Skip to main content

Don Giovanni Student Reviews


Students in the Opera Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw Mozart's Don Giovanni at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia on April 23, 2014.

Who was that masked man? As the legendary rake Don Juan leaves a trail of jilted lovers and mayhem in his wake, Mozart’s alternately mischievous and harrowing masterpiece of mistaken identity reveals the charmer’s darkest side. With an ingeniously playful staging of masquerades, trapdoors and mirrored panels, witness the genre's most infamous scoundrel in this timeless classic of comedy and tragedy. 

Participating students are encouraged to share their thoughts on the opera by posting their reviews here. All reviews, positive and negative, will be accepted, just make sure to include your:
  • FIRST NAME
  • GRADE
  • SCHOOL
In order to be accepted onto the blog, all reviews must be at least 50 words or more.

Tell us what you liked about the story, the sets, your favorite character, or your favorite scene, and more.

Don't forget to support your opinion in 50 words or more!

Thanks!

Comments

Timothy said…
Hello. My name is Timothy from Anna Lane Lingelbach, and I am in the sixth grade. I think the opera was really nice, and the orchestra was really good too. The only problem I had with the opera was the sex scene. I found this shocking because in the book, it just said that Zerlina was going to heal Masetto, nothing else. Overall, Don Giovanni is a really nice opera to see and listen too.
Maria (Archbishop Wood) said…
I had a really good time watching Don Giovanni! The singing was beautiful and it was very interesting to see the story that my Italian class read about come to life. I think the actors and actresses depicted the play very accurately. Overall, it was a nice experience. The opera was very enjoyable and I would love to go again!
Anonymous said…
Teresa, Grade 10, Archbishop Wood
After seeing Don Giovanni, I had lots of mixed feelings. The actors and singing were incredible, but i wasn't a fan of the set. From first seeing La bohème last year (which was fantastic all around) to seeing Don Giovanni, I was a little disappointed. The sets in Don Giovanni were kind of plain and didn't have much difference. I did like the hanging pictures, moving walls, and traps door though. Another thing that caught me off guard were some of the very touchy scenes. I know the opera was about a womanizer, but I wasn't expecting what had happened. Also because my class went through the whole libretto and read the script aloud, I was expecting Donna Anna's father's statue to be an actual statue that was standing. I felt it might have confused people still seeing the tomb and then her father's ghost walking out aside the tomb. Another thing was when Don Giovanni was about to be dragged down into hell, I was expecting more red lights and demons almost pulling at him, making the scene much more dramatic. Once again, the singing and acting was outstanding, but the set didn't quite catch my eye.
Anonymous said…
My name is Ben, I am a Sophomore at Archbishop Wood High School. This was my first opera and I feel like it didn't meet up to it's standards. I had gone over the libretto with my Italian class prior to seeing it, and I feel like the opera cast could have done a better job depicting the story. The scenery was also confusing. There was at least one arm-chair in almost every scene, including the outside scenes where there shouldn't have been one. Also, in the scene where Don Giovanni is having dinner with the Commodore, the statue was both having dinner and on the tomb. The tomb was also in Giovanni's house, for some reason. One thing I did like was the music. Each character knew their line's very well, and sung them incredibly.
Khamira V said…
My name is Khamira, I am in the 10th grade and I attend Charter Tech High School for the Performing Arts.

Don Giovanni was an opera that entertaining to see. The story itself was interesting. Prior to going to the opera, my vocal teacher had the class read the Study Guide, which helped me a lot in understanding the story better..

I liked how it was serious at times but then there would be that one part where you could laugh. I didn't really like Act I as much as I did Act II.

My favorite character was Leporello. I liked Leporello because he knew what type of person Don Giovanni was but still remained faithful as a servant to him. My least favorite character was Donna Elvira. It seemed as if she was obsessed with Don Giovanni. She had already been hurt once by him and allowed to be hurt by him again.

My experience at the opera show wise was great, but at some parts, kids were laughing at things that weren't really funny. I think that 8th grade through 12 grade should have seen this opera. Some of the scenes were too mature and inappropriate for young children.

