Students in the Opera Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw Verdi's Don Carlo at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia on April 22, 2015.
Family ties don't always bind
Sometimes it’s peace, not war, that tests a man’s loyalty. Elisabeth, the centerpiece of an uneasy treaty between France and Spain, ignites a love triangle of epic proportions. While brokered to King Philip II of Spain, it is his son Don Carlo who possesses her heart. Now they must choose: loyalty or their lives?
Bass-baritone Eric Owens makes his much-anticipated role debut as King Philip II alongside Dimitri Pittas,Leah Crocetto, and Michelle DeYoung in their company debuts. Troy Cook and Morris Robinson round out a powerhouse cast in this new production directed by Tim Albery and conducted by Music Director Corrado Rovaris.
Participating students are encouraged to share their thoughts on the opera by posting their reviews here. All reviews, positive and negative, will be accepted, just make sure to include your:
- FIRST NAME
- GRADE
- SCHOOL
Tell us what you liked about the story, the sets, your favorite character, or your favorite scene, and more.
Don't forget to support your opinion in 50 words or more!
Thanks!

Comments
8th Grade
TPS
The Opera was very good. I enjoyed the acting part more than the opera because I am not a huge fan of opera singing. Even though I am not a huge fan of the style of singing, the actor's voices were amazing. I enjoyed the Grand Inquisitors deep and powerful voice and King Phillip's strong voice. Even for a person who doesn't enjoy opera it was very entertaining.
Grade: 8
School: The Philadelphia School
I really enjoyed the opera. I thought that the set, while minimal, was really interesting and really gave the whole show a certain feel, which I really enjoyed. I loved how the cage-like walls that descended down could be used to represent so many different things, and I loved the sudden change after intermission with all the ashes on stage right. I thought it was a really cool thing to catch our eyes. I think that my favorite character was Tibaldo. I thought it was a really fun character and the actress that played him was very energetic and almost sprite-like. I really enjoyed the show and everyone was very talented and skilled.
Grade 8
The Philadelphia School
My favorite character was the ghost of Charles V. I have a few reasons for this. First, he was ghastly and well depicted as a ghastly figure. His face wasn't shown and that made him seem more ghastly. Second, He was a very minor character, he gave Carlo a lot of advise even though he was rarely on stage. Lastly, I liked his costume. It was interesting what they would dress him in even though he was a ghost and I never thought ghosts would have clothes let alone ones that looked like he was a priest or something of importance to the church.
Grade 8
The Philadelphis School
I think that The King, Rodrigo, and Carlos should all have different unique costumes that reflect their unique personalities. I also think that Carlos should've been a little less timid looking and should look more valiant and prince like. Also I think that Eboli should've looked younger.
8th grade
The Philadelphia School
I enjoyed this opera very much. My favorite character was King Phillip. I loved his passion and his soul that he put into the opera, it made it so much better. I was very dissapointed that Eboli was sick. It was very sad because I couldn't experience her full voice range. Although she was sick, she was still a very good actress.
The Philadelphia School
8th Grade
I loved Don Carlo (the opera). My grandparents saw it previously and so I learned a lot about it. The ending was very mysterious and I think it was intended to be, but a few more answers would have been nice because I was left wondering if Don Carlo was alive or fleeing to Flanders and survived. Also I would in general like to know how everything panned out. Also why were the king, Rodrigo and the Don Carlo wearing the same costume? I feel like the opera was missing something, but that was probably Princess Eboli’s voice.
8th
The Philadelphia School
I enjoyed Don Carlo very much. It was full of strong characters, complicated story lines and lots of amazing singing. The costumes were authentic and dramatic, but there was a lot of gray. The set was hard to understand. I now realize that it was the dome on top of El Escorial on its side, but when I first saw it, it looked like a modern structure and I was very confused. Overall it was a really interesting.
8th
The Philadelphia School
I enjoyed Don Carlo very much. It was full of strong characters, complicated story lines and lots of amazing singing. The costumes were authentic and dramatic, but there was a lot of gray. The set was hard to understand. I now realize that it was the dome on top of El Escorial on its side, but when I first saw it, it looked like a modern structure and I was very confused. Overall it was a really interesting.
8th grade
TPS
My class and I recently went to Don Carlo. I enjoyed it very much. My favorite character is Rodrigo. Rodrigo is a wild character able to change his composer for the situation when-ever he choses. Nobody truly knows what he wants except the audience. My favorite scene was the last scene and how Don Carlo just disappeared and leaves you wondering.
Grade 8
The Philadelphia School
As I watched the opera, I thought about the title of the opera. I think that the opera should have been called Rodrigo because he is the actually the one who drove the story on and led characters into thinking a different way. As I watched this opera in person, I didn't fully understand the way the set was supposed to mean because I didn't have any background knowledge about the dome of the place King Phillip used to live. My favorite character(s) were King Phillip, Rodrigo, and Queen Elizabeth. I liked King Phillip because his voce was AMAZING! I loved the part when he was having a duet with the Grand Inquisitor. I liked Rodrigo because he's just the best character. He ends up having a emotional connection with everybody and it's just cool how he wants to save Flanders and how he's just the hero and savior. Elizabeth is a classy character and I liked how she kept her cool and contained her feelings until the very end. That plot twist at the end when her and Carlo kissed when the king came in was absolutely thrilling. I enjoyed it very much.
Grade 10
Charter-Tech
The whole performance was incredible. The way the band moved with the performers voices, and the way everyones harmonies and melodies collided with one another. There was not a time where i did not feel the emotions in any of the singers voices. You didn't even need to look at the words to know the emotion they were expressing. The setting also played a huge part. Yes the setting was exquisite, but there was not a ton of detail to the setting itself, the lighting played a major part making the material settings shine more to everyone in the audience. My favorite character through the whole show was Rodrigo. His innocence was known from Don Carlo, but he wanted his friend to stand tall and help the others of Flanders, and let his life be taken from him so Don Carlo could do his job. In a strange way this Opera can be related to life. A true relationship of friendship, and loving someone you can't have.
Grade: 8
School: Lawrence Middle School
I really enjoyed the opera. I really liked the singing and the acting. I didn't like how half the time the captions worked and half the time they didn't. Though I do realize that the performance was the dress rehearsal so they tech stuff might not be perfect. The cast was really good and I was on the edge of my seat the entire 3 and a half hours. Bravo and brava to the entire cast.
8th Grade
Patton Middle School
I am an actor myself so I was able to really appreciate the work. Although I prefer plays and musicals over operas because they aren't my style, but I do think it was put together well and it was an excellent performance.
