Tan Dun's Tea: A Mirror of Soul
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Academy of Music
2:00 p.m.
Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Tan Dun's Tea: A Mirror of Soul, on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 at the Academy of Music.
Tea: A Mirror of Soul is a fantastical story of love, jealousy, and spiritual growth. It tells its story by using organic instruments like water, paper, and stone.
Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? What did you think of the water, paper and stone instruments? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the projections, costumes and sets? Your review should be at least 50 words or more.
Please include your first name, school and grade in your post.
Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more!
JOIN OUR OPERA EMAIL LIST!
Email education@operaphila.org and we'll deliver free opera right into your inbox once a week. Each week there will be a youtube "Clip of the Week" and a great opera-related website to check out. If you like opera, this is the place to be!
Comments
I thought that this opera was a fun one to see. Before we went to see this opera, we went to a Japanese Restaurant. At first, I thought that I was not going to like the food that was served there. I tried it, and I found out that I actually liked it. When we saw the Opera, I liked the music that was played with the water and the sieves. I also liked how it was in English. Most other operas are not really in English are overwhelming, because I don't really understand Italian or German or Japanese. I wish it was a little longer than 2 hours and 10 minutes, because most operas usually are. I also did not really like how the princess died, and I thought that was pretty sad. Generally, I thought it was the best opera I have seen, and it was the 2nd one I saw so far. At first, I thought this experience was not really going to be interesting, but it turned out that it kind of was.
Haverford Middle School Grade 7:
I found Tea to be an intriguing opera as I had never seen anything like it before and wasn't sure what to except. I really liked what I experienced. The music was one of the most interesting and engaging elements of the opera as it included a usual orchestra as well as sounds from rocks, paper,and water. I was also captivated by the beauty of the costumes and scenery. I felt like I was part of the opera and that was a unique experience.
Haverford Middle School
Grade 7
I felt that the opera, Tea: A Mirror of Soul, used an intriguing way to make music. I enjoyed the use of paper and water to make sound. They really added to the whole feel of the opera. Although the music was great, I thought that the opera was a little dragged out. The libretto was very short; therefore, to make the opera longer, the the story had to be stretched out over a longer time span than it should have been.
The opera and the theater it's self were amazing!!! The whole trip was great!! I really enjoyed the music, the scenery and really just everything. I like the costumes because they were colorful and vibrant. The words above helped me follow along when I couldn't quite hear the singers. I also like watching the rehearsel because it showed me actors/singer make mistakes just like everyone else.I can't wait for the next trip
I liked the opera because it had interesting scenes in the middle, near the end. I also liked it because of the music and sound effects. The beginning was a little slow. My favorite characer was Princess Lan because she was the center of everything. Through the costumes, I learned more about the Japanese culture.We used the study guide in class and also read the libretto.
I liked the opera because I was the very first opera I attended. My favorite character was Lan. She expressed herself nicely in both singing and movement. The sets and costumes were great. I wanted to see more about the Book of TEA and how it affected others. I still wonder how the Expression Tea helped people get thorough life. This was an awesome experience.
The opera, "TEA: A Mirror of Soul" was one of the best operas I've seen. I loved the romance and the sets were beautiful. I love the fact that the opera was in English. My favorite character was Lan. She didn't choose sides, no matter what, she was steadfast and stood her ground. I believe Lan was the most courageous of all the characters. Both Seikyo and he Prince were afraid to die, Lan wasn't. The costumes were beautiful. Thank you for this opportunity.
My expereince at the opera was great. Even though it was in English, the opera was a little hard to understand. Because of her soft but strong voice, Lan was my favorite character. The way water was used in the opera was fanastic. Never thought water could be used as an instrument.
My experience at the opera was exciting and fun. My favorite character was Lan because she was all about the idea of peace. She believed in peace just as I do. Lan sang beautifully. The Prince, Lan's brother, did a wonderful job convincing me he was the evil antagonist. My favorite scene was the one with Lu Yu and the Ritualist.
Over all the main thing that drove this opera was the attention to a good storyline. This is an almost forgotten element in most other modern operas but your however focused on a terrific story. I also like how you stepped forth to a a new non-instrumental music such as paper and water. The final thing I have enjoyed about your opera is the attention to a wonderful stage. Overall, I would give Tea: The Mirror of Soul, an excellent review.
Many things went through my mind when I saw the opera "Tea: A Mirror of Soul." For instance the orchestra was divine and surprising. Using water and paper as instruments was very clever. It seems Japan is full of Zen but also action. Princess Lan was beautiful as were the set and the props. The tea ceremony was so interesting; I would love to take part in it. Also for being a rehearsal, the performance was flawless. I give great thanks to Tan Dun for his great composing. Also I thank the manager at the Academy of Music for allowing us to see this exceptional performance.
First of all I would like to personally thank you for inviting me to an amazing opera. The props and setting were very convincing. The acting was touching. I adored it! I don't think that I have anything negative to say except for when the Prince kissed Lan. In my opinion, that relationship was a little closer than just brother and sister. I really enjoyed the sounds of the water; it was soothing. Two thumbs up for the costumes. The singing was so beautiful that I almost cried. Four thumbs up for Mr. Tan Dun. It was an honor to see him conduct. I'm a former non-opera lover, but after seeing "Tea: a Mirror of Soul" my mind has changed and I love it!
This is the second year we visited the Academy of Music, and so far the opera "Tea, a Mirror of Soul" was my favorite! I love how you made music with water and paper. It was awesome! (When I got home after the opera, I filled a bowl with water and started making music!) I loved what you did with the costumes. I felt like I was actually in Japan at the time. The acting, singing and music was genius! Tan Dun, you have created a masterpiece!
I thing that the Academy of Music did a wonderful production of "Tea: A Mirror of Soul." I loved that they brought out the true culture of Japan and China. I especially liked the Tea Ceremony. We created a tea house in our classroom and are doing our own tea ceremony. I also like how the girls made sounds with water. It sounded like raindrops or a leaky faucet. Tan Dun did an outstanding job composing the play and music. My favorite part of all was when Lan gave her life for her brother and her boyfriend.