Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most impressive singing voice?
Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion!
Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more!
Messag
We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A big thank you to Lawrence Middle School and Bristol High School for sending pictures and thank you notes. If your school has any pictures from the dress rehearsal or drawings inspired by Tosca that you want to share, please email them to brisson@operaphila.org.
JOIN OUR OPERA EMAIL LIST!
Email education@operaphila.org and we'll deliver free opera right into your inbox once a week. Each week there will be a youtube "Clip of the Week" and a great opera-related website to check out. If you like opera, this is the place to be!
Comments
Breana Warren, 16 Lankenau HS
17
Lankenau
Certainly the opera Tosca was great. I feel that the Opera had an understandable story line with the love,hate and betrayel. Surely Tosca was portrayed as someone strong and that gives a fight. Simply the way Cavarodossi and Tosca was willing to protect there friend to the point where it reached death because of the llove they had for one another was exciting. The setting was great that it was in Rome.Surely Tosca change my whole view on what i thought Opera was about and i wouldnt mind going to see another Opera Show.
17
Lankenau High School
Overall I enjoyed the show. At first i thought it was very boring. I really didn't engage myself until the climax of the opera. My favprite part was when Tosca stabbed Scarpia. I thought he deserved it and I also love the part when Carvardossi was shot. The ending also surprised me. I didn't expect Tosca to fall like that.
17
Lankenau
I enjoyed the whole opera. It was very interesting. My favorite parts was at the end when she jumped off the castle and when Tosca stabbed Scarpia in ActII. Overall the whole performance was eye catching from the dramatic changes to the dull moments.I would not muind see it again it was very intriguing. : )
The first opera I ever went to was Tosca and is one of the best operas by far I have ever seen!!!!!! I love everything about it. It was a great experience for me because the singing... the acting... and everything else was just wonderful. The most interesting and fun part was when Cavaradossi had been shot because when he got shot it was like fireworks in my eyes. I was almost blinded by the brightness of the shots. In addition, the most beautiful and saddest part was when Tosca went to prison to visit Cavaradossi when they thought that they would be safe because of the mock execution. That was really sad when she screamed and cried because she had found out that it wasn't really a mock execution. I love Tosca because she's a great singer and a good actress. Glad you could hear me out on all the things I loved the most. p.s i would recommend this to all ages
The thing I liked about Tosca is when cavardossi got shot it scared the audience. I also liked it when scarpia almost got Tosca but she killed him. The last thing I liked is when Tosca jumped. I did not like the music it was to nice.
My favorite act was act 3.I loved how much Tosca loved Caveradosie. Act 3 was my favorite because thats when Tosca shows how much she loved him.She was willing to do anything to save her love.
My favorite act was act 3. I enjoyed the way Tosca was so surprised when she figured out that Scarpia lied about the mock execution. Also i liked how they can just suck you into the drama.
My favorite part about the opera is when Mario got shot. it was my favorite because the bullets came out of nowhere. mostly everybody was caught by shock when the bullets were seen. that was like the whole story to me.
My fifth grade class and I went to see the opera, “Tosca.” For weeks we read and read and reread with our “Tosca” scripts. When we finally arrived in our fancy clothes it was a sea of people. We sat in our velvet chairs waiting for Tosca and Cavaradossi to appear on stage.
The orchestra pit was lit up and I particularly liked the mysterious music when Angelotti crept into the Saint Andrea church. He had good body language and you could tell he was afraid when the Sacristan walked in. The Sacristan was played just like I imagined him; annoyed by Cavaradossi. Tosca had an amazing entrance, Mario and Tosca looked like lovers and you could tell because of their interactions and how they looked into each other’s eyes.
In act two the actor really made me dislike Scarpia. He had an evil aura and I disliked his embraces with Tosca. In act three the starry scenery was realistic and Cavardossi did look distressed and tortured.
Overall, I loved “Tosca”. I didn’t notice anything I would want to improve because it was so good!
The opera Tosca was fantastic. I really enjoyed it. It seemed so realistic: the painting, the torturing, the stabbing and the shooting. One of my favorite parts was the jump because it was surprising and athletic. Another part I liked was when Cavaradossi and Tosca are announcing their love to each other and Tosca keeps asking him to change the painting’s eye to black. I like this part because it was funny because she wouldn’t stop asking.
The opera is also very serious and dramatic. It’s really dramatic when Scarpia thinks Tosca is all his but when he least expects it, “Scar”pia has a scar in his heart. A serious part in the story is when Cavaradossi is willing to give up his life to not tell Angelotti’s and his secret but Tosca will tell for love.
The opera “Tosca” is a wonderful opera that you have to see! It is so dramatic, serious and exciting. You can’t just watch one part , you have to watch it all. If you watch it, I know you will enjoy it!
I very much enjoyed the Opera Tosca performed by Adina Nitescus, as Floria Tosca, and by Thiago Arancam, as Mario Cavaradossi. There were very few flaws but then again I saw the dress rehearsal. And other than that I thought it was great!
I loved the costumes that the actors wore. I really like the costume that Cavaradossi had on after being tortured by the evil Baron Scarpia (played by Boris Statsenko). I also like Tosca’s elegant evening gowns that she wore.
One of the most exciting parts of the whole opera was the execution of Cavardossi. The gunshots were bright and loud. It was perfectly done. Cavaradossi fell at the shot; perfect timing. And again, I thought that the scene was outstanding.
It has to be the best stage act I have ever seen. I thought that it was great, and you are very lucky if you are going on Friday night!
Tosca was very well performed. The scenery was very detailed and creative. Even though the performers didn't use microphones, their voices projected at such a great valume that microphones would have ruined the unique quality of talent. I enjoyed myself and the performers did a splendid job of acting. They were very believable and stayed in character throught the entire opera. Overall, each character did a wonderful job of telling this tale and I appreciated being able to attend this show.
Kasey archbishop wood 9th grade
Leighton Archbishop wood HS 11
Lauren Berry, 16, Archbishop Wood
Victoria, Philadelphia High School for Girls, 11th Grade
The tempo was generally slow but when a dramatic scene was happening it got faster and scarier. There were no snare drums so the beat was not distinct.
The orchestra had many different instruments with different timbres. They had brass instruments, string instruments, woodwind instruments, and percussion instruments.
The volume depended on the scene for example when Tosca killed Scarpia the volume increased but when Tosca was holding the knife and sneaking towards Scarpia the volume was quite and sneaky.
The orchestra had many instruments playing which gave the sound a lot of texture. Sometimes they would start with one instrument then add more and more until the whole band was playing
The composition was dark because the play was a tragedy. In the beginning it wasn't as dark as in the later parts when the tragic events were taking place.
The orchestra in Tosca was talented and put on a great show. They put the mood of the play in place.
Another part of the opera I was impressed by was the sets, especially how quickly they changed them. Having been a part of musicals and theater in highschool I know firsthand how hard it can be to move set pieces in crowded backstage areas. The entire cast must have been so grateful to have such a talented crew supporting them throughout the opera.
Andrew Stevens, 20, Arcadia University
Amy, 22, Arcadia University.
Anthony
Arcadia University
Ashlea Leisenring, 20 Arcadia University
Brittany Witcher
20
Junior
Arcadia University
We loved the Opera and the way the story was portrayed to the audience! We would recommend it to all ages. Leah: What I liked most about the story was that Tosca sacrificed herself for her love, and the only person she cared about was Cavaradossi. To me, that is true love.
Valerie: My favourite part of Tosca was in Act 3. The things Tosca did for Cavaradossi really spoke to me. She sacraficed everything for their love, and that really touched me. It was very suspenceful and kept me at the edge of my seat. It was a magnificent performance!
- Kareem, Penn Alexander School, Fifth Grade, Age 11
Theatre
I thought that the actors of Tosca moved gracefully and did a great job showing emotion on their faces. I thought the casting job could have been better because Tosca was about forty and Cavaradossi was about twenty-five.
The actors played their parts so well that the audience booed Scarpia when he took his bow. The audience was booing Scarpia not the actor. Some of the audience was disgraceful so they probably had no interest in the opera unlike some audience members who were respectful who enjoyed or tried to enjoy the opera.
I saw Tosca at The Academy of Music in Philadelphia, PA. The theatre’s acoustics were made for opera. There were curtains, carpet, and chairs to absorb the sound while sound could bounce of the ceiling, beams, and walls. The sound was great and no mics were used.
In Act 1 there was a huge space for the church and there was a lot of moving. In Act 2 in Scarpia’s house, they used a smaller space and kept to themselves more. In Act 3, Cavaradossi’s execution, they used a large space but kept more to themselves until Tosca jumps off the ledge.
The subtitles were big and bold and were placed where everyone could see. However they didn’t get in the way of the performance. The subtitles were great so everyone could understand.
Opera has been enjoyed for many years. Tosca was a nice first opera. I would recommend Tosca for people ages ten and up. There are some exciting scenes in Tosca. Overall I though the performers were very talented but I just don’t enjoy opera.
Tosca was better than the Academy’s production of Swan Lake. Romanian soprano, Adina Nietscu and Brazilian tenor, Thiago Arancan made the opera shine. Their voices collided in perfect harmony.
Emily, Penn Alexander School, Grade 5, Age 10
I liked the opera, it was great starting the opera by tge escape of a political prisoner. Soon after he goes seeking for help in gte Attavanti Chapel, which soon starts the story. My favorite Mario Cavaroodossi because he is the character with the seconed most power in the play. Which Scarpia uses to bend Tosca to her will., which is how i see it. Tosca is a well performed play and i would be glad to see it again.
14
TPS
Overall I liked the Opera, Tosca. I think it had a good plot and the actors portrayed the characters really well. My favorite character/singer was Cavaradossi becaue I think the actor was a good fit for him. I also liked his voice because it was the highest out of all the male characters. Another thing I enjoyed was looking out for the switch between Tosca and her stunt double. I liked the sets because they seemed pretty realistic. I didn't liek how Scarpia looked a little older than I thought he was. I also didn't think Tosca's dress was very appropriate for a younger audience, especially in Act II, but overall my experience watching the Opera was very enjoyable.
Overall, the opera was great! I enjoyed almost every aspect of it, but I do have some criticisms. Starting with the pros, all the singers knew what they were singing and put a lot of emotions into it. The orchestra was not overpowering the singer (which I have heard in other operas). And lastly, the sets were beautiful and very detailed. Now for the cons, In act 1, Angelotti was way to "clean" to have just escaped prison, and Cavaradossi should have actually painted something on stage, rather than just act like he was about to. My favorite part of the play came in act 3 when Tosca leaped off the battlement to her death. This scene was portrayed just as I pictured it. I also thought the stunt double looked exactly like the real actress.
My experience at the Opera Company of Philadelphia was enjoyable. We got to witness the arts in action which I think was a special opportunity. Although some parts of the Opera were more enjoyable then others, over all it was a fine production put on by the Opera Company of Philadelphia. Some things that I would change a little bit were the age that Scarpia. I felt the make up artist made the age excessive and unrealistic. Also the fact that Tosca was changing dresses after each act got a little diva-y. I felt it also made it confusing for the audience to understand how and why she changed. I also felt that the 2 main lovers, Tosca and Cavaradossi, had no chemistry. These were some things I thought made the opera, Tosca, less realistic.
I enjoyed the opera. Some parts were a little disturbing, unbelievable, and could be better. I thought the story of Tosca was well written. The actors had nice singing voices. I was a little disturbed in the second act when Scarpia was about to make love to Tosca. Tosca's dress was too low cut in the second act. The third act was my favorite act. A lot of interesting events occurred. I like the part when the soldiers were about to shoot Cavaradossi. There were supposed to be no bullets but in one gun there was. cavaradossi's "fake death" was very believable. Personally I thought when Tosca was running away from the soldiers and she switched with her stunt double, it was noticeable when they switched. I thought when she jumped it was really believable.
Overall I was not impressed by the opera. In the seat I sat in as well as many others near it there was no view of the subtitles so I had no idea what they were talking about. Personally I thought the plot was dry and completely lacking of creativity. All of the main characters die and your left with nothing. You don't keep thinking and wondering about the plot after it's over, you just say oh, it's over. A good presentation keeps you wondering afterwords. I wish that Tosca didn't kill herself and went on to challenge the king or some major establishment. I wish that she avenged Cavaradossi by crushing Scarpia's legacy.
This wasn't my first time at an opera.
I wouldn't like to see another opera.
I did look at the workbook at home somewhat with a parent or guardian.
My experience at the Opera was good. I enjoyed the opera and the actors and actresses really expressed their feelings in their voices when they sang and they used a lot of hand gestures too. I did not like how the make up artist made Scarpia look really old then he should have looked, so in other words I think they totally over did his costume. Angelotti's costume was really well designed. It really showed that he has been held captive in jail and just escaped. The dresses for Tosca seemed to modern, they didn't fit in with any of the other costumes to well. My favorite singer and character was Cavadossi, because he really did show how he felt about Tosca, and everything else. The stunt Tosca wasn't that good though because before Tosca was behind the pole, the stunt jumped off the wall. Over all though, the opera was really good but sad and I really did enjoy it.
Overall, I thought Tosca was performed magnificently and creatively. The actors did an exquisite job conveying the words of the music into actions and emotions. My favorite performer was Adina Nitescu who played Tosca. I thought she sung beautifully and her acting made the opera seem real. I also thought that Thiago Aracam, Cavaradosssi, and Adina Nitescu did a great job showing the love relationship between Tosca and Cavaradossi. The love between them seemed undeniable.
I did though have an issue with the sets. I know it is hard to make the set seem real, but seeing images of where the opera takes place, the set looked nothing like it. I also had an issue with the paining of the Mary Magdalene. I didn't think it resembled Tosca enough and I couldn't tell that the painting had blue eyes.
