Skip to main content

Manon Lescaut - Student reviews

Manon Lescaut - What Did You Think?

Greetings students and teachers. Thank you all again for your great behavior and enthusiastic response to Manon Lescaut yesterday.

Thanks, too, to those of you who instinctively tweeted about the opera! We're thrilled that you did so!

If you want to remember what the curtain call was like, we filmed it and put it on YouTube.



Now's your chance to tell us what you thought about the opera. Write your reviews here! How were the sets and costumes? Did the singers convince you in their parts? What was your favorite part? Was the story believable and why?

Don't forget to support your opinions!

Please include your first name, school, and your grade in order for your review to be accepted.

Just click on the comments link below and post your review. You can select the "anonymous" profile identity to post the review.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts here!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Olivia
Archbishop Wood
10th Grade

I thought the play was good. I did not think our seats were good because it made to very hard to see what was going on the right side of the stage. Some of the music made me tired but the actors were very good singers. I also did not really know who was who. The whole play it was very easy to get confused because they all looked the same. The death scene I hated it took way too long and she died about three different times and on the final death she died standing.
Anonymous said…
My name is Maura Ferry and I am a sophomore at Archbishop Wood High School. I liked the opera, but it was a little hard to follow. From where I was sitting, I couldn't see parts of the stage and the English words were moving to fast to read them. Other than these few exceptions, I thought the opera was really good.
Anonymous said…
hannah-archbishop wood

i enjoyed watching the opera Manon Lescaut. my favorite part was when she first met Des Grieux. i think the the story was very believable and i loved the costumes.
Anonymous said…
I'm Genevieve and a Sophmore at Archbishop Wood Highschool. I saw the opera and thought that the singing and costumes were extremely well done. However, I had some trouble understanding which character was which at some points. I also was confused by some of the words that were appearing on the screen above in english because they were not always in sync with the performers. The libretto I recieved was good but could have gone deeper in depth with the story. Lastly, the parts of the scenery that they did have were very nice but, I think if they had more scenery, it would have painted a better picture. Overall, a job well done!
Anonymous said…
The opera was very good. All of the performers were spot on. Thiago Arancam was good just as he was in Tosca. Only real downpoint was the blocking of the ending was confusing. There were a few occasions where i thought Manon had died. Also i dont think she should have ended the show standing up. Also some of the schools werre a but loud. Overall however it was a fantastic performance!
Anonymous said…
Evan
Archbishop Wood High School
10th Grade
I thought the show was very good. All of the performers were great. Thiago Arancam was great just as he was in Tosca. Only real downpoint in the performance was that i thought the blocking in the final scene was confusing. Manon appeared to be dead multiple times and ended the show standing in a scene where she was supposed to have died. Also some schools around us were a bit loud. Overall a fantastic show!
Anonymous said…
Caitlyn Olszewski
Archbishop Wood
10th Grade

I was very impressed by the singing and the acting. It definitely kept my attention. However, the seating was a little difficult because I couldn't see half of the stage from where I was sitting. I liked the costumes and the scenery. There were just a few scenes that I didn't understand because of the props. I didn't know why Manon came out of a closet. Overall, I enjoyed the opera and it was a great experience.
Anonymous said…
samantha-archbishop wood high school

i enjoyed the opera the singing was beautiful and the set and costumes were very pretty the end i felt was a little drawn out but other than that i have no comlaints.
Anonymous said…
Stefania
Archbishop Wood

I thought the actors were really good at singing but I didn't like the ending of it because it took forever for Manon to die and I couldn't see the whole stage from where I was sitting.
Anonymous said…
Mackenzie
Archbshop Wood
10th Grade

I thought the play was okay but felt that last years "Tosca" was better. The seats that my school was assigned made it difficult to see and from our angle the mirror on the left of the stage did not make sense. We studied the plot before coming to the opera but if we had not done so I probably could not tell you who was who. The actors did a great job and the singing was excellent. The translations at the top of the stage were helpful and easy to follow. Some of the props did not make sense to me. My least favorite part was the death scene, it took her too long to die and realistically, if she was dying she wouldn't of had the energy to continuously sit down and stand back up. I was also bothered by the fact that she never died and left the stage standing up. The school that was seated to our left was very obnoxious and continuously made interruptions that made it hard to pay attention. They came in as the opera was starting and as a result I was distracted and missed a good ten minutes of Act 1. Students were constantly talking, getting up and leaving, and many were playing on cell phones.
Anonymous said…
Mackenzie
Archbishop Wood
10th Grade

