Skip to main content

La Traviata - Adopt a Singer

Allison Sanders, soprano

Today, we bring you the
Adopt a Singer
Program!
This blog is written by one
of the cast members of

Traviata, Allison Sanders.
Allison is a student at
the
Curtis Institute of Music in
Philadelphia and
plays the role of Flora

in the opera.




Allison's Blog

April 12th,

Today was our meet and greet for the opera Traviata. I haven’t been feeling well but I wanted to come to the meet and greet to see my cast mates and attempt to sing. Something must be in the air because two people of the cast were out because of illness. Robert Driver didn’t skip a beat, so instead of doing the first act, which was on the schedule, he moved to the second act of the opera. This will give us all about two days to try and get better. Time for a lot of rest and fluids!

Allison Sanders


April 15th,

I just got home from a Meet the Artist event at the Bellevue Hotel, where the cast members in the opera, meet donors and their friends. This is my fifth show with the opera company and I remember being 18 and going to these events used to be so frightening because I was so shy and didn’t know what to expect. Now, it feels like seeing family with many of the donors, many of which have known me since I was 18. As, always the team at OCP hosted a wonderful event. All the members of the cast were there and everyone seemed to feeling much better. I’m excited to finally start staging the opera tomorrow. Act 1 here we come!

Allison Sanders


April 16th,

We had our first rehearsal today. We had a musical rehearsal first with the conductor Corrado Rovaris. He is amazing and since I’m a student I learn so much from him about singing in Italian. I want to absorb everything he can give me. Even though he’s very strict and picky about things, it always helps and sounds so much better when the problem is fixed. After our musical rehearsal a few of us from Curtis went to lunch with the Alfredo, Charles Castranovo, which was a definite treat. He has so much good advice and is so down to earth. After a great lunch we went back to rehearsal to begin Act 1, which opens with a party. I love parties and so does my character Flora who is really over the top and a lot of fun. The staging process went well today but the only thing that bothers most of us was that it was so cold in the rehearsal hall but the stage managers and assistants did everything in their power to make us all comfortable. I love this company!

Allison Sanders


April 19th,

Today was my big scene….ACT 3! Its Flora’s big party scene. I get to be completely over the top. I get a wild over the top costume which I cant wait to see and get into. In this scene I also get to get mad at the Marquis, which is being played my friend Thomas Shivone, who goes to school with me at Curtis. The staging for this act is somewhat tedious because there a lot of people on stage and a lot of stories that need to be told. Everyone in the cast is so nice and pleasant to be around that it hardly seems like work because we are having so much fun making music and having a good time in these fun party scenes. I’m excited to see everything all together with the chorus and dancers. Its going to be a really good time.

Allison Sanders

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...