Students in the Opera Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw Rossini's The Barber of Seville at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia on September 24th, 2014.
True love's groom.
Rossini’s rapid-fire romp kicks off with a famous overture and veers into a hilarious series of disguises, trickery and tomfoolery. Determined to win the heart of the beautiful, strong-willed Rosina(mezzo Jennifer Holloway, in her role and company debuts) with charm and wit— rather than nobility and wealth—Count Almaviva(tenor Taylor Stayton) enlists the help of the wily Figaro (baritoneJonathan Beyer) to steal her away from the lecherous Dr. Bartolo(bass Kevin Burdette). This 17th-century love story gets a rousing facelift complete with vibrant Spanish staging and a catalog of hits from the famous “Figaro! Figaro! Figaro!” of “Largo al factotum” toRosina’s equally spectacular “Una voce poco fa.”
Participating students are encouraged to share their thoughts on the opera by posting their reviews here. All reviews, positive and negative, will be accepted, just make sure to include your:
- FIRST NAME
- GRADE
- SCHOOL
Tell us what you liked about the story, the sets, your favorite character, or your favorite scene, and more.
Don't forget to support your opinion in 50 words or more!
Thanks!

Comments
School: Academy of Notre Dame
Grade: 12
Initially skeptical of the amount of enjoyment that I would take away from an Opera, I was very pleasantly surprised and entertained by Opera Philadelphia’s performance of The Barber of Seville. While I thought that all of the actors and actresses performed incredibly and successfully engaged the young audience in attendance, Jonathan Beyer, who played the part of Figaro, left the greatest impression on me. My favorite scene involving Figaro was Figaro’s Aria. Jonathon Beyer sang with great enthusiasm and conveyed the sense of irony in the aria extremely well. I enjoyed the part of this scene when all of the townspeople seemed to be putting money into Figaro’s hat as he sang about his life of contentment and wealth. When all of the people left him alone, Figaro looked into his hat and to his confusion, it was empty. I thought his performance in this particular part of the scene was lively and funny. It was clear that Jonathon Beyer was in-tune with his character and was able to act with emotion and talent. Jonathon Byer was also a very believable actor. In the scene where Figaro tells Rosina that Almaviva, who is disguised as Lindoro, is his cousin it was not blatantly obvious that he was lying to her about Almaviva’s true identity, as one might expect. Jonathon Beyer did a fantastic job of conveying Figaro’s role in the production as a somewhat meddling, but well-intentioned man. My overall enjoyment of this Opera stemmed from the relatability of the characters and situations, ease of understanding the story line, and vibrant performances. Jonathon Beyer’s character contributed to this because he acted with emotion and was able to present Figaro in a multi-faceted manner. In complete honesty, I was expecting to be somewhat bored during the opera based on my previous opinions formed at the solemn, slow-moving opera that I saw prior to seeing The Barber of Seville. My presumptions were proven to be entirely wrong by the humor and energy exuded in Jonathon Beyer’s adaptation of Figaro’s character, which was a true source of excitement and entertainment.
The untouched stage is a mesmerizing collection of pieces inspired by the Seville April Fair, but it is not the festive tri-colored stage curtain nor the neon barber clippers of the Opera Philadelphia’s production of The Barber of Seville that caught my attention, but rather the simple portrait of a human eye. The symbol of the eye, adjacent to the barber clippers, acts as a fitting emblem of this opera’s production considering that eyes and the concept of sight are prevalent throughout the opera. The eyes and concept of sight are most notably seen with many disguises of Count Almaviva and Figaro’s bright blue robe, which has the adornment of eyes. As we have seen, Count Almaviva enlists the many disguises of Lindoro, the drunken solider, and the substitute music master, all in an attempt to not be recognized with the attention his name carries and to not be seen solely as a celebrity. Ironically, it is through these many disguises in which Rosina, Count Almaviva’s love interest, obtains the true vision of Count Almaviva, the man not the celebrity. With a different flare, Figaro has the embellishments of eyes on his robe, which seem to acknowledge his hold of extra sight, that is foresight, compared to the other players; this holds some merit for his ideas and interventions which appear to unfold positively and happen at the right moment for Count Almaviva. Namely, Figaro’s idea of the drunken solider routine and the implement of forestalling with an untimely, for Dr. Bartolo, shave both appear to have contributed and even lead to the union of Count Almaviva and Rosina. The symbol of the eye, incorporated into the emblem even before the start of the opera, is seen throughout the continuation of this production through different modes of manifestation of sight and vision, which ensemble into a distinguishing feature of this Opera Philadelphia’s reinvention of The Barber of Seville.