8th Grade
CFPMS
I liked the opera Don Carlo. The music was very entertaining and the plot was very intriguing. The characters played there roles very well, and each of their parts I could tell were selected very carefully. The background performers also did a good job, I could hear each of their voices very well. I enjoyed the opera a lot and I thought it was a very good experience for all of us.
Grade: 8
School: Patton Middle School
I really enjoyed the experience. I was blown away by the sheer power of the actor's voices. I was extremely impressed by Michelle DeYoung. Despite the fact that she was not at her best, she still sounded beautiful. Everyone's acting was so convincing. You were really able to feel sympathy for all the characters. Congratulations to the entire production team for this wonderful show.
Alanna
8th grade
CFPMS
8th Grade
Patton Middle School
I'm really not one for operas, however, this one was very well done. I loved the set and all effort that must have been put into the entire show from the looks of it. Even though I didn't understand the words, the singing was great. I also really liked how the text was displayed. If it wasn't there, I would have been completely lost. Even though the opera isn't really my style, it was an interesting experience.
Grade 8
CFPMS
As a person who dislikes opera, I was supprised to how much I liked Don Carlo. Tibaldo was my favorite character. He seemed almost child-like and happy even during the horrible things that happened. I loved the set of sand piles on the stage. Above all, the final scene was my favorite. Carlo being embraced by the spirit was a great way to end not only his life, but the story as well.
Grade: 6th Grade
School: Bala Cynwyd Middle School
Out of the many arts expressed through the opera, the one that stood out to me the most was the orchestra. I really enjoyed how the orchestra and the music expressed the feelings and emotions in that scene or act. I especially enjoyed the music in the scene in which Rodrigo and the king were arguing. The music in that scene was intense and loud, fitting the mood of the scene. The orchestra also used dynamics, tempo, and pitch to convey the emotions. I also liked how the orchestra and the characters voices complemented each other.
Grade: 6
School: Bala Cynwyd Middle School
After my experience with my first opera, Don Carlo, I have many good thoughts and ideas about opera. I focused my attention onto the theater arts and the elements of theater arts during the opera. Some things that stood out to me were the actors and how they seemed to step into their character and their characters actions, personality, and emotions. The set of the performance was also very cool and interesting how it was set up. The way that the stage was tilted was very cool. If I was one of the actors for the performance, I would have a tough time trying to walk uphill and downhill for the whole opera! As an audience member, I was very engaged the whole performance and my emotions changed when the scene got more dramatic and more intense. I thought that the conflict between the characters was very strong and I was able to tell who didn’t like who and who loved who. The plot was very intense and I was able to pick out spots where we read from the libretto. Personally, my favorite character was Morris Robinson as the Grand Inquisitor. His loud booming voice definitely told me that he meant business. I could tell that Eric Owens, as King Philip II, was extremely scared of The Grand Inquisitor when King Philip II summoned The Grand Inquisitor for guidance. Overall, I really liked the opera and I hope to see another one soon.
I also really loved watching their costumes, they were magnificent and they all described their characters.
I think that if we hadn't been prepared by our wonderful teachers, I would have been confused throughout all the opera and I would have been bored. It was a great experience!
Giving books out to classes that were going to the opera was very smart. Not only were students able to know the story, but they also got background knowledge on opera, characters, and many other things. If my class had gone to Don Carlo without studying the book beforehand, I would have been lost.
In conclusion, I thought the opera was a great experience. It was creative, entertaining and well thought out.
I don't think I'm an opera guy. I would have preferred more acting and less singing.
I did enjoy the sets. they were quite fascinating and creative.
My favorite part was the grand inquisitor scene. It really showed how powerful he was, and the power he had over everybody.
overall I was not interested, but others might.
The opera itself was great but towards the end when Don Carlo and Queen Elizabeth were singing a duet, it made me tired because of it's length. All of they actors did a wonderful job in my opinion i hope Princess Eboli feels better but the singing was beautiful. King Phillips voice was my favorite because of the volume and his deeper voice.
I like how the back of the stage was used to let people on stage and in the beginning when Don Carlo was creeping off of it to his grandfather's grave.
The costumes were cool,the peoples costumes because they really show how this was in a different time. Also, i think you should try to make Charles the V's gold necklace more visible because it was kind of hard to see.
The organization on stage was cool like when the people were rushing on stage to get the prince.
I think the academy of music did a great job with this opera.
I would recommend this to other people
The opera itself was mediocre. I was confused for multiple reasons. Why was the script leaning to the right? Was there a reason for this? Why in the second act was there a hole in the back of the stage? And where did the ashes come from? One thing i did like however was the acting and voices of the actors. The grand inquisitors voice was deep and rich and beautiful as well as king Phillip's. Rodrigo i thought gave the best performance but i think that his voice(which was still great) was the worst. The costumes and the academy of music were both beautiful although i think that it could have been a little more organized.
The opera itself was great but towards the end when Don Carlo and Queen Elizabeth were singing a duet, it made me tired because of it's length. All of they actors did a wonderful job in my opinion i hope Princess Eboli feels better but the singing was beautiful. King Phillips voice was my favorite because of the volume and his deeper voice.
I like how the back of the stage was used to let people on stage and in the beginning when Don Carlo was creeping off of it to his grandfather's grave.
The costumes were cool,the peoples costumes because they really show how this was in a different time. Also, i think you should try to make Charles the V's gold necklace more visible because it was kind of hard to see.
The organization on stage was cool like when the people were rushing on stage to get the prince.
I think the academy of music did a great job with this opera.
I would recommend this to other people
8th Grade
Patton Middle School
The opera was very interesting and was very enjoyable. I really liked the sets, however they were a little too simple. The first set could have been a little bit more detailed, and not as simple. It needed a little more artistic to it. The second one was amazing. The rocks or sand were very detailed, and this set was a little bit better than the first. I liked the actors, as well. They seemed very realistic and their voices were amazing. :D
8th Grade
Charles F. Patton MS
Great Show! I liked the 2nd half much better as I thought it was faster and there was more going on. One thing that struck me was how the church controlled even the king, and how that was portrayed. People looked to God for everything, and now any given person can be an atheist or whatever they choose.
Advice: the more you can relate to the audience and the real world, the better
8th Grade
Patton Middle School
The opera was pretty good. I thought that the singing and acting was pretty good. It was hard to follow along with the story because it was in a foreign language. The stage props were minimal, but they we enough to get an idea of where they were. Overall, the opera was real good and the singers where good.
8th Grade
Patton Middle School
I really enjoyed the the opera. I don't usually enjoy operas or musicals in general, but it wasn't so bad. The subtitles were very helpful, but sometimes the actors were speaking/singing and there were no subtitles. Also, the costumes were really cool.
