. I loved the scene at Violetta's Party if i could describe it i would say it looked very rich and fancy and very lavish. My favorite prop is the white piano Violetta stood on. I would rate the setting 10/10.

So in my opinion this opera was great, It had got many applauds and feed back from many kids from different schools it's PG13 so i would recommend 13+ and adults because of some scenes. Honestly, They should make a sequel showing what happened to Alfredo after Violetta Passed away. So i would rate the whole thing 10 stars and 30/30 I loved this Opera. And that was my review for La Traviata. So if you have not seen it i think you should see it.
Anonymous said…
Jaren
8th Grade
C.W.Henry School, Mt. Airy
The performance of La Traviata I went to see was amazing. The singing, and dancing, and costumes were great, and the story was well done. The story of Violetta, a courtesan and her lover Alfredo is a sad one. But it isn't without it's funny moments.
The music was well performed and added to the performance. There was happy, dramatic, and sad music. But it all moved the story forward. It helped dramatic moments keep going and made the climax that much more emotionally charged and exciting.
The set used was well put together and neat. I like how well they transitioned and how interesting the setting looked. But I liked and I think it made the story that much better.
The setting of the opera was really important. I liked how historically accurate it was and how loyal it was to the original story. it showed how important it was to be elegant in 1950s France.
If i could have brought my friends and family i would have. I think it was great and that it couldn't have been better. if i could go see it again, i would have.
Anonymous said…
David
8th grade
Charles W. Henry School

I enjoyed the opera La Traviata very much. The performance was very dramatic. THe plot had me captivated and so did the fascinating characters. Violetta a courtesan who is kind and lavish meets Alfredo a man from a wealthy family who professes his love to her. They get together but Germont , Alfredo's father breaks them up so Alfredo's sister can get married. At the end of the opera Alfredo and Violetta reunite before she dies of tuberculosis.

The music played a huge factor in moving the plot along. It helped to blend the acts together.Alfredo's voice really helped to heat the conflict. Escpesiallty in the scene when Alfredo humiliates Violetta and gambles with the baron. The song shows the tension despite the magnificent party.

I loved the staging ,it was spectacular the scenery , like the furniture,staircase and chandelier where fantastic They represented the wealth of Violetta very well throughout her life very very well. The costumes also did a very good job of showing the 1950's time period. The costume I thought was odd was Flora's. All the other women where wearing ball gowns and she was wearing a top hat and dress pants. Otherwise the costumes were flawless.

The set also fit the time period very well. You could really believe that the characters where in 1950's Paris. I think that even though it's not the setting Verdi wrote the play for it still very good and I could imagine the characters as real people. I think the eighteenth century setting would have made Alfredo and Violetta not being married a bigger deal as well as Alfredo embarrassing Violetta a bigger dealbut the 5o's setting makes t seem more real.Like I couldve actul met them in real life.

Overall I had a splendid time at the opera.I would recomend that everyone see it. Everyone can hear the actors sing even if your sittting in the very back like I was. The oprea may be a tragjedy but it has a little comedy.LIke when Alfredo won't stop singing. Even after he leaves. In conclusion the opera was great
Anonymous said…
Nneoma
8th Grade
Charles W. Henry

La Traviata is truly an amazing work of art that didn't deserve to be looked down on. This play tells a story about a sort of forbidden love between a man and a sickly courtesan. The performance was perfect and it told the story in a spectacular way. The characters were perfect and they portrayed their characters very well. This play had me engaged from the very beginning to the end.

I think the music was very good and it was relevant in every scene. Violetta's sing was very enchanting, but I felt that Germont's voice was sort of bland and it didn't really fit the main character that I was thinking of. Everyone sang really well and I would definitely come back for another performance. (Sorry Germont, but that was just my opinion. your performance was still good though.)

The costumes and sets fit the time era exactly. It was almost as if they were really in the 20th century. It actually looks like they made the plot better with the staging. I personally thought the the 20th century time period was kind of boring, but this play showed me something better. It showed me that some things in Paris used to be beautiful and very elegant.
The setting in the play felt very accurate to the story. I bet it was every bit of what the director imagined it to be, and maybe even more.

After watching the play, I felt like everyone did an awesome job at making this tragic tale come to life. The music was perfect, the setting was beautiful, and the characters were on point. they did a great job choosing the cast and I thought that Violetta was breathtaking. They really gave it their all on this project. i would definitely come back for another show. I recommend this play to every my age and older. thank you for this unforgettable experience.
Anonymous said…
Alex
8th Grade
Glassboro Intermediate

I honestly was engaged into the plot of La Traviata. A lot of people were saying they didn’t necessarily like the way some of the scenes were. But to me the characters were very deeply in love. Alfredo and Violetta were people who didn’t want to leave each other. This Opera in some way reminded me of Romeo and Juliet.

The music did carry the characters and action forward, by the way they were singing. Like Violetta’s voice being very high made her seem very upset with the conflict going on. And the way Alfredo’s voice was deep it made him show how upset he was.

The props on the stage helped with the plots, by the party basically describing the way they were feeling, and also by the way that some of the girls were dressed showed how they were like people.

I honestly would recommend this Opera to my family and friends, because the Opera was a very good setting and actions going on. Besides the one scene where the courtesans came out. But other than that, the whole Opera was amazing for the first Opera ever going to.
Anonymous said…
Alyiscia
8th Grade
Glassboro Intermediate

The summarization of the main characters that I can give you is that they are named Violetta and Alfredo and they were in love, you couldn’t really describe their personalities because the character development wasn’t too good. The conflict was that Violetta wanted to be with Alfredo but his father wouldn’t accept it so Violetta had to go away. Also Violetta had TB and was dying, and yes the story was told dramatically. I wasn’t engaged as much as I could’ve been.

I found the music to be relatively repetitive, though honestly I can’t speak much on that part of the question because I don’t speak that language. But I suppose it did carry the plot forward rather well. The sets and costumes were very good and went well with the theme of the play. The staging and choreography was some of the best I’ve seen.

I would recommend this to my family specifically because I figure they would be more into those things (operas) than I would. After all, I had never been to one up until this and I found it amusing and tragic and really well put together. I wouldn’t really go again unless on recommendation, because in my opinion, and don’t get me wrong I like singing and musicals a lot, but to me in operas there is just a bit too much singing. In all other aspects, such as plot development, script, set, and costumes it really was very well put together.
Anonymous said…
Bianca
8th Grade
Glassboro Intermediate

I thought that the performance of La Traviata was great. I enjoyed the whole thing. One thing that I really enjoyed was at the end, how it made it seem like the main character was about to die, then she sprung back to life with a lot of energy, but then she died. I would definitely recommend this to my family and my friends, so they can enjoy it as much as I did.
Anonymous said…
Chris
7th Grade
Glassboro Intermediate

The opera was well played. I was very engaged with the plot of the story. The chaotic events of Violetta’s life were well portrayed by the cast. The music and voices sounded very professional and further enhanced the conflict. The cast had good stage presence. The male costumes looked a little too much alike, I kept on losing my sight of Alfredo. Overall, the costuming was nice. The way the setting was described in the synopsis matches the props and background on the stage. The opera was well performed and I would recommend this opera to anyone who enjoys theater and musical performances.
Anonymous said…
Colleen
8th Grade
Glassboro Intermediate

The performance told the story in a very dramatic way; this drama made me well engaged in the story. Violetta was a dying girl who got dragged into many things, and Alfredo was a stubborn but loving man. The conflict was that so many things were getting in between Violetta and Alfredo’s love, so when they got together, it was too late and she was near death.

I believe the music carried the characters and actions forward. The music was so emotional and complex that if they were singing about a butterfly, everyone in that room would be emotionally invested.

The music was not the only thing that captivated the audience. The staging was exceeding my expectations with the nice outfits and the ever beautiful backdrop.

I loved this opera, I will most definitely recommend this to my family and friends. I will recommend this opera because of your plot and characters, music and voices, staging, and setting.
Anonymous said…
Conor
8th Grade
Glassboro Intermediate

La Traviata was a great story of romance and drama between the main characters Violetta and Alfredo. Violetta was a beautiful young woman who was taken over by love for Alfredo after he expressed his overwhelming love for him. Violetta however, was not the classiest of maidens since she was what would modernly be called a prostitute. This did not please Alfredo to most because Alfredo pushes her and says a terrible thing to her during an altercation. However in the end there love became stronger than their hate, but it was slightly too late because shortly after, Violetta died of tuberculosis.

The plot and characters were both good, I thought it had a good plot and moral to it that love prevails in the end. The characters were good however, there were some main characters in the show that I didn’t know anything about. It may have been better if the performance was in English or if a pole wasn’t blocking my view of the subtitles. Besides from that I really liked the characters and the plot.

The music and voices were exceptionally well especially in the lead roles such as Violetta and Alfredo. The overall best male singer would have to be Alfredo’s father, his voice was beyond perfect and his facial expressions looked very sincere. Violetta also had a magnificent voice, she had a great range and at times it sounded as if she had a 4 octave range. Also she made singing the extremely high notes look very easy when I know they definitely are not, especially to the average singer.

I believe that the staging was no better than okay, but I believe that was solely because I thought they were going to have more things going on in the background. It might just be me, but I think the big backdrop that they used for more than half the opera was a bit plain. I did however, like Violetta dresses a lot because I think they suited her character’s beauty and elegance. I also thought that the gypsy scene was clever and had great costuming in that scene as well.

I liked the setting of Paris because it is symbolism in the way that it symbolizes love and beauty just like Alfredo and Violetta’s relationship. I originally thought in the beginning of the show that it took place during very early 20th century and not mid-20th century. But based on the dresses and architecture and details of the house, but the pants that Violetta wears in the scene with Alfredo’s dad is a hint that it takes place in the 1950s or 60s. The changing of scenes was done well, however I thought that there wasn’t enough difference in the two different houses of that the show took place in.

Overall though I believe that the opera was a great story of love, betrayal and adversity. La Traviata had a great meaning to it that was in the end, love always prevails.
Anonymous said…
Brenton
7th gr
Lingelbach
I thought the opera LA TRAVITA was terrific,I thought the characters put a lot of effort into it and they were very passionate and it was a terrific performance.My favorite character is Alfredo because he really loved Violetta and pursued her.He never gave up his love for Violetta and kept trying and he got her.The part that was sad was when Germont told Violetta she has to break up with Alfredo because of her lifestyle and what she does.But she didn't want to break up with Alfredo .Why my favorite character is Alfredo because he wasn't afraid to show his love in front of anyone .Also,he was brave and wasn't afraid to express his love for Violetta.
Anonymous said…
Student #2- Part One Only (To Be Continued in Next Post)
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

One of the most popular operas keeps you on the edge of your seat, biting down your nails. La Traviata will do that for you, with lots of drama and conflict. A beautiful French courtesan named Violetta learns, at a party, that a man, Alfredo Germont, has loved her for a little over a year. This event take Violetta by surprise because she is just meeting him for the first time. Alfredo’s father, Giorgio Germont, does not like the idea of a courtesan being in a relationship with his son. Violetta now has to choose between love and luxury, along with dealing with demanding people and what they want. I thought that the opera was wonderful and entertaining, the actors and actresses were very talented and pleasant to watch. This opera gets an A plus review and cannot be compared to any other performance.