I liked the opera but felt last years "Tosca" was better and easier to follow. The actors were excellent. Our seats were at a bad angle and made it hard to make out what was happening most of the time. The school seated to our left was constantly making distractions which made it hard to pay attention. I hated the death scene because realistically, if she was dying, she would not have been sitting down and standing up again. I thought this scene took too long.
Anonymous said…
Liz
Archbishop Wood
10th Grade

I thought this opera was very good. I however did not like the seating because of the view and because the schools next to us were being very disruptive. Also, at the ending when Manon was dying it was taking too long and she should have been laying down when she died, not standing. Other than those, I thought this opera was very good.
Anonymous said…
Meghan
Grade 10
Archbishop Woood

I thought the entire cast was extremely talented, especially Manon, but there were certain things I did not understand. I got very confused who was Geronte and who was the music instructor because they were dressed very similarly. I also thought that the letter in between scenes was a very neat idea, but there is one time in between scenes that the letter goes on and off in less than 5 seconds, and I was unable to read it. I did not understand why there was a piece of furniture in the middle of the desert either. Her death also seemed a bit too prolonged. But besides these things, it was a very enjoyable experience.
Anonymous said…
Teresa- Archbishop Wood

I really liked this opera a lot. It was very beautiful both singing and acting wise, but i did think that the death scene was dragged out a little bit. Above all i really loved this opera.
Anonymous said…
Megan W
Archbishop Wood
10th Grade

I did enjoy the opera. However, it was difficult for me to see the english subtitles and the excerpts before the acts because of where i was sitting. I loved the music because it was very dramatic and reflected the mood of the characters and the acts very well. On the other hand, i felt the death scene was kind of dragged out and took too long. I actually thought she was dead in his arms until she started singing again. But overall, it was a very nice performance.
Anonymous said…
Michaella
Archbishop Wood
9th Grade

I thought the opera was interesting and well casted, but i didn't like the sets. The desert didn't really look like a desert just ruins. Also with all the sets that were supposed to be inside, I didn't know where they were supposed to be. Also i didn't like the way she dies because it was dragged out. But the singing and acting was exciting and well performed.
Anonymous said…
Charles brant-stec ABW I thought the opera was overall well done. The orchestra was superb and so was the acting. The only things I disliked of this show were that manon's voice was quieter than des grieux's ( des grieux overpowered her in the duets) and the dragging on of the final scene.
Anonymous said…
Megan W
Archbishop Wood
10th Grade

I did enjoy the opera. I really loved the dramatic music because it conveyed the mood of the characters and the act very well. However, I found it difficult to see the English subtitles and the excerpts before the acts because of where i was sitting. Therefore, I was lost at some points. In addition, I thought the death scene was kind of dragged out. I was confused because i originally thought Manon died in Des Grieux's arms, but then she started to sing again. But overall it was a great performance and i enjoyed it.
Anonymous said…
Grace
10th grade
Archbishop Wood

I thought the opera was pretty good. It was a little difficult to follow because it was hard to figure out which character is which and the words were moving a little too fast. I loved the costumes and the music was pretty good. I think the actors and actresses were very believeable. Some of the scenes were slow. The ending was dragged on a little too long. From my seats, I couldn't see the one side of the stage so I lost the effect of some of the scenery. Overall it was really good.
Anonymous said…
Carolyn
Archbishop Wood
Grade 10

Overall I thought this opera was very well done with the acting and costumes. But, even though we were briefed on the background before hand I found it hard to alternate between reading the english subtitles and actually watching the acting. Also I wished the death scene was less drawn out. Other than that I really enjoyed it.
Anonymous said…
brianna
archbishop wood
9th grade