This is the second opera that I went to and it was the best one. Overall, this was a wonderful opera to see and an amazing experience. I am glad that I went and honestly wouldn't mind seeing it again!
Anonymous said…
Hello my name is Anna from CB East. I thought the opera was performed nicely. The special affects with the screen was very cool. I did not think it was appropriate for young kids though. Even though you had to be over 10 to enter I still believe the play was too mature for many of the students to handle. Many of the people did not know how to act and it ended up disturbing those who were mature enough to handle the play.
Anonymous said…
Hello my name is Charlotte from CB East. This was the first opera I've attended, so I wasn't sure of what to expect. I sat at the highest point of the building and this made me slightly uncomfortable and I noticed there were a lot of open seats, so I'd suggest maybe trying to fit everyone in to available seats. I really enjoyed the music a lot, that was my favorite part of the show. I have always enjoyed Mozart. The opera itself was a little hard for me to follow considering it was in Italian, but it was still entertaining. Overall, it was a fun experience.
Caleb said…
This is Caleb from CB EAST
I really enjoyed Don Giovanni. As a musician I was always watching the pit. I really enjoyed how the instruments were able to play and sound like one instrument. I was also impressed with how the pit was sunk under the stage. I also enjoyed the comic releif that Laperello provided for the show. All together this was a great show and I would recommend it to anyone over 13 because there were some very "interesting" scenes.
Rachel from CB East said…
I had never seen an opera previous to seeing Don Giovanni, and I was not sure that I would enjoy it, but I realized very quickly that I love it! The performers were all amazing, especially the woman who played Donna Anna. As a musician, I liked being able to look down into the pit and watch the orchestra. The conductor was phenomenal. I was amazed by the costume and light effects that made Il Commentadore look like a statue. The only negative comment that I have is that I don't think elementary schools should have been invited, since much of the content in the show was for more mature audiences, and the younger kids were not behaving appropriately. Overall, Don Giovanni was very good and this experience has given me a newfound appreciation for opera.
Gregory said…
Hi. My name is Gregory from Central Bucks High School East. I really enjoyed the opera. The singing was really fantastic, and surpassed my expectations when I watched it. I really found the humor enlightening and the overall play quite satisfying. I never expected an opera to have such a mirroring structure of a play. There was one minor issue I had, but it had nothing to do with the actual opera. The opera was marvelous, however some of the younger kids, including 5th and 6th graders, are not able to fully deal with the high level of maturity necessary to sit still and pay attention to a more slow moving, simple set opera, in comparison to events watched on the big screen in the theaters. The elementary school children caused several distractions, either with their shallow levels of maturity, or with their incapability to fully understand some of the mature moments. There should be an age limit, to prevent interruptions during some of the more mature moments, and even interruptions during the slower movie moments of the opera, for the enjoyment for some of the older viewers.
Julie (CB East) said…
My name is Julie from CB East High School. For a first time attendee, the opera was quite impressive. I really enjoyed the pit and powerful singing. I found it quite impressive that they projected their voices without microphones. The set was really cool, though I didn't quite understand the opening of the tiles to retrieve items part. Leporello brought the perfect amount of humor into the opera. My favorite part was when Masetto "stealthily" hid behind a chair and switched postions to prevent from being seen. Overall, the performance was fantastic and I throughly enjoyed it. The opera house was also beautiful and I was quite taken with the chandelier.
Anonymous said…
Heather
Archbishop Wood
Grade 12

