Skip to main content

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music.

Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences.

Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice?

Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion!

Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more!

JOIN OUR OPERA EMAIL LIST!
Email education@operaphila.org and we'll deliver free opera right into your inbox once a week. Each week there will be a youtube "Clip of the Week" and a great opera-related website to check out. If you like opera, this is the place to be!

Comments

MaryAnn Grace said…
Otello, the opera, was outstanding! I really liked Desdemona and her vioce was so peaceful to listen to! I also really liked her costume and all the others. The sets were great for only having 15 minutes to change. Everytime an act was finished I would get excited to see what the next set would look like! Mark Delavan was excellent in singing and he played his character really well for being in a wheelchair. I had a terrific time and I hope I get to come again and see a different performance!!!
Anonymous said…
John; Wilmington Friends School; Grade 12.

Both the play, Othello, and Verdi's inspired opera use monologues and arias to delve deep into the characters' differing mentalities. As a result, there is not much movement or heavy action on the stage. I though the Company did a wonderful job of compensating for this slower plot with amazing, elaborate sets, richly detailed costumes, and (credit here goes to the actors) fantastic vocals. Iago, of course, was awesome, and I hope he gets better soon! Thanks for a great last rehearsal.
Emme Pallante - Pallante Homeschool said…
I really liked the opera "Otello". The stage and the scenery were really pretty. The costumes were nice especially Desdemona's. The singing was very nice and loud. Even though they sang in Italian I could understand what was going on. I really had a good time and liked it more than I expected. I can't wait to go again.
Anonymous said…
"Otello" the story of a Moorish general which takes place on the island of Cyprus, is a wonderful performance. One of the things I really liked about the opera were the interesting plots twists. Otello goes from a man who loves his wife very much to being suspicious of her. This is all because of the evil deeds of Iago. The singing was fantastic and loud. I couldn't believe they had no microphones. The story played out well and the music made the acting more dramatic. I was really surprised because I liked the opera more than I thought I would. I would definitely go back.
Maryrose Zuppo said…
Otello, the opera, was mind blowing~!
It was my first opera, and it blew away my expectations. Honestly, I thought it was going to be a more grown up play, slightly boring and not that engaging, but it was fun to see the actors (all the actors) show emotion, so most of the time you didn't have to read the subtitles and it seemed that young adults could also so enjoy it as well.
What impressed me the most was that you could feel the emotions of the actors coming through their voices, which to a vocal student like me, was very impressive.
I also think that the wheel chair added to the dark appearance of Mark Delavan, which made him seem more dark and creepy.

I had and amazing experience and only wished that i could have seen the performance on Friday.
Anonymous said…
Daniel; Wilmington Friends School; Grade 11.

I thought Otello was great! The singers were fabulous, able to convey the characters' emotions and feelings through their voice and their songs. Probably my favorite aria would have to be Ave Maria, which Desdemona sang beautifully, giving it such dynamic contrast and emotion. In addition, the sets were fabulous, especially the bed set and its amazing canopy. I was impressed particularly by Iago's performance in the wheelchair; it's amazing that the modified staging came together as smoothly as it looked. Good luck with the upcoming performances and I hope Mark (Iago) gets better!
weezy said…
This was my first opera and it was a great experience, I especially enjoyed the music which gave the opera a lot more sustenance. I've been to musicals but the music in them isn't as intricate as the music in the opera. I liked Desdemona because shes pretty.... and she could sing. The sets were marvelous, especially the storm scene which looked absolutely amazing. I commend him for singing from a wheelchair it showed he had a lot of courage and that well the show must go on.I think Emilia had a gorgeous voice, eloquent yet astonishing.
Anonymous said…
Hannah; Wilmington Friends School; 12

Verdi's opera Otello requires much effort and creativity to stage in an engaging and visually interesting manner, due to the dark subject matter and very internal-conflict-centered plot. I thought that the Company did a beautiful job in staging the opera. The sets were quite impressive, though not overwhelming, and provided a complementary backdrop to the action. The costumes, also, were quite nicely done, fitting the set time period and setting well. My personal favorite character was Iago, because of the fact that he immediately gave me the 'evil vibe'. I also liked the fact that the actor who played Iago performed from a wheelchair, because it shows a real sense of commitment to his art. My favorite voice, however, was Desdemona, because of her soaring notes in the upper parts of her range. I greatly enjoyed this opera, mostly due to the great musical interest and visually interesting staging.
Unknown said…
Danielle; Wilmington Friends School; Grade 11
Otello, the opera, had a lot of expressive music in it, which greatly helped convey the story and message of each scene, considering it wasn't in english, and therefore more difficult to understand. My favorite aria was the "party" aria because it had many different emotions expressed by the music included in it. It also had a variety in voice parts and volume because there were chorus parts, duos, and solos included. I also really liked the aria where Desdemona and Otello are singing with Emilia and Iago singing on the other side of the stage. I felt that was well organized and articulated and had a great effect while still being understandable. I enjoyed the sets as well but I felt the composition of the music was especially spectacular. Thank you!
Jessica; Wilmington Friends; 12 said…
Going to the Otello opera was a great experience. The entire cast did a wonderful job and despite being in a wheelchair, Mark Delavan did a fantastic job of portraying Iago. I thought that the orchestra did a phenomenal job with the music. I had a terrific time and would love to go again.
Joe - WIlmington Friends School, Grade 12 said…
The opera Otello was wonderfully performed. The music was wonderfully performed, clear with great acoustics which is a very nice quality of the Acadamy. The acoustics where put to good use by the quality of the 69 strong orchestra. Iago's performance was splendid and made impressively more so by having to make up for the fact that he was in a wheel chair, I do not think his singing voice was greatly effected because it sounded great as did all the other members. The costumes were perfect as was the sets.
Anonymous said…
The Richard Monari; Wilmington Friends School; Grade 11.