Honestly, I thought that the plot was fantastic, I mean, who wouldn’t love a drama packed performance with talented singers, and the perfect setting?. The characters were intriguing and distinct. All of the characters were properly introduced and I felt like I could have known Violetta, Alfredo, and Germont my whole life. Each character had his or hertheir own personality, and I thought that the performers really turned into different people on stage. “ She is dead!” The doctor says in the scene that kept me most engaged. That was the scene when Violetta died. This part was so exhilarating. I knew Violetta’s death was coming, but the act just continued to go on and on. When Violetta finally died, it was so different seeing it it person, rather than reading the libretto. A part where I lost interest was the aria that Alfredo sang when he figured out that Violetta was selling her belongings. The fact that Violetta was making such a big sacrifice bothered Alfredo. It was a great performance, but it wouldn’t really progress, and I feel that it could have been shorter and still have the same effect. While I thought that the character development and acting werewas impressive, it was the music that I can’t get out of my head.
Anonymous said…
Student #2- Part Two (Please see other post for the first part of this review.)

The wonderful music allowed the opera to have a strong effect on the audience. The lovely notes that were played never disappointed, and provided a memorable experience. The music carried the voices, and highlighted the performance. There were certain voice types that would only work for certain characters. Germont’s voice type was bass, which is the lowest and darkest male voice. His voice gave a bigger impact, and was fit for his role. On the other hand, Violetta was a soprano, which is the highest female voice type. Violetta had a spectacular voice and a very unique one too. I enjoyed the duet that Violetta and Germont sang called Dite alla giovine. The mixture of the bass and soprano was performed perfectly and didn’t sound like anything I have ever heard. The music is still humming in my head in the same way that I can’t stop visualizing the beautiful staging.

The delicate and fancy staging of Violetta’s house was beyond my expectation. I was impressed how each scene transitioned to a different room in Violetta’s house! There was obviously a huge amount of work spent on the staging. I am not sure if this was done on purpose, but Violetta’s dresses always seemed to be the color of a flower. In the beginning she was wearing a purple dress, which reminded me of a violet. It the second party scene (Act 3), she was wearing a red dress like a rose. Over all, the costumes were beautiful and definitely caught my attention. In Act 1 there were stairs in Violetta’s house. I thought that the stairs were just a background piece, but then many of the actors and actresses were on them! This was a very unexpected, but in a good way. They moved the stairs too! I thought that the stairs were going to be there for the whole performance, but they must have been on wheels or something! I was really thankful that I was able to go to the opera;, it was a very pleasant surprise. Equally important to the costumes, staging, and sets, was what the audience would think of the updated setting.


You would think that the original version of anything would be better than a remake, right? Well, speaking for La Traviata, that is not the case. The original version of La Traviata was written in 1853. The updated setting is 1950’s Paris. I thought that the updated opera was liked more by the audience. I am not sure why but you might think that modern performance plus modern audience equals satisfied viewers. Well, not always but sometimes, and that was definitely the case for me. I really enjoyed the updated version, The newer setting made the opera colorful and lively. Having the opera set in the 1950’s allowed the plot to be more current, which made the performance even more entertaining. The setting was not the only thing that made the opera successful;, it was everything.

Above all, I truly enjoyed everything. The plot, staging, setting, music, actors, and actresses. These key points combined made the opera unique, exciting, and a must see. One will not be disappointed spending the afternoon in the Philadelphia Opera House. Go see the story of La Traviata unfold, and have an experience as great as I did.
Anonymous said…
Student #16- Review Part One
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

Who would think that a dying courtesan and her lover would become one of the most well known opera of all time? Well it happens in Verdi’s La Traviata. La Traviata is a story of a fallen woman, Violetta, and her lover, Alfredo Germont. Just imagine, Violetta is a courtesan and dying slowly of tuberculosis. Germont, Alfredo's father forbids their love. He tells Violetta to run away from Alfredo and she agrees. Alfredo angered and upset humiliates himself by throwing his winnings at Violetta at a party. Later while Violetta is on her deathbed Alfredo and Germont arrive and apologize. Violetta then feels all her strength and life come back before she dies in Alfredo's arms. This opera is emotional, dramatic, and well performed.

In this opera there was always something that grabbed my attention. One part that was particularly engaging was at Flora’s party when Alfredo threw his winnings at Violetta’s feet. This was engaging because there was a lot of action and singing involved and each character was involved one way or another. Even though the main characters were standing out, you still could see all of the other characters. Another engaging part was when Germont and Violetta were singing their duet. It was particularly engaging because while they were singing there were acts in the background that added a little something. It would be boring if only Germont and Violetta sung for that period of time. But there was other things to look at including the shadows in the windows and the men coming and picking up the wood. If these elements didn’t happen it would make people bored and they would want more. Although it is true that the plot and story were well performed it would be nowhere without the music and voices.

In this opera the music was beautiful. The characters had just the right voices. Just think if Germont (Alfredo’s father) was a countertenor or a Tenor instead of a baritone he wouldn’t sound like father or even an older man. And Violetta had just the right voice for a young female. I also loved how Violetta would say ahh in different pitches. It added a little umph to the story. Not only the actors sang well and added to the music, the orchestra was grand. I loved how they all came in at different points and how sometimes they went high and loud and sometimes they went low and soft. I also liked how the orchestra was loud but not loud enough to blur out the actors, you could still hear every word they sung clearly. I think everything played nicely together. My favorite duet was when Germont and Violetta were singing together. The music was thought through. While the music was beautiful my favorite was the staging.
Anonymous said…
Student #16- Part Two
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

Who would've thought so much detail could go into one opera? Not me, that’s for sure. This opera would be so boring without the outstanding sets and costumes. I loved how the background looked. It almost looked as if it was a million doors all together. The backgrounds really set the whole 1950 French era. They looked old and dusty but still popping with color. I also loved how at certain points the director made people sit, walk, talk, or dance because even though those parts weren’t the main parts you still saw it all. I also really liked how they made people be able to go up and down those steps. To be honest I thought that those were fake at first but then people started to walk down them, and I was astonished. The costumes were also so amazing, my very favorite was Violetta’s blue dress that she wore to Flora’s second party. All the costumes all looked like what people in that time would wear. My second favorite was definitely Alfredo’s tennis outfit. I just loved how it looked and that it was so realistic. The detail was also incredible from the jewelry to the blood stained pillows and blankets and the hair and makeup. The one thing that I didn’t enjoy is that act three was very dark and it was hard to see what was going on. Overall I think the staging was quite a bit better the the setting.

The setting is set to the 1950’s in France. I think that this time did add to the power to the opera. For one they talked like we do today and they didn’t use words from the renaissance time period. Although they did change the time 100 years later it still felt like the late 1800’s. It still felt old and elegant. As you can tell I had an okay feeling about the staging.

La Traviata will live forever as one of the best pieces in opera history. This dramatic love story will take your heart and wrap around it. This opera has so many emotions from love to anger, and tears or smiles. I loved seeing this opera. And I would see it a million more times if I got the chance. This opera should be praised from everyone who has, wants, or will see it.
Anonymous said…
Student #1 Part One
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

La Traviata really made me anxious to see what happened next with me on the edge of my seat, not laying my eyes off the scene. The opera was really intense mostly because of the drama. In my opinion, the conflict was when Germont didn’t approve Violetta and Alfredo being together. Other people who got into the drama or caused a bit more is Flora and the Baron. Flora caused a bit more and the Baron technically got into it, but overall I really enjoyed it and it made me want to go to other operas.
Some of the parts La Traviata got very interesting because you wanted to know what happened next. There are those big,special or intense parts that you really get into. An example is when Alfredo throws his earnings at Violetta. You want to imagine being in Violetta’s or Alfredo’s shoes. You sometimes think how embarrassed Violetta was or how you would feel. If you put yourself in Alfredo’s shoes you see how mad and confused he got, so you would think how confused or mad you’d be. Then there were the parts that had a rising action but slowly started to have less action because they kind of just said the same thing pretty much in different words. Like the part when Violetta and Germont were arguing. Likewise most of the parts kept you engaged especially when they sang and when the orchestra played music.
The music and voices were flawless. The music went with the 1950’s theme. It also gave more power to everything. The music got faster to make the intensity between everyone stronger. What especially got affected was when there was drama. The music really made the story or the action move forward because just by listening to the music you can tell what emotion the characters are feeling or acting out. Another way to find out what they are feeling is by listening to how loud their voice gets or how quiet it gets. A part in the opera that really shows this is when Violetta is singing with Alfredo after everybody left to the other room. It was very engaging and you can really tell what they were feeling. This was one of my favorite duets. In addition to the theme, the main part that really made look like they were in 1950’s Paris were the sets and costume.
The strongest part in the making of the 1950’s Paris theme were the sets,costumes and the staging. You couldn’t really tell where they were or what year they were in without the sets,staging and costumes. One way for finding out what year they were in was by focusing at their parties. How all the Gypsies and other women were dressed differently than now(2015).
A big part is the sets. The designs were a bit different than now. They made sure everybody knew what was happening and some of the characters' characteristics. Like how they put fake blood on Violetta’s bed to remind the audience that she had tuberculosis. The lighting was a huge part that indicated more drama or more excitement. It shined sometimes only on one person to make it more dramatic,like the part after Alfredo threw his winnings at Violetta with him on the ground. When it indicated excitement was when the bullfighters danced. It only show on them. This happened during the 1950’s Paris so it’s a bit more modern.
Anonymous said…
Student #1- Part Two
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

The whole opera was a love story about a man and a woman that, at first couldn’t love each other but towards the end they did. All of this happened in the 1950’s Paris. It was supposed to be in the 1850’s, but the director changed it. In my opinion I think the change to 1950’s made it have more power to it. I think that because in the 1850’s Paris they did more ball dancing. The dancing in opera(1950) made it more exciting. Also they wore different clothing between the two time periods. It made look more better with the 1950’s clothing. The disease Violetta had was tuberculosis. It wasn’t discovered until 1882. So would the story end with her dying? How would the story end if it was 1850’s Pparis?.
My overall opinion of La Traviata was amazing to me, I loved it. It was the same excitement as getting ready for the holidays. It was like eating your favorite piece of candy. The love between Violetta and Alfredo was infinite. They wouldn’t stop loving each other. I especially like the dancing and duets. They kept me engaged with the story.
Anonymous said…
Student #3
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

“Oh my, I feel like dying.” says Violetta. You won’t feel like dying if you watch Verdi’s La Traviata. It is about a courtesan (someone who makes a living by having people pay her/him to go to parties as their date) named Violetta who has to make a choice between money and true love. She chooses true love and moves out into the country with Alfredo (her true love). Alfredo’s dad (Germont) comes and demands that she leaves Alfredo so his daughter’s fiance will still want to marry her. (A courtesan was a very dishonorable position.) Violetta agrees and leaves Alfredo and also makes him think she didn’t love him any more so he wouldn’t run after her. Alfredo gets very angry when he finds out Violetta left. Violetta has tuberculosis which is a deadly disease that makes you cough up blood. Right before Violetta dies Alfredo and Germont come and Alfredo forgives her.