8th Grade
Patton Middle School
I thought the opera was absolutely amazing. The entire cast was just perfection and I loved the story. The singers were just fabulous and I aspire to be even near as good as them. The stage was worked out really well, it was splendid how the stage worked for every single scene. My favorite was Rodrigo because I felt he just put so much into becoming the character and doing it well. I've never been to an opera before, but now that I've seen this one, I've requested of my parents to take me to another. I'm so glad I got the experience.
8th Grade
Patton Middle School
I loved the feeling of the opera overall! Such beautiful music (especially the cello solo after intermission) that captured the moment of the scene perfectly. The stage/theater was magnificent too. My favorite character was Rodrigo. His singing was beautiful, and his acting was grand. Everyone was magnificent and so good!
I would definitely come back!
8th Grade
Patton Middle School
I thought the singing was really good. Although I didn't quite understand the ending, it was really engaging. The entire show had a good story and a lot of different interpretations.
Grade 8
CFPMS
This was a great experience and I will come again! The performers were excellent and had an amazing voice range. The only thing that wasn't great was the lack of subtitles during some scenes.
Patton Middle School
8th Grade
I felt the Opera was very enjoyable, if rather new to me as I have never seen an opera before. I felt that the set was rather minimal, but it did not distract from the story and I understand it would have been difficult to change the set or make it more complicated. I did not get the burnings of the Flemish people although I was able to piece together the majority of the story. Overall it was not something I loved as I am not a fan of the Opera, but it was a very enjoyable experience and I am glad I went.
8th Grade
Patton Middle School
The opera set was amazing! I loved the set change and the lighting. The lighting looked just like real sunlight, and I was shocked at how realistic it looked. Great show guys!
Grade:8
School:Patton
The play was very interesting. I found the stage interesting with the cages going up and down. The changes between the intermission was also really cool. The sandy stuff. I also really liked the subtitles at the top of the stage. My favorite character was Rigo!!!
Kicky
Patton Middle School
8th Grade
8th Grade
Patton Middle School
I really enjoyed the opera. I was surprised that the actors' voices could sing that long and still sound amazing. I loved the first set because the white pentagon was cool. However, I wished that there were more sets or that they had more of a variation. Also, at they end, the gravel patch was a good touch to make the set more interesting.
8th Grade
Charles F. Patton Middle School
The opera, Don Carlo, was a truly fantastic opera. It was my first opera ever and it really opened my eyes to the world of opera. One thing that I didn't like was the size of the font of the words that showed above the actors and actresses. It was hard to see it from where I sat in the second floor balcony and caused me to squint through most of the show. Also, I would have wished that there could have been more set changes because after a while, the set lost its effect because it was used for so many scenes. Other than that, I thought that the voices of the singers especially Elisabeth and Don Carlo were absolutely magnificent! She sounded like a bell when she hit the high notes and overall, helped to bring me deeper into the plot.Thank you for this experience.
8th Grade
Charles F. Patton Middle School
I enjoyed Don Carlo very much. Entering at first, I wasn't sure how much I was going to like it, but it was very entertaining. I loved the sets used. I thought that they looked amazing and I liked the use of the cage thing that were lowered onto the stage at certain times. The use of the lights in different colors and tones also added to the set very much. The orchestra was amazing. I think that the orchestra music was my favorite part of the opera. I really enjoyed watching Don Carlo.
grade:5th
school:william cramp elemenaty
i really liked how it confuses people how the stage was tilted.also some other things i liked about the opera is when there was a break and when we got back from the break there was sand but we never heard anything.it was so lovely when radrigo died for his dear friend don corlo.
8th grade
Patton middle school
I thought the opera was good. the way they used the sets and how they used many props to display different settings as well as the lighting. all the characters personalities were portrayed well through the actors. You could really feel the drama in the scene. Over all the play was very good and the actors were very good
8th Grade
Patton Middle School
I really enjoyed watching Don Carlo. I have never seen an opera before this, and this was a great first opera. The stage was very good, and all the actors had awesome performances. Overall, it was a great play, and I definetly want to see more of their shows.
grade: 5th
school: william cramp elementary
i really enjoyed the apera.i loved the chendelier.i also loved when we had a break and we came back.when i saw the sand on the floor i was like how they do that without hearing noise.i was confused when the stage was cricked.but it was very cool
I want to say thank you for the show. I had so much fun .I wish I could do some of the things you guys and girls did. I have stage fright. Any way I had a good view. All of you were good. Good job.
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
Experiencing opera for the first time by seeing “Don Carlo” was incredible. I really liked the way that Rodrigo was such a good friend to Carlo that he sacrificed his life for him. One scene I liked in the story was when Eboli gave King Philip the jewel box and he found out that Elisabeth was in love with Don Carlo and she faints. It was dramatic. I loved how the set was designed with all sorts of shapes and angles and the lighting was extremely precise. My favorite character was probably Rodrigo because he saved Don Carlo and he wanted to save the people of Flanders.
10th
Chartertech Performing Arts High School
It was amazing ! I loved the costumes , the set ,and the music. The set with the rocks and dirt was really nice. I don't know how they did it but I found it cool. The singing was truely amazing. It was very organized and neat. Those high notes were perfect. I didn't hear any cracks in the voices. The harmonies were all beautiful , very soft and smooth like angles. There was a lot of emotion in their actions and their singing. When Elisabeth was singing to the king about how he had found out she loved his son when he saw the picture of his son in her jewelry box , you could hear the emotion of her being afraid at the fact that she found out in her voice and actions. Everyone did amazing , with acting while singing and staying in tune. Everyone looked wonderful in their costumes! The show was Great !
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
When watching the opera, I looked at it in a theatrical arts perspective. I liked the simple design of the costumes because they matched the time period that this opera was supposed to be set in. Also, I liked that the costumes would group people together by color and style which made it easier for me, a member of the audience, to identify people. Secondly, I thought that the volume of the singing produced by the performers was impressive. The training of the diaphragm and other muscles needed to sing that loud for three hours must be intense. Although the opera seemed endless to me and is not preferred art form, I do respect the art and I see that some people might enjoy it.
During the opera Don Carlo, the art that stood out to me was the musical arts. Both singers and the orchestra played a big part in the opera. The singers used different pitches depending on the mood of the character. When Don Carlo was sad he used a lower pitch, and when he was angry his pitch became strong and high. Each character has different personalities which cause each performer to sing at different tempos and at different pitches. The Grand Inquisitor’s voice was low and evil sounding and was sung at a very slow tempo, which fit his personalities. The orchestra also played a big part as well. The orchestra matched the mood of the scene. If Don Carlo was unhappy, the orchestra played lower notes and at a slower tempo. They also matched the tempo of the singer as well. When Philip was singing the tempo stayed steady. When there was something exciting going on during the opera, the orchestra played faster and louder. These two factors, the singers and the orchestra, made the opera entertaining to watch.
