Skip to main content

La bohème Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw Puccini's La bohème at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia on September 26, 2012.

Participating students are encouraged to post their reviews here on the blog. All reviews will be accepted, just make sure to include your first name, grade, and the school you attend.

Tell us what you liked about the story, the sets, your favorite character, or your favorite. scene.

Don't forget to support your opinion in 50 words or more!

Thanks!

Comments

Anonymous said…
My name is Meagan and I am part of the Mount Rushmore Homeschool group. My favorite part of La boheme was Act 3, the snow effect. It looked really cool falling onto the stage. I didn't have a least favorite part, I enjoyed the whole opera. I am looking forward to coming back again!
Kelly said…
Hi,
My name is Kelly and I saw the La Boheme oopera with the Mount Rushmore Homeschoolers. My favorite thing about the opera was that the actors were very good at acting out their parts. The thing I liked least was that some people were clapping when they shouldn't have been. I think the actors were really good, and I think that the Academy is a great place to go for an opera. I liked how the pictures moved and I especially liked Starry Night because the stars swirled and twinkled.
Anonymous said…
I attended the opera with the Mount Rushmore Homeschool group and my name is Nick. Act 2 was my favorite part. I enjoyed the fire breather, the man on stilts and the person eating the caramel apples. My least favorite part was when Mimi died.
This is my fourth opera and I've always liked it. I was bothered this time by the people clapping before they were supposed to. The rest of the evening was great!
Dmw said…
I saw the La Boheme opera with the Mount Rushmore Homeschoolers. My favorite aspect of the opera was the comic relief. The part I liked least was the sad ending.

I thought it was a good opera in general, but the end was a bit too sad for me. I highly recommend this opera for anyone who wants to see it. I would like to thank the opera company who allowed us to see this opera for free.

SLR said…
Hi,
My name is Taylor and I saw the La Boheme opera with the Mount Rushmore Homeschoolers. My favorite thing about this opera was the art they used in the opera set. The thing I liked least was some of the other groups in the audience was loud. I had a great time and can't wait to go again next year.

Thank you!
Katherine, Grade 7, Mount Rushmore Homeschoolers said…
I really enjoyed this opera. It was a great story and the performers played their characters well, especially Mimi and Rodolfo. My favorite part was Act Two, where so many things were going on at once. It was a really fun act to watch. Another thing I enjoyed was the way the easel matched the wall in Acts One and Four. La Bohėme was a fun and interesting experience, and I can’t wait to see the next opera!
Elisabeth, Grade 7, Mount Rushmore Homeschoolers said…
I really enjoyed my second opera, La Boheme. My favorite parts were Acts Two and Four. However, the crowd was a little noisy throughout the opera and sometimes I couldn't hear the performers. Other than that, though, the opera was really great, and the characters were played well. If future operas are as good as this one, I will definitely come back!
Anonymous said…
Brandon Wallick 11th Grade
Bristol High School

The other night was my first opea and I would see another. I used the book but I didn't show my parents.

I enjoyed everything about the opera. It was a very good experience as junior. It was different from a regular movie or a musical. I also like how the pictures corresponded and how they would change. It was a little confusing of how they spoke in italian but, the big screen helped a lot on translating it. The sets and customs were really nice as well. My favorite character was Roldofo he played his part really well. I will come back to another opera.
Maurice said…
My name is Maurice from Bristol im in 11th grade this was my first time at the oprea. I would like to see another opera it was a good experience for my first time. I like how the stage would change from scene to scene. My parents didn't see the workbook and we used the workbook in italian class to help verify what was going on
Anonymous said…
My name is Daniel Snyder, I'm an eleventh grader at Bristol High School, and this was my first time at an opera. The opera i saw was La Boheme, and I would absolutely like to see another opera. I did use the workbook before seeing the opera, and it was very useful. My parents did not see the workbook because they were not interested. But i loved it, and that's all that matters!
Anonymous said…
My name is Pete Muccie from Bristol High. This was my first opera. It was an outstanding time. It had all the elements that any good show needs. The costumes and set were outstanding.

I would like to see another opera.
I did use the workbook.
I did not show my parents the workbook.
Sam Pedrick said…
Hi my name is Sam Pedrick. This was my first time ever experiencing an opera. I thought that the opera was going to be kind of bland, but it was actually very enjoyable. I enjoyed the singing a lot and the great acting of the characters. My favorite character in the opera would probably have to be Rodolfo. I felt that his acting was very realistic and that he sang with a great amount of emotion. Lastly, I fell that the setting and costumes really completed the opera. The costumes looked as if they came from the time period. The backrounds and effects made each scene feel realistic. I enjoyed the opera and hope to go again next year.

1.) This is my first time at the opera.

2.)I would like to see another opera.

3.)I did use the work book.

4.)I didn't show my parents the work book.
Anonymous said…
Brenna Stephenson,Grade 11, Bristol High School.

La Boheme was the first opera I have seen and I would love to se another one. We did use the workbooks and I did show it to my parents. The building was beautiful and I loved how much detail was put into the decoration inside. I really liked the way they portrayed the street scene outside of Cafe Momus. My favorite characters were Musetta and Rodolfo. Musetta's role was portrayed very well. The actress had a beautiful voice and I think she was a wonderful actress. Rodolfo's voice was amazing! He was such a great singer. I would say he was the best actor in the show. I really liked how they used perspective to make the stage appear larger. The costumes were so beautiful; especially the women's dresses. Overall the opera was amazing and I loved it.
Anonymous said…
Nicole Rivera. Grade 11. Bristol High School.

This was my first time at the opera.
I would like to see another opera!
I have used the workbook.
I have showed my parents the workbook.