Overall, I was not a very big fan of the play. It's not that the acting or singing was bad, I just thought the entire thing was very dragged out, especially towards the ending and the begining parts. The part were Manon was dying was my least favorite of all because she kept saying how weak she was, yet she continud to sing, stand up, and walk around. Also, I think the clarity of the actors voices needs to improve, I couldn't make out a word they were singing and it was very difficult for me to try and comprehend it.
Anonymous said…
Charles Brant-Stec ABW
I think this opera was very well done. The part i found most interesting was the music and the musicianship. However, there are some things i disliked. I disliked the seating, because there was a pillar blocking a substantial part of the stage, the dragging on of the last scene, and manon's voice was often overpowered by des grieux.
Anonymous said…
Charles Brant-Stec ABW
THis opera was very well done. The things i found most intriguing were the music and the musicianship. However, things i disliked were the pillar blocking a part of the stage, the dragging on of the last scene, and manon's voice was often overpowered by des grieux's.
Sandesh said…
Sandesh Gurung 5th Grade, Southwark

My favorite part of the show was when they changed the place quickly and when they speak all the time and when the door opened slowly.
Anonymous said…
Rocio from Southwark School, 5th Grade

What I liked about the opera was that people expressed their feelings by singing. THey tried so hard in doing something they liked. My favorite part was when Des Grieux said that he would do anything for Manon; that is showing true love.
Anonymous said…
Tin Le from Southwark School, 5th Grade


My favorite part of the opera was when Des Grieux and Manon were in the desert and Des Grieux went to find something and then Manon died. Also, when Manon kept falling on the ground; it was sad. Thank you for inviting us.
Anonymous said…
I liked the opera very much. My favorite part was when Manon first met Des Grieux because it really showed how Manon liked him better than Geronte. Another one is when Manon left Geronte for Des Grieux. She knows the right thing to do is to be with your lover than to be rich. Thank you for inviting us.

Fara Rahman from Southwark school
Anonymous said…
Marielle
Archbishop Wood
12th Grade

I really liked the opera. The singing and acting was excellent. I could clearly see and hear them from my seat. The music sounded really good too; it wasn't too loud or overpower the actors' voices. The costumes, staging, and props were great as well, except I didn't understand why Manon was in a closet. The only fault with my opera experience was with my seat. There was little leg room, and because of my locaion, I couldn't see the right side of the stage. But, overall, I really did enjoy the opera and would definitely go again.
Anonymous said…
Gina
Archbishop Wood
10th Grade

I enjoyed seeing the opera. I liked the the scenes when Manon and Des Grieux first met, and when they're trying to run away from the soldiers but Manon goes back for her jewels. I did overall enjoyed the whole opera except for the last scene, when Manon was dying. It was hard to follow because it seemed like she was dying multiple times. I was also at a disadvantage because the seats we had made it difficult to see the entire stage. Otherwise it was a good production.
Anonymous said…
Edward - Archbishop Wood
I thought that the opera was alright. It was somewhat boring to me personally, but I did see a lot of people that enjoyed it.
Anonymous said…
Bob
Archbishop Wood
9th Grade

I thought that the play was very good. My only comment is that to me the beginning and ending parts were a little bit dragging on and on. But other then that i was a fan.
Anonymous said…
Matthew
Archbishop Wood
9th Grade

I liked the opera and it was the first one I've ever been to. It was definitely a different experience but I had fun seeing it. The only thing I didn't like about this particular opera was how much they dragged out some parts, specifically the ending. Other than that I congratulate the performers and hope they did well on opening night.
Anonymous said…
My name is Emma and I attend Archbishop Wood. I enjoyed watching the opera. I have seen two other operas here and have always enjoyed watching them. The actors did a great job and I enjoyed the singing. I was very impressed that the lead actress only had a month to learn her role. I do theatre and she was very good. The only thing I did not like is that I was led to believe that Manon had died several times when she hadn't. I also didn't like that she died standing up. Overall it was a great performance.
Anonymous said…
Paige Leven
Archbishop wood
9th grade
i thought the play was good and the casting was perfect. i couldnt see everything from where i was sitting but i could read the subtitles. the sets werent the best and i thing they could use more detail but the cast really performed thier best.
Anonymous said…
Anna
Archbishop Wood
12th Grade

I am very glad I went to see this opera. I had never been to the opera before and I am very glad that this was my first one. The acting and singing was very good and I really enjoyed the story-line. The only thing that I would have changed was my seat, I could not see the stage very well at all.
Anonymous said…
Emily
Archbishop Wood
12th Grade