Also, I thought that the costumes and make up were done pretty well. Angelotti's costume seemed like he was in prison for a while. I thought that in Act 2 and 3 Cavaradossi didn't look tortured enough. His costume didn't look battered and distressed enough and there was barely any blood, especially around the head. I also thought that Scarpia looked too old with the white hair. In my mind I pictured Scarpia as a younger man because it didn't seem realistic that Scarpia would appear that old.
Overall, I though that the Opera Company of Philadelphia did a great job of performing Tosca.
i think that the opera was, in all do respect, not as good as i had imagined. after going to see Turandot two years prior, i was expecting it to be more like that, but i was wrong. for vocals, they had very strong singers like like Mario Cavaradossi, (played by Thiago Aranram) and Scarpia (played by Boris Statengo). but when you don't look at the singers and focus on the world around them, in my mind it all seems fake. tke act three for example. when Cavaradossi was in his prison sell, he wakes up from a night of dreams, and reaches his hands to the walls and the entire wall starts to sway. as soon as he touched it it started to move. I know its an on stage opera, but a little more support would be nice. and one more thing, when the transitions was made between the real Tosca and the stunt double, it was all done way to fast. the stunt double came out from behind the water tower way to fast and was noticeably taller than the original. all and all, it was a good production, but it could have been a little smoother and life like.
Arielle ~ the philadelphia
The Opera company of Philadelphia did a very nice job presenting Tosca to 1,800 students. There were some aspects of the opera that I didn't enjoy as much as others, but all and all it was exciting through out the whole performance.
The on thing that, personally, I didn't think was that great was the painting above the scaffolding. This bothered me because it was supposed to to be painted by Cavaradossi, a successful artist, and I thought that The Opera Company of Philadelphia could have done a better job at creating the art work on the wall. Something that the Floria Tosca actors should work on before the opening performance is the switch between the opera singer and the stunt double. From where I was sitting I was able to see the transition.
I thought that the over all show was fantastic. I really enjoyed the lower voices. They sounded really nice. At some times through the opera Tosca's voice would go up extremely high for a moment and then would go lower. It sounded kid of odd to my ears. My favorite character was definitely Cavaradossi's assistant, Sacristan. He was funny and serious at the same time. He was entertaining to watch and to listen to.
I am really appreciative to The Opera Company of Philadelphia for inviting The Philadelphia School and allowing us to come to the dress rehearsal of Tosca.
- Syeda, Penn Alexander School, Fifth Grade, 11
I strongly suggest that you watch Tosca because it is a beautiful yet dark opera that anyone can enjoy.
- Jana, Penn Alexander School, Fifth Grade, 10
Jackie Valori,
Archbishop Wood HS,
grade 10
Jessica Cosenza, Sophmore, Archbishop Wood High School
Amber
Grade 5
Russell Byers Charter School
Sarah
grade 5
Russell Byers Chater School
Nafiys
Grade 5
Russell Byers Charter School
Niger
Grade 5
Russell Byers Charter School
Troy
grade 5
Russell Byers Charter School
I liked act 2 because Tosca killed Scarpia and Cavaradossi was bloody. My favorite part was when Cavaradossi got shot by the soldiers and died. (fake)
I liked act three the most because Tosca switched with the double stunt girl.
Ryan
grade 5
Russell Byers Charter School
Russel byers charter school
grade 5
Dayan
I loved it. I was so interested in it even if it was in a different language! My favorite part was when Tosca showed how much she loves Cavaradossi with her actions and jealousy! It was so touching when Cavaradossi didn't even show care about himself even though he was being beaten so badly! He really wanted Tosca to stay happy and openminded!
I definitly loved all parts of the play but if I had to choose Id choose the end of scene 2 and the WHOLE of scene 3.
I liked scene 2 because it had a lot of drama which, I happen to LOVE! And, scene 3 was utterly awesome the music,the scenery (background), and the... well everything else!
I think the scenery and costumes were so realistic I amost forgot I was watching an opera! The actors/singers(Tosca,Sacristan,Cavaradossi,
Angelotti, Scarpia, Spoletta etc.)
were so great! They were such good singers, the way they stretched out the words, and made it sound so graceful! Even Scarpia, haha! I think the accents were very realistic, I always wondered if they really talked that way? I WONDER...
Anyway, I think the gunshot in scene 3 and when Tosca jumped off the building in scene 3 were great scenes too! I loved them because they were so realistic! I personally jumped when i heard the gunshot... I even felt the vibration on my seat!
I really hope Tosca goes on forever and everyone can see it! I will definitly go back every year (if I can) to see it! One day i plan to sing in an Opera just like Tosca! Thank-you for making this the best experience as possible! I will never forget it... TRUST ME!
Hadleigh
grade 5
Russell Byers Charter School
(PS:when Tosca jumped off the bulding it was the coolest thing it looked like she had some experience jumping off things!It kind of looked like she was sky diving it was awesome. I did not even notice it was a dress rehearsal since it was so good.)
Tayadee grade 5 Russell Byers Charter School
In my opinion, there were some scenes that did not belong, such as when the Sacristan’s character was introduced. He was portrayed negatively and came across as a mere assistant rather than an important person in the story. Also, Tosca’s temper seemed to throw off the opera. In the beginning, her temper played a small role, but it should have continued throughout the story.
Overall, I would definitely give the opera five out of five stars. Thiago Arancam’s (Cavaradossi) and Adina Nitescu’s (Tosca) voices together sounded like a beautifully tuned church bell. The director made a wise choice choosing these two singers.
-Seyni, Penn Alexander, Fifth Grade, 10
Each setting had its own importance. In Act I, the setting of the church was chosen so that Cavaradossi would have a reason to paint Mary Magdalene. However, I thought it was strange that Cavaradossi was painting in church. In Act II, it was odd that it took place in Scarpia’s apartment because there were men torturing Cavaradossi in an adjourning room. The platform outside of Castel Sant’Angelo in Act III was very wisely chosen because the audience could really see Cavaradossi.
The characters were very developed. They were developed through their actions, what others say of them, their dialogue, and their fatal flaw. Tosca began as a jealous lover, but developed into a more caring person, and came through in the end to save Cavaradossi. Cavaradossi is developed as a modest painter in love with Tosca. Scarpia was probably the best developed, as a ruthless leader that cared only for his own power.
Everything in the plot had a reason. Though there were few characters, the plot flourished with them. The plot swept along very well; one action leading to another. Cavaradossi hides Angelotti. Scarpia takes Cavaradossi prisoner, and Tosca goes to rescue Cavaradossi. Tosca is taken prisoner. Scarpia eventually agrees to “kill” Cavaradossi in a mock execution. Tosca kills Scarpia. Cavaradossi dies because the execution was real, so Tosca, in distress, kills herself by hurtling herself from the parapet.
There were many conflicts in the libretto. One conflict was Angelotti’s escape and capture, but the main conflict involved Scarpia’s capture and torture of Cavaradossi. In fact, this conflict was so present that the whole story revolved around it. This led Tosca to attempt to rescue Cavaradossi and to eventually kill Scarpia. This also led to Cavaradossi being killed in what was supposed to be a mock execution.
The theme was “Love always prevails over evil.” Throughout the story, love kept Tosca and Cavaradossi alive, though in the end, their love had to extend beyond death. If Tosca and Cavaradossi were only friends, Cavaradossi would’ve given Scarpia the information, or Scarpia would’ve killed him. Scarpia, as well as Tosca, would still be alive.
Given that the setting reflected an important part of Italian history, the characters and conflicts were well developed for that time period. The plot line builds slowly and resolves with a satisfying tragedy. The theme is a universal one that the audience can relate to. All in all, I would highly recommend seeing Tosca based on its fine libretto.
The tempo was generally slow but when a dramatic scene was happening it got faster and scarier. There were no snare drums so the beat was not distinct. The tempo was similar to older music classic music from artists like J.S. Bach.
The orchestra had many different instruments with different timbres. They had brass instruments, string instruments, woodwind instruments, and percussion instruments. It was the instruments difference timbres that keep the music exciting, it would be kind of boring if only string instruments played but if you add percussion and brass then the music becomes more interesting.
The volume depended on the scene for example when Tosca killed Scarpia the volume increased but when Tosca was holding the knife and sneaking towards Scarpia the volume was quite and sneaky. The different volumes in music make the song sound better because if the music was only one volume then it would seem like the mood on the stage was always the same.
The orchestra had many instruments playing which gave the sound a lot of texture. Sometimes they would start with one instrument then add more and more until the whole band was playing. The texture gives the music its independence.
The composition was dark because the play was a tragedy. In the beginning it wasn't as dark as in the later parts when the tragic events were taking place. The composition of the music changed as the acts changed.
The orchestra in Tosca was talented and put on a great show. They put the mood of the play in place.
5/2/11
Tosca, an Italian opera written by Giacomo Puccini, is being performed at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia. Tosca is a play about two lovers. Set in Rome in 1800, it has a very romantic feel. Like most operas, there are a variety of different characters with different voices from soprano to bass. After watching Tosca, I thought it might have been too long for the attention span of the audience.
The setting of Tosca is the afternoon and evening of June 17 and the early morning of the June 18, 1800, at three locations. The locations are the church of Sant’Andrea della Valle, Scarpia’s apartment in Farnese Palace, and, the gallows platform of Castel Sant’Angelo. The main characters of Tosca are Floria Tosca, Mario Cavaradossi, Baron Scarpia, Cesare Angelotti, Sacristan, Spoletta, Sciarrone, a Jailer, and a Shepherd Boy. Other characters are soldiers, altar boys, police agents, noblemen and women, townsfolk, and Artisans.
The point of view of the opera is mostly of the main character, Tosca. But in scenes that do not include Tosca, the point of view is either of Cavaradossi, Tosca’s lover, or of Scarpia, an enemy of Tosca. There are many conflicts in Tosca, including between, Scarpia and Tosca, Cavaradossi and Scarpia, Tosca and Cavaradossi, and Scarpia and Angelotti. Scarpia and Tosca have conflicts when Scarpia uses his power to threaten Tosca with her lover’s health. Scarpia and Cavaradossi have conflicts with each other because Scarpia tries to persuade Cavaradossi to tell the whereabouts of his friend Angelotti, but Cavaradossi refuses. Scarpia and Angelotti have conflicts with each other because Scarpia is using his power to kill Angelotti because they are on opposite sides for political matters. Cavaradossi and Tosca have a conflict because Tosca thinks Cavaradossi is cheating on her with other women he painted in his picture.
The theme of Tosca is how jealousy is destructive to individuals and society. Jealousy plays a part in Tosca by making Tosca question Cavaradossi’s actions and for Scarpia to behave badly to Tosca. Betrayal also plays a big part in the Opera Tosca because Tosca believes that Cavaradossi is cheating on her with another person.
The plot of Tosca is how two lovers, an artist (Cavaradossi) and a singer (Tosca) are persecuted by a police chief (Scarpia). When they try to escape the torments from the police chief, they do not succeed, and death takes its toll on the lovers and the police chief.
The resolution of the opera is that Tosca, Angelotti, Cavaradossi, and Scarpia all end up dead because Tosca was jealous and told Scarpia about everything that he needed to know to find Angelotti. She trusted him to give her and Cavaradossi a safe passage out of Rome unharmed. In Tosca, jealousy and suspicion never have a good conclusion to them.
The play Tosca is a tragedy about two lovers that come to a sad end because of the flaws of one person, Tosca. When Tosca betrays her lover Cavaradossi, the betrayal ends the relationship with two cruel deaths. In Tosca, the jealousy and suspicion leads to four unruly deaths.
In Tosca, the pitch the pitch that the singers sang had a range from bass to soprano. Nitescu sang mezzo-soprano, second highest a woman can sing, and hit all of the notes. Arancam sang as a tenor, the highest a man can sing, although it sounded low to the audience. Statensko was a baritone (second lowest a man can sing), and sang beautifully and fit the character of Scarpia perfectly. Glavin, a bass (lowest a man can sing), sang so well, everyone wanted to hear more. There is a range from soprano to bass, and all of the characters sang their pitch beautifully.
Tosca, Cavaradossi, and Scarpia all had wonderful voices, although not all of them had enough timbre in their voices. In all of the romantic scenes with Cavaradossi, Tosca had a soft voice, but when she was speaking to Scarpia, she was literally spitting out her words. Throughout the whole opera, it was easier to tell Cavaradossi’s mood from the acting rather than the timbre. Scarpia did not change his tone of voice very often, but that was probably because Scarpia was evil the whole time, so he did not need to change his timbre a lot. The characters had superb voices, but not all of them had enough feeling and emotion in their voices.
The volume in Tosca was mostly loud because the opera singers had to project their voices, but sometimes, their voices were louder than other times. Tosca tended to make her voice loud when she was angry or being touched by Scarpia, but when she was usually singing, the volume was mostly the same. Cavaradossi tended to keep his voice at the same volume the whole show. Scarpia made his voice louder when he was excited, but when he was just singing regularly, it sounded as loud as Tosca’s voice. There were many volumes, but not all of the singers sang in different volumes.
In Tosca there was not much harmony. Only at times Tosca and Cavaradossi were singing at the same time. Most of the time the singers were singing solos. The solos sounded beautiful, although the audience probably wanted some duets, also. The harmony that was there was beautiful, though.
The only people who showed the mood were Tosca and Sacristan. Cavaradossi did not have much mood in his voice, but Scarpia always sounded evil. Tosca’s voice had many different emotions. Tosca felt romantic when she was with Cavaradossi (and sang that way, too), but when she was with Scarpia, her voice sounded angry, like she couldn’t stand him, practically spitting out the words. Sacristan’s voice sounded scared when he was hobbling around, eating from the basket. Even though not all of the characters had a mood in their voices, the opera had amazing singers, and everyone in the theater could still tell how the actors were feeling.