Since it was my first time at the opera I didn't know what to expect. But I honestly loved it! First of all, the building was amazingly beautiful and the performance was a lot better than I thought. I liked the outfits and the singing. The singing was impressive, especially because there were no microphones involved. I also liked the way the paintings changed and corresponded with what was going on in the play. The only thing I did not like was that I forgot my glasses and the subtitles were blurry. But that was my fault. My favorite singer was 100% Musetta! Her singing and the songs were my favorite of the whole opera. Although Musetta was my favorite singer, my favorite character was the little boy in Act 2 with the tiny flag. He was adorable! The set were beautiful too. Overall, it was an amazing experience.
Anonymous said…
My name is James I came with Bristol High-School and this was my first time at an Opera. It was such a wonderful experience, it was nothing like I had expected. My favorite part was act 2 when they were at Momus. The continous flow of music was absolutely beautiful. Overall it was an exciting and memorable experience.
karenciavo said…
Hello, my name is Ethan, and I am in 5th grade. I attended the opera with the LEARN homeschool group.
I really enjoyed it, my favorite part was Act 4.
It was really serious and it got funny at the end with Marcello and Musetta. My least favorite part was Act 2, because it didn't expand the plot much.
Thank you for allowing us to participate.
Anonymous said…
Hi,
My name is Jaylynn and i attended the La Boheme opera with the Mount Rushmore Homeschoolers. My favorite thing about the opera was the impressive props and stage setting. It was very interesting to see and set the mood right! I also really enjoyed the comedy throughout the opera and the singing. My least favorite thing was the long scene changes and waiting and when Rodolfo screaming for Mimi when she died..so sad! This is my first opera and looking forward to seeing many more!
Julia 5th grade Mount Rushmore said…
My name is Julia. I went to La boheme with Mount Rushmore Homeschoolers. I liked the paintings and how they moved. I also thought the circus stuff was really cool. If I had to say something I didn't like it would be parts where there was just singing and not much action. But I still liked it and I am looking foward to the next opera! Thank you for a great time!
Rachel, age 13, 8th grade, Mount Rushmore. said…
Hi! My name is Rachel Ricci.
I came with Mont Rushmore homeshcoolers and it was awesome!
Each year they get better and better! the sets were amazing! You could tell all work they put in to them, so much detaill, not just the amazing moving art work, or the relistice and beutifull snow, but the sensaition of depthe created to make the stage look bigger. Also, the actors were great, as were there voice, and I can't wait till next year!
Thanks for the opportunity!!!
Walter McDonald said…
Walter McDonald
Grade 5
Mount Rushmore Homeschoolers