I greatly enjoyed this opera. Everything flowed from scene to scene and throughout very nicely. The acting was superb which made it quite easy to follow the story line as you watched the performance and occasionally neglected the english subtitles. The enthusiasm of the actors was aparent and enjoyable, even though it was often difficult to follow the visual perfomance of the actors on stage left due to our location. Also, the final scene was slightly confusing. She appeared to have died numerous times and it seemed to drag on a bit too long. Overall, however, a truly fantastic play! My first opera and certainly not my last.
Anonymous said…
Deanna
Archbishop Wood
9th Grade
I thought that the opera was... ok. I liked the costumes and the singing and the music was great. The sets were cool. I feel like it skipped around a lot. Like you would have one long scene then the curtain would close and then you would have Des Grieux sitting there looking at a huge piece of paper that explains what just happened. I know that it was supposed to be like that but I guess I'm just used to plays not operas. I also feel like it took forever for her to die. She was alive, then she died, then she’s alive again, then she dies again, then she’s alive, then she dies standing up. Her death was dragged out way too long.
Anonymous said…
Danielle McGuckin
Archbishop Wood Highschool
Grade 11

I really liked the opera because the singing was fantastic and so were the costumes. I liked the costumes because I think they really fit the plot of what was going on. I didnt like how she died so many times.
Anonymous said…
The conductor did a wonderful job leading the orchestra everybody was together making a beautiful sound. The orchestra did an excellent job corresponding with the scenes of the opera. When a scene was depressing, the music sounded sad and when a scene was happy, the music was cheerful. I had many favorite scenes of this opera but if I had to choose one, it would have to be in act three when Manon died. I loved the drama and the depressing music before her 20-minute musical tragic death.
The costumes were great. Nicki Minaj, famous rapper, outfits look like Manon’s did in Act 2. I enjoyed this opera and can’t wait to see the Magic Flute by Mozart next April.

Nicole W. Grade 7
A.M.Y. 5 at James Martin School
Philadelphia, PA
Anonymous said…
The singers were great. I liked Manon’s singing. The orchestra was fantastic. I liked that every part had different music and it really fit in with what was happening. The music that was played when Manon was dying was very sad and it really fit with her dying.

I really liked the opera because there were a lot of people that can make the opera interesting.
I liked that she loved the poor man, Des Grieux but she wanted to marry the rich man Geronte because she wanted to be rich. When Des Grieux comes back to her in Geronte’s house Geronte arrest Manon. I like her tragic death that took about 10 minuets.



By: Corinne A.
Amy at James Martin School
6th grade
Anonymous said…
The singer who played Manon was Michelle Johnson. Her singing was amazing. My favorite scene was in the First Act when Des Grieux started singing to his love Manon. I picked that as my favorite part because that was when Manon and Des Grieux fell in love.
I enjoyed this opera and can’t wait to see The Magic Flute opera next April by Mozart. The music went along with the scenes perfect. I would like to thank the Annenberg, Presser, Well Fargo, and the United Universal Health Services foundations.
The seats were amazing and all the dedication that the actors put into this opera. I would want to give a shout out to Michelle Johnson saying she was terrific and Good Luck with your next performances.


Danielle S
Grade 7
A.M.Y. at James Martin School
Anonymous said…
When I went to this opera, the singers were absolutely amazing. The way the women who played Manon could show emotions as she was singing really surprised me. I think that the conductor and the orchestra really changed the mood of the scenes. The music made the depressing scenes even more miserable and sad. At the opera my favorite scene was the part where Manon was kissing des Grieux in Geronte’s house. This was my favorite scene because it shows whom Manon truly loved.

Good luck to Michelle Johnson. We gave her a big round of applause!
Ryann B.
A.M.Y. School at James Martin School
Grade 7
Anonymous said…
My trip to the Academy of Music was an interesting first experience. I felt as if I had steppe back in time as I walked into the elegantly decorated theater. I thought the cast did an excellent performance and the stage crew was quick with set up and clean up. However it was difficult to view the beautiful performance behind the poorly placed pole we were seated behind. Besides this inconvenience it was a beautiful venue which i shall plan on returning to.
Anonymous said…
Amber
Arcadia University