I thought that Opera Philadelphia’s production of The Barber of Seville was incredibly entertaining. One reason that I enjoyed it so much was that the costumes reflected a more modern age than the 19th century. During one scene in the opera, Lindoro was disguised as a hippie music teacher, and he kept repeating the phrase “peace and happiness”. This attire and attitude was not popularly known until the 1960s, and it added some extra humor to the opera that would not have been possible if Opera Philadelphia decided to keep to the time period this artistic piece was originally set in. Also, Figaro’s costume was my favorite in the entire production because it blended the modern and the old-fashioned, much like this adaptation as a whole did. The clothing items themselves seemed to be of the 19th century, with trousers, boots, and a coat typical of the time, but the design with the eye pattern really brought the outfit up to date and helped it to blend in with the other costumes. The modernization of this opera enhanced my enjoyment of The Barber of Seville because it was easier to relate to these characters if they were wearing clothes that are accepted in today’s world. It can be difficult to see people in clothes that were in style over a hundred years ago and immediately relate to their situations, but by simply putting them in costumes more fitting of the time, younger people can form connections to the people on stage easier and enjoy the opera even more.
Meghan
Academy of Notre Dame
Academy of Notre Dame
Grade 12
The Barber of Seville produced at the Philadelphia Opera house was a witty and brilliantly performed representation of Rossini’s traditional play. It was refreshing to see a play set in the 1800s brought back to life in such a contemporary manner. Not only were the costumes vibrant and the sets dynamic, but the cast was young and energetic from opening scene to closing curtain. The actors worked seamlessly with each other; their relationships were genuine and conceivable. Jennifer Holloway, acting the role of Rosina, made everyone in the audience's hearts beat for Count Almaviva. My eyes could not help but to follow Kevin Burdette, acting as Count Bartolo, whenever he appeared on stage. His presence was overwhelming and captivating, and he was able to transform the antagonist into a character who I found myself supporting. This performance was far from what is to be expected in an Opera, in all of the best ways possible.
Grade 12
Ridley High School
I absolutely loved the opera. The set was simplistic, yet it looked perfect. The costumes were nothing like I imagined, but that was a good thing. Each character's costume or costumes were stunning. I especially liked how Don Alonso almost looked like and reminded me of John Lennon. It fit his character, or rather the disguise, very well in my opinion.
However, my favorite character would have to be a tie between the old butler and Don Basilio. The butler's presence made everyone, including myself, laugh so hard the whole theater was filled with echoing sounds of hysterical laughter. Don Basilio on the other hand also made me laugh. His dance moves and obsession with a microphone were hilarious and brought a sense of humor to his otherwise serious character. Overall, the opera was fantastic! Thank you for allowing us to come!
12th grade
Ridley High School
My favorite part about this opera was that the modern take on the play allowed me and my peers to connect more with the characters and it added to the overall humor of the play which, for us, may not have been as clear with the old fashioned costumes of the original version. The set and the costumes added a lot of vibrancy to the storyline and the opera over all. I loved the singing too. My favorite character was Figaro, since he added a lot of humor and drama to the plot line, but Bartolo also left a great impression on me with his outrageous actions and dramatics that made the comedy part of the play really show throughout the opera and his singing was also amazing. Since I've never been to an opera it was fantastic to get to hear the voices at the Philadelphia Opera, they are all beautiful voices and I would love to see another opera in the future.