I usually scoff at the idea of opera, finding it needlessly complex and over-dramatized. I must say, however, that I am really grateful for this program and the opportunity presented. Approaching it with a much more positive attitude, I was able to appreciate the acting, orchestra, and scenery (I especially liked Otello and Desdemona's bed with the hangy sheety thingy. I mean, that was really cool). The Libretto was a very nice addition, and it helped me in my reflections on what I heard. I can honestly say now that I will never not take a performance seriously again!
Parthena; Wilmington Friends School; Grade 12. said…
Having been to many different operas in the past, Otello had the most impressive set. The set changes were drastic and added to the plot. It was such an advantage to have seats on the floor, from which I could clearly see the orchestra pit and even the emotions on the singer's faces. Emilia was my favorite singer- her voice wasn't as high-pitched as Desdemona's. Rather, it was warm, strong, and rich in tone. In contrast to other opera's I have seen, there was little movement on-stage. While this may be attributed to Iago's injury, I would have enjoyed more movement or dancing to further capture my attention during the longer conversational scenes. I thought the orchestra accompanied the singer's very well. The orchestra either paralleled weather patterns, emphasized vocals, or occupied pauses in both monologues and dialogues. I would recommend this opera to others!
Unknown said…
Otello was a beautiful performance. The performers did a fantastic job with Verdi's work and I was amazed by the virtuosity of the pit musicians. Iago made up for the fact that he was in a wheel chair by singing powerfully and precisely. It almost made me ignore the fact that he was rolling around the whole time! Though I am not a huge fan of operas, I enjoyed this performance. Lukus-WFS grade 12
Parthena; Wilmington Friends School; Grade 12. said…
Having been to many different operas in the past, Otello had the most impressive set. The set changes were drastic and added to the plot. It was such an advantage to have seats on the floor, from which I could clearly see the orchestra pit and even the emotions on the singer's faces. Emilia was my favorite singer- her voice wasn't as high-pitched as Desdemona's. Rather, it was warm, strong, and rich in tone. In contrast to other opera's I have seen, there was little movement on-stage. While this may be attributed to Iago's injury, I would have enjoyed more movement or dancing to further capture my attention during the longer conversational scenes. I thought the orchestra accompanied the singer's very well. The orchestra either paralleled weather patterns, emphasized vocals, or occupied pauses in both monologues and dialogues. I would recommend this opera to others!
Anonymous said…
Jordan; Wilmington Friends; Grade 12

I think that everyone should go see this opera. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this opera and Iago's evil plan unfold. Mark Delavan was/is amazing! To be injured and still go through a full fledge performance without showing any signs of pain and adjusting to his predicament, definitely showed his loyalty and determination. His voice sent chills down my spine everytime he plotted with Roderigo. The sets were so intricate and eye - catching that I was left speechless each time another Act began. The company did an amazing job with the task of showing us Otello's world. The costumes were so elaborate and the actors did an awesome job personifying and representing their respective characters. Orchestra did a great job keeping me on the edge of my seat with haunting melodies. Awesome job!!
Lindsay; Wilmington Friends School; Grade 12 said…
The Otello opera was simply beautiful. The costumes and set were intricately designed, but did not overpower the internal message of the opera. Therefore, the musical pieces were highlighted. Desdemona successfully mastered all of the emotions and qualities of her character. She had complete control over her voice, as the combination of any dynamic and pitch sounded seamless yet still human. Delavan also did a fantastic job, especially in a wheelchair. As he had a large amount of singing unaccompanied, he manipulated his spotlight to capture and draw in the watcher, just as he does with Otello, Cassio, and Roderigo.
Annonymus said…
Matt; Wilmington Friends School; Grade 12.

The opera was very well done, and I enjoyed the instrumentation and vocals throughout. All of the performers were excellent, though I must say that Iago took the cake. Beyond the vocals, though, I found that the orchestra (and the small string band consisting of a guzla and various small harps that played during Act II) added an entire new level to the story. Having read and enjoyed "Othello" in the past, I found that the orchestra gave me great insight into the emotions and feeling of the characters. The musical themes and leitmotifs throughout the opera provided an entirely new medium for the characters to portray their emotions.
P.S. I hope that Iago gets better soon!
The LPR said…
Rick, Wilmington Friends School;
Grade 12

I enjoyed this Opera very much. I was overwhelmed how Iago was still able to perform so well in spite of being in a wheelchair. The music was marvelous, and the performers' voices went terrific with the orchestra. The set was also magnificent, enhancing each scene. That was my first opera but perhaps...not my last.
Anonymous said…
Olivia; Wilmington Friends School, Grade 11.

OCP's production of Verdi's Otello was astonishing. From the sets and costumes, to the skill behind the beautiful voices, it was a well thought out performance. I could tell how the set designer put a lot of thought behind the props and backdrop. With the themes and emotions surrounding this opera, I believe the designer made very good choices with colors, as well as lighting.
Another thing I liked about the performance were the costumes. They looked very intricate, and did not take any attention away from the overall performance. Lastly I would like to talk about the performers. The man who played Iago had a very strong, and supported voice. He had a lot of emotion behind his voice, and his singing did not take away from his acting skill. Also the fact that he was in a wheelchair, and how that fact did not affect his voice really showed his dedication. I thought the man was also very strong, but his voice was not as supported and full as Iago. At points in his performance I thought he sounded as though he were straining, and having trouble reaching those higher notes. Lastly Desdemona had a very beautiful voice. She hit those high notes with ease and grace. She also had a very strong voice, especially in the last act when she sang while lying down on her bed.
Overall i thought the performance was really good, and if I were to comment on things I would change, I would be sure to make sure all the actors/actresses on stage know how to act before the singing, because acting is crucial to the show.
Anonymous said…
Annie, Wilmington Friends School, Grade 12.