La Traviata was very engaging and if you don’t think so then you’re crazy. It was especially engaging when Alfredo confessed his love to her and he was explaining how he came to love her. Another part that was very engaging was when Germont asked Violetta to leave Alfredo and she was begging him not to make her leave him. I also thought that Flora’s party scene was very engaging, especially when Alfredo threw all of his winnings at Violetta’s feet and Germont came in and was disgraced by Alfredo’s act of disrespect. The last part that I thought was engaging was when Violetta died in Alfredo’s arms. Overall, except for a few slow parts here and there, it was very engaging, a lot like the music and voices.

The Brindisi was very interesting and well performed. Everybody was singing merrily together and was just enjoying themselves which was reflected by the tone that they sung in. During Violetta and Germont’s aria you could tell the tone was more stressed. The songs were reflective of the mood the characters were in and even though they were singing in a different language you could usually get overall what they are trying to say. Like the music and voices, the staging won’t let you down.

I thought that overall the staging was amazing and had very few flaws. The costumes were the perfect design for whatever they were used for and nicely made. For example, Alfredo’s suit always looked very nice. Also, you could tell that the staging was intricately thought out and was carried out well too. Whenever there was a solo or duet they focused the lights on whoever was singing which really helped for knowing who was singing at the time. An example of that is Violetta and Germont’s duet when she agreed to leave. Another great thing was the sets. I thought the wall of doors was very clever and probably made it a lot easier to change the scene. I think that the setting had a few more flaws than the staging.

I thought that the setting was pretty good but had some big flaws. For example, the setting was supposed to be 1950’s Paris but I thought it felt more like early 1900’s Paris. You can’t criticize that too much though because the original setting is 1850’s Paris so it would be hard to keep it on the storyline and have it so modern. Especially since in 1950 there was a cure for tuberculosis. I think the setting was the biggest flaw they made, which means overall La Traviata was really good.

As the audience greatly applauded, (which the actors deserved), I was wondering how many hours they committed to get so good and I realized it also took natural talent to be able to sing that loud (actually sing, not scream). As we left, I was sad that it was over. Adding everything up, I had a great experience during La Traviata.
Anonymous said…
Student #4- Part One
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

I always thought operas were boring, 13- hour long songs, sung in a very high pitch, with no plot of excitement whatsoever. La Ttraviata changed my opinion drastically. The second our bus pulled up to Opera Philadelphia, a truly grand building, I knew I was going to love it. It just kept getting better and better. The opening overture, the Brindisi, really grabbed my attention. Violetta, a courtesan, is at a party, dancing on a piano, spun by her many lovers. The set at Flora’s party and the costumes and the piano dancing was just spectacular. After the Brindisi, Alfredo pledges his love to Violetta and they end up at a country house in Paris. Not soon afterwards, Violetta finds herself begging Giorgio Germont, Alfredo’s father, to let her stay with Alfredo. When Germont refuses, Violetta leaves for Alfredo’s sake. Alfredo finds her with the baron at a party at Flora’s. Violetta lies to Alfredo and tells him how she truly loves the baron. Alfredo is upset, so he curses her and throws his winnings at her feet. He feels so very ashamed. Later, in scene three. Violetta is alone in her bedroom, dying of tuberculosis. Alfredo and Germont arrive just in time to watch Violetta take her dying breath, and have her forgive them. The Brindisi was just amazing, If possible, it just kept getting better from there.

After reading the La Traviata libretto and knowing what was supposed to happen, I can tell you that the plot, the storyline, were executed beautifully and without flaws. Despite the fact that it was sung in Italian ( there were supertitles in English at the top so you could understand them), it was easy for anybody, even someone who had never read even a synopsis, to understand. I always knew where we were and what was going on. There were some extremely boring parts that took too long to sing. For example, when Violetta was asking Germont to stay with his son. They just kept saying the same lines over and over again. They just went from piano to forte, piano to forte. I was hit with an uncontrollable fit of yawning. There were also some parts that had you sitting on the edge of your seat, wondering what was going to happen, dying of suspense. Such as the party scene when Alfredo threatens a duel with the Baron Douphol. There was a happy medium. We wouldn’t want a happy opera with a nice ending, now would we? We also wouldn’t want an opera so exciting you thought every part was the climax.

The characters were all played very well. Most of them were just as stern, gentle, beautiful, and gentlemanly as I expected and wanted them to be. I was very pleased with Violetta, Germont, and the Baron. I always thought of Annina as an old maid, but I think the young woman she is portrayed as suits her. I was not very pleased with Flora. She seemed like such a sweet lady to me in the libretto, but I think she seems more like a sweet tomboy at the actual opera. Alfredo just did not float my boat for some reason. It was mostly his aria in scene two, part one where he sings about how much Violetta loves him more than the Baron. all the while twirling a tennis racket. He just broke my happy romance story. His return to violetta in scene three was pretty good, though. Violetta was just super amazing. Especially when she sang.
Anonymous said…
Student #4- Part Two
Avon Grove Charter School
SixthGrade

I absolutely loved Violetta in every aria, duet, and chorus she sang. She showed every emotion; sadness, joy, anger, sorrow, beautifully. She also portrayed her emotions through the actions she showed. Throwing her letters at the floor during her duet/argument with Germont showed her anger, and her piano dancing during the brindisi showed how happy and free she felt. The choruses were lovely and the partygoers really sang as one. I loved how everybody mostly was doing something different from the crowd, but if they were doing something the same, they did it in their own special way. I must repeat how much I disliked Alfredo’s aria in scene two, part one. Completely wrong emotions portrayed there. Boasting, yes. Love? Not so much. Overall I think the music really enhanced the plot, and added to the overall emotional effect. I really liked the genies, too. Their costumes were great.
I loved almost all the costumes, but I thought the lighting was all great. The colors and the lighting both helped to set a mood before the curtains fully rose, before the first note was sung, before the chandelier was raised. In scene two, part one, I could tell we were in a quiet country house, lovely and shy that had never once hosted a rowdy party by the soft greens and blues, the many windows and great lighting, and the many potted plants. The golds and deep reds and purples definitely made scene two, part two seem like a rich, lavish party with expensive taste. Scene three’s lack of lighting, along with grays and beiges made it sad, through and through. It all really enhanced the plot.
I absolutely adored Violetta’s dress in scene one. The baron’s suit was pretty nice, too. And I can’t say I had anything against the gypsies. Although, I’d be happy to tell you what was wrong with Flora’s ‘dress’. It wasn’t even a dress! It was a suit! A bright red suit! That was the one thing I had against the 1950’s setting. I always pictured Flora as a sweet lady, not a sweet tomboy. I couldn’t figure out who she was at first. If I had gotten to given her a costume, I would have chosen a lighter variation of Violetta’s dress. Other than that, there were perfect costumes, really. If we had had the poofy dresses of the original 1800’s setting, that would be something totally different….
I’m not sure what I think of the 1950’s Paris setting. I cannot compare it to an 1800’s setting because I have not seen La Traviata set in 1800’s Paris. Because it was set in 1950’s Paris, the rich folk had some new toys including phones, pills/medicine, and tennis rackets. It wouldn’t have been any different if they weren’t there. Also, because the opera was sung in Italian, the 1800’s speech wouldn’t have made it any easier to understand. The 1800’s attire would have been a poor substitute for Violetta’s dress, but a welcome change to Flora’s suit. A few things I don’t care about, a few things I strongly dislike, and a few things I love. That sounds a lot like my overall opinion of the opera as well.
Overall a great opera, La Traviata, best regards, Verdi, but it is not perfect. I cannot pretend I was not highly displeased with Alfredo’s aria in act two, scene one, or Flora’s ‘dress’, but I absolutely loved the staging, the lighting, and the dramatic parts. I also loved everything about Violetta, from her dress, hair and costume, voice, emotions, and expressions. I must admit though, the only characters I felt were absolutely perfect were Germont, Violetta, Bthe baron Douphol, the gypsies, and Annina. There were only a few things I disliked, but I mostly liked it all. It was always dramatic after a boring part, and the set was always the big show after a dramatic scene. Kudos again, Verdi.
The Lady of the Camelia’s is always beautiful and rosy, with so many admirers. Her petals fall, one by one, till one is left alone. To me, she wilts, but never ever withers.
Anonymous said…
Student #5- Part One
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

It was a bright and sunny day in Philadelphia and right in the middle was Mrs.Brady’s sixth grade class, getting ready to go into an amazing opera, but I can’t say all positive. Here is an introduction to the main characters and some fun facts about their lives. Violetta Valery is a young courtesan living in 1950s Paris, who is suffering terribly because of a disease called tuberculosis. Alfredo Germont is a handsome young man who is in love with Violetta. The last main character is Alfredo’s father, Giorgio Germont, who is trying to separate Alfredo and Violetta.
La Traviata is about Alfredo’s love affair with Violetta ,but she doesn’t believe him and tries to tell Alfredo that he can’t possibly be in love with her. When Violetta finally believes that Alfredo loves her, they are torn apart by Alfredo’s father Giorgio. He has convinced Violetta that she should leave Alfredo. Now you may be wondering, why did Giorgio tell Violetta to leave Alfredo? Giorgio has a daughter who is engaged and her fiance will not marry her if he shall have a courtesan as a sister in law. Violetta was so upset that she said goodbye, leaving a note because she could not face Alfredo. When Alfredo got the note he was furious and left to go find Violetta. When he finally found her she was at a party with the Baron, angry that she was with him the Baron and Alfredo had a duel. Once the duel was done and Alfredo was victorious, he was even more mad at Violetta and threw all of his earnings from the duel at her feet. In the end love won and they were together until Violetta passed away from tuberculosis .
The staging was a real part of the opera, without it I would never have guessed what was going on. They put all of the sets in places that the whole crowd could see and I really enjoyed that. I loved the staging and I also loved the lighting. The lighting was another big part in making the opera more dramatic by adding feeling and mood into the performance. If the lighting was more dim or dull I could predict that it was going to be unhappy and tense. If the lighting was brighter I could tell that it was going to be joyful and cheerful. I enjoyed the lighting a lot but I couldn't take my eyes off of the sets.
The sets were beautiful and they looked aged. Many older-looking doors were all put together. Every few “doors” there would be an actual door that the actors would come through. The sets were breathtaking. They even seemed so realistic in the last scene when there was blood on Violetta’s bed and pillows because of her tuberculosis. The costumes were a big help in understanding the performance. They really showed the characters’s personalitiesy. In the first scene, Violetta had a blue dress on with a lot of fake diamonds which explained to the audience that she was wealthy. In another scene, she had a red dress on with not that much sparkle which told the audience that she didn’t have much money left.
Anonymous said…
Student #5
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