12th grade
Ridley High School
My experience at the Academy's production of the Barber of Seville was fantastic. The modern twist on this classic opera was unique and interesting. It's such a pleasure to listen to such beautiful music, complimented by a comical plot. The cast did a great job portraying the characters in a 1950s setting. The overall production was something that I am glad I could witness.
As soon as the lights dimmed in the Philadelphia Academy of Music and the vibrant set of Rossini’s The Barber of Seville came to life I was entirely captivated. The unique, artfully designed stage immediately captured my attention and contributed to the overall essence of the production. I noticed that the sheer amount of color present in everything from the costume to the backdrops resembled the festive Spanish flamenco dress. This is very fitting, since the opera takes place in 17th century Spain. I also noticed the prevalence of geometric patterns that almost suggested a type of art deco or even pop art influence for the set design. This was particularly noticeable in the striking backdrop of Dr. Bartolo’s home. The entire set of the production was considerably eye-catching and visually stimulating, which was especially appealing to a young student like myself due to the more modern representation. The so-called “face-lift” of the opera was successful in my opinion and definitely worked to appeal to a younger audience. I was thoroughly impressed by this production and I greatly praise set designer Shoko Kambara and costume designer Amanda Seymour for their artistic ingenuity.
Grade: 12
School: Academy of Notre Dame
I was intrigued by Opera Philadelphia’s production of The Barber of Seville. One particular aspect of the production that readily engaged me was the bold and contemporary staging. I found the “chicken theme” to be incredibly entertaining, and I was also fascinated by Figaro’s costumes. The appearance of chickens throughout the production was entertaining because it was not only hilarious; it was contemporary and memorable. It was the dancing chickens in Dr. Bartolo’s nightmare, and the bold painting of a chicken in “La Casa” that grabbed my attention while watching the production. Equally engaging were the costumes of Figaro. I was particularly intrigued by the modern blue jacket with bold black eyes; one could say it was quite “eye-catching”. Such a unique costume sparked my curiosity. It is due is to these modernly bold aspects of the staging, the recurrence of chickens and the costumes of Figaro, that I was absorbed by The Barber of Seville and enjoyed it at such a great level.
Academy of Notre Dame
Grade 12
The Barber of Seville was an opera I definitely enjoyed due to its modern spin, humor, grand stage setting, costumes, and characters. More specifically, I believe that Taylor Stayton did an excellent job playing the part as Count Almaviva. Count Almaviva’s character entails numerous disguises such as Lindoro, the drunken solider, and the piano teacher don Alonso. Each of these characters entails completely different attitudes and personalities, yet Taylor pulled them all off perfectly. Whether it be the hilarious hippie character he had to take on to be the piano teacher (my personal favorite), or the poor boy Lindoro, Mr. Stayton really convinced the audience through each disguise that he was in love with Rosina and would do anything no matter what to get her away from Doctor Bartolo and marry her. It truly showed Taylor’s determination and how hard he and his character worked throughout the whole opera, as Rosina and the Count successfully did get married and the whole cast got together in a beautiful last scene. All the actors and actresses and the Philadelphia Opera Company really did an excellent job with the The Barber of Seville, as they nailed every aspect of the production both on stage, in the orchestra, and behind the scenes and it is definitely a must see!