6th Grade
BCMS
The opera was very interesting, but while I watched it I really focused on the set, and the drawings included in the set. The drawings on the set were Artistic and historical. All the opera singers did a great job, congrats
6 Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
After seeing Verdi’s Don Carlo and focusing specifically on visual arts of the production, I feel like the color, the set, and the costumes made this performance one of a kind. The set was beautiful. It was a slanted cube with a screen in the back where Don Carlo was first seen, it also had two gates that came down from the ceiling along with a door in the bottom. It was a perfect area for all the characters to perform the libretto. The color on the back screen set a mood in the opening scene along with the final one. The costumes were magnificent. My personal favorite costume was the Grand Inquisitors’. Worn by Morris Robinson, the red-hooded robe costume was powerful when he sang with his bass voice. Even when he walked on stage and before he sang, the costume alone made him seem powerful. The performance overall was a great one, and I hope that I can see it again.
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
While watching the opera, I focused on the theater arts. My main focus was on the set, and I love how they made it on an angle. It fit in with the confusion in the show because, when people see unbalanced sets that are not symmetrical, we tend to feel like, “Ooooh, that’s not right, something is wrong.” A negative about the set for me was the garden. I felt that maybe the designers could have brought in some actual garden elements and not make it so barren. For the prison scene, I thought that the designers did it perfectly. The bars that came down from the top of the stage were amazing and they fit in with the mood. All in all, the set was adequate, just a few minor tweaks and it could be amazing.
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
In this review of Don Carlo, I am mainly focusing on the visual arts, specifically the set, costumes, and lighting. I found the set to be dreary, as it should be, because the opera was mostly about betrayal, depression, and forbidden love. Whenever there was a bit of happiness or hope, the lighting would get a bit brighter, and the sky background would be a bit lighter. I think that there could’ve been a bit more props, there were only chairs and the background, along with some gates, and for a story this unique and exciting, I think there could have been more to the set. The costumes were fabulous, though! I loved all of the dresses, they looked so real. The men’s costumes were a bit confusing, because they were mostly the same, and from my spot in the audience, I had to use the sound of their voices to tell them apart. All in all, I think the setting and the costumes were amazing, and I really loved the opera.
11th grade
Charter-tech
When we went to see Don Carlo, I wasn' t too excited mainly because I did not like the story. However when I saw the theater, the set and the cast I was pleasantly surprised, Eric Owens I had seen play porgy in November all the way in Chicago and loved his performance. I was not aware that he was playing Phillip until our bus was outside the opera hall. The music was fantastic Andi liked it almost as much as Porgy and Bess's music and that is among my favoritres. The costume design was different from what I expected but I did enjoy how audacious all of the main characters looked. In all I enjoyed the show much more than I thought I would.
Charter Tech High School
Grade 11
I normally do not like many operas, but Don Carlo I liked a lot. It also could have been the way the actors performed. It was a very intriguing performance I believe. The orchestra did a great job at making the scenes and transitions flow very smoothly. The actors did a spectacular job, especially considering this was their first time doing this opera. It was very entertaining and I could feel the emotion, and the singing was amazing. I also enjoyed the respect and maturity from the audience. The last time i went to an opera the kids were disrespectul and being obnoxious. These groups of kids were respectful and did not make any noise throughout the performance. Everyone was very professional. The people at the opera were polite to guide us to our seats. The only annoyance during the opera was the timing of everyone's applause.
7th grade
Arevalo Academy
The opera was really fancy. I liked the different sets but when Don Carlo was in jail I wish the gate would have gone down all the way because it did not look right how it just stopped in the middle. I also think that you should have told us that the ghost was King Charles V because I would not have guessed. And when Don Carlo hugged the ghost I wish there was some way you could have told us that he died. My favorite character was Princess Eboli because in a really stressed kingdom she was so relaxed and easy going. I think the costumes were great! I loved all the ladies of the courts' dresses and the queen's especially!!
Grade 5
Arevalo Academy
What I liked about the opera was how the words were on the screen. What I didn't like was how the singers went sooooo high and it really burst my eardrums. On some scenes I found all the noise very obnoxious and unneeded. I did like all the "communication." I had a few favorite characters: Don Carlo, Elizabeta, Eboli, and the Inquisitor. I liked Don Carlo because he hid his emotions for fear of the King; Elizabeta because she loved one man but was married to his father; Eboli because she's gorgeous(!!), I love her "story" and dress; and the Inquisitor because he's intimidating and scary. I have to say Eboli was my favorite singer/character. My favorite set was the one with the sand, the one after the Intermission. I think that Eboli's dress was simply AWESOME!!! I love the style and the color very much.
Grade 3
Arevalo Academy
I liked that they fought with swords at the end. What I liked was that they sang it in Italian and there were super titles. I could see everything from the balcony. I really like the Grand Inquisitor's overcoat. This was my first opera and I liked it very much.
11th Grade
Charter Tech High School for the Performing Arts
The Opera was great and I enjoyed watching the performance. The show was interesting. There was never a dull moment. My favorite character was Rodrigo. His loyalty and dedication as a friend makes him likeable. I liked him because he was a great friend to Don Carlo and tried to make all the wrongs right. The stage looked like it was on a tilt which was cool because it added diversity. It also made me think about how people were able to stand on the stage and keep their balance. The set looked almost Gothic, but darkness influenced. The costumes looked amazing. The costumes also added more individuality to the performers. The orchestra did a wonderful job. The music they played helped convey the expression of the dramatic scenes. I am glad I got the opportunity to experience the opera.
Grade 11
Charter Tech High School
I had an amazing time at the opera. Something I really liked about it were the opening acts. The way they set the stage up was mind blowing. I did not expect it to be that cool at all and I was a little confused on how the stage was angled. I was afraid they were going to fall. It is something I have never seen before. My favorite characters are Carlo, Rodrigo, King Phillip, The Grand Inquisitor, and Elizabeth. They all had such an important role in the opera. Their voices were beyond great and I love how everyone worked together to make it sound good and blend well. They all did an amazing job and I thank them all for putting on such a great show.
Grade: 7
School: Lawrence Middle School
I think all the actors were great. Our school sat in one of the higher seats and we can hear you very well. Also the instrumental players played were really good, the songs match the singing. From the great performance I can tell that everyone in the cast or orchestra worked really hard and that they are extremely talented. Thank you for inviting us to be a part of this amazing experience.
