Skip to main content

R&J Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Gounod's Romeo and Juliet on Wednesday, February 9, 2011 at the Academy of Music.

Inspired by Shakespeare's play, this R&J was updated to the present day world of fashion! The Capulets and Montagues are now warring fashion houses looking to squash each other for market share and brand supremacy.

Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most impressive singing voice?

Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion!

Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more!

JOIN OUR OPERA EMAIL LIST!
Email education@operaphila.org and we'll deliver free opera right into your inbox once a week. Each week there will be a youtube "Clip of the Week" and a great opera-related website to check out. If you like opera, this is the place to be!





Comments

Katie Clinebell said…
My classmates and I saw the final dress rehearsal of Romeo and Juliet. I was floored by the performance and it has easily become my favorite opera. The acting was phenomenal! It gave me chills when Romeo was banished and he sang how he needed to see Juliet once more before he left. Romeo and Juliet's chemistry was moving and powerful. You could feel their agonizing pain when they were forced to say goodbye and the love they felt when they were together. It added a form of sincerity to their performances when we discovered they were husband and wife in real life. The passion the filled the singer's voices was incredibely touching and powerful. I also greatly enjoyed the actor who played Juliet's father. His voice was wonderful and his acting was great.
I really appreciated the subtitles over the stage. I was prepared to see an opera where I had no idea what they were saying. But I was pleasanty surprised by the words overhead of the actors. The lyrics were incredibely profound and added so much meaning behind the breathtakingly passionate voices. I found my self chuckling, sighing, and crying. The orchestra was spot on and the score was beautiful.
The costumes were beautiful and creative. They added pizzaz to the set. I wish I owned many of the dresses.
I loved the stair case piece. Even though it was the only major set price it never got tiring and added alot of beauty to the stage.
Romeo and Juliet was an amazing production and I am so thankful that I got to see it.
Serenity B. said…
Serenity, Age 8, Homeschool, 3rd Grade: Reaction to R&J-

I think the opera was ok. The singing was very pretty, but since the words were in French, it was hard to watch the actors as well as read the words at the top of the stage. The large staircase in the middle of the stage as seemed to be in the way a lot. All of the clothing and costumed looked great!I loved the actresses that you chose. It felt that some of the actors were simply there, saying their lines; although some of the actors acted like the show was real, and they were out the living their lines. I didn't like the story line, because it felt out of order and i had trouble making sense of it. In the beginning, there was a fashion party at the home of Capulet that didn't match the story. The story did feel very realistic when the actors came out into the audience, handing out newspapers, I loved it.
Mars W. said…
I really enjoy operas, and I have yet to view one which disappoints me. I certainly enjoyed R&J very much. My favorite part? The scenery, for sure. I was quite intrigued at the utilization of the staircase throughout the duration of the opera. The lighting was phenomenal, but a bit off at times. (e.x. in the act where Juliet drinks the potion, the spotlight was supposed to be on the drink, but was more aimed at one of the descending steps on the lowest tier.) On a lighter note, the singers were utterly amazing. Hearing the words actually spoken added more emotion to them. In addition, the ball scene seemed realistic. Also, I wasn't quite sure if it was due to the position of my seating, or some other factor, but the black board hanging from two clear strands marked with, "Capulet," in white, seemed to pop out a tad too much compared to the background. I suggest maybe exposing the background of the stage to less light. (This, I believe would improve this already spectacular performance by a huge leap, making scenery and characters alike show better from the backdrop.)I thought some of the fashions were a bit... unrealistic, although they do have to be a bit exaggerated for the stage anyway. I'm not quite sure if this was the intention, or not. A very, very good performance overall. I could feel the emotions of the characters, the joyfulness of Romeo and Juliet's wedding, to the tension in the air during Mercutio and Tybalt's duel. I would definitely come to see it a second time, or even a third. This is my fourth opear I've seen, and this was definitely my favorite.
The Romeo and Juliet final dress rehearsal at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia was fantastic because of its modern twist on a classic love story by William H. Shakespear. I didn't care much for the costumes on the models but the staging was excellent. The use of one staircase in the entire act was definately impressive. I really enjoyed Romeo's friend Mercutio because he made me laugh a few times before he was killed. I overall really enjoyed myself watching this opera.