The opera itself was very good and manged to keep to interested. The performers were very talented people. However, the execution of a lot of the scenes bothered me. The minimal props and odd lighting confused me more than anything, and left me more interested in /where/ the scene was or /what/ certain props were doing in certain scenes rather than the performance itself. For example, the entrance of the statue was made entirely less dramatic than it should have been by the tomb already being in Don Giovanni's dining room (for no apparent reason). The demons in the death scene underwhelmed me as I was expecting something Christmas Carol-ish with ghosts and rattling chains. In addition, while I realize the lyrics say what they do and they must be sung as written, many of the motions and actions were a bit exaggerated and made it just a bit too modern and comical for my taste. The crude motions and intense focus on sex was too much, and took too much away from the true beauty in the lyrics and opera itself. I did enjoy myself, though, and regret that, as a senior, I will not be able to experience the opera again with my school.
Sarah, Grade 10, Charter Tech High School for the Performing Arts said…
I thoroughly enjoyed Don Giovanni at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia. I have wanted to see one of Mozart’s operas since I was very young, and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. It is very hard to pick a favorite character, but the ones that stick out in my mind are Don Giovanni, Leporello, Elvira and Zerlina. I did not dislike a character. The spectacular performance aside, I found the other participating schools to be disrespectful as an audience. They were constantly chatting through the whole production, and were a bit immature during scenes with adult content. This did put a bit of a damper on things for me.
Anonymous said…
HI, My name is Breanne. I go to Archbishop Wood High School and I am a sophomore. This was the first opera I have attended and it wasn't what I was expecting. When I think of an opera I think of a large orchestra and people standing there singing. To my surprise I was wrong and enjoyed every minute of it. The singing was my favorite it was beautifully done. However, I think there was to much time spent on the music and the singing and not the acting. Towards the end I was a little confused with the scenery and props and what was happening.First your in the grave yard with the tomb then next you know you are in the dining room using a picture as a table on the floor and the tomb is still sitting there. Then Don Giovanni putting the wine bottle on top like it was a table and we didn't notice. One other thing, I think it was a little to sexual for 5th and 6th graders to be watching.
Anonymous said…
Hello. My name is Monique from Anna Lane Lingelbach, and I am in the sixth grade. First I want to say thanks for inviting the 2 sixth grade class to the Don Giovanni opera , the place was very beautiful I also like the opera the voices was very unique , the act was very amazing i'm glad I saw it because I learned a lot of things from watching the opera . Again thank you for inviting me to Don Giovanni opera it was great I really liked all the actors.
Anonymous said…
Hi my name is Taylor from Anna Lingelbach Elementary School.My experience at the opera was awesome. I liked the opera because the words went the action and the action went with everything.My favorite character was Don Giovanni. He is my favorite character because everything he did was sneaky,mysterious,and magical.Also Don Giovanni was cute. Don Giovanni was sweet. I like the sets because they told us what was happening before it happened including the mature parts. I wish it was more action when Don Giovanni was getting drag into hell. The costumes were pretty. I really liked Donna Anna's costumes they were pretty and very creative. I also liked Don Giovanni's costume it showed his personality. I really like Din Giovanni.
Anonymous said…
Hello. My name is Tymir from Anna Lane Lingelbach, I am in the sixth grade. Even thought it was my first opera and I thought it would be boring it wasn't. I liked the opera because of the scenes i saw. The costumes. The acting My favorite character was Don Giovanni Because the way he dressed He was being a player. He had girls coming from left to right. I liked the sets and the costumes because the sets were set well and the costumes were looking old and fashsionable . I would like to go see another opera like Don Giovanni.
Anonymous said…
Hello my name is Endia from Anna Lane Lingelbach, and I'm in sixth grade. I liked this opera because the singing was very wonderful and the characters reactions to he things that were violence was awesome. My favorite character was Donna Elvira because she is a very talented lady and also she is a great singer with very amazing personality, but last she is a perfect actress. I did like the sets and costumes because the costumes were just beautiful in the way the characters were wearing them. Then the sets were just wonderful when my favorite characters were out there doing there thing and acting in a perfect and lovely way to show the audience what they do in a opera.
Anonymous said…