Grade: 7
School:PEPPER Homeschoolers
I thought that Don Carlo was good. The voices were very good, very intense, but that is what I expected (it being Verdi and all...). I thought that there could have been a little more variety in the set, maybe n the garden scenes. But I thought the one set that they did have was very cool. I liked how they lit the "windows" on the ground, how they were angled at one point. It gave the feeling of something being off, which reflected the whole story, along with the entire stage being slanted (which made me wonder how they did that the whole time). And even though Princess Eboli was not feeling well, she still gave the same strong message in her acting. The Grand Inquisitor scared me but in a good way. He was a VERY strong actor and really took over the whole stage in his scenes. I think it could have done with a bit more color, my eyes felt a little strained in some parts, in the costumes and the set. But I know that that was the kind of sorrowful vibe that they were going for, and I think they got it. Don Carlo was a very good actor and singer. Rodrigo and Don Carlo's duet in the first act was done very well. (Tebaldo was one of my favorites in the veil song.)
So all in all I thought Don Carlo was Verdi good (hehe)!
When I went to Don Carlo on Wednesday I was amazed at how choreographed and how elaborate everything was. I never really liked opera but I still think that Don Carlo was a new experience for me and I enjoyed it. The elements I was focusing on during the opera were Dance and Movement and Theater Arts. In Dance and Movement, I noticed that, on stage when there was the scene with all the ladies and Princess Eboli, they were all walking in a line and no lady was bumping into another. That was a good use of space and choreography because the ladies needed space so they didn’t walk on each other’s toes. It was choreography because they walked in lines looking orderly. What popped out for me in Theatrical Arts was the costumes and set design. For the costumes I noticed that they looked realistic and the costume designers must have put a lot of effort into creating them. The props were amazing. I like how they were all tilted to the side on an angle.
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
I absolutely loved the opera! One of the elements that I focused on was visual arts. The set used different lighting and color to change the mood of the scene. I also noticed that the set had a slight tilt to it. The bottom of the stage was a diagonal line. This created a breathtaking effect, and a slightly overwhelming shape. The back of the stage was an octagon that changed into different colors and shades as the story went on. This also contributed to the massiveness and the awe- inspiring visual outcome. The way that the costumes were designed really brought you back to the 1500s. The hairstyles also contributed to the 16th century appeal. The elaborate textures and shapes that the hairstylists used, created a fun, olden time look. The way that they used light and colors, and also the spacing of the characters, to create the feeling of Don Carlo ascending to heaven, was really amazing. I love the way that Charles the 5th was at the top of the light path. This revealed to me that he was in fact going to heaven. This make me wonder if the stage was tilted to the left in order to have “heaven” more towards the top of the stage, as Don carlo walked up to stage right. I also loved the musical aspect of the opera. The singers all had amazing voices, and I respect the amount of practice they must have put into this opera in order to pull it off. The way that the singers held the notes for so long was truly incredible. My favorite musical moment of the opera was when Eboli was in the garden with all of the ladies, and they were singing. The song that they sang was absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much, Opera Philadelphia, for this wonderful experience!
School: Bala Cynwyd Middle School
Grade: 6th
During the Opera, I focused on the visual arts: the colors, lines, shape, movement, texture space, all of the visual art elements. The color was fantastic. During the scene when the ladies were waiting for the queen to come out, the colors of the dresses all together were very vibrant. The shapes of the stage were confusing, but in a good way. The texture of the ashes from the pyre were very textured and detailed. The only thing I would suggest is to put things on the gates so that, when they come down, you don’t only see the fence, you would see artwork. The opera was very interesting, but without the booklet, I would have been lost. Thank you so much for the opportunity to go to the opera for free.
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
I absolutely loved the opera! One of the elements that I focused on was visual arts. The set used different lighting and color to change the mood of the scene. I also noticed that the set had a slight tilt to it. The bottom of the stage was a diagonal line. This created a breathtaking effect, and a slightly overwhelming shape. The back of the stage was an octagon that changed into different colors and shades as the story went on. This also contributed to the massiveness and the awe- inspiring visual outcome. The way that the costumes were designed really brought you back to the 1500s. The hairstyles also contributed to the 16th century appeal. The elaborate textures and shapes that the hairstylists used, created a fun, olden time look. The way that they used light and colors, and also the spacing of the characters, to create the feeling of Don Carlo ascending to heaven, was really amazing. I love the way that Charles the 5th was at the top of the light path. This revealed to me that he was in fact going to heaven. This make me wonder if the stage was tilted to the left in order to have “heaven” more towards the top of the stage, as Don carlo walked up to stage right. I also loved the musical aspect of the opera. The singers all had amazing voices, and I respect the amount of practice they must have put into this opera in order to pull it off. The way that the singers held the notes for so long was truly incredible. My favorite musical moment of the opera was when Eboli was in the garden with all of the ladies, and they were singing. The song that they sang was absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much, Opera Philadelphia, for this wonderful experience!
Grade: 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
The Don Carlo opera at the Academy of Music was very exciting and thrilling! I looked at the musical perspective of the piece and considered the musical elements. I thought Michelle Deyoung, especially, had a very good range of her voice. All of the performers had great pitch! I think that every single person in this opera has a great talent for singing. Also, I don’t just think this opera was only musically sound; the set design was great! This opera, Don Carlo, was fantastic!
6th grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
I had the pleasure of watching the opera “Don Carlo”. I looked at this opera through a visual perspective. I looked at the costumes, the set design, and the props. The costumes were amazing. They really showed the characters mood, background and lifestyle. The set designs was very interesting. The color influenced the mood. I would love to go to another opera.
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
The visual arts displayed throughout the performance of the opera, Don Carlo, was, overall, very entertaining. The unique way the set was constructed, with a dramatically slanted stage floor, caught my attention immediately. I thought it was very interesting how, after the intermission, half of the stage was covered in dirt and hay to represent the jail floor. I also found the gate-like structures that separated the royals from the townspeople and the guards from Don Carlo fascinating. The space on stage was used in dramatic ways. Though, I am not an opera fan, I am very glad I got to view this act of fine art.
Grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
What most stood out to me in the Don Carlo performance were the theater arts. All the costumes they used had something to do with the character, and what was going on. I found it interesting that the actors and actresses were able to always stay in character. They showed the right facial expressions. I thought the set was magnificent because it was able to be used for different scenes by just adding one or two extra props. Overall the Opera was beautiful to listen to and see.
Grade: 6
School: Bala Cynwyd Middle School
Although I do not generally consider myself an opera fan, I very much enjoyed the costume design and music of the Opera Philadelphia’s performance of Verdi’s Don Carlo. The orchestral music really stood out to me as exceptional, mainly because it was perfectly crafted to support the mood of the scene at the time it was played. This was an extremely important element to a non-Italian audience as it is sometimes hard to tell what emotion is being conveyed in a foreign language. The translation screen only conveys the written word, it cannot convey emotional voice tones, and it is hard to read facial expressions outside of the first ten rows.