Donica-Marsel Wilson
14
Sharon Hill School, Pa.
Anonymous said…
The Romeo and Juliet final dress rehearsal at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia was fantastic because of its modern twist on a classic love story by William H. Shakespear. I didn't care much for the costumes on the models but the staging was excellent. The use of one staircase in the entire act was definately impressive. I really enjoyed Romeo's friend Mercutio because he made me laugh a few times before he was killed.
Anonymous said…
Victor Ariyo, grade 8, Sharon Hill School
My school and I went to see the final dress rehersal of Romeo and Juliet. The acting and the music were awesome! I liked the romance, acting, and liveliness, but the fashion I did not like as much. I liked the props and the hard work the singers did to make their voices stand out. I was sitting in the back & I felt the person singing was only a few feet away! The composer of the music did the very best job because everything was lively and the music was in order and on time with the plot.
Gailen Davis; Studio for Strings; Age 16; 11th rade said…
Overall, I really enjoyed the performance. The singing was very enjoyable. I also liked that there were differences between this more modern and posh version when compared to the original. However, I don't think the difference were portrayed as well as the could have been. My favorite character was Juliet because I believe she stole the spotlight the most (in a good way). I really liked the dresses in the fashion show. Some were very over the top which resembles couture fashion. I loved the set. I thought it was very clever to use the staircase for so many scenes. Little details such as the way the light hit the cloth (the bed) was absolutely beautiful. Overall, I think it could have been condensed, but it was still worthwhile and enjoyable
studio for strings said…
R&J was the first opera I have ever went to. It was a fantastic opera. I especially liked the part when Romeo was outside Juliet's balcony. One part I thought was kind of weird or a mistake was when juliet was about to take the potion and there was suppose to be a spotlight one the potion but the spotlight was on the bottom stairs. I think that it was very clever to use the staircase in all of the scenes. I do not understand why there was a male manican's upper half on the staircase when Juliet was about to be married to count Parise. The one part I did not like was when Romeo drank the potion. He took way to long to "die" if he had drank a posion that powerful. Apart form that it was a wonderful and touching opera. I am looking foward to going to next years opera, Carmen.
Anonymous said…
I loved the opportunity to be able to see the final dress rehearsal of romeo and Juliet, performed by the Philadelphia Opera Company. I feel I would have enjoyed it more if it was purely the original version of Romeo and Juliet instead of this modern twist. The singers were incredible and I enjoyed every minute of the performance, thank you so much.

Haverford Middle School student
Anonymous said…
My Opera Experience

I couldn’t have been more excited when I heard that our school had the opportunity to see the opera Romeo and Juliet at the Academy of Music. The trip certainly lived up to its expectations. Eating delicious lunch at the Caribou Cafe was icing on the cake. I had a great time!

Haverford Middle School student
Anonymous said…
I thought it was really good. The beginning was a bit confusing, but I liked everything else. I really liked the costumes. My favorite part was how it took place in current day. That made it a lot more interesting. If I had to change one thing, I would have stuck to the story a bit better. Romeo would have been dead when Juliet woke up and the dying scene would have been much shorter. You really seemed t drag it out. Besides that, I really liked it and hope to see another one soon!