Come to see the extraordinary production of Tosca. Anyone who appreciates opera will love the music and vocals. Tosca is an opera that will blow the audience away with the singing, acting, and special effects. Tosca is recommended for people ages ten and older, because of some of the situations Scarpia puts Tosca in (when he is groping her). Tosca is definitely an opera everyone should see.
When we saw the performance of “Tosca” there were things that really stood out for me. One thing was when they opened the door in the wall to the dungeon where Cavaradossi was being tortured. I expected it to be a solid steel door. Another thing I liked was when Mario got shot. I liked it because I wasn’t expecting a gun shot that real, including a flash and sound effects. The last thing I noticed was when Tosca jumped off the castle. It was so high up and the jump happened so quickly.
I would highly recommend the opera “Tosca” for these reasons. It was very good.
I really loved the opera “Tosca” because it was so dramatic! For example, I really liked the part where Tosca kept telling Cavaradossi to make Mary Magdalene’s eyes black because she was jealous of her in the portrait. another part I liked the most was the shots because they popped up out of nowhere. When it happened I was shocked; it felt like my heart stopped for a second.
I knew what was going on in the opera because I remembered the parts from reading the libretto. I knew why Tosca stabbed Scarpia in the heart. The part I wasn’t prepared for was the gun shots that killed Mario since they happened so quickly.
The main thing that stood out to me was the love between Cavaradossi and Tosca. They trusted each other and it showed, especially when Tosca knew Cavaradossi would forgive her for killing Scarpia. Also they acted and sang together like they were in love.
I really loved “Tosca”. It was really exciting, I knew what was going on and the love between the main characters felt genuine.
The opera “Tosca” was very interesting because of it’s great costumes, props and effects and acting. It was also easy to understand what was going on.
One interesting thing was the costumes. One example is when Angelotti did really look like he just escaped from prison because his cloak was shredded and the knee caps of his pants were ripped. Also Cavaradossi looked like he actually got beaten up after Scarpia tortured him. I also noticed that Tosca usually entered the stage with a beautiful shawl on. You could also tell that Scarpia was wealthy because he always wore fancy clothes.
Another interesting part of the opera was its props and effects. My favorite effect was when the soldiers “fired” their guns at Cavaradossi and they made loud gunshot sounds and light shot out of them. My favorite prop was the knife that Tosca used to stab Scarpia while he was writing a safe conduct for her and Mario.
It was easy to understand because of the supertitles on the screen above the stage. It was also easy for me because I had already read the libretto.
Tosca was very well acted and sung. It looked like they practiced really hard because you could tell they felt what they were saying by the tones of their voices. “Tosca” was a great opera and I really enjoyed it.
I think the opera “Tosca” was better on stage than when we did it in our classroom. On stage it was definitely more realistic and dramatic. The drama made the whole thing come together: Tosca and Cavaradossi trying to be together, Scarpia and his love for Tosca, her killing Scarpia for torturing her love. It was very dramatic that when Tosca and Cavaradossi finally get to be free together, Cavaradossi ends up getting killed.
When we had the second intermission I wanted to know what was gonna happen next. When the guy said there were going to be gunshots I was waiting impatiently for it. I think that was the best scene in the opera.
When I came back home I told my family about the opera. They said they should have been my chaperone. If I were to grade this opera I would give it an ‘A’. This was my first opera and it was amazing, I want to go again!
I think people should see the opera “Tosca” because of the excitement, drama and suspense. One of the exciting parts was when Mario was shot. Even though the gunshots were a sound effect, Mario fell as if he actually got shot. “Tosca” has a lot of drama because of all the love scenes, Tosca’s jealousy and Scarpia’s ruthlessness. This is all the more reason that “Tosca” is a great opera and you should watch it.
There is so much suspense in “Tosca”. For example, when Angelotti was with Mario in the church, I thought they were going to be caught by the police, but it was only Tosca.
When Scarpia sends his men to get Angelotti, I wondered what would happen to him. But then they reveal that Angelotti committed suicide. Finally, when the gunshots fired at Mario, I thought he’d still be alive because Tosca told him it was to be a fake execution and to get up, but he dies.
I hope you make the decision to go see “Tosca”.
I went to the opera “Tosca” with my class and I liked it a lot. There was action, singing and lots of dramatic scenes. I also think the costumes were great. I especially liked when Cavaradossi died, Tosca’s singing was amazing. She was crying and singing at the same time! I think that must have been hard for her, but with the practice she had, it was great!
Tosca was filled with action. When Mario died the gunshots were very loud, and Tosca was very sorrowful. Also it was dramatic when Tosca jumped off the Sant’ Angelo castle and died. There was a lot of action in that scene; people chasing Tosca, Tosca climbing the ladders and then her leaping off towards her death.
In the opera there was a lot of singing. Throughout the play every line was sung. When Mario was being tortured, he was singing. When Mario died, Floria was singing while she was crying.
There were also lots of dramatic scenes, like when Tosca killed Scarpia. Or when Mario was in prison and he was writing his letter. Or when the gunshots went off.
That was why I loved “Tosca”. There was action, lots of singing and a lot of dramatic scenes. I think everyone would enjoy “Tosca” as much as I did.
The opera “Tosca” was very exciting! I especially liked the ending. The opera was not boring at all. I could really understand what was going on. The costumes were pretty cool and the actors did a great job!
My favorite parts were when Cavaradossi got shot and the ending when Tosca jumped off of the tower. When the soldiers shot Cavaradossi I was very surprised, shocked and scared. It seemed really realistic when that happened. When Tosca jumped off the tower, I saw her legs sort of bounce back up, but they weren’t supposed to do that. I still loved that part a lot anyway.
Throughout the whole opera I could understand what was happening. There weren’t any parts that were confusing. The supertitles helped me understand what they were saying. One very funny line that Tosca repeated to Cavaradossi was something like “Remember to paint her eyes black!”, referring to the painting of Mary Magdalene he was working on. That part was pretty funny.
I loved the costumes that they wore. Tosca seemed to always wear some sort of shawl with her elegant dresses. Mario Cavaradossi wore this white shirt and then at the end it had blood on it, from being tortured and shot, but it wasn’t very realistic.
All of the actors were great to watch! Floria Tosca and Mario Cavaradossi really looked like they were in love. Evil Scarpia really acted like he was an evil dude. It also looked like Angelotti had been in prison. It must have been hard for them to have to sing in another language, and they must have practiced a lot. They did a great job.
The whole opera was exciting, easy to understand and the costumes were cool. Everyone did a great job!
Ondrea
Russell Byers Charter School
5th Grade
The opera “Tosca” was great. What I especially liked about the opera was when Cavaradossi gets shot. I liked this scene because it was so realistic, like in the movies.
I liked when Angelotti escaped from prison and tried to get help from Cavaradossi but Scarpia figures out that he has escaped. Then Scarpia tried to punish Cavaradossi until he confesses, but Tosca tells him first.
I didn’t know that there were going to gun shots. They were loud and surprising and shot out flashes of light.
The part that stood out the most for me was when Tosca jumped off of the battlement, it was well done. Overall I really liked the opera.
I really enjoyed the opera “Tosca”. It was very funny, dramatic and realistic. A funny scene was when Tosca saw the painting of Mary Magdalene, painted by Cavaradossi. She was very jealous because she thought the painting was of Angelotti’s sister. Tosca thinks that the painting is prettier than she is, since she has noticeably blue eyes. So Tosca told Mario to make the eyes darker. Also it was funny when the Sacristan kept complaining like a little boy, while cleaning Cavaradossi’s paint brushes, saying the brushes were filthier than an urchin’s collar.
Also “Tosca” was very dramatic. For example, when Tosca was climbing the Castel Sant’ Angelo she kept throwing things, so the guards and Spoletta wouldn’t catch her since she was going to jump off and kill herself. When Cavaradossi had to “pretend” he was getting shot in front of Tosca, he really died because it was a set up from Scarpia. But Tosca didn’t know he really died, which led her to jump off the Castel Sant’ Angelo.
Lastly, the production of “Tosca” was very realistic. For example, when Cavaradossi got tortured by Scarpia his face and costume were bloody. He looked like he had actually been tortured. Also when Scarpia got stabbed twice by Tosca he moved in the position with each stab and it looked real. And when Angelotti escaped from the prison, he looked like he had been in prison for a very long time.
I really liked the opera “Tosca”. It was funny, very dramatic and very realistic. It was a great experience.
My favorite part was when Tosca killed Scarpia.And at the church in act 1 when the priest was there.My favorite character was Cavaradossi.
Jaqui
Russell Byers Charter School
I really liked “Tosca”. It was a great opera and was a wonderful experience for me, since this was my first time at an opera.
I really enjoyed the singing and acting. It felt so real. The character Angelotti looked as though he had escaped from prison with his clothes all torn up. When Cavaradossi was getting tortured it seemed like it actually hurt and was very bloody. His makeup on his face was very good. I also really loved all of Tosca’s dresses and liked how she always had a nice shawl.
In the beginning Cavaradossi painted a picture of Mary Magdalene and when Tosca saw the picture she got very jealous. She thought the picture looked like Angelotti’s sister who had blonde hair and blue eyes. But then Tosca told Cavaradossi to paint the eyes black like hers instead of blue. As Cavaradossi and Tosca were talking, he kept on saying he loved her and Tosca was like “Yes, I love you too, but remember to paint the eyes black!” I found that very funny.
The opera “Tosca” was amazing! There were many scary parts! For example, there were canon sound effects when Cavaradossi was getting interrogated by Scarpia, the evil baron. Also, in act three Cavaradossi got shot! It wasn’t real, but it seemed like it was because the guns were pointed at him and I was in shock when the guns went BOOM! It looked so real.
I really liked the opera “Tosca”. It was amazing and scary at the same time. I loved the high, loud operatic voices and the acting was wonderful. It was a big experience that I finally got to have.
Dallas
Russell Byers Charter school
5th grade
Craig
Grade:5th
Russell Byers Charter School
Jetae
Grade 5
Russell Byers Charter Shool
tim
grade 5
russell byers charter school
Jamal
5th grade
Russell Byers Charter School
Steven
grade5
Russell Byers Charter School
Parris
Grade 5
Russell Byers Charter School
JANIYA
GRADE 5
Russell Byers Charter School
Nia
Grade 5
Russell Byers Charter School
Kennay, 16 Girls High.
Aspect literary:
In the opera Tosca, all of the actors have definite character types, so following the characters was easy. I recommend doing a little research before hand so you can better understand the deep conversations where a lot of things are learned. Because the play is in Italian they have subtitles, but it’s hard to focus on the characters and pay attention to the subtitles. All of the characters were great singers and portrayed their part beautifully.
It is easy to follow the plot line of the opera Tosca and the escapee prisoner, Angelotti. The setting takes place in beautiful Italy, during the time in which Napoleon was invading. It starts in a beautiful little church where Cavaradossi works. There is also Scarpia’s home in which Cavaradossi is tortured. Along with the prison in which Cavaradossi was held and later executed. The conflicts in this opera are fairly simple. Tosca, a jealous lover, is suspicious of Cavaradossi. Cavaradossi needs to hide Angelotti from Scarpia. Scarpia wants Tosca’s love along with Angelotti and Cavarodossi’s life. The characters, consisting of Tosca, Cavaradossi, Angelotti, Scarpia, Sacristan, Spoletta, a jailer, a shepherd boy, and Sciarrone all play a part in making this play run.
The theme of Tosca is that the characters flaws all end up bringing their despise, because they were not able to correct their flaws to save them selves and their loved ones in time. I recommend this play to those who think they can handle the deepness and Italian music of Tosca. If you do choose to see Tosca I recommend doing your research before hand.
Isaiah
Giacomo Puccini’s opera, Tosca was based on a more 1700s time period set in Rome. Tosca is a romantic story about a woman who was prepared to run away with her lover, Mario Cavaradossi, but ends up coming to a fateful end when Cavaradossi is executed for helping an escaped prisoner hide on his land.
The Visual settings were very authentic, by my view; everything was set to date. The scaffolding creaked at every step; the ladder broke when Tosca pushed it away from her. Scarpia’s office, for example. The lighting was perfect to make the average viewer think or assume that the office was real. The light was placed so that you thought that it was really dusk.
Symbolism is critical in operas. In Tosca, there were many different set symbols The Eagle Tosca placed at the end of Scarpia’s body after she stabbed him to death, was a sign of government, of which Scarpia was associated with. The crucifix was a sign of either religion, or that Scarpia used religions to lured people into his office to use them. The Madonna is a sign in a church that is believed to be the mother of Jesus Christ. Symbols on the set are key materials on the stage when performing.
The set elevation was a very important part of operas. Many of the elevations were very creaky, as was the whole set, although many of the products from long ago are not in the best shape. I think that the whole set could be a lot better if everything was a little more realistic, in the tense that everything could be a bit more dramatic. In all, the set elevations were top rate.
Costumes. Very good. Not exactly what people wear today, but that just made the whole opera better. The opera depended on the costumes for the whole set to work. Without the costumes, the opera doesn’t have an authentic setting, or set. Many of the costumes create a feeling of the character. If they are wearing something nice, then they are either nice, or well clothed, vice versa.
The visual views on the opera Tosca were magnificent. They contrasted the setting of the opera, and the feelings or personality of a character. The settings were one of the most important part of the opera, and if they weren’t portrayed well, then neither was the opera itself.
Sam
Tosca is a tragic opera with lots of violence produced by the Philadelphia Opera Company. AWW went to the final dress rehearsal to review the aspects of the opera. Tosca was a sad tragedy with everyone dying in the end. The opera had 3 acts and the set changed for each one. The visual aspects for Tosca were great and changed each act.