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle school
During the opera of Don Carlo, I paid attention to the theater arts. The lighting affected the mood of the play. An example of this is during the auto-de-fe. The lights were red to show that something bad was happening. The set, specifically the backdrop and bars, also explained what was happening. After the intermission, ash was added to the set since the auto-de-fe happened. The lighting and set were very helpful to the audience. Over all, watching the opera was a great experience.
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
For the opera Don Carlo, the visual arts were amazing. The set design was flawless. But there was one thing I didn’t understand - why the stage was tilted? I was kind of confused by that. The screen in the back was cool in how it changed colors. The balance of colors was right on point because the hues made the setting seem realistic to the time period. The lighting was very useful because it helped make some scenes more dramatic. This was the first time I had seen an opera and I wasn’t sure what to expect. It was a wonderful experience and I hope to see an opera again.
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
While watching the opera, “Don Carlo,” I mainly focused on the visual arts. At different times, there were different uses of space. Sometimes there was a really wide space in which the actor performed off to the side of stage, as in the scene with King Philip. Other times there was a very compacted space, as when Eboli was singing with the ladies in the garden. One thing that really stood out to me were all the different colors. There were both warm and cool colors on the costumes and the set, which brought out different moods. There were also both straight and curved lines. An example of straight lines were the buildings on the side of the stage, which makes the actors seem more small. An example of a curved line was the circle in the background, which made scene seem softer. There were a couple different textures as well, rough and smooth. There was a rough texture on the actors costumes, but there was smooth texture on the buildings in the background. In conclusion I thought the opera was a great learning experience and good entertainment as well.
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
While attending Don Carlo on Wednesday at the Academy of Music, I have to say I was surprised and impressed. The opera was fantastic! As I forgot to bring my glasses, I was more focused on the singing, which was beautiful. I have renewed respect for all actors and actresses who perform in operas. I couldn’t believe how much power all the performers had in of their voices or how they managed to hit notes almost effortlessly. My favorite parts were the duets, especially the one between Don Carlo and Rodrigo. The emotion, along with the timing and harmony between the two was something I’m glad I had a chance to witness.
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
After focusing on the visual arts of the opera Don Carlo, I came away with this: My first impression of the opera was the slanted stage, and the absolutely gorgeous setting. I loved that the performance started off with slow, almost unnoticeable movements, and then they gradually became faster and wider. Over the course of the opera, I was blown away at the setting change, and how they used little hints such as lowering a gate or two, adding ash, removing part of the background, and yet keeping the same surroundings. Also, I enjoyed how costumes determined the actions of the characters. For example, Eboli comes out on stage wearing the white dress, and from that we can assume she’s been with the king. All and all, the opera was fantastic, and I’d love to see another one in the future.
Grade: 6
School: Bala Cynwyd Middle School
In the opera, Don Carlo, the theatrical arts stood out most to me. I thought that the set was very interesting; you used the same stage area for the acts. I was surprised that there were very few extra set changes in acoss all four acts. Using a more simple set design forced the audience to pay more attention to the characters and their acting. I thought that the acting done by everyone performing in the opera was amazing and beautiful, and it was evident to everyone watching how much practice and effort went into the performance. Finally, the sound was so spectacular! I still can’t believe that you don’t use any microphones and manage to reach the volume that you do. I’m glad that the first opera that I watched was Don Carlo, at the Academy of Music.
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
When I visited Giuseppe Verdi’s Don Carlo, I focused on the musical arts (singing). It was amazing how much the actors could project their voices with the lack of microphones. Everyone had a different tone that added to the dynamics. I enjoyed it when Leah Crocetto sang a high note, and held it out for a long time. Every time Michelle DeYoung sang her part she had a sort of tremolo and that added fun to it. I thought about how long it must take the actors/actresses to learn and memorize all their parts. Although it was in a different language, I thought it was really phenomenal.
Grade: 6
School: Bala Cynwyd Middle School
Out of all the parts of opera, the orchestra stood out to me the most in Don Carlo. The orchestra was fast loud and loud in scenes of drama, and soft when there was a solo being sung by one of the performers, like King Philip’s, letting the singers’ parts stand out. The orchestra conveyed the emotions in the opera very well, using dynamics, pitch, tempo, and the other musical elements to do that. Overall, Don Carlo was a fantastic opera to see.
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
Out of all the art forms in the opera Don Carlo, I chose the orchestral perspective for my focus. I feel that the music was well played and I congratulate the orchestra for such a great performance. The dynamics were especially good and the tone was perfect. My favorite part in the whole opera was when there was a cello solo. This is because I play the cello myself.
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
Out of all the art forms in the opera Don Carlo, I chose the orchestral perspective for my focus. I feel that the music was well played and I congratulate the orchestra for such a great performance. The dynamics were especially good and the tone was perfect. My favorite part in the whole opera was when there was a cello solo. This is because I play the cello myself.
Charter Tech
10th
The more information that was given to the school about this amazing opera, the more fascinating it became to me. During the opera, all I could see was the amazing stage, how passionate every actor were during there performance. All I could think about was how much adrenaline has to be running through the people. Being in the audience, showed me and taught me lots and for seeing, "Don Carlos," gives me a definite eye opener of how close everyone is to becoming so big in the music world.
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
6th Grade
Although I’m not a fan of Opera, I really enjoyed this one. The part I most enjoyed was the harmonies of the singers. Mostly the sopranos. There was always a surprise. Sometimes it would just be a constant note, almost like making you wait in suspense. I also really enjoyed the harmonies because they always seemed to fit the plot perfectly. The sopranos’ voices were amazing.
My personal favorite part of the opera “Don Carlo” at the Philadelphia Hall of Music was the visual art involved. I was very interested in the set design and the costumes. The costume and set designers did a wonderful job with making everything fit the right time period and place. I truly felt like I was in Spain in the mid-sixteenth century. The women all wore similar style floor length gowns, but no two were exactly alike. Each one had different colors than another, or more ruffles, and some were large and poofy, while others were slim and light. And the costumes also reflected mood and status. Elizabeth was in despair, missing Carlo, so she wore a dark gray dress, to represent her misery. The Grand Inquisitor wore robes, and was dressed finer than the king, to represent that he is at an even higher status than him. And the set was very detailed. I loved what they did with the octagon. There was a large octagon in the very back of the stage. They changed the lighting colors in it to reflect the mood, and in the second half, they put a large painting of sky in it. It was very creative. I would have never been able to come with something like that, and I applaud the person who did. Finally, though visual arts was my favorite part, the actors and actresses all had very beautiful and strong voices. I was amazed by how far they could project (without microphones!) and how long they could hold their notes. I was especially impressed by the actor and actress that played the Grand Inquisitor and Elizabeth.