Hello. My name is Nikaya from Anna Lane Lingelbach, and I am in the 6th grade. I had a great time watching the one and only Don Giovanni. The opera basically told a story of a man with a lot of woman that he seduced and loved. I also loved the instruments, they were playing very loudly and on point. My favorite actor was Don Giovanni because he had a powerful voice and his actions were hilarious and very nasty. It also had some sex scenes in it which I found shocking. I found the costumes very unique and I think it showed who they really were. For example, Zerlina wore a beautiful dress with colorful colors on it and a basket of flowers in her hand. That shows me that she was innocent and careful. Another thing about DON GIOVANNI is that he was quite handsome and he had long hair that's curly... So my experience at the opera was very interesting and fun. Also I would really love to be there again.
Tyler(Lingelbach) said…
My experience at the opera was amazing. When I walked in the lobby I was suprised as how pretty it was. Walking up the Steps you could tell that carpet was vintage. The seats were velvet. My only bad critique is the seats are cramp. The opera was amazing. Although were high up we could hear the singers perfectly. The subtitles did not go to slow or to fast. Although it was a rehearsal the lighting was great. We had good views of the orestra. pit and the stage. All round is was a great opera.
Denver said…
Hello, my name is Denver from Anna Lane Lingelbach Elementary School, and I'm in sixth grade. I went to see the opera Don Giovanni by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. My experience at the opera was awesome. My experience at the opera was awesome because I never went to an opera before and this one made me smile, laugh, and frown. I liked this opera alot. I like this opera because it was exciting. For example when Don Giovanni dressed up as Leporello, I found this very exciting because it was impotant to opera. My favorite singer was Don Giovanni. My favorite singer was Don Giovanni because he showed great flow in his voice. For example before he started to fight Donna Anna's Father his voice sounded smooth. I would love to go to another opera. We had very good seats at the opera, you could see everything, and hear everything. I enjoyed the opera very much.
Jessa said…
Hi my name's Jessa. I'm in the 11th grade from Chartertech High School. I thought the opera was really great. It was definitely entertaining. I liked how there was a little bit of comedy in it so the audience could laugh a little. I loved the props and the costumes. The orchestra did an awesome job with the music. I loved all of the characters, but I especially liked Don Giovanni. His character was very interesting and the guy did very well playing the role. I also liked Leporello because he added a bit of humor to the whole thing. The scene where Don Giovanni was being dragged into hell was pretty cool, but I think they should have added a little bit more fire or something to grab our attention even more. Other than that I thought the show was great. I do have one complaint about some of the audience members. I don't think some of them were mature enough to watch the opera. Some people were laughing at things that weren't meant to be funny. I don't think an opera like this was appropriate for students in grades 5-7, especially with some of the scenes. And many of them just kept talking and giggling and even playing on their phones. They definitely proved they couldn't handle going to an opera like Don Giovanni.
Anonymous said…
Greetings ! My name is Kayzie B. I am a 10th grader who attended this opera with my fellow classmates from ChARTer Tech High school of the Performing Arts. I'd like to thank the director and people who made it possible for my school's attendance at your final dress rehearsal. In general, i enjoyed the show. I did notice a few things that i intend to enlighten you on to help you make your next show even more spectacular.
To begin, though i understand it was only a rehearsal, i noticed problems with the subtitles and general stage set up. because i was seated in the amphitheater i was able to see some of the characters on deck when they weren't supposed to be visible. I also was able to see a ladder in the back that i was positive wasn't supposed to be seen. aside from that, i enjoyed most of the set design. The sliding sets and smoothness of it all added a sense of professionalism to the show and it was extremely eye pleasing. Lastly, on the note of the stage, i really wanted Don Giovanni's descent into hell to be more dramatic. It was in my opinion that the urgency and sense of danger at the end of act 1 before the intermission should have also been applied to the last scene.
In addition, though some of the scenes were suggestive, and you did send out a warning about the possible explicit material, some of the students there shouldn't have attended.I think that some of the intended romantic scenes were interpreted wrongly due to the fact of their lack of reaching a appropriate age. when Zerlina sang her song about her " special medicine" , people were laughing and i was unsure of how to react. If anything, an age restriction should have been placed on it. also, in regards to the other schools, my show wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been because of the fact some of the kids around them were misusing their privilege to be there. Next to me, a school was talking, someone brought buttered popcorn with them, another a few rows above me brought a toddler and began playing some type of app game. It was more complicated than need be, to enjoy the talents of all of the actors who preformed for that reason. I believe proper etiquette should have been taught to many of them and it astounded me how many people dressed so casually to a place of such prestige.