For the 1st act the characters were in a church where Cavaradossi is painting a picture of Mary Magdalene. Carvaradossi is on top of a temporary wooden stairway to paint a picture. There is a statue of the Madonna to pray at and there is an alter with seat in front of it. The 2nd act is inside the Palazzo Farnese. It has 3 doors, one of them hidden. Scarpia is redecorating the room so the wallpaper is missing during the act. There are 3 tables and a small window, which emits little light. There is also a large window so you can hear Tosca singing during the act. The 3rd act starts in a prison room with a small bar window, but the characters quickly move to the top of the roof of Castel Sant’Angelo. There is a tower and broken walls and a statue of an eagle.
There are many symbols during the act, but the most important is the eagle, which shows the government. When Scarpia is killed the eagle is placed at his feet to show his power has fallen. Also on the roof during Act 3 there is an eagle to show the power. Also at the end of the Act 1 the head of the church is holding a globe to show the church. In the 3rd act there is a crane to show the old world ideas being destroyed by new ideas.
The play elevation is mostly flat but there are a few exceptions. For example, during Act 1 there is the staircase for the painting. There are also many seat and a alter a few feet above the ground. In act it is flat except for a few tables. In the 3rd act there is a crane, which Tosca jumps off of at the end of the 3rd act. The cranes is about 30 feet above the ground and very large
There were many props used during the play. In the 1st act there is a basket with food, which the prisoner eats, and paintbrushes to paint a picture. There are also flags, which the church people hold at the end of the act. In the 2nd act there is a pen and paper to write with and a knife, which is used to kill Scarpia. There are also tables, a cane for whipping people and a secret door, which leads to a torture chamber. In the 3rd act there are guns, which are used to kill Carvardossi, there is a cloth and stool when Cavrardossi is in prison. There is also a ring, which the jail guard is bribed with and paper to write Cavardossi’s final farewell to Tosca.
The play was based in Rome in 1800 so the costumes look like clothes from that time periods. Tosca wears elaborate long dress throughout the play. Scarpia wear knickers over a white shirt. Angelotti wears simple prison clothes. Carvardossi was wearing white shirts under an apron to protect the clothes. After the 2nd act he is wearing a bloodstained white shirt. The people in church wore church clothing. The firing squad wore soldier’s clothes and Scarpis men wore black clothes.
This opera is highly recommended because of the great visual effect, the awesome theme and the grand voices of the actors. Even if you are really high up you can still see and hear the actors and if you go you will have a truly enjoyable
By Lucy 31 BCMS
The final dress rehearsal of “Tosca” by the Philadelphia Opera Company on April 27th was a renowned performace. The class of AW&W has never seen anything like it. Everyone should see this opera.
Acting is critical on stage. The acting by Thiago Arancam, an actor debuting in the OCP, was very believable. His singing was especially dramatic. Thiago fit Mario Cavaradossi’s role perfectly, but Adina Nitescu may not have fit the role of Tosca. While Adina’s acting and singing were extraordinary, her appearance wasn’t completely appropriate for the role of Floria Tosca. This may seem shallow, but it is true. Without saying that she didn’t perform well, the casting team could have found a better fit. Overall the actors performed well.
The acoustics in the theater were extraordinary. At one point, my ears actually hurt it was so loud, which could be positive or negative. While the theatre’s acoustics were great, some singing wasn’t. Scarpia’s voice, while it was good, was missing some character. He could have done something to draw the audience in. Excluding that, the three acts were wonderfully deafening.
The scenes did not include the audience. The only point they did, was at the end, where cast comes out. Even though, the audience loved it, anyway. No one seemed to dislike “Tosca”.
The cast of “Tosca” only used the stage to act on. While it was a small space, they made it seem enormous. They put small sets in each scene to made it indoors and did this offstage. They even sang offstage to make the space seem bigger. Throughout all of the acts, “Tosca” made a petite room into a great arena.
The subtitles were helpful to some, but for those who were attentive, they could figure out what was happening by the scene and the actors. They could enjoy the Italian singing and acting instead of painfully staring up at the subtitles the entire time. The class of AW&W was taught to watch the stage, not the subtitles.
The opera “Tosca” is one that should not be missed. Everyone in the theatre seemed to love the Final Dress Rehearsal. Almost every part of “Tosca” was amazing.
The opera tragedy Tosca (final dress rehearsal) by Giacomo Puccini, viewed on April 27th in the Philadelphia Academy of Music was superb in terms of visual art. The theater was brilliant as it had gold painted columns with statues. The seats were also very comfy!
The design of the set portrayed 1800’s Rome brilliantly. The Act I set of the Church was great as it showed everything you would expect in a typical Roman church of this time period, the mist also added to the almost eeriness of the church. The Act II set of Scarpia’s chamber were excellent as it showed a rich leader’s chamber with classical style paintings. The final set of the city at dawn with the gallows and the stars in the background was superb as it displayed urban 1800’s Rome.
The costumes were fantastic as they showed the 1800’s in a unique way and are very important in an opera of this time period. The performer’s costumes were very realistic and added realism to the story such as after Cavaradossi was tortured he stumbled back in with his shirt soaked in blood. The costumes also helped you tell what time after the last act you were such as when Tosca scarlet dress showed she had just been to her performance.
The elevations of the opera were great as they displayed everything to all members of the audience. They also added realism such as when Cavaradossi was painting and when Tosca jumped of the building. In Act II it made you feel small in comparison to the massive windows and big room which was .
The symbolism was also utilized very well in Tosca as it showed the high religious values of people of that time, such as when they showed the crucifix and the representation of God with the sun and on top of the goblet. It also showed how powerful the government was when they showed the eagle above the defeated French flags after the Battle of Marengo. Also when Scarpia was murdered Tosca placed the eagle instead of a crucifix at his feet I believe this showed that he only used religion in order to gain power.
The props were very important in the play as they brought the opera to life. Cavaradossi’s paints and Tosca’s knife among others all looked very realistic. The actors used the props to full effect, such as when Tosca killed Scarpia with the knife and when Cavaradossi painted the painting with the paints.
Overall I thought the opera Tosca was brilliant and I would highly recommend it to any and all opera lovers!
The setting in Tosca, Italy, was displayed amazingly. In the first act the setting in the church had huge pillars and was displayed has great. In the second act, at Scarpia’s house, had windows that opened along with doors and a torture chamber. The third act was the jail and death scene they had a statue that was held by a crane, an oil tank, and so much more.
Tosca was very jealous of Cavaradossi and when she “killed” Scarpia, she did an amazing job. Cavaradossi sounded very good when he was in pain, when he was tortured. Scarpia, an evil cruel character, Bravo as well, he did such a good job that the audience started booing at him during curtain call because he did such a good job.
The plot in the first act was when Angelotti found Cavaradossi and started to plan what would happen to Angelotti. The plot in the second act was when Tosca murdered Scarpia. The climax was also when Tosca killed Scarpia. Then, in the third act the plot was when Tosca told Cavaradossi that they could leave the country. The plot was done very well, thanks to the subtitles, that I understood because the opera was in Italian.
There were many conflicts in the story but the main conflict was in the second act when Scarpia was sexually abusing Tosca. In act 1 the main conflict was that Angelotti escaped from prison. In the 2nd act the conflict was when Scarpia was trying to kiss Tosca. In act 3 the conflict was when Cavaradossi died. The conflicts were done very well however, I was a little disappointed when Tosca killed Scarpia, however the scene needed some blood.
The theme of Tosca was that jealousy is not good. This is because in the opera, Tosca thought that Cavaradossi was seeing another girl. Tosca became jealous but Cavaradossi was not seeing another girl he was helping Angelotti. When Tosca wanted to know if Cavaradossi was seeing another woman Cavaradossi denied it. Tosca almost broke up with him. In this story the premise was jealousy leads to death.
Tosca was an amazing play overall. However, from a kids’ view I would be very bored because kids are more interested in action not tragedy. Many amazing voices from, Adina Nitescu; Tosca, Thiago Aracam; Cavaradossi, Boris Statsenko; Scarpia, Daniel Mobbs; Angelotti, Kevin Glavin; Sacristan, Christopher Tiesi; Spoletta, and Brandon Cedel; Sciarrone. Many amazing voices from bass to soprano. Bravo to all, Brava to Adina Nitescu!
The set design was decent. The actors mainly occupied the front and center of the stage, where they were most visible. Some elevations were harder to see then others. When Cavaradossi was in the jail cell, there was minimal lighting, so it was harder to see him. The artistic work in the scenes was amazing, and it was extremely realistic to its time period. The set design of this play was fine, but would be advantageous if the audience could view the characters more easily.
The climbable set elevations were amazing. The first elevation in the first act was scaffolding to reach a large painting. The second elevation was the tower of which Tosca used to committed suicide. Other elevations were not climbable, but still affected the scene dramatically. For example, in the second act, there were large windows and a large door. It gave the impression that Scarpia was wealthy and powerful. The elevations in the set were an important part of Tosca.
The props in this play were interesting. At the beginning, they used smoke in the chapel to give it the effect that it was a holy place. Also, there was a statue that Tosca was praying to in the chapel. At the end, they used simulated gunshots to make the execution more dramatic. The props in this play also made a large difference in Tosca.
The costumes in this play were very practical to their time period. The men wore mostly dark clothes and Tosca wore bright colored clothing. Cavaradossi wore a white shirt. After Cavaradossi was tortured, the whiter shirt he was wearing was stained in blood and blood flowed out of his cheek and temples. The chorus wore all red with a white shirt. The costumes helped Tosca to be more realistic and a pleasure to watch.
The symbols that appeared in the set were sterling. In the chapel, there was the crucifix. In the second scene, when Tosca kills Scarpia, she put two burnt candles by his hands. It symbolized that the angry fire burning inside him was extinguished. Scarpia was dead. Because Scarpia used religion to control people, Tosca put a stone eagle at his feet, symbolizing government and power. The symbols were not a key part of this opera, but they helped to improve it.
Over all, this opera was terrific in the terms of its visual effects. The set designers and costume designers did a great job designing this opera’s costumes and set. They used symbols, elevations, props and costumes to make Tosca extremely realistic, beguiling, and a pleasure to watch. This opera is highly recommended in terms of its visual arts.
The tempo of the opera was always alternating. For instance, at intense moments, the music would crescendo, which means to burst with sound. At moments when the scene was full of happiness and joy, the music would be adagio, which means slow. The tempo was certainly appropriate for music to flow with a slow, repetitive rhythm.
Timbre is the tone color if unique qualities of sound. The timbre of “Tosca” was made up of violins, violas, cellos, bass, flutes, drums, and trumpets. They usually played at parts that were intense or the parts that were full of happiness and joy. This effected the opera by making more epic and exciting than it actually was.
Dynamics is the volume, which is the loudness or softness of sound. The dynamics of “Tosca” were changing all the time. When one part of an act was most exciting, the volume would crescendo, then decrescendo. I think the volume was appropriate for “Tosca” because they played at the most suspenseful moments and were always on time. This effects “Tosca” by making the instruments match the moods of the actors.
The texture of an orchestra is the layering of instruments or voices to make a thin or full feeling. The texture of “Tosca” was made of 5 instruments which were the violins, violas, cellos, bass, and flutes. In one part of the Act 3, these instruments made a full, strong feeling which made the music incredibly intense and full of life. In one part of Act 1 the orchestra played the most beautiful music, which gave the act a nice, thin feeling.
In terms of this particular art, I would say that “Tosca” would be on top of the list of “Best Operas of 2011” in my opinion. This was my first opera and I thought it was the best opera ever. I hope you will be able to see “Tosca” yourself one day, though I would not recommend this opera for children 10 & under. It was a great experience for me, and I am sure that it will be a great experience for you too.
The Tragic performance of Tosca is an Italian Tragedy play written by Puccinim, 1889 at Rome. We watched the final dress rehearsal at the Academy of Music on Wednesday 4/27/11 at 2:00. This tragedy performance of Tosca where the ending was terrifying and where most died; was a cutting-edge eighteenth-century play that was fantastic through the visual arts of Opera.
The set design throughout the play looked so realistic and old. The church in the first act looked like a real church, especially from the altar, the statue and the huge marble like columns. The smoke in the air was a very “cool” affect that really wrapped up the whole church scene. In the second act, Scarpia’s house was very large with a dinner table and desk. I thought walls were elaborate because they were so big and they added huge paintings, which made the whole house fabulous. In the third act, the stars in the background, the buildings on the left of the stage really stood out to me. It really showed me that the scene took place outside.
The set symbolism is really critical in many different operas; in particular, it was really used well in Tosca. Like Scarpia and Spolleta’s cane. They didn’t use the cane because they have a bad back but they used the cane for hitting people, to show they have power. The crucifix also really showed that the play was catholic, including the sun statue of Jesus. In the second act, when Tosca killed Scarpia, I thought it was really interesting that she put two candles on either side of him, and an eagle instead of the crucifix. That was the important symbol to me, of all of the performance.
With the set elevation in different parts of the performance, it really stood out for me in the second act when the walls, windows, and the doors were all so big, it made all the characters look a bit smaller. In the first act, it was fascinating that they had the huge stairs there on the right. I think it made the painting really stand out, and when Cavaradossi stood over the Sacristan, it made him look like he had more power. In the last act, when Tosca was about to jump off, it really showed that she was about to doing something outrageous because she was in the highest elevation.
The props really told me what the character did for a job or of what happened to him. It especially stood out to me again, that Scarpia and Spolleta carried canes. The wall in act 3 also stood out to me because it was the only thing that really lit up. Even though there was a floating wall, it told me that Mario Cavaradossi was in jail.
The costumes of the characters were really well designed. What really fascinated me was that Angelotti’s clothing was ripped, old, and dirty looking because he ran away from a jail. I also thought Tosca’s dresses were very elegant. Scarpia’s, Spolleta’s and Scarione’s shirts also were first-class.