My favorite part of LaBoheme was act 2. There was so much to see and I really liked that. The fire breather and the man on stilts were so cool. I liked seeing kids on the stage. I was wishing I was on stage with them. I liked that there were some funny parts in this opera. It helped me not feel so sad about Mimi.
The moving art was really awesome. I really liked seeing the stars moving on the starry night picture. I missed the lady winking. The snow scene was so cool.
I went to 3 operas so far and this was my favorite. I understood this one so much better because we read it out loud with our class.
The thing I really didn't like was how loud the crowd was. I understood it during act 2 because of all of the comedy and excitement, but there were times it was frustrating.
Devon said…
My name is Devon, and I am in 12th grade at the Academy of Notre Dame. Overall, I loved the opera! The set was incredible, and I loved the incorporation of the artwork. I thought it was very helpful in the characterization of each character as well as in adding more color and life to the set. Despite the fact that La Bohème is a tragedy that is packed with emotional music and lyrics, it was quite funny. I enjoyed the manner in which each actor portrayed his or her character. I found the entire opera to be very entertaining. Thank you for doing such an excellent job with La Bohème!
Devon said…
My name is Devon, and I am in 12th grade at the Academy of Notre Dame. Overall, I loved the opera! The set was incredible, and I loved the incorporation of the artwork. I thought it was very helpful in the characterization of each character as well as in adding more color and life to the set. Despite the fact that La Bohème is a tragedy that is packed with emotional music and lyrics, it was quite funny. I enjoyed the manner in which each actor portrayed his or her character. I found the entire opera to be very entertaining. Thank you for doing such an excellent job with La Bohème!
Lindsey Santerian, Grade 12, Academy of Notre Dame said…
I saw the La Boheme performance with the Academy of Notre Dame de Namur. I thought the performance was amazing and each act was depicted almost perfectly according to the opera booklet. The stage settings were decorated beautifully and helped create the mood each scene was supposed to present. Along with the setting, the performers were great as well. The only thing that I did not enjoy was the random clapping from the audience in the middle of scenes. Other than that, the show was spectacular!
Anonymous said…
My name is Rachel F. and I am a senior at the Academy of Notre Dame. I really liked the screen on the art easel that was used in Acts I and IV. I liked how it corresponded with the scenes on the main set, but I also liked how it incorporated modern technology into an opera that is set many years ago. I especially liked in Act IV when the couch with the lady that was displayed on both digital screens looked almost identical to Mimi. This shows tremendous attention to detail on the part of the costume and set designers, which is part of the reason why the opera was so interesting to watch.
Courtney said…
My name is Courtney and I am a senior at Notre Dame Academy. I had a great experience of the opera. Overall, I felt that the most impressive attribute of the opera was the relationship between the music and the art pieces that were displayed on stage. The art pieces actually moved and changed shape in perfect rhythm with the musical beat. One art piece that stood out to me as particularly beautiful was Van Gough’s “A Starry Night” because the swirls of the wind seemed to elegantly move throughout the sky in perfect rhythm. When a painting of a woman was on display, the woman in the portrait subtly winked at one point, which I found clever.
I also thought the Opera did an excellent job of costumes. The costumes really allowed the audience to understand the characters. For example, Mimi’s dresses were always simple, yet beautiful which gave insight into her poor background. The audience could infer that she was not as lavish as say, Musetta, who wore glamorous gowns throughout the performance. The Opera Company also did a nice job of allowing the paintings to match the mood of the opera as well as the costumes. At the final scene of the opera when Mimi is dying, she was in a blue dress lying in a red couch, almost mimicking the painting that was on display, which also depicted a woman in a blue dress on a red couch.
The aspect of the opera that most moved me was the music, specifically “ Me chiamano Mimi”. Because this song reoccurred throughout the opera, I was able to start to become familiar with music. Although I had heard a few songs before going to the opera, hearing it live really allowed the story to seem more real.
Courtney said…
My name is Courtney and I am a senior at Notre Dame. I had a great experience of the opera. Overall, I felt that the most impressive attribute of the opera was the relationship between the music and the art pieces that were displayed on stage. The art pieces actually moved and changed shape in perfect rhythm with the musical beat. One art piece that stood out to me as particularly beautiful was Van Gough’s “A Starry Night” because the swirls of the wind seemed to elegantly move throughout the sky in perfect rhythm. When a painting of a woman was on display, the woman in the portrait subtly winked at one point, which I found clever.
I also thought the Opera did an excellent job of costumes. The costumes really allowed the audience to understand the characters. For example, Mimi’s dresses were always simple, yet beautiful which gave insight into her poor background. The audience could infer that she was not as lavish as say, Musetta, who wore glamorous gowns throughout the performance. The Opera Company also did a nice job of allowing the paintings to match the mood of the opera as well as the costumes. At the final scene of the opera when Mimi is dying, she was in a blue dress lying in a red couch, almost mimicking the painting that was on display, which also depicted a woman in a blue dress on a red couch.
The aspect of the opera that most moved me was the music, specifically “ Me chiamano Mimi”. Because this song reoccurred throughout the opera, I was able to start to become familiar with music. Although I had heard a few songs before going to the opera, hearing it live really allowed the story to seem more real.
Rachael said…
Hello, my name is Rachael and I attended La Boheme with the Mt. Rushmore Homeschool group. My favorite part was Act 4. It was funny, dramatic and sad. My least favorite part was Act 1. It was slower than the rest of the opera. Overall, I enjoyed this opera very much.
Thank you for letting us come and see things like this.
Marissa said…
My name is Marissa and I attended La Boheme with the Mt. Rushmore Homeschoolers. I really liked Act 2 because of all the performers. The fire breather was really cool. I also liked Act 4 because it was interesting.
My least favorite was Act 3 because the part outside in the snow was a little slow.
Thank you for letting us see this opera. It is my favorite one I have seen.
Anonymous said…
Raven 9th grader
Archbishop Wood HS
What I liked about the Opera was that we had really good seats and the actors were very talented, they seemed to enjoy doing what they do best, performing. What I didn't like about the opera was that the story it told was a little bit confusing to me, even with the English caption I was a little lost but had an idea of the main problem. Overall, I had fun and it was a great experience.
Anonymous said…
Henrique 9th grader
Archbishop Wood HS

I really like the seats we got in the play because from those seats we got to see everything that was going on stage and because it was easy to see and read the subtitles on the projector on top of the stage. I liked everything in the play and nothing actually disappointed me. The play was wonderful as were the seats and the bus ride there and the bus ride back, the only bad thing was the traffic but everything else was wonderful.
Anonymous said…
Lena 9th grader
Archbishop Wood HS

What I thought of the opera.
I liked it and the only think I didn't like was how long the bus ride was and I liked it because it was a good experience.
Lindsey Santerian, Grade 12, Academy of Notre Dame said…
I attended the opera with the Academy of Notre Dame de Namur. I thought the show was amazing and was almost in perfect accordance with the opera booklet. The scene decorations were amazing and the beautifully depicted the mood each scene presented. Along with the setting, the performers were great as well. The only thing I did not enjoy was the random clapping from the audience in the middle of scenes. Other than that, I thought the show was spectacular!
Anonymous said…
Hi, my name is Heather. I very much enjoyed this opera. It was easy to follow and even comical at times. I absolutely loved the special effects like the paintings and the moving backdrops. It gave everything life and made it more fun to watch. The scenes in the cafe and town were my favorite to watch because there was a lot going on and the music was fun. I really liked this opera and I can't wait to come back soon and see another.
Madeline S. said…
Hello, my name is Madeline S. and I am a senior at Notre Dame. The final dress rehearsal of La Bohème provided me with a whole new appreciation of opera. Because of the fantastic acting, the centuries between the year the opera is set and the modern day felt nearly nonexistent, and the audience was able to draw very personal connections with the characters. Mimi and Rodolfo’s romance was quite believable, something that many productions fail to achieve. Musetta was also highly entertaining, and her relationship with Marcello served as an excellent contrast with Mimi and Rodolfo’s relationship. The Impressionist artwork was particularly well incorporated into the story, and I was especially mesmerized by the way it was projected to move across the canvases, providing a very lifelike quality to works that we typically only see hanging stagnantly in museums. Every line was sung with such feeling and emotion, each character so fully embodied by the actor that I could not help but be drawn into the wonderful experience of La Bohème.
Anonymous said…
I really enjoyed going to the opera for the third year in a row, La Boheme was so good. I continuously found parallels to "Rent" and since I love that musical, I knew I'd really like La Boheme. The performance as a whole was fantastic, the actors and actresses didn't miss a beat. I especially enjoyed Rodolfo goofing off and having fun with his friends. I also really liked how it wasn't an entirely depressing opera like the other ones I've seen. Overall I really enjoyed the show!
Gina Correale
Grade 11
Archbishop Wood High School
Anonymous said…
Noelle 9th grader
Archbishop Wood HS