Something else i picked up on, was the pits talent. I was astounded by what a beautiful and on point way of playing resonated throughout the entire auditorium.To them, i had no complaints. I really enjoyed Don Giovanni and the actor and vocalist who preformed as him. As a performer, he i felt what he wanted me to feel. Anger, Repulsion, Anxiety, and somehow, i found Don Giovanni to be my favorite character. His servant also made me laugh because of how blunt or forward he was. I understood the innuendos and subtle comedic hints and i enjoyed how Mozart intertwined the idea of an egotistical maniac with a obsessive need for affection and violence to a plot line that is sadly still relevant today. ( It probably always will be. ) Through this opera, he managed to show what scheming and adultery can lead to, and in the end, if regretful and pompous, there would only be one place you would go to.
Lastly, i enjoyed the entire experience, though i witnessed a few instances of slip ups, id recommend anyone aged 14 or older to watch and enjoy the amazement and splendor that is evident in the production of this opera. The actors and directory were honestly breathtaking and astounding to witness, and if given the opportunity to attend another show, i would jump at the idea and run. It is a great program and idea in general that the Philly opera has crafted. It gave a average 10th grader such as myself the chance to crate an unforgettable memory, and helped to deepen my appreciation for the art form that is opera, which is under rated within the youth of today. It was a well executed show and i am grateful for the opportunity to have attended. Invite my school back! Have a lovely day and thank you for reading.
Anonymous said…
My name is Victoria. I am in the 8th Grade at St. Mary Interparochial School. I came to the opera uninterested, however, my views changed once the first act came on. The theme of the opera was for a mature audience who could handle it. It was presented in a respectable yet humorous way, which I enjoyed. My favorite character was probably Don Ottavio because his love for Donna Anna was unwavering, which is inspiring.
Anonymous said…
Cara, Grade 8, St. Mary Interparochial School. Overall, my opera experience was good. Our seats were in the front row unlike last year when we sat in the balcony. The singers' voices were beautiful and the witty humor kept the audience intrigued. My favorite character was the handsome and talented Masetto. I also like Leporello, Don Giovanni's timid and comical servant. The costumes, which I absolutely loved, were beautifully designed; as were the sets. I hope to attend the opera again without my class and with my parents.
Anonymous said…
Simone, Grade 8, St. Mary Interparochial School. I enjoyed seeing Don Giovanni! The actors and actresses made the play very realistic. I didn't really care for Don Ottavio and Donna Anna. The characters kind of bothered me because it seemed like all they did was talk about how they wanted to avenge Anna's father's death and it just got boring after a while. My favorite characters had to be Zerlina, Masetto and Don Giovanni. They entertained me throughout the whole play. Leporella was hilarious. I loved the music. It was calming sometimes but other times it was intense. I look forward to seeing this play again one day!
Anonymous said…
Jalen, Grade 8, St. Mary Interparochial School. I had a very good experience at the opera. My favorite character was Zerlina. She had a beautiful voice and she was very pretty. I usually do not fully understand the storyline for each play but this time was different. I actually understood this opera. Overall, this was my favorite opera and I hope to see another!
Anonymous said…
Jane, 8th Grade, St. Mary Interparochial School. I really enjoyed the opera. I was absolutely excited about our front row seats and even more excited about going. The singing was amazing, especially Donna Anna's voice. Even though Donna Anna was my favorite singer, Don Giovanni was my favorite character. His role was very funny and believable. The only thing I did not like about the play was the stage set up. It looked all over the place to me. My favorite scene was when Don Giovanni was sent off to Hell. Most of the male characters were very attractive, too. I would really love to see this play another time with my class.
Anonymous said…
Alexa, Grade 8, St. Mary Interparochial School. My experience at the opera this year was AMAZING. Compared to last year, my experience was much better. I definitely found a change from when we sat way in the balcony to when we sat up front. For example, people with seeing problems like me would have a hard time seeing subtitles from the balcony. Also, I loved the energy coming from the actors/singers. I also appreciated the preparation that we were given by the Sounds of Learning. The book gave us a brief summary so that we could have knowledge of what would be going on.
Anonymous said…
Alexandra, Grade 8, St. Mary Interparochial School. I loved the opera. I was enchanted by the emotion in each and every beautiful voice. Their stage presence was impeccable. I was surprised, yet delighted, by the strong, melodious voices I heard. The story wasn't exactly a moving one, but it isn't supposed to be. My favorite voice belonged to Donna Elvira because she could control her voice perfectly, even while keeping it strong, powerful and loud. My favorite couple was Zerlina and Masetto.
Anonymous said…
Mackenzie
Grade: 10
School: Archbishop Wood