The singing was not my favorite, but I still did enjoy it. The singing was not my favorite because sometimes I think the song went on longer then it should have for the scene. This does not mean I did not like the singers’ voices. The singers voices were astounding and they took my breath away and never gave my breath back throughout the entire opera. When the performers first started singing, I was hypnotized. I was not ready for their voices to be that amazing. Then throughout the rest of the opera I was on the edge of my seat, about to fall off. The singing engaged me most of all because it was so outstanding and the voices gave me goose bumps.
The setting of the opera was 1950s Paris, which was not Verdi’s original time frame. He wanted it to be set in 1750s Paris. When Verdi’s opera was first performed the time frame was the 1850s, the opera I went to was set in the 1950s. It was old, but still beautiful. Since the time when Verdi wrote it, it has been modernized.
Last but not least is my opinion. The opera was amazing and almost the entire time I was intensly staring at the performers because I was so interested. I enjoyed most parts except when the songs went on too long. I would definitely recommend this to someone who has never seen an opera. I think I still would have liked the opera even if I hadn't read the libretto. I give this exceptional performance a 4.5/5 stars. I think that Violetta’s life is like a wilting flower.
Anonymous said…
Student #10- Part One
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

Right from the beginning, La Traviata steals your attention and carries it throughout the entire opera. From the first scene at the party, to the last scene at Violetta’s deathbed, La Traviata is a captivating opera. To quickly summarize the story, it is the tale of the young love of Violetta, a courtesan, and Alfredo Germont. Alfredo falls in love with Violetta at a party, and they are soon in love in their new house in the countryside of Paris. Soon, Violetta finds herself begging Germont (Alfredo’s father) to let her and Alfredo stay together. Germont refuses, and Violetta agrees to leave Alfredo for the sake of his sister’s marriage. Violetta, heartbroken, goes to a party with Baron, where she finds Alfredo. Alfredo sees her with Baron, and thinks she betrayed him. He angrily throws his night’s winnings at Violetta, insulting her. Germont comes in and is ashamed of Alfredo’s behavior, and everyone goes home. In the end, Violetta is slowly dying when Alfredo and Germont return to apologize to her. Alfredo and Violetta are reunited, and Violetta dies happily. Overall, this opera was performed beautifully, and I am pleased to say that I would see it again.

In La Traviata, there are many different moments that are high in interest and emotion. One of those moments was in the very end where Violetta was dying. The performance was incredible. Lisette Oropesa’s performance of Violetta’s death scene was completely believable. If you did not know you were watching the opera, you would have thought the person on stage just died. For me, that was the point of highest interest in the entire opera. Oropesa made it look so believable with stumbling and swooning throughout the entire performance, that when the time came that Violetta died, I was able to fully comprehend what was happening, based only on Oropesa’s performance. On the contrary, there were also moments that were not as engaging, and even boring at times. That would be one way to describe when Alfredo was singing about how he was so glad Violetta loved him. I feel the interminable aria was not needed, and it was very unengaging to keep hearing the same thing over and over again with different words.

In a similar fashion to the arias and pacing, the music was generally on point throughout the opera. It was always full of emotion, but at times, I question whether it matched all of the emotions correctly. For example, when Germont was telling Violetta to leave Alfredo, some of the song sounded upbeat and happy. I personally do not think that was the mood that Verdi was trying to set in that scene. Also, it was occasionally difficult to tell who was singing what because some of the male voices sounded very similar. Violetta’s soprano though, was truly incredible. She was able to go so high that I was not previously aware that someone could even hit some of the notes she sang. On the contrary to Violetta’s high soprano, I was surprised to hear how low Germont could sing. He is very talented, and I think he was the correct baritone for the part. However, sometimes his voice would go so low that you would not be able to tell what he was saying. Granted, it was in Italian, and I do not speak that language, so maybe it was understandable to someone that speaks Italian, just not to me.
Anonymous said…
Student #10- Part Two
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

While the music and voices contributed to the auditory effects, the staging, costumes, sets, and lighting contributed to the visual ones. The sets were breathtaking, and were very enhancing to the opera, with walls of what seemed to be picture frames. The only thing I found confusing with this was that you could not tell where the doors were. You were not able to see the door knobs very clearly, and when the party guests opened the doors, it looked like they were opening secret passages in the walls. There were also no windows in on the set walls, and it was a bit odd. For example, in the last scene, when Violetta tells Annina to go open a window, Annina opened a door. It was yet another highlight to the fact that there were no windows on the set. The staircase was beautiful, and I feel it really set the mood of an expensive 1950’s Parisian house. However, the door at the top was a bit misleading. I do not know of any houses that have a front door to go through, then a flight of stairs before they get into the living room. The furniture was all very beautiful, too. My favorite part was when Violetta sang on top of the piano while it was being turned. It was a big dramatic moment, and it made it so much more interesting to watch. While most of the set was good, there were also a few flaws. One example would be when Alfredo was supposed to throw his money at Violetta, he threw cards instead. This made the moment very underwhelming, and I would have enjoyed it so much more if he had thrown actual money or coins. Another flaw would be that you could almost always see into the backstage area past the set walls. This made it seem as if the set was too small for the stage. It was a bit disappointing, but overall, the set design was impressive. The costumes were some of the finest I have ever seen. They were so detailed, and really just enhanced the whole performance. The only thing that I had against the costumes department was that they put Flora in a suit! I do not think that any woman in the 1950’s would be wearing that. Also, Flora’s haircut was very chic and modern, and I do not think that it matched the setting either. She was rowdy, and not very ladylike, if you ask me. Disregarding that though, this category, including sets, staging, and costume, was my favorite element of the entire opera.

In addition to the issue that no windows presented to the set, they also presented an issue to the setting. The opera was set in 1950’s Paris, and in a lot of different parts of the opera, Verdi was taking us to different specific parts of Paris. First, he took us to a party in a room in Violetta’s house. Next, we went to the country house that Violetta and Alfredo lived in together. After that there was Flora’s house in the city, and lastly, we were back to the house shared by Violetta and Alfredo. The fact that there were no windows made it hard to know where they were at times. Another thing to consider about the setting would be that they were in Paris, a city closer to Italy than the United States, so it made sense that they would be singing in Italian. If they had been singing in English, we would have been able to understand it, but it would not have made sense when compared to the setting.

Going to see Verdi’s La Traviata was truly an incredible experience, and I am pleased to say that if presented with the opportunity to see it again, I would. It was a wonderful opera, and I have never been to an opera before, so it was a new experience to see it. I had never expected an opera to be so entertaining, but Verdi surprised me with his originality and twist to the art. In some ways, you could compare La Traviata to a flower. It started out blooming, and by the end, it was on of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen.
Anonymous said…
Student #6- Part One
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

Could the opera La Traviata by Verdi be any better? La Traviata was fantastic it was my first opera, I thought it was the best. I’ll tell you about what I thought as well as what I enjoyed and did not enjoy about the opera. The story La Traviata is about a woman named Violetta and a man named Alfredo they love each other but Alfredo’s father Giorgio Germont does not want them to be together. Violetta is a courtesan which was an unhonorable job back then. She also thought that nobody actually loves her because she is a courtesan. So she has to choose between riches and luxury or love and happiness.

The first part of the opera I am going to tell you about is the setting was in 1950’s Paris . The lighting also helped me figure out what the time frame was because the lighting was chandeliers and they used them back in the 1950’s. When you think about chandeliers you generally think about times earlier on like around that 1950’s time frame. Also you could tell because of the furnishings. The walls also looked cool and I liked how they looked like doors and the doors they used were hidden in the walls. Also the costumes they were wearing matched everything else as well.

The next part I am going to talk to you about is the voices and music helped carry the opera along because the music matched the emotion of the scene. When the scene was sad the music was lower and more sad feeling. when the scene was happy the music was higher and happier. You could really tell what the emotion or what was happening in the opera, even if you could not see you could tell by the voices and music what was going on. I enjoyed the music it was beautiful and I think it helped set the pace of the opera itself as well. I think the voices also helped tell what the character was like like how Giorgio Germont was a big man and he had a very deep voice and that matched. Same with all the other voices they all matched what the character was like it made the opera sound better and it made everything sound better.
Anonymous said…
Student #6- Part Two
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

The third part of the opera I am going to talk about is the staging I thought that the staging was very nice. The costumes kind of helped set the time frame. Also they told me that these were rich people and that they were fancy. The walls were always based off the same thing but the back wall always seemed to change for the different scenes. Another way that I could tell that they had a lot of money is because of the furnishings and the room itself. The hair design also helped show that they were fancy and that it was the 1950’s. Also at first glance Flora looked a little like a guy. The costumes also made the play more dramatic like when everyone was punching Alfredo and he had fake blood on his shirt. Also when Violetta had blood on her pillow in the last scene of the opera. The costumes and sets kind of help me stay into it because if it was a boring part I would look at the background and the dresses and suits.

The last part of the opera I am going to talk about is the plot and characters I thought that in the plot there were a couple of engaging parts but there were also some parts that were less engaging than other parts. One of the parts I thought was disengaging was when Violetta was begging Giorgio Germont to stay with Alfredo because they kept saying the same exact thing every time and it took a while for the scene to end. One of the parts I thought was engaging was at Flora's party when everybody was going crazy and they were dancing on the tables. Also when Alfredo threw all his winnings at Violetta. Then everybody goes crazy and tries to punch Alfredo and him and Violetta are talking to each other. When Violetta dies I think they should have made it a little more dramatic instead of the acting short straightforward and sudden I think they should have made that longer and the talking shorter.

In conclusion I think that the opera La Traviata is the best opera ever it was remarkable and I enjoyed it a lot. I think that everybody should watch it. I enjoyed the acting a lot and the music. I liked the music it let me focus and kind of set the theme of everything. The music also kind of kept everything alive and everything moving. Again it was my first ever opera but I think that it was flawless it was also great. These are the reasons I thought that the opera La traviata was the best opera ever.
Anonymous said…
Student #7- Part One
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

“The spasms of pain have ceased! I feel reborn in me the strength that once was mine! I feel I’m coming back to life! Oh joy!” So says Violetta of the flowers. Withering with the violets. Blooming with the camellias. Never to again bud like a rose. The audience rises and, satisfied with the bittersweet ending, roars with fallen back joy and satisfaction. Violetta loved Aalfredo, but Ggermont would not let her! In the end, she dies knowing that someone loves her! The actors bow and sit down again, smiling at their own performance. Music plays, people smile tearfully, and a flower blooms. Subtle notes about flowers suddenly come into view. Now the audience realizes why. What makes this entire opera so… organized and well thought out? These parts sure made me laugh and literally go onto the edge of my seat. Wouldn’t it make you? The Lady of the Camellias shows extreme wonders beyond the simple eye. The Aacademy of Music did an excellent job creating a beautiful play making the audience roar with excitement! This entire opera was very marvelous, but was it entirely interesting?

Almost all of La Traviata is dramatic acting and song capturing the viewer's interest! But really, some parts are more actively fluent than others. For example, the parties during act one and act two deprive no self interest whatsoever, creating a scene of dancing and singing, but no particular parts divulge so much interest in the mind. Though, the most interesting act that made you go on the “edge of your seats” was when Violetta was about to die, because to me, that seems like the climax of the entire opera. This is the most important part, for the death of Violetta would never be known until this very particular moment. And her aria during her death toll? Precise music to me. The music really adds on to the drama completely.