La Boheme was the first opera I attended. When I first found out that we would be seeing an opera, I figured that we would be sitting in our seats for two whole, tiresome hours with nothing to do-- but I was wrong. My school had fantastic seats, so it was great seeing everything up close. To me, what made the opera enjoyable was the humor that was incorporated into it.
I thought the actors and actresses worked very well together and seemed comfortable together on the stage. All in all, it was a good trip and I would most likely go back another time.
Alexis said…
Alexis
9th Grade
Hi, my name is Alexis and I attended the La Bohème opera with my school, Archbishop Wood. I had a lot of fun at the opera! It was a great experience. It was a beautiful love story and the singing was amazing. The only complaint I could have was that the english translation of the words were at the top of the stage. I was starring at the top of the stage instead of watching the opera. Maybe putting the translation at the bottom of the stage would help more. Thank You for the experience though, it was great!
Hi my name is Mackenzie and I went to see the Opera, La Boheme. Going to see the Opera was one of the greatest experiences in my life. There were so many interesting things I saw, some of them were while they were singing and talking in Italian, they had the words they were saying on the top of the stage. Another interesting thing was their costumes, It completly captured the time they were in. The actors completly understood and played their characters so well. Another thing was their voices, It was amazing. I have never heard anything like that in my life. It was so exciting and I hope I get the opportunity to go again!
Anonymous said…
My name is Nick and I saw the opera with the Italian class at Archbishop Wood. I liked the performance of La Boheme, and I found it to be an enjoyable cultural experience. It was also the first opera that I have been to. The performers sang very well, and the subtitles helped to make it more understandable. The use of expressions and gestures also added emphasis and made it more dramatic. The set was very realistic. It was nice that my class got front row seats, and the entire performance had a crisp, clear sound and a great view. We were so close that when the torches were lit, I could feel the heat on my face. I also like how colorful the parade scene was. Overall, the performance was great. Thank you to the Opera Company for inviting us for free.
Unknown said…
Taya 9th Grader
ArchBishop Wood HS

I really liked going to the opera it was a very good experience and we had really good seats to see everything closely. The actors were very good at their job and seemed like they love what they do. The only thing i didn't like was i couldn't really pay attention to the opera because the caption were on the top of the stage.
Unknown said…
Hey im Evan and i go to Archbishop Wood and iI very much enjoyed La Boheme. I have always loved Rent and i found the original version of the story captivating. I thought the performance was spectacular. The projections added a new dimension to the opera that really helped to engage the audience. Also the few bits of comedy interspersed throughout the show were great especially because they weren't overused
Jacquelyn Valori said…
My name is Jacquelyn and I am a senior at Archbishop Wood. I have attended the Opera Company's final dress rehearsals since my freshman year when we saw La Triviata. This has been my favorite opera by far! It was so enticing and entertaining throughout all four acts. It easily kept my attention. I found the backdrops especially stunning; they were unlike anything I had ever seen before. The performers were amazing as well. There was overly frequent applause from the audience, but that is understandable at such a great show. I hope I can find a way to return for the show next year even though I will be at college because the Opera Company always puts on such magical performances. I also really enjoyed how the experience was made interactive with the encouragement of tweeting while the curtain was down. It was very cool to see the Opera Company respond to my tweets throughout the show!
Anonymous said…
Emma 9th Grader
ArchBishop Wood HS