This is my second year seeing a play at the Philadelphia Opera, the first year I went I saw La Boheme. La Boheme was a really good and impressive play but it was very confusing to understand. This year, when I saw Don Giovanni I really understood it and I did enjoy the play but I did think that at some points it was inappropriate. I thought that the stage, set and music was outstanding! I thought that how the pictures and sets moved into each new scene was amazing. What I enjoyed most about the play was the music, I love to hear people singing like that and it was very impressive to me! I will continually come back with my school, and I cannot wait to see the next play! Thank You.
Anonymous said…
Mekkhi
Grade 6
Lansdowne Friends School

My experience at the opera was one I'll never forget. I liked that at the opera there was cooperation between the performers and audience that meant we had to be respectful for them to perform. Don Ottavio was my favorite character because he was sensible and reasonable in my eyes. I liked the costumes because they captured the emotions and intentions of the characters, especially Don Giovanni. The one thing that I feel could have been improved was the detail in the settings.
Anonymous said…
Isabelle
Grade 5
Lansdowne Friends School

I liked the opera because it was funny but it also taught a lesson. My favorite character was Leporello because he was funny and loyal. I think he was loyal to the wrong person. Don Giovanni was awful to Leporello and was willing to put his life on the line. I really, really liked the costumes, especially all the beautiful dresses. I thought the sets could have been a bit more detailed.
Anonymous said…
Cameryn
Grade 5
Lansdowne Friends School

I like the opera because all the characters turned on Don Giovanni and tried to kill him. I disliked that fact that Donna Elvira still loved Don Giovanni after he seduced and left her. I actually liked Leporello because he was funny and smart enough to stop serving Don Giovanni and stand up for himself.
Anonymous said…
Cameron
Grade 6
Lansdowne Friends School

The experience at the opera was fascinating. I liked the opera because it's just like modern day sit-coms but it was live. You can see and feel how our entertainment has been molded by opera. My favorite character was Don Giovanni because I loved to hate him. He is the example of how not to act. I liked how the stage was set up, but it needed to change a bit more from scene to scene. It also needed a trap door instead of a slide to Hell.
Anonymous said…
Ava
Grade 6
Lansdowne Friends School

I really liked the opera and dressing up for it. The workbook was fun and I learned a lot from it. My favorite character was Donna Elvira. She tried to protect girls from Don Giovanni the whole time. She was a strong character and spoke her mind. I thought Donna Elvira in the libretto was very different from Donna Elvira in the performance, I prefer her as the version we saw in the performance. The costumes were great. The sets weren't great. There were few props to make the setting, it looked boring.
Anonymous said…
Robert
Grade 5
Lansdowne Friends School

