Skip to main content

Rossini's The Italian Girl in Algiers


Sounds of LearningTM
Student Dress Rehearsal
Gioacchino Rossini's
The Italian Girl in Algiers
Wednesday,
November 12, 2008
6:15 p.m.

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Rossini's comic opera, The Italian Girl in Algiers, on Wednesday, November 12th.

The opera is brilliantly funny and the Opera Company's production can almost be described as slapstick. Isabella, a beautiful woman from Italy, is searching the seas for her fiance Lindoro who she fears has been taken captive by pirates.

She suffers the same fate when she becomes shipwrecked in the North African country, Algiers. Lo and behold who happens to be there but her long lost Lindoro. While there she turns the tables on the Bey to win her freedom and her Lindoro's so that they can happily return to Italy.

Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Which was your favorite character? Did you like the sets and projections?

Click here if you want to learn more about Rossini, The Italian Girl in Algiers, singers in the production, pirates and more.

JOIN OUR OPERA EMAIL LIST!
Email education@operaphila.org and we'll deliver free opera right into your inbox once a week. Each week there will be a youtube "Clip of the Week" and a great opera-related website to check out. If you like opera, this is the place to be!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I attended the Opera through the Opera Club at school. I thought the Opera was very exciting and joyous. The music was magnificent. The costumes were resplendent. The sets were well done, they added a lot to the show. I thought the actors were very humourous, kept me entertained and their voices were outstanding. Going to Opera Club helped me understand the language and the humor. Overall, I thought it was a wonderful opera and I would definately, come back.
Unknown said…
The opera was delightful. I attended with my Opera Club through Haverford Middle School. The costumes were beautiful and colorful. The singing was magnificent, I never heard anything like it before. And the actors were very accurate and funny. I hope to see another opera again. Thank you.
Anonymous said…
I thought that the opera was fantastic! I enjoyed listening to the music and seeing the decorative costumes. Some parts of the opera were humerous. The performers did an excellent job. I would love to see another opera with the Haverford Middle School Opera Club.
Anonymous said…
I loved this opera! I went with my school opera club and I thought it was incredible. The songs and actions were lively, the costumes were bright, and the best part (in my opinion) was that no one died in it! In the other two operas I've seen, many people die. But in this one, everyone ends up happy, which pleased me. All in all, I loved this opera and thought that the performers did a magnificent job. The sets were marvelous as well.
Anonymous said…
The Italian Girl in Algiers was a hilarious menage a Quatre! The despotic ruler Mustafa has the nerve and audacity to throw his 'wife' to his slave while he awaits a hot blooded Italian woman! Isabella more than met and conquered the cloistered female world of Mustafa's harem even while she in true mezzo-soprano style (think Carmen!) shows who is truly in charge of their life and their choices even when captured and enslaved.
Eli P said…
Bravo! I thought this opera was magnificent, having seen it with the Haverford Middle School Opera Club. The music was wonderful, as was the visual. Many parts were hilarious, even if I didn't always understand what was being sung. I highly recommend this opera. Thank you for this incredible experience.
Anonymous said…
This Opera was amazing and i could watch it again and again without stopping. All the actors were great and had amazing voices. the coustumes were perfect for each character. The sets were astonishing and when I saw the stage my eyes glowed with excitment. I would recomened to see an Opera to every one I know . At least once. Considering this was my first you made it one of my favorites. I loved how it had some humor and some serious moments it pulled the whole thing together. I would love to attend another Opera with the haverford middle school Opera club.

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Blog

WRITE A REVIEW:   Having had the opportunity to see  Carmen  at Opera Philadelphia, tell us what you thought. Be as detailed in your response as possible. Consider using "Wring a Review of the Opera" found of p.51 of your student guide to help organize your thoughts. We will accept all reviews, positive or negative! We simply ask that you thoroughly defend your opinion. In your response consider commenting on the story, the sets, the characters, the music, and more.  With  both options  we ask that you include your:               FIRST NAME:              SCHOOL:              GRADE: You never know, if your blog entry is well written, we may just have to put it on Opera Philadelphia's official blog page. We look forward reading your entry! Happy writing.  ...

Tosca Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Puccini's Tosca on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Academy of Music. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera? Why or why not? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? Who was your favorite singer? Which singer had the best and most im pressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and grade in your post. Don't forget to support your opinion! Click here if you want to learn more about these operas, the singers in the production, and more! Messag e from the Production Staff: We want to thank all participating schools for their wonderful behavior during the dress rehearsal! You were the best Co-Producers the Opera Company of Philadelphia has ever seen! A...

Otello Student Reviews

Students in the Opera Company of Philadelphia's Sounds of Learning program saw the final dress rehearsal of Verdi's Otello on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at the Academy of Music. Inspired by Shakespeare, Otello tells the story of a slave who overcomes great obstacles to become a noble general, but is then driven to unspeakable jealousy by a scheming, envious officer in his army. Passion, political intrigue and a fatal flaw are at the center of this intense musical drama that stands at the pinnacle of grand opera experiences. Now that you've studied the opera and seen it, what were your impressions? Tell us what you think and post your reviews here! Did you like the opera and why? Which was your favorite character and why? Did you like the costumes and sets? What did you think of Mark Delavan, who sang Iago from a wheelchair? Who had the best and most impressive singing voice? Your review should be at least 50 words or more. Please include your first name, school and ...