My name is Emma and La Boheme was the first opera performance that I have ever attended. I liked it and thought that it was a great experience. The actors did a great job at performing and I thought it was amazing. What i didn't like was that I couldn't watch the play and what they were doing as much, because I would have to look at the translations. The thing about it was that they were high above the stage, so while reading it, you couldn't see what was going on.
Anonymous said…
Hi my name is Teresa and I am a freshman at Archbishop Wood HS. The opera was just amazing! I loved everything about it! The actors were amazing they stayed in character really well and their expressions and reactions were just so so good! It was my first time every being at the Opera Company and I loved it! You guys wowed me! Number one the place is amazing! From the huge beautiful pillars to the breath taking stage. The balcony seats were also very very cool! I loved all the decoration and the amazing paintings on the ceiling! It was so cool to just stand there and take it all in. We had great seats! They were basically front rows. I could see everything and the captions helped so much. The opera was funny, sad, happy, energetic, and very interesting. I loved all the characters specifically the little chubby boy who marched with the parade and kept getting pushed around. He was very funny. Along with the mothers who were yelling at all the kids were really good. Some other of my favorite parts were in the market with the fire breather and the acrobats and the circus people. Everything about that scene was really good! There was a lot of movement which I like. Everything was happening all at once. Another thing I liked was all the effects on the screens and the old apartment was too cool! I loved how abstract it looked with the slatted ceiling and the rusty looking chandelier. The moving pictures were also so cool they just helped the whole thing seem so real. It seriously felt like a movie when the people in the market did that slow motion scene off and on. It was really cool and they did a great job! I would most defiantly go back. Hopefully I will attend if we do it again next year! It was a great experience, loved the story, and everything was amazing.
Megan DiGuiseppe, Grade 12 Academy of Notre Dame said…
Hello, my name is Megan DiGuiseppe and I saw the opera with my school, the Academy of Notre Dame. Overall, I thought the performance was amazing and full of extremely talented actors and actresses! I found the plot very easy to follow due to the opera booklets we received, and this made the experience very enjoyable. My favorite part of the opera was the stage props and settings. I enjoyed how the pictures on the easel and the wall corresponded to the mood of the current scene. The producers paid close attention to details and this was why the opera was so exciting to watch!
Juliana G said…
My name is Juliana and I attended the opera with my highschool, the Academy of Notre Dame. Overall, I really enjoyed La Boheme. At first I was not sure if I was going to like an opera; however, I was instantly pleasantly surprised to find the opposite. The set was just impeccable from the incorporated artwork to the lighting and colors. My favorite part about it was during act III when it was winter. The set looked amazing and I loved the fake snow falling from the sky. The opera had great acting and vocals. I am so happy I got the opportunity to see this opera and I hope to see another in the future!
Maddie Monaco- Grade 12, Academy of Notre Dame said…
My name is Maddie, I am a senior at the Academy of Notre Dame and I had the privilege of attending the final dress rehearsal of La Bohéme. Initially, I had believed that the art in opera was solely based on singing; however, the fantastic breath of mediums of art that was incorporated in the opera was marvelous and captivating! Not only did the projected Impressionistic artwork add a beautiful backdrop and a feel for the general time period, but it also helped to add drama to each scene as the pieces were chosen perfectly to fit each scenario. The stage illusion was like nothing I had ever seen before in opera, or even theatre for that matter! There was obvious, praise-worthy art in the stage, stage directions, costumes, lighting, and of course in the actor's voices and outstanding acting skills. The actors and actresses excelled in each role and made me become fully engaged in their characters as though I had known them my whole life. My perception of opera has defiantly been altered for the better and I am so grateful to the Opera Company, great performance!
Anonymous said…
My name is Darcy and I am in twelfth grade at the Academy of Notre Dame. I have seen one other opera other than La Bohéme; however, I must say that this one was my favorite of the two. I found myself completely invested in the characters during the entire opera, and I also found it very interesting. I thought that the actors did an amazing job portraying their characters. I also thought the music was fantastic and that all of the artists are very talented. Seeing La Bohéme definitely changed my opinion on opera. I used to not enjoy it; however, I have come to a new appreciation of it and find it very interesting now.
Tracey M said…
Hi! My name is Tracey and I am a 12th grader at the Academy of Notre Dame. I really enjoyed the Opera. The art realled added to the 19th century Paris setting. Some effects, such as the fake snow and the fire breather, were not written in the booklet, so they plesantly surprised me. Overall, I found the actors playing the main characters to be very good have alot of chemistry with each other. In particular, the actors for Mimi and Rodolfo were excellent. Their voices were breathtaking. I can only imagine how difficult it is to sing such high notes for an entire show. The orchestra was very good. I would have never known that it was a dress rehersal if no one had told me so! I also really liked the costumes. What a fantastic job!
Emily R said…
My name is Emily R., and I am in 12th grade at the Academy of Notre Dame. I loved La Bohème! The sets were fantastic, and I especially liked the digital screens on stage that showed some of the artwork from that time period. It was a nice addition, and I loved seeing the pictures fade out to new ones as the scenes and atmospheres changed. My particular favorite was the last picture and seeing Mimi in the same dress! All of the performers were fantastic, and I loved how the costumes reflected the characters, such as Mimi’s much simpler dresses and Musetta’s more complex and fancy ensemble. La Bohème was very entertaining to watch, and I am glad I had the opportunity to see this.
Caitlin Jozwiak said…
Hi my name is Caitlin Jozwiak. I am a senior at the Academy of Notre Dame. Having the opportunity to see La Boheme was truly amazing. The various pieces of artwork interjected into the scenery added a nice interactive feature. I enjoyed the tableau created with the sunflowers and how Mimi's silk flowers matched Picasso's ever famous image. The painting of the woman on the couch was also a nice coordination. I noticed that Mimi dress matched that of the woman's in the painting. I did feel that that particular image was displayed a bit too long. Since the same image was projected so long coupled with the quiet movement of the characters on stage created a static scene.
The humorous elements within the plot added a lightness. It was a nice opposition to the impeding death of Mimi.
I did not like the segment of the stage the was movable. I understand it emphasized the change of scenery, but I think it should have only been used for that reason. Marcello and other characters were transported on it and I felt that that took away from the realistic aspects of the performance. It was successful when used for Musetta's character. It showed just how grand and extravagant she really is.
Overall, La Boheme was a fabulous experience that opened my eyes to teh joys of the opera. Thank you for hosting us students!
Sara Sheridan, Grade 12, Academy of Notre Dame said…
Not to sound totally cliche, but I genuinely enjoyed every part of this production of La Boheme. Everything from the costumes to the cast to the technology all came together to make this experience truly unforgettable. The aspect of the performance that stood out to me the most though was the aforementioned technology. When I found out that art was going to be used throughout the show, I honestly had no idea what to expect. Whatever ambiguous expectation I had was shortly blown out of the water by the incredible incorporation of both classic art pieces and technology. Instead of taking away from the general affect of the show (as sometimes modernization does) this implementation, in my opinion, added to it and gave the performance a fresh spin. It was neither overly done nor underplayed. Each piece was evidently chosen very carefully and threaded into the libretto and blocking seamlessly. Bravo, and I'd love to see more performances like this!
Anonymous said…
My name is Joseph and I am from Archbishop Wood Grade 12. My favorite part was the beginning of the second act when all of the actors were on stage performing the song. The two actors I remember are the Fire man and the Stilt Woman. The worst part of the Opera was the intermisions and the length of the opera. The opera was too long I think and it should be shortened, but the opera did a fantastic job of keeping entertained for that long. The opera was also very funny which was different then previous operas.
Maggie O'Reilly, Grade 12, Academy of Notre Dame de Namur said…
My name is Maggie and I am in 12th grade at The Academy of Notre Dame de Namur. Overall, this production of La Boheme exceeded my expectations. I found this production to be incredibly funny, something that was definitely welcome during a tragic story. I thought that the set and the interchangeable paintings really added to the atmosphere of the show as a whole, and helped develop the characters even more so. The opera singers were fantastic and I really enjoyed my time at this production of La Boheme!
Anonymous said…
Hi, my name is Sarah Maloney and I am a senior from the Academy of Notre Dame. This was my second time attending an opera and I loved the performance of La Boheme. The singers who portrayed the main characters were exceptional and really added to the performance as a whole. After, seeing this opera acted out on stage, I was able to understand it more and felt that it meant more to me because I could feel the emotions that were being portrayed and could connect to the actors. I’m glad my school went to see this and would definitely go see another opera.