The OCP's production of Otello was phenomenal! The attention to detail yet also care of the overall appearance of the sets made them truly awe-inspiring, and truly helped place us in Otello's world. While it took me till one or two acts had passed to mature up to not laughing every time the spokes of his wheel chair shone in the spotlight, I was extremely impressed with Mark Delavan's performance (the facial expressions, gestures and sheer power of his voice made for a very convincing villain). In terms of directorial decisions, I think the beautiful sets could have been worked into the performance of the actors. The children-incorporated dancing scene was very enjoyable and I think more movement or use of the stage space would increase pace.
Ellen - Wilmington Friends School; Grade 12 said…
I really enjoyed the OCP's production of Otello. Though there was minimal onstage movement, the incredible sets and costumes kept the scenes visually engaging. Everyone sang beautifully; I think Desdemona and Otello sounded great when they sang together. Mark Delavan did a fantastic job; I was originally worried that his being in a wheelchair would lessen his authority on the stage but I found that, rather, he had a very powerful stage presence. The music was really great, that and the sets were my favorite aspects of the opera. Thank you for a wonderful performance!
On September 29,2010 I got a chance to see my first opera. The opera I got a chance to see is Otello. The entire opera was in Italian and like expected I did not understand a thing. Besides the language barrier, I was already familiar with the opera and the story behind it which made it easy for me to understand the concept. The theater seats were really tight and I couldnt stretch my legs but besides that I really enjoyed the opera and the actors.
Michael Ortiz said…
The play was pretty good. I enjoyed Desdemona and her suffering really got to me. They were really good actors, and Mark Delavan performing in a wheelchair shows real dedication. Otello's descent into madness is riveting and Iago's trechery is so well planned. Overall the play was well enjoyed and I hope I get to see another one.
JEbanks said…
I attended the opera Otello on September 29, 2010 with my program. We got a chance to experience a dress rehrsal fpr the play and it was awesome. Their stage clothing was very relevant to the story's setting and time period. Although they didn't have microphones, their voices were projected pretty far, which was loud enough for me to hear. The supertitles were extremely helpful, being that i don't understand Italian. Overall, the play was a wonderful experience and time well spent.
Anonymous said…
Otello the play was simply amazing. I was very impressed with all of the actor's participation in the play. My favorite actor has to be Iago. The man peformed with a bad leg, which shows that he really loves his job. I also have to thank the other actors. Otello was outstanding, I would be thrilled to go to an opera again.
Griffin L - Waldorf School of Philadelphia, 14 said…
I loved the opera Otello and thought it was much better than just reading the libretto. The stage scenery was truly amazing and waiting for each new scene was really cool. The costumes were very cool and got me thinking about how they were made. I loved that Iago came on stage in a wheel chair and spun about for us. I thought my friend Celia was amazing in the children's chorus!
Oliver M. B. - Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
The opera Otello was phenomenal. Iago is a criminal mastermind and I enjoyed his performance even though he was medically disabled. Desdemona gave a great performance with her delicate, articulate singing. My favorite part was when the Desdemona and Otello die during the slow, romantic ending. My favorite performer was Celia in the children's choir. Next time she should have a lead role! I've seen three operas with my shcool and this one was by far the best.
Sam W, 14. Opera company of Philadelphia said…
I really enjoyed the Opera Company of Philadelphia's production of Otello. The costumes and sets were fantastic. I thought the singing was very, very beautiful. I thought that the man that played Otello was a very good singer. Iago was excellent too, even in a wheel chair. Thank you for inviting our school to participate! Please invite us again next yar. The show was very nice.
Sam P, 14 - Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
Otello was very interesting. The plot was exciting and gripping, althouh some scenes were rather long and I started to get a bit sleepy. It was an exquisite flourish to the evilness of Iago to have him in a wheel chair. The scenery was beautiful. I loved the Act IV set with the blue silk and the bed. The whole thing was spectacular, but I thought it could be a little shorter. The children's choir was very good and my favorite performer was Celia, a girl in the choir. You should hire her again. She has a great voice. Iago was pretty awesome.
Erin P, 13 - Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
This was the third year our school participated in the Sounds of Learning and went to the opera. Out of all the operas we've seen, Otello is my favorite. The singers were excellent, and the story was easy to follow. My favorite set was in Act IV. The blue color was really cool. My favorite character was Desdemona. I really liked her costumes and voice as well. Even though this is my last year at the Waldorf School and the Sounds of Learning, I hope to go to the opera again sometimes.
Meira K., 13 - Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
Otello was very well done! It was very impressive. Iago impressed me the most, singing so wonderfully from a wheelchair! In fact, all of the singing was amazing. This was my 3rd time visiting the Opera Company of Philadelphia, but this time was by far the best. I loved the plot, and the singers really showcased the emotion in the songs. I commend the entire cast for an amazing performance!
Mariah L., 13 - Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
Thank you so much for letting us come back to the Opera Company of Philadelphia at the Academy of Music. Otello was really amazing. I was so touched that Iago sang for us even though he was injured. My favorite performer was in the children's choir. Her name is Celia. The only thing I didn't like was having loud people behind us. It really was an awesome performance, and if there were any mistakes, I didn't notice. Thanks again!
Brenna S., 14 - Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
Otello was really really amazing! I enjoyed watching the beautiful Desdemona sing. I enjoyed watching Iago be devious and Otello be jealous. I fantasize about being in one of Desdemona's gorgeous dresses or being in such a mystifying ambience as was created on the stage. Desdemona's bedroom set was beautiful. The drapes over the bed and the blue lighting made me hold my breath. It was so beautiful that when Desdemona and Otello died I almost cried out of sorrow for the torn apart lovers.
Jacob H., 13 Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
I do not enjoy opera very much, but this one was not too bad. The sets were amazing. I very much enjoyed when my friend Celia came out on stage. I see a future for this young woman. Thank you for inviting our school to your opera.
Dante D., 11 - Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
Thank you for your performance. It was awesome. I think Iago did a good job in a wheelchair. The props were cool and big. The story was a real tragedy. The chandelier was so big and it was cool how it moved up and down.

The orchestra was cool. I liked how they played under the stage, and the singing was outstanding. I can't wait to come back next year.