While the drama plays a part in all opera, the one that makes you lean over your chair with excitement is the music, for music can make you laugh, smile, cry, or jump with fright! The pounding of the drum during Violetta's aria makes the air waft with excitement. When the crowd stormed in the party, the music grew louder and louder! Right before, the music played softly and slowly, creating a scene which surprised the audience! The music really did a great job enhancing an extra dramatic performance. Many professional reporters gasp at the sound of music floating around their ears, but no one sat down without smiling. No wonder La Traviata is well known around the world, and even if you don’t like opera, Verdi’s La Traviata is a must see! The music contrasts with the staging so well, it feels like the emotion comes entirely from the stages.
Anonymous said…
Student #7- Part Two
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

Staging makes the opera an actual play with music and dramatic lighting. When the music played loudly at the movement of people bursting through the door, the lighting grew brighter and less gloomy. This makes people know that the opera shalln’t be undetermined and a loss of their time and bliss. But, creating a scene doubting the essence of the well thought out opera in the second party act creates a silly yet absent-minded thought. In my opinion, the staging was not my favourite, yet it added a subtle note of significance. Mostly the acting of the characters seemed too stiff and doldrum-like. The actors should feel like this is an actual real-life circumstance. All in all, the acting, staging, and detail did not entwine with the rest of the opera as much. The costumes, though, made a great addition to the setting of 1950. The opera contributed to the costumes and settings more than prop placements.?

The setting of the 1900s add on to the regular 1950s casual and formal costumes. During the party acts, this seemed more formal and young than an older costume from back then. What really proved to be smart was the 1960s casual costume that Alfredo wore during his aria. But some mistakes caught my eye. One was that the costumes the movers from act two wore. They wore old-timey hunter caps and plaid costumes which really affected the 1900s flow and shoved in an old 1750s scene. The director should’ve paid more attention to the actor's costumes. All in all, the costumes affect the performance greatly, even though there were some minor mistakes in the period of the clothes. Really all of La Traviata put in more effort to the acting and singing.

The final point of this review is that I’d give the worldwide La Traviata opera two thumbs up. Some minor problems in the actual rehearsal weren’t devastating, but need to be worked on. To be honest thought, Verdi’s opera deserves a round of applause for the actresses and actor’s hard work. The director changed the flow, but Mr. Verdi did not change the tune! This opera is definitely a must see, and the emotion really adds onto the music, staging, drama, and settings. La Traviata gets an A+ in my book and deserves a tearful smile from all of the opera lovers in the world! Violetta’s performance truly bloomed, as all violets do.

Anonymous said…
Student #8
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

No wonder La Traviata is the most performed opera because does this world loves its tragic love stories. Viewing a performance of La Traviata was a fantastic experience and one that everyone should have. La Traviata is a beautiful production about tragic love, loss and the luxurious life of a 1950’s courtesan. It is something I highly recommend, plan on having a wonderful time experiencing great actors and singers in a 107 year old gorgeous building that’s exciting to even look at!

La Traviata will keep you engaged for the most part, even when it gets slow in some parts {like all productions}. The music is something that will always remain in my mind and heart. The music was constantly flawless. My personal favorite was the Brindisi {the drinking song} It was so energetic and electrifying. I feel like the music always went well with how the characters were feeling {praise to Verdi}The singers and actors are extremely talented and it was an honor to listen to them in person.

The actors did especially well with the dialogue throughout the singing, in a language they might not have understood before La Traviata. At least one point in the story a song went on for a little too long but it’s not like their going to change the length of a performance that’s been around for centuries. Despite the pacing of the opera I really enjoyed the staging and lighting throughout the entire performance.

The staging was perfect and matched everything very well, no matter where you were seated everything was seen clearly. There wasn’t a giant 1950’s sofa right there in front of all the action, {not that there should be but hey! It’s a plus!}La Traviata is a dramatic story and I strongly felt that the lighting really contributed to the dramatic effect. The costumes were some of the finest designs I have personally ever seen and really matched the 1950’s era with all the parties and elaborate social events. I liked how the costumes made you felt like you were in the 1950’s. If they placed the story any later than the 1950’s it wouldn’t have matched the whole idea. Verdi intended for this performance to be in the 1850’s, the fact that this was in the1950’s it did much for the story.

I suspect that the 1950’s era was supposed to make the story more interesting for viewers in the 21st century. Of course the props would be very different. However, people are obviously more used to more modern props and and it would have been interesting if it was placed in the 1850’s In my opinion they should have respected Verdi’s wishes and placed it in the 1850’s. Hence the fact that La Traviata was based of of Dumas Fis’s Lady of the Camellias in the 1850’s. But overall, it was a wondrous performance.

I highly recommend this opera to anyone in who wants an experience that will remain with you forever. I left the opera house ecstatic and overjoyed that I just had the time of my life. I have four words for nobody in particular: Go see La Traviata. It is something that nobody should miss out on.
Anonymous said…
Student #9- Part One
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

Honestly, why would someone enjoy an opera about this man loving this lady for over a year now? Creepy? I agree, she doesn’t even know him… La Traviata is the story of the fallen woman, this man named Alfredo Germont loves this dear lady Violetta. She is a courtesan. But surely she doesn’t even know him.. He has known her for over a year! She hasn’t even heard of this Alfredo.. they just met minutes ago. He is interested in this lovely lady, she isn’t interested in him, but soon she falls in love. Alfredo leaves for a couple months & Giorgio Germont (Alfredo’s dad) comes and tells her that they can’t be together. Regardless of their love, Giorgio Germont forbids it! Giorgio doesn’t want Violetta to do anything with his son, she agrees and leaves dear Alfredo. From this point on Violetta is sick, she has tuberculosis. Deadly, causing her to cough up blood & and feel very ill. Now back then in the 1950’s they didn’t have the best medicine.

In my opinion, the plot was very well thought out. The sequence of events, in my opinion, was perfect. It fit well with the characters and storyline. Everything was very compelling and quality entertainment. The personalities of the characters also fit. One part when I felt engaged was when it was when in act 1 when they were all at the party and Violetta was introduced to Alfredo.. I was waiting to see what was coming. I was so ecstatic, at the edge of my seat.One particular part that I didn’t find engaging was when Violetta was dying. When Violetta was singing before she died it just kept going on and on. Honestly, a couple times I thought she had died! It just didn’t feel engaging, but yet again that’s just my personal opinion. The plot was very satisfying, but the music was valuable.

The music the orchestra played was phenomenal, so were the characters’ voices. The music carried the story very well. When the scene was sad, the music was slow and quiet. When people were mad the music was loud and high. Fitting just right in different scenes. But one thing I noticed while watching the opera is that some scenes are very long. So, eventually sitting there after a while you get bored. Waiting for them to stop singing, or move on to a different song. One duet that I enjoyed was when Giorgio came to Violetta telling her that Alfredo and her couldn’t be together, it is called Dite alla giovine. The music and voices part wasn’t a personal favorite for me, but I was really fond of the staging.
Anonymous said…
Student #9- Part Two
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

To clarify the staging looked breathtaking. It was amazing. The walls of the sets looked like doors, very beautiful and detailed. It takes place in Paris, so honestly I think the setting fit very well. It was elegant and beautiful. The costumes also looked very remarkable, they were very detailed. The characters also wore jewelry which made it look very realistic. When they had a party, Violetta had jewelry which was, very realistic! Let’s just say the costumes, staging, and sets enhanced the story a lot. Everything was super detailed and very superior. This was a definite favorite part of the overall opera, but I also adored the setting.

Even though the performed opera wasn’t in the original setting it was suppose to be in, I still think they made the right choice. The original setting, or what Verdi wanted, was the 1850’s, but the Academy of Music performed it in the 1950’s in Paris, France. In my opinion, I personally thought the setting was great, elegant everything I would have thought of in this time period. If I wasn’t told the original wasn’t suppose to be in this time, I would have never noticed. Now, some people may consider it a distraction to this specific piece, but I think it fits and was preformed well. For the most part, the setting and the entire opera were stunning.

In my personal opinion, I would go back and see this opera again.I highly recommend seeing this opera, this was a first for me, I didn’t see myself enjoying this opera. But now I would love to go back to this specific opera or more operas performed by various opera companies. In my overall opinion, it was tremendous. I loved it all, the plot, characters, setting, and storyline. It is amazing how some performances with a little practice can come very far.
Anonymous said…
Student #11
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

If you’re thinking of watching the opera La Traviata, but first you want someone’s honest review on it, then read this!

The plot and characters were ok. I wish that they would have made the story more exciting, because there were some parts of the opera that were a little boring. That was the main issue. However, the opera was still good. The story was dramatic, and in my opinion, the death scene was the most dramatic scene. It was dramatic because Violetta, the protagonist, was dying and Alfredo arrived just in time.The music made the opera more dramatic and it went with the tone of the story. If the scene was happy, then the music would be happy. But if the scene was sad, then the music would be sad. The voices sounded good; the lady who played Violetta could sing with a very high pitched voice at times. While the music and voices contributed to the emotional impact of the opera, the staging contributed to the visual effect.

In addition, the setting also helped the tone of story. All the sets were very interesting. I think that it must have been difficult changing all of those sets in just 5 minutes. (during intermission) The setting helped the story become more dramatic and really helped move the story along. For example, during the first scene, you could see blood on Violetta’s pillow because she had tuberculosis and was coughing up blood. The lighting also made the story more dramatic, sometimes focusing on one person. It also helped you see better if you were in a spot where you wouldn’t be able to see the stage as well. In conclusion, the setting and lighting really helped the opera.

The director decided to make the time and setting of the story be 1950s paris. The costumes really went with that theme. I think that the reason the director decided to make the opera be in Paris 1950s is because it would make the story a little less confusing if you were confused. Also the setting, Paris, goes great with the genre of the story, being a love story. Therefore, the setting was very helpful.

I´d suggest that my friends from my old school should watch this opera because it would be very interesting for them. I know that they've never seen an opera before and it would be very interesting for them. Some parts of the opera were really interesting and put me on the edge of my seat. Some parts were a bit boring, though. In my opinion, the 107 year old opera house was very fancy- the stage was very fancy, and I liked how the front of the stage was made of glass so you could see the orchestra that was playing below. I loved the chandelier. It really makes the place look more fancy.
Violetta’s performance bloomed like a flower. To sum up, I think that the performance was good and I would recommend it to my friends.
Anonymous said…
Student #12- Part One
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

La Traviata, the opera of the year, is the best opera I saw (even though it was my first opera). This review will tell you all about it and why I liked it or disliked it. La Traviata is basically about a girl, Violetta, trying to figure out if she wants the life of riches and luxury, or the life of love with a guy named Alfredo (not the pasta sauce). In my opinion La Traviata was quite awesome, in fact stop watching those brain-rotting movies, come to the Academy of Music and watch an opera like La Traviata. Read my opera review and see what La Traviata is really like.