Lauren-Studio for Strings
Heather Sciubba haverford middle school grade 8 said…
Overall I liked seeing the performance of Romeo and juliet. This is because it wasn't like the main story of it. I liked how it was sung in French and the people who played the main parts were already married. I also liked how a girl played stefano because it looked awesome and more modern day looking. the thing I did not like about it was that the parents of Romeo and juliet did not find out about their relationship. I also liked the fashion shows that were done by those girls in the beginning of the performance. All in all, this is what I thought of the performance of the opera version of Romeo and Juliet.
Anonymous said…
we saw the final dress rehearsal of Romeo and Juliet. I thought that it was a great performance but since it was in french it was hard to watch both the subtitles and the performers at the same time. I also thought that the staircase got in the way of the actors and actresses sometimes. we did notice also that in the garden scene a bush was facing the wrong way which was funny but you should probably fix that :-) overall a great job! bravo!
Student at the Studio for Strings, Grade 9 said…
I greatly enjoyed seeing Romeo and Juliet performed by the Philadelphia Opera Company. Not only did it give a new twist on an old story, which I happened to have just finished reading in school, but the theatrical aspects were absolutely amazing. All of the actors and actresses did a superb job with their vocals, especially since it was all sung in French!(This choice of language was excellent for many of my fellow classmates study French in school and had a wonderful time measuring just how much of their lessons they could remember!) I particularly enjoyed Juliet's performance of 'Je Veux Vivre', a very lovely song for a very lovely and talented vocalist.The sets also had amazing detail, from the versatile staircase to the interesting background and foreground props. The costumes, namely the dresses, were breathtaking, astonishingly 'different' and yet beautiful, a huge round of applause to the college art students who made them!
My only critiques are these: (1)the last scene of the original play was cut off, and (2) the translation screen was 'difficult'. As for (1), I felt that the original play's final scene was a rather necessary resolve to the play, a way of knowing what happened to everyone else afterward, rather than simply that Romeo and Juliet die (my apologies to all who did not previously know this). And for (2), I had some trouble following the translations up on the screen and the actions down below. At times, I would have to chose between watching the dancing or reading the translation. (I must admit that this was probably not too much of a problem for anyone not in the back row.) Still, it was a beautiful performance, my third opera, and I am pleased to say that I will most definitely return to see another great show!
Breyana Hunter(FKD) said…
This was my first opera and even though it was something out of the ordinary for i enjoyed myself. Romeo and Juliet was modernized to appeal to a younger crowd and they caught my attention. The wardrobe, the Actors, the props was flooring. I applaud the genius who came up with this concept. The two main actors were phenomenal!!!. it wasn"t acting between those two it seemed so surreal. When i discovered that they was husband and wife in real life i thought to myself " no wonder the acting was so good". I have great respect for every last actor you guys really changed my mind when it comes to operas... I think i"m going to see some more often:)
Shanita said…
Im Shanita Jackson from Frankford High school and when we went to see the opera. To me it was very boring and i was ready to leave. The words that played on the screen was not what they were saying. It sounded very stupid and they sung the whole time it should have been only on certain parts.I would not go to another one. One thing I did like were the living statues that was very neat.
Eric Medina said…
I attended the final dress rehearsal with a select few students from my school. The performance was outstanding! The actors were remarkable, their vocals leaving me in awe. I didn't mind sitting in my chair for a few hours because their performance left me craving more. It was beautiful. I admire the fact that the director chose to portray idealism vs. materialism. It was truly breathtaking. The actor's passion was evident and that's what really brought the play to life. The romantic chemistry between Romeo & Juliet was beautiful and the reveal that they were actually married in real life made me love the Opera even more. Although I knew the ending, I still found on the edge of my seat. The costumes were magnificent, they only added to the beauty & creativity of the production.
My favorite part of the "Romeo & Juliet" opera would have to be when the infamous "It is the east, and Juliet is the sun" where Romeo is standing beneath Juliet's balcony. The set was spectacular: the dimly lit stage, illuminated only by a few lights and the staircase that appeared in every scene.
Though I do not understand a word of French, I adored the fact that the whole opera was produced in French. Such a romantic language!
Romeo & Juliet had me dying to see it once more. This was definitely a rare opportunity and I am glad that I was able to witness something so profound & well put together.
Anonymous said…
My fellow students and I recently saw the last dress rehearsal of the opera Romeo and Juliet. I really enjoyed it. They had the most beautiful clothing although I think Romeo and Juliet could have had more colorful outfits, to stand out. Their singing was sooo fantastic!!! The music was breath-taking and the feeling was too. The over all performance made you on the edge of your seat wanting more. I noticed the use of the staircase and thought it was very clever how they incorporated it. The ending was very nice. This was my first opera and I hope it is not my last.
Christopher from St. Mary said…
I liked and disliked Romeo and Juliet. The reason I liked it was that the singing was very nice. What I disliked about it was it was much too long and all the scenes looked the same.
Haely, St. Mary Interparochial said…
Romeo and Juliet was hard to understand because it was hard to watch the stage and read the subtitles at the same time. I think it should have been sung in English since it was shown in front of people who mostly speak in English.
Brianne, St. Mary Interparochial said…
Although I thought the opera, Romeo and Juliet, was too long, I liked the fashion. The dresses that were worn at the party were beautiful.
Matthew, St. Mary Interparochial said…
One of the things I liked about the opera Romeo and Juliet was the people in the back that moved very slowly. I think the ending was a bit drawn out. It was funny how the priest was wearing Timberlands. I did think that Romeo and Juliet had good chemistry!
Anonymous 7th Grade Student, St. Mary Interparochial said…
I thought that Romeo and Juliet was an amazing story, albeit a bit lengthy. I enjoyed the scenery and fashion show in the beginning. I found the fight scene interesting.
Aliya, St. Mary Interparochial said…
I thought Romeo and Juliet was pretty good. The singers who played Romeo and Juliet were really good singers and were pretty convincing. I also like the design of the costumes. It showed how much work was put into the show. I liked how they modernized the plot because it was easier to follow and understand. When they danced, some people tried to make us laugh.
Grace, St. Mary Interparochial School said…
I really enjoyed this year's opera, Romeo and Juliet. I thought that the modern twist on it was a really great idea! I thought that the costumes were amazing and very high fashion. During the performance, I was really able to follow the story and was able to read the subtitles easily. On the other hand, I thought the performance was a little long. Overall, I really enjoyed the performance and can't wait to see what you come up with next year!
Natalie, St. Mary Interparochial said…
I enjoyed the opera Romeo and Juliet for the most part. I liked it because of the elaborate costumes, the interesting twist of the story, and the passionate performers. The costumes fit the part of the two different fashion houses perfectly and I found it fun to pick out who was from which house. The only part that bugged me and most of my classmates was the too long and dramatic ending. I had a great time and fun experience at the opera.
Laurel, St. Mary Interparochial said…
I really enjoyed the opera Romeo and Juliet. I liked how it was based in modern times and easier to understand. I also liked the fashions. Most people said it was too long, but I thought it was so good, it went by quick.
Crosby, St. Mary Interparochial said…
The chemistry between the actors who played Romeo and Juliet was real. I thought it helped since they were married in real life. In some parts I thought the singing was very long. It's like they had to sing about everything in each part.
Marissa, St. Mary Interparochial said…
In Romeo and Juliet, I didn't understand why the priest had a cigarette but never smoked it or why he had a cigarette at all! I liked how it showed there can be love at first sight.
Charlene, St. Mary Interparochial said…
I liked Romeo and Juliet very much. It was the first time I ever saw Romeo and Juliet, or an opera. I imagined the story to be different but still liked it a lot. I absolutely loved the outfits. What I also thought was really cool was that they could turn one thing into different settings. I could not believe that Romeo and Juliet had enough energy to sing their last song. What I liked the most was that love overcomes everything and even though they die in the end, they still got to be together.
Nya, St. Mary Interparochial said…
I really loved the show a lot. I could follow along with the singing, the stage play itself, and the music. I felt as though I was up on stage playing as Juliet.
joe #19 BCMS Lower Merion said…
Act 1 for Tosca