PS. I'm half Italian
Alex R, 12 Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
I liked the whole opera including the set. The pillars were amazing and the props were great. The crystal chandelier was cool and I liked how they raised it. The acting was great but the singing was too high for me. Thank you for letting us experience this wonderful opera. I enjoyed it very much.
Zoe O, 12 -- Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
The opera was an interesting experience. I really liked the sets, especially the set in the last scene. The costumes were also amazing. I thought that the performers were great. It was awesome that Iago did the opera even though he hurt his knee and was in a wheelchair. My favorite character was Desdemona because the singer was really good. I also like going to the Academy of Music. I have been there a few other times but not to see an opera. One of my favorite things about the Academy of Music is the theater. It is really big and the chandelier is cool. Thank you so much for allowing us to come to the last dress rehearsal for free.
Brianna S, 12 - Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
Thank you for the wonderful experience. It was a great show. The scenery, the costumes, and the singers were amazing. I loved the bedroom scenery. Desdemona was great at acting out the scenes and Iago was amazing in his wheelchair. This was my first opera and I am inspired to see more. My friend from the Pennsylvania Girl Choir was great too.
Connor S., 13, Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
One of my favorite parts of the opera was the set design, because it was creative in so many ways. In the first act, I liked the ship sails in the background. In Act 2, I liked the lattice in the background. In Act 3, I loved the whole set because it looked like it would suit Otello's style of living. My favorite characters in order are Iago, Otello,k Cassio, Roderigo and then Desdemona. Iago was my favorite because he was interesting and devious. I didn't like Desdemona because I thought she was self-centered. I would have liked more sword fighting because for me it would have made the opera even better than it was. Over all, I give it a YES!
Keeley W., 12 Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
I liked this opera a lot. Act I, Act II and Act III were all great, but Act IV was kind of a drag. That was probably because I was tired, though. Iago was my favorite character. He'll be even more epic once he's out of his wheel chair. I liked the chandelier. We spotted our orchestra teacher playing violin in the pit. I have a suggestion as well: you should have peopel walk around with big plates of cheese and crackers.
Saria R., 12 Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
The sets were amazing, and each detail was perfectly put in place. But the setting was only the border of the masterful foundation of colorful music. The actors were superb, the music, exquisite. Even though Iago was confined to a wheelchiar, his character was not diminished, and his voice was amazing. The story itself would be nothing without experiencing the performance. I am very grateful that we were able to go.
Ben W. 11 Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
I really enjoyed listening to the orchestra. It fascinated me how well they communicated while playing extremely hard pieces of music. I am also happy that Iago performed even with a hurt leg. He did a fantastic job! Thanks so much for letting us come to the dress rehearsal.
Bruno S, 11 Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
I really liked the performance of Verdi's "Otello." One of the fun parts of the theater is the crystal chandelier. It is huge. I liked the characters in the opera, like Otello and Iago. I also liked the sets. Thanks for having us. P.S. I'm Italian.
Anonymous said…
Molly Erfert,Home schooled,6th grade

Otello was an amazing opera! This is the first opera I've been to and I really hope to see more! Iago played by Mark Delavan was really a great singer! I'm sure singing an opera in a wheelchair was difficult! The sets were just outstanding! I really liked Desdemona's bedroom. When the curtains went up,the crowd went ahh! That was my favorite sceen! I think seeing the dress rehearsal was really cool! The wheelchair I think actually went along with Iago! He sorta reminded me of Mad Eye Moody from Harry Potter!
Rachael said…
Michelle Ferry Homeschool; Grade 6

I absolutely loved Otello. Overall I thought it was one of the best operas I have seen so far. But, I thought that the bedroom scene with Desdemona and the scene with Otello on his throne were drawn out too long. I did like the way Iago's evil side was emphasized. And how Desdemona was made so pure, radiant, kind and loving,I could see why the other characters would almost worship her. The scene where Cassio gets drunk was funny. I would love to see this opera again. Thank you for this opportunity!
Unknown said…
Samuel
11th Grade
Christ Academy

As a fifth time attendee of the Opera Company of Philadelphia, I was expecting to be wowed by their performance of Otello and I have to say that I wasn’t disappointed. While this was a dress rehearsal, and the final one at that, the performance was impressive for the most part. Desdemona had a beautiful voice that carried well, and she played her character with passion. Her ability to sing while lying down was very impressive. My favorite character by far was Iago, played by Mark Delevan. Not only was his acting superbly convincing, but he sang and acted in his wheel chair! Indeed, as the performance went on, I found that the chair actually added to his character, making him seem more sinister and mysterious than before. By the end, I was convinced that the part of Iago must have been written for a wheel chair and that Shakespeare had just failed to mention it. The wheel chair had been a last minute change and the other characters responded well to the new blocking. Not only was Mr. Delevan a great actor, but his solid voice complimented his character perfectly.
The sets were also fantastic, being on a scale that I had not encountered before in opera. The use of vivid and vibrant color was especially enjoyable. The orchestra was alright, but they definitely needed some work. Fortunately the maestro took the time to work with them during the scene changes and they had improved greatly by the last act. The only rain on an otherwise wonderful parade was the audience, which was loud, uncooperative, and a general distraction from the performance. The school program is a wonderful learning tool and is eagerly looked forward to by many students, including myself. However I believe more emphasis should be put on opera etiquette in the future. Overall, Otello was a fantastic opera experience complete with stunning sets, superb acting, and beautiful singing.
Kayla said…
Since it was my first time ever going to an opera, I enjoyed it because the characters did a great job performing and acting out the parts. The scenes were beautiful which made me enjoy the opera even more. I also enjoyed the opera because Iago did well performing in a wheelchair and I thought that Iago wasn't going to do a good job, but he did.
Anonymous said…
I think when Michael Delavan performed in a wheelchair it was awesome! his performing in wheelchair helped save the opera. But I would've loved to see the opera without was still good. I am hoping to go to another opera because that was my first opera ever! I loved it. Thank you Delavan! :)
-Kevin(FACTS School)
Jazzlyn said…
I enjoyed the opera because i think all the characters did really well acting and singing. I also think of what (the character of) Iago did was really good becuase even though he was in a wheelchair, he still performed for us. It inspired me to never give up even if you're down or hurt, you can still try. I love wehn they changed the different sets it loked so real. - Jazzlyn
zikeera said…
I really enjoyed myself at the Opera. It was something I've never done before. A also had never watched something with just music and no speaking. My favorite character was Desdomona because I loved how she was trying to tell Otello she wasn't cheating. I also thought Michael Delavan was good in the wheel chair. He was singing like his leg didn't hurt. I think the costumes were good too. I Liked Dedomona dresses. It was a style i never saw before.
JPA said…
Hi! My name is Eric and my favorite part of the opera was the fact that Iago was playing his role in a wheel chair. That was my favorite part because even though he was hurt, he still was in the play. What I didn't like about the play was desdmona was talking when she was dead. That was what I liked and didn't like in the opera
JPA said…
My name is Brendon. I think the opea Otello is pretty good because the way the set is prepared is awesome! The characters are good singers and the my favorite scenes were the fighting scenes like when all the men characters take out their swords and fight. Then Otello comes in and stops the fight. That is my favorite part because how they faught and how Otello came in and stoped it, he showed them whos boss/
JPA said…
I think the opera Otello was good because Iago tells Otello that further proof of Desemona and Cassio's affair coming. Desdemona kept pleading the he give Cassio his job back and that made Otello mad.
JPA said…
I think the opera Otello was good because Iago tells Otello that further proof of Desemona and Cassio's affair coming. Desdemona kept pleading the he give Cassio his job back and that made Otello mad.
JPA said…
Two words for Otello the opera-amazing and mindblowing! I am Antonio this was my first and the best opera. It was good enough to see a second time. The sets were amazing too. That was the very best part of the opera. I encourage you to go to see and hear this fantasic opera!
JPA said…
My name is Zachary and my opinion of the opera was good. I think all the setting were good and colorful and I like how the costumes look. My favorite part was when they took out there swords and when Otello died and when Desdemona died.
JPA said…
Vaughn here. My favorite act in otello was Act IV when Desdemona was asleep and Otello came and she beged him not to dilled her, but Otello killed he and then he dilled himself. I liked the designs because I thought it was exotic. Also, I thought the fighting scenes and the death scenes were interesting as well. Finally, I thought the set-up scene was really mischieves and coldblooded.
JPA said…
My name is Jacynda. otello is weird. the play was good, but otello is weird. He killed himself and his wife & his friend. It is mean to kill other people. He is mean. Otello is a jerk!
JPA said…
My name is Tracy. I am eleven years old and go to JPA. Below I will tell you what I thought about Otello. In my opinion, I think Otello was good but I think it needed better background and better costumes. They could've added more props to the background and more details to the costumes. Alo, they neede more action in it. For example, Otello wasn't really dramatic when he died . Overall, the opera was good, but those are some things I didn't like.
Evelyn - FACTS Charter said…
I liked the sets and costumes- I thought they were outstanding. I really like the last scene, where Desdemona was about to die and she knew. I also liked the look of the bedroom set which was pretty, and the kingdom set as well. I liked how the actors were dressed up in the beginning as boat captains and boat passengers like in some movies that I have watched.
Anonymous said…
Otello turned out to be a good opera. However it could have been great if a few things were changed. I believe our seats for one had a huge impact on the quality of the sound from the actors. Also, Desdemona's voice was beautiful but our seats hindered that beauty. The orchestra was absolutely AMAZING! The set and costumes were spectacular. Iago did a wonderful job singing and acting and I hope he gets better soon!
Anonymous said…
Sarah
George Washington High school
Grade 11
“Othello” was a very inspiring and captivating opera. I is a good thing that my school is involved in something like this, because many teens today don’t appreciate the arts. The singing was very nice, and the plot got my attention the whole time. I look forward to attending the next opera coming up, and I’m sure my peers enjoyed it as much as I did.
Samantha age 11 Michelle Ferry Homeschool Group. said…
I really, really loved "Otello", and the actors were amazing! I can't believe they didn't get stage fright! I would have. My character was Desdamona, because she was innocent and had no idea what was going on, even though it seemed like it was about her. The fact is that it was not about her, but about power. But my favorite actor is the person who played Iago. The reason i say that is because he performed even though he just hurt his leg, and that tells a lot about his love of what he does and his personality. I loved it!
Zoe B, 12 - Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
I thought that the singing was fantastic in Otello. I loved how Desdemona sang after she had been strangled, because it sounded like she had been strangled. I thought Desdemona and Otello were the best singers, but my favorite characters are Iago, his wife, and Cassio. I thank the Opera Company of Philadelphia and the Sounds of Learning program for giving me the opportunity to see one of the best operas I will ever see.
Sierra K, 12 - Waldorf School of Philadelphia said…
The singing in Otello was very loud. It was amazing and beautiful. The orchestra was very good, but I was mainly looking at the stage and listening to the singing. The story was very, very sad, and although the opera was very long it was beautifully done. The set almost looked real and I loved Desdemona's bedroom. It was so cool! My favorite scene was when Otello killed her. My favorite characters were Otello and Desdemona. They both has big roles and were amazing. My favorite singer was Desdemona because I felt she could get her voice the loudest. The acting was okay but the singing was much better. The costumes were amazing, but Desdemona was the only person who really changed outfits.