I feel that the opera had phenomenal performers and a beautiful set. As with any opera, it was little confusing to follow, but we definitely my favorite opera that I have seen during my college career. I liked the fact that the opera was not extremely long because it kept it interesting. I was also grateful that the opera provided subtitles because it helped me to understand the plot.
Anonymous said…
Sean
Archbishop Wood
Freshman (9th)
Bravo!! Noting that this was my first opera, I was extremely excited for the trip. I was stunned when I saw the exterior of the Academy of Music and couldn't wait what the interior would look like. I was awed by the intricate and elegant archetecture and by the sheer size of the building itself, let alone the stage. The auditorium was breath-taking, especially the height at which we were seated. Down below, I observed the orchestra and during the entire performance I was astounded by how well the orchestra held its state of unity without a stray beat to their playing. But I couldn't get over how well the singers did their part to make the performance so enjoyable. Their voices possessed such clarity and strength and every singer made the opera the best it could be. The sets were ingeniously thought-out also. (I liked how they built a mirror so the stage would seem bigger, but I don't know why it was offset.) I followed the plot pretty well, having read the summary in the libretto. I did think, though, that the dying scene dragged on a little, but when that was over, they announced the curtain calls. I think that was worth it, seeing all of the performers being endlessly appraised by the cheering audience and I believe that is the best part for them; to see all of their hard work paid off in that satisfying moment of thunderous accolades. I'll never forget the day of my first opera and I absolutely cannot wait for next year's performance! Thank you for giving me the chance to experience this!
Anonymous said…
Emily
12th Grade
Archbishop Wood
I greatly enjoyed the Opera. The singing and acting were phenominal. I loved the sets and costumes, they brought even more excitement to the Opera. The only thing I would have changed would be where I sat. I couldn't see most of what happened on stage left, which happened to be where a lot of acting took place.
Anonymous said…
Alexandra Shannon
Archbishop Wood H.S.
Grade: 12
I enjoyed the opera, but our seats were too far to the right in the balcony, so most of down left action was left to our imagination unfortunately. We even missed Manon's first entrance. The music from the orchestra was brilliant, I loved it. Also, the actor playing Des Grieux was a wonderful, his voice and his acting were right on point. Overall, it was good.
Anonymous said…
Eric
Archbishop Wood
Grade 9
I thought the opera was excellent. Bravo! The Academy of music added to the deeply emotional ambiance of the opera Manon Lescaut. When you enter, you cen feel the power of the great muscisians who have graced their presence. It was very dramamatic, and Thialgo portrayed the role perfectly. I have been to many operas before, and the ending of this was the best. It did take long for Manon to die, but that just added to the drama.
Anonymous said…
Karley
Archbishop Wood
12th grade

I loved the opera. I had never been on the trip before, so seeing this type of show was a new experience for me. The music was beautiful, as were the costumes. I liked how the opera had more ornate costumes than a typical play or musical. The only issue was the seating, because me and my group found oursevles unable to see the action happening on stage left, which is where the majority of the action not on center stage seemed to happen. Other than that, I loved the whole experience.
Anonymous said…
I enjoyed the opera very much. I loved their voices and can tell these are very well trained singers/actors/actresses. I loved the plot and found the story very interesting. The whole cast did an amazing performance. I'm not a huge fan of opera, but I found this one to be very entertaining. So congratulations to the whole cast who worked very hard on this opera.

Savier, grade 7
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
I would like to start off by saying thank you for letting us come see Manon Lescaut. It was good although I didn't get why she was standing while she died and that it took her 20 minutes to die. I also didn't understand why there was a broken dresser in the middle of the desert. The costumes were cool but could have been a bit more creative like the costumes in the musical Wicked. The orchestra was good. To finish, I would just like to say that the plot was kind of weird.
Sincerely,
Brianna, grade 7
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Dear Cast of Manon Lescaut,

You did a very, very good job. I liked Des Grieux's voice and Manon's voice. The costumes were great and the music was even better. When the singers reached the highest notes, I thought the chandelier was going to fall down! I thank whoever organized the opera and I hope we can come again next year.

Thanks again,
Dante, grade 7
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Hello Sounds of Learning! First off, I'd like to say thanks. You gus are pretty cool. Now onto the opera. I hadn't seen or even heard of Manon Lescaut before this. I thought that the opera was quite good despite missing the first scenes. The vocalists were top notch. The sets looked fantastic. One set that gave me pause though, was the desert. It could have been a little more desert-y. Only the day after did I get the symbolism of the cabinet sunk in the ground.
Keely, grade 7
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Thank you, Opera Company of Philadelphia, thank you for giving me the opportunity to see your spectacular performance of Manon Lescaut. Though the sets were impressive, it was the actors that fully transformed the stage. I do not generally consider the opera to be my favorite source of entertainment; nevertheless, I greatly enjoyed the music, acting and over all performance.