Grade 12
Opera Philadelphia’s modern twist on The Barber of Seville made the performance both comical and relatable, while still demonstrating elements of Spanish culture. The costumes were interesting but the performers really stole the show. Doctor Bartalo, played by Kevin Burdette, was my favorite. He brought the character to life with his captivating vocals and strong stage presence. He performed not only during his songs and scenes, but even in the background. Burdette was in character for the entire show, even when he walked. He was well supported by Jonathan Beyer as Figaro, Jennifer Holloway as Rosina, and Taylor Stayton in the leading role of Count Almaviva. Together, the group’s dynamic was a well-balanced mixture of good comedic timing and incredible talent. Figaro provided comic relief, contrasting Rosina’s breath-taking arias. I came into the performance with very low expectations, having never seen an opera before. Much to my surprise, I enjoyed the opera very much! I found it very funny and entertaining all the way through. Overall, Doctor Bartalo made the opera for me.
Academy of Notre Dame
12th Grade
I was extremely impressed by the reimagining of the Barber of Seville. Although it is a 19th century opera, it was ingeniously directed and the sets, costumes, and staging made the opera just as funny as any modern comedy. Every aspect of the production was unified: the vivid color palette, the upbeat tempo, and the young actors. I especially appreciated the scene where we see the inside of Rosina’s closet, full of more costumes just as over-the-top as the ones worn during the production. I also loved the energy and the enthusiasm of the young cast, which I thought contributed greatly to the overall feel of the performance. Operas tend to have a reputation of being long, boring works appreciated only by the most cultured of us, but the Barber of Seville was incredibly relatable, and I found myself enjoying it in the same way I would enjoy a comedy written during the 21st century.
12th grade
Ridley High School
Seeing the spectacular show, The Barber of Seville, was a very fun and enjoyable experience for me. One thing that I really liked was the fact that the opera was a comedy, rather than something serious. Funny things have always been my favorite, whether it be a movie, video, or some kind of show, I've always liked being able to get a laugh out of things. So with that being said, the humor in the opera is probably what I enjoyed the most about it. I also liked the singing. I was very impressed by the voices and high notes that were displayed throughout the performances. Everyone in the show had such beautiful voices. Although I was not able to understand much of the storyline because it was in Italian, I did like all of the props, liked the clothing, bright colors, and the overall fun and entertaining experience. It was fun to see. Thank you for the invitation; I enjoyed the opera very much. I'd love to come back again.
Grade:12
High school
I really liked the barber of Seville and found it very funny. As I watched the play I started to really get into the way they expressed love. You normally don't see the idea of a love let alone a romantic comedy expressed in modern day now. Nowadays it's more about the requirement and benefits and people in my opinion aren't getting the overall idea. The count obviously was my favorite character the way he was dressed in that soldier costume. I like how you took away all the seriousness out of a situation like that by how you were fooling Bartolo into thinking he was sick. People in my opinion can be very stressed out and this opera can be reassuring to those who just need a break. I loved the singing but I will be completely honest there was just a bit too much for me. I liked how Santa did nothing the entire time. I loved the lighting, sets, and how we were so high up to see it. Thanks to you I finally know what color you get when you mix yellow and purple. Overall it was a great play of good humor, stay comical!!!
School: Academy of Notre Dame
Grade: 12
The costumes used in the Philadelphia Opera Company’s production of The Barber of Seville incorporated elements of an older, more classical style dress with modern fashion. Although at first this choice seemed a bit contradictory and even confusing, I was quickly able to appreciate its role in bringing together the roles of old and new in a modern operatic experience. At the start of the opera, Fiorello and Count Almaviva were wearing contemporary business clothes, which connected the story to a more relatable era, the one in which we live (albeit one without cellphones). It made the characters seem more personable, and their operatic emotions more relatable to the average student. It is often easy to fall into the subconscious pattern of viewing opera as more of an archaic art form, but the modern costuming eliminated this prejudice immediately, allowing me to take a new perspective. There are some elements of the plot, however, that are difficult to reconcile with a thoroughly modernized adaptation. This was solved by the inclusion of more period costuming in the production. For example, the dress of Figaro and the members of his orchestra are from a different era entirely, and fall more into the category of what one would consider “typical” operatic costuming. This juxtaposes Figaro’s role in the story with that of Count Almaviva, giving Figaro an almost mythical status. The role of barbers in the 18th century cannot fully translate to a role in modern society, and Figaro’s costuming made the almost strange, fantastical (by current standards) influence of a barber believable in context.