6th
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
During the opera I focused on theater arts. The set, because the cupola didn’t change with the emotions of different scenes, did not create the mood. But the emotion of the singers’ voices and their facial expressions, as well as the beautiful sounding pit orchestra, made the mood and emotion of the story. The costumes fit the characters and the time period, and the performers did not need to change much because they fit so well with each character.
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
6th Grade
Although I’m not a fan of Opera, I really enjoyed this one. The part I most enjoyed was the harmonies of the singers. Mostly the sopranos. There was always a surprise. Sometimes it would just be a constant note, almost like making you wait in suspense. I also really enjoyed the harmonies because they always seemed to fit the plot perfectly. The sopranos’ voices were amazing.
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
I enjoyed the set design very much. The way that the set was tilted made me think about what the tilting might represent. I feel as though the set could be showing how kind of twisted and messed up the character’s worlds were. The way that none of the characters communicated their problems to one another and try to fix the situation together, and all just made it worse was shown in the offset design. The cage like walls that came down also were interesting because they prompted me to imagine what the location might look like. They showed to me that the characters all were trapped in their problems and in situations where it sometimes seem like there was no way out as well. The set was very imaginative and displayed the feelings of the characters adequately.
6th grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
While I was viewing the opera Don Carlo, I noticed that they used musical art elements. Their dynamics was very loud so people in the audience could hear them. They had a lot of good vibrations in their voice. They harmonized beautifully and they harmonized at the right parts of the songs. I enjoyed the opera and I learned that the opera is really different from other musical shows!
Grade: 7th grade
School: Lawrence Middle School
I really enjoyed the opera! It was a great experience for me. The actors and actresses were very talented and I could really get a feel for what was happening even though it was in a different language. Overall, it was a great experience and I'm glad that I was able to see it.
6th grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
The opera Don Carlo was excellent, using extraordinary visuals aided by extravagant music and voices to bring the opera to life. The set design was detailed using simplistic backgrounds, not cluttering the stage with props but using just enough to keep the opera interesting. The music was spot-on, enhancing the opera in almost every way. Though the actors were, by far, the best part of the opera, and their voices were honestly amazing. I couldn't imagine a better opera.
6th grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
In the opera Don Carlo by Giuseppe Verdi, the lighting played an enormous role. In most operas the lighting can really affect what’s going on in that scene, and it can sometimes tell the audience how a particular character is feeling. For example, if the stage is dark and unchanging that may mean a character is suffering some kind of loss. In Don Carlo, this happened several times, one prominent example of when it happened in Don Carlo is when King Philip II finds out that Elisabeth de Valois is actually in love with his son, Don Carlo. Also, when the lighting is more light and changing, it means that most of the characters on the stage are happy and cheerful and they are enjoying themselves. The main instance, in the opera Don Carlo, of this is when Eboli and Tebaldo sing a duet with all the other ladies of the court, during this scene the lighting is brighter and everybody is enjoying themselves. Obviously, in Don Carlo the lighting really affected the outcome of the opera.
6th grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
Throughout the performance, our teachers asked to find an element of the opera and focus on it. I decided to focus on the visuals, the acting, the set, and costumes. This seemed to be a good choice, as the many actions of the performers showed sadness, anger, and other emotions throughout the play. The background and set showed the different places and emotions very well, and the changes in background and lighting also showed the mood. Overall, I enjoyed the opera very much and had a great time.
6th grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
In the opera, Don Carlo, I noticed a different style of movement in the actors, even though there was no dancing. Although the actors didn’t move too much, they still got the story across. I could understand everything they were doing. Their acting was very dramatic and fit the story perfectly. The actors all knew their parts well and I saw no stumbling or missing entrance cues, even though it was a rehearsal. Everyone also knew where to position themselves so they weren't hit by the descending gates. I enjoyed Don Carlo and I would recommend it to all opera lovers.
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
It was very interesting to learn about opera and Don Carlo. I have never been to an opera before and the costumes, voices, and pitches amazed me. The set itself was also extraordinary. The fact that the color can be changed easily to set the mood and the storyline really made me feel like part of the opera. Although there wasn’t much movement going on, the actor’s voices and acting abilities were astounding, especially when they did the vibrato with the voices. It was very intimidating when the tempo got faster and it was very romantic when the tempo became slow and peaceful. The Don Carlo experience was interesting to learn about and I hoped everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did.
6th grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
It was very interesting to learn about opera and Don Carlo. I have never been to an opera before and the costumes, voices, and pitches amazed me. The set itself was also extraordinary. The fact that the color can be changed easily to set the mood and the storyline really made me feel like part of the opera. Although there wasn’t much movement going on, the actor’s voices and acting abilities were astounding, especially when they did the vibrato with the voices. It was very intimidating when the tempo got faster and it was very romantic when the tempo became slow and peaceful. The Don Carlo experience was interesting to learn about and I hoped everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did.
7th grade
Lingelbach Elementary
The scenes in the opera were okay,they weren't bad. One of my favorite scenes was towards the middle when the clouds appeared. I wasn't real interested in the scenery in Act 1. My first opera, Don Giovanni, was more exciting. However, since we studied the workbook, I understood Don Carlo.
7th grade
Lingelbach
The Don Carlo opera was a wonderful performance. I think everyone played their parts well. My favorite artist was the Grand Inquisitor. He took control and stood up to the King. I understood this role because Mr. Robinson visited Lingelbach and explained his role and how he interacted with the other performers. I think the lesson from the opera was don't fall in love with your son's wife.
7th grade
Lingelbach
My favorite character in the opera was the Grand Inquisitor. He was like a god alive on Earth because he really controlled the King Phillip, making him his puppet. The plot in Don Carlo was twisted, full of drama, mystery and comedy.
7th grade
Lingelbach
Don Carlo was my second opera and it was pretty good. I loved the setting. The performances and arias were wonderful. The ending of opera was surprising to me because I thought Don Carlo was supposed to kill himself.
7th grade
Lingelbach
I think the opera needed more action, but I did enjoy it. My favorite character was The Grand Inquisitor because he was powerful and creepy. Mr. Robinson has an excellent voice. My favorite part was in Act IV when Don Carlo saw his grandfather, Charles V, touched him and became immortal (I think).
7th grade
Lingelbach
I think the opera was not very engaging, although I really enjoyed it. The stage(scenery) was beautiful, almost like an optical illusion. The best parts of the opera were the lighting, staging, and costumes. I would rate it a 4 out of 5.
7th grade
Lingelbach
In my opinion, I had neutral feelings about Don Carlo. This is because it didn't show a lot of excitement/action when the opera needed it. I did like the casting of the performers. Next time I see an opera, I hope it will be more engaging. I'd like to thank Opera Philadelphia for the experience.