I only recently discovered that the Manon we saw had to learn the role so quickly. I was shocked because her voice was the strongest and purest I have heard.

Saria, grade 7
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
I would like to thank the Sounds of Learning organization for the wonderful learning experience. I couldn't follow the story very well because I don't speak Italian. Also, I kept looking at the actors and set, so I would miss the English supertitles. It amazed me that the actors/singers could fill the whole theater with their voices and still sound beautiful. I know I couldn't do that!
Galen, grade 7
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Sarah
Amy at James Martin
8th grade

I thought this opera was good. The most fantastic part was the death scene. The way the orchestra made the scene feel dark and depressed. It was truly amazing. Also the way the singers put so much passion into the lyrics and words was really beautiful. It was a very long but was worth sitting through.
Anonymous said…
I really enjoyed the opera Manon Lescaut because their singing and acting were marvelous. Their singing was very powerful and steady. They did not mess up their lines or the music at all.
The orchestra was amazing because they were on time with the singers and the music went along with the story. They worked so hard to make the opera great and they succeeded.
My favorite scene is when Manon dies because it was sweet when she says to her lover that her love for him will never die. She told him that she will love him forever. I love the opera so much and I hope everyone else did too.

Maribel A.
Amy at James Martian
Grade 7
Anonymous said…
I really enjoyed the opera Manon Lescaut because their singing and acting were marvelous. Their singing was very powerful and steady. They did not mess up their lines or the music at all.
The orchestra was amazing because they were on time with the singers and the music went along with the story. They tried so hard to make the opera great and they succeeded.
My favorite scene is when Manon dies because it was sweet when she says to her lover that her love for him will never die. She told him that she will love him forever. I love the opera so much and I hope everyone else did too.

Maribel A.
Amy at James Martian
Grade 7
Anonymous said…
This opera turned out great. Also I love how Michelle Johnson how she had learned all her parts in 1 month. Also the orchestra was great. I hope everyone enjoyed the opera. This opera was put well together. Also I love how they all memorized their line.


IRDA V.
AMY AT JAMES MARTIN
7TH GRADE
Anonymous said…
Alejandra C
Amy At James Martin
7th Grade
I thought the opera was absolutely amazing, because they put a lot of effort into it. Everything was beautiful , especially Manon’s costume when she was rich. I also loved the settings, because it was very dark at times. I think everything was very well done and organized, like when there was a lot of people on set. I also thought their voices were great. Everything was very deep and the acting also was very good, because they put a lot of emotion into it.
Anonymous said…
Tapehlyn
Amy 5
7th Grade
I think that the opera was really fun and entertaining. I can’t wait to go back next year. I find operas really interesting after seeing this one and I would like to see more and more. I hope I see more operas in the future. This opera had some very dark and intriguing props for the scenes. It was very detailed and the acting was very good. I actually felt what the actors were feeling in many scenes and I could tell when the actors were sad or mad. Everything was gorgeous especially Manon’s costume when she was rich. The jewelry was very shiny and pretty. I liked everyone’s performances and I think they did a very good job.
Anonymous said…
Sarah
A.M.Y at James Martin
8th grade

I thought this opera was good. The most fantastic part was the death scene. The way the orchestra made the scene feel dark and depressed. It was truly amazing. Also the way the singers put so much passion into the lyrics and words was really beautiful. It was very dragged out but all and all it was a good opera.
Anonymous said…
I loved the opera. My favorite part in the opera was when Manon and Des Grieux first met because it showed so much passion and love that they had for each other.

Claribel A.
Grade: 7
AMY At James Martin School
Anonymous said…
I think that the orchestra did a really good job too. They did an awesome job showing the emotion of the opera. The sets were also really pretty and realistic. Another thing that really caught my attention was the costumes. They were beautiful, especially Manon’s costume when she was rich.
I think the opera was really fun. I can’t wait to go to the opera again next year. I think it’s really cool that we got to go for free too. I’m also pretty sure everyone enjoyed it like I did.
Nicole C.
Amy 5 at James Martin
7th grade
Anonymous said…
The costumes looked very old but they were nice. Manon had three different costumes. I liked her first costume the best. She changed so fast between the acts.