The music and voices, they were fantastic, and they were clear. The voices of the actors were very clear and fluent, I really loved how they sang and danced, but the only problem was that the black box that translated the speech from italian and English had a lot of delays. When you were listening to the arias or duets and you're looking at the black box you honestly couldn't tell what they were saying and when they were singing it, but for the most part people still could understand it. My favorite song was “The Drinking Song” because when they were all singing and dancing, it looked fun and lively, and people were having a nice time. All the arias, songs, and duets were nice and pure, but some of them were super long and I started getting drowsy, but other than that the music was fine. I thought the voice types had something to do with the character like Germont is a baritone voice type probably because Germont is big, a father, and he is kind of old and he is (for the most part) the antagonist in the beginning of the opera, but at some parts he sounds like he has a bass voice type, another example for this is Alfredo. Alfredo is a tenor voice type probably because he was young, he was a lover, nice, and he is one of the protagonists of the story. In other words I really loved the music and voices and I could talk about it so much more, but I must move on.

Now I am going to start talking about the staging, The staging in La Traviata was really cool, but there were a few parts of the stage that kind of annoyed me. I will tell you what they were. The first thing that I thought was really cool was the walls, the walls really make it feel like it was in Paris, but those walls made it feel like deja vu, because they used the same walls every act, every scene, it also made me kind of confused, because the wall was made out of doors or something, so I couldn't tell where the doors were unless they opened them. Honestly that was one of the biggest problems I had, and when you think about it that problem was pretty small. Other than that the staging was pretty cool, the couches made me want to jump off the edge and lay down on them, and the tables were just wow. Now the costumes they were really fancy, not like go to the mall or Disney Wworld fancy but it was go-to-the- ball fancy. Violetta’s dress in the beginning part of the opera is blue or violet, I don't know if they randomly took it out of a closet or if they thought it out, because Violetta’s dress is blue/violet, she is named after a violet, a violet is blue/violet, get the idea? All the costumes are really fancy and they all have to do with the story line, like at a party everyone is wearing dresses, tuxedos, suits, and just basic party clothes. If I was an actor in the opera I would wear a tuxedo like a boss, I would give more detail on the tuxedo, but I need to move to my next point.
Anonymous said…
Student #12- Part Two
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

The setting in the opera has a lot to do with the staging, it has so much to do with it is not even funny. The plot and the setting in the opera is based on 1950's Paris, every prop and costume made it seem like it was 1950's Paris. The props were super cool, like (again) the couches they really made it look like it was made in Paris and in the 1950s, because you can't find something like that today in your regular furniture store. The costumes really hit the spot though, the costumes looked like they were from the 1950s, the tuxedos and what the men were wearing made it look like it was from the 1950's but you could probably find those at your nearest closet. I also thought how the director placed the people was was well thought out, it really made the act look more realistic than they already did. So basically I thought the setting was really good, but there is only one thing I thought was kind of weird, why did Flora look like a man? On to the next thing, the characters!

The characters in the opera have a lot to do with the opera, yes even the servant. Ok, the best person to start with is Violetta, Violetta is a courtesan, who wants to love Alfredo, She is nice, likes parties and liveliness, but in my opinion is treated bad by a few people like Germont. Let's talk about Germont, Alfredo's father, he is really mean, an example for that is that he persuaded Violetta through guilt to leave Aalfredo with Alfredo, so his daughter can get married, see that was one example, but Germont changes character at the end, who knows why? It could be because he felt sorry for her, guilt, or maybe he wanted to be a better person, but know one knows. Let's go to Alfredo, Alfredo is probably the most loved actor in the opera if not that, then he is one of the best, Alfredo is Violetta's lover, he is nice and kind and will do anything for Violetta. One of the things that I don't like about Alfredo is that he can rage really good at some parts (is that good?). All the other characters in the opera might be important to the opera but just not important to be recognized in the review. Let's go to our last paragraph.

In this opera review/essay I talked about a lot of things in the opera like the voices and setting, I hoped you like that. In other words this opera was about how La Traviata was good, bad and how everything was, the setting, staging, music and voices, and characters were just epic. This opera was really awesome and it should be one of the best operas in the world, not the most performed, not the best actors, but one of the best operas in the world. I hoped you liked my essay, if you didn't I still hoped you at least learned something from it.
Anonymous said…
Student #13- Part One
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

Did you hear the news? Violetta is having a party at her house! Violetta, a beautiful courtesan, has a big party at her house and invites her friend Flora and other guests. One of the guests is a handsome young man, Alfredo Germont. Alfredo has loved Violetta and finally tells Violetta that he loves her. Violetta loves him, but she has tuberculosis, a deadly disease. She decides to start selling her belongings so that she can live with Alfredo. While she is at home, Giorgio Germont, Alfredo’s father, comes in. He tells her that she cannot marry Alfredo because of his daughter’s future. Violetta writes a letter to Alfredo saying that she loves the Baron and she is going with him to Flora’s party. Alfredo is angry at Violetta so he goes to the party, too. Later on, at the time of the party, Violetta and the Baron walk into Flora’s house to Alfredo at the door. Alfredo insists to play some poker with the Baron. Alfredo wins every time. A short time after that Violetta gets in an argument with Alfredo, and he throws all his winnings at her feet. The whole party is ashamed and Alfredo is ashamed of himself, too. Days after the party, Violetta, in her bed, only has a couple hours to live. All of a sudden, Alfredo bursts through the door and he is too late, she has died. I don’t know about you, but that is such great storyline and Opera Philadelphia did a great job putting on the performance.

The whole entire opera blew me away. I thought the performance was very engaging. Giuseppe Verdi, the co-author, had a great storyline including part of life. There was one song, at the first party when she gets on the piano and sings, stood out to me. I was not expecting people rolling and spinning the piano around the room. They really brought out all the excitement in their singing and it sounded amazing. Personally, that is my favorite song out of the whole opera. Another scene is at the very end when Violetta she is dying and Alfredo bursts in and tries to save her. They put a lot of detail into that scene because I saw blood on the pillow and covers. That made someone who didn’t know Violetta had tuberculosis, easily know that she did. There were some boring parts that carried on a little, but all productions have them. As the storyline blew away. the staging was just flawless!
Anonymous said…
Student #13- Part Two
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

I did not see any flaws in the staging or lighting. I loved the big curtain they pulled up. Aat first I had forgotten the beginning of the opera (the part with the doctor) and the stage was empty, at least at my view it was, but then the spotlight guided me to the bottom left part of the stage and then I knew exactly what was happening. I also loved the suits and dresses that the actors and actresses had on. Violetta’s dresses really brought out the emotion in her. Then there was that really cool in the second act how at the door, you could see shadows of people carrying stuff. While the staging was flawless, I thought the musical part of the opera had some flaws.

I really thought the singing could be improved. In the first scene Violetta had a lot of emotion, but then that emotion started to die throughout the opera. You could the feelings, but could not hear it. Even though I couldn’t hear the emotion, I loved the range of Violetta and Alfredo’s voices. Although the voices had some flaws, the orchestra was spot on with their music. I loved how they did the duet song: Un di, felice, eterea ( translated, a happy ethereal ). It really showed the mood that Violetta was in and it also got stuck in my head. It was just a beautiful song. As the the mMusical part of the opera had one or two flaws, the director did a great job choosing the setting.

The setting really matched everything. Instead of making it in the 1750’s or the 1850’s, he made the performance in a 1950’s environment. I could actually know what kind of suits and dresses they wore because that style is closer to my generation. I also like how Giuseppe Verdi, the co-author of the opera, created the opera in Paris and outside of Paris, in a small town. Paris is the city of love and I understood why Verdi put a tragic love opera and such a loving city. What a smart man.

What an opera! Even though La Traviata was my first opera, it will probably be my favorite opera of all time. A classic from Verdi, but inspired by Dumas,. La Traviata is probably his best piece and everyone, including me, will love this opera for days to come.
Anonymous said…
Student #14
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

When was the last time you saw a performance that really grabbed your attention? From the beginning, La Traviata grabs your attention and never lets go. I think that La Traviata is an amazing performance that you should definitely see. The main characters include a young courtesan named Violetta, whose life is threatened by tuberculosis, and a young man named Alfredo who would risk his life for Violetta’s love.

Other main characters include the Baron, who was with Violetta before Alfredo and Giorgio Germont, Alfredo’s father, who doesn’t approve of Violetta and asks her to leave Alfredo. Sadly, Violetta listens to Germont. Alfredo is torn when he hears this. Inside, Violetta still loves him, though. Alfredo still didn’t know that Violetta had tuberculosis and he wanted to live with her together. Then, while Violetta is on her deathbed, Alfredo finds her and tells her his future plans of living with her. At the end, Violetta dies in Alfredo’s arms. This part was really engaging because it was so sad and it made me want to know what would happen next. The great staging was really detailed.

The staging was very beautiful. The only bad thing about it was you wouldn’t know whose house they are in. For example, Alfredo was laying on a couch, but then Violetta goes into that same room while Alfredo’s gone and calls her maid, Annina. The walls were very well decorated though. The staging really helped make it more realistic. For instance, Violetta’s bed had blood on it to really showed detail. This is one of my favorite scenes because it was so detailed and dramatic. The costumes were a part of the staging and went very well in the time it was set in.

The opera was set in the 1950s in Paris, France. Originally, Verdi wanted it to be set in the 1850s, but Opera Philadelphia changed it. I think that that was a good choice because it’s closer to our time, so there are more similarities than the 1850s. It makes it easier to understand. Although I enjoyed the setting, I thought the singing had some flaws.

The music was phenomenal. There was a perfect mixture of instruments. I think it would have been better if it were in English because then I wouldn’t have to look up at the screen, then have to look at the stage. When I had to do that I missed some of the opera. The good thing about the music was that the music and the singing were both dramatic and showed emotion through the singing such as during the first song, the Brindisi. The singers were singing in a happy tone and singing to an upbeat song playing in the background. The performer’s voices were great and you could definitely tell how their character was feeling through the tones of their voices. I thought that the people playing the music deserve a lot of credit. They played for about 3 hours!

Even though Violetta dies, the love for Verdi’s opera stays alive.
Anonymous said…
Student #15- Part One
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

La Traviata is the most frequently staged opera in the world for good reasons. Giuseppe Verdi has made a masterpiece. La Traviata is one of the most famous operas around the world. I recently went to see the performance myself, and I thought it was spectacular. The acting, singing, dancing, the scenery, it all comes together to form the wonderful opera, La Traviata. Of course, there were some flaws to the opera. I was not a personal fan of the ending, and some other parts droned on as well. But the great moments in the performance are what made it truly spectacular. My review will go over a synopsis, details about the opera and of course, my thoughts and opinions.