Overall I thought this opera was a must watch opera. All the elements really fit together and I would love to watch this opera again. I only think they should add sound affects when Spolleta hits Cavaradossi or if there is a “little blood” when Tosca kills Scarpia. I also think there should be a “Thud” when Tosca jumps off to kill herself.
The play was not geared toward the younger audience, which featured grades 4 to 12. The audience had to deal with some mature parts. Even though some sections were tough to deal with, other parts grabbed the audience’s attention. They audience could laugh at little side actions the actors did and was shocked by the gunfire near the end. At the end, instead of saying bravo for evil Scarpia, the audience booed, showing how well Boris Statsenko played his part and how the audience was drawn in by his performance.
Most of the actors showed their character’s character extremely well. Boris Statsenko won not only boos from the kids but also boos from some adults for his perfect job of the part of the evil Baron Scarpia. While he was able to be a perfect villain, Kevin Glavin proved a great cocaine inhaling, side talking, take-a-swing-of-someone-else’s-wine Sacristan. He managed to get the audience to smile and laugh from his actions and expressions.
The subtitles were not geared toward the young audience but the adult audience seeing it during the real performance another day. The subtitles did not show all the lines and weren’t always on time. This was okay because the subtitles were only meant to be used as an aid for understanding the play. They weren’t meant to be the only device the audience was supposed to use to understand the opera. This was to help keep the focus on the opera itself.
The space was used well. The using the space on the play was meant to be in the way people would do in real life. Most people do not use all the space they are given completely. Throughout the play it was hard to only focus on the space anyway, because the volume and motions of the actors kept you preoccupied.
The actors were loud and clear. The Italian words had emotion most of the time. The sound and clarity remained mostly the same throughout the play. There were no ears being hurt from the music being too loud nor was it hard to hear the wonderful melodies.
This opera is recommended. Most of the actors played their parts extremely well. The audience can certainly be absorbed by not only the little actions here and there but the main actions of this timely opera as well. All lovers of opera should come and enjoy this play while they can.
In Act I, the scene opens in a church. On the right side of the stage, there is scaffolding. Above the scaffolding, there is a painting. On the scaffolding, there is a canvas. To the left side of the stage, there is a statue of Madonna. In the background, smoke machines and lack of lighting make the perfect nighttime scene. Come Act II, the opening is a large room with impressively painted walls that depict people and religious ceremonies. In the final act, Act III, Cavaradossi (played by Thiago Arancam) sits alone in the ruins of a building.
The costumes that the characters wear change throughout the play. In Act I, Angelotti (played by Daniel Mobbs) wears ragged clothes, and a worn black cloak, after his escape from jail. Cavaradossi wears a brown coat and vest, with a white shirt. The jealous Floria Tosca (played by Adina Nitescu) is wearing an elaborate sky blue dress and a fine white scarf. Evil Scarpia, (played by Boris Statsenko) wears a black jacket and cloak. The jacket that he wears has silver buttons on it. His two minions, Spolletta (played by Christopher Tiesi) and Sciarrone (Brandon Cedel) both wear black jackets and cloaks. They, as well as Scarpia, hold black canes. In Act II, Spolletta and Scairrione wear their previous costumes, but Scarpia is dressed in a grey-black coat, inlaid with silver stitching. Tosca wears a gold crown, red dress, and a red and black cape. Cavaradossi is dragged in wearing his coat and vest, but undergoes a transformation to a bloodstained shirt during his torture behind a hatch in the wall. In the final Act III, Tosca runs to Cavaradossi to tell him his will be a mock execution. She is wearing a black and purple dress. The firing squad soon comes, and they are all dressed in black and blue uniforms, except for their captain, who wears a black uniform with red details.
The props in the opera are amazing. In Act II, Tosca stabs Scarpia with a silver dinner knife. In Act III, Cavaradossi is shot, and the guns make a realistic BANG and when fired, a flash and smoke appear.
Through the play, there are many symbolic references. In Act I, battle worn French flags are waved, representing the war with Napoleon. Also, Scarpia holds a golden sun to represent god. In Act II, when Tosca kills Scarpia, she puts two candles at his sides, and considers putting a cross at his feet, but she instead puts an Eagle, symbolizing that he had thought that government was more important than religion.
In Act I, scaffolding makes your eye fall to the painting, and when Cavaradossi sees Angelotti, and his height gives the sense of power. In Act II, The huge windows represent a feeling of the power that Scarpia holds, and in Act III, a tall crane is Tosca’s tool to suicide.
Tosca is a dramatic must-see opera for those who love the visual arts. With elaborate costumes, and detailed scenery, this is an opera worth seeing. It is a work of art itself.
Part 1
Giacomo Puccini’s Tosca Final Dress Rehearsal occurred on Wednesday, April 27, 2011. The instrumental music was a major part of this amazing opera. Actually, the opera depended on the instruments to accompany them throughout this performance. The instruments were the effect that brought on the joy, the drama, or the sadness.
The instruments played throughout Tosca were very important and affected the play strongly. The instruments accompanied the singers when they sang. For example, when Cavaradossi would sing with his tenor voice, the cello would accompany his beautiful voice, because the cello is a tenor instrument. It was amazing when Cavaradossi and Tosca were singing together; the instruments immediately switched from dark and somber sounds (tenor), to high pitched (soprano). Each instrument has a different emphasis. For example, the nature of violins has a joyful effect. The woodwinds would have a smooth and flowing soft sound, sometimes romantic. The drums can play slowly and get louder to build suspense. Tubas have a very low tone, which would play along and build drama. Their low tone can also have effect on a male’s tenor singing voice. The timbre of an instrument is used at different times of the performance, most often emphasizing the actors’ moods.
The composition in Tosca was very repetitive. I noticed that every act started with the same melody. It started softly and quietly with a couple instruments and built when other instruments played along. There was a lot of repetition in this piece. I think that every act had the same pieces, but played in different times. The reason why the audience didn’t notice was because of the change of scenes. Also, other instruments played together, and then switched to another group. For example, in Act 3, the strings all played together, and then swiftly switched to the woodwind. This type of variation is also known as ABA. The tension is this opera was very strong. It grabbed attention from the audience, and made the opera quite lively. It emphasized the emotions and moods of the actors. The composition had a major effect on the sound, especially because of the tension the instruments caused.
Part 2
While listening to the opera, I found that many instruments were playing in harmony. This means that many of the instruments have different parts, but work and sound very well together. When instruments play together, they make a texture. For example, the violin, the flute, the trumpets are all soprano instruments. Then the viola, oboe, and the French horn, are all alto. Tenor or baritone instruments would include the cello, the clarinet and trombone. Finally, the bass instruments include the double bass, and the tuba. However, there are also percussion instruments such as the snare drum (the smallest of all), the tenor drums (also known as tom-toms), timpani and bass drum. These groups of instruments would play together according to the pitch of the singers’ voices. Different groups would work together and create a different texture, or tone. A maestro may also want his players playing together, and make it louder and more joyful.
The volume of the instruments was unquestionably important. The volume of instruments also often depended on the tempo. For example, in Act 1, Cavaradossi and Tosca were happy together and the tempo was very fast, so was the volume. The volume in this opera was one of the most important agent of the drama, joy, or sadness (after the tempo). It completely changed the mood of the actors. The volume of an actor is often changed according to the volume of the actor’s singing. The volume in Act 1 and Act 3 were very loud. This is because the volume of the performers was also loud. Overall, the volume in this opera averaged mezzo forte (mf).
The tempo was moderately fast, or allegro. I realized that the mood of the actors affected the speed of the tempo. At the start of each act, the orchestra often starts slowly. Also, there were uneven rhythms in the beginning of the acts, although they were played very well by the orchestra. As the happiness, sadness or drama builds, the tempo would accelerate. At the end of a song performed by the actor or actors, it gets slow again. The tempo in this piece had quite an effect on the mood of the play. The faster the speed of the tempo, the more excitement. When the tempo was slower, there was often more joy. The tempo would be slower if it is dramatic, with a very low tone, building effect.
The Tosca performance is one not to miss. The orchestra handled the entire performance beautifully. Due to perfect sound and pitch, the players and the maestro must have worked very hard to make such a sound to accompany the play. In fact, the hardest part was probably the maestro’s. The maestro controlled everything: the tempo, the volume and he informed the orchestra when to play. The maestro was a perfectionist. One little flaw, and the maestro would correct the instrument players. Overall, the orchestra was the most important part of the piece (after the singing and acting): it brought life to the opera, emphasized the true mood or feelings of the actors and made the opera a truly wonderful play. The instruments in this performance did not only accompany the singing and acting, but greatly improved this opera.
Visual arts make the first impression for an audience about an opera. The planning and design of the set, the props and the costumes are important because these elements enhance the experience. While symbolism can sometimes be obscure, certain symbols in Tosca were prevalent throughout the opera, which reinforced their meaning.
Boyd Ostroff, Director of Production and Technology at the Opera Company of Philadelphia, has created a remarkable set. The set design reflects the time period in Italy in the 1800s. The set changes for each of Tosca’s acts. Act 1 is set in the church. The stage is broken up into 3 parts, with huge columns that are almost intimidating. The right section has scaffolding that draws attention to a huge painting of a woman. This painting causes Tosca’s jealousy. In center stage, chairs lead away from the audience and up to an altar with a cross and candles. To the left there is a life size statue of the Madonna, to which the pious Tosca prays and offers flowers. Act 2 is in Scarpia’s office, with huge windows and doors. Towards the top left a huge painted eagle is there to symbolize power. In the beginning of Act 3, the stage is reduced to just the down stage section by putting a wall behind Cavaradossi (This is the dungeon.). In the middle of the act, the wall comes up and suddenly the characters are on the top of the castle. To the right, there is a massive structure with ladders leading upward to the point from which Tosca leaps to her death.
Throughout the play, eagles appear in various scenes. They are all there to show the power of Rome, and in this case, Scarpia! Italy, at the time of the story, had a government tied strongly to Catholicism. Because of this, crosses are apparent in two of the acts and the entire first act takes place in a church. The crosses symbolize the sacredness of the church and its followers.
In the church in Act 1, the Madonna, surprisingly, is about the size of a human being, no bigger or smaller. There are many different heights in the play; for instance, the scaffolding is very tall, along with the crane structure in act 3. In Act 2 (Scarpia’s office), the windows, doors, and eagle painting are very big and intimidating. This accentuated Scarpia’s power, and it worked because, “All of Rome trembled before him.” –Tosca Act 3.
Props were important to the plotline of Tosca. Throughout the whole play, Spoletta (Scarpia’s second in command) carries a staff that he uses to hit Cavaradossi and to block Tosca from reaching Cavaradossi in Act 2. In the beginning of the show, Tosca offers to the Madonna showing her piety. In Act 1 in the chapel, Angelotti’s sister left him a bundle of clothes that he used to disguise himself. There is a food basket that the Sacristan gives to Cavaradossi when he was doing his work. Later, Cavaradossi gives the basket to Angelotti. That was one of the clues that led Scarpia and his team to believing that Cavaradossi assisted Angelotti in his escape.
Costumes, especially Tosca’s, demonstrate the mood of the character. At the beginning of the play, Tosca is dressed in a light blue, long gown. That showed that her mood is happy. After viewing the painting and during the second act, Tosca wears red to show she was hot with jealousy. Her golden crown on her head, and a black and red cape around her shoulders, indicated that she had come immediately from her performance. Scarpia wore a topnotch suit, with ruffles at the chest and the cuffs to show his wealth. The costumes effectively showed emotion and represented the style of the time.
Overall, the visual effects of Tosca are engaging! I recommend this opera because the visual art brings the libretto to life. In this opera, the set design team and costume team worked so hard, but in the end, did not receive recognition in the curtain call. They deserve recognition as the actors for their fine work.
The set design was always relevant to the scenes, and very creative. When the scene was in Scarpia’s room it was very spooky, and had the right furniture and props. In act 3 when Cavaradossi was sleeping, they had the right backgrounds and props because it was supposed to be like he was by himself in a dungeon, so as you can imagine the set should be very simple. They succeeded in the right set, but as Cavaradossi was leaning against the wall behind him the wall started rocking, and made the audience laugh.
I did not see any set symbols, but they did find a fan that had a woman’s crest on it and happened to be a lot of evidence for the police.
The set elevations worked really well. When Cavaradossi was painting up on the scaffolding it did not rock at all and look like real scaffolding. When Tosca realized Cavaradossi was dead she went up on these big platforms, which really didn’t have any use except for in the opera Tosca was supposed to jump off of it. My classmates and I thought that when Tosca went behind the object right before she jumps a stunt jumper or dummy jumps instead of Tosca.
The set props were very relevant to the scenes and I am glad that they used mostly real props, like a real knife and real wine. It annoys me very much when in plays they are supposed to drink something but they actually don’t. The gunshots made everyone flinch, but it was very good because it made people think that he was actually getting shot.
The set costumes were very creative. Tosca always had on very elegant dresses with sequins or gems. Cavaradossi when he was supposed to have been beat had blood on his clothes and face, and his clothes were ragged.
Overall I think that the performance of Tosca was very nice. I would recommend Tosca to any opera lovers.
This is an exciting, entertaining, and sad story. This show begins with a man who escapes from prison and hides in a well in his friend’s yard to escape detection. There are also two men, who ultimately despise one another, in love with the same woman, which causes many conflicts and leads to death. The play includes many well-executed sections including the torture, jail and execution scenes.
This over-dramatic piece contains representations of torture, murder, love, betrayal, and suicide. There are two major themes in this opera: You should not attempt to gain power by force and you should not try to make someone love you by threats
Tosca takes place in Rome, Italy in the summer of June, 1800. Specifically, it occurs in the afternoon, evening and early morning of June 17th and 18th during a revolution with France. The setting of Tosca in Italy seemed like a great location to have a romantic tragedy. And the Battle of Marengo added a menacing characteristic to some of the characters, and the opera as a whole. The scene during Act 1 is in the Church of Sant’ Anlgelo, Act 2 is in Scarpia’s castle and Act 3 is in a dungeon.