Kristin Y, Grade 12, Academy of Notre Dame said…
My name is Kristin and I attended La Boheme with my high school, The Academy of Notre Dame. I really enjoyed this opera production and found it to be engaging and interesting. The booklet that we received before coming to the performance was very helpful and allowed me to follow the plot easily and enjoy the other aspects of the opera more thoroughly. My favorite part of the opera was the animated art that was displayed on the wall and the canvas. It helped to give the audience a better sense of the location and mood of the scene and was a creative way to use artwork from the impressionist period. Overall the opera was wonderful and I am looking forward to having the opportunity to see another opera in the future!
Anna G., Academy of Notre Dame, Grade 12 said…
Hello, my name is Anna and I am in 12th grade at the Academy of Notre Dame. I recently attended the dress rehearsal of La Boheme and really enjoyed the experience. I especially liked the characters of Mimi and Marcello. Their voices were incredible and really conveyed the love and passion behind their relationship. I also loved the incorporation of art into the opera. I really like how the paintings on stage reflected onto the background of the set because it helped to convey the mood of the scene. I also thought that the special effects were amazing. I liked how the fake snow fell from the celing during a winter scene. Overall, I had a great experience at experience at the opera.
Caroline said…
Hi, my name is Caroline M. and I am a senior at the Academy of Notre Dame. I really enjoyed the opera overall. I thought the sets were particularly beautiful. The incorporation of artwork into the production really added to the performance, in my opinion. I found them really helpful in setting the mood for each scene. I also thought that the acting was superb. The actors really were able to convey each of their character's traits and feelings well. Even though I had learned about the characters and the plot before seeing the opera live, I still found the humor to be funny and the tragedy to be moving. Overall, I thought La Boheme was fantastic. Thank you for such a great performance!
Rachel Rubino, Academy of Notre Dame, Grade 12 said…
Hello, my name is Rachel Rubino. I am a senior at the Academy of Notre Dame. Watching "La Bohème" was a truly wonderful experience, and I became far more engaged in the opera than I had originally anticipated. I was especially impressed by the beautiful artwork that effortlessly glided across the backdrop throughout each scene. I was excited to recognize famous Impressionist paintings. As each picture correlated with its current scene, I gained both insight and new viewpoints of paintings that I have long held dear to my heart. Reading parts of the script before watching the actual performance, I was expecting the character of Musetta to be overbearing and arrogant. Ironically, Musetta ended up being my favorite character. Leah Partridge performed fantastically. Her coquettish yet heartfelt portrayal of the character left me both laughing and crying. I would also like to compliment the voices of each actor and actress, and the symphonies of the orchestra as a whole. The harmonic blend of the sounds of each instrument and their accompanying librettos was enchanting. Although I do not speak Italian, I still appreciated the rhythmic patterns the language made with each beat. Overall, I had an amazing experience. I would like to thank the Opera Company of Philadelphia for so graciously hosting my school!
Katie said…
Hi,
My name is Katie R. and I am a student at the Academy of Notre Dame. I thought the opera was amazing. All the actors and actress's deserve another round of applause for their outstanding performances. The performers were very developed and had a spectacular show! Not only were the performers great, but also the stage set up was awesome. I loved the technical aspect of the play. How the art on the screen changed as the play progressed. The best was the finial scene when Mimi is laying on the couch and when she dies her picture disappears. It gave a whole new visually stimulating dimension to the play. I believe this technical aspect blended very well with the overall vibe of the play. The play was about artistic young people who live in the Latin Quarter in Paris. The ever-changing painting really put the audience into the setting and gave a great background to the play. Overall this play was wonderful. I would definitely recommend it to my friends and if I had the opportunity I would see it again! Thank you for such a great evening.
Sara M, Acadmey of Notre Dame said…
The Opera Company of Philadelphia’s production of La Boheme was very well executed. The inclusion of artistic elements, especially the scenery, added to my overall opera experience. I enjoyed the incorporation of the digital images of famous works of art, especially Van Gogh’s Starry Night, as well as the pieces of artwork shown during Mimi’s death. Starry Night helped to fully depict Mimi’s love for Rodolfo, and the darker paintings toward the end of Act IV showed the devastation of Mimi’s illness. I would recommend this opera to all, due to the enjoyable music, art, and costumes.
Leah B. said…
I'm Leah B. and I was fortunate enough to see the opera with my school, The Academy of Notre Dame. I really enjoyed seeing the opera, especially the sets. I had never experienced the incorporation of technology into the performing arts like I did at this performance. It was really amazing, and added a lot to the show, for me. Also, I found that the performers were extremely talented, not only in their singing abilities, but in their ability to make us all laugh and cry in the span of a few hours. My favorite scene was the winter scene with Mimi, Rodolfo, and Marcello. The set in that scene was beautiful and I loved how well the performers portrayed the emotions of the characters at that point. I was overall very pleased with the performance, and I would love to come back to see another show!
Claire said…
My name is Claire and I am from the Academy of Notre Dame. Before going to see this opera, we did a lot of background at school on it. I thought this really helped because did not have to pay attention to the subtitles that much because I already knew what was going on. I really enjoyed Act 2 when there was so much singing and dancing in the street. I thought this added a different element to an already really good opera. It was nice to see something original added. I thought the use of the Barnes Foundation’s paintings was a really cool concept and I thought they were nicely integrated into the opera. Overall, I had a really enjoyable time.
Barb said…
Hi,