La Traviata in English means “Fallen Woman.” Violeta is the main character in the performance. She is a courtesan living in Paris. She is gorgeous, but is also sadly dying from tuberculosis. She is comforted by her love, Alfredo, in her last moments. Alfredo Germont is a young man who finds Violeta during a party, where he announces his love for her. Unfortunately Giorgio Germont doesn’t approve of their happiness. Giorgio Germont is Alfredo’s father, and he doesn’t want his son to be married to Violeta because she is a courtesan, which was thought to be a very dishonorable job to have. Violeta has to choose between luxurious life and love. She makes sacrifices, but chooses Alfredo in the end. Violeta and Germont aren’t very fond of each other. Germont pretends to be nice to Violeta, but only wants her to leave his son. Germont persuades Violeta to leave, but Alfredo is furious with her for leaving him without a simple goodbye. They meet at a party, where Alfredo humiliates and insults her. He throws his winnings at her feet in rage. This was an exciting moment in the opera, adding to my overall positive liking of the production. La Traviata is a simplistic but well thought out opera.

There are many engaging moments in this opera, but everything has its flaws. There were also some unengaging, boring and interminably dragging scenes during the performance. Act two, scene one for example took quite a long time to finish. The singing was slow and endless, the scenery was boring, and the scene did not matter to the plot until the very end of the scene, where Violeta left Alfredo. Act three was also very dreary and sad, nearly yawning me to sleep. The very end was tragic, and the opera was good, but some moments leading up to the finale were quite boring, with long songs and close to no importance in the plot. La Traviata has some good minutes, but also some dull half-hours.

The music in La Traviata was amazing. Violeta and Alfredo both sang out with very beautiful voices and to the music of some very great songs. The songs in an opera are what moves it forward, as most of the plot is sung through words. The Brindisi was my personal favorite. It was very pleasant to listen to. The aria in which Germont and Violeta conversed over her staying or leaving was important to the plot. It was very long, and a little boring, but it helped move the story forward. The voices were great, the songs were even better, the singing and dancing werewas absolutely spectacular.
Anonymous said…
Student #15- Part Two
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

The sets, costumes and staging enhanced the performance very much. From The Baron’s white and red suit to the grand staircase during the first scene, the decor and design were beautiful. I thought that Violeta’s ragged clothes in the final scene made her look how she felt, sick and dying, but she still looked great. Another example of the costumes was Violeta’s azure blue dress and emerald green heart necklace that shined so much that I could see it sparkling from my seat. The furniture was very pretty. It was modern, but it looked like it was from 1950, the time the performance was set in. One more detail that wasn’t exactly part of the show was the chandelier in the opera house. It was massive, and had over 50 small lights attached to it. It lit up the whole opera house with its glowing radiance. The staging, scenery and costumes in La Traviata were simply amazing, truly designed to be as elegant as possible.

The setting of the opera was in the 1950 Paris France. This can be seen through the lack of electronics and modern equipment that we use today. The opera’s originally set time was updated to 1950, because the older version limited the setting, staging, costumes and scenery. The updated setting is a good thing, because it extends the reach of creativity that it used to have when it was set before 1950. La Traviata wouldn’t have been nearly as popular as it is today if they didn’t make it more modern.

My overall opinion of the opera is positive, but the ending was particularly was dreary. I thought it droned on too much. I enjoyed a selection of songs, the costumes, music, staging, scenery and dancing, but the performance started to drag in the end. The songs got longer, the plot got more complicated, and the ending fell in quality after the climax. La Traviata is like a flower. All flowers take time to grow. La Traviata wasn’t the most popular opera when it first was performed. But it eventually bloomed like every flower should. In it’s blooming state, it was a beautifully written and performed opera. It bloomed into a fantastic performance. Still, a flower has its its flaws as an opera does. Sometimes a flower will smell bad, some look ugly. But you can always find the beauty in one if you really look. Unfortunately, every flower will eventually die. La Traviata wilted in the end, just as every flower should. As I said, La Traviata is the most frequently staged opera in the world for good reasons.
Anonymous said…
Student #17- Part One
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

I found myself on the edge of my seat with the very notable conflict, drama, and romance between the main characters. In the beginning of La Traviata, Alfredo expressed his love for Violetta with song. Violetta did not know how to react to this but eventually decides she loves him as well. Germont, Alfredo’s father, does not want Violetta and Alfredo to be together. He thinks that Alfredo marrying someone that is paid to love people will dishonor the family name. He asks Violetta to leave Alfredo. Violetta claims to love the Baron which just makes Alfredo even more upset. He throws his winnings from gambling at Violetta in anger and duels the Baron. Violetta’s tuberculosis worsens and before she dies, Alfredo and Violetta claim their love for each -other. I loved the story of the opera and enjoyed having the supertitles over the stage so I knew what the characters were saying. Something I would like to change was the seating. Being on the top story and pretty far to the left made seeing the entire stage difficult, I was unable to see while sitting back in my seat. However, I found the opera very engaging.

I found most of La Traviata to be very engaging. I was the most engaged when Alfredo blew up at Violetta. What made this part engaging was the drama and how Alfredo disrespected Violetta greatly. Alfredo threw his earnings from that night at Violetta. This made everyone at the party mad. He was thrown to the ground while everyone at the party was yelling at him and trying to get to him (not to help him of course). I was unsure if the crowd of people would get to him and start beating him. However, there were also parts where I was almost falling asleep. When Violetta was alone singing about how Alfredo loved her but she couldn’t love him back, I was not very engaged. I found the scene to be boring and very solm. On the contrary, I very much enjoyed the music and how it went along with the opera.

It was very easy to tell that the music was made for this opera, there were all the high and low notes in all the right places. When the character and theme were happy, the music was faster and more upbeat. When there was heartbreak or tragedy, the music was very slow and gave me goosebumps. My favorite song of La Traviata was “The Drinking Song.” This was my favorite piece because I loved the catchy tune and overall happiness. My favorite dDuet was the argument between Violetta and Germont. I liked it because it was very intense and dramatic. I was not thrilled with the arias, I found them to be very solemn and boring. It seemed that most of them were just singing to themselves about their depression and problems. Regardless, the voices were very strong and beautiful. Even though I don’t speak Italian, I could tell the characters’ emotions and had many goosebumps. Violetta had a very dramatic voice making it very easy to tell her emotions. I found Alfredo to be the same way. Germont had a very distinct tone in his voice that made it clear he was older and more in command. The music and voices went along very well together and made the opera a stunning performance. In a similar fashion, I loved the staging and costumes.
Anonymous said…
Student #17- Part Two
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

I really liked the staging and costumes and thought they had an impact on the plot. In most of the scenes, the sets looked very antique and detailed. There were many chandeliers but . I could tell that the director did not make the sets too detailed and distracting. There were some details that I really liked and made what was happening more clear, such as when Violetta was lying on her bed there was blood on the sheets and pillow. This clearly indicates that she has Tuberculosis and is dying from it. Another example of this is tThe lights when a door to outside was opened. You could also hear noises from outside which I thought added a nice touch. Along the same lines, I liked the costumes and thought they went along with the theme of the opera and what was happening in the opera. The costumes looked like costumes from 1950s France. They also went along with what was happening in the opera, at the parties the costumes were very fancy and when Violetta was laying in her bed, she was in a nightgown with blood on it. The staging and costumes made the setting very clear.

The setting of the opera was made very clear by the staging and costumes. The setting of La Traviata was 1950s France. I liked how the time setting of La Traviata was updated from the original opera. I thought it made the opera more understandable because it is more like modern times. Examples of this are when they are at the parties. The characters did more modern things that made what was going on seem more understandable and/or humorous. Another example of this is the sets and costumes. They looked similar to modern day gowns and fancy homes.

I had an overall positive opinion on La Traviata. The main reason I liked the opera was because of its drama and romance. Everything in the opera was emphasized and Violetta and Alfredo’s love was very intense and infinite. Neither of them were willing to truly give the other up. I also loved how well the singing and songs went together. When the singer was singing solemnly, so was the orchestra. I did like the sets but they were not one of my main highlights. This was an incredible and I recommend this La Traviata to anyone who is looking for an amazing opera.

Anonymous said…
Student #19- Part One
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

La Traviata, in Italian, means The Fallen Woman. But does Violetta the protagonist really fall? This opera is about a well known courtesan, Violetta, who fell in love with Alfredo. Alfredo claims he has loved her for more than a year. They go into the country for a couple of months and then Alfredo’s father, Giorgio Germont, comes. He persuades Violetta to leave Alfredo for his daughter, Alfredo’s sister, because the man that wants to marry her won’t marry until there is no courtesan is in the family. She agrees but only because he promises that when she dies Alfredo won’t curse her memory because she has always loved him. She sends Alfredo a note and he is not just upset, but overwrought. He sees an invitation she received to Flora’s party, another well known courtesan. He rushes out the house tearing himself away from his father’s loving arms yelling “I’ll have my own for that!” When Alfredo arrives at the party he see’s Violetta with The Baron. He challenges the baron to a card game and wins, and wins, and wins. It is then dinner and they have to stop the gambling, and they promise each other a duel. While the rest of the guests go into the dining room, Violetta asks to speak with Alfredo. When he comes, she asks him to leave before he gets hurt. They argue a lot and then Alfredo calls the other guests to him. He then embarrasses her by throwing his winnings at her feet saying it’s time to repay her. All the party guests start beating him for his actions. In the next act Violetta is almost overcome with her sickness. Anina, her maid, goes and get’s Violetta’s mail and comes back excited, saying Alfredo is back. Anina brings him in and he begs her for her forgiveness. She says she forgives him and his father and tells the doctor that she wants to live again. When Germont and the doctor come in she dies in the arms of Alfredo. But before she died she had enough time to sing with Alfredo.

They sang a heart breakingly sad duet how Violetta will get better in Alfredo’s care. But after listening to the duet for about two minutes it got boring. But the first song the whole group sang, The Brindisi, was phenomenal. It was upbeat and loud. Alfredo sang, toasting Violetta’s health. I feel that that first song really complimented Alfredo and set the mood for the whole opera. My favorite part of the Brindisi was when Alfredo was singing, and while he was doing that Violetta started jumping octaves. Violetta’s high melodious voice really complimented her especially in the scenes with Alfredo. It made me think that she really loved him in the plot. Alfredo on the other hand had a deeper voice, but I loved how it was still kind of high. Germont’s voice was deep and really made me think of a father. Most songs were beautiful and sad which helped the plot and characters.

I feel the characters worked well together and really encouraged the plot. I feel some parties were very dramatic and vivid. Especially the one at Flora’s. Speaking of Flora I think she kind of got a little weird at her party. But the whole time I really felt Alfredo really loved Violetta, and Violetta in turn loved him. When Germont came and asked her to leave Alfredo, I feel that he was very persuasive. This was A plus for the opera. Another plus for the opera was the staging.
Anonymous said…
Student #19- Part Two
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

The background was phenomenal especially the stairs. I was surprised you could actually walk on them. I feel the couches didn’t always match one another but that wasn’t that big of a problem. The thing I really want to change is how the main characters didn’t really stick out. It would really help to know who was Alfredo compared to the baron. I also think Flora should wear a dress. But I loved how the women seemed to glide round the room. The spotlight always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. I really liked how at the time Alfredo embarresses Violetta the spotlight was on him which helped you stay interacted with him. Besides the staging I feel the setting was good too.