Academy of Notre Dame
Grade 12
Although I was apprehensive about the modern day adaptation of The Barber of Seville, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance. The Opera was hysterical and the acting, especially that of Dr. Bartolo, was brilliant. He was able to fully transform into character and use his whole body to act, something that is difficult for any actor, let alone an opera singer to master. In addition, his facial expressions and the air about him were so captivating that I found myself drawn to him even when he was not the main focus of the scene. As we discussed in class, the actor had played the role of Dr. Bortolo previously, most likely contributing to his success in the role. However, I still believe that he was one of the most talented performers I have ever seen live, and he added something special to the performance. With a different Dr. Bartolo, I do not think I would have enjoyed the performance as much.
School: Academy of Notre Dame
Grade: 12
I enjoyed watching Opera Philadelphia’s The Barber of Seville. The adaptation of the setting to the 20th century was particularly engaging for younger audiences. The characters were more relatable and lively because of their modern actions and costuming. It is easier for today’s audience to relate to characters who are dressed as their parents or themselves once did. The costuming not only brought the characters to life, but also the stage and the production as a whole. The costuming was very colorful, as was the set, which quickly demanded any viewer’s attention. The striking patterns and colors were fresh and captivating. Overall, the production breathed a new life into the opera.
Grade 11
Ridley High School
I went with other students from Ridley High School to see the opera "Barber of Seville." It was the first opera I have ever been to, and I was amazed to say the least. I have been in musicals before, so I thought I would be able to pick up on some things the actors might have messed up on, but I could not. Everything each actor sang was extremely punctual and easy to understand. I thought the opera was wonderful, and I am looking forward to seeing more in my future.
Grade 11
Archbishop Wood
After seeing the Opera Philadelphia's performance of the Barber of Seville, I was pleasantly surprised and left with a positive impression. At first I felt skeptical that I would enjoy the performance, as many of these types of performances are long and difficult to understand. However, I found the opposite in the Barber of Seville. The set was beautiful and realistic, and really helped to paint the setting of the story. The characters were humorous and talented, which made the performance entertaining. I also like how many of the character's costumes looked more like that of the 20th century. I believe that this really helped the young audience, including myself, get into the story more because we could relate to the characters. I also enjoyed the music, and while I am not usually a fan of the classical genre, I think that the orchestra did a fantastic job.
Julian
Grade 8
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Charlie,
Grade 8
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
The one part about the opera I didn't like was the length. I thought some of the scenes were unnecessarily long.
I really liked the sets and the lighting. I thought that the lighting was really able to show the mood of the scenes. I thought the sets were very cool and interesting. I thought the outer walls of the house in the first scene were cool and modern.
Overall, I liked the opera. I found it interesting, funny and entertaining.
Hana,
Grade 8
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Elijah,
Grade 8
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
I liked Figaro a lot because of his humor and his acting abilites. The costumes were very interesting and colorful. Lindoro/the Count was also very interesting and funny. His voice matches his character well. The Academy of Music is always very interesting and awesome. The chandelier is really cool!
Kieran,
Grade 8
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Ally,
Grade 8
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Marley,
Grade 8
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Rylee,
Grade 8
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
I have been in an opera and I know how much fun it is. I hope everyone in it also loved it. The costumes were also beautiful, and the opera house is very gorgeous.
The songs were mostly joyful and crazy. I loved it. I would see the opera again. I am very grateful we get to go each year. Thank you for everything and good luck on other operas!