My name is Barb and I am from the Academy of Notre Dame. My favorite scene from La Boheme is Act II in the Latin Quarters in Paris. All the actors were present in this scene and I was able to see them interact with one another. It was also the scene in which Musetta was introduced. She made a huge presence and caused quite a scene. I learned a lot about her character from this scene. This particular scene was exciting because there was so much going on within it. Musetta was trying to get Marcello's attention, but Alcindoro was still in the picture. The actors did a terrific job in this scene.
Anonymous said…
My name is Tessine M. and I'm a senior at the Academy of Notre Dame de Namur. My favorite part about your production of La Boheme is by far the art incorporated into it. All the paintings that gave the set background was so creative and felt as though they really fit the scene they were paired with. The manipulation of the paintings was also really cool, I remember there was a painting of a woman and I am not entirely sure whether it was suppose to be Musetta or Mimi but I remember it winked at one point, which demonstrated the specific character's feelings at the time. Lastly, I really enjoyed how the screen displayed snow just before Rodolfo and Mimi decide they will remain together until springtime. Although digital, it seemed very real and seemed to fit the opera perfectly.
Unknown said…
My favorite part of the opera was when Mimi and Rodolfo. Act two was obviously the most exciting and lively part of the opera. My only critique is that sometimes it's hard to see who is who on the stage, or find what the audience is laughing at or looking at. Other than that, I look forward to seeing more of these great plays!
Jenny from Studio for Strings said…
I'm very grateful for the chance to see the opera. I was intrigued by the singers' voices, which were at all times very intense. However, it seemed to me that they were always at the same intensity. Grief sounded the same as excitement which sounded the same as joy. I found it necessary to see the characters' body language and to follow the plot to discern what emotion they were portraying. For this reason, I was most affected when the characters stopped singing and simply spoke at the end of the opera. The stark contrast from the constant singing shocked me and had a stronger emotional effect than any aria.
Anonymous said…
Annina D'Andrea
Archbishop Wood High School, Grade 9.
I really enjoyed the performance. The actors, costumes, music, and the over all experience were phenomenal. Although the ending was sad, the story line was intriguing and kept my attention throughout the whole show. The translations across the top of the stage helped a lot with understanding what was going on. La Boheme was my first opera I have ever seen, but I would love to see another one.
Anonymous said…
Hi,
My name is Adrienne and I saw the La Boheme opera with the Mount Rushmore Homeschoolers. My favorite thing about this opera was Act 4 because it was so dramatic. What I liked least was Act 3 because there wasn't really a lot going on.

This was my fourth opera and I really enjoyed it, but I didn't like the fact that there were groups there that were clapping when they weren't supposed to. It was very inconsiderate. Other than that it was a great experience!
Alexis F. said…
Hi,

My name is Alexis F., and I saw La Boheme with the Quidnesset Point Homeschool group.

The first thought that entered my head when I stepped into the glamorous theater was, “This has got to be the most beautiful place I have ever seen!” After watching La Boheme, I was as pleased with the show as I was the architecture, if not more. The actors and actresses were exquisite in their performance; and the paintings, especially Starry Night by Van Gogh, brought the opera to life. One of my favorite parts was when one of the paintings of a woman winked at the audience. La Boheme was a truly amazing experience that captured my attention from the very beginning, and I would love to see it again!
Danielle F. said…
My name is Danielle F., and I saw this performance with the Quidnesset Point Homeschool group.
La Boheme was my first opera, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I found it to be extremely entertaining! The actors were funny, animated, and talented singers. Although I had studied the guide beforehand, I was glad there were also captions since many jokes would have been lost if not for the captions. I really liked the set designs, which incorporated famous art pieces, including Van Gogh’s “Starry Night.” I loved the special effects, too, like when the stars in the painting lit up, and one of the portraits winked at the audience. My favorite scene was when the characters were in town, celebrating Christmas- the whole scene was fun and very engaging. Overall, La Boheme was an incredible opera, and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to see it. Thank you!
Ian said…
I had never attended an opera before La Bohème, and I went in not knowing what to expect. Reading the translated Italian in the booklet seemed over the top and unrealistic, but the actors made it come to life with emotion. The subtitles were barely even necessary because of their power to express themselves.
Unknown said…
Hi,
My name is Peter and I attended the opera with the Archbishop Wood High School group. My favorite scene was in Act One when they first met. Both of them had an outstanding performance. I would difinitely go back to see it again.
Anonymous said…
Hello! I'm Katie and I am part of the Quidnessett Point Honeschool group. One of my favorite things about the opera was how the impressionist paintings were re-created with the actors. I thought that it was really cool and I applaud the person who came up with that idea. Bravo!
Anonymous said…
By Emme Pallante/Pallante Homeschool Group - I saw La Boheme with the Pallante Homeschool group. I really liked this opera. The Cunning Little Vixen used to be my favorite, now my favorite is La Boheme. I really loved Act Two, because it was like a circus. The fire breather was cool. There was so much to look at. My favorite character was Musetta, because she was funny and threw her shoes. The costumes were beautiful, especially the ballet dancers costumes, which looked like a Degas painting. The best part of the set was all the art work that they used in the background. I recognized some Monet paintings and some Van Gogh paintings. My mom and I used the workbook before the opera and really learned a lot. We loved listening the music. My dogs love the music also and like to fall asleep to opera singing. Thanks you Sounds of Learning!!!
Anonymous said…
Hello, my name is Keyra Williams and I am 16 years old. I came to La Boheme with the Quidnessett Point Homeschool group.