The Academy of Music is huge and the chandelier scared me.

Thank you so much for inviting our school. It was something I will never forget.
Rachel Ricci, 11yrs. Michelle Ferry Homeschool Group said…
The opera was beautiful. The sets were amazing! The actors were excellent and portrayed their characters really well. It was interesting that Lago's wheelchair seemed to add to the evil affect, even though they did not have wheelchairs like that back then.
Lago was my favorite character. His acting was so good that it made his character seem so real. I have been to only two operas, but so far this is my favorite! Thanks for a great time!!
Mia said…
I really enjoyed the opera Othello. The singing was amazing, especially Desdemona. I really loved the set and costumes. All the actors stayed so in character. You could really hear the emotion in the singing so much you almost didn't need to see the words. The orchestra was phenomenal. The set changes were quick and soundless. Everything had such beautiful detail that I almost didn't believe that it had appeared on stage in so little time. The whole performance was lovely and I hope to see another production.
Kayla; Westtown School said…
Otello was the first opera I've seen and I didn't expect to like it since it's in Italian but it was really good. My favorite character was Desdamona but I was really impressed that the actor for Iago sang even though he was in a wheel chair. The singing was really good and the set was amazing.
Anonymous said…
As a student at George Washington High School we are usually offered a lot opportunities. This September we were offered a chance to see a live opera, Otello. This was the first play that I have ever attended and i enjoyed this experience greatly. The view that we had from our seats was tremendous. Even though this was a final dress rehearsal, the actors performed full out and delievered a top notch perfomance, along with the beautiful music delivered by the orchestra. The sets designed by Paul Shortt were beautiful, they captured the scenery of the play well. The set went from a city of Cyprus to the beautiful bedroom of Otello and Desdemona.
This was a beautiful and exciting experience. I am looking forward to attending next years opera!

Boris Ben
11th Gr.
George Washington High School
Anonymous said…
This year Washington High School offered a free trip to experience the opera, Otello. I have personally never attended an opera in Philadelphia. The characters had a remarkable amount of talent and were accompanied beautifully by the orchestra. The set design by Paul Shortt was appealing to the eye and was quite realistic. All in all, the opera was entertaining and interesting. I hope to attend the next opera that is offered at my school.