I disliked the opera because it was a different language and the translator at the top wasn't helping. I liked it because it was a new experience. I had never been to the opera before. My favorite character was the statue because he stopped don Giovanni. In the beginning of the opera there was a picture on stage and it made no sense to me. I also didn't like the dark curtain that kept drawing down, it started to confuse me.
Unknown said…
Grace Archbishop Wood Grade 12.
This was my first opera ever and I have to say that im glad I had some sort of idea of what I was going to see because other wise I would have been lost. I thought that the singing was beautiful but the opera itself was very confused and not explain. I also thought some of it was very inappropriate for the audience. I understand it wasn't the opening night but I thought it could have been better.
Unknown said…
Grace Archbishop Wood grade 12
this was my first opera ever and Im very lucky that I knew a background of this opera because otherwise I would have no idea what was going on. the singing was beautiful but the opera wasn't well put together or appropriate for its audience. there were problems with lighting and the story was not explained at all so it was very hard to follow. I was a little disappointed when I saw this opera.
Anonymous said…
Jamal (FLC)
Don Giovanni is the best opera I have ever seen. This was actually my very first opera but I think nothing could top the performance of the actors and orchestra. The opera was so thrilling, exciting, it was just MARVELOUS! My favorite part of the opera was the finale when Donna Anna's father came back as a spirit to get Don Giovanni to repent his sins. Instead he don't repent so he descends into hell. I loved it! I loved the humor of the opera and singing. My favorite character was Don Giovanni. His costume and his humor went with his personality PERFECTLY! In addition, his acting and singing. Every costume was perfect for each character. I especially liked the way the creator of this opera used the same objects to do different scenes. No scenes felt the same which was perfect. It was creative and BRILLIANT. Keep this up! I hope to see another of your great operas.
Anonymous said…
Rasheem (FLC)
While attending the performance of the opera Don Giovanni, I would say that I really enjoyed myself. I liked this particular opera because I enjoyed the plot which centralizes the main character of the opera and his adventures of seducing random women and bringing a lot of misfortune to those particular women and other people that they associate with. I also enjoyed the musical background that the orchestra pit provided. I think that the music was one of the key factors that made the opera very good. The music was able to blend in well with the action of the plot. In addition, my favorite character of the opera was Donna Anna. She was able to show enough strength in the opera after her father's death. Furthermore, she was very persistent about getting revenge on Don Giovanni. In other words, her unique character traits helped her become my favorite character. I also liked the sets and costumes. I liked the sets because they were able to help the audience (including myself) to capture the setting of the opera. In addition, I liked them because they helped the audience capture/visualize the characters' appearance, which helped the audience create their personal assumption of each character and their characteristics. In general, I enjoyed myself and like all of the scenes, characters, sets, and costumes while attending Don Giovanni.
Anonymous said…
Joseph (FLC)
My experience at the opera was great. The time each scene took was perfect and the way the characters interacted with each other was amazing. One of my opinions that I would like to point out is the way the stage was set with the props and lights. The props and lights made me feel as if I was actually in the story watching each character react to one another in front of me. The main character Don Giovanni was my favorite character because he was part of every main event which contained a lot of action. For example, when Don Giovanni fought the commendatore, Don Giovanni moved fast with his sword which led the commendatore to die. Without the costumes that were being used I would not be much excited. The costumes set the setting and reminded me through the scenes that I was watching a story that started hundreds of years ago.
Anonymous said…
J'woanteera (FLC)
This was my first opera I've been to and I loved it. The orchestra was amazing and the songs were so beautiful. I did think Donna Anna's aria was a little too long for my attention span, but it was beautiful. The actors and actresses were so good and brought it to life. The special effects were very interesting, especially when Donna Anna's father came back to life. My favorite character was Don Giovanni. Not because of the horrible things he did, but because he was funny. My favorite singer was Donna Elvira. Her voice was so angelic and beautiful. Although there was a big language gap, I can really say that I love opera. Hopefully I will see many more operas and maybe understand a few words and phrases.
Anonymous said…
Jamir (FLC)
The opera was fantastic! I've been to so many operas, but this was a very interesting one. This opera was not like the other ones, a lot of operas tell stories that have something either about love, tragedies and more drama. This one told more than about love, it helped me to understand that doing the wrong things in life will lead you in a situation that you can't get out of. Also it taught me to try and fix the wrong things and how I think. Everyone always says what goes around comes back around....So this play was one of the best I've experienced. The last thing is the characters were awesome. Singing for about 3 hours straight is like "WOW!!!" I'm a singer myself, I sing in a choir called Joy Unlimited Movement, so hearing them sing is inspiring to a young person.
Anonymous said…
Tiffany (FLC)
I love the way they had each school seated in the theater. I love the way the theater was built so elegant. You can tell they took their time when they built the theater. You can see it in the detailed carvings of the pillars and the symbols on each of the balconies. My favorite character was Don Giovanni. The actor played the part with such concentration and charisma and pride, his performance just touched my heart. I absolutely loved the set and costumes because it took absolute dedication and patience to make everything perfect. From the mirror-like wall to the color-changing wall. The lighting was perfect for every scene.
Anonymous said…
Carel (FLC)
I enjoyed the opera immensely because of how entertaining the opera was overall. The characters were distinct in their own personal way and the singers who performed then executed their individual personas marvelously. My favorite character by far was Don Giovanni. His seductive powers toward the women is not a characteristic you see in many characters in entertainment unless you want to look at Barney Stinson from the hit sitcom "How I Met Your Mother." We can't forget the nonchalant attitude Don Giovanni has toward the actions of women he seduces. I loved the sets and costumes of the Opera. It really helped me get enticed to what I was watching. It was simplistic, yet elegant at the same time, which is an aspect I thoroughly enjoyed about the opera.
Anonymous said…
Alliana (FLC)
I enjoyed the opera more than I thought I would. I liked it because it was funny and entertaining. It was pretty slow at first, but overall good. My favorite character was Masetto because his actions were funny and he probably was the only real victim of Giovanni. My favorite singer was Elvira because she had a pretty voice and her songs were entertaining. The sets were pretty--especially the ballroom scene with the curtains and when Giovanni was dropped from the stage when he died. Not many negatives to say, and I would like to see another opera.
Nicole said…
Nicole
6th Grade
Bala Cynwyd Middle School

This past Wednesday, I was able to attend the final dress rehearsal for the Don Carlo opera in the Philadelphia Academy of Music. To me, the theater arts really stood out, starting with the set design, and costumes, and ending with the great lighting to leave a mysterious effect on the audience. What amazed me the most was that, with just a simple change of lighting and adding another prop, the whole set design changed. For example, during the third scene, they added sand and some gates, changing the set from the auto-da-fé scene where Don Carlo was arrested, to the prison where Don Carlo was being held. Overall, I was amazed by how much a stage could change by adding even just a few simple chairs.

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...