Tosca had several main characters that played big parts in this opera. They included Floria Tosca (a singer), Mario Cavaradossi (a painter), Baron Scarpia (police chief), Cesare Angelotti (former Council of the Roman Republic), A Sacristan (works for Mario, prays to God), Spoletta (police officer) and Sciarrone (French soldier).
Friendship, suspicion, jealousy, love, betrayal and murder are the main storyline of Tosca. It all revolves around Scarpia , Tosca and Mario. While trying to capture the escaped convict, Scarpia flirts with Tosca and orders Mario to be captured by his guards. Once captured, Scarpia tortures Mario until Tosca finally confesses that Angelotti is hiding in a well behind Mario’s house. This plot eventually leads to the deaths of Mario, Scarpia and Tosca.
There is one major conflict in this opera which causes many other little battles to break out among the main characters. The major conflict is when Tosca finally makes the decision to confess Angelotti’s hiding location to Scarpia. This leads to Angelotti’s capture, Scarpia’s murder and Mario’s execution. And in the long run, Tosca commits suicide by jumping off a building.
After reviewing the libretto and my notes, Tosca achieved all of its literary goals. I would recommend the opera based on the literary qualities because of the strength of its elements. The characters seem realistic to what happened in that time period, as torture was an acceptable practice, and so was being able to take power by force depending on what or who you owned or who worked for you. The dialog between the characters moves the plot along and helps the audience to better understand the literary elements.
The tempo went well with the actors and events. The tempo got more allegro when the music was more intense (“Mario, Mario, Mario!”). A slow time when what was going on in the play was during the march of the condemned, when the actors acted like they heard the music. When there was a leisurely, non-intense time (when Cavaradossi was in jail) the tempo was more Adagio. The Tempo changed depending on what was happening in the Opera.
The timbre changed throughout the play. In the intro of the play, the music had an orange color. In the beginning of the opera the colors were yellow and red. In act 2, when the music was more mysterious and when Cavaradossi was in jail, the color was the dark blue. When Tosca talks of freedom to Cavaradossi, the color was a light purple. There were different colors within the music involved throughout the play.
The volume changed throughout the opera. In the beginning of the first act the volume was mezzo forte. Later there were also the volumes of piano and fortissimo. In act 2 there were the volumes mezzo piano, mezzo forte, and forte. In act 3 in Tosca’s retelling of killing Scarpia the music was Crescendo. When Tosca tells of freedom the volume was mezzo piano. Throughout the opera, the volume changed according to the moods of actors and events that were happening. There was a wide range of volume throughout the opera.
There were a lot of medium texture points throughout the opera, though there were also some low points. In the intro of the opera there was medium texture, which was when the strings and horns families were being played. In the beginning of the first act there was low texture in which the strings family was being played. In other parts of the opera, there were only members of the woodwinds family being played, which were usually calm parts of the opera. There were more low and medium texture points throughout the opera, with rare high points, the low points usually being just strings. There was a changing texture in the opera, Tosca.
There was different composition forms throughout the opera. Throughout the play there was a rondo pattern in volume. There was also an ABA pattern in volume. There was variation in all aspects of the music, some more than others (mostly ABA patterns or rondo patterns). There was a variation of composition forms throughout the play.
The Orchestra for Tosca did well in the final dress rehearsal. There was a lot of variation in the music, which went well with the character’s emotion, and the events of Tosca although there were some mistakes in the music. There were some odd moods mostly in the first act and one in the last. Overall I highly recommend seeing Tosca looking just at the instrumental music.
Surely the Tosca opera was one of the most well composed and directed operas' I even seen. The music was on pointed and the actors was fulfilled with a lot of emotions to the point where I was on the edge of my seat. All in all I really enjoyed play, kudos to the producer, musicians and also the actors.
The Italian play, Tosca, was performed on Wednesday, 4/27/11, by the Philadelphia Opera Company. In terms of the visual aspects, Tosca was not terrible, but it could have been better. The theater appearance was amazing. The gold painted statues and pillars seemed as if they lit up the room. The balconies and the round shape of the theater complemented the opera itself. However, the set elevations, symbols, props, set design, and the costumes elicited a mixed response.
In the play there were two elevations, one in ACT I and one in ACT III. The first one was leading up to Cavaradossi’s painting of Mary Magdalene. In ACT III, the elevation was used when Tosca jumped off the “roof” of Castle Sant’Angelo. Elevations made Tosca better because, instead of people being on the ground, some people are up higher which made the play more interesting because it gave the the actors height on the stage. Elevations can be symbolic. In ACT I when Cavaradossi climbed the scaffolding and talked to the sacristan, it symbolized that he had a more important role in the play because he is higher up.
Symbolism occurs in the opera in many other ways as well. In ACT II, when Tosca kills Scarpia, she puts an eagle next to him instead of the cross. The eagle symbolizes power. In each act Tosca wore a different dress representing the mood of the act. In ACT I, she wore a light blue happy color because she was in love and happy. In ACT II she wore a red dress symbolizing the blood of Cavaradossi. Finally, in ACT III, Tosca wore a black dress. This dress was chosed to symbolize the deaths of Tosca and Cavaradossi. The symbols in Tosca added a lot to the play because they gave the audience something to contemplate after the opera.
There was many props in Tosca. In the first act, the wine basket with food was used as a prop and was given to Angelotti because he needed food. Cavaradossi had a pallet for paint because he was painting Mary Magdalene. In the second act, there were many props such as the food/wine on Scarpia’s table, the objects on Scarpia’s desk, the knife that Tosca used to kill Scarpia, the eagle statue, and more. In the last act, there were not too many props other than the guns. In all, the props were acceptable and useful, but were not realistic.
The set designs helped you understand what was happening during the different parts of the story. Both Sant’Andrea church and Castel Sant’Angelo roof were made to look like the real places. In Sant’Andrea church scene, a Madonna statue sat at the left of the stage, the scaffolding and painting was to the right, and in the middle was the altar and chairs. The mist in the background gave the room a spooky effect. Then, in ACT II, the scene was of the inside of Scarpia’s castle, which had a very detailed set including large open windows, two tables, and the door to the torture chamber. In ACT III the scene is of the roof of Castel Sant’Angelo.
The costumes in tosca were unique because they changed often. Tosca had different garments in each act. In ACT I she had a large light blue dress with buttons going down the middle. In ACT II Tosca wore a red velvet dress outlined in jewels. And finally in ACT III she wore a black dress as mentioned before. The changing of Tosca’s costumes really added to the play by creating variety. Cavaradossi in ACT I wore a painters’ outfit with long brown socks and in ACTS II and III he wore a plain white button-down. But after he was tortured in ACT II, the shirt was stained with blood. The costumes in Tosca were fairly well done but probably could have been better by making them less modern.
Over all I would rate Tosca 2.5 stars out of 5 in terms of the visual arts. I do not recommend Tosca for its set design but I most certainly recommend this play for its set symbols. The first
and last acts did not have good set design because they were not that detailed and did not look as realistic as ACT II’s design, which was very good. The costumes, elevations and props were helpful, but not outstanding. If you want to see an Opera, Tosca should not be at the top of the list.
There were so many different props and sets that made you believe you’re actually looking at the church, house or a prison. I think the director of Tosca did a very good job with the visual effects of Tosca. The costumes also seem period realistic and what the different people would wear at the different settings.
The set design and layout for Tosca is amazing, and very realistic. In the first act, the church looked like the inside of a real church. Everything was spaced realistically, and placed very well. The columns in the church looked like marble. Everything could be seen. In the second act, it was the inside of Scarpia’s house. All the props seemed to be in the place that they would be in a real house. Everything looked realistic. In the third act, the scenery was a prison. The prison wall looked realistic, except it was wobbling, and was hanging on strings that pulled it up and away in the second part of the act. The act was at night, so it showed stars in the background, and they were twinkling very realistically. The setting looked like a very appropriate place for the act. The tower (It might have been scaffolding, or a crane) looked realistic.
When Tosca killed Scarpia, she lit candles and placed them around him. She then takes the Crucifix, puts it back, and then places an Eagle on Scarpia’s body. Since the Eagle means government, Tosca was basically saying that Scarpia valued government over religion and faith, even though Scarpia acted religious.
In the first act, there were stairs leading up to Cavaradossi’s painting, and this makes you feel small. The set elevation stayed on the stage for the rest of the act. In the second act, you see the inside of Scarpia’s house. The windows were very tall, maybe 20 ft. high. This gives you the sense that Scarpia is very powerful. In the third act, the only time the elevation changes in when Tosca climbs to the top of the tower and jumps off.
There were many props in this play. I think they used the props very well and I wouldn’t have changed the number of props. In the first act, there is a painting, steps to the top, chairs, a statue, columns in the background, and many other props. These props do a very good job of showing you that the act is in a church. In the second act, there is a desk, a table, and chairs, which look like the inside of a real house. The desk also has many props, and looks like someone works there. In the third act, there is 1 prison wall, a tower, and a column with an eagle in the background. As the backdrop, there are twinkling stars. If there were more than 1 prison wall, it would have looked like a prison. Almost all of the setting was gray.
The costumes in the play looked very period realistic, and fit the character that was wearing them. Cavaradossi was wearing a white painters shirt, Tosca was wearing a dress, and the costumes were very colorful to help the character stand out. Also, after Cavaradossi got beat up, they showed fake blood on his shirt.
I think that the director of Tosca did a very good job with the visual effects. There were so many different costumes, and props, that help make the play realistic. I would highly recommend it.
LaPortia Staley, 18 Philadelphia HS for Girls
Actors and actresses are probably the most important element. How well they perform matter more than anything else. The main character was Floria Tosca, played by Adina Nitescu. This actress acted very well, and used very good facial expressions. Her lover, Mario Cavaradossi was played by Thiago Arancam. He played his part well, by being very low-key. He didn’t use as many facial expressions, but that was part of his character. The next character was Scarpia who was played by Boris Statsenko. He was the callous ruler at the time. He acted very well, and used very smug facial expressions. Another character was Angelotti, played by Daniel Mobbs. He acted his part well, a little like a scared rodent, for he had escaped from jail and was harbored by Cavaradossi. He used good facial expressions. The caretaker of the church was Sacristan, played by Kevin Glavin. He played his part extremely well, and used, sometimes comical, facial expressions. Spoletta, Scarpia’s right hand man, was played by Christopher Tiesi. His acting wasn’t as good, but his facial expressions were pretty good. The last character is Sciarrone. Sciarrone was another servant of Scarpia and he was played by Brandon Cedel. His acting was good, but his facial expressions weren’t as great.
While the characters were singing, their voices seemed to carry through the whole opera house. With the singing, the acoustics were great, but the music did not carry as well. Probably, performers were at a better angle to carry their voices than the musicians in the pit. Still, with no microphones are any other form of projection, the acoustics were fantastic.
During the opera, a cameraman blocked my vision for the first act and most of the second. This made the opera very painful to watch because I had to keep straining my neck to see around the cameraman. Also, the seats are very cramped, so when I tried to get in an out during intermissions, I had to painfully squeeze past other people.
When the curtain pulled up for the first time, it was shocking. Such a detailed and large set was in front of me. When the characters started entering, it was amazing at how well the space was used. So many props and walls were placed on the set with room still for many actors and actresses. At first, all the action was up close. In the second scene, there is much more action and fewer props. The action was always changing the place it happened on the stage, so even if one’s vision was blocked, one would still see some action. In Act 1 most of the action took place in the front of the stage to the left or right. In Act 2, the action took place all over the stage. In Act 3, most of the action took place in the back. Based on this element, I would recommend this opera.
The last element that of theater is the subtitles. When the curtain was down before the show, I doubted that there were even going to be subtitles, since this was my first opera and I though subtitles were a luxury, but when the curtain came up, a huge screen displayed big bold words in short chunks. The words would stay on the screen as long as possible, before fading. If more than one character’s words were on the screen, then they would put lines were one character’s lines started and another one’s began. I have to admit that I’m pretty sure that they sometimes did not show all the words, but that didn’t matter, for those moments were few and far between.
Overall, the five elements of theater sometimes made the opera a little painful to watch. As the opera carried on, it was hard to keep being unhappy at certain problems, like the cameraman, or the missing subtitles. For a hesitant audience, I would highly recommend this opera.
The props in Tosca were made of a range of materials appropriate to the scene. In the church, many props were dusky, deep colors. A statue of the Mary Magdalene rested in the far left of the stage. Pews and an altar were in the center. The painter’s scaffolding was on the right. The placement of three large set pieces in each main area drew the eye across the stage. There was never too much focus on one area, which I enjoyed. In the second scene, the dark hardwood furniture show that Scarpia has a lot money at his disposal. I think that there should have been more dimensional set pieces, as there was only a desk and a table for food. From the picture of the design, I could see large rugs covering the floor of the stage. But from the seats on the floor, I could not see many stage pieces. The set designer should have looked at the setting from all angles. The third scene had eerie angles and grey coloring on its set. There was a low stone wall to disguise the mattress Tosca would jump onto. I thought that the props were created well for the suspense of the final act. The layering of props like the stone pillar and battlement added depth to the scene. Tosca’s props created a developed world, which is a hard feat to accomplish in opera.
Tosca’s dresses were in the empire waist style, which was popular in the 1800’s. The colors of her dress helped to depict the mood of the scene. For example, in the second scene, Tosca’s dress was a fiery red, displaying her anger at Scarpia. In the first scene, her dress was a light blue, and her gentleness in the scene represented that color. Scarpia’s clothes showed a dark color scheme, silver and black, appropriate for the villain. His clothes were an embroidered suit over a waistcoat. They were designed to look fine and expensive. In some scenes, he also had a large billowing cape, which made the villainous character seem large and scary. Cavaradossi’s clothes had light color scheme, and looked well worn. The strong boots he wore were a trademark of the working class at the time. The costumes in Tosca showed the current attitude and social position of the character expertly.