Jordana DiPaolo
11th Grade
George Washington High School
Greta L said…
Westtown School 8th Grade

I really loved seeing the opera 'Otello'. I thought it was very well done, and the singing was amazing! My favorite character was Iago because his voice was really deep and sounded incredible singing with everyone else. I also loved listening to Desdemona sing because her voice was very soft yet very beautful. The costumes and sets were very elaborate and beautifully made. It was a shame Mark Delavan had to be in a wheelchair, but despite that problem he was wonderful! He looked like he'd rehearsed the opera in a wheelchair the whole time! The singing sounded so beautiful to listen to, even though I couldn't understand what they were saying without reading the subtitles. Overall, I thought Otello was great and I want to say thanks for a great performance.
Mary Clara said…
Mary Clara; 10th grade; Princeton High School
Experiencing Otello live was an inconcievable! From the beginning of the first act my heart was racing at the sight of the multitude of actors all on the stage. It was a slightly overwhelming, so much was occuring, but my eyes could not leave the stage. When Otello first arrived off the boat, I was a little perplexed as to who the character was until I realized that the people were praising him from returning from the battle. I expected Otello to look a lot more gallant and strapping compared to what he actually looked like. What amazed me throughout the play was the actor who played Iago. Despite the fact that he was wheelchair bound he managed to fully engulf the pure conniving disposition of Iago as to almost make you forget that he was in a wheelchair the entire time. All in the all, the sets were absolutely baroque-like. There was so much detailing that was obviously put into the set design and costumes. My favorite sets would have to be the garden where Desdemona and Cassion were talking and the bedroom of Otello and Desdemona. The colors completely added to the overall effect of the play. While it was hard to keep up with the subtitles, the singing was exquisite. Otello was an unimaginable play to have had the chance to watch and I would want to see it on an opening night.
Anonymous said…
Jochebed; Princeton High School! Grade 10
The Opera Company of Philedelphia's portrayal of Verdi's Othello captured the audience through captivating sets, elaborate costumes, and full, well-developed and projected voices from its talented cast. The opening scene alone, "reeled" the audience in as the cast stood at the harbor and introduced some of them main charaters to the audience. The entire plot was portrayed well, but it seemed that at certain points, the actors may have been a bit affected by the audience causing the acting to be a bit less convincing. Although there might have been a few minor lapses in the acting, the cast always recovered. I believe Desdemona and Iago were the stars of the show because of both, thier acting, and their singing. Iago convincingly manipulated his way through the play and kept the audience engaged with his powerful voice. As for Desdemona, the sympathy I felt towards Desdemona revealed the quality of her acting. In addition, the songs allowed her to showcase her talent as she hit her notes beautifully even on her death bed. Overall, it was a well performed opera.
Anonymous said…
Mari; Princeton High; Grade 11

Othello is often called one of Shakespeare's greatest plays. Verdi's Otello supports that claim. Although the first scene with multiple actors on stage was exciting (especially with the sound effects), the scenes with only the main characters were often the most charming due to the simplicity and elegance of the scenes. The more complicated scenes seemed disorganized (maybe deliberately), and some of the actors and actresses did not look like they were in character. However, this feeling soon disappeared during the next couple of scenes. The scenes with only the main characters were well done. When Desdemona hesitatingly approaches Othello, her hands, facial expressions, and even her pace matched her hesitance perfectly. During the simple scenes with less action, the movements of the actors made the scenes mesmerizing. An example is Otello's actions during the scene where Iago and Cassio talk as Otello listens. The actor of Iago also did an astounding job. Even though he was in a wheelchair, his simple movements, such as putting his foot up, made the scenes he was in a real pleasure to watch. Overall, this production of Otello definitely does live up to the expectation of Othello being one of Shakespeare's best plays. The scenes of Otello are unforgettable.
Unknown said…
I loved seeing the opera Otello. We’ve been reading and writing about it so much it was nice to finally see it in person. I really liked the details in the costumes and settings because it took me back in time. Otello was my favorite character. He was so worried about what was going on in his mind, and was clueless of what Iago was doing. I think Mark Delevan did amazing from his wheelchair, he rarely messed up or seemed like he was injured.I think Otello had the best singing voice because his voice was loud and powerful. I have to say Mr.Delevan was the best actor because he had to work the hardest. He had to move around and sing from his wheel chair. These are the things I liked about the opera.

Jonathan
6th grade
Christ Academy
Allie M.S. said…
Allie; Michelle Ferry Homeschool Group; grade 11.

Otello was the third opera I have seen, and I think it was wonderful. The sets and costumes were beautiful. Three of my favorite characters were Iago, Otello, and Desdemona. Mark Delavan(Iago)'s perfomance really suprised me. It was very interesting how he could play such an evil character, and then show a completely different person when he was showing off during his curtain call! I would see this opera one hundred times over again, if they would let me come to see it that many times!
Austin Bramley said…
Austin Bramley, Westtown School

I really enjoyed the opera especially because it was my first time going to an opera. I thought that Mark Delavan (Iago) was great and he did really well even though he was in wheelchair. I liked the different sets and the swordfights, overall it was an exelent performance.
Abby Kaplan said…
Westtown School, 8th grade
I really enjoyed seeing the opera Otello. I thought that the singing was amazing. It was my first time going to an opera, and I was very impressed. You could really see the emotions in everybody faces, so I almost didn't need the subtitles! That said, I think that in some parts it was a little confusing because there were a lot of people singing and there were only subtitles for one or two. However, I still got the idea of what was happening pretty well. It was a shame that Iago had to be in a wheelchair, but I think he did very well with that and it looked like it was planned. Thank you for a great performance!
Brian, age 10, Ferry Homeschool Group said…
I really liked the beginning of Otello. As soon as the opera started, I forgot everything else around me. The set was so big and looked real. I liked all the people on stage. Their singing was very good. Iago was my favorite character. He sang well. I liked his costume because it didn’t look like a costume. He looked like he belonged in the 15th century. I did not like that Otello died at the end. I don’t like it when the main character dies
Anonymous said…
In my opinion the story Otello was the best opera I have ever seen.
. The opera had a great story line , fitting and enjoyable music ,and a great setting.

My favorite part was the ending. Otello finds out that Iago created all the conflicts and drama and that Otello has killed Desdemona for nothing.
The only thing i didin't like about it was that I had to look up at the screen to know what they where saying.
I think Otello would deserve a 4 out of 5 stars.

Ro, Houston School, 7th Grade
Anonymous said…
In my opinion, the opera otello was a 4 out of 5 star show. The performance was wonderful, the music went great with the performance, it made it come alive even more.

My only problem was that when you read from the board that translated the messages you would miss the action that was taking place on stage. Another problem was that some of the scenes dragged on. For example it took Desdemona to long to die. But overall the singing, the setting, the conflict, and the costumes were great. If you asked me I would go see it again.