Anais,
Grade 7
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Ridley High School
Grade 12
The Barber of Seville was an interesting opera, with comedy and drama perfectly sewn together to create an experience. With a man shuffling out from the side stage to Figaro’s antics, the opera provided comical relief after an aria between Bartolo and Rosina, or the Count’s loving serenade to Rosina. The Count proved to be my favorite character, as his numerous disguises fascinated me. From Lindoro to a drunken soldier to Don Alonso, the Count always came prepared for some ridiculous plan to capture Rosina’s heart and prevent her from marrying Bartolo, and siding with Figaro’s crazy ideas to get to her provided for some more comedic relief. The length that the Count takes in order to reach and end up with Rosina provides a dramatic tone to the comedic opera in a sort of refreshing manner. With Bartolo trying to stop Rosina and the Count with every turn, Bartolo seems to be a forced wall in the scheme of things, making it feel a little forced with Bartolo. But, since the opera could not just purely be the Count and Rosina getting together, the role of Bartolo is needed. While the play ended on a rather abrupt note after everything the Count and Figaro went through to get to Rosina, the ending seemed to be the only possible ending that could seem somewhat okay and not entirely forced. Overall, I did enjoy the opera and would most likely see it again, given the chance.
Sarah
Grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anton,
Grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
The costumes were funny but a little bit cheesy. The singing was beautiful and the orchestra was great. The stage was set up well and the shuffling man was a nice touch. All in all it was better than last year. In my opinion it will be the best one I'll go to ever!
Gabe,
Grade 7
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Damien
Grade 7
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Julian,
Grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Claire,
Grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
My favorite characters wereBerta because she was extremely funny, and Bartolo (Kevin Burdette) because I found that he was very good at playing his cruel, mean and dominating part.
I liked the Barber of Seville, but I may not love to see an opera again. Even though The Barber of Seville was a good opera, they aren't really my thing. Still, I am very, very grateful that Opera Philadelphia makes this possible for schools all over Philly! And I'd like the actors, directors and every other person who helped in making it, THANK YOU!! It was a great experience.
Kaya,
Grade 6,
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
I sort of want to see another opera, but only if it was less repetitive and a little more action and less talking. This was the first opera I've ever seen and it made a pretty good impression, but it would not be my first choice for a field trip.
Lucien,
Grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Ruby,
Grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Rowan,
Grade 6,
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Maya,
Grade 7
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Sadie,
Grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
I really like how you made it all modern with the sets and costumes. I also liked Berta's costumes. The acting was very funny, especially the scenes with Don Basilio and Con Alonso. the Costumes suited the characters and I loved Berta's closet. Thank you for letting us all see amazing, beautiful operas!
Hanna,
Grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Kade,
Grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
The sets were very fabulous and cool. Figaro had a very awesome costume as well. I have never been to an opera before, and apparently, operas are great! The music was especially catchy. Thank you for the opportunity!
David
Grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
The Count and his disguises added some good action to the story. I did not like Don Alonso's yoga -- it annoyed me. I don't think reading the libretto before hand is a good idea because it gave away the ending of the opera.
I liked Act I better than Act II because it had more action. It was also funnier in the first half. I liked when Rosina pretended her note was the aria "The Useless Precaution" and made a paper airplane from it.
Tommy
Dexter
Grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Elly,
Grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Preston,
Grade 7
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
But getting back to what I loved about the opera. I want to point out that all the actors were extremely into their parts and they all did great. My favorite singer was Rosina -- she had a spectacular voice! And I loved Berta because "she was a character with character!" I love when characters really express themselves. I also thought the Barber of Seville was an especially humorous show. To conclude, I am very glad that my school was invited to see The Barber of Seville.
Julia,
Grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Academy of Notre Dame
Grade 12
I really enjoyed seeing The Barber of Seville at the Philadelphia Opera House. While I thought all of the roles were played wonderfully, I especially enjoyed the character of Figaro. I thought Figaro’s aria was very funny and one of the highlights of the show. Also, Jonathan Beyer was very convincing in his role as a manipulator in the relationship between Rosina and Lindoro. Without the essential character Figaro, the humor and overall plot of the opera would have suffered and I would have found the opera to be less enjoyable.