My impression was that the opera (Tosca) will be romantic but will also produce some action later in the story. I am not sure what the The consul of the ROman Republic is but I think that it was a government that was overthrown or and anarchist group.
Journey, #3, BCMS, Lower Merion said…
Prompt: Why doesn’t Cavaradossi tell Tosca about Angelotti? What are the consequences of not trusting Tosca?

I think that Cavaradossi didn't tell Tosca about Angelotti because he didn't trust her to keep a secret if she is jealous or being questioned, and I beleive that this causes her to act against his will.
Isaiah 12 BCMS Lower Merion said…
Isaiah 12 BCMS Lower Merion
Tosca act 1
I think that the first act of Tosca was very good because it introduced the main characters and clearly identified the main plot of the story. I love the idea and can't wait to read the second act to find how the story unfolds. It's interesting to read and hear the different style of ancient greek tragedies (such as Tosca) and the more modern styles of writing.
Max AWW#33 BCMS Lower Merion said…
What would you have done in Cavaradossi’s shoes? Why?

I would have done the same thing that Cavaradossi did. Whatever Angelotti did to get in jail was probably not his fault due to the way Scarpia despises both Angelotti and Cavaradossi and how he is as a person. If my friend or family member was in that type of danger, i would do everything if not more to help them than Cavaradossi did.
Max AWW#33 BCMS Lower Merion said…
Was it morally right for Tosca to kill Scarpia? Why or why not?

I think that Tosca killing Scarpia was a great idea. According to the impressions made from the passage, Scarpia was either not a very nice man, or he just misunderstood the situation they were in. Scarpia was going to kill Tasca anyway (he had a knife that he was ready to use next to him) and Tasca probably killed Scarpia out of anger of what he did to Cavaradossi.
Max AWW#33 BCMS Lower Merion said…
Was it morally right for Tosca to kill Scarpia? Why or why not?

I think that Tosca killing Scarpia was a great idea. According to the impressions made from the passage, Scarpia was either not a very nice man, or he just misunderstood the situation they were in. Scarpia was going to kill Tasca anyway (he had a knife that he was ready to use next to him) and Tasca probably killed Scarpia out of anger of what he did to Cavaradossi.
Max AWW#33 BCMS Lower Merion said…
Was it foolish of Tosca to trust that Scarpia would let Cavaradossi go?

I thought it might have been a little foolish. Tosca probably thought the offer was true before she thought about it because she was A) worked up with the excitement that Cavaradossi would live and B) she was trying to stealthily pick up the knife sitting beside Scarpia.

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...