Mikaya, Houston School, 7th Grade
Anonymous said…
I think that the opera was outstanding.There was a lot of drama.There was action and romance. the action was the sword fight between Cassio and Roderigo. the romance was between Otello and Desdemona. Sometimes the romance took a bad turn. The content of the opera was amazing. I felt as if the opera took me back to the real time period of the whole thing. I also loved the costumes and the scenery of the opera. Because of these reasons I give the opera 4 stars. I would recommended this opera to anyone.

Kiara, Houston School, 7th Grade
Anonymous said…
I would give Otello four and a half stars out of five. I was definently entertaining. I also liked the drama because it had an intense conflict. I liked the part when Iago got caught because or all the lies he told. The only thing I did not like was that you had to look up from the scene to see what the characters were saying. When you looked up you could not see what the characters were doing. That is why I would give the play a four and a half stars out of five.

Nataya,
Houston School
7th Grade
Anonymous said…
Otello, was a very amazing opera. I give Otello four and a half stars out of five. The choice of cast was stunning there voices lit up the academy of music. The costumes were gorgeous. The setting was very realistic, and it made me feel as if I were in the show. It kept me well entertained and I'd Certainly love to see it again. This opera was way better than Madame butterfly, and Giusppe Verdi is an astonishing opera writer.

Raqia,
Houston School
7th Grade
Lili D said…
I thought that the opera, Otello, was very good and I enjoyed it. I thought the singers were very talented, and they did a very good job. I especially enjoyed the scene at the end, when Desde;mona was dying. I thought it was very creative and well done. Overall, I liked the opera very much, and enjoyed going to see it.
Zoe Laky said…
Westtown School
I really enjoyed the Othello performance. I liked the part when Desdemona was dying best. I thought the actors were really good and very skilled. I originally thought I would hate an opera but it turns out it left a good first impression and i really liked it. I cant wait to come and see another performance.
Zoe Laky said…
Westtown School
I really enjoyed the Othello performance. I liked the part when Desdemona was dying best. I thought the actors were really good and very skilled. I originally thought I would hate an opera but it turns out it left a good first impression and i really liked it. I cant wait to come and see another performance.
Anonymous said…
Jadejit; Lingelbach Grade 7
I like the opera because it had a good plot and the performers were really dedicated. For example, the person who played Iago was injured, yet he gave a great performance. Desdemona was my favorite character. Her singing skills were superb and her character was kind and loyal. Thanks and looking forward to next year.
Anonymous said…
Ahmesha Lingelbach Grade 7
This was my first opera. When I walked into the Academy, I was awed. The beautiful chandelier, the paintings on the ceiling were great. My favorite character was Desdemona. She was dressed beautifully and her voice was soft and sweet. The sets were interesting and colorful. Thanks for the experience.
Anonymous said…
Shamir Lingelbach Gr. 7
Although I didn't attend the opera, I thoroughly enjoyed the study guide. My favorite character was Iago because he was a lot like me. He was devious, sneaky and smart. When we read the libretto in class, I always played the part of Iago. Hopefully, I'll be able to attend next time. Thanks for the opportunity.
Anonymous said…
Nia Lingelbach Grade 7
My experience at the opera was fun. Everything looked realistic. I liked the costumes and Desdemona was my favorite character. Thanks.
Anonymous said…
Matthew Lingelbach Gr. 7
Dear Patrons,
Thank you very, very much for letting our school attend Otello. The Academy is impressive. The opera, my first, was great. Iago was my favorite.
Anonymous said…
Joseph Lingelbach Grade 7
I liked the opera but I didn't like having to read the translation. By reading, I missed some of the action in the opera. Iago was my favorite character because I liked the tone of his voice. My favorite setting was the boat scene with all the people singing near the fire.
Anonymous said…
Maurice Lingelbach Gr. 7
I liked the opera and how well the actors played their roles. Our seats were good because we could see everything. Thank you.
Anonymous said…
Brianna Lingelbach Gr. 7
The opera put me in a good mood and I'd like to see Otello again. My favorite character was Iago but my favorite singer was Cassio. His voice was so rich. I loved listening to him. The costumes and sets were goo, too.
Anonymous said…
Tymere Lingelbach Gr. 7
I liked Otello somewhat. At some points, it was boring. The orchestra really set the mood for the entire opera. The music was great. I'll always remember this experience. Thank you very much.
Anonymous said…
Zaria Lingelbach Gr. 7
My experience at the opera was fun. I really liked everything about it. The sets were beautiful. I am looking forward to my next opera.
Anonymous said…
Nije Lingelbach Grade 7
The opera was magnificent. The actors were good and very graceful to watch. My favorite character, Iago, brought excitement and tension to the opera. He captivated my attention the entire time. I look for forward to enjoying many operas in the future. Thank you for this astonishing experience.
Anonymous said…
Emir Lingelbach Grade 7
There are many reasons I liked the opera, but the main reasons are the storyline and the actors. The actors were very talented and believable. Although the opera was a bit long, I really enjoyed it. My theory on Otello, the character, was too naive and very easy to trick.
Anonymous said…
Zaire Lingelbach Gr. 7
The opera was nice. The part I didn't like was when Otello killed his wife. My class really enjoyed the opera. Iago did a great job in his wheelchair. Thank you.
Anonymous said…
Stephanie Lingelbach Grade 7
The evening our class attended to opera was enjoyable. Otello was well done. After intermission, when the curtain opened, it was so beautiful. I liked the sets. They were serene and almost looked like the scene was in a fairy tale. Otello was my favorite character.
Anonymous said…
Kelvin Lingelbach Gr. 7
I enjoyed the singing. My favorite scene was when Otello and Desdemona were talking and Iago and his wife were singing at the same time. Lots of action.
Anonymous said…
Nate Lingelbach Gr. 7
My favorite scene was Act 1. The most entertaining part was when
Otello and his wife were arguing and he choked her to death, just like the study guide said. I liked the opera.
Anonymous said…
Dear Mr. Bolton,
Good morning. Below is our student responses from the opera Otello.


Kenny Outlaw, Age 11, Grade 5, Beauty for Ashes, Inc.

In the Opera when Otello came back from the war, he had a new wife named Desdemona. He really loved her until Iago got jealous of Cassio. Iago got jealous of Cassio because Otello gave Cassio a higher position than Iago. So Iago decided to wreck Otello's life. Iago told a lie that Cassio was in love wit Desdemona but Cassio wasn't. He was in love Emilia, Desdemona's maid. Iago was trying to get Otello to believe him and was planting words in his mind. Iago suceeded and Otello killed his wife and himself.