In conclusion, I did not understand why I took so long for Manon to die. But the rest of it was good

Nicolle B.
A.M.Y At James Martian
Grade 7th
Anonymous said…
The main character Manon Lescaut was played my Michelle Johnson. I was so surprised to find out tat she remembered the opera in 1 month. The orchestra was so good at showing when parts were happy like when they were dancing, and the sad parts when Manon died. Also I think the singing was amazing. I loved the changing of costumes the difference between the rich and poor people

I think the opera was really fun and entertaining. I can’t wait until next year to go back and see another opera. I love the drama of operas so I can’t wait until I see more. I want to go with my parents to see another opera soon. I had a great time and looking forward to see more.
Tia W
Amy 5 School
7th grade
Anonymous said…
Carol Mozier
AMY at James Martin
Grade 6

Manon wore so many outfits! How could she keep up with the opera and get changed before she had to sing again? The guy with the muffin top dress was kind of weird because its not something.
The opera was great and I hope all the singers loved singing, the work so hard just for us. We should support them and say Thank you for your work and the opera turned out great!
Anonymous said…
The orchestra was amazing. I loved how the orchestra would change the music throughout the opera. If something bad happened or was about to happen the music would start to get sad and mournful. If something good happened or was about to happen the music would change happy and joyful. I like how I saw and heard different instruments like the violin, bass, cello, drums, and the harp. Also the singers were very good. I liked how they sang in Italian.
My favorite part of the opera was when Manon came in and Des Gruiex fell in love with her.

Johnny Sonpon
AMY At James Martin
7th Grade
Anonymous said…
Amber
Arcadia University
Freshman

I had never seen an opera before, and I was not sure what to expect. Overall, I did not care for it. Having to read the subtitles took my attention away from the actors. Also, there was a lot of focus on the singing and not enough on the acting. The set was a little too inconsistent. It was either too busy or there was not enough of it. The performers were good, but opera is just not my cup of tea.
Anonymous said…
Robert
Arcadia University
Senior

This was the first opera I attended. The sounds, set, and performs created a very engaging performance. The drama was built up very well ultimately leading to Manon's death. My attention never waned and I would love to see another opera in the future.
Anonymous said…
I thank you for inviting our school to your spectacular performance of Manon Lescaut. The overall acting and drama was beautiful. The singing was beautiful it was amazing that the singers could sing that loudly and beautifully. I loved the costumes, especially the gowns that Manon wore. They were beautiful and obviously high quality. I have never been to an opera before and the elegance and splendor of the theater was beautiful. The actors made their characters clear and played them well. The story was full of drama and betrayal, love and passion.

Also, Mr. Bolton's visit was awesome. He showed us how the singers project their voices.

Darwin, grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Thank you for inviting me to the opera, Manon Lescaut. It was my first time. I can't wait to go again! My favorite character was probably Lescaut. The sets were amazing. Although it took Manon a looooong time to die, the ending was a good one. My favorite part was seeing all the women in their tattered dresses begging for mercy at the guard's feet. I loved the orchestra and I want to play my cello as well as they did.

Emmanuel, grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Thank you for letting me come to the opera. I personally don't like operas but I liked this one. I didn't like that it took Manon about 20 minutes to die. I also found it odd that in the last scene when manon was dying she kept getting up. The broken dresser in the desert confused me. Again, thank you and I can't wait to go again.

Sincerely,

Chloe, grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Thank you for letting us go to the opera. The opera was very interesting but it did not appeal to me. It had a lot of drama which I did not really like, but it was okay. The singers were very loud, which I liked a lot. The costumes were strange, which I do like.

Sonny, grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
I thank you for letting me come to the opera. It was confusing because it was in Italian. The costumes were cool and the orchestra was awesome. I did not like the part where Manon was about to die, because it took about 30 minutes and Manon said that she was going to die, and then it took 20 minutes for her to die.

Ben, grade 6

Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Thank you for the experience. There was a lot of acting and drama which was really cool. I thought it was cool that the singers didn't need any microphones for singing. The way that Manon died was very long. The orchestra was very good. I can't wait to see the next opera!
Scarlett, grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
I thank you for inviting us to the opera. I liked the drama -- the story was great! The costumes were cool. The singing and the orchestra were very impressive.

Martha, grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
First of all I want to thank you, Opera Company of Philadelphia, for inviting us to your wonderful performance. With all the singing and acting, you really have to hand it to the actors. I especially love the amazing orchestra. It was a little confusing because it was in Italian, but I liked it anyway.