Overall, the costumes and set in Tosca were elaborate and well designed. I enjoyed seeing the opera with its props and costumes. However, I don’t fully appreciate the art of opera, regardless of the talent the actors and actresses posses.For a new generation of opera viewers, sets should possess more contemporary props and styles. More abstract concepts in the design would help to accomplish this. The pieces could be less fixed and ridged. However, traditional opera, while not for some people, is a beautiful art. Tosca’s set used structural details and attention to detail to achieve the wonderful set and props I saw in the performance. I recommend the opera to people who enjoy an elaborate, traditional, opera.
In my opinion and I think the actors did a fantastic job. Their voices were strong and loud so everyone can understand them. I also think there face expressions were great. It really helped understand what was going on a lot better. I felt like I made eye contact with some actors during the play!
The audience was ok. There were people using their phone at some point but they were still ok. We all knew to keep quiet so the actors could focus and to not get distracted. I think my school was a excellent role model for good behavior at a opera.
The subtitles for me were good. The letters were big and easy to read and I think that is wonderful. But the only thing that I did not like about them was that they were so high up for the people in the front row, like my class. For me it was almost like look up at the ceiling and trying to match up the Greek words with the English words. There were also some parts when the actor would be singing and the subtitles would not show up so I did not know what the actor was saying.
The space on stage was big and creative. There was a lot of artwork and space for the actors to walk and run around on stage. In the first act there were three spaces. They used the left, center, and the back of the stage.
Jassen Morris spruance pa
I would recommend this to people because it was really good i think that people would want to see it. I want to thank everyone for letting us go.
Angela, Spruance school
Christian Manalac Spruance school
Harpinder Spruance School
Sarah Tse, 5th grade, Gilbert Spruance School
Destiny, Gilbert Spruance Elementary School
Shayon, Spruance School
Wilson, Spruance Elementary
Mikayla , 10 Gilbert Spruance Elem .
that I would of ever went to an opera. something I enjoyed was when they shot Cavaradossi with the guns it almost sounded real and looked real.another thing I liked was Cavardossis make up when he was being tortured
Elvy Decoo spruance school
Alina Spruance school
Mikiah, Spruance Elementary School
Leighann, Gilbert Spruance
Jonathan Abdale
110 Spurance school
Christianna Lam, Gilbert Spruance elementary
Jaylynd, Spruance school
Daijah, Spruance schooL
Ricardo, Spruance school
Casey, Spruance school
Nycarljah,10 Spruance school
Kayla, Spruance school
The costumes all made a big impact on showing the characters’ status. Tosca only wore bright colored dresses, sometimes with jewelry, to show she was a rich woman. Cavaradossi’s clothing was simple, marking him as a commoner. Scarpia, Sciarrone, and Spolleta all wore dark suits to show they were rich men with lots of power. The cane carried by Sciarrone also marked his power. The Sacristan’s clothing was dirty, ruffled, and plain, which shows him as a servant. Angelloti wore a dark cloak and simple clothes that looked like Cavaradossi’s, but were dirtier.
The actors’ make-up gave much greater effect on their faces. Tosca’s make-up gave her bigger eyes, and made her face stand out just as much as her clothes. Scarpia, Sciarrone, and Spolleta’s make-up made their hair slick, and their faces pale. Cavaradossi’s make-up mainly showed after he was tortured, making his face look bloody, and very realistic. The other actors did not wear any major make-up
The scenery looked very much like real places, especially with the added mist in Act 1 and the beam and dots of light in Act 3. The props in were mostly colored in dull colors of orange, brown, and grey, but Scarpia’s study also had bright paintings. The jail wall Cavaradossi banged on looked very realistic, except that there were no sides and it moved when Cavaradossi hit it. Apart from that, everything seemed very realistic.
The lighting was mostly dim, but the colored lights in the mist, the blue light shining into Scarpia’s study, and the beam of light shining on Cavaradossi when he was in jail made the opera much more exciting. However, the fire in Scarpia’s study did not flicker, and only shone red, and I did not even think it was a fire until Scarpia stood by it and stoked it. The black cloth with holes for stars and the beam of light in Act 3 made the night that Cavaradossi spent in jail seem very quite, like it, too, was saddened by his fate.
The part I really liked about the opera was the special effects, such as the gunshots, and the mist. The mist in Act 1 made the church courtyard seem dark and foreboding, as Angelloti escaped from his prison. The lights added into the mist also made me feel like the sun was just about to rise, and everyone was gathering in the courtyard to prepare a ritual. As for the gunshots, that part was very exciting. I had been warned about the gunshots before I arrived, but I assumed it would just be a sound, not a flare from the nozzle and smoke curling out from the top. I actually even thought something had exploded.
On April 27th, 2011, many schools came to the Academy of Music to see the final dress rehearsal of the opera Tosca, an Italian tragedy by Giacomo Puccini, about a performer and a painter who struggle to maintain their love due to many obstacles. The instrumental music, played by the pit orchestra, captured the music of the era very well. The signal that the opera was about to start was the orchestra’s instruments tuning, all playing the same note in turn until they were together.
The mood of the music changed many times throughout the opera. These changes were important because it helped the audience to feel the mood of the scene. The music of Act 1 had a generally calm, gentle, soothing feeling. Violins, flutes, harps, clarinets, and most of the higher instruments played at once to create pleasant, spring-like music. The music then became minor and almost angry in the second scene, when Tosca was mad and jealous. In Act II, the music changed from angry-sounding, and flowed in perfectly as a background accompaniment to Tosca and Scarpia’s conversation. When Tosca was upset at her unlucky fate, the music changed to sounding more dramatic. Horns sounded, representing the march of the condemned, which was for Mario Cavaradossi. Church bells sounded at the beginning of Act III. A slow cello part was played as Cavaradossi composed what he thought was his last request. The cellos reflected the sadness well with their low, sincere sound.
Rough or smooth, the orchestra always portrayed a fitting texture of music. The music in Act 1 was smooth, flowing, and peaceful for the most part. There were many slurs in the music that made the music glide pleasantly. Act II also had smooth, calm music at the beginning that became slightly less smooth and loud when Scarpia was torturing Cavaradossi. In Act III, the music was generally smooth, especially when Cavaradossi was sadly making his last request. The slow, sad, smooth music of the cellos in that scene was beautiful and made the audience feel Cavaradossi’s sadness.
The composition of the music was varied and changed throughout the acts. All of the Acts began with slow, gentle, music. The first two Acts started with major sounds made by high instruments such as flutes, clarinets, violins and violas, while the third Act began with sad music and church bells. Whether the music was major or minor, high or low, it was always matched the mood of the scene beautifully.
Tosca was a wonderful opera, and should definitely be recommended to as many people as possible. Tosca had graceful music that always portrayed the mood of the scene beautifully. The orchestra music never clashed with that of the singing voices; each could be heard crystal clear. It was good how, before each Act, the conductor took five minutes to make sure that the orchestra sounded as its best. At times in the opera, the music could be quite loud, but the loudest thing of all was the ringing, thunderous applause at the end.
You could really believe that you were there in the play Tosca, the set design and layout surpassed all my expectations on whether it was “cheese”. I knew right from the start of the first act that the play was not “cheese”, but was better detailed than any movie I have ever seen. Not only was the detail amazing, but the layout also was well thought out; they could get up to 40 minutes of playtime without changing the set.
Though the set design was great it could not get my undivided attention due to the even more so costumes. The costumes were used a lot to speak when a character was un-able to, for example in the second act, Mario Cavaradossi was left unconscious after his torture but his cloths and make-up could show you what kind of torture he was put through. Also you could tell usually how much money a person had, if he/she was rich they would had a very elegant and colorful costume while the poorer characters would have lesser costumes with darker colors.
With costumes came props, some of great impertinence some of no use and others of symbolic meaning. In Tosca the props were very common in the first and second act, the third act only had two props. There was a good amount of props in the first act; most of them provided comedy like the basket of wine and bread. Later in the second act the props were mostly used for hitting, stabbing, and throwing, the knife Tosca used was by far a very important prop. Though in the third act actors only had two props the guns and the pencil, when they shot Mario Cavaradossi with the fake guns the props let off some fake explosions that sounded almost identical to a real gun fire.
Props, everyone agrees were mostly used for violence and death, but some like the cross, eagle, or candle, had special meanings for the act they were used in. When Tosca put Scarpia to death, she placed a cross on his chest then, as she was about to leave, she looked back and took it off to replace it with an eagle. She did this as to mock him and to show all that look at him that he valued government and power over religion and faith.
The set elevations were of no real importance until the end when Tosca jumped off the crane. In the first act Mario Cavaradossi painted his picture on an elevated platform, which I found to have no relevance to the plot and was not truly needed. Later in the third act Tosca jumps off a crane to her doom, though in the play the crane was important I didn’t think she needed to do that, in the script she jumps off a building with no mention of a crane, in the play Tosca I felt that though it was a good touch it wasn’t really necessary.
The Philadelphia Opera’s final dress rehearsal of Giacomo Puccini’s Tosca (which was open to the public for their Sounds of Learning educational program) was a wonderful experience. Viewed by the visual arts, it was amazing. The visual arts I analyzed Tosca by are set design, symbolism, set elevations, props, and costumes. Just from that point of view, I would highly recommend this performance to viewers of all ages.
The sets were spectacular. For example, in the first act, in the Sant'Andrea della Valle chapel, the spotlights and mist were placed in such a way as to form a long, dark space instead of the back wall of the stage. On the left side, there was a statue of the Mary Magdalene, with a velvet bench beneath it. In the center of the stage, the pews were facing away from the audience, towards the altar. To the right side, a painter’s scaffolding led up to the painting on the high church wall. During the second act, set in the villain’s villa, the windows and doors were placed in such a way so that the spotlights behind them formed a light similar to the moon. The walls of the Baroque villa were partially unfinished, meant to show that Scarpia is painting over Francesco Salvati’s mural. Also, Scarpia has bricked over a large archway to form a smaller window, contrasting the open style of the room. During the third act, that took place on the ramparts of Castel Sant’Angelo, the set changed from Cavaradossi’s dungeon cell to a crumbling parapet behind newly built gallows. Unfortunately, the jail cell’s single wall was very weak, and swayed (almost collapsing) when Cavaradossi threw himself against it. Also, behind the gallows there was a backdrop of twinkling stars. It was a great addition to the set, except for the fact that it only covered ¾ of the stage, meaning the other quarter was dark. Throughout the entire show the sets were designed and painted with subdued colors.
Symbolism is critical in Opera, and it was used especially well in The Philadelphia Opera’s performance of Tosca. There were subtle and major references towards government and religion. While viewing this opera, I did not notice any symbolism in the first act. In the second act, after Scarpia is dead, Tosca considers placing the cross on his desk by his feet, but instead places an eagle, the symbol of government. I thought that by doing this Tosca was saying that he was not good enough for the cross and religion, and that he manipulated the government while he lived. I learned later that the statuette of the eagle was meant to symbolize Scarpia’s power. It also contrasts with the open Baroque style of the room (mentioned in the paragraph above). In front of the parapet (but behind the gallows and scaffolding) there is a monument, for Scarpia, which is being erected. It was made to loom above the characters, almost foreboding the tragedy ahead. Upon reading Tosca’s Set Designer’s notes, I learned that the metal contraption mixed in with other objects onstage was a steam-powered crane, symbolizing hope and the future. Unfortunately, I did not realize this during the Opera. Overall, some of the symbolism in Tosca is invisible to the untrained eye, but the symbols the audience catches will be important.
Set elevations were spattered throughout this opera. In the first act, the painter’s scaffolding not only led the viewer’s eye up to the painting atop it, a main prop in that act, but also showed the difference between Cavaradossi and the Sacristan. The sacristan was below the scaffolding, cleaning Cavaradossi’s brushes, while Cavaradossi yelled down orders. This shows that Cavaradossi is more important (socially) than the Sacristan. In the second act there were no elevations, yet Scarpia’s villa, modeled after Palazzo Farnese, was designed to make the audience feel weak, small, and meek, with its tall columns and intimidating colors. The third act had tall scaffolding (also the one used for Cavardossi’s workspace in the first act) holding up the gallows, as well as castle walls surrounding it. In front of the walls was a parapet. This was the tallest thing on the set, and therefore the most important. Tosca used it, after Cavaradossi was killed, to escape the soldiers chasing her. After she realizes she cannot run anymore, she jumps over the side to her death. The set elevations used in this opera not only indicate the focal points of the stage, they also provide main structures that are very important in Tosca’s plot.
The props, both two and 3 three dimensional, were magnificent. My only complaint is that the audience could tell some of the props in the first act were painted wood, instead of metal, stone, and the other materials that they were supposed to resemble. Besides that, though, all of the props fit the time period and the setting. In the second act, Scarpia’s desk and table as well as the objects on them were well painted and served their parts very well. Some items, such as a statuette of an eagle and a golden cross, were symbolic, representing the government, Scarpia’s power, and Religion. Other props throughout this way were representing similar ideas. In the first act, the Sacristan prepared a basket of food that was realistic as well as the fact that an artist’s palette and brushes were used to show that Cavaradossi was an artist and painter. In the third act, I was surprised how realistic the firing squad’s bayoneted rifles were, and shocked by the special effects of the shooting. All of the props in this performance were very well done,
Set elevations were spattered throughout this opera. In the first act, the painter’s scaffolding not only led the viewer’s eye up to the painting atop it, a main prop in that act, but also showed the difference between Cavaradossi and the Sacristan. The sacristan was below the scaffolding, cleaning Cavaradossi’s brushes, while Cavaradossi yelled down orders. This shows that Cavaradossi is more important (socially) than the Sacristan. In the second act there were no elevations, yet Scarpia’s villa, modeled after Palazzo Farnese, was designed to make the audience feel weak, small, and meek, with its tall columns and intimidating colors. The third act had tall scaffolding (also the one used for Cavardossi’s workspace in the first act) holding up the gallows, as well as castle walls surrounding it. In front of the walls was a parapet. This was the tallest thing on the set, and therefore the most important. Tosca used it, after Cavaradossi was killed, to escape the soldiers chasing her. After she realizes she cannot run anymore, she jumps over the side to her death. The set elevations used in this opera not only indicate the focal points of the stage, they also provide main structures that are very important in Tosca’s plot.