Grade 11
Archbishop Wood
I thoroughly enjoyed the Opera Philadelphia's The Barber of Seville. Going into it, I honestly didn't think I would actually be laughing out loud, but it was hilarious. I never would have thought that something I could just barely understand would be so humorous. If I had the chance to go see it again, I would definitely go! This was my first time going to the opera and now I am actually excited to get the chance to go back next year! This was an amazing experience and I'm so glad I got this chance to experience another culture.
Archbishop Wood High School
Grade 11
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this opera because we didn't have as much time to go over it in class like last year; however, I was thoroughly impressed. I thought it was very comedic and entertaining to watch! Whether it was the character’s facial expressions or the brilliant costumes, there was always something to catch your eye. One of my favorite characters was Berta because I loved her bright, colorful, and interesting dresses. Also, I thought the backgrounds were beautifully made and helpful to those who didn't speak much Italian. Overall, I had a great time watching the opera. I have been coming to see these operas every year since I was a freshman and I have to say that this has been my favorite so far. I definitely hope to continue my tradition and come back next year!
Archbishop Wood
Grade 11
This was my first time ever attending an opera and I was incredibly impressed! I loved all the different sets there was on stage, especially the house set with the giant roster painting. I also loved the colorful costumes that the cast wore on stage. Berta's costumes were my favorite out of all. I found the opera itself to be thoroughly enjoyable to watch. I found myself laughing out loud at many of the scenes. I thought it was really easy to understand what was going on in the opera, even if you can't understand Italian. Overall, I had an incredible time watching The Barber of Seville. I can't wait to come back next year!
Grade: 10th
School: Archbishop Wood
I found that the play, "Barber of Seville", was much better than I expected. The cast had lovely voices and good comedic timing. A scene I really enjoyed was the eye appointment when the Count finds out that Rosina has fallen for someone else. I the Count very funny and silly which made the play for me. I cannot wait till the next time I come back to see another play at the "Academy of Music".
Archbishop Wood
9th Grade
This was my first year attending the opera with my school, so naturally i was a little skeptical. When I first arrived at the Academy of Music and saw the stage setting, I honestly thought that the opera would be completely tacky and lame. But when the opera actually started, I was pleasantly surprised. The characters were dressed in modern costumes and the dialog contained present day banter. The story was very humorous and enjoyable, especially the character Figaro.Nothing about the Barber of Seville disappointed me. I plan to attend the opera next year for an equally pleasing performance.
Grade: 9
School: Archbishop Wood
I didn't really think I was going to enjoy the opera before going because I don't like plays or musicals. The opera itself wasnt that bad, but actually quite interesting. It was very confusing at times, as it was hard to see the subtitles from where I sat. I liked how it was comical at parts. If it wasn't funny I don't think I would have liked it at all because other than the funny parts it was somewhat boring. Overall I would not mind seeing another opera at this location, but most likely not this particular opera again, unless its a different version that has a different story or a less modern appeal.
Archbishop Wood High School
9th Grade
This was my first opera. I was nervous originally whether or not I would like the opera, but after seeing the wonderful performance I was very pleased. The actors showed great emotion and were greatly in touch with the character they were portraying.
The comedy opera was also amusing with hilarious physical and verbal comedic actions and lines.
I look forward to seeing more operas at the opera house of Philadelphia.
Archbishop wood high school
Grade 9
When I first signed up for the opera, I wasn't very excited. Then I realized that some of my friends were going and I felt a little bit more comfortable with going. When we got to the opera house I thought it was going to be boring and hard to understand since I only understood a few words in Italian. After watching the opera, I realized that it was quite simple to understand since there was a translation above the stage. Since the characters spoke In Italian I felt that it was easier to connect to the plot of the story and realize that it was an Italian opera. Overall, I enjoyed the opera and would go again.
Shannon
Archbishop Wood High School
Grade 9