Jameson, grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
I thank you for letting us come to see the opera. I personally liked it. The costumes were very elaborate and beautiful. The singing was amazing and loud. The acting and drama was very good and very well done. It was really amazing, but it was hard to understand because it was in Italian.

Sondra, grade 6
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Thanks to "Sounds of Learning." I enjoyed watching Manon Lescaut. I think my favorite part of it was the singing and the costumes. My favorite part of the opera was when Manon was getting on the ship but had one last moment with Des Grieux. I'm glad I got to experience this wonderful opera.

Zoe, grade 8
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Thank you ver much for letting us see the opera Manon lescaut. I really enjoyed the sets. I thought they were very detailed and realistic. The orchestra was my favorite part. The music was very good and fit the opera perfectly. I liked the written parts projected on the curtain becaue they explained how Manon and Des Grieux got lost in the desert.

Toby, grade 8
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Thank you Sounds of Learning! I really enjoyed the opera. For me, at least, most operas sometimes drag on and get kind of boring, but this opera was inspirational and interesting. The actors and actresses had amazing voices. I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't use mics. The actors were convincing. I really, really enjoyed the songs. Thanks again!

Leila, grade 8
Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Thanks so much to Sounds of Learning for giving us the opportunity to see the opera "Manon Lescaut." It was a great experience with amazing actors, actresses and singers. I loved the elaborate costumes and sets and how smoothly the singers moved throughout the show. The singers resonated throughout the auditorium, always keeping time and melody.

Zoe, grade 8

Waldorf School of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for giving the Waldorf School of Philadelphia this amazing opportunity I believe that it is very important for kids to be given the chance to see live performances. It creates memories that can last a lifetime. From the exquisite sets and costumes to the allure of the beauteous voices, I know the performance will stay with me forever. Even though it is my last year at my school, I hope that you continue to offer this incredible experience for years to come.

Thanks again,

Elliana, grade 8
Waldorf School of Philadephia
Anonymous said…
Thank you very much for the amazing opera. Most opera makes me fall asleep but this one didn't. I really enjoyed watching it. The sound of the Italian was beautiful, and they way the singers sang it was awesome.

Luke, grade 8
Waldorf Shcool of Philadelphia
Anonymous said…
Naseem, Grade 8
St. Mary IP School

I found the play to be quite intriguing. I found the story to be exciting, yet sad. Manon Lescaut was a great way to retell an old story of love and romance.
Anonymous said…
Isabelle, Grade 7
St. Mary IP School

I liked the opera because the costumes were pretty. The only thing that was annoying was Manon dying and then coming back to life to sing another song.
Anonymous said…
Nya, Grade 7
St. Mary IP School

This was a very nice opera. I don't enjoy opera, but this caught my attention.
Anonymous said…
Nina, Grade 7
St. Mary IP School

Manon Lescaut was a beautiful, sophisticated play. This is what opera should look like. All of the characters were on pitch and were perfect.
Anonymous said…
Jais, Grade 7
St. Mary IP School

I did not like the opera because I couldn't understand a word they were saying. It makes me uncomfortable. It would be more enjoyable if they would speak in English instead of us having to look up at the words. That makes it so we can't look at the stage and see what's going on.
Anonymous said…
Mikaela, Grade 7
St. Mary IP School

I liked the opera because I loved the clothes but at some parts I was a bit confused.
Anonymous said…
Francis, Grade 7
St. Mary IP School

I didn't like the opera because I thought it was way too romantic for our age level.
Anonymous said…
Amber, Grade 7
St. Mary IP School

I think the play was good. It needed less singing and more romance. Manon also needed to die faster.
Anonymous said…
Kyllian, Grade 7
St. Mary IP School

The opera mixed elements of music, acting and dancing to make the opera very interesting. The only thing I didn't like it that it was very lengthy.
Anonymous said…
Devon, Grade 7
St. Mary IP School

I enjoyed the opera because it focuses on two people who are deeply in love with each other. I also enjoyed the orchestra.
Anonymous said…
Jessica, Grade 7
St. Mary IP School

I very much enjoyed the opera. I was happy to see captions above the stage to understand. The fashion had to be my favorite part. I would wear any of Manon's fashions in a heartbeat!

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...