Lingelbach
The scenery was unique. My favorite performers were Carlo and Rodrigo. I loved how they were BFFs no matter how difficult the situation. The orchestra was fantastic. Although the beginning was slow, I would recommend this opera to my family and friends.
Lingelbach
The best part of Don Carlo was when Rodrigo got shot. Until that part of the opera, I was a little bored but with the music and singing in that Act, it began to get interesting. My favorite person was the Grand Inquisitor. His voice was rich and deep. What a performance! The opera could have more action but overall it was great.
Lingelbach
What I loved about the opera was Act III when Eboli was scorned by Don Carlo, resulting in his best friend, Rodrigo, dying. The final Act was somewhat disappointing. I expected more drama with Don Carlo and Charles V but still the opera was great. The settings and performers were fantastic and of course, The Academy of Music is beautiful.
Lingelbach
Don Carlo seemed like a romance drama to me. My favorite part was when the Grand Inquisitor came to the stage and started to command everything. My favorite character was Elizabeth because she had a beautiful voice and she handled her love for Don Carlo with grace.
Lingelbach
Optical illusions, frantic acting, music that evoke emotions, Don Carlo was beyond amazing. My favorite was Act III. The diversity of the cast was refreshing. One of the lead roles was played by an African American; mind blowing!
Although the pace in the first half of the opera was slower than I liked, the experience was great.
7th grade
Lingelbach
This opera was a little more complicated to understand because of the characters' background. Also, it didn't have enough action like Don Giovanni. But I still enjoyed the opera. My favorite character was Rodrigo. The reason why I picked him as my favorite character is because he was a good hearted man and cared deeply about Don Carlo and others. He even sacrificed himself for Don Carlo. My least favorite character is The Grand Inquisitor because he always tried to control the king. Also because he is scary. My favorite part is the part when Rodrigo died.
7th grade
Lingelbach
The opera about Don Carlo was a great experience to me because it introduced me to France's history and the Spanish Inquistion. The great part of the opera was when Philip called the Grand Inquisitor to exile Don Carlo. The reason why is because the Grand Inquistior " Morris Robinson " came to our school and explained his hard work, effort and dedication to his craft. Not just because he came to the school, but he is the most outstanding peformer.That is my opinion about Don Carlo.
Lingelbach
The overall performance was outstanding. There were visuals and great musical compositions. I'd have to say that Queen Elizabeth was my favorite character. She had a empowering aura demonstrated through her singing and stage presence. All of performances were well done.
Lingelbach
I honestly do not know what to say about this opera. Due to my past opera experience, you should not let this be your first opera. I say this because I feel your initial opera should have interesting props, lively music and action. For example, I saw "Don Giovanni." That opera had enough action to make me want to see a repeat performance. If Don Carlo had been my first opera, I probably would not have been interested in seeing another opera. Since I know all operas are not the same, I would still recommend everyone have the experience of enjoying an opera.
7th
Homeschooled
I liked the costumes, choreography, and the bars that could go up and down. I don't think I really had a favorite character; all the actors played their characters very nicely.
grade 6
Bala Cynwyd Middle School
La Traviata is about a courtesan named Violetta who loves Alfredo Germont. Alfredo’s father does not approve of Violetta because she is a courtesan. Violetta has Tuberculosis or TB which is a disease that pollutes your lungs, so you end up coughing out blood, then TB usually it takes a turn to the worst by killing you. Nowadays, there are vaccines for it, but back in the nineteen fifties, there was no vaccines for it. The only option was death.
The musical voices that the musicians have were amazing, Violetta can sing so high that glass would shatter. A duet that added to the conflict was with Giorgio, and Violetta, were Giorgio decides that he does not want Violetta going out with Alfredo because Violetta was a courtesan. Another scene that led to some conflict was when Alfredo threw money at Violetta because he sang that he was just using her as a courtesan, and that he didn’t pay her. Even though he loves her.
On set, everything was baroque, or exaggerated. There were tons of chandeliers to show how rich Violetta was. Alfredo’s house was smaller, and less fancy, but it was still fancy nonetheless. This is to show that Alfredo is not as wealthy as other people such as the baron. There were stairs during the first scene to show elevation. During the show, they changed the set for every scene change. The set was so detailed that you could see the blood on violettas pillow as she passes away.
This opera takes place in the nineteen fifties in Paris, France. Which was a conservative time period. In this time period, women we treated like property, not human beings. Violetta knew that if she loved Alfredo, she would have to give up her job and her lifestyle.
This performance was very good although there was some fumbles along the way. For example, Violetta threw a wine glass into the air for someone else to catch, but the character missed it and the glass fell to the ground. That revealed that the glass was plastic. This made me wonder if there was any glass in the entire show. The singing was legendary, and it displayed an enormous amount of culture from conservative time periods like this one. I learned a lot from the opera, and I can’t wait to see another one.
Grade 11
Charter Tech High School for the Performing arts
I really enjoyed this opera. I had a really nice time there and enjoyed a very outstanding performance.
6th Grade
Harris
I had a great experience at the opera. The singing and sets were wonderful and really helped to set the mood. Violetta was my favorite character, of course. Her singing was extraordinary and her acting was believable. The stage was so bright and vibrant. I was also very pleased at how fluidly the dress rehearsal went because I thought there might be some pauses in delivery. I was pleasantly surprise. This is why my experience was such a good on!
5th Grade
Harris
I loved the opera! The part I loved the most was when Violetta begged Mr. Germont to let her stay with Alfredo. There was drama, sadness, and fear. I also liked the part when Violetta first met Alfredo. She looked so happy, yet scared. Alfredo looked as happy as I could imagine one could possibly be. The one thing I did not like was when Violetta died because I wanted to see Violetta and Alfredo have such a wonderful life together.
Overall, Violetta has to be my favorite character because she is strong, kind-hearted and has a warm personality, yet, she is scared wound up and sad - all at the same time. Alfredo is a close second because he pursued Violetta until she loved him - which she finally did. If it wasn't for Alfredo's undying love for Violetta, she would not have learned to love. The story was simply beautiful.
4th Grade
Harris
I was a little nervous as this was my first time attending an opera. To my surprise, I liked it and found it to be fun and cool! Although I knew the story in advance, it was interesting to see it happen on stage. My favorite character was probably Alfredo because he was a good person and he cared so much for Violetta. I liked how he protected her. The sets and costumes were so realistic. I even noticed how Alfredo's house had shadows outside of it. It was so cool. I liked the costumes. They were very fancy and they looked like that's what rich people would wear at parties. What a great experience for my first time! I can't wait to go again. Thank you so much!