Its setting took place in 1950’s Paris a,nd I feel it helped me grasp it better than if it were set in the time it was written. The man who wrote La Traviata, Giuseppe Verdi, lived in the 1850’s and that is the time frame he wrote it in. I get a better understanding in the 1950’s because I live closer to that time frame which helps me to understand. The 1950’s was also a beautiful and young era. I also noticed their was a phone in some scenes, and I can’t forget the phone. In my opinion the setting was very good which brings me to my whole opinion of La Traviata.

I loved it, the opera I mean. I would recommend it to anyone who even has a spark of interest as long as they’re older than 8, are mature, and can read really wellreal good or can understand Italian. I bolded mature because their is one party scene that kind of got weird in a bad way. I know my mom would love it and so would my best friend. Those are just two out of many I would recommend this opera too. And I know some scenes will make them break down and cry like I wanted to. Which brings me to my beginning question. Did Violetta really fall? I believe she didn’t because the Philadelphia Opera House is still reliving her life.
Anonymous said…
Student #20
Avon Grove Charter School
Sixth Grade

Have you ever liked something but thought it could be, improved? Well, I feel that way about the opera, La Traviata. The plot is very well done but I think it could be less depressing. It starts out with a courtesan named Violetta. Violetta has just met a man named Alfredo who has loved her for a year. Alfredo’s father is Germont and he doesn’t like the fact Alfredo is in love with Violetta. Germont goes to Violetta and tries to persuade her into leaving Alfredo. She understands and tells Germont to tell Alfredo the news once she is dead. Alfredo ends up knowing the news a little bit sooner than he should have and gets very upset. At the end Violetta is on her deathbed but Alfredo gives her a surprise visit and forgives her. Violetta dies a happy woman.

I enjoyed the part when Germont visits Violetta to tell her to “breakup” with Alfredo. In this scene I could tell that Violetta was really upset just thinking about Alfredo and her not being together. She picked up a pile of papers and threw them against the wall. This made my eyes very big because I was surprised. Unlike when Germont was talking to Alfredo and asking him to forgive him. It wasn’t as exciting but, it was very calming. (The music was low and quiet.) I was very tempted to fall asleep! Despite the music in the boring scene, the rest of the music was rather engaging.

I really enjoyed the music in La Traviata. It added much more emotion to every scene. Without it,the opera wouldn’t be as enjoyable. The music let you know when the mood was changing and had shown the emotions of all the characters. For example when a character was mad the drums would loudly boom. When something dramatic was happening the drums would play as well. It helped that there was an interesting array of instruments. The staging for the opera was similar to the music.

I really thought the staging was an enhanced feature in the opera. The staging also tells hints about what and who is important. Like in the beginning of the opera a light was shown on Violetta. It made me wonder, ‘Why is the light only shown on her?’ Her dress was very colorful which made her stand out from everyone else. Not just in the beginning but throughout the opera as well. Violetta’s dresses were so bright it was as if she was a flower. Sadly the setting of the opera didn’t go as well as the staging.

The settings of the opera hardly changed. For example, in each scene of the opera the walls were the same. In fact, to me, they walls looked like doors glued together sitting up. (At least the sizes of the rooms in each scene changed.) In scene 2, Alfredo kept playing with the tennis racket. Why? It had no need at all. I don’t think it was the best to change the time period of La Traviata. To me the 1950’s doesn’t suit the opera. It doesn’t make sense. (Were courtesans even around in the 1950’s?)

La Traviata could definitely be improved, but along with that it also should not change. It is as delicate as a flower. It just needs some sun and it will be sure to blossom.

Anonymous said…
Milo
8th Grade
Charles w. Henry School

The performance told the story dramatically in many different ways, so I can be engaged in the plot. The main character's in the opera where Viloetta,Alfredo. Violetta was suffering from a illness and Alfredo was a young man in love with Viloetta, but Alfredo's dad Giorgio didn't want his son to love and marry the courtesan Violetta because his daughter fiance told him they weren't going to get married if alfredo got married to violetta. So Giorgio told to leave Alfredo.
The music did carry the characters and action forward many times in the opera. The particular voices i like where Flora's, Alfredo and violetta's. Why i like Flora's and viloetta's is because they where sopranos but flora was more of a mezzo soprano. The duets that added to the conflict was Violetta and Giorgio. How the sets undermine the plot was they put it so if we where actually there. The costumes enhance the plot because they all dressed up like 1950's Paris , And the staging in the opera enhance the set, Because the props made the stage come alive.
The setting the composer imagined it has been updated. The change adds to the of the piece. The setting really can be played in any time period cause of props, Also the setting just cant be played as the 1800's cause the church censor it back then.
Last but not least I would recommend the performance to my friends and family because the performance had everything but Action and Adventure and also Horror. But it had Drama,Comedy,Suspense. Thats like a really great movie put into in opera. Also I will tell them about flora's party and the dancing and the conflict, lastly I would tell them about chandlers made out of crystals.
Anonymous said…
Johnai
8th grade
Charles W. Henry school

Opera review

I loved seeing La Traviata! That was my first time going to see an opera. My favorite character in La Traviata was Violetta Valery. Violetta was my favorite character because in the opera she was a beautiful, independent woman who never wanted to have to depend on a man for what she needed. Sadly, the beloved Violetta was terribly sick with with tuberculosis but she kept a smile on her face and never let it worry her.

The music to the opera was beautiful and went perfectly with the songs that were sung. The characters hit every one of their notes amazingly with the orchestra. I think the music gave the opera more excitement and suspense. Some of the music expressed how the characters felt and showed the representation of the scenery. An example of the music going with the scenes is at the scene of the party, the music was very cheerful and upbeat, but at the end of the opera when Violetta was dying, the music was scarce and had a sad low tempo.

The sets, costumes, and staging were amazing. I thought that the costumes the characters wore were spot on. The sets the opera used were made very realistic, like I actually felt live we were in Paris. Throughout the opera, the costumes went with the scenes wonderfully and correctly. All together everything went positively great.

The opera officially was written in the 1800s in Italy but the setting was supposed to be in the 1950s in Paris. La Traviata did at first had a troubling beginning. It was censored by but still became very famous. They started out bad but rose to the top. The opera became very successful in its time.

I would definitely recommend the performance to my friends and family. I thought the performance was entertaining and an awesome show for everyone. At the show anyone and everyone who was there enjoyed the show as much as me. The people that i would recommend the performance to would absolutely fall in love with the opera. Therefore, I would recommend the performance to my friends and family.
Anonymous said…
Dhakiyah
8th Grade
Charles W. Henry School

The La'Traviata was a great experience. The music was lovely. You could feel the vibe of what the characters were feeling by their voices. When Violetta and Alfredo sang together you could tell they were happy. When Alreado and his father sang together you could feel the anger and the pain Alreado felt. At The party in Paris Alfredo treated Violetta wrong. When this happened the party crowed around Alreado furiously and sang with so much power in their voices because of what he did. Back then it was non-manly to treat a women that way.

The sets were beautiful. The lighting went with each act;bright lights at parties, and dull lights in desperate times. The costumes were put together well. My favorite costume was Violetta dress in the beginning. It was surprising to see that the characters knew where to stand; it was a lot of people on one stage. I also loved how this was a rehearsal and it still went all the way through with no mishaps or mistakes.

1950's in paris was the setting of the opera. I believe it was a few changes from when it was first written. Back then they did not support homosexuality; it was not normal to people back then. The women and men were not able to mingle with each other let alone touch one another unless they were married. The way they changed the opera was interesting because I know from my studies they didn't support the things that was being showed in the opera.

I would definitely recommend a friend to see this opera. From the time you sit in your seats until the time you leave you will be into the opera. It was funny and also jaw dropping. Even though it had a sad ending the experience all together was great. I would like to thank all the adults who allowed me to have the opportunity to attend La'Traviata.
Kaila Muldoon said…
Kaila
Ridley High School
12 th Grade
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the final dress rehearsal of La Traviata. This opera was my second one; I saw Barber of Saville last year. I feel like La Traviata gave me better insight on the life of a courtesan and how life was in Paris in the past. I was also very surprised at the amount of Italian I understood during the opera.
I liked seeing the progress of Alfredo and Violetta's relationship, how their love grew and changed. I often found myself frustrated by the many obstacles that separated them from each other. I was so very angry with Alfredo's father when he told Violetta that she should stay away from Alfredo. He judged her character and ended up ruining Alfredo and Violetta's chances of living a happy life together.
My favorite scene of the opera would probably be when Violetta is at her death bed suffering from consumption. I feel as if the emotion in that scene was raw and relatable. I was very happy when Alfredo finally came to see Violetta before she passed away.
Unknown said…
Logan
Ridley high school
11th grade

The La'Traviata was an extraordinary event. Alfredo was a great role in the play and I enjoyed him the most. The part where they were being inappropriate was funny and unexpected. It got weird after a while though. I would of liked it more if I knew Italian better, but for not being able to understand a lot it was fun, and I am happy I had the opportunity to go.
Anonymous said…
Sebastian
Ridley High school
11th grade

Everything was wonderful, from the beautiful singing to wondrous setting. I enjoyed it thoroughly, it really touched me emotionally. I feel like a more cultural gentlemen, when he watched as his love was dying it moved me to tears. This play should be seen by all people, everyone should experience this wonderful work of art.
Anonymous said…
Elina
Ridley High School
11th grade

La'Traviata was a wonderful opera. It was actually the first time I ever attended an opera. I had a great time and I would definitely watch me again. It was very beautiful. The sets were very detailed and perfectly crafted. I especially liked the lighting on the sets, I thought it was very interesting. The atmosphere itself was beautiful. The opera house was very unique, with the painted ceiling and the enormous chandelier.

The performers were very talented. I was very impressed by their voices. Violetta's vocal range was very big, she could change her singing voice from high to low in a very flowing way that seemed almost natural. It made me feel as if everyone was able to sing the way she did. My favorite scene would have to be the party. It was very humorous.
Naomi said…
Naomi
12th grade
Ridley High School

Stepping into the opera theater was like stepping into the past. From the murals to the architecture of the building to the huge chandelier, it was inexplicably timeless. As if the whole milieu of the opera wasn't captivating enough, the curtains of the stage were pulled up to reveal a stage set in the 1950s.

Like the theater, the play encompassed a story powerfully and entertaitingly told. The actors represented characters so flawed and beautiful that the audience laughed at the funny scenes and cried at the sad ones. My first time at an opera is definitely not one I'm ever forgetting in this lifetime.
Anonymous said…
Morgan
12th grade
Ridley High School

I really enojoyed seeing la traviata. The opera was heart felt and very interesting to see. The story was very dramatic and sad because of everything that was happening between violettta and Alfredo. There were to many parts in the opera that I enjoyed and that we're just so much to see. The ending was very tragic to see. When violettta was dying she seemed like she was in pain and that she was trying to fight death. But I liked how the opera took place in the 1950s rather than the 1800s because we couldicture the era better and it gave us more of a visual and a background of what times were like then. I would defiantly recommend my friends to go to this opera.

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...