The props, both two and 3 three dimensional, were magnificent. My only complaint is that the audience could tell some of the props in the first act were painted wood, instead of metal, stone, and the other materials that they were supposed to resemble. Besides that, though, all of the props fit the time period and the setting. In the second act, Scarpia’s desk and table as well as the objects on them were well painted and served their parts very well. Some items, such as a statuette of an eagle and a golden cross, were symbolic, representing the government, Scarpia’s power, and Religion. Other props throughout this way were representing similar ideas. In the first act, the Sacristan prepared a basket of food that was realistic as well as the fact that an artist’s palette and brushes were used to show that Cavaradossi was an artist and painter. In the third act, I was surprised how realistic the firing squad’s bayoneted rifles were, and shocked by the special effects of the shooting. All of the props in this performance were very well done.
Set elevations were spattered throughout this opera. In the first act, the painter’s scaffolding not only led the viewer’s eye up to the painting atop it, a main prop in that act, but also showed the difference between Cavaradossi and the Sacristan. The sacristan was below the scaffolding, cleaning Cavaradossi’s brushes, while Cavaradossi yelled down orders. This shows that Cavaradossi is more important (socially) than the Sacristan. In the second act there were no elevations, yet Scarpia’s villa, modeled after Palazzo Farnese, was designed to make the audience feel weak, small, and meek, with its tall columns and intimidating colors. The third act had tall scaffolding (also the one used for Cavardossi’s workspace in the first act) holding up the gallows, as well as castle walls surrounding it. In front of the walls was a parapet. This was the tallest thing on the set, and therefore the most important. Tosca used it, after Cavaradossi was killed, to escape the soldiers chasing her. After she realizes she cannot run anymore, she jumps over the side to her death. The set elevations used in this opera not only indicate the focal points of the stage, they also provide main structures that are very important in Tosca’s plot.
The props, both two and 3 three dimensional, were magnificent. My only complaint is that the audience could tell some of the props in the first act were painted wood, instead of metal, stone, and the other materials that they were supposed to resemble. Besides that, though, all of the props fit the time period and the setting. In the second act, Scarpia’s desk and table as well as the objects on them were well painted and served their parts very well. Some items, such as a statuette of an eagle and a golden cross, were symbolic, representing the government, Scarpia’s power, and Religion. Other props throughout this way were representing similar ideas. In the first act, the Sacristan prepared a basket of food that was realistic as well as the fact that an artist’s palette and brushes were used to show that Cavaradossi was an artist and painter. In the third act, I was surprised how realistic the firing squad’s bayoneted rifles were, and shocked by the special effects of the shooting. All of the props in this performance were very well done, realistic, and purposeful.
All of the characters costumes fit the characters and the mood of the play. I think that they were very well done. The costume in this Opera instantly told the audience the role and rank of the character, and also the feeling of the scene. For example, Tosca’s gown in the second act was a deep red and had an empire waist. Empire silhouette gowns (like Tosca’s) were very popular in the Napoleonic era, which Tosca is set in. I thought that the strong, dark red of the dress showed Tosca’s anger towards Scarpia. Cavaradossi’s clothes were expensive, but well worn, which made him look hard working. In the first act, he put a paint-splattered smock, which I think was designed well to look old. By the second act, Cavaradossi’s clothes were spattered with blood. I think that the blood should have focused onto a few spots (his injuries) instead of just everywhere. The Scarpia’s officers and bodyguards were outfitted in dark jackets and pantaloons. I personally feel that the officers’ clothes should have also been splattered with blood, after carrying Cavaradossi into the main room. There was a scene with villagers during a religious procession in the first act. The pope was dressed officially. The boys who were being taught (I did not really understand why they where there) wore red robes over white ones. All of the villagers were wearing historically correct outfits, the women in long dresses with bonnets and shawls, and the men wearing waistcoats with pantaloons. The audience viewing the Opera Tosca will be impressed by how much work was put into the costumes.
I would strongly recommend The Philadelphia Opera’s performance of Giacomo Puccini’s Tosca, as viewed by the visual arts. It is an extraordinary experience, whether seen by a returning opera fan or a first-time viewer, like I was. The costumes, set design, set elevations, props, and symbolism in this opera were used well and done well. As I said before, I recommend it to viewers of all ages. The Sounds of Learning program is a great idea and allows children and teenagers experience this amazing form of art.
The setting in Act I was very creative. I think it was creative because on stage, when the artist Cavaradossi went to paint, he had to go up stairs and that made him seem more important, almost as if he was the main character of the play. In Act II, I think it was creative when Scarpia’s apartment was tilted to the crowd, so that the audience could see what was going on at all times. In Act III, I think that the setting in the jail cell and the platform of Castel Sant’ Angelo was chosen wisely. I think this way because when Tosca had to jump off of the set, she had the battlement to climb on to jump over the wall.
The characters in the plot line were interesting to see played out in person. I think the characters were played exactly as they described them in the story. In the story, Tosca was played as a young woman with pride and jealousy. Adina Nitescu made that role come alive!!! When Scarpia, played by Boris Statsenko, threatened Cavaradossi, played by Thiago Arancam, and his life, Tosca acted bravely, and murdered Scarpia.
Plot:
The plot line was fantastic to read and experience. In the beginning, Cavaradossi met up with Angelotti in a chapel, and hid him in his well. Then the evil Scarpia came to the chapel in search for him. After Scarpia sent his guards to look for Angelott,Tosca was wondering what had happened. Cavaradossi was then taken away for harboring a “criminal”. Tosca went so Scarpia’s apartment, to try to stop everything. She then witnessed Cavaradossi getting abused. Scarpia told her that the only way that Cavaradossi was going to be freed, was if she kidded him. Tosca then picked up the knife on the table, and killed Scarpia. In the end, Tosca commits suicide, because the guards killed Cavaradossi.
The opera had a conflict in every scene. In act I, the conflict was entreging to read about, because Angelotti had just escaped from a prison, and Cavaradossi hid him in a well. Then the conflict of the scene occurs. Scarpia finds Cavaradossi, and took him away to be tortured after he refused to tell Scarpia where Angelotti was. In act II, the conflict was somewhat crazy. It was crazy because when Scarpia was just about to get his way, because he told Tosca that the only way to save Cavaradossi was to kiss him, Tosca stabbed him with a dagger that was sitting in a table. In act III, the conflict was intense, because this was the scene when Cavaradossi was shot, and killed. this was also the scene when Tosca committed suicide.
In my opinion, the theme of Tosca was a dramatic representation of Good V.S. Evil. I think that way because Tosca and Scarpia fight through out the opera. In act II, Tosca killed Scarpia. Then Scaripa’s army got their revenge by killing Tosca’s love, Cavaradossi.
The costumes in Tosca are perfectly fitted to the Character’s personality and even more so with the three different sets. In Act 1 Tosca is wearing a beautiful sky blue dress and it is interesting to see what they are costumed in each act. Cavaradossi is dressed in a handsome brown vest with matching knickers and black boots. This contrasts greatly with his other costume in Acts 2 and 3, where he is wearing a bloody shirt after having been tortured for information on the whereabouts of the rebel leader Angelotti. Tosca, on the other hand is wearing a flowing gown of red material and black lace. The evil Scarpia is dressed in an exquisite vest of black with ruffles, matching knickers, and buckled shoes. As for the other costumes, they are all very detailed and fit right in with this opera.
The sets, designed by Boyd Ostroff make the stage seem to pull the audience in. In Act 1 the simple but elegant set of a church creates the illusion of a vast hall made of ancient stone that has weathered over the years. Act 2 takes place in the Baron Scarpia’s room as Cavaradossi and Tosca are questioned. The room, made up of “stone” has a table for two and a desk. This creates the image of a wealthy person living there. The set for Act 3 was an amazing design with part of a prison wall in the center of the stage with a huge cannon behind it when needed the piece of wall in front is lifted to create the area for shooting Cavaradossi. These amazing sets were perfect for the Tosca production and the set designer did an amazing job for making the world of Tosca come alive.
In the production Tosca almost every symbol has a meaning. The cane Scarpia holds shows that he has power and authority over everyone and can do as he pleases. In Act 1 when the church is filled people come out and are holding two flags which symbolize the government. When Scarpia is murdered, Tosca is about to put the cross at his feet but then changes her mind and instead puts the eagle, a symbol of the government as one last insult to him.
The amount of props needed in Tosca is amazing. There are, in Act 1 the props like Cavaradossi’s painter’s pallet, Scarpia’s cane, flowers, the flags, the basket of food, and much more. All of these help to enhance the play and make it more real. Act 2 has a bottle of acid, a cross, knife, plates, papers, an eagle sign and even more. These props are used to make the play more realistic and fun.
Overall the visual effects were amazing and this was an opera worth seeing.
Michael T.
8th grade
A.M.Y. at James Martin
Tosca tells the story of lovers, Mario Cavaradossi and Floria Tosca, and the issues that they battle individually and as a couple. By herself, Tosca has to deal with Scarpia having an obsession with her. Cavaradossi has to deal with being a rebel and protecting himself and other rebels from the dictator, Scarpia. Together, Cavaradossi and Tosca help each other during big conflicts and dangers, such as being captured and threatened by the dictator. The first act has less action and is more an introduction, but the second and third act contained much suspense and action, which are both mainly due to disagreements between characters.
Given that Scarpia is a dictator, he doesn’t like the rebels, Angelotti and Cavaradossi, which is the source of the main conflict. Arguments and styles of dealing with one another for the rebels and dictator add to the action. There are smaller conflicts, too. Sacristan doesn’t like Cavaradossi, which creates some tension given that they work in the same church. Because of the fact that Scarpia has a crush on Tosca, he doesn’t like the fact that she is in love with Cavaradossi. It can be interesting, horrifying, and suspenseful, each at different points, to watch his jealousy unfold throughout the opera.
The main theme of Tosca is to persevere when you face difficulties, as Tosca, Cavaradossi, and Angelotti did. Also, a message is to trust what you feel is right in a very difficult situation where a decision must be made. The theme of Tosca was carried across in an excellent way through the literature, setting, and the amazing actors and singing that greatly moved the audience.
An amazing piece, Tosca is truly and opera that I recommend to all. The elements of Theater, Musical, Vocal, Instrumental, Movement, and Literature are all carried across brilliantly. There are countless suspenseful and action filled parts of this opera. Even people who enjoy theater will be surprised at how much they enjoy this performance. It is an amazing experience that is not to be missed!
12
Philadelphia High School for Girls
Its not everyday that a student like myself is able to attend an opera.The opera Tosca was an experience that I will never forget. The quality of sound was absolutely beautiful. Even when Cavarodossi was being tortured he still sounded wonderful! The background which made up the scenes of the opera were well designed. I felt as though I were apart of the opera, merely an on-looker to all the action around me. The customs were gorgeous! Every custom change was fitting to the scene and believable. Tosca, herself, was wonderful. As an actress, she played into the drama well. As a singer, her voice never faltered. All in all, I enjoyed the Opera Tosca.
On April 27, 2011, I attended the opera “Tosca” by Giacomo Puccini at the Academy of Music. Tosca was one of the best operas I’ve ever seen! This was my second opera. The scenery on stage was fantastic and marvelous. I loved the church scene. I felt like I was in church. The props were also designed and placed well; the knife was my favorite prop. Just think if the stage manager forgot to place the knife on the dinner table; he/she would have ruined the opera! When I came into The Academy of Music, I felt like I was VIP in a grand opera! The seats were velvet; it felt like a dream opera!
Also, the conductor led the orchestra very well; it was so dramatic than usual. When the stunt-double Tosca jumped off the tower, the orchestra made the experience very frightening. The characters, oh yes, acted and dressed exactly what their suppose to. I completely understood what the play was about. Scarpia was my favorite character because he made each scene very intense-I was practically out of my seat. I wonder what other opera the Philadelphia Academy of Music have in store. If I were to invite someone to see an opera, I would choose “Tosca”!
Steven H.
6th grade @ AMY School at James Martin School
On April 27, 2011, I attended the opera “Tosca” by Giacomo Puccini at the Academy of Music. Tosca was one of the best operas I’ve ever seen! This was my second opera. The scenery on stage was fantastic and marvelous. I loved the church scene. I felt like I was in church. The props were also designed and placed well; the knife was my favorite prop. Just think if the stage manager forgot to place the knife on the dinner table; he/she would have ruined the opera! When I came into The Academy of Music, I felt like I was VIP in a grand opera! The seats were velvet; it felt like a dream opera!
Also, the conductor led the orchestra very well; it was so dramatic than usual. When the stunt-double Tosca jumped off the tower, the orchestra made the experience very frightening. The characters, oh yes, acted and dressed exactly what their suppose to. I completely understood what the play was about. Scarpia was my favorite character because he made each scene very intense-I was practically out of my seat. I wonder what other opera the Philadelphia Academy of Music have in store. If I were to invite someone to see an opera, I would choose “Tosca”!
Steven H.
6th grade @ AMY School at James Martin School
Chelsea M.
Grade 6 AMY at James Martin School
Evealece
7th Grade A.M.Y. at James Martin School