Kenny
Age 11, Grade 5
Beauty for Ashes, Inc.
Anonymous said…
Otello should not have killed Desdemona because Iago put all of those lies in his head. What if Iago had a wife and Otello made up lies and Iago killed himself? My favorite character was Otello because he did some nice acting during the fake killing. I did not like it when he killed Desdemona. Otello should not have been friends with Iago because Iago messed up someone elses life just to get at Otello and Cassio killed someone for no reason.

Isaiah
Beauty for Ashes, Inc.
Anonymous said…
My favorite part of the opera was Desdemona. I thought that she was really pretty and had pretty dresses. I really got sad when Otello killed her at the end because I didn't think it was fair because she was telling the truth. Otello killed Desdemona because Iago was telling a big lie that Otello believed. Otello believed Iago because they were best friends for a long time in the war. Iago said that Cassio liked Desdemona but he didn't, he liked the maid. Desdemona was pushed by Otello two times because he didn't trust his new wife, he trusted Iago instead, even when Desdemona was telling the truth. Iago was telling a really, really, bad lie. Otello believed Iago's lies over his wife's truths and ended up killing himself because he was sad.

Kenyetta Powell
Beauty for Ashes, Inc.
Anonymous said…
On September 29, 2010 we saw an opera called Otello. I really did not understand the words they were saying because it was italian, but I loved the singing it was really sweet. The person I loved very much was Desdemona. She was Otello's wife. When Otello accused her of being a liar, she was a good person and stayed innocent. I even liked the night gown that she wore when she went to bed. I hated Iago because he was playing tricks on people. Iago was telling so many lies and I think he should be punished. It was so sad that Desdemona died, that bad thing was that Iago got away. Otello killed his wife for no reason. How Otello killed his wife that he strangled her and Otello killed his self by stabbing himself with the knife that he was going to kill Desdemona with. Iago was so jealous and he pulled so many tricks that when everybody saw Desdemona dead, they found out finally that Iago wasn't really being a friend.

Kemba
Age 11, Grade 6
Beauty for Ashes, Inc.
Anonymous said…
Thank you for allowing us to come to Otello. My favorite character is Desdemona. Desdemona was a truthful wife. Until Iago opened his big mouth. Iago opened his mouth because he was jealous that Otello gave Cassio the position of Captain. In Act II Otello begins to believe Iago.

Otello in Act II started to believe that Desdemona was cheating on him. Iago's jealousy wrecked Otello's whole life. Otello began to get very angry. So he is staying away from Desdemona and Cassio.

Otello ends up in a bad position. He allowed Iago to decieve him because they were friends for a long time. So because he believes Iago, he says that his wife is a demon. Further into the opera, Otello goes bonkers and strangles Desdemona. This tells me Otello allowed deceit to draw him into anger and rage; but the deceit wasn't true!

Alliesha
Age 12, Grade 7
Beauty for Ashes, Inc.
Katie, Age 12, Ferry Homeschool Group said…
I enjoyed Otello very much. The sets were great; especially Desdemona’s bed, my friends and I were all raving about it! I think the man who played Iago was very talented, because he had a nice voice and he handled being in a wheelchair very well. Everybody was very talented, but he really stood out. I also liked how there were kids my age in it, maybe I’ll sing opera when I grow up! Otello was, by far, the best opera I have ever seen! Thank you for this amazing opportunity!
Anonymous said…
Nick-11, Ferry Homeschool Group

I really enjoyed Otello! I loved all the sets, but my favorite was Desdemona's bedroom. I was impressed that Mark Delavan performed, even though he was injured. His character was the one I liked the most. We had great seats! This was my second opera and I can't wait till I get to go again.
Anonymous said…
Jennifer-13, Ferry Homeschool Group

Otello was very enjoyable. I liked all the music, but felt that the love song was too long. The sets were great, very colorful and detailed. The performance of Iago, by Mark Delavan, was great. The wheelchair didn't take away from the character or storyline at all. Sitting in the center seats made me feel part of the performance. I have been lucky enough to see many performances through this program and I look forward to the next one!
John Dugan said…
I would like to express my sincere gratitude to everyone involved in arraigning for the students of Montgomery County Community College to attend the September 29Th performance of the opera Otello. This was my first opportunity to enjoy a professional opera performance, and it was one of the most unforgettable entertainment experiences I have ever had. I was so impressed by everything, from the beauty of the stage, the amazing musicians in the Orchestra, to even the beautiful architecture of the Academy of Music. I especially liked Norah Amsellem who sang the part of Desdemona. Her voice is fantastic. Mark Delavan, who sang the part of Iago from a wheelchair was also great. I also would like to thank The Opera Company of Philadelphia for bringing Otello to The Academy of Music, and for inviting us to the performance.

John Dugan
CodI Conley said…
I really liked "Otello" The sets were very nicely done. It had a good storyline that you could follow. Lago was very good even though he had been injured and had to do his preformance from a wheelchair. We had really great seats this time which made the experience even better. The Sounds of learning program is awesome for allowing us to have this oppurtunity. Thank you.

Codi Conley, Grade 9, Ferry Homeschool group.
Anonymous said…
Devin, Princeton highschool, grade ten

Overall I enjoyed otello very much. It was not my first opera
So I had expectations for the event but I was generally just there to watch. In all honesty I did not get
To see much until the second half because I was sitting in front of a pole however after a change of seating I was able to appreciate both the stage and the sound. The sets and the songing by themselves were very impressive. The only part I did not like was when there was a bunch of preople songing at once at which point I felt subject to a blast of conflicting Italian and subtitles that just did not seem to work. At the end I was very impressed and glad I got to see it.
Emilie R. S. said…
Emilie, Michelle Ferry Homeschool, grade 7.

I thought Otello was exciting, sad, scary, and really cool.The sets were beautiful, it is my favorite opera ever. I loved the final scene, my favorite characters are Desdemona and Otello. The costumes were amazing, I loved Desdemona's costumes the most, they were gorgeous. The music was fantastic and had me on the edge of my seat. I LOVE THIS OPERA
Tori said…
MICHELLE FERRY HOMESCHOOL GRADE 8TH

Otello, was amazing. I loved the performance, the stages were very colorful. I have been to other operas and out of all of them this one is my favorite. I really liked all of the costumes. I think Desdemona was my favorite character. Her voice was outstanding, it just filled the whole room.everyone looked great. I really injoyed the performance!

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...