My experience at the opera was spectacular. The people there are very nice and respectful. I loved the opera because of the relationship between the characters and how they interacted with each other. My favorite singer was Norah Amsellem. I think Norah is a very talented performer she is able to connect with the character she is playing. I liked the costumes of the opera in how they were simple yet elegant. I also thought the set of the opera where- the background changed was absolutely genius. The pictures portrayed the scenes very well.
Anonymous said…
Hello, my name is Elyse Williams and I am 13 years old. I came to La Boheme with the Quidnessett Point Homeschool group.

My experience at the opera was wonderful. I thought the opera was very well put together. I really enjoyed the story. The actors were excellent in their portrayal of the characters in the opera. For instance, when Rodolfo found out Mimi was dead his reaction was very believable with the crying and the yelling. I like how the stage was set up. It was very nicely done. I like the fact that there were not a lot of props onstage with the actors because it helped me to be able to concentrate on what the actors were doing. I like how the background showed paintings. It made it look very beautiful.

My favorite character was Marcello. He was funny and serious when needed. I also liked the costumes. They were very well made and realistic. I really liked Mimi's dress. It fits her very nicely and the dress made her look beautiful. I loved the opera!
Anonymous said…
Hello, my name is Bryce Williams and I am 17 years old. I came to La Boheme with the Quidnessett Point Homeschool group. The opera was very good. It was funny and emotionally stimulating. The actors were amazing and did a very good job. They were very believable in portraying their characters.

I have no real complaints. The effects were astounding and the music utterly amazing, I would definitely like to go again if given that chance. I love all the characters and actors due to the fact they all did an amazing job at playing their roles which really pulled me into the story.
Anonymous said…
Hello, my name is Arianna Williams and I am 14 years old. I came to La Boheme with the Quidnessett Point Homeschool group.

My experience at the opera was astonishing, astounding, awe-inspiring, awesome, breathtaking, confounding, extraordinary, fabulous, fantastic, and incredible as always. I didn’t dislike anything about the opera, really. I thought everything was striking. I absolutely loved the opera house, it’s always so beautiful when I go, and the music is often very delightful. My favorite singer and actress there was the woman who played Musetta, Leah Patridge; she was pleasing to listen to, and she had a way of attracting attention to herself when she entered the stage and I liked the way she acted out her character, the way she developed an air of arrogance, which her character portrayed. I really liked the sets and costumes, they were very appealing, beauteous, charming, elegant, and tasteful. The set was also very realistic and cool. I liked the paintings and the simplicity of it all.

Anonymous said…
I am Olivia, a student of Studio for Strings. I was deeply impressed by the performance. I loved the third act in the streets of Paris. It portrayed the bustling city in a whimsical, fun way. All of the singing was magnificent, but I noticed that Mimi's voice was sometimes softer than the others. This added to her sickly appearance and enhanced the performance. I greatly enjoyed La Boheme.
Monica said…
hi my name is monica and i came to la boheme with mount rushmore homeschoolers and my favorite act was act everything! i loved all the pictures and my favorite was starry night i thought it was really pretty. and i liked all the snow and thier house. but i thought it was a little annoying when some of the other groups were noisy and clapped too much. but other than that it was a great expirience and a great opera!
Anonymous said…
I attended the opera with Studio for Strings. Act 2 was my favorite, because I thought that the fair was a cool aspect of the opera. I liked the singing and all of the great acting, comedy, and happiness during La Boheme. One of the things that I did not like was that the story line was very preditable and i thought that some things just didn't seem very interesting. All in all, it was a very good show and I think that the actors must be very brave because whenever I sing in front of someone I become very scared and it causes not to sing as I should. I think it was a very pleasant evening.
Anonymous said…
Hi!
My name is Annie, and I am so lucky to have been able to have seen La boheme!
My favorite part of the opera was probably when Mimi comes to the apartment and asks for a match to light her candle, but then loses her key. When searching, Rodolfo finds the key, but hides it, just so Mimi can stay longer. When their hands touch in the dark, it was so romantic and cute!
Another aspect I enjoyed was especially in the very beginning, the artwork from the Barnes was displayed through the canvas and the large screen. I thought it was very creative. I do not have a least favorite part. I loved the whole opera. It is a beautiful story, and even though the ending is very tragic, it is still amazing. The actors and actresses were really talented and I was very impressed.
Thank you so much for the awesome oppertunity. :)
Jmk2485 said…
My name is Justin and I am in 6th Grade. I saw this with Studio for Strings. I am amazed How amazing the actors are every time i see it. I've been to two operas so far but each one feels different, though the ones I saw were both about a love story and one person dies at the end. But still it is still amazing. But, it is very hard to look at the captions and the scene at the same time. But other than that the opera is well, amazing. ( sorry i said amazing about 17 times but that is what the opera is, amazing).
Jmk2485 said…
My name is Justin, i saw the opera with studio for strings. I am in the 6th grade. I am amazed how amazing the actors are. This is my second opera. Though both operas ive seen were love stories and someone dies at the end.But they both were amazing. I didn't really have a favorite part or a least favorite part. I liked the whole thing. Though it is hard to look at the captions and the scene at the same time. But other than that it was simply amazing (sorry i said amazing so much but that's what the opera is